Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,087 members, 7,880,392 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 05:24 PM

Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! (13533 Views)

Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos / This "Illiterate" Got Only The Spelling Of His Name Right / Spelling Errors On Nairaland Are Driving Me Nuts! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by Nobody: 10:25am On Aug 30, 2008
grin grin cheesy-- smiley wink-- undecided------- angry angry angry
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by tommyex(m): 10:29am On Aug 30, 2008
Miss sexy which 1 is OUTSPOKEN ENGLISH again? inspoken english nko?
You guys are funny jare
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by Nobody: 11:17am On Aug 30, 2008
I can deal with wrong spelling errors, typo's etc.
As long as I can determine what's being written, I have no issues with bad grammar.

I must say, my pet hate is shortening of words / text talk.
Now, that's annoying. Sure, in a text message, where space may be at a premium, I can understand.
When it spills over into everyday writing, I find that really gets to me.

Especially when a total stranger contacts you via YIM, and begins with that plaintive cry -

ASL?
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by MrCrackles(m): 11:27am On Aug 30, 2008
Typo errors is inevitable at times, at least you get the message in most cases

Spelling errors could be mistaken for typo error at times

Bad grammar is a disease that is incurable! grin
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by benice2: 11:42am On Aug 30, 2008
English is a borrowed language oooohhh!!!!!!!, its not our language.
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by U1(m): 12:04pm On Aug 30, 2008
@ Poster

You are no professor yourself, from "appauling" to "appaling". Oh my gosh! Wonders shall never cease. By the way, are you a Nigerian? If your answer is yes, then I say shame on you for singling out Nigeria for this.
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by Jarus(m): 12:57pm On Aug 30, 2008
Where is CGO(the thread starter) now? Has he run away? Has our teacher gone into hiding?

I haven't seen his posts again since that faux pas. But I thought he wanted to take us tutorials on spelling?

It is very appauling ooooooo grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by deept(m): 1:10pm On Aug 30, 2008
I eolv Ngierains adn Ngieair.
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by Nobody: 1:41pm On Aug 30, 2008
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by alabees: 1:53pm On Aug 30, 2008
ABEG GRAMMAR NO MONEY, YEYE FOWLS , ENGLISH NO BE OUR MOTHER TONGUES. LET CELEBRATE OUR OUR LANGUAGES INSTEAD OF GLORIFYING OYINBO'S OWN [color=#550000][/color][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by DereI(f): 2:03pm On Aug 30, 2008
alabees:

ABEG GRAMMAR NO MONEY, YEYE FOWLS , ENGLISH NO BE OUR MOTHER TONGUES. LET CELEBRATE OUR OUR LANGUAGES INSTEAD OF GLORIFYING OYINBO'S OWN [color=#550000][/color][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

Its not about following "OYINBO's " tongue. Its about helping yourself to relate with other people in and out of this country. Its a language everybody knows as GENERAL LANGUAGE. So keep shut!!!
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by LearnBook: 2:09pm On Aug 30, 2008
Just a quick note:

85% of students doing their Waec, Neco or Jamb exams fail English and Maths.  It does not surprise me that so many of them struggle with the language.
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by zelaws: 2:10pm On Aug 30, 2008
@poster
Bro CGO congrat on yuor open heavens and showers of insults tongue tongue grin
remenber you are the master of ur destiny  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by slimnike(m): 2:17pm On Aug 30, 2008
Dere I:

Its not about following "OYINBO's " tongue. Its about helping yourself to relate with other people in and out of this country. Its a language everybody knows as GENERAL LANGUAGE. So keep shut!!!
Ok, Maybe you can add French and German languages to Your's. Communicator. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by rasputinn(m): 2:20pm On Aug 30, 2008
link=topic=165180.msg2728731#msg2728731 date=1220102236:

It's appaling that a large population of our so called educated Nigerians still make simple spelling errors in writing and speech.
Examples:
1. This particular one irritates the hell out of me! -  DEFINATELY AS OPPOSED TO DEFINITELY

That one really beats me as it's so rampantly used here on Nland
Really makes me wonder
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by Wallie(m): 3:36pm On Aug 30, 2008
At least for most of us English is not our first language; “English” came to us on a boat. On a side note, the Nigerians that I went to law school with always get an additional extra hour on their exams because they claim English is not their first language. I think that's BS considering that they already have a law degree from Nigeria.

What I do find appalling is when mistakes are made in the Newspapers, at least on their websites; don’t they have editors? Typographical and punctuation errors are somewhat excusable depending on who your audience is. When your audience is in a formal setting you have to put your best foot forward and any errors, especially in written form, is perceived as unprofessional or laziness.

Everybody makes mistakes. It’s even worse when you hear Americans, me included, speak in a non-professional setting.
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by Anambra99: 4:14pm On Aug 30, 2008
Spelling mistakes. It is an instituitional matter. The government is in support of it. If you want to kmow how the government supports bad English then stay on this thread, I will explain ecerything to you. Just know that the government of Nigeria is in total support of poor English and mediccre academic performance.
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by seyibrown(f): 4:41pm On Aug 30, 2008
A round of applause for you all!

The best laugh I have had in ages.  grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by vichel(m): 5:29pm On Aug 30, 2008
this is the funniest thread i hv ever come across, and i am sooo happy i did. Nigerians are simply d best wink

@ first poster Duuuude!!! cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by shylladear(f): 5:33pm On Aug 30, 2008
@poster
u can decide to help out maybe by becoming a lecturer grin
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by amaechijay: 5:36pm On Aug 30, 2008
These errors can be attributed to oversight
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by Planner(m): 6:01pm On Aug 30, 2008
It is very sad and totally appaling for nigerian s to be criticised for not spelling correctly, when other nations are no better. if in doubt read http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1832104,00.html
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by justbones(m): 6:10pm On Aug 30, 2008
well for posting stuff on forums, the common goal is to get the message across irrespective of the form or manner.
In this case, one could assume that the spelling mistake when making the post was to attract people to view and possibly respond.
So far i would say that it has achieved its purpose.
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by ExInferis(m): 6:47pm On Aug 30, 2008
there are other areas of deficit besides spelling errors. lets not forget SOFTWARES, FURNITURES, EQUIPMENTS, INFORMATIONS, DATAS etc which we see with shocking frequency especially in the print media. or the grammatical blunder often so common in conversations (eg did you SAW him/her?) where tenses and verbs do not modify noun structures.

thers also "whooping sum" rather than "whopping sum" most seen in newspapers.

pronunciation too suffers in naija. how many people pronounce fiance and fiancee, which are pronounced exactly the same (fionsay), as "fians" for the female and "fiansay" for the male or vice versa? ive heard this often.

cruel, duel and fuel suddenly become cruwel, duwel and fuwel.

and then of course should, shall, would and will are victims of improper usage.

most of these errors would've been forgivable were they spawned by mother tonque inflections, but sadly you often come across seemingly well educated people spouting and writing rubbish. during my stint in a certain local government secretariat in my NYSC years i came face to face with unbelievable instances of poor english in official documents, right up the chain of command to the office of the chairman himself.

within our society we may forgive ourselves and take comfort in the knowledge that we all have our ethnic mother tonques to somewhat corrupt our pronunciation and verbal skills, but in official circles and outside our shores these errors are simply not acceptable. they place doubt on the quality of our educational system (not that the quality is there anyway).

its tragic, but then it reflects the policies that otherwise shape our educational institutions.

but the funniest have to be roadside banners and signs.
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by CGO: 8:56pm On Aug 30, 2008
I can see i am getting the desired attention! The thread is really funny though, but i guess we have learnt a thing or two from it! Ciao!
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by chi101: 9:00pm On Aug 30, 2008
really, it is "our paul in"
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by AKO1(m): 9:05pm On Aug 30, 2008
CGO:

I can see i am getting the desired attention! The thread is really funny though, but i guess we have learnt a thing or two from it! Ciao!

Dont now try to act like it was delebrate.

Apaling lair. angry angry
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by CGO: 9:08pm On Aug 30, 2008
@ako u can think what u like jerk!
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by AKO1(m): 9:25pm On Aug 30, 2008
CGO:

@ako u can think what u like

oviously duh?!

BTW u didnt make any mistake!! Congrats grin
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by ndumart: 9:30pm On Aug 30, 2008
@poster

Teacher don't teach me nonsense
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by sherrylo: 9:33pm On Aug 30, 2008
Zelaws na wah for you, which one be open heavens and showers of insult?no let Adeboye catch you oo
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by virgie(f): 11:47pm On Aug 30, 2008
@Poster

Chei, see wetin your "appauling" and "appaling" don cause for nairaland
You don go put leg inside aboki shit.

Sorry O! grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Prof Emmanuel Ayandele Is Dead, Ex Vice-Chancellor Of The University Of Calabar / Yabatech Post Ume 2010/2011 / Twitter User Says, 'sugar Daddies Have Contributed Immensely To Education'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.