Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,405 members, 7,901,114 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 12:05 AM

Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? (24400 Views)

North, South, East Or West, Which Region Holds Real Hip Hop Down In Naija? / P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award / Real Hip Hop's Top 10 Emcees Of All Time ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by tonychristopher: 9:58am On Jul 08, 2014
we never had real hip hop..its only phyno, ill bliss and olamide that is trying to merge hip hop and african concept....

still love that dj jimmy jatt rhymnes..just like my man biggy
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Akbee(m): 9:58am On Jul 08, 2014
WIZGUY69: IThe simple reason is just that we Africans, we hate Good things.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by rashmanovic: 9:59am On Jul 08, 2014
hhmmm.. but you can stay in between like sauce kid, vector and mi.. MI came with Talk About it and the thing sell, and followed it up with Illega Music I in which HipHop head listened to. 50-50 right? He came with MI2 the movie.. Make his money, months later he released Illegal Music II for hiphop heads again... Vector came with State Of Surprise, he had hit singles like Get Down ft 2face, Mary Jay and I Luv Nigeria.. He made some lil cash, he then released BaRacks later on for the HIPHOP HEAD. He dropped the SECOND COMING.. Hit songs like Angeli ft 9ice, Born Leader ft Movado, Follow me dey go ft 2face and made some cash, now he his working on the #A7 project.. so there is a way you can go about the commercial and Dope rap things together

3 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by iceberylin(m): 9:59am On Jul 08, 2014
MadCow1:

M.I?!

The last good thing to come out of M.I was his second Mix tape.. That Nigga don fell off as well. angry

its either u didn't exist b/w 2008-20009
0r
u had ear problem then...

cause Mi was d best thing that ever happened to Naija hipHop then

just relax and expect the chairman Album...

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:59am On Jul 08, 2014
MadCow1:

M.I?!

The last good thing to come out of M.I was his second Mix tape.. That Nigga don fell off as well. angry

Actually, but MI can reload with a big come back... He got the flare in him unlike many who only after the fame...

Phyno I was looking up to want to dey elf these days.... He must not feature everyone . He needs to maintain his brand...he ought to stay away from those who only sing about bum bum and puu.cceee angry

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by rzarector(m): 10:00am On Jul 08, 2014
Djicemob: Ever wondered why rap artistes like Modenine,kahli Abdu,poe,loose kaynon,pherowhuz etc are not been taking seriously in the industry(atleast by the majority of music listeners) today? Meanwhile rap/afro-pop acts like Ice-prince,olamide,phyno are seen as the face of rap music in nigeria today? Yea,your guess is as good as mine,real rap is slowly getting extinct in nigeria.But hey! It would be quite unfair to blame the artistes that adapted to change and placed music hustle first,which in-turn puts food on their table.Of course who wouldnt want to drive the latest cars and build the biggest mansion? I would.

Coming out as a rap/hiphop artiste in nigeria today,there are two things involved.Do you want to be a real rap artiste or a commercial rap artiste? If you want to be a real rap artiste,fine! But get ready to be taken seriously only by rap heads and your hommies.If u want to be a commercial rap artiste,the better,considering the fame and the financial gains.Doesnt sound fair right? I know.There are couple of reasons for the inbalance which i would explain to you.In business(in general) the consumer comes first right? Now,same applies to the nigerian music business,the music lovers and listeners also comes first.They(consumer) pratically holds the key to the artistes success...and ofcourse God.

Having said all these,it is important to analyse the music consumer,yea? I would save you the trouble.The average music listeners in nigeria today has grown to be quite lazy(no offense).Nobody wants to spend the whole day deciphering your punchlines,metaphors and similes when there are different problems facing the nigerian man/woman.A banging beat,catchy hook and lacklustre verses talking about how you are 'ballin',boasting about being the street king and most importantly addressing the feminine backside(a*s) while asking her to "shake it" would do the trick of getting you that commercial success,whereas,leaving the real hard workers on the sidelines with their so called "real hiphop" which is quality goods for the consumer.I am quite sadden when i see these real rap artistes spits their lives out in their songs and dont get the props,support and recognition they truly deserve,hence,my reason for writing this article.

The thought of Ice-prince(no beef intended) representing nigeria at the BET(which houses stars like Drake,kendrick lamar,Jcole etc) as the best rap artistes is quite laughable for a big country like nigeria which also houses quality artistes like modenine,khali Abdu,poe,boogey,jesse jagz etc who would give their american counterparts a run for their money(atleast to some extent).This,to me is quite deplorable.

Conclusively, I doff my hat to these real hiphop artistes who never gave in to the commercial stereotype-craze in the industry today.To me,it all boils down to LOVE and PASSION for the art(which is the real essence of listening and making music) and not the money.Thanks to these "real artistes" for keeping rapheads like me glued to nigerian music.
DJ ICE-MOB
#Now playing:Desire by jesse jagz
#jagznationalist
wow,mind boggling post,jeez neva knew heads like u still feel the real deal unlike dem skinny jeans rap..feel u homie seems u feel the pain in ma brain......thanks..#militia.....guru,freedie fox,big shug....listening to rite now....

2 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Born2berich: 10:00am On Jul 08, 2014
Wow
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Akbee(m): 10:03am On Jul 08, 2014
Akbee:
africans hate good things??bros why now...ur ancestors wl bury their heads in shame over this unwanted comment of urs..so hip hop is the best genre of music or wot?

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Revolva(m): 10:03am On Jul 08, 2014
Real rap in nigeria who does dat omo here na commercial like commercial danfo bus lol even in america where rap started real rap is dead hiphop is dead ok just spit anythin on records n brand ur self u get fans
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by iceberylin(m): 10:04am On Jul 08, 2014
rashmanovic: hhmmm.. but you can stay in between like sauce kid, vector and mi.. MI came with Talk About it and the thing sell, and followed it up with Illega Music I in which HipHop head listened to. 50-50 right? He came with MI2 the movie.. Make his money, months later he released Illegal Music II for hiphop heads again... Vector came with State Of Surprise, he had hit singles like Get Down ft 2face, Mary Jay and I Luv Nigeria.. He made some lil cash, he then released BaRacks later on for the HIPHOP HEAD. He dropped the SECOND COMING.. Hit songs like Angeli ft 9ice, Born Leader ft Movado, Follow me dey go ft 2face and made some cash, now he his working on the #A7 project.. so there is a way you can go about the commercial and Dope rap things together
ur so on point....
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by StoneColdBiceps(m): 10:06am On Jul 08, 2014
Any hip hop head or artist dat his rap verses and chorus r thesame s bound to go hungry....now look, u dnt just bump on a beat because ur feelin it nd then u freestyle on it nd say some weak or hard phrases as d chorus then u say ur done nd ur guyz say dey feelin it. u will gain friends dat tells u dat ur tite, flash popularity, ur djs friends wil play it in dia rooms during rehearsals nd ur radio friends will play it as fillers nd then it dies nd fades away to make space for pangolo songs dat r catchy nd danceable...Bro, just do bounce music making sure u sing on d chorus, catchy hooks nd catchy beats then rap on it................
My 1 kobo: quit writing freestyles nd start writing catchy chorus nd catchy chorus nd catchy chorus if u wan buy house for mowe ibafo befr u go even talk of lekki or else u will bé dancing to ur *fans music in clubs and parties. *big teeth smiles*

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 10:07am On Jul 08, 2014
iceberylin:
its either u didn't exist b/w 2008-20009
0r
u had ear problem then...

cause Mi was d best thing that ever happened to Naija hipHop then

just relax and expect the chairman Album...

Chairman ALbum?! shocked

That Chairman Song is the Worse thing M.I ever did in his life second to his useless GLO adverts. angry

Like I said, The last Good thing to come from M.I was his 'Secong Mixtape'.. MEANING: Everything after that Mixtape is BULLSHIT. English Language should not be this hard to understand.

5 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by daryoor(m): 10:08am On Jul 08, 2014
YomaA: Last nigth after wasting my precious 3.5mb on downloading 1 stupid baseless song that featured davido(in my opinion is an average artist) and olamide(he fall my hand) titled shoki...who ever was the producer shud ve adviced them abt that remix.
thank God for artist like vector,jesse jagz,m.i,young 6ix,phyno,phenom,eva in this industry
as for rnb wizkid timi dakolo,joel,davido,waje..if not I for don loose hope for naija music.

banky is the god of rnb in your industry

tiwa is the rnb godess also

olamide -yoruba rap domino

phyno- igbo rap

hausa rap - guess ill have to train mg suya man abdullahi or wait for bokp haram amnesty.

the truth of the matter is that davido is the ambassador of your industry at this moment, he represents everything that makes contemporary naija hiphop appreciated acroos africa. quality dancable beat and the ability to flow with the beat and a very catchy simple chorus. *see gobe come and see gobe.... skelewu skelewi....*

my point: give respect to whom its due.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by iceberylin(m): 10:15am On Jul 08, 2014
MadCow1:

Chairman ALbum?! shocked

That Chairman Song is the Worse thing M.I ever did in his life second to his useless GLO adverts. angry

Like I said, The last Good thing to come from M.I was his 'Secong Mixtape'.. MEANING: Everything after that Mixtape is BULLSHIT. English Language should not be this hard to understand.
ur kidding right

u must be lover of wizkid cause it now clear that u know nothing about Real HipHop...
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:18am On Jul 08, 2014
Same old overflogged, baseless argument.... The truth is as simple as ABC, NOT EVERYBODY IS INTERESTED IN CRACKING METAPHORS OR LISTENING TO PUNCHLINES.... Its the same way everyone aint interested in poetry... The animosity here is due to the fact that the makers and listeners of this genre of music are not willing to accept that other people do not share same interest.... Nd what is real rap/hip-hop, music is an art and real is relative.... I do not care what mode nine has to say, if I want words of wisdom, I'd pick a book... I can't just waste my time listening to a 10-20 track CD, with similar boring tune, drab choruses and verses with "words of wisdom"... I might just as well pick up a poem book.... Truth is, most of this artistes are not versatile, they don't go commercial because they cannot go commercial, its not because they don't want to... Let's face it, mode9 cannot sing to save his life... Versatile people like eminem, kendrick, nd MI (when he did safe, not now), have made nice tunes with sweet choruses whilst making sense at the same time.... The world is not static, change is a constant, one must adapt... Mode9 and the others may be more lyrical, but phyno, olamide etc are better musicians....

10 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by iceberylin(m): 10:19am On Jul 08, 2014
daryoor:

banky is the god of rnb in your industry

tiwa is the rnb godess also

olamide -yoruba rap domino

phyno- igbo rap

hausa rap - guess ill have to train mg suya man abdullahi or wait for bokp haram amnesty.

the truth of the matter is that davido is the ambassador of your industry at this moment, he represents everything that makes contemporary naija hiphop appreciated acroos africa. quality dancable beat and the ability to flow with the beat and a very catchy simple chorus. *see gobe come and see gobe.... skelewu skelewi....*

my point: give respect to whom its due.
u miss road

Davido ni

ur so Dumb
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Drkunle001: 10:19am On Jul 08, 2014

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 10:23am On Jul 08, 2014
iceberylin:
ur kidding right

u must be lover of wizkid cause it now clear that u know nothing about Real HipHop...

Wizkid is genius.. Fhuck are you hating on the Nigga for?

His songs serve a purpose and thats to make Niggas dance. He has his audience and they love him. Just cause you love Nas and KRS One does not make lovers of Wizkid less intelligent than you.

Clear your mind up and go re-read my very first sentence on this thread; MUSIC IS A SUBJECTIVE TOPIC. Stop trying to be smarter than you actually are by talking about 'REAL' hip-hop. Its like a Nigga who loves Culture saying Dancehall aint 'REAL' Reggae.

Boy you needs to get off your high horse. In a Topic like this, there is no Einstein and Napoleon Dynamites here, just Niggas who love salt versus Niggas who love Sugar.

Geddit?!

8 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Fayrouzz(m): 10:24am On Jul 08, 2014
God bless Jesse Jagz...* A god on the mic*

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 10:25am On Jul 08, 2014
njokusboy: Same old overflogged, baseless argument.... The truth is as simple as ABC, NOT EVERYBODY IS INTERESTED IN CRACKING METAPHORS OR LISTENING TO PUNCHLINES.... Its the same way everyone aint interested in poetry... The animosity here is due to the fact that the makers and listeners of this genre of music are not willing to accept that other people do not share same interest.... Nd what is real rap/hip-hop, music is an art and real is relative.... I do not care what mode nine has to say, if I want words of wisdom, I'd pick a book... I can't just waste my time listening to a 10-20 track CD, with similar boring tune, drab choruses and verses with "words of wisdom"... I might just as well pick up a poem book.... Truth is, most of this artistes are not versatile, they don't go commercial because they cannot go commercial, its not because they don't want to... Let's face it, mode9 cannot sing to save his life... Versatile people like eminem, kendrick, nd MI (when he did safe, not now), have made nice tunes with sweet choruses whilst making sense at the same time.... The world is not static, change is a constant, one must adapt... Mode9 and the others may be more lyrical, but phyno, olamide etc are better musicians....

Nigga, your drinks are on me..

High School Niggas be acting like their taste in Music is the definition of real Music. grin

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by anago18(m): 10:25am On Jul 08, 2014
njokusboy: Same old overflogged, baseless argument.... The truth is as simple as ABC, NOT EVERYBODY IS INTERESTED IN CRACKING METAPHORS OR LISTENING TO PUNCHLINES.... Its the same way everyone aint interested in poetry... The animosity here is due to the fact that the makers and listeners of this genre of music are not willing to accept that other people do not share same interest.... Nd what is real rap/hip-hop, music is an art and real is relative.... I do not care what mode nine has to say, if I want words of wisdom, I'd pick a book... I can't just waste my time listening to a 10-20 track CD, with similar boring tune, drab choruses and verses with "words of wisdom"... I might just as well pick up a poem book.... Truth is, most of this artistes are not versatile, they don't go commercial because they cannot go commercial, its not because they don't want to... Let's face it, mode9 cannot sing to save his life... Versatile people like eminem, kendrick, nd MI (when he did safe, not now), have made nice tunes with sweet choruses whilst making sense at the same time.... The world is not static, change is a constant, one must adapt... Mode9 and the others may be more lyrical, but phyno, olamide etc are better musicians....

dem don come oooo, garbage load of crap. same intellectual slow Nigerians that won't even read long post on nairaland?? it will take most of y'all a lifetime to dechiper one verse of Modey or pherosiouz lines. and shut up modey gat loads of commercial stuffs but he just stick to the real game. Oga is a commercial stuff. ret@rds should stick with their dancing lines that reduce onces I.q. little wonder the nation is populated by slow mofos and bimbos.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Djicemob: 10:27am On Jul 08, 2014
Afam4eva: Maybe you mean American rap not real rap. This is Nigeria and the only thing that can take pre eminence is Nigerian rap. Thumbs up to Phyno, Illbliss, Olamide et al.
Nigerian rap?(wateva dat means).Besides Americans invented rap and if we wanna copy them,we need to get it right and do it right or else stick to genres which we invented that are "nigerian" so to speak eg.afro-beats,juju,fuji etc..The point is,there are actually MCs doin it right here(Nigeria) and dont get the recognition they deserve.

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by webcalculator(m): 10:30am On Jul 08, 2014
Think of phyno & olamide and you know they are still here
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Rashdimuh(m): 10:33am On Jul 08, 2014
mumumugu: What is the difference between rapping and talking fast
Rhymes
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Emezy(m): 10:34am On Jul 08, 2014
a thousand likes for u.

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 10:36am On Jul 08, 2014
Djicemob: Nigerian rap?(wateva dat means).Besides Americans invented rap and if we wanna copy them,we need to get it right and do it right or else stick to genres which we invented that are "nigerian" so to speak eg.afro-beats,juju,fuji etc..The point is,there are actually MCs doin it right here(Nigeria) and dont get the recognition they deserve.

[b]Aint nobody copying shiit..

Music is what it is, some are adapted from others, some are original to its loality.

You cant be rapping about strippers and poles in your bedroom or Selling crack rocks in your basement and riding around in Impalas and low riders in Nigeria and expect Niggas to recognize and relate to your music. When I am listening to my Nigga 2Chainz, I recognize what that Nigga is singing about because I have actually visited several Projects in the U.S. INFACT, The first project I visited in the U.S was Harlem and I remember the first sight i saw coming off the Train was a youngin being cuffed by 5-0 and placed in the back of the whip. grin

Now when I listen to Phyno rap about Enugu State, I immediately recognise cos I know that shiit he is talking about. I remember hearing 'Alobam' and laughing out loud cos most Igbo dude were busy asking whats 'Alobam' and I recognised that it was an Igbo slang that many were not familiar with. But if you are still in touch with your igbo streets, Alobam would not sound strange to you.

You cant come and be singing Jamaican reggae in Nigeria and expect Niggas to recognise. Jagz was all up in that Jamo reggea and I wasnt feeling him, That kid that sang Alubarika was singing a whole nother chune that was more adapted to Nigeria and I felt it better especially that track he remix with Savage. [/b]

3 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by tuffgongjo(m): 10:38am On Jul 08, 2014
This is an era where Sense doesn't sells,but nonsense does,where a "bubble gum wrapper"like Ice prince,french montana are celebrated.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by iceberylin(m): 10:39am On Jul 08, 2014
MadCow1:

Wizkid is genius.. Fhuck are you hating on the Nigga for?

His songs serve a purpose and thats to make Niggas dance. He has his audience and they love him. Just cause you love Nas and KRS One does not make lovers of Wizkid less intelligent than you.

Clear your mind up and go re-read my very first sentence on this thread; MUSIC IS A SUBJECTIVE TOPIC. Stop trying to be smarter than you actually are by talking about 'REAL' hip-hop. Its like a Nigga who loves Culture saying Dancehall aint 'REAL' Reggae.

Boy you needs to get off your high horse. In a Topic like this, there is no Einstein and Napoleon Dynamites here, just Niggas who love salt versus Niggas who love Sugar.

Geddit?!
found out that the lines my mama makes while sleeping is way better than WizzyZ lyrics...

*No Diss* lets face the fact
"Caro ur body necessary "
aftet the STAR BOY album...
Wizkid is lost

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by englishmart(m): 10:42am On Jul 08, 2014
Nigerians are music blind.

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by rman: 10:45am On Jul 08, 2014
anago18:

dem don come oooo, garbage load of crap. same intellectual slow Nigerians that won't even read long post on nairaland?? it will take most of y'all a lifetime to dechiper one verse of Modey or pherosiouz lines. and shut up modey gat loads of commercial stuffs but he just stick to the real game. Oga is a commercial stuff. ret@rds should stick with their dancing lines that reduce onces I.q. little wonder the nation is populated by slow mofos and bimbos.

You are indeed the slow one with your response to his brilliant post

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Free Beat Download (suitable 4 Rap/afro Hip Hop/ R & B ) / Top 5 Record Labels With The Biggest Impacts In Nigeria Music 2017 / Top Ten Songs In The Month Of July

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.