Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,465 members, 7,964,898 topics. Date: Thursday, 03 October 2024 at 12:26 AM

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (536) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) (537950 Views)

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (533) (534) (535) (536) (537) (538) (539) ... (776) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by rasputinn(m): 9:26am On Apr 15, 2008
@ Jackal and Vieira
you can wax psychological/intellectual or whatever in trying to counter a dissenting post,
but to condescend to use of curse words
speaks less of supposedly civilised people.

No matter how pissed off you may be
why not just yell,or kick out or or
or break something around you,your laptops will be good objects to break in such moments of rage
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by rasputinn(m): 9:28am On Apr 15, 2008
Culled from Tunji Bee's write up

The answer to these questions does not lie on any referee’s decisions working against the team as Manager Arsene Wenger wants the world to believe. It lies in Mr. Arsene Wenger himself and his idealistic fixation with pacy entertainment football built around youthful and skilful players competing at the highest level on a balanced budget. There was actually a precedent for Wenger to follow. The great Ajax team of early to mid 90s that dominated the Dutch League in Europe and won the champions league was a team whose players’ average age was 19 years old. With the exception of Frank Rijkaard who is coaching Barcelona today, some of its best players such as Clarence Seedorf, Nwankwo Kanu, Patrick Kluivert and Edgar Davids are still playing for top European clubs till today. When Sir Alex Ferguson tried to experiment it with Manchester United in 1997, he went home that season trophyless. The following season he infused experienced players and by 1999, he won a treble. Unfortunately for Wenger, the reality of today has made his ideal unworkable. Globalisation has caught up with football. Great clubs are no longer national but international. The super money-men produced by globalisation era has come to see football particularly the premiership, as a super vehicle for the propagation of their global business empires and have thus begun to take over, buying not only top clubs, but buying up the best players in the world. In England, when Mr. Roman Abrahamnovich first came to upset the balance of premiership power by buying Chelsea, no one took notice until he bought Coach Jose Mourinho. Mourinho went on buying spree and bought some of the best players in the world and both his first and reserve team became loaded. Before the boards of both Arsenal and Manchester United would realise it, he had won the league in two successive seasons. In the following year of 2006-2007, Sir Alex Ferguson of Man U, knew he had a big fight in his hand, he responded well and strengthened his team with Vidic, Evra and Carrick. Result: he won the premiership. This season too, he strengthened the team further with Nani, Hargreaves, Tevez, and Anderson. Similarly, Liverpool got taken over by American tycoons and the coach responded spending big to bring some Europe’s best players such as Fernando Torres, Ryan Babel, Benayoun, Voronin among others. Only Mr. Wenger refused to respond to this reality believing that his nurturing of fresh talents and playing some magnificent football would make him compete better. He calls it “sticking to our belief”.
Mr. Wenger’s experience reminds me of the colour revolution which THISDAY Newspaper unleashed on the media in late 90s. When the paper started publishing in colour, the rest of the media industry saw it as a flash in the pan. It was not meant to last, as cost-wise, it could not be sustained. So the other newspapers thought. I remember then as an editor of National Concord, a paper that was then Nigeria’s largest circulating, I joined in taking the colour revolution for granted. A little over a year later, it suddenly dawn on us all that newspaper readers were already ahead of us in colour acceptability and were willing to pay for it and we all began to join THISDAY in the new era. It was a glaring example of how those with technical skill in a chosen field can sometimes get consumed by their expertise to the extent that they cannot read the mood of their consumers. I believe strongly that this is one major dilemma for Arsene Wenger. We now have a situation where Arsenal teeming followers worldwide are seeing a different picture from what the coach sees on a daily basis. You only needed to read the comments about Arsenal’s exit in foreign papers and on the web to see that they have all come to one conclusion. And that is this: Mr. Wenger must stop his endless nurturing of players and buy quality and experienced players in order to compete well and win trophies. Three years of trying to build a great team solely on youthful talents who refuse to imbibe hard winning mentality has produced no result. It’s time to allow conventional wisdom to prevail. After all, other clubs too have academies. Of all the four top teams in the premiership, Arsenal is the weakest in terms of depth of players and having options in matches. And the result shows. Only Arsenal of the big four has lost to all the three others at crucial matches.
Fans love the way Arsenal play and they pray for that brand of magnificent football to continue, but style alone won’t bring in rewards unless, the team is injected with experienced quality players. Imagine if Arsenal had players of Dimitar Berbatov or Eto’o or Wayne Rooney with the tens of chances its brand of football creates in every match, Arsenal would have long rapped up the season. Today’s Wenger’s boys lack killer instincts, lose concentration when it matters most and some of their defending are repetitively appaling. “Defence” as the saying goes in football, “win trophies, while attack win matches”. Mr. Wenger has never taken to this belief, which explains why the champions league has eluded him in his eleven years stay at Arsenal. Only Arsene Wenger will keep experimenting inconsistently disastrous Philip Senderos and Pascal Cygan for years. Only Mr. Wenger will parade school boy defenders like Justin Hoyte and Traore as alternatives to superlative Sagna and Clichy against killer instincts of Berbatov and Keane of Tottenham, Rooney and Nani of Man U. William Gallas and Kolo Toure have no able replacements hence overworked and liable to silly mistakes.
In the midfield, once Flamini, Cesc Fabregas, Hleb, Rosicky are injured, Arsenal can’t move ball again. They lost to Middlesbrough and was only lucky against Aston Villa on this count. Once Flamini becomes injured, the holding midfield collapses as it clearly showed against Liverpool during the last championship match when he caught an ankle injury. His replacement, Gilberto had given his best days two seasons ago and has become so slow unable to cope with the pace of English football any longer. An attack built on Adebayor has proven to be unreliable because Adebayor converts only one tenth of his chances. Many of his other strikers such as Van Persie and Rosicky are too injury prone to the extent that every half-season is spent in the treatment room. Strikers or attacking midfielders such as Bentdner or Emmanuel Eboue are too average and unpolished to produce first class performances when needed.
Mr. Wenger’s problem is not really money. Twice, he has refused to spend 70 million pounds given to him by the board preferring to stick with his lean but not wholly quality team. This is why his best players are over-worked and tire out when it matters most. The great coach must now begin to spend big to complement his alluring style of play. He must not shy away from competing for the best players in the market all because of price. He lost Ronaldo, Torres, Michael Essien, Didier Drogba, Berbatov, Makelele among others for this reason. Next season for fans must be dramatically different. They are tired of Senderos, Gilberto, Lehmahn, Emmanuel Eboue and Nicklas Bentdner who are always out of pace when it matters most. Let Hoyte and Traore seek more maturity elsewhere so they can horne their skill playing regularly. The team needs a minimum of six world class players to meet the club’s ambition. Emmanuel Adebayor needs competition to master the art of scoring from the likes of Eto’o or Berbatov as well as serve as a relief from injury-proned Van Persie. Both Flamini and Fabregas need players of equal standing to compete with them in midfield. Two top class alternate central defenders as well as one-wing back are too essential for future success. Some top class English players can no longer be ignored. Arsene Wenger’s team must also learn to keep concentration throughout matches. They must not just win beautifully, but must also be able to win ugly against small teams such as Middlesbrough, Birmingham, Wigan, and Sunderland who often put nine men behind the balls against Arsenal. That is what makes a champion.
But I can bet it that Mr. Wenger will not change except his hands are forced by the owners. To say his three-year experiment has blown up like that is to injure his belief and ego. And if Arsenal board cannot tame him, then the ultimate is the hostile take over by the Russian hawk.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by rasputinn(m): 9:44am On Apr 15, 2008
Bottom line
If monsieur Wenger does not offload all the offloadables and buy amongts others
A quality centre back
An additional quality midfielder
And a world class goal poacher,then he's not ready to end the trophy drought @ The Emirates

Q.E.D
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Vieira(m): 12:41pm On Apr 15, 2008
People are always wise after the fact.

spending money is not always the answer, teams have spent more money than Arsenal for years and still remain below Arsenal.

I am not saying that Wenger should not spend but it needs to be tempered with the knowledge that we do not need to build a whole new team but just bring in reinforcements.

If you buy two big names for the mid-field you risk causing an upset to the team.

The type of players needed in my opinion are players of Eduardo's standing, not big names but quality players just reaching that stage where they are ready to make an impact on the football scene.

Another thing to take into account is the fact that Wenger's strength is with nurturing potential and not buying established players, just looking at Reyes and Baptista should illustrate my point.

I would keep faith with Wenger, no one could be hurt more than him by the collapse of the season.

NB. rasputin, I did not swear at you and I chose carefully the names I mentioned and it was actually in a lighthearted manner not venomous. do not take it as me actually being that upset. It's called banter.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Jackal1(m): 1:18pm On Apr 15, 2008
@ Rasputinn,

Who is Tunji Bee?
His write-up is horrendously flawed cos Man United won the Premiership in 1997.
How he got his information is making me skin creep.

Arsene Wenger will not change his stand. . . . . He is French and they can be very proud.
He believes in his youth policy schitzo and he has made it clear that he is only adding an experienced player.
Matter of fact, i heard he is only looking for a goalkeeper(PSV's Gomez). grin grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by topeorekoy(m): 1:45pm On Apr 15, 2008
@jackal,

AW is just making me sick, he shld better sign pple rather than sign only a goal keeper. he shld up his big for diego and buy other quality cover for fab4, flamini (thats if he is still staying), hleb, adebayor, gallas and toure
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Jackal1(m): 2:17pm On Apr 15, 2008
@ Topeorekoy,

Oh Ye Of Little Faith. . . . . . . . .
Have y'all suddenly lost faith in Wenger? I believe in his youth policy. . . .It nearly worked but injury and dodgy decisions went against him.
Arsenal play the best football in the planet. . . The kinda football played at the Emirates prevents GLOBAL WARMING.
There are new reports that fans @ the Emirates are more likely to die old because Arsenal's footie makes em happier than SEX.
If i were you, i would give him the needed support and finish in the 9th position next season. tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by topeorekoy(m): 2:27pm On Apr 15, 2008
i am not losing faith in AW he just needs to mix his policies with buying experienced players.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Jackal1(m): 2:46pm On Apr 15, 2008
@ Topeorekoy,

Negative!!!!!!

Who is an experienced player?
I suppose Lehmann(EPL title), Gallas,(2 EPL titles, Carling Cup) Gilberto([/b]World Cup, EPL) [b]Toure(EPL, FACup) are all experienced players. What else do u need? Are y'all guys Oliver Twist? Stick to the plans and fortune would smile on y'all.
Matter of fact, Wenger should sign a new contract till 2020. grin grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Akolawole(m): 3:02pm On Apr 15, 2008
@jackal

I still feel sorry for arsenal.

I did not give them a chance but they proved me wrong after xmas after which i believe they can win it.

Wenger is the only human i will blame.

The guy dont care about average fan.

First class arrogant man.

I am sure he will be there till 2050.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by topeorekoy(m): 3:24pm On Apr 15, 2008
wenger shld stay in arsenal till he wants to coach no more. he shld just find cover for his players. not looking at my bench and see players like hoyte, bendtner, traore and co. fab4, adebayor and co cant play all the games of the season. so he need to beef up the bench
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by presido1: 3:56pm On Apr 15, 2008
Jackal.:

@ Rasputinn,

Who is Tunji Bee?
Going by his write up he must be an arse fan. Frustration is taking part of them all. Until they hit the sledge hammer at that point
trophyless season upon trophyless season will remain their case.

Just seat and admire the mass exodus of most Non- English players in Arsenal.
We should beg Fargie and his Army to join La Liga so that other clubs like Ass will have the opportunity to win EPL tongue tongue
I can't choose between AW and AG, kan somebody help me out. grin grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by rasputinn(m): 4:54pm On Apr 15, 2008
Jackal.:

Arsene Wenger will not change his stand. . . . . He is French and they can be very proud.

Hmmmmmmmmm.That's fallacy of hasty generalisation(even if in this case you may not be entirely incorrect),but it's not really your problem whether he changes his stance or not.
Last time I checked,you were a Man u fan,so stop trying to be more catholic than the Pope

presido1:

We should beg Fargie and his Army to join La Liga so that other clubs like Ass will have the

You must be feeling very happy with yourself now,right
By the way who's Fargie?

topeorekoy:

@jackal,

AW is just making me sick, he shld better sign people rather than sign only a goal keeper.

I think he said that in the spur of the moment not wanting to be seen to be capitulating to pressure from all fronts to storm the market for players.I'm sure he'll have a rethink in order not to vindicate those that presently see him as an unrepentant ,incorrigible and proud man.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by presido1: 5:53pm On Apr 15, 2008
rasputinn:

By the way who's Fargie?
Always looking for typo, Fargie is that Great Man Wengay is trying very hard to be like.
U gat probs with that?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by Jackal1(m): 6:33pm On Apr 15, 2008
@ Rasputinn,

U smelly snort!!!

I heard Wenger himself say he would only make one addition in the summer. . . .
So because i am a Man Utd fan means i dunno more about ur gay club than u do?
What a load of piffle coming out of the mouth os a slimy ninny!!!!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by presido1: 8:54pm On Apr 15, 2008
EUROPEAN POWER RANKINGS

1 (1) Manchester United - 24.76

2 (2) Barcelona - 22.38

3 (5) Liverpool - 20.96

4 (4) Internazionale - 20.74

5 (6) Chelsea - 20.53

6 (3) Arsenal - 20.44

7 (7) Porto - 20.17

8 (9) Sevilla - 19.97

9 (cool Roma - 19.26

10 (11) Everton - 19.97

11 (10) Fenerbahce - 18.52

12 (12) Real Madrid - 17.66

13 (13) Bayern - 17.31

14 (14) Hamburg - 16.75

15 (16) Olympiacos - 16.74

16 (15) Milan - 16.63

17 (20) Rangers - 16.44

18 (18) Werder Bremen - 16.29

19 (19) Fiorentina - 16.15

20 (17) Lyon - 16.15
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/15042008/58/champions-league-european-power-rankings.html
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by mukina2: 9:14pm On Apr 15, 2008
Presido
must you post it everywhere tongue
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by presido1: 9:17pm On Apr 15, 2008
Do u want me to create a thread for it?
Its not for a particular club so it can be posted on any club thread.
take ur time now tongue tongue tongue
Meanwhile i hear say u no fit eat for like two days now. shocked shocked
why now? cool cool
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by mukina2: 9:29pm On Apr 15, 2008
You can post in here tongue

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=126426.msg2143777#msg2143777

where did u get that rumour from? cool
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by jgirl3: 9:33pm On Apr 15, 2008
Muki - sorry ehn. If it's paining you that much - then we're in trouble
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by mukina2: 9:48pm On Apr 15, 2008
LOL no ma smiley

dont mind Presido grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by 4Him1(m): 10:36pm On Apr 15, 2008
Bendtner, Gilberto, Diaby, Hoyte all must go!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by tkb417(m): 7:14am On Apr 16, 2008
Presido
must you post it everywhere

yes now, so u can see it and move over to our side

@4Him
chineke! are u a Gunner?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by dayokanu(m): 7:42am On Apr 16, 2008
Topeorekoy,
keep dreaming Diego Ko, Maradona ni, How would a promising Diego go to a hopeless club like Arsenal Diego is bigger than Arsenal.

Just keep Wengay, and you would win the Cocacola championship in 2012.

AW should buy Apam, Jay-Jay, and Rigobert Song.

@Presido,
The listing does not make sense at all. I wonder why Inter Milan is ahead of Real Madrid.

Everton ahead of Bayern Munich, Lyon and Real Madrid. All these English sites cant just be reasonable
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by sylvao2000(m): 8:01am On Apr 16, 2008
@poster you are so fake in all ur doing,
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by topeorekoy(m): 8:16am On Apr 16, 2008
dayokanu:

AW should buy Apam, Jay-Jay, and Rigobert Song.

@dayokanu
If AW buys apam or jay jay, he'll make them a superstar dont u knw that? see how he turned all these player's lives around

henry, viera, fab4,toure, clichy.

even if he buys u, u'll be a superstar in less than one season.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by dayokanu(m): 8:21am On Apr 16, 2008
The fact is that AW can never do anything good in coaching Imagine over 20years of coaching top sides from Monaco to Ass-anal and yet to win a European trophy of any type. Name any other so called top coach that is that woeful?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by topeorekoy(m): 9:17am On Apr 16, 2008
@DAYO KANU

can u give me a list of ur top notch coaches that has won something in europe
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by deola1(m): 9:36am On Apr 16, 2008
samson siasia and sunday oliseh
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by tkb417(m): 4:52pm On Apr 16, 2008
@Topeorekoy
SAF, Benitez, Maurinho, Ramos, Ancellotti, Rijkkard, Capello, Hitzfield, Lippi and even Yemi Tella (R.I.P)
LMAO!!!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by rasputinn(m): 5:21pm On Apr 16, 2008
yea I'm back from taking care of more serious business

@ Presidull

Couldn't reply earlier.But good to know you're using the terms I taught you.
Whoever said free education couln't be efficacious

@ Jackal

Don't mess with me boy.

Reminder;without sounding immodest,it's obvious you and I don't belong in the same league
As one far out of your ill-trained and mannerless league (pardon me but this' very obvious)
I would be belittling myself if I condescend to trading gutter language with you,though I have ways of calculatedly responding to your tantrums,this is the best way for me to get additional material for a particular thesis I'm working on about social deviants.

Thought you'd learnt your lesson when you came back from re-hab(went in as chacal got discharged as jackal)'talking about jackal,must you behave like one?Not that I'm really complaining as you are giving me free profiling material.

Please don't stop,just don't be physically violent.I still need you.

PS:There're some relevant personal questions I'd like to ask you,I'll get them in due course,so bring it on for now.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) by holythug(m): 5:23pm On Apr 16, 2008
grin grin grin i still laff @ dis club grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (533) (534) (535) (536) (537) (538) (539) ... (776)

Offical Bayern Munich Fan Thread: 6x Champions Of Europe / R36L Madrid - Most Successful & Greatest Champ15ns of Spain, Europe & W8rld / EPL Chatroom - All Discussions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.