Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,237 members, 7,887,659 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 12:02 PM

Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! (21057 Views)

This Government Is A Government Of Sadists - FFK / Ikem ​bridge Collapses And Cuts Off Enugu, Benue, Ebonyi Communities (Photos) / My Discussion With A Government Contractor Who Wants GEJ Out - Agabai23 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by aresa: 9:44pm On Jul 16, 2014
Walelavender:
You will have to try harder Bro. Yes I used to but no more due to below par performance. Not a GEJ Apologist or Bootlicker.

Of course that's what you really are and you professed it already so stop insulting our intelligence with your bungled charade and bogus thread.

Be honest with yourself and your intentions...
Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by Walelavender(m): 9:54pm On Jul 16, 2014
aresa:

Of course that's what you really are and you professed it already so stop insulting our intelligence with your bungled charade and bogus thread.

Be honest with yourself and your intentions...

Lol. I don't stand to gain anything here. Could you please quote where my allegiance has been credited to the government at the centre? I am entitled to express my opinion and if you don't see anything palatable about that then you ignore. Why not address the issue of the submerged bridge rather than insult. How much were you paid? #team good governancea#

2 Likes

Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by Olaone1: 10:08pm On Jul 16, 2014
grin grin cheesy cheesy wink

Dotun (media), Ajimobi should give you a sack letter. cheesy cheesy

Na to party you sabi tongue
Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by ewosk: 10:15pm On Jul 16, 2014
Walelavender:
. From my post, I thought you could see part of the submerged temporary bridge.

oops op so u kno d bridge was temporary abi...hmm thank God no lives was lost..
Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by Walelavender(m): 10:20pm On Jul 16, 2014
Gbawe: @OP. It is easy to question your intentions and motivation if, as a construction "professional", you represent a temporary pedestrian bridge as "Apete Bridge" in your thread title. You think you are the only construction/built environ "professional" here? The Pedestrian bridge is temporary, as a means to aid pedestrian traffic while the main bridge is under construction, and restrictions was placed on its usage.

If truly a well-trained construction "professional" then your expert knowledge should engage your "professional" inquisitiveness to make you question why the bridge has collapsed, if indeed this is the case, rather than begin making assumption about quality of construction, government "insensitivity" et al. You are just 'reaching' doing that because a genuine construction professional would, as a matter of training, be unlikely to do that. Why not ponder why the pedestrain bridge collapsed, if such happened, so we can all be wiser ?

This is the season of witch-hunting the good guys so that a failed Presidency can sail through and gain another four years in 2015 but let us at least act intelligently via showing we know what obtained under the PDP in the SW before now. What PDP administrators did not do in 8 or more years is now being done in a few years across most States of the SW yet we are now to accept the revisionist "they are all the same" propaganda that is seeking to make a sentimental polity forget how bad the PDP really were in the SW which is now the 'beautiful bride' for 2015? Did we see anything near the scale of infrastructural construction going on today in the SW during the locust years of the PDP? How come the failed PDP never attempted much that is effective yet they are now crying against Ajimobi piously? Ditto for Ogun, Osun et al.

Good luck to you guys and your revisionist blanket condemnation which is really mischief against the APC in my opinion given the advances the APC governors have made in a few years after stagnation of the PDP years. You say you are not partisan but I hope 4 more years for GEJ is worth all this senseless witch-hunt against SW leaders who are performing far better than the PDP administrator they replaced. Sensible posters should ask themselves why this sustained campaign of calumny is now focused on the leaders of the politically pivotal SW alone these days. Dickson, Uduaghan, Elechi, Orji et al have all stopped being abject and misruling mediocrities and it is now only APC SW Governors the entire Nigeria should microscopically focus on? As if we do not know that it has been predicted that turning the people against their leaders, with propaganda and sectional/religious divisiveness, is the PDP's plan to "capture" the SW even as we know they have nothing at all to offer. Formumers should ask why the SW has now turned into Nigeria these days with the so-called 'misrule' of the States in the region being what every Nairalander is focused on lately. Are Nairalanders now all Yorubas from the SW States alone given the discussion trend currently? I dey laff at those , especially myopic SW folks, who cannot see what is going on. "Boy with no shoes" propaganda won't work now, since we know the 'boy' has moved on to 10 airplane and billion naira food plus billions of dollars scamming and corruption while Nigerians starve and die, so it is to initiate a scaremongering campaign, plus impeachment brouhaha, to demonize the opposition leaders who have delivered far better than the PDP ever did in the SW or stand in the way of "GEJ 2015" agenda in the North. Nigeria is a joke and Nigerians themselves are the biggest jesters.

http://www.oyostate.gov.ng/oyo-govt-completes-new-apete-pedestrian-bridge-promises-another-one-in-two-weeks/

Quite interesting that you got confused with the use of my adjective. Would like to ask what a bridge is. Is it not a structure carrying a road or a path across a river or obstacle? You got me cracking when you were quoting the word 'professional' as if I had made the biggest of errors by calling a spade a spade! You people should stop being partisan. This said pedestrian bridge collapsed a couple of weeks ago claiming scores of lives until it was reconstructed shabbily recently. Thank God this one failed over night without any casualty. The alternative is one danger too many. They got our votes(mine inclusive) if they ain't doing the right thing we have to call them to other. #Team Good Governance#
Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by Suyreboi: 10:21pm On Jul 16, 2014
OtunbaJega: oponu op... see bridge under construction...where is the collapsed bridge?....op must b sillly

A Pedestrian Bridge was Constructed for people to waka go other side. Na hin rain wash away
Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by fistonati(m): 10:28pm On Jul 16, 2014
NgeneUkwenu: No sight of collapsed bridge! Saw only a massive 4 -Lane bridge under construction!

The makeshift bridge must have been erected to ameliorate and aid movement of people pending the completion of the main bridge!

The Moderators here should be fair to all political parties. (stop inciting people against a performing governor)

Kudos to Ajimobi, What PDP could not do in 12 years they held sway, is being done within 2 years of a progressive government.
am very sorry for u, cus u dnt knw dt ajimobi wil go bt dt office wil remain. Why are u nt been objective here? He did erected bridge @ mokola dt doesnt nid 1, while apete ppl are suffering on all front. Three years is nt enof 4 him to do a small link-up bridge. He is operatn an Elite govt. While ppl are devoid of their right cus he nid 2 Feed Tinubu. May be u 4got its ur right. U better reason.
Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by Walelavender(m): 10:31pm On Jul 16, 2014
JideTheBlogger:

Yes ooo. I hope he is reading this..
Yes I'm reading carefully. I don't intend to incite anyone. Lives were lost when it collapsed weeks ago. If the re-constructed one had failed during the day,it would have been a different story. You need to see what people around this place are going through.
Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by Walelavender(m): 10:38pm On Jul 16, 2014
ichidodo: Typical maggots,instead of looking at the issue critically raised by a concerned citizen they all delve into conjectures of proffessionalism or pseudo-proffessionalism of the O.p.Why? Because APC as a party has nothing to offer to Nigerians.......Vote Out APC..Vote out negligience and death...
Don't mind all these people with their shallow analysis. If people had been trapped when it collapsed again probably they wouldn't be ranting like this

3 Likes

Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by lma4real(m): 10:42pm On Jul 16, 2014
Zionope:
These were d pictures shown to us the day the wooden bridge collapsed, we were made to understand that day that the main bridge is under construction and that and that Ajimobi was too slow about it, u guys even list the slow pace of the bridge as one of the reason(s) why "Ajimobi must go" just two weeks ago ooo. Now u're here telling us again that he commissioned the bridge and it collapsed, do u mean he commissioned an uncompleted bridge? Even if u were fed d rumour, look at d bridge very well, does dis look like a collapsed bridge to u?
. Let's call a spade a spade...I'm not in support of any party because all of them are the same...all we need in this country is prayer...Pertaining to the bridge stuff,just a point of correction on the commisionining of the bridge,no bridge has been commisioned in Apete,what was done then was a temporary pedestrian bridge which does not take up to one week to collapse....I neither like nor hate any political party...but no matter what,let's keep praying for whoever is in the helms of affairs...God bless Nigeria
Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by aresa: 10:52pm On Jul 16, 2014
Walelavender:
Lol. I don't stand to gain anything here. Could you please quote where my allegiance has been credited to the government at the centre? I am entitled to express my opinion and if you don't see anything palatable about that then you ignore. Why not address the issue of the submerged bridge rather than insult. How much were you paid? #team good governancea#

1. Having a soft spot for caries more weight than pledging allegiance because soft spots connotes love and affection beyond allegiance..

2. What issue exactly do you want addressed because your dubious and deceptive thread title remains ambiguous and crooked.

3. Your thread says Apete bridge collapse again, but Apete bridge is still under construction and what collapsed was a makeshift or temporary bridge.

4. Talking about governance, Ajomobi built more bridges in that state than any other past state administrator and the development, progress and investments in Ibadan with man many name brands remains unrivaled.

5. Ajimobi built the Secretariat/Bodija bridge.

6. Ajomobi built Ogbere Babanla bridge

7. Ajomobi built Olomi bridge.

8. Ajomobi built Ayeye Bridge

9. Ajomobi built Osoro River bridge

10. Ajomobi built Alaadorin, Sakutu bridge

11. Ajomobi built Omowunmi-Olorunsogo bridge

12. Simeon Adebo-Adeyi-Awolowo Road bridge

13. Ajomobi built Mokola-Cele-Baracks Junction bridge

14. Ajomobi built Mokola flyover bridge

They call Ajimobi Bridge Builder for a reason..

If you feel like crying wolf, spreading fake and bogus crap, please properly select your victims..

5 Likes

Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by Walelavender(m): 10:55pm On Jul 16, 2014
blaise26abj:

This is a reasonable line of thought. If the Govt or the contractor is slow, call the attention of the governor to it. OP made it seem like a major bridge collapsed. There is no way any makeshift wooden bridge wont collapse with that kind of flow unless it is a RC bridge or suspended steel bridge and the OP showed a pix of one being constructed right beside the temporary bridge.

OP should not politicize it. If previous govts did the needful, will we be here talking about this?

Besides every "professional" should know that construction slows down significantly during rainy seasons.
For your information it was not even a wooden bridge. It was made with a chain of containters welded together to allow the flow to pass through; and laterite was laid on the containers. I was indifferent to it because the current of the flow will definitely wash away the laterite and submerge the whole thing and that was what exactly happened. What if it had happened during the day as lives where lost couple of weeks ago. There is nothing to politicize here if there is really regard for lives. I'v got some colleagues at the firm. They said the government isn't cooperating! I don't have to be partisan to point out a wrong. Thanks
Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by Walelavender(m): 11:15pm On Jul 16, 2014
aresa:

1. Having a soft spot for caries more weight than pledging allegiance because soft spots connotes love and affection beyond allegiance..

2. What issue exactly do you want addressed because your dubious and deceptive thread title remains ambiguous and crooked.

3. Your thread says Apete bridge collapse again, but Apete bridge is still under construction and what collapsed was a makeshift or temporary bridge.

4. Talking about governance, Ajomobi built more bridges in that state than any other past state administrator and the development, progress and investments in Ibadan with man many name brands remains unrivaled.

5. Ajimobi built the Secretariat/Bodija bridge.

6. Ajomobi built Ogbere Babanla bridge

7. Ajomobi built Olomi bridge.

8. Ajomobi built Ayeye Bridge

9. Ajomobi built Osoro River bridge

10. Ajomobi built Alaadorin, Sakutu bridge

11. Ajomobi built Omowunmi-Olorunsogo bridge

12. Simeon Adebo-Adeyi-Awolowo Road bridge

13. Ajomobi built Mokola-Cele-Baracks Junction bridge

14. Ajomobi built Mokola flyover bridge

They call Ajimobi Bridge Builder for a reason..

If you feel like crying wolf, spreading fake and bogus crap, please properly select your victims..

Do I need to contest your 'well' presented projects Mr PA? Did I insult the personality of the Governor who got my vote in 2011? Were lives not lost couple of weeks ago when the pedestrian bridge failed? Could there have been casualties if the re-constructed one had failed during the day yesterday? Is the definition of a bridge not a structure carrying a road or a path across a river or an obstacle? If my post is really giving you a headache won't you have to bare it since you were paid to do this? Answer all these questions with a deep sense of responsibility. Goodnite

3 Likes

Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by makeitplain: 11:22pm On Jul 16, 2014
I can't believe that any same person can be defending such a monumental failure as Ajimobi most especially as far as Apete bridge is concerned. To all those castigating the OP as if is attempting to lie, if u don't live in Ibadan or specifically Apete u have no sensible basis to say so. The sequence of events as far as Apete bridge is concerned is everywhere on the internet and newspapers, why not go and investigate 1st?

A bridge collapsed since 2011 and the bridge is still under construction in 2014 and some ppl are expecting the Apete residents to be grateful to God and Ajimobi for a promised unfilfilled? This guy Ajimobi campaigned to Apete ppl, he went there in 2010 and promised them that he will fix the bridge immediately he gets to office if they vote him in but now the bridge is yet unfixed. So do they not have the right to consider Ajimobi a failure in the face of so many lives that the non construction of the bridge had already claimed?

After the 1st collapse of the make shift bridge, many lives were lost and Ajimobi went and made another makeshift wooden bridge. He went there truly with news people and a lot of political entourage and started making political statement, trying to defend his failure to construct the main bridge. He promised them trhat the main bridge will be completed and opened for use in September. Lets see if he will make it or not. The problem is every Nigerians are now politicians even those who are not politicians still think with political sentiment with little or no reality in their reasoning.

What is most unfortunate is that Ajimobi decided to politicize the misfortune of Apete ppl by 1)Blaming the PDP 2)trying to flip things around to his political advantage. He does this by diverting a few Ajumose buses to convey ppl from that area through a very long alternative route. The buses provided can not even cater for 1% of commuters in that community as its very heavily populated. But our governor immediately bombarded the media with his propaganda as usual via repeated jingles on state and private radio and the B.C.O.S TV that Apete ppl now enjoy "free ride" his government cares for the ppl bla bla bla. This angers Apete ppl more because majority of them had never even gotten anywhere near the bus. But they hear on radio that they are enjoying free ride. Its ridiculous. Using their pains to campaign. Its all counter productive as Ajimobi himself must at this point know deep inside that he can't make a 2nd term in office. It is so not possible.

3 Likes

Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by lastpage: 11:35pm On Jul 16, 2014
SirKay3: All, don't let us crucify the OP please. I believe he's got a point to prove, though the photos he posted didn't really back up his claim.

Here's what actially happened.

The initial makeshift wooden bridge was swept away by heavy flood on a Saturday night about 3weeks ago, learnt about 35 people lost their lives then, as they were swept away with the wooden pedestrian bridge then.

Governor Ajimobi was there 5days after the incident (Wednesday the following week). He was there with the press crew, they all stood at Ijokodo/Ibadan Poly end of the bridge, while people converged enmasse at Apete end of the bridge watching. He's there for about an hour.

Work commenced on another side of the bridge, to do another makeshift pedestrian bridge the following day. Metal containers (2nos) were positioned in the water way, to allow water flow into them, while the remaining portion of the water way were covered with sand. The containers had their top covered with sand too and that was opened (sic: "commissioned" ) to people last week Tuesday as makeshift pedestrian bridge.

The sand was washed away last night, as a result of heavy downpour in Apete, thus cutting off passage through the place.

There's an ongoing construction of a makeshift bridge at the point where the former swept away wooden bridge was. The three heavy bridge structures in the pgotos are meant for the real bridge under construction by NAIRDA.

Thank you very much for shedding light on what exactly happened.
No need to crucify the "Op" as the "main elements" of his post have been corroborated ... by the post above.

The main elements are:

1.) There was a wooden/plank temporary bridge (l dont need to start defining the English meaning of the word "bridge", go check it out if you dont know)
2.) The wooden, temporary bridge was washed off (not the first time as the gut who NYSC-served in that area has noted)

3.) After the last "wash-away", Ajumobi came there with his team of photographers and press crew, to "commission the erection of another TEMPORARY BRIDGE (This much was testified to by the erection and placement of new structures - Two new, metal structures, sand filling , e.t.c).
Comment: A lot of people dont understand English at all and fail to notice that the word "commission" does not apply to a "new thing or opening/launching ceremony" only. It can also signify "start, commence or initiate" (as in "start a project/ commission a project) the beginning of something.
This is what Op was saying when he said "Gov. came to commission the footbridge". Perfectly in order.

4.) The Bridge the Gov. commissioned was WASHED AWAY by rains.

5.) Whether temporary bridge or not, whatever we put-in-place for "public use", must have a measure of in-built safety and security!
Notice that the former "temporary bridge" which was swept away (before the one Ajumobi commissioned was also swept away!), got SWEPT AWAY ALONG WITH 35 HUMANBEINGS LIKE ME AND YOU!
Luck was just on our side that this one got swept away at night when the "temporary bridge" was not in use!

You either do it PROPERLY or you dont do it at all.

Now, my take is that instead of being too "stewpidly eager" to condemn the Op, we should have focused our energy on understanding what actually happened and demanding of our leaders to "DO THINGS PROPERLY".
I dont have to remind you to just check-out how much was earmarked and spent on that "temporary bridge",...... it might be the same amount with the cost of building that Fashola fly-over (Ikoyi/V.I link bridge) grin grin grin

Lastpage!

Caveat: I am no supporter of any of these "supporter of APC political parties" (APC/PDP,Labour or whatever), my interest is in good governance, probity, zero-tolerance for official corruption and eradication of ignorance amongst the populace (in the latter l think l am failing woefully!)

1 Like

Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by aresa: 11:38pm On Jul 16, 2014
makeitplain: I can't believe that any same person can be defending such a monumental failure as Ajimobi most especially as far as Apete bridge is concerned. To all those castigating the OP as if is attempting to lie, if u don't live in Ibadan or specifically Apete u have no sensible basis to say so. The sequence of events as far as Apete bridge is concerned is everywhere on the internet and newspapers, why not go and investigate 1st?

A bridge collapsed since 2011 and the bridge is still under construction in 2014 and some ppl are expecting the Apete residents to be grateful to God and Ajimobi for a promised unfilfilled? This guy Ajimobi campaigned to Apete ppl, he went there in 2010 and promised them that he will fix the bridge immediately he gets to office if they vote him in but now the bridge is yet unfixed. So do they not have the right to consider Ajimobi a failure in the face of so many lives that the non construction of the bridge had already claimed?

After the 1st collapse of the make shift bridge, many lives were lost and Ajimobi went and made another makeshift wooden bridge. He went there truly with news people and a lot of political entourage and started making political statement, trying to defend his failure to construct the main bridge. He promised them trhat the main bridge will be completed and opened for use in September. Lets see if he will make it or not. The problem is every Nigerians are now politicians even those who are not politicians still think with political sentiment with little or no reality in their reasoning.

What is most unfortunate is that Ajimobi decided to politicize the misfortune of Apete ppl by 1)Blaming the PDP 2)trying to flip things around to his political advantage. He does this by diverting a few Ajumose buses to convey ppl from that area through a very long alternative route. The buses provided can not even cater for 1% of commuters in that community as its very heavily populated. But our governor immediately bombarded the media with his propaganda as usual via repeated jingles on state and private radio and the B.C.O.S TV that Apete ppl now enjoy "free ride" his government cares for the ppl bla bla bla. This angers Apete ppl more because majority of them had never even gotten anywhere near the bus. But they hear on radio that they are enjoying free ride. Its ridiculous. Using their pains to campaign. Its all counter productive as Ajimobi himself must at this point know deep inside that he can't make a 2nd term in office. It is so not possible.

You register on the 4th of July and all your 15 posts since are all anti Ajomobi so what else is new? You registered specifically to talk trash about Ajomobi and promote worthless and useless Akala?

Save yourself the headache and just vote against Ajomobi, your vote he wont miss because it was never his.

3 Likes

Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by eaglechild: 11:40pm On Jul 16, 2014
Even Ibadan waters look rusty.

1 Like

Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by Walelavender(m): 11:40pm On Jul 16, 2014
Gbawe:

Bruv, anyone can claim to be anything here and many often do. Yet their thought processes never match there acclaimed expertise. A bit like our resident herbalist(Insincere9gerian) who goes around lying he is a medical doctor 'on sabbatical'. If indeed the temporary bridge collapsed then a construction "professional" would be the first to know it is best to be aware of all the necessary facts and relevant construction data/info before making a conclusion. Imagine simply looking at a collapsed temporary bridge and announcing, as a "professional" that "poor construction" caused it?
Oh you guys are really bothered about the word 'Professional'! And that is why you really need one to tell you that a well constructed temporary bridge needs not to fail under worst condition of loading. Since you have failed to address the issue I don't think I need to join issues with people who dont have sanctity for human lives. For your information many lives were lost a couple of weeks ago on the first failed temporary bridge. This same government you are supporting reconstructed it until it failed again! Lives are involved in any design failure be it temporary or permanent. Don't you get it?

1 Like

Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by dammytosh: 11:44pm On Jul 16, 2014
They have been constructing that main bridge since only God Knows but quickly finished Mokola ROund abount over head bridge.

APC government for the newspaper by the journalist for the readers.

Imbeciles.
Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by aresa: 11:45pm On Jul 16, 2014
Walelavender:
Do I need to contest your 'well' presented projects Mr PA? Did I insult the personality of the Governor who got my vote in 2011? Were lives not lost couple of weeks ago when the pedestrian bridge failed? Could there have been casualties if the re-constructed one had failed during the day yesterday? Is the definition of a bridge not a structure carrying a road or a path across a river or an obstacle? If my post is really giving you a headache won't you have to bare it since you were paid to do this? Answer all these questions with a deep sense of responsibility. Goodnite

Quit deceiving yourself.

Deep sense of responsibility dictates that you honestly and accurately present and title your thread, not to mislead or misrepresent.

I don't have to be anybody's PA or get paid to highlight your deceptions and crookedness.

And unlike you and your self professed love and soft spot for GEJ, I have no love or soft spot for anybody.

One man's good work and governance doesn't start and end with a makeshift bridge, fact remains that he not only built more bridges in the history of that environment, he built the best in that state and the first to be constructed by any civilian administration in the state.

2 Likes

Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by kolalere2002: 11:46pm On Jul 16, 2014
Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by aresa: 11:50pm On Jul 16, 2014
kolalere2002: http://tribune.com.ng/news/news-headlines/item/10779-apete-makeshift-bridge-collapses-again

The OP refused to post any link to back up his story just to hide the phrase Makeshift bridge, but instead yelled Apete bridge.
Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by lastpage: 11:53pm On Jul 16, 2014
Walelavender:

Look, l think you have made your point, dpnt argue with "political otimkpus". We know a lot of them on Nairaland, paid and those who just do it out of sheer ignorance.

The saying that "The people deserve the kind of government they get" is very apt, when it comes to the case of most Nigerians.

I was watching a BBC TV program today about how some residence of Redmond street, in a council area of U.K were negotiating with their council officials about how much the council will "buy-over" their houses from them because those houses, though not council houses, were built on lad purchased by the council and had dangerous level of Methane gas. These means the houses could explode and catch fire at a certain high level of methane (highly combustible gas which seeped into the houses from underground as a result of poor construction procedure)

What really caught my attention was that the Council officials were "negotiating and pleading" with the owners to seel the house to them, so they can demolish it for safety reasons.
Everyone eventually agreed to sell to the council after agreeing a reasonable price but one man still refused to sell his own property ....and he was left alone since that was his choice, but the Council still opted to implement "an Engineering solution" to assist him live safeky albiet a bit uncomfortably!

I asked myself: assuming if this was in Nigeria or Lagos, what would have happened?
from experience, the Governor or LGA Chairman would just by "FIAT Authority", ask those people to move out within seven days, send heavily armed Mopol and Soldiers to beat the daylights out of anyone who decides to "dare question him", destroy all their properties and eventually arrogate the place to himself and his party thugs/cronies.
It happened in Moroko, i happened in Whitesand, it happened under Mallam El Rufai in Abuja, it happened around so many government reclaimed areas.

....and it "hit me" in the face that this is the difference between being "a ruler" and being a "public servant"; being an Oppressor and a Leader.
More importantly, between being a citizen who knows and demands for his right to be respected by those in authority!

Lastpage!

BTW: It irks me so much when and why every important discussion is turned to an E-fight between APC and PDP?
Why cant we discuss issues without colouring it or taking sides, based on political affiliations?
Are we this stewpid or what? angry angry angry

A failed bridge is a failed bridge, temporary or not, ...whether built by Jonathan or Ajumobi, bottom line is that it has failed th epeople who are supposed to be the beneficiary. 'SIMPLES'!

1 Like

Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by aresa: 12:03am On Jul 17, 2014
Walelavender:
Oh you guys are really bothered about the word 'Professional'! And that is why you really need one to tell you that a well constructed temporary bridge needs not to fail under worst condition of loading. Since you have failed to address the issue I don't think I need to join issues with people who dont have sanctity for human lives. For your information many lives were lost a couple of weeks ago on the first failed temporary bridge. This same government you are supporting reconstructed it until it failed again! Lives are involved in any design failure be it temporary or permanent. Don't you get it?

Even the brightest engineer won't make such ignorant proclamation. We hope and pray bridges don't collapse, but they still do under any kind of condition especially with mother nature even in advanced countries with the best engineers
Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by Walelavender(m): 12:11am On Jul 17, 2014
aresa:

Quit deceiving yourself.

Deep sense of responsibility dictates that you honestly and accurately present and title your thread, not to mislead or misrepresent.

I don't have to be anybody's PA or get paid to highlight your deceptions and crookedness.

And unlike you and your self professed love and soft spot for GEJ, I have no love or soft spot for anybody.

One man's good work and governance doesn't start and end with a makeshift bridge, fact remains that he not only built more bridges in the history of that environment, he built the best in that state and the first to be constructed by any civilian administration in the state.
Did you read where I made a comparison with any political party or the past governments that have been privileged to govern Oyo state? Why? coz I don't give a damn about the political class. Besides why don't you quote fully, my comment on GEJ rather than select the part that excites your ego? You just don't want to accept that governance should be all inclusive. I am not that gullible to close my eyes to the wrong in my society. Ask the families of those who lost their loved ones. Common, structures either temporary or permanent should be safe. Referring to the bridge as just a make-shift bridge is laughable as if it was designed for goats and rams. Once bitten twice shy. Justice will prevail
Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by Walelavender(m): 12:18am On Jul 17, 2014
lastpage:

Look, l think you have made your point, dpnt argue with "political otimkpus". We know a lot of them on Nairaland, paid and those who just do it out of sheer ignorance.

The saying that "The people deserve the kind of government they get" is very apt, when it comes to the case of most Nigerians.

I was watching a BBC TV program today about how some residence of Redmond street, in a council area of U.K were negotiating with their council officials about how much the council will "buy-over" their houses from them because those houses, though not council houses, were built on lad purchased by the council and had dangerous level of Methane gas. These means the houses could explode and catch fire at a certain high level of methane (highly combustible gas which seeped into the houses from underground as a result of poor construction procedure)

What really caught my attention was that the Council officials were "negotiating and pleading" with the owners to seel the house to them, so they can demolish it for safety reasons.
Everyone eventually agreed to sell to the council after agreeing a reasonable price but one man still refused to sell his own property ....and he was left alone since that was his choice, but the Council still opted to implement "an Engineering solution" to assist him live safeky albiet a bit uncomfortably!

I asked myself: assuming if this was in Nigeria or Lagos, what would have happened?
from experience, the Governor or LGA Chairman would just by "FIAT Authority", ask those people to move out within seven days, send heavily armed Mopol and Soldiers to beat the daylights out of anyone who decides to "dare question him", destroy all their properties and eventually arrogate the place to himself and his party thugs/cronies.
It happened in Moroko, i happened in Whitesand, it happened under Mallam El Rufai in Abuja, it happened around so many government reclaimed areas.

....and it "hit me" in the face that this is the difference between being "a ruler" and being a "public servant"; being an Oppressor and a Leader.
More importantly, between being a citizen who knows and demands for his right to be respected by those in authority!

Lastpage!

BTW: It irks me so much when and why every important discussion is turned to an E-fight between APC and PDP?
Why cant we discuss issues without colouring it or taking sides, based on political affiliations?
Are we this stewpid or what? angry angry angry

A failed bridge is a failed bridge, temporary or not, ...whether built by Jonathan or Ajumobi, bottom line is that it has failed th epeople who are supposed to be the beneficiary. 'SIMPLES'!
Nice one Bro. This is exactly my position. Sincerely I wasn't out to bring down anyone just that our government both @ state level and the centre have never been pro-active. You made my day!
Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by makeitplain: 1:28am On Jul 17, 2014
aresa:

You register on the 4th of July and all your 15 posts since are all anti Ajomobi so what else is new? You registered specifically to talk trash about Ajomobi and promote worthless and useless Akala?

Save yourself the headache and just vote against Ajomobi, your vote he wont miss because it was never his.

And so what if I registered on the 4th of July bla bla bla? U see, is that the issue at hand here? Is my date of registration on NL killing ppl on Apete bridge? Is my date of registration hindering Ajimobi to do his job. So if u saw that my comment now is Anti Ajimobi, were u expecting my comment to be pro ajimobi on april 4th?
So waht about those that have been here for years that will never post if not a pro APC comment? they are here on this very thread, may be including u too. I started posting just April 4th and u think u have a punchline. Why not bother urself about those ones, I have not even been here for a month.

2 Likes

Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by aresa: 2:49am On Jul 17, 2014
makeitplain:

And so what if I registered on the 4th of July bla bla bla? U see, is that the issue at hand here? Is my date of registration on NL killing ppl on Apete bridge? Is my date of registration hindering Ajimobi to do his job. So if u saw that my comment now is Anti Ajimobi, were u expecting my comment to be pro ajimobi on april 4th?
So waht about those that have been here for years that will never post if not a pro APC comment? they are here on this very thread, may be including u too. I started posting just April 4th and u think u have a punchline. Why not bother urself about those ones, I have not even been here for a month.

Again, the fact that you registered 15 days ago and every one of the 15 posts you've accumulated since your registration date are all rants and anger against Ajimobi says a lot about your one and only mission on NL.

You are not to be taken seriously..
Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by bishop4life(m): 3:42am On Jul 17, 2014
Anyone who has been to ibadan will know that this news is too fake to be true.
Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by abiodunfat(f): 7:12am On Jul 17, 2014
Na wa o,tell Ajimobi ''there is God o''.
Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by Nobody: 7:22am On Jul 17, 2014
makeitplain: I can't believe that any same person can be defending such a monumental failure as Ajimobi most especially as far as Apete bridge is concerned. To all those castigating the OP as if is attempting to lie, if u don't live in Ibadan or specifically Apete u have no sensible basis to say so. The sequence of events as far as Apete bridge is concerned is everywhere on the internet and newspapers, why not go and investigate 1st?

Foool he promised dem bridge and he is constructing d bridge despite d fact dat he lost heavily in dàt local govt in d last elections(Ido local govt)

N.b
despite d heavy population of apete where he lost he waz able to win Oyo state, wu told u he kant win again without dem
Re: Apete Bridge,ibadan Collapses Again! What A Government! by Highvotage: 7:26am On Jul 17, 2014
@op, It was the temporal bridge that was made for free movement of the people that collapse why the new bridge itsef is still under construction.
It occurred almost 2 week now but people were gathering there to watct rise in water lever in compsrative to were the makeshift bridge used to be.
To be sincere, Oyo government should have hasten the job faster than this to avoid this embberashment or public propaganda from some people.
Lets just continue to pray to God for leaders that will have the love of masses at heart, irrespective of party, religion, ethic or otherwise.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Osinbajo Presides Over FEC Meeting Today (Photos) / Tony Momoh: "Yoruba Leaders Are A Disgrace" / The Walls Are Closing In On Yahaya Bello - Vanessa Obioha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.