Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,691 members, 7,885,871 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 04:35 PM

Sarah Palin Is A Mistake - Foreign Affairs (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Sarah Palin Is A Mistake (10688 Views)

Poll: Choice Of Sarah Palin Is A Mistake?

Yes: 75% (12 votes)
No: 25% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

The Media's Unhealthy Obsession With Sarah Palin / Did Sarah Palin Pass Off Her Teenage Daughter's Child As Hers? / Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by NegroNtns(m): 3:47pm On Sep 09, 2008
only one of the measures Obama has sponsored as a US. senator has been enacted: a bill to “promote relief, security, and democracy in the Democratic Republic of Congo.”

That legislation passed because it contained the keyword "pygmies".  His colleagues in Senate had no clue how to argue against that.  It could blowup as an opposition against "little people".
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by Ibime(m): 4:05pm On Sep 09, 2008
Tayo-D:

In the mean time, only one of the measures Obama has sponsored as a US. senator has been enacted: a bill to “promote relief, security, and democracy in the Democratic Republic of Congo.” that Bill is sandwitch between two personal memoirs he's written. Is this the guy some are counting on to bring change?

Negro_Ntns:

That legislation passed because it contained the keyword "pygmies".  His colleagues in Senate had no clue how to argue against that.  It could blowup as an opposition against "little people". 

For you, that is a laughing matter. . . .Republican mentality seeping into your erstwhile African thinking. . . .On a Congolese thread, they may be discussing that the only thing Obama has done is call for Niger Delta militants to shun violence. . . . and they will be laughing about it, jesting that Obama's only record is helping out common Nigeria. . . . .  disgusting!. . . . still, this bill is of great interest to Congolese and Africans and as an African, this only helps to solidify my support for Obama. . . . . if you are going to argue against Obama on Nairaland, I suggest you do not poke fun at any steps he has made regarding Africa because that is a surefire vote-loser for you. . . . . I remember that some Republicans were arguing that Obama would not promote USA's traditional alliances with Europe but may soften foreign policy toward Africa. . . . that made me so angry ehn!
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by NegroNtns(m): 4:12pm On Sep 09, 2008
Ibime, how do you see it? Tell me.

I see, each life is equal but some are more equal than others

There is nothing like equality in life. Okay? People that go around looking for equality are disillusioned. In life, there should be fairness and thats what we ought to struggle to achieve - fairness, not equaslity. But hey, thats a discussion for another day another thread. Let me stay focused here on election.
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by TayoD1(m): 4:13pm On Sep 09, 2008
@Ibime,

For you, that is a laughing matter
common. Where is anyone laughing? I merely stated his record and here yhou are going on the offensive. Abeg cooloo temper.

Is this the same Obama that dismissed Nigeria as a haven for 419ers? Is this the same guy that threw his grandma and supposedly uncle under the bus for political expediency? Please don't be fooled that he cares nothing for Africa. Will you say Bush cares more for Africa than Clinton because of his record of giving more aid to Africa?

I think it will be good to focus more on record than the intentions of a man's heart. Afterall, I have stated why I think palin is more experienced than Obama and I am still awaiting your response.
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by Ibime(m): 4:14pm On Sep 09, 2008
. . . . . . . .
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by TayoD1(m): 4:27pm On Sep 09, 2008
@Ibime,

Barack Obama - Around 129 Bills sponsored, 1 successful
Hillary Clinton - Around 354 Bills sponsored, 2 successful
John McCain - Around 403 Bills sponsored, 12 successful
Let's put this in proper perspective. If we are looking at who is able to get anything done through bipartisan support and the ability to unite the country, we have to consider averages.

Obama - Average of 1 Bill passed per 129 Bills (and still counting) sponsored.
Hillary - Average of 1 Bill passed per 177 Bills (and still counting) sponsored.
McCain - Average of 1 Bill passed per 34 Bills (and still counting) sponsored.

Doesn't this tell us McCain is a better achiever than both of these people put together? Infact, you have provided us with a more solid reason why the change we need is McCain  grin.
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by Ibime(m): 5:02pm On Sep 09, 2008
Tayo-D:

@Ibime,
Let's put this in proper perspective. If we are looking at who is able to get anything done through bipartisan support and the ability to unite the country, we have to consider averages.

Obama - Average of 1 Bill passed per 129 Bills (and still counting) sponsored.
Hillary - Average of 1 Bill passed per 177 Bills (and still counting) sponsored.
McCain - Average of 1 Bill passed per 34 Bills (and still counting) sponsored.

Doesn't this tell us McCain is a better achiever than both of these people put together? Infact, you have provided us with a more solid reason why the change we need is McCain  grin.

That thing you posted was Republican propaganda and the one I posted was incorrect and only reflects bills sponsored individually. I can now reveal Obama's true record:

Senator Obama has sponsored or co-sponsored 570 bills in the 109th and 110th Congress. Senator Obama has sponsored or co-sponsored 15 bills that have become LAW since he joined the Senate in 2005.

Senator McCain has sponsored or co-sponsored 1667 bills of which 17 have become LAW since he joined the Senate in 1987. . . . . .    

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bills_sponsored_by_John_McCain_in_the_United_States_Senate

So please do that Mathematics again Mr Tayo-D.

The Republicans would love to isolate single bills which only have one sponsor to use as propaganda. The fact is that Obama needs not sponsor a bill by himself. He is used to working with people. This is crass and unacceptable manipulation of mathematical data.

Senator Obama has also introduced amendments to 50 bills, of which 16 were adopted by the Senate. His record is infact quite impressive for a junior Senator from Illinois.  Details below,       

I summarize Senator Obama's legislative record in the US Senate.  First I list the bills he sponsored that have become law.  Next I summarize the bills that he has sponsored or cosponsored since he became a US Senator in 2005.I have only included major pieces of legislation and have not summarized continuing resolutions or naming post offices, for example.His record suggests several priorities and the bills he supports address many of our most pressing problems.Most of his legislative effort has been in the area of Energy Efficiency and Climate Change (25 bills), health care (21 bills) and public health (20 bills), consumer protection/labor (14 bills), the needs of Veterans and the Armed Forces (13 bills), Congressional Ethics and Accountability (12 bills), Foreign Policy (10 bills) Voting and Elections (9 bills), Education (7 bills), Hurricane Katrina Relief (6), the Environment (5 bills), Homeland Security (4 bills), and discrimination (4 bills). 

Of the 15 bills Senator Obama sponsored or co-sponsored in 2005-7 that became law:

Two addressed foreign policy:
-Promote relief, security and democracy in the Congo (2125)
-Develop democratic institutions in areas under Palestinian control (2370).

Three addressed public health:
-Improve mine safety (2803)
-Increased breast cancer funding (597)
-Reduce preterm delivery and complications, reduce infant mortality (707).

Two addressed openness and accountability in government:
-Strengthening the Freedom of Information Act (2488)
-Full disclosure of all entities receiving federal funds (2590)

Two addressed national security:
-Extend Terrorist Risk Insurance (467)
-Amend the Patriot Act (2167)

One addressed the needs of the Armed Forces:
-Wave passport fees to visit graves, attend memorials/funerals of veterans abroad (1184).
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by KojoAseda(m): 5:09pm On Sep 09, 2008
Sarah Palin has all of the characteristics of a close-minded, Christian fundamentalist. Her positions are extremist and she's a corrupt hypocrite.

So how will things go for McCain-Palin? Probably just fine.

If there's one thing you have to understand about Americans, it's that we are ignorant and completely ungrateful for the freedom that so many of us have fought for. Americans have been completely bought out by the media and Christian fundamentalism. We shake our fingers at Iran for being extremist while trying to outlaw homosexuality and basic freedom in our own country.

Obama is really the last great hope in this godforsaken country.

Religion is poison to the political process.
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by Kobojunkie: 5:13pm On Sep 09, 2008
Kojo Aseda:

Sarah Palin has all of the characteristics of a close-minded, Christian fundamentalist. Her positions are extremist and she's a corrupt hypocrite.

So how will things go for McCain-Palin? Probably just fine.

If there's one thing you have to understand about Americans, it's that we are ignorant and completely ungrateful for the freedom that so many of us have fought for. Americans have been completely bought out by the media and Christian fundamentalism. We shake our fingers at Iran for being extremist while trying to outlaw homosexuality and basic freedom in our own country.

Obama is really the last great hope in this godforsaken country.

Religion is poison to the political process.

And the wise one has spoken. The very same who does not understand that his own religion is what he is spewing for all to read now,
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by KojoAseda(m): 5:17pm On Sep 09, 2008
What religion? Perhaps I follow an ideology that embraces science and reason as alternatives to faith, but I would never call that "religion."

Even if that's true, my point still stands. If America elects McCain-Palin the country will continue down the road to Christian fascism that it started traveling eight years ago. Our economy will continue to crumble and our civil rights will be rapidly eroded. That has nothing to do with my religious views, that has to do with the platform of the Right-wing Christian fundamentalists.
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by Ibime(m): 5:23pm On Sep 09, 2008
"Anyone who underestimates the intelligence of Americans is on to a sure money-maker" - Famous quote.

As usual, the uneducated redneck voter will believe anything you tell him about Obama's Senate record.

That propaganda about Obama only passing one bill into law to do with the Congo is a sure-fire tactic to play on racial fears.

i.e: Obama is only concerned about Africa.

And these two suckers, Negro Ntns and Tayo-D got sucked into it.

"The fly wey follow dead body enter grave will also be buried." - Famous Igbo quote.

They would have you believe that Obama is a lazy, colly-muddling freeloader only living off hype whilst the evidence to date points to a different story. This is a highly educated, sophisticated and successful young black man who has worked very hard to get where he is. And he didn't do it by nepotism or by marrying into rich society. . . . he did it by hardwork. Every last drop of sweat was expended to get where he is. I don't need to tell you the difficult challenges that one needs to overcome for a man from his background to be where he is today. Many of us have gone and are going through it and can definitely relate.
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by Kobojunkie: 5:24pm On Sep 09, 2008
Kojo Aseda:

What religion? Perhaps I follow an ideology that embraces science and reason as alternatives to faith, but I would never call that "religion."

Even if that's true, my point still stands. If America elects McCain-Palin the country will continue down the road to Christian fascism that it started traveling eight years ago. Our economy will continue to crumble and our civil rights will be rapidly eroded. That has nothing to do with my religious views, that has to do with the platform of the Right-wing Christian fundamentalists.

Sure, your point stands that you are religious person whose political views are based on his religious believes, in this case, his beliefs in science and reason, trying to tell other religious people to separate their religion from politics.
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by KojoAseda(m): 5:26pm On Sep 09, 2008
"Anyone who underestimates the intelligence of Americans is on to a sure money-maker" - Famous quote.

As usual, the uneducated redneck voter will believe anything you tell him about Obama's Senate record.

That propaganda about Obama only passing one bill into law to do with the Congo is a sure-fire tactic to play on racial fears.

"The fly wey follow dead body enter grave will also be buried." - Famous Igbo quote.

They would have you believe that Obama is a lazy, colly-muddling freeloader only living off hype whilst the evidence to date points to a different story. This is a highly educated, sophisticated and successful young black man who has worked very hard to get where he is. And he didn't do it by nepotism or by marrying into rich society. . . . he did it by hardwork. Every last drop of sweat was expended to get where he is. I don't need to tell you the difficult challenges that one needs to overcome for a man from his background to be where he is today. Many of us have gone and are going through it and can definitely relate.

Great post.
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by Ibime(m): 5:27pm On Sep 09, 2008
Kobojunkie and Kojo, stop derailing the thread abeg. Let people come and witness the distasteful propaganda Tayo-D and Negro are spitting here.
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by KojoAseda(m): 5:29pm On Sep 09, 2008
Sure, your point stands that you are religious person whose political views are based on his religious believes, in this case, his beliefs in science and reason, trying to tell other religious people to separate their religion from politics.

Yes, people should by all means separate their religion from their politics. I don't want to have to live according to Christian dogma - I don't believe in Jesus.

And please - clarity!
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by Kobojunkie: 5:30pm On Sep 09, 2008
Kojo Aseda:

Yes, people should by all means separate their religion from their politics. I don't want to have to live according to Christian dogma - I don't believe in Jesus.

And please - clarity!

But you want people to live according to your science and reason dogma? What if they do not believe in science and reason, according to your understanding of it?
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by KojoAseda(m): 5:35pm On Sep 09, 2008
Reason dogma? So you are comparing wanting everyone to believe in a naked dead guy to wanting everyone to be reasonable?

A secular political process is the embodiment of freedom. Everyone can make his or her choice in what they want to believe without being pressured by the state to believe a certain way.

That's what Political Liberalism stands for. Pluralism, plain and simple.

End of discussion. As Ibime said, let's not derail this thread.
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by TayoD1(m): 5:38pm On Sep 09, 2008
@Ibime,

Of the 15 bills Senator Obama sponsored or co-sponsored in 2005-7 that became law:
Two addressed foreign policy:
-Promote relief, security and democracy in the Congo (2125)
[b]-Develop democratic institutions in areas under Palestinian control (2370).
Where did you get your information from. You guys are so full of lies its unbelievable. Legislation S. 2370 was sponsored by Sen. Mitch McConnell, a Republican and was co-sponsored by 70 Senators among whom were Senators McCain and Obama.  http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s109-2370
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by Ibime(m): 5:41pm On Sep 09, 2008
Why not click on the link you provided and click on the cosponsors? Hillary is there along with Obama.
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by RichyBlacK(m): 5:42pm On Sep 09, 2008
Ibime:

Excellent post!!

Ibime, please continue to educate illiterate rednecks like Kobojunkie. Thanks.
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by Kobojunkie: 5:50pm On Sep 09, 2008
Kojo Aseda:

Reason dogma? So you are comparing wanting everyone to believe in a naked dead guy to wanting everyone to be reasonable?

A secular political process is the embodiment of freedom. Everyone can make his or her choice in what they want to believe without being pressured by the state to believe a certain way.

That's what Political Liberalism stands for. Pluralism, plain and simple.

End of discussion. As Ibime said, let's not derail this thread.

Interesting…. And you do not realize how your belief shapes your political views? Well, I think you should spend sometime thinking about it.
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by Ibime(m): 5:52pm On Sep 09, 2008
We can expose more propaganda aimed at labelling Obama as lazy and flip-flopping:

Obama has voted "present" 60 fewer times than McCain.

McCain Misses 60% Of Senate Votes. At least Obama is there to vote present.

In April, Sen. John McCain became the most absent member of the Senate. According to the Washington Post’s votes database, McCain has “missed 367 votes (61.4%) during the current Congress.” In fact, CQ reports today that McCain hasn’t voted in the Senate since April 8. Sen. Barack Obama last voted on July of this year.

Funny how the Republicans, Palin specifically, have to reach back to the three years following Obama's graduation from college to make comparisons between her and him. Conveniently forgetting to mention him being a civil rights lawyer and teaching constitutional law. I guess Palin, with her stunning journalism degree knew better than to wade into that pool
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by TayoD1(m): 5:55pm On Sep 09, 2008
@Ibime,

Don't you think plagiarism is something to be ashamed of? Why didn't you provide us with the source of your information? Are you afraid or ashamed to do that?
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by TayoD1(m): 5:59pm On Sep 09, 2008
@ibime,

I summarize Senator Obama's legislative record in the US Senate. First I list the bills he sponsored that have become law. Next I summarize the bills that he has sponsored or cosponsored since he became a US Senator in 2005.I have only included major pieces of legislation and have not summarized continuing resolutions or naming post offices, for example.His record suggests several priorities and the bills he supports address many of our most pressing problems.Most of his legislative effort has been in the area of Energy Efficiency and Climate Change (25 bills), health care (21 bills) and public health (20 bills), consumer protection/labor (14 bills), the needs of Veterans and the Armed Forces (13 bills), Congressional Ethics and Accountability (12 bills), Foreign Policy (10 bills) Voting and Elections (9 bills), Education (7 bills), Hurricane Katrina Relief (6), the Environment (5 bills), Homeland Security (4 bills), and discrimination (4 bills).
Can you see how many times you used the personal pronoun "I" in the submission above. yet like Biden, you don't think it is plagiarism to give credit to the source?
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by TayoD1(m): 6:10pm On Sep 09, 2008
@Ibime,

-Increased breast cancer funding (597)
There is no Bill like this. Was it enacted in Congo? grin
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by Ibime(m): 6:11pm On Sep 09, 2008
Tayo-D:

@ibime,
Can you see how many times you used the personal pronoun "I" in the submission above. yet like Biden, you don't think it is plagiarism to give credit to the source?

Excuse me that I didn't give you my source. . . . .is this another Republican tactic to cloud the debate? . . . I didn't give you my source because it was culled from a partizan website and I hate to use partizan references. . . . however, you cannot dispute the validity of the bills otherwise you would have by now. . . the fact that those bills are listed each with its own number should let you know that they can be checked for any discrepancies. . . . if the information is in anyway wrong, you would have pulled it up by now. . . . unlike your "Congo bill" propaganda which could be corrected by a quick google search.

I will leave you with something I found on http://johnmccain.meetup.com/31/messages/boards/thread/4804209. . . . . again this typifies the extremism of a lot of Republican voters. . . .the fact that this guy is on a John McCain forum spitting such extremist bunkum and nobody even bothered to scold or correct him. . . . this is the main reason why you Republicans should just forget about winning the black vote. . . .we may agree with your policies but the attitudes of some of your voters leave a nauseating smell. . . . .

Angelina - One other thing I wanted to mention is that McCain's chances of getting elected will skyrocket if we go to war with Iran. We should set up a letter-to-the-editor committee and network with other McCain supporters in other cities to write letters to newspapers and blogs demanding war with Iran. That might give Bush enough support to do it before he leaves office and then the American people might clamor for a battle-tested war hero like McCain.

A war with Iran would be over within a couple of weeks. We'll lose some ships and troops since Iran apparently has a bunch of Chinese Silkworm missiles, but Iran has no air force or navy and we can use tactical nuclear battlefield weapons on their major population centers. They aren't Christians anyway. Their soldiers will run when the Iranian people, who don't like their leadership, turn on them and our troops will be welcomed as liberators. Besides, war is good for the economy since it produces jobs. Also, Iran has a lot of oil that could pay for the war's costs. If we don't take Iran's oil, some other country like China or Russia will do it, so we should get there first. Afterwards, our oil companies can lower gasoline prices domestically which would be a big boost to the economy.

All things considered, I'm crossing my fingers for war with Iran. I hope that Bush has the courage to get it done.

Bill

P.S. We also really need some way to increase military enlistments. I don't see that happening and I don't favor a draft because I don't want my own sons to have to fight. Maybe we could work out some arrangement with Mexico?
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by Ibime(m): 6:18pm On Sep 09, 2008
Tayo-D:

@Ibime,
There is no Bill like this. Was it enacted in Congo? grin

Please do your google search again and correct yourself promptly.

Hint: Just type in "Obama co sponsored a bill for increased breast cancer funding"
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by Nobody: 6:20pm On Sep 09, 2008
Arguing with Tayo-D here is a waste of time.
the guy doesnt know anything, sorry to say.
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by TayoD1(m): 6:24pm On Sep 09, 2008
@Ibime,

Full disclosure of all entities receiving federal funds (2590)
Is this the same Bill he co-sponsored with 47 other Senators including McCain and yet never followed it during his campaign?

@Davidylan,

Arguing with Tayo-D here is a waste of time. the guy doesnt know anything, sorry to say.
When adults are discussing, you should shut your mouth. In the mean time, I have given you some homework which you are yet to finish. Go respond to the "experience" difference I listed in response to your question.
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by Ibime(m): 6:29pm On Sep 09, 2008
lol @ Tayo-D giving David homework. . . . una go kill me with lafta for Nairaland o!
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by Nobody: 6:29pm On Sep 09, 2008
Tayo-D:

@Davidylan,
When adults are discussing, you should shut your mouth. In the mean time, I have given you some homework which you are yet to finish. Go respond to the "experience" difference I listed in response to your question.

lol having kids and being married is not synonymous with being an adult, a 17 yr old can impregnate a woman too. I gave you plenty of homework before, you skillfully dodged all of it.
I try very hard to restrain myself in my choice of words when it comes to you, you honestly dont want me to lose that self restraint. It wont be pretty.
Re: Sarah Palin Is A Mistake by TayoD1(m): 6:34pm On Sep 09, 2008
@Davidylan,

lol having kids and being married is not synonymous with being an adult, a 17 yr old can impregnate a woman too. I gave you plenty of homework before, you skillfully dodged all of it.
I try very hard to restrain myself in my choice of words when it comes to you, you honestly don't want me to lose that self restraint. It wont be pretty.
While you know the respect is mutual, you also know the predatory instinct is mutually inborn.

Don't you think it takes a lot of audacity for someone who did know that Ronald Reagan was ever a State Governor (albeit 2 terms), calling another person ignorant?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Mali: Al-qaeda Allies Plot Revenge Attacks In Nigeria / JUST IN: US Announces Sanctions Targeting Venezuela’s Oil Industry / REVEALED!! South Africa Still Has Nuclear Weapons!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.