Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,495 members, 7,932,615 topics. Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2024 at 10:08 AM

What Is Your View On ‘arranged’ Marriages? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Is Your View On ‘arranged’ Marriages? (987 Views)

What Are Your Thoughts On Arranged Marriages? / Are Arranged Marriages By Force In Nigeria? / What Are The Advantage And Disadvantages Of Arranged Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your View On ‘arranged’ Marriages? by Iyandasdiary(m): 5:34pm On Jul 09, 2014
What Is Your View On ‘Arranged’ Marriages?

An arranged marriage for those who may not have heard of it before simply means bringing two people who have never dated each other before together for the purpose of getting married.

Such people do not always have the opportunity to know each other, but eventually get married relying on mostly the information provided by people who brought them together. Most times you hear of parents arranging marriages for their children because they feel they know better and believe in the family they want the child to marry into. Is it right for someone to marry another just based on what you hear about the other party?

What is your personal opinion on this? Do ‘arranged’ or ‘arrangee’ marriages as most people on the street call it ideal in the society today?

Can such marriages stand the test of time as well as the trials that affect marriages? What if they don’t succeed, who takes the blame? Is it the people responsible for bringing both parties together or those who mutually consent to such arrangements?

Do such arrangements render the concept of courtship not so important than the arranged marriage?

If you found yourself in a situation where a parents are trying to pressure you into marrying a particular person, would you give in to their pressure or simply say no?

Would you be able to love that person the same way you would have loved someone you dated and courted on your own?

Re: What Is Your View On ‘arranged’ Marriages? by crackhaus: 5:38pm On Jul 09, 2014
Regarding this issue of 'arranged marriages', no outcome is set in stone.
Some can last, others may not...it really just depends on the individuals involved.
Re: What Is Your View On ‘arranged’ Marriages? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jul 09, 2014
Depends...

I wouldnt recommend it to a friend
Re: What Is Your View On ‘arranged’ Marriages? by UjSizzle(f): 5:41pm On Jul 09, 2014
crackhaus: Regarding this issue of 'arranged marriages', no outcome is set in stone.
Some can last, others may not...it really just depends on the individuals involved.
I agree with this fella.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your View On ‘arranged’ Marriages? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jul 09, 2014
just like evry oda relationship both married n not married..it s a game of luck.....most of it, might end up really bad n catastrophic....minor cases usually end up with a happy ending but with several ups n downs.....i honestly dont buy d idea n will neva enta into one......its an old thing dat old pple do..its not for pple like us who loves adventure n to chop chop arnd first
Re: What Is Your View On ‘arranged’ Marriages? by crackhaus: 5:49pm On Jul 09, 2014
UjSizzle:
I agree with this fella.

This lass is right to have agreed with me.
Re: What Is Your View On ‘arranged’ Marriages? by Lordabas: 6:19pm On Jul 09, 2014
On a personal note, arranged marriages aren't for me.
I want to choose the person i am to spend the rest of my life with...i want to make sure we're compatible, that we want the same things out of life, the we love each other...that we even like each other.
Putting personal feelings aside...as long as both parties are willing and consenting and as long as the relationship stays legal (i.e. no underage parties, no abuse), i have no problem with them living their lives the way they choose to live their lives.
Re: What Is Your View On ‘arranged’ Marriages? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jul 09, 2014
It works for some but I aint comfortable with it.
Re: What Is Your View On ‘arranged’ Marriages? by ihedinobi2: 6:41pm On Jul 09, 2014
1. Arranged or not, the choice is ultimately yours therefore, the responsibility to make the marriage work is yours as well. Nobody but yourself can be blamed for the outcome of your choices.

2. Arranged marriages fail. So do "unarranged" ones. Marriages fail for any or both of two reasons: bad pairing and irresponsibility. If you make a bad choice of a partner, you're not doomed but you will have difficulty.

3. Love is the choice to put someone else's well-being, at least, on a par with yours. It has feelings, yes, but it is a function of intellect and will as well. So you will have the same ability to love your arranged partner as you will to love your "unarranged" partner. It may even be easier in the former case because the choice precedes the feelings making a sure foundation for enduring romance unlike the latter where the departure of the feelings may leave you confused as to how to carry on with your partner.
Re: What Is Your View On ‘arranged’ Marriages? by tpia1: 4:15am On Jul 12, 2014
nothing wrong with it, if the couple are okay with it.

(1) (Reply)

Who Should Apologise In A R/ship / ......... / What Would You Do If She Has A Bad Past?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.