Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,324 members, 7,888,027 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 05:47 PM

Before All Our Children Become Entertainers - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Before All Our Children Become Entertainers (28315 Views)

See How Our Children Are Quietly Been Indoctrinated / Is This How Our Children Wil Learn Alphabets?pls Read / God Save Our Children From Campus Cults! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Nobody: 10:12am On Aug 27, 2014
best write-up I have read on Nairaland

2 Likes

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Nobody: 10:14am On Aug 27, 2014
The discourse highlights need For Nigerian youth educational mentorship via the media and corporate sponsorship. Diversifying the talent programme to include the academics is a critical issue. This will require the creation of public policies that support focus on intellectual talents in our media and corporate talent hunt.
The Shift in “talent emphasis” needs to be that we no longer accept the current Media Talent Programme for the youth that are based on “singing and dancing” alone. Equity in focus is the only way to build a sustainable country in a global economic environment.

The cavalcades of sub-educated simpletons are busy trying to convince us our problems don’t exist. But the problems are quite real, and though more subtle, we are facing a crisis with no immediate end in sight. Remember, China did not sing its way to world economic domination.

Geekaydon:
Pls mind you......dnt spoil sm ppol's business instead...fight for the solution to your area of intrest which is not selling.....calling youths who go into entertainment lazy ppol is wrong......everybody wants money.....who does'nt want.....and if you go into entertainment and your talent was recordnised...then ure good to go...some ppol are saying it as if its every aspiring musician that make it.....go to schools today.....most ppol find it as a joke....go tru malpractices to get their waec done...get to school and read only to pass...and for those who riili suffer for education what have they make out of it that can stand with what talents av got sm ppol....
My fight.....EVERYBODY WANTS A WAY TO SURVIVE AND NOT JUST A WAY BUT THE BEST WAY......most musicians are sure if they dont make it they have their certificate to fall to to atleast live life and feed a family.....but seriously if you dont show up @ the mtn audition and its your year.....ure a fool cause you dont know what they call luck.....i started music cos i like the entire life of going to lagos today and london tommorow...whats bad there...am still in school still....pls fight for making education pay more in nigeria and not spoiling sm ppols business......sm musicains are inteligent in books than some fools who get their school fees paid untime @ school...and actors go to school..... Gbammmm @geekaydon

What a shame! Talking about the adornment of sophisticated ignorance take a look at the post below.
If something is drastic is not this is the kind of #@*%! Will be all over the place mentoring our children and this is the issue raised by the OP, Ptoocool. #beforeitstoolate

5 Likes

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by PassingShot(m): 10:19am On Aug 27, 2014
ketoprofen:

the guy u quoted was wrong all through.
He neglected the vast majority of poor professionals to talk abt a certain 1%. Who told him celebrities don't engage in stock mkt n so on? they make more money.
As KANU nwankwo dey, which banker, lawyer, fit stand am both in fame n cash?

He's not wrong, my opinion.

He's wrong, your opinion.

To each his own.
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Nobody: 10:24am On Aug 27, 2014
matify:
To add to the pervading madness, our younger ones and children are witness to the fact that a doctor can barely hold his head high in the committee of friend with the perceived paltry 250k he makes per month and which has to be speedily dispatched for" community development"leaving him with next to nothing other than to agitate for more.

Let's not even talk about our" learned brothers" or our engineers who have resorted to taking up jobs outside their disciplines or the banker that rearly see the sun because he works from dawn to dusk as if he is under a state of emergency in reverse but with no Naira to show for the hard confined labour.

To rub raw pepper on a festering sore, they see the 2baba, whizzy and davidos of this world who with little or no formal education display annoying opulence.

If you were in their shoes where will your heart be

The path of least resistance with a high return on investment ofcourse.

When I was 17 and 18 and mad for.music.nah only few of these guys don start by then.

Anyway, this nah my.morning..
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by joephemzyz(m): 10:28am On Aug 27, 2014
Thread of the year!
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by PassingShot(m): 10:29am On Aug 27, 2014
dabriggs:

Please go and read the expose again and see his point. He is saying there should be a balance. And frankly, betwneen me and anybody who cares to be on the other side of the divide, we need more doctors and engineers than Davidos. We celebrate the obvious absurd in Nigeria. No where in the write up did he call entertainers lazy people. You see what the system has done to you all. You cant read and comprehend.

And please, teenagers who cant even spell words correctly should stop coming here to claim upcoming stars. Youths who are seriously intellectually disabled.

As a matter of fact what is special about Nigerian music and entertainment industry? Is it "skelewu!skelewu" or "doro..doro..doro". or "chorkini chorkin"? And frankly I am not expecting much from the so called aspiring stars of Nigeria. We will keep hearing the same senseless repetitions in their music.

One day we may all be affected by the effects of half-baked intelectualism from our prolonged neglect and lack of foresight. Until Kings become intellectuals or intellectuals becom kings we cannot develop.

Anyway,to be a bit cynical, what are we even talking about? Afterall even when Nigerian Stars were unappreciated Nigeria hardly developed. Standarsds coul have been better back then,but it wasnt much really.

You make me laugh, @ the bolded.

Are we not already feeling the effect? Are you not aware that some of our teachers/lecturers are products of the half-baked intellectualism?
The damage is done already. We only need to work to salvage something out of the unfortunate situation we already find ourselves in.

3 Likes

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by musaajebor(m): 10:31am On Aug 27, 2014
Nayoanalytical: Correct write-up
MizMyColi: True, That.
RuffRhyder:
Just wanna say a very big thank you to the writer.
zemaye: Op you are spot on God help us o
RuffRhyder:
Just wanna say a very big thank you to the writer.
No be d op be the writer
nlanders no get sense aswear

the write up was culled from punchonline.com
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Ignyte(m): 10:41am On Aug 27, 2014
For this post mind now e want make i quit my dream

how many Literates have Lucrative Jobs?

by lucrative i don't mean d smaller part of a six figure salary.

I am an eighteen year old about delving into entertainment and i read this post. It is everything you have said is true. I study a course in the university and i have seen how much money the graduates of my course earn. Do you think i'll waste my life like that??.

A certain entertainer that came into limelight mid last year, makes 4million naira after every live performance. now, thats the dream.

i don't have any problems in my academics but if i stick to it ama be dead broke in the end. so, i have to chase the dream.
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by PrinceCharmiing(m): 10:43am On Aug 27, 2014
Its not bad! There was a time my mom use to take the chorus of my songs! She can rap also, yeah RAP! So everybody does music except my dad, na so e get time reach?
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Nobody: 10:45am On Aug 27, 2014
Horayce:
Wrong. Our educational standards started slipping way before faceboook and twitter. The signs of the decay were apparent even in the 90s through the early 2000s when i went to secondary school. From the stories our parents and uncles told us, they had it way better in the 70s and 80s. The story of our educational sector is that it's been been on decay mode since the british left its reins in our hands, it would be a stretch to ascribe it to a recent phenomenom as social media.
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by 4C2215131: 10:45am On Aug 27, 2014
A post reminiscent of the scholarship that used to abound in NL. Worthy FP material and not the crap that make FP in recent times. Nice observation OP, maybe someone with the power to effect a change with regards to your observations would inadvertently stumble on this post and act on it. Quite a balanced post. Big Up!

2 Likes

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Nobody: 10:49am On Aug 27, 2014
GOD deliver we the youths of this generation from from vain gibberish ideology that is tremendously insidious thereby running amok . laziness & lustful spirits is eating us up & killing us softly .

hay,! all lets arise .. nothing good ever comes easy , no pain , no praise , no price , no prize !!!

A WORD IS ENOUGH FOR THE WISE !!

#TaKe--TiMe--To--ThInK--tHrOuGh--TwIcE.....

-shalom-
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by nigerianvenom(m): 10:52am On Aug 27, 2014
ptoocool:
That is how a robust economy is built. It is an
economy in which people have the potential to
excel, to be rich and get national recognition in
whatever field they operate in. That way, children
who have the proclivity for research or teaching
are not discouraged by such fields’ low-rewarding
prospects and get lured into music or acting.
Those who will sing will sing. Those who will act
will act. But the nation must not make those who
should be in other fields to jump into
entertainment or emigrate, just because they
believe that their natural field is unappreciated.
thank u sir.
this point is crazily scripted.nigeria and africa is a one way traffic path untill we realise that diversification is the way out.
i shed tears when i realised that we ignore other sectors cos of entertainment.
permit to to post this on my facebook.i'll make reference to ur username.
i just followed u

1 Like

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Sennard(m): 10:55am On Aug 27, 2014
Those people singing gan are singing junk.they mix the beat and sing 4mins bulshit. And youths out there begin to hail em.let's blame the madness on ignorance.GOD bless the op and others who added confirm sense.let's pray we see the real path and strength to tread it .GOD bless our country and help it develop.It starts with you and me.

1 Like

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by 4C2215131: 10:59am On Aug 27, 2014
stagger: OP,

I get your point but you need to understand something.

Entertainers (especially those who play the kind of music we hear in Nigeria) do not have lifetime careers. For every successful one, there are more than 1,000 who do not make it. Timi Dakolo's career has struggled when compared with some of his Idol contestants like Omawunmi. Even for the best entertainers, a time will come when their music and style will fade out and succumb to that common enemy of all men called time. It happened to MJ, MC Hammer, etc.

Where are all those stars we imitated with funny hairdos in the 1980s? My senior prefect in school who used to spot one of those hairdos is as bald as can be today!

But when you go to school and pick up an education and a skill, you can earn with it for life with no limit as to what you can achieve. So it is a matter of choice:

a) Earn those millions as an entertainer for 3 to 10 years on the average,

OR

b) Use your education and skill to earn for 40 to 50 years. Mind you, earning is not just from a salary. You can be creative. Develop software. Write books. Create a new product or develop and invention. Pioneer some kind of research. Start a business and aim to turn it into a conglomerate or a global brand.

As parents, it is our duty to teach our kids and show them these options so they can learn.
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by 4C2215131: 11:02am On Aug 27, 2014
stagger: OP,

I get your point but you need to understand something.

Entertainers (especially those who play the kind of music we hear in Nigeria) do not have lifetime careers. For every successful one, there are more than 1,000 who do not make it. Timi Dakolo's career has struggled when compared with some of his Idol contestants like Omawunmi. Even for the best entertainers, a time will come when their music and style will fade out and succumb to that common enemy of all men called time. It happened to MJ, MC Hammer, etc.

Where are all those stars we imitated with funny hairdos in the 1980s? My senior prefect in school who used to spot one of those hairdos is as bald as can be today!

But when you go to school and pick up an education and a skill, you can earn with it for life with no limit as to what you can achieve. So it is a matter of choice:

a) Earn those millions as an entertainer for 3 to 10 years on the average,

OR

b) Use your education and skill to earn for 40 to 50 years. Mind you, earning is not just from a salary. You can be creative. Develop software. Write books. Create a new product or develop and invention. Pioneer some kind of research. Start a business and aim to turn it into a conglomerate or a global brand.

As parents, it is our duty to teach our kids and show them these options so they can learn.

You my friend, got it all on point. Nice reasoning, real nice. There is hope for Nigeria, still if only these comatose old politicians can "Make Way" ( in Pato Ranking and Terry G's voice...yea, I love me some good ragga cuts. That Pato chap, got it on lock...at least for now)

1 Like

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by MOIart(m): 11:05am On Aug 27, 2014
Guys please,to my own understanding,this topic is clearly not to discourage you from pursuing your talent(in which entertaining skill is one).You can pursue your education and as well develope or work on the talent you have.You don't know which one will pay off in future.
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by 4C2215131: 11:10am On Aug 27, 2014
lebesgue:

He didn't write it. He culled it from http://www.punchng.com/opinion/before-all-our-children-become-musicians/

Did he now? Well, still an excellent write up. Kudos to the originator. If true, OP next time ALWAYS credit your source. Doesn't cost anything.
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by agrovick(m): 11:12am On Aug 27, 2014
lebesgue:

He didn't write it. He culled it from http://www.punchng.com/opinion/before-all-our-children-become-musicians/
thanks
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Nobody: 11:24am On Aug 27, 2014
But it doesn't make sense at all. You will see a science student aspiring to be like 2face or other renowned musicians. Why didn't he choose Art then?
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by MOIart(m): 11:28am On Aug 27, 2014
Ignyte: For this post mind now e want make i quit my dream

how many Literates have Lucrative Jobs?

by lucrative i don't mean d smaller part of a six figure salary.

I am an eighteen year old about delving into entertainment and i read this post. It is everything you have said is true. I study a course in the university and i have seen how much money the graduates of my course earn. Do you think i'll waste my life like that??.

A certain entertainer that came into limelight mid last year, makes 4million naira after every live performance. now, thats the dream.

i don't have any problems in my academics but if i stick to it ama be dead broke in the end. so, i have to chase the dream.
It seems to me that you are more and more interested in the money.Am also in your shoes,but let others see the gift you have then any money that come should be appreciated.
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by tecmon: 11:40am On Aug 27, 2014
bigx: grin Bad Belle Post

See it this way, when everyone veers into music (and most fail), it would create a scarcity of professionals and the demand for doctors and the rest would increase with the attendant reduced supply (check the humongous failure rate in waec). The current poor salaries they are earning is a result of everybody wanting to be a doctor, lawyer or engineer because of perceived high salaries (at least when I went through school)
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by okotv(m): 11:57am On Aug 27, 2014
i have always maintained that we do celebrate mediocrity in this country. Imagine those in the entertainment and political industry are been celebrated to the detriment of those that really make things work...examples are doctors, military men, teachers, farmers, and the highly intellectual..it a shame for the country and i hope the future is bright cause we are going down hill and yet we want to see light at the end...

1 Like

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by tecmon: 12:12pm On Aug 27, 2014
bigx: grin Bad Belle Post

See it this way, when everyone veers into music (and most fail), it would create a scarcity of professionals and the demand for doctors and the rest would increase with the attendant reduced supply (check the humongous failure rate in waec). The current poor salaries they are earning is a result of everybody wanting to be a doctor, lawyer or engineer because of perceived high salaries (at least when I went through school)

I think you are the "bad belle" fellow here, i doubt if you ever went to school, or you were among those that cross the window as the teacher crosses the door. you feel that to increase salaries we have to create scarcity of professionals, and to create the scarcity we have to derail the youths and waste a whole generation. We are talking of something that affects national development here, If the US have scarcity of professional, do you think they would have become a world power , and you still cant see the reason why they are the ones drilling the oil in your backyard and constructing your airports, while all you do is sit and type rubbish on the iphone they also manufactured for you. Yet your mediocre mind cannot escape the centripetal force of salary. Is Dangote a salary earner or is he a comedian , is Bill Gates a rapper ?, what of Prof Barth Nnaji, Nnamdi Ozobia, Innoson etc who are professionals and also big time employers of labour. if we have more of these one in Nigeria , wouldnt our country be better and there will be more employment for the deserving ones ?

3 Likes

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by MizMyColi(f): 12:12pm On Aug 27, 2014
And You Had To Cuss To Make Your Point Known undecided
Smh4U angry
musaajebor:
No be d op be the writer
nlanders no get sense aswear

the write up was culled from punchonline.com
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by MizMyColi(f): 12:16pm On Aug 27, 2014
Ptoocool, what's the source of this post.

I wanna learn some more.
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Lillyeean(f): 12:20pm On Aug 27, 2014
Horayce: I disagree with the main thrust of OP's article. How much do Nigerian entertainers earn anyway? The top 1% engineers, doctors, bankers, businessmen in Nigeria still make more money than Nigeria's richest entertainers. So as a market economy Nigeria isn't faring as badly as you paint here even if there's still a lot of room to improve. Politics is an obvious exception because of corruption. There are 99.99% of wannabe entertainers who will try and fail, and who we will most probably never hear about. For every tuface there are 100,000 also rans who will never hit the big time; so you can't generalize and say all our children want to be entertainers-- kids eventually realize the odds are terribly against you if your are not super talented or gifted. And a university education gives u a hedge/a safety net which you wouldn't have if you focused solely on comedy or music or sports. And while its easy to get drawn to the allure of celebrity life full of hype and make believe, stories of the odd celebrity who can't pay for his rent on his two bedroom apartment still abound. Meanwhile you have stockbrokers whom no one ever hears about quietly tabbing up over a 100 million a year. Kids eventually realize this

I'm torn between this argument and that of the OP..... angry undecided ....... but I'll go with this one sad
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by laytoshtwo: 12:25pm On Aug 27, 2014
l just imagine if Spelling bee goes for 5m for the winner

1 Like

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by IdeeEsperanza(m): 12:49pm On Aug 27, 2014
As a child, I always wished to become an actor or musical artist. To be honest, some five years ago I was still into music. But recently, I realised I was simply dreaming of "building castles in the air". I'm now a graduate and serving with a job waiting for me, whereas my music peers back than are now struggling with JAMB. When I withdrew from them, I was mocked and dissed - "you are so lazy and without talents". I thank God for my life now. I dont want to be an entertainer.

@OP, God bless you (whether it's copied/culled from punch, blow, hit or vanguard)

2 Likes

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by salvatore007(m): 12:50pm On Aug 27, 2014
One of dose things dat kills children talents... wen i waz yung knew hw 2draw sing n dance buh my dad hated it 2d extent dat he once locked me out ovanight for peformn xmas carol nd cumn hme late

My point: If ur child z brilliant let him develop it nd if ur child z talented dnt kill hiz talent buh encourage him period....
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by M4gunners: 1:08pm On Aug 27, 2014
I don vex, I,m going back to School .Eh but wait oh, if finish shey i go get work sha?
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Lilimax(f): 1:12pm On Aug 27, 2014
dabriggs:

Please go and read the expose again and see his point. He is saying there should be a balance. And frankly, betwneen me and anybody who cares to be on the other side of the divide, we need more doctors and engineers than Davidos. We celebrate the obvious absurd in Nigeria. No where in the write up did he call entertainers lazy people. You see what the system has done to you all. You cant read and comprehend.

And please, teenagers who cant even spell words correctly should stop coming here to claim upcoming stars. Youths who are seriously intellectually disabled.

As a matter of fact what is special about Nigerian music and entertainment industry? Is it "skelewu!skelewu" or "doro..doro..doro". or "chorkini chorkin"? And frankly I am not expecting much from the so called aspiring stars of Nigeria. We will keep hearing the same senseless repetitions in their music.

One day we may all be affected by the effects of half-baked intelectualism from our prolonged neglect and lack of foresight. Until Kings become intellectuals or intellectuals becom kings we cannot develop.

Anyway,to be a bit cynical, what are we even talking about? Afterall even when Nigerian Stars were unappreciated Nigeria hardly developed. Standarsds coul have been better back then,but it wasnt much really.
Likes!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

UMS (university Of Medical Sciences), Ondo State Admission Thread 2016/2017 / Amina Yahaya Is 2nd Female SUG Leader In A Northern Nigerian University / Apply For Fully-Funded Scholarships At Kyushu University, Japan 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.