Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,693 members, 7,938,093 topics. Date: Monday, 02 September 2024 at 05:21 PM

Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (73) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (515234 Views)

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion / Manchester United Fan Thread: Forever Reds / Manchester United Fan Thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) ... (784) (Go Down)

Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by 4Play(m): 10:46pm On Feb 20, 2007
Wey dat Loyika?

He is not talking now is he?Arsenal have only won one game in regular time in the last 6 matches

Mighty PSV grin.

Man Utd showed them the way.That is why we have won this competition twice and those assholes have never won anything.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by rikkyjen(m): 10:53pm On Feb 20, 2007
4 Play:

We have won grin

See how you do it in Europe grin

One of the most controversial victories of recent times! Ol'boy we just scrape through this one oo!. Ref cancelled their goal, Giggsy played the freekick before Ref blew. Do we deserve to win, i think not wink. prolly a draw would have reflected the match.yeah, but its called football, Sh!t happens.Its United day today, it could be lille's in Old trafford, we need to watch our back. Have never believed Osazes Bullsh!t for once, i recall him saying he would wreck Ghana, he did nada. Hope the guy would shut his uzbekistan mouth for once! wink

On the other hand Arsenal outplayed PSV in the first half but lost, Arsenal may not deserve to lose, but the fact they've been scraping wins after wins in their last few games which is worrisome to their fans and a joy to me and i knew against a quality team, they would suffer for it. No scraping and roforofo wins in europe, they can only do that with their perrenial wives : Spuds sad
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by cabali(m): 10:59pm On Feb 20, 2007
Very controversial I agree but at the end it will just be debate and a still stuck 3 points

Man U's play was actually flimsy but luck and smart play by giggs makes the fact unimportant
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by 4Play(m): 11:01pm On Feb 20, 2007
@rikkyjen

Ref need not blow his whistle.The freekick was perfecly in order.Arsenal fans know a lot about this because Henry used to do it.Won't it be ironic if all those Arsenal fans who used to defend Henry's early freekicks come on this forum to attack this one?

Arsenal have been having a number of lucky wins.Just check out what happened against Wigan.That Wigan game is the only one they have won in normal time over the past 6 games.

In Europe I knew they will be found out.if you look at Wenger's horrible record in Europe,it is not surprising to see them lose
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by jgirl3: 11:09pm On Feb 20, 2007
At least Man Utd. won! I love them.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by 9ja4eva: 12:45am On Feb 21, 2007
Wateva,

We have the 3points.Good Play Giggs.Hope they cancel the return leg cos we werent treated well @ orl.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by wormedup(m): 7:57am On Feb 21, 2007
TV pundits got it wrong on disallowed goal
By Graham Poll

There are times in life when you are damned if you do and damned if you don't, and it has never felt more the case than this weekend.

After an enjoyable game at the Hawthorns, where West Bromwich beat Manchester City 2-0 on Saturday, I returned home happy that I had given a good account of myself.

The reason for my frustration was twofold. First, that despite numerous attempts by match officials to explain free kick procedure there still appears to be some confusion. Second, that even after clarifying on BBC and Sky Sports the situation regarding the disallowed goal in the 83rd minute, I received harsh criticism on both channels.

There are two options for a side when they are awarded a free kick in an attacking position. They can elect to take it quickly and forfeit the right for their opponents to retreat 10 yards. Once this decision is taken the referee will signal for the game to restart, however he chooses - a wave of his hand is sufficient or a short blast of the whistle. Once the kick is taken, if the ball strikes an opponent who is less than 10 yards away then play will continue.

Alternatively, the attacking team can ask for a 'ceremonial' free kick, at which the referee will make it clear that it should not be taken until the whistle is blown. The defensive wall is then moved back the required distance, the referee will take up the optimum position and then blow his whistle.

If the attacking team take the kick before the whistle and gain an advantage, usually by putting the ball in the net, then the kick will have to be retaken. If, however, the kick is taken before the whistle is blown and the ball goes wide then the transgression is ignored and a goal-kick is awarded. This can lead to accusations of inconsistency, but it is important that the team who have now become the offenders are not given a second chance.

These procedures are laid out within the Advice On The Application Of The Laws Of The Game booklet issued to all match officials by the Football Association.

So, one can see the difference between Thierry Henry's goal at Highbury against Chelsea (a quick free kick) and Richard Dunne's strike against West Bromwich (a ceremonial) being ruled out.

The reason Dunne was not cautioned was that it was Robbie Fowler who asked me about the 'ceremonial' and Dunne may not have been aware of the situation.

With this difference in mind, I felt it necessary to give post-match interviews when asked to do so. The broadcasters asked if I could go on straight away due to limited air time.

Imagine my dismay when this was misconstrued as me taking the opportunity to be on TV and then I am accused of duplicity.

I categorically stated on TV that I had not blown the whistle, yet both channels asserted that I did. The players would, I am sure, verify that the whistle was not blown and it's clear from the video that Fowler was agreeing with me. Initially referees were encouraged to give post-match interviews to clarify points of law. It is a pity these interviews are being used to provide controversy.

Referees are happy to try to educate everyone in the subtleties of the laws and it would be disappointing if our best efforts were to be used against us.

there shouldn't be any problems understanding that cool
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by ehie007(m): 8:07am On Feb 21, 2007
J-girl stil no offence on the other thread. ONE UNITED.

Thank God we narrowly won! but we had our chances but blew them.
ronaldo,rooney, giggsy.

our goal wasnt controversial the referee made a right decision.
the wall was already set and the refree assumed lille were ready so he gave a signal for giggs to play.

i guess all arsenal fans were quiet yesterday.
any litttle thing MANU UTD does the whole world will react

i bow o! shocked

lets hope in OLD TRAFFORD we bury lille for GOOD.
i felt for Osaze he really gave vidic a run for his money.

once again ONE UNITED.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by wormedup(m): 8:30am On Feb 21, 2007
@Ehie,

what was right in the referees' decision ?
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Mustay(m): 8:47am On Feb 21, 2007
Man u didn't show class yesternight. Was sort of a goal was that? No be say na maradona against 9geria

With d way Man u per4med, nemesis shall catch up wit 'em. Man u can't win the cup!
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by ehie007(m): 9:17am On Feb 21, 2007
MUSTAY iguess u are a chelsea fan or an arsenal fan. pls dont beef us o
wen henry did that against chelsea like two seasons ago no body complained.
now it happend to us and the whole world is complaining.any complaint should be taking to Platini/blatter and not to any manu player or fan. all beef should be roasted and buried

ONE UNITED grin grin grin
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by loyika(m): 9:46am On Feb 21, 2007
MEMO TO ME! MEMO TO ME!! Remember to insult 4play before you finish your post.

Now Boys and girls, Ladies and Gentlemen, Let me start this way so there is no confusion as to what i am going to say, or have said;

ARSENAL Lost fair and square, Whether they outplayed PSV makes no difference, Psv deserved to win, and its all left for the Emirates to be the clincher!!

Now that i am through with that; let me just ask Why are all these Muppets saying stuff like "we have 3 points 3 points in the Bag " Do'h!? Did anyone forget to tell those guys that this is the knock out phase No such things as 3 points tongue (some mancs had to be disgraced yesterday as well, as they kept repeating the same thing, when everyone got into an arguement over the key moments of the game, granted though most mancs showed class and accepted that they didn't deserve to win that game, in that way. Guess there are still some Normal scummies out there a'la Rikky Ricardo cool)

Ok on to 4play grin Hmmm where do i begin undecided Telling you that you are a joke is getting played out, i can't find any other word in the dictionary to describe your total lack of football knowledge (Oga Veira has already told you that) What i will advise is that you stop Drinking alcohol, its doing you no good, and you are just embarrasing your kin grin grin If you felt that your win was deserved, what more can i say to you . If you felt that free kick was legitimate, what more can i say to you . If you feel that you can't put down the bottle, what more can i say to you

All i will say though is "Go to sleep and leave the forum for matured peeps like JK and Manu4laif to come and deliver us all from your tongue"

Will give my humble take of the game, when i have seen all that will be said, but just a passing shot; "Manscum!!Beware the Law of Karma".

cool GOONER 89
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by wormedup(m): 11:19am On Feb 21, 2007
@Loyika,

it's been ages manyoo saw the knock out stages of the CL last. they've forgotten how's it's read in this stage so just pardon them tongue grin

on freekick: there was a wall, how come the whistle was muted
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by kitaun(m): 11:31am On Feb 21, 2007
I guess 4play would still come show some more ignorance later on tongue
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by chelsea4li: 12:33pm On Feb 21, 2007
manchester fans,
could somebody explained to me why osaze goal was dissallowed. and why Ryan gigs goal was allowed
even when it was obvious that tony Silva was still busying creating a defensive wall,
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by loyika(m): 1:24pm On Feb 21, 2007
Ok folks this will be in two parts, so as not to bore some folks with a long rant and to make it easier for all

PART ONE: MANSCUM VS LILLE

Let me start like this. Football can be a very cruel game, and Lille learnt it the hard way!! Will things change; NO!! And i won't be surprised if Lille don't get an earful from UEFA, over their (Non)conduct yesterday. Did the scummies deserve to win the game well they had enough individual chances to kill the game off, but as a team, they were outplayed, especially in the second half, but having said that, its who scores that wins games, not who outplays who (Ask Arsenal embarassed)

Now will do it like this, using the key moments of the game format;

"61 mins GOAL FOR LILLE! DISALLOWED! Very, very controversial. It was superb link-up play between the left full-back and winger as Cabaye backheeled into Obramiak's path. His cross was met by a thumping header from Odemwingie, but the lineman's flag went up for a slight push from the striker on Vidic as they both attacked the ball. It probably was a foul, but it was a brave decision by the officials. Put it this way, if United had such a goal disallowed, Fergie would be fuming."

Ok let me say this, Osaze's goal was a clear foul, but having said that, those kind of goals would be allowed in the Prem, Drogs scores them everytime grin Key thing was that the Manscum players did not protest, but the final decision is with the Ref, and fair play, the players got on with it, with really no fuss, But like was said; if Man United had scored that goal, Fergie would have blown a socket if it was disallowed.

"GOAL! Lille 0 - 1 Man Utd (Giggs 83) A hugely controversial moment. It was a free-kick to United 25 yards out and as Sylva was lining up his wall, Giggs curled the ball into the corner which Sylva had vacated. It was something that Thierry Henry has done many times before, but the Lille players are livid."

Ok another one!! Why every Manscum supporter (my boss included tongue wink) keeps refering to Henry's freekick only lets me know one thing!! You guys are aware that the goal was neither here nor there, and following the balance of play, should/might not have stood. Games are usually decided by moments, this game was decided by 2. Arguing the technicalities of this would be futile and unnessesary. The ref said it was a goal, so the buck/punishment rests with the ref. The goal was perfectly executed as Myles P says; "LILLE were very athletic and fast against Manchester United but they lost 1-0 to a controversial Ryan Giggs free-kick.

Bottom line, I think United were a bit more streetwise.They did nothing wrong. Rooney placed the ball, giving Giggs a chance for a cheeky goal, a free-kick lifted over the wall when the keeper was not ready. The goal looked rehearsed, practiced, not a one-off, not a fluke. Rooney placed the ball with both hands like a rugby player setting up a conversion.

The Dutch referee made a very good spot when he saw the push by striker Peter Odemwingie on Vidic and disallowed his header for 1-0. United did not complain about the push and, crucially, Odemwingie did not throw a wobbly when his goal was disallowed.

He knew he had pushed Vidic and he hoped the ref had not seen it, since it was a subtle push as two players lunged forward in the goalmouth, trying to reach a cross from the left. I didn't think Vidic would have got the ball anyway, even if he had not been pushed."

Guess he's said it all and that explains it best. Now on to part 2 cool

cool GOONER 89
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by Grizzly(m): 1:55pm On Feb 21, 2007
Loyika, i love ur sermons
Manscum have got it coming in the second leg
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by 4Play(m): 2:26pm On Feb 21, 2007
Lille 0 Manchester United 1

PSV1 Arsenal 0

That is all that matters.We won,you lost.We won because we are too good,you lost because you are crap in Europe.

You have a manager that has never won anything in Europe.What do you expect?Even Fergie in his time at Aberdeen defeated Barcelona in the final to win the European Winners Cup
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by loyika(m): 2:45pm On Feb 21, 2007
4play

Is your school on permanent recess grin

Read before you talk!!

Arsenal are crap in Europe!! Really 1 Cup Winners Cups and 1 Fairs Cup says it isn't so. Only blemish is CL Cup.

Once again, who said you didn't deserve to win last night!! Moi shocked Did i say that grin

Take Vitamin A or E, It helps with your eyesight!!

cool GOONER 89
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by kaydee(m): 3:36pm On Feb 21, 2007
4 Play:

Lille 0 Manchester United 1

PSV1 Arsenal 0

That is all that matters.We won,you lost.We won because we are too good,you lost because you are crap in Europe.

You have a manager that has never won anything in Europe.What do you expect?Even Fergie in his time at Aberdeen defeated Barcelona in the final to win the European Winners Cup

When you win like that, more matters you know.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by manu4laif: 4:27pm On Feb 21, 2007
@loyika & 4play :
Hmmmn.

@All,
I did not get to watch any of the matches fully so can't really comment on all aspects of the game.
I saw the controversial moments of the games of the Lille game  and I tend to agree with loyika on some points. shocked

1.I think the ref was in a good position to see the push by Osaze.His reaction was also immediate.It was a foul and should have been given . However some refs don't(probably they don't see it well or don't think it's strong enough to alter the outcome).Would Vidic have reached the ball.Only computer simulations would be able to tell that.Either decision would however have been controversial.

2.The goal is controversial.If the ball had been balloned wide Lille would not have insisted on a retake.I think Loyika got it right with the 'streetwise' stuff.The game is played for 90 minutes and you have to be alert especially in your final 3rd.

What Lille did in the 85th minute was inexperience at play.You don't,I repeat don't leave where the ball is until the ref signals he is ready to take his 10 steps.Watch that move again and you will see it was contrived.Rooney was just  acting.It was a con .Why was Rooney doing all that ceremony.Watch Ghana/Nigeria(ACN2006),watch Henry/Villa( 3 years ago),and so many other examples.

Look some guys get yellow cards just for staying around the ball when they conceed a freekick.It's because of stuff like this.Lille SHOULD HAVE HAD ONE GUY KEEPING GIGGS AND ROONEY COMPANY.Once the wall is formed or rather you see the ref COUNTING his steps then you are ok.The ref didn't.And they paid(dearly) for it.

Was it controversial? Yes.Such goals will always be.
Was it a goal?Yes
Was it vintage Man U.Maybe not.
Was it a win ? Yes.

These things happen in football and it's a little easier to take when you are not at the receiving end.

Arsenal's loss to PSV did not come too much as a surprise.I only watched parts of the game really but for me PSV was the underdog and the pressure was more on Ass'nall to get a result or a goal .They couldn't and it's bad.I think over time the impact of the Bolton/Spurs/and now Blackburn games will begin to take its toll.You cannot keep playing such games and expect to be at your explosive best the next game.Can they qualify?It would really depend on what happens the next 2 weeks,Carling cup etc.

For now though we have a win and we can focus on the immediate tasks of winning our next game.

Great to be united!

Keep scoring,keep winning

WAN UNITED! grin grin grin
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by loyika(m): 5:21pm On Feb 21, 2007
Manu4laif grin

Don't worry about i and 4play oh!! We are just catching our fun, no harm intended grin grin

Here Paul Parkers views (NOT LOYIKA"S OH!! wink) and its from one of "em credible sites" you guys love; EUROSPORTS!!

http://paulparker.blogs.eurosport.com/

Remember now, Paul Parker has nothing to do with ARSENAL!!! and is a regular commentator on MUTV. So i hope i won't be accused of stuff grin

cool GOONER 89
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by 4Play(m): 7:06pm On Feb 21, 2007
@Loyika

Oh,you won the Fairs Cup.That means that Arsenal in their entire lifespan have won fewer trophies in Europe than Alex Ferguson and the same as Mourinho won in 2 seasons at Porto.Imagine that

Damn!The Sports editor of the Times of London said mockingly that Arsenal were engaged in a"bold and fascinating assault for 3rd place".This is the nadir of a once great team.

What brought home to me how far Arsenal had fallen was when a friend of mine told he no longer checks for Arsenal results in the league since they are not involved in the title race.That was in September of last year.

Now you might say "Arsenal are fighting for 3 other trophies" .Well,we will see in 2 weeks time grin

I hope you won't go hiding like you always do

NB:Have you read the book "4th is the new 1st" by Arsene Wenger?
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by justkunmi(m): 8:02pm On Feb 21, 2007
manutd - lille

good win for manutd but not a good game. we were totally missin at very key moments in the game.
we blew a lot of chances and nearly paid for it. Imagine ronaldo's one on one miss. Giggs's glaring chance. and rooney's playfulness in front of goal. If we had taken our chances earlier we would have put the game to bed in the first half.
Like fergie rightly said, if u dont take ur chances when they come, they come back to hunt u.
Thank God it didn't hunt us yesterday. cool

On the goal. . .

sincerely, i jumped for joy when i saw the ball at the back of the net, didn't even care to know how it got in. grin
I later saw the replay and saw wat happened.

Like manu4life said, Lille shoulda had a player with rooney and giggs before settling back for the wall. .
But one thing though, if giggs had hurriedly played it and had missed, would we be talkin about it.? NO. tongue

Glad we won but we need to buckle up at Old trafford to complete the job.

NB; I think saha shoulda started, not larsson.
. . . .and why the hell would fergie remove ronaldo for saha?? why not larsson??
fergie and his tactics. undecided

PROUDLY UNITED cool
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by kitaun(m): 8:25pm On Feb 21, 2007
4play, cant u just discuss footie d proper way like manu4laif and Jk do? Instead u throw girlish jibes!! Now, its getting me pissed! Have u 4gotten u r an oldie around here? What's dis obsession on us all about?! Analyse ur team's strenghts and weaknesses not ur fake books purpotedly written by Wenger that has never and never will c d light of day!!
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by 4Play(m): 8:30pm On Feb 21, 2007
@kitaun

I dey respond to Loyika.Abeg,no vex I no be Mendez grin
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by kitaun(m): 8:37pm On Feb 21, 2007
U no be Mendez? U be Nakamura?
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by justkunmi(m): 9:16pm On Feb 21, 2007
lmao grin
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by debosky(m): 11:29pm On Feb 21, 2007
@ JK Ronaldo was totally ineffective - any prem team that wants to take him out of the game should study what Lille did

thats why fergie took him off, he huffed and puffed, but the Lille defence didnt fall down. Saha didnt do much better, I guess he's trying to milk

Larsson for all he has, afterall he has like 3 weeks left to play for you.
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by justkunmi(m): 11:34pm On Feb 21, 2007
wat are u sayin debosky,
ronaldo was the only thing we had goin forward. rooney was missin except for that single run he did. larsson was absent. giggs was just moppin around.
the change shoulda been saha for larsson not ronaldo.
no matter how ineffective ronaldo was, he was still a constant threat to lille's defence.
notice it was after his removal we totally went impotent in attack. . .

thank God for that free kick sha
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by debosky(m): 11:37pm On Feb 21, 2007
in short from what you are saying, the entire man utd attack was absent!

larsson has big game experience, thats why i think fergie kept him on.

Thank God for free kick sha, but referee won't save y'all in the second leg so your boys better buckle up!
Re: Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds by kitaun(m): 11:40pm On Feb 21, 2007
I like Jk's admittance that the touted potency of Manscum was rubbished

(1) (2) (3) ... (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) ... (784)

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) / Offical Bayern Munich Fan Thread: 6x Champions Of Europe / R36L Madrid - Most Successful & Greatest Champ15ns of Spain, Europe & W8rld

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.