Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,171 members, 7,916,417 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 10:58 PM

Fact About The Military Presence In Osun - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fact About The Military Presence In Osun (17221 Views)

Rivers Rerun: Heavy Military Presence In Port Harcourt -VANGUARD / Buhari To Reinforce Military Presence In Niger-delta / Heavy Military Presence In Ikorodu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by poiZon: 7:12pm On Aug 10, 2014
topsonkay: The presence of military men is just to maintain peaceful atmosphere during the election.
Should that suppose to be an issue? If GEJ failed to provide adequate security in the conduct of the election. You all won't hesitate to label him CLUELESS.

no mind them. na so dem dey blame am for ebola, one even say jona for put tracker abi scanner for airport n land borders to dey detect people wey carry de virus. i googled d scanner na for buildngs nothng concern am with ebola. APC BOYS dem dey o
Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by yusuff4u2c(m): 7:23pm On Aug 10, 2014
It was really a good ideal because it guaranteed the safety of the people but in the same pace, I'm against the lawless arrest of some important members of one of the contesting parties.

1 Like

Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by kabba7(m): 7:30pm On Aug 10, 2014
strangest: yes, I believe the tight security came as a result of previous incidents were NYSC corpers were killed and they were not there to rig elections as ranted by the supporters of APC.... if corpers were killed again, the supporters of APC will be the first to say that GEJ is incompetent and couldnt secure the lives of the INEC staff but now that he supplied enough security men, they are still ranting.... supporters of APC ranting since 132 BC

me i sorry for you dat eniwyessi wey you tok na money den bin give to take work for pindinpi so den die 4 money wey jonathan give them no palaver . Jonathan carry 3 bilboilion give kwankwaso d origina kano boi in chopam drink water you dey hier dey yan kopa yamutu nobi moni den colet ? oya make den
day chop money lahira.
komisona of police dey share money for Ede friday 50Kofficer 30k junior rank money don enter lamba2 sorry oh !! Ominsore
Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by Plus10(m): 7:40pm On Aug 10, 2014
ALIEN2000: .... .... .... This should be a true DEMOCRACY and things ought 2 B done orderly...that is ran and operated by a Civilian Mentality....Not The MILITARY approach...I mean d Military role as enshrined in our constituion includes:
...defending Nig frm External aggresion.....maintaining territoral integrity.....and also suppressing insurrection....plus Roles assigned it by d N/A............SEC 217(2)(a-d)......My Point................My God......Why do we always Use Military Sense 4 things Which shuld not be.......Or is D Nigerian Police Non-existent........abi Shey na story 4 D gods...
You think Nigerian police can withstand the nature of blooding shadding and snatching of ballot box during election in Nigeria?Police was used in past elections without any success recorded.So commbing the military with them is not a bad idea at all...
Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by Plus10(m): 7:46pm On Aug 10, 2014
kabba7:

me i sorry for you dat eniwyessi wey you tok na money den bin give to take work for pindinpi so den die 4 money wey jonathan give them no palaver . Jonathan carry 3 bilboilion give kwankwaso d origina kano boi in chopam drink water you dey hier dey yan kopa yamutu nobi moni den colet ? oya make den
day chop money lahira.

komisona of police dey share money for Ede friday 50Kofficer 30k junior rank money don enter lamba2 sorry oh !! Ominsore
This ur pigin English get as e be o...e beta if you use Yoruba
Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by braivheart: 7:49pm On Aug 10, 2014
why were the officers of the DSS putting on masks. One could infer that they are ex-militants

1 Like

Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by strangest(m): 7:51pm On Aug 10, 2014
kabba7:

day chop money lahira.

sorry, I can't even understand what you are saying? Have you eaten today?
Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by dabossman(m): 8:06pm On Aug 10, 2014
Whether the intentions behind such high military presence just for an election were noble or sinister, I still believe it is not a sustainable model. It is easy to flood one state with so many soldiers and policemen, but can the same be effectively repeated next year when we have the general elections? Can we cover every state, local govt and polling booth with the same high level of security?

I think we need to start moving towards having credible elections through adequate voter education, highly effective electronic voting that is fraud-proof and INEC being non-partisans. Yes, we are probably still a little far off from such an ideal scenario, but turning a state into one that seems to be under a state of emergency because of an election should not be a long term solution.

In 2011 ther we only two policemen at my polling booth neither did I see any soldiers around the neighbourhood but the elections were peaceful. We voted and waited for our votes to be counted. Simple and hassle free.

4 Likes

Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by smallJagaban: 8:06pm On Aug 10, 2014
poiZon:

tot lair mo'd na from kwara, wetin carry am go state of osun?

WETTIN CARRY AKPABIO, CHRIS UBA GO OSUN STATE?

1 Like

Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by poiZon: 8:13pm On Aug 10, 2014
smallJagaban:

WETTIN CARRY AKPABIO, CHRIS UBA GO OSUN STATE?

look left, look right'
who r u talkng to?
Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by flyingdutchman(m): 8:17pm On Aug 10, 2014
IF IT WILL GUARANTEE FREE AND FAIR ELECTION, YOU CAN BRING THE DAMN NAVY SEALS FOR ALL I CARE! EVIL PEOPLE ALWAYS CRY OUT OVER MILITARY PRESENCE DURING THE ELECTION. AFTERALL, RAUF WON AND EVEN THE MILITARY DID NOT TAMPER WITH RESULTS.

2 Likes

Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by Agbalanze(m): 8:21pm On Aug 10, 2014
I wish to say a big congrats to GEJ for the smooth conduct of election in both ekiti and oyo. For the very first time, peoples vote counted!
To some, if they win; its free, fair and credible but when they loose, they will threatened fire and brimestone!
Let's imbibe the spirit of fair play and play politics devoid of bitterness. I strongly believe that 2015 election will be free, fair and credible!

1 Like

Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by yomanovic: 8:44pm On Aug 10, 2014
austertee01: Talking about the military presence in Osun.....
The security is necessary for the whole electoral process
and we should all understand that.... there is need for
heavy
security considering the candidates contesting...
Try and see the good side of GEJ for once.
# MyOpinion . God
Bless Nigeria!

Wrong topic or may be you should open another thread with the topic ' Arrest of Osun APC members before and during the election'. How you see am?

1 Like

Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by yomanovic: 8:47pm On Aug 10, 2014
Agbalanze: I wish to say a big congrats to GEJ for the smooth conduct of election in both ekiti and oyo. For the very first time, peoples vote counted!
To some, if they win; its free, fair and credible but when they loose, they will threatened fire and brimestone!
Let's imbibe the spirit of fair play and play politics devoid of bitterness. I strongly believe that 2015 election will be free, fair and credible!

Brother look at yourself and see wetin you dey type? Is there an election that hardly witnesses rigging? Pls be mature n realistic.
Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by yomanovic: 8:59pm On Aug 10, 2014
flyingdutchman: IF IT WILL GUARANTEE FREE AND FAIR ELECTION, YOU CAN BRING THE DAMN NAVY SEALS FOR ALL I CARE! EVIL PEOPLE ALWAYS CRY OUT OVER MILITARY PRESENCE DURING THE ELECTION. AFTERALL, RAUF WON AND EVEN THE MILITARY DID NOT TAMPER WITH RESULTS.

But the military tried they could to intimidate the people and discourage them from voting by shooting sporadically in the air for no reasons. They also arrested apc members b4 and during the election. On the eve of the election, two inec staff identified with a pdp chief in the state were arrested with election materials and would have been beaten to death by an angry mob if not for police intervention. Check the link below if you didn't hear the news or better still, google it.. However no pdp member in Osun was arrested. If you are sensible enough, that should suggest something to you. Doesn't it? www.nigerianmonitor.com/2014/08/08/osun-election-two-inec-men-caught-trying-to-move-sensitive-materials-look/
Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by econity(m): 9:13pm On Aug 10, 2014
"It is common knowledge that our
military is not an institution that
distinguishes the values and
principles of electoral democracy.
The military is antithetical to core
principles of democracy. Democracy is driven by the interest of the
ordinary people. It gives the people
decision-making power. It
empowers the masses, makes more
government accountable and less
corruptible. The use of military negates political mobilization during campaign and during elections. The military fosters patron-client chains, parochial identities, bribery and intimidation. It is not surprising to see that voting becomes a metaphor for powerlessness and exploitation. No wonder, the military has turned
elections in Nigeria into bondage."
Bayo Oluwasanmi
If you think that militarizing state governorship election is d best, don't be surprise that it 'll come to d level of getting foreign troops for presidential election cus we don't ve enough.
Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by econity(m): 9:27pm On Aug 10, 2014
There are other democratic options
on the table for Mr. Jonathan to
insure free and fair elections:
strengthening of democratic
institutions such as the judicial
system, foolproof voter ID cards and other election materials, criminalizing
“stomach infrastructure,”
establishment of State Police, non-
involvement of political thugs
parading themselves as ministers,
etc.

1 Like

Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by ndcide(m): 9:42pm On Aug 10, 2014
lilprinze: 73,000
'security' personnel oboy jx because of
governorship election y cnt dy take diz
'security' personnel to borno state or
sambisa forest to flush bh out of diz
country instead dy r sent to osun
state to oppress innocent civilianz dat
came to perform dere right by voting 4
who dy want to rule dem

TYPICAL APC POLITICIAN. HOW MAY BOMBS EXPLODED IN SAMBISA FOREST ?

ANY ONE ARRESTED HAD A SINISTER MOTIVES. MR MOHAMMED INCLUSIVE.

2 Likes

Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by ndcide(m): 9:51pm On Aug 10, 2014
when local government elections are conducted these supporters of APC see nothing wrong in arm twisting the opposition.

look at what they did in Lagos. they even corrupted the judiciary in Lagos. can you see the so called enlightened Lagos APC state without any opposition.

the LGA is APC, legislature is APC, even the judiciary is APC.

people just don't want to say the truth.
Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by EkoIle1: 10:01pm On Aug 10, 2014
[s]
austertee01: Talking about the military presence in Osun.....
The security is necessary for the whole electoral process
and we should all understand that.... there is need for
heavy
security considering the candidates contesting...
Try and see the good side of GEJ for once.
# MyOpinion . God
Bless Nigeria!
[/s]

Election is not a military affair or act of war, Osun state was not under emergency rule or in a state of war so there was no need for the military and all the faceless and nameless masked men imported to intimidate the electorate. I just wonder if we still have the Nigerian police because this is their job and the military's job is to protect Nigerians and defend the country against external aggression and even BH that's still holding on to a portion of Nigeria that the same useless military can not defend or take back from common terrorists.

It was nothing but federal instrument of intimidation, thank God the people of Osun ignored that nonsense and instead kept their eyes on the ball/their votes.

I just wonder why you people defend illegalities that's not in your collective interests...
Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by yomexp(m): 11:15pm On Aug 10, 2014
ziga:

FYI It is not only in Nigeria.

And BTW, what is civil in Nigeria??

Even when there is no emergency, we don't do anything in an orderly fashion.
is that y u need soldiers in hood/mask to whip your yanch with guns and koboko just to keep you inline?
whatever happened to educating the people on how you want them to behave in a particuler circumstance? a very good example is the BRT system in lagos. prior to this transportation was always chaotic and disorganized but now people queue up to board buses in lagos. that wasn't a sight we were used to but some one came and showed leadership.
Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by yomexp(m): 11:30pm On Aug 10, 2014
Plus10:
You think Nigerian police can withstand the nature of blooding shadding and snatching of ballot box during election in Nigeria?Police was used in past elections without any success recorded.So commbing the military with them is not a bad idea at all...
@bolded gringringringringringringringringringringringrin
Seriously, you deserve a refund from your English teacher.
Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by tomakint: 11:30pm On Aug 10, 2014
austertee01:

u still don't get it... not about who u voted for... just putting high level of security consciousness into consideration
Even if you hold a koboko and write it on a slate for the clown you quoted to say it loud after you, he still won't get it. Janjaweedians here are packaged with thick skulls undecided
Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by flyingdutchman(m): 11:55pm On Aug 10, 2014
WAS THE ELECTION FREE AND FAIR? IF YOU AGREE THAT IT WAS, THEN WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM AGAIN? I DON'T DETEST A PERSON TO THE EXTENT THAT I WOULD ALLOW IT BE CLOUD MY REASONING. LEARN TO APPRECIATE THE SIMPLE THINGS IN THIS COUNTRY, LETS GROW FROM THERE. (DISGUSTED)
yomanovic:

But the military tried they could to intimidate the people and discourage them from voting by shooting sporadically in the air for no reasons. They also arrested apc members b4 and during the election. On the eve of the election, two inec staff identified with a pdp chief in the state were arrested with election materials and would have been beaten to death by an angry mob if not for police intervention. Check the link below if you didn't hear the news or better still, google it.. However no pdp member in Osun was arrested. If you are sensible enough, that should suggest something to you. Doesn't it? www.nigerianmonitor.com/2014/08/08/osun-election-two-inec-men-caught-trying-to-move-sensitive-materials-look/
Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by flyingdutchman(m): 12:06am On Aug 11, 2014
BROS, FORGET THAT THING! WERE IT NOT FOR THE MILITARY, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A STORY OF PDP-APC RIGGING. I THINK IT IS NOW CLEAR THAT IF THE PRESIDENT HAD ULTERIOR MOTIVES BEHIND USING MILITARY, THEN HE WOULD NOT HAVE ALLOWED INEC TO DECLARE HIS RIVAL PARTY VICTOR. NIGERIA IS A COUNTRY WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE THIEVES- ROBBERS IN EVERY SENSE OF IT. SOMETIMES, WE NEED A LITTLE KOBOKO TO STRAIGHTEN OUR BRAIN. RIGGING IS EVIL! SAY NO TO IT!
EkoIle1: [s][/s]

Election is not a military affair or act of war, Osun state was not under emergency rule or in a state of war so there was no need for the military and all the faceless and nameless masked men imported to intimidate the electorate. I just wonder if we still have the Nigerian police because this is their job and the military's job is to protect Nigerians and defend the country against external aggression and even BH that's still holding on to a portion of Nigeria that the same useless military can not defend or take back from common terrorists.

It was nothing but federal instrument of intimidation, thank God the people of Osun ignored that nonsense and instead kept their eyes on the ball/their votes.

I just wonder why you people defend illegalities that's not in your collective interests...

Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by ziga: 2:08am On Aug 11, 2014
yomexp:
is that y u need soldiers in hood/mask to whip your yanch with guns and koboko just to keep you inline?
whatever happened to educating the people on how you want them to behave in a particuler circumstance? a very good example is the BRT system in lagos. prior to this transportation was always chaotic and disorganized but now people queue up to board buses in lagos. that wasn't a sight we were used to but some one came and showed leadership.

Keep on deceiving yourself.

Educate who

Use Nairaland as your case study.

Humans in general and especially Nigerians are just used to unruly behavior!!!
Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by gists: 2:49am On Aug 11, 2014
We should be careful and properly evaluate of the implications of the policies we support.

Is it true that chieftains of APC were arrested in the wake of the last election? Is it also true that only chieftains and agents of APC were arrested and not even 1 agent of any other party was arrested? if these two allegations were true, then I dare conclude that the motive behind the heavy military presence in Osun was not ensure a free and fare election and in fact it is to ensure the exact opposite. I read Aregbe's victory speech and he made some points that suggest unusal voting trend in Ife axis. So with all the security agents deployed, the election was free but not fare afterall.

Also, how come the same level of security not provided in Anambra election where pro pdp candidate was favoured to win and actually won among many alleged irregularities? In as much as I will not call for total withdrawal of security personnel during election, I do not subscribe to a situation where security agents will be used to hunt down opposition parties in states where the ruling party is guaranteed to loose.

Like someone noted, we cannot afford this amount of military presence across the 36 states next year. So what will probably happen is we have an unusually high number of security agent to hunt opposition parties in south west and other anti pdp states while there will be normal security level in other pro pdp states.

1 Like

Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by Zionope: 4:16am On Aug 11, 2014
The pple outside Osun might not really understand what happend down here, though d election was free of violence because of the presence of the security men(except for the cases of serial arrest of the members of the opposition party) but u have to understand that Aregbesola won because PDP plan backfired; they never expected pple to come out that much. If u follow d election process very well, u will discover the PDP/FG never mentioned in her campaing that the security men were coming to protect the electorate, all they say is that " the security men will be on ground to deal wit anybody that misbehave" (They did dis to scare pple away from polling unit, while they are busy telling their members not to fear d security officials; and even gave their supporter tag for identification) and how do u know what will interprete misbehaviour in the sight of these heavyily armed men?
A guy was beaten blue black d day Mr President came to Ife; why? Because he had a ping and he wanted to reply it, how was he to know that using of mobile phone is part of the misbehaviour been talked about? In short, the message been passed to d pple of the state osun by d FG tru d millitary men before d election was more of fear than protection.

1 Like

Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by Plus10(m): 4:39am On Aug 11, 2014
yomexp:
@bolded gringringringringringringringringringringringrin
Seriously, you deserve a refund from your English teacher.
Typo...error and it has been fixed!
Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by Zionope: 4:42am On Aug 11, 2014
EasternLeopard:

Let's thank God that GEJ respected the choice of the people unlike OBJ who imposed candidates
As much as I don't like Jonathan's style of riling; I still agree wit dis part.
Re: Fact About The Military Presence In Osun by Plus10(m): 4:45am On Aug 11, 2014
Plus10:
You think Nigerian police can withstand the nature of blood shadding and snatching of ballot boxes during election in Nigeria?Police was used in past elections without any success recorded.So combing the military with them is not a bad idea at all...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Niger-Delta Avengers: FG Deploys Team To Uncover Those Behind Pipeline Bombings / Anambra Governorship Election: Voters Registration At Onitsha South Anambra. Pic / Don’t Punish Us For Saraki’s ‘rebellion,’ North Central Leaders Beg Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.