Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,127 members, 7,887,262 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 05:10 AM

Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown (12729 Views)

Oscar Pistorius Charged With Murder Of Reeva Steenkamp / Pistorius Crushed His Girlfriend's Skull Before Shooting Her / Oscar Pistorius Charged With Premeditated Murder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by solara: 11:46pm On Sep 10, 2014
maestroferddi: "Insultive" used by many people is actually wrong English.

The correct word should be "insulting".

I hope you don't mind being corrected...

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/insultive

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Insultive

https://www.google.com.ng/search?q=insultive&oq=insultive&aqs=chrome..69i57.4159j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

MR LECTURER
Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by kobonaire(m): 11:49pm On Sep 10, 2014
stagger: I think you need to ask Lucky Dube and many unfortunate ones like him the bolded. Try living in Jo'burg as a Nigerian...I am sure you will understand better.
Yes, I have heard that Nigerians are targeted in some areas in SA. Though I have to say overall, people living there are not in constant fear and take necessary precautions. It's just like 9ja. The world's public opinion, driven by media reports, may be that everyone is under the constant threat of a boko haram bomb or an armed robber. Whereas in most cases that is not true. One does have to take the necessary precautions, not move around at night etc but it's not like everyone is living in constant fear.

1 Like

Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by Neinah(f): 11:50pm On Sep 10, 2014
stagger: Don't forget the likelihood of appeal. At the end of the day, the question is: what kind of society gets so violent that murder, robberies, rapes and all forms of violent crimes takes hold for paraplegics to have to keep several firearms (including one under his pillow)?

At the end of the day, Naija is still a good place to live in. I will never substitute living in Naija for SA. NEVER!

My point Exactly! The government of South Africa have failed her citizens woefully and ultimately share a HUGE part of the blame for Reeva's death. They should also be sued to court! angry
Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by sistrunk: 12:08am On Sep 11, 2014
We will know the Truth! no jurors, just two assesors and a judge!!! However, the prosecution has not failed in any way to tender evidence that O.P's action was premedidated!!!!
Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by maestroferddi: 12:09am On Sep 11, 2014
solara:

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/insultive

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Insultive

https://www.google.com.ng/search?q=insultive&oq=insultive&aqs=chrome..69i57.4159j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

MR LECTURER
Do I blame you?

Keep putting you trust in non-standard and scrabble dictionaries.

I was expecting you to cite authorities like Oxford, Longman, Webster or Chambers and you are here quoting Urban dictionary abi na wiktionary.

Go and write exams with your tacky dictionaries and let's see whether your effort wouldn't be crowned with an F9.
Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by Nobody: 12:17am On Sep 11, 2014
Neinah:

My point Exactly! The government of South Africa have failed her citizens woefully and ultimately share a HUGE part of the blame for Reeva's death. They should also be sued to court! angry

Rubbish! Sued in court for what? Do you know how many women are killed by their spouses/lovers around the globe? PLENTY. Doesn't mean the country has failed its people when that happens. Plus, people on trial for murder always come up with excuses. Some lame & some relevant. Still excuses nonetheless. I remember one case about a Canadian guy that killed his entire family & then had a nerve to say he was sleep walking while committing the murders. People blame anything to save their arses & I mean, ANYTHING. South Africa is not as bad as portrayed in the media. At least we don't dodge bullets on a daily basis unlike in some places, namely American ghettos. One of my American friends once told me that they sleep with mattresses blocking the windows at night in fear of being shot. We don't do that here. Never heard a single gunshot in the black neighbourhoods here.

Plus, check yourself before uttering nonsense about other people's countries. Your own country doesn't look that safe either, Boo- not only from crime but the enviroment itself. How do you even breathe in that place? My God!

1 Like

Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by bee444: 12:36am On Sep 11, 2014
Neinah: He's not guilty. The South African government is guilty for allowing civilians to own guns. Aside that, Pistorious should be cut some slacks, the poor guy has no legs, its only natural for him to react when he feels his life is under threat. Its a pity Reeva had to die tho, she was a victim of circumstance.

His life was never in any threat. Oscar is a thrill seeker and his disability has nothing to do with meting out the right judgement. Imagine shooting through your toilet door 5 times without hearing a single voice of the proclaimed "intruder" hiding in your toilet. Common sense would have you look and check your partner if she's ok before proceeding to the toilet to shoot any body.

Yelling out before shooting would automatically make you identify who's behind the toilet door. And not knowing your girlfriend was not on the bed with you is preposterously criminal and humanly impossible. Disabled people are quick to anger and would harm you at the slightest provocation.
Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by Nobody: 12:37am On Sep 11, 2014
docjuli: He will be set free.

He is viewed as an hero by his country; there is a great chance that he will be set free.
Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by 14(m): 1:17am On Sep 11, 2014
GUILTY
Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by Neinah(f): 2:47am On Sep 11, 2014
LaBellaMafiaZA:

Rubbish! Sued in court for what? Do you know how many women are killed by their spouses/lovers around the globe? PLENTY. Doesn't mean the country has failed its people when that happens. Plus, people on trial for murder always come up with excuses. Some lame & some relevant. Still excuses nonetheless. I remember one case about a Canadian guy that killed his entire family & then had a nerve to say he was sleep walking while committing the murders. People blame anything to save their arses & I mean, ANYTHING. South Africa is not as bad as portrayed in the media. At least we don't dodge bullets on a daily basis unlike in some places, namely American ghettos. One of my American friends once told me that they sleep with mattresses blocking the windows at night in fear of being shot. We don't do that here. Never heard a single gunshot in the black neighbourhoods here.

Plus, check yourself before uttering nonsense about other people's countries. Your own country doesn't look that safe either, Boo- not only from crime but the enviroment itself. How do you even breathe in that place? My God!

My country is not perfect we've got our own issues too, definitely! But we haven't degenerated to the point where we have to go to bed with a gun under our pillow.

Now let's leave the media aside, I'm talking based on the live feed from the court hearing. Pistorious' mother had a gun, she kept one in the house to protect herself and kids after the man of the house left. His father also had a gun, at a point he tells the court of how he gave his father consent to keep a gun in his safe. Now tell me what to expect from a child who grew up with guns around him and have been made to believe having a gun around u, is the best form of protection? If the government didn't generously dole out the license to own a gun, the chances of young Pistorious growing up with one in the house would have been reduced to zero. And maybe, just maybe, Reeva would still be alive today....
I never heard about the Canadian's story...PLEASE tell me it wasn't a LEGALLY OWNED GUN he used to kill his family.

About how we breathe... Sweetie we breathe just fine! You obviously haven't heard about our fresh air.

1 Like

Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by Neinah(f): 2:54am On Sep 11, 2014
bee444:

His life was never in any threat. Oscar is a thrill seeker and his disability has nothing to do with meting out the right judgement. Imagine shooting through your toilet door 5 times without hearing a single voice of the proclaimed "intruder" hiding in your toilet. Common sense would have you look and check your partner if she's ok before proceeding to the toilet to shoot any body.

Yelling out before shooting would automatically make you identify who's behind the toilet door. And not knowing your girlfriend was not on the bed with you is preposterously criminal and humanly impossible. Disabled people are quick to anger and would harm you at the slightest provocation.

I agree to a certain degree with u. Shooting 5 times was totally uncalled for. But common sense is not common at all, not after u've lived a lifetime with a disability and constant fear.
Oh well! Can't wait for the final hearing.
Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by 19naia(m): 3:11am On Sep 11, 2014
There is no question about him shooting her multiple times to cause her death... The trial is all about Motive in the shooting... The real Mystery is how he could be set free after the killing while the trial takes its sweet time...
I don't consider Oscars disability and fear shaped mind frame.. The real disabled people are the black south Africans who have been set back for generation by the displacement and degradation the white apartheid beneficiaries have made in South Africa... Oscar has a very good and easy life thanks to all the Black south africans who were displaced into a harder life so that better could be given to the whites there.. He will try to say he feared it was a robber that confused him and probably a black man robber at that... I feel for the disabling of the black south africans who lived in so much fear and degradation beneath the white people there and still white people are trying to act like victims of black people.. Even in this case clearly a white man shot his white woman to death ,and now a hypothetical black man robbing them is being thrust in the middle to carry the blame... Black people are like Jesus in this world, they bear the cross for the sins of those whose selfish motives have been greed to have it all to themselves and leave only damnation for the rest.... Every day a black man in America takes the blame and punishment for a crime done by a white person... Fear of responsibility..

2 Likes

Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by Teejayphillip(m): 5:02am On Sep 11, 2014
Oscar,God knows every man's truth.... If you are guilty or not,only God understands... I wish u well in whatsoever you face...

May God also grant d judge wisdom,knowledge and understanding on these case..
Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by Nobody: 5:32am On Sep 11, 2014
Neinah:

My country is not perfect we've got our own issues too, definitely! But we haven't degenerated to the point where we have to go to bed with a gun under our pillow.

Now let's leave the media aside, I'm talking based on the live feed from the court hearing. Pistorious' mother had a gun, she kept one in the house to protect herself and kids after the man of the house left. His father also had a gun, at a point he tells the court of how he gave his father consent to keep a gun in his safe. Now tell me what to expect from a child who grew up with guns around him and have been made to believe having a gun around u, is the best form of protection? If the government didn't generously dole out the license to own a gun, the chances of young Pistorious growing up with one in the house would have been reduced to zero. And maybe, just maybe, Reeva would still be alive today....
I never heard about the Canadian's story...PLEASE tell me it wasn't a LEGALLY OWNED GUN he used to kill his family.

About how we breathe... Sweetie we breathe just fine! You obviously haven't heard about our fresh air.

You mean, fresh air to you people over there. I'd suffocate. Anyway, I am not going to discuss my country's gun laws with you because it doesn't concern you anyway. I'll tell you this though, if it wasn't a gun then he would have used something else. End of story. Many people here own guns, but rarely do they turn them & use them against family members. That is Oscar's personal issue & not the country's. If he was raised with that much paranoia, thinking he need a gun for protection, again, that's his & his family issue not the country's. Fact is, he was pissed when he murdered her & is now hiding behind the burkha of crime to do damage control. Aren't you allowed to own guns there in mumustan? Just curious.
Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by DaBullIT(m): 6:12am On Sep 11, 2014
[size=15pt]If only the African Aro-Meta or more could view the replay what happened in their famous black pot .African forensics would be the best in the world[/size]
Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by pickabeau1: 6:22am On Sep 11, 2014
Legendoscar2:

No balance is: "Click here if you think The defense and the Prosecution is Guilty" cheesy
grin cheesy
Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by claremont(m): 6:50am On Sep 11, 2014
swagloverss: Click like here if you think he's guilty.
He is definitely guilty, his own story on why he shot her doesn't hold water at all.
Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by clemzo101(m): 8:16am On Sep 11, 2014
Fucking guilty
Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by UuzbaGuuzba: 8:32am On Sep 11, 2014
Neinah:

It is the guilty conscience of apartheid, the after effects of hatred and mistrust that is worrying South Africa till today. That is why they can be keeping guns under their pillows.

1 Like

Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by UuzbaGuuzba: 8:39am On Sep 11, 2014
Teejayphillip: Oscar,God knows every man's truth.... If you are guilty or not,only God understands... I wish u well in whatsoever you face...

May God also grant d judge wisdom,knowledge and understanding on these case..

Honestly, I do not ever want to be a judge. i mean. How do Judges sleep?
Sheybe they will die one day. And God will judge the judge according to the judges on rigid and strict measures. E no go easy O. Oscar fit dey do Jury for that case.
Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by solidman59(m): 9:36am On Sep 11, 2014
I also feel it was a well ochestrated murder seeing that he chose the D-day to be on valentine's day. I find it incumbent that this guy sees the inside of a prison cell. At least for owning a firearm and using it.
manny4life: He's GUILTY... A well orchestrated murder.
Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by uken73(m): 9:47am On Sep 11, 2014
iswallker:

Common guy..how often have u opened fire when u hear noise in ur rest room...common... grin

Its a bad case being made to look good cause its pistorious...a celebrity...
People with disabilities easily get agitated mostly due to personal insecurity. For instance, I would not advice someone to argue with a stammerer when he has a weapon close by. Stammerers are well known to easily be provoked to anger often resulting in violence when they are engaged in arguments especially if they are loosing the argument. I've not really followed the case, but one can't completely rule out the possibility of this being a mistake.
Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by Nobody: 10:05am On Sep 11, 2014
UuzbaGuuzba:

It is the guilty conscience of apartheid, the after effects of hatred and mistrust that is worrying South Africa till today. That is why they can be keeping guns under their pillows.

No, it is the Pistorius family issue & NOT a South African issue. He grew up in a household of gun lovers/collectors, so of course he developed a passion for guns as an adult. That is THEIR issue. An average South African doesn't even own a firearm. We rely alarms (ADT) & burglar gates on windows/doors. Where do you people get all this crap from? You know nothing about South Africa or South Africans for you to make such ridiculous statements. The gall of spewing garbage as facts. Amazing. And stop making everything about Apartheid when you know nothing about it other than what you read on books, online etc. Not everything is about Apartheid. Many people all over the world own guns, sleep with guns etc & never experienced Apartheid. Explain that. It's paranoia & nothing else if you ask me.
Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by LordReed(m): 12:47pm On Sep 11, 2014
As I've told people around me Pistorius will most likely get a suspended sentence plus compensation to Reeva's family plus a revocation of his gun license. All the defense needed was reasonable doubt and they got.
Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by morpheus24: 3:44pm On Sep 11, 2014
Another privileged Afrikaner gets away with murder. South African justice.

Didn't his brother get away with the same charge of culpable Homicide with a fine no jail term.

I feel for Reeva
Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by morpheus24: 3:49pm On Sep 11, 2014
LaBellaMafiaZA:
No, it is the Pistorius family issue & NOT a South African issue. He grew up in a household of gun lovers/collectors, so of course he developed a passion for guns as an adult. That is THEIR issue. An average South African doesn't even own a firearm. We rely alarms (ADT) & burglar gates on windows/doors. Where do you people get all this crap from? You know nothing about South Africa or South Africans for you to make such ridiculous statements. The gall of spewing garbage as facts. Amazing. And stop making everything about Apartheid when you know nothing about it other than what you read on books, online etc. Not everything is about Apartheid. Many people all over the world own guns, sleep with guns etc & never experienced Apartheid. Explain that. It's paranoia & nothing else if you ask me.

Come on we all know White Sa are terrified of black crime and a lot of them carry guns or want to carry guns. These privileged Afrikaners believe they will be besieged one day by the majority population and so are arming up so they will be ready in the event.

Oscar's story is just an aftermath of the manifestation of that fear. If that f.oo.l gets off with a suspended sentence this will just re affirm to :"whiteys" that they continue to be regarded as privileged individuals under the law when people like jub jub who committed similar crimes are sentenced to jail terms.

Shame
Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by Nobody: 4:36pm On Sep 11, 2014
morpheus24:

Come on we all know White Sa are terrified of black crime and a lot of them carry guns or want to carry guns. These privileged Afrikaners believe they will be besieged one day by the majority population and so are arming up so they will be ready in the event.

Oscar's story is just an aftermath of the manifestation of that fear. If that f.oo.l gets off with a suspended sentence this will just re affirm to :"whiteys" that they continue to be regarded as privileged individuals under the law when people like jub jub who committed similar crimes are sentenced to jail terms.

Shame

Who is not terrified of crime? Like I said, some of those white people that cuddle up to guns at night, want to carry guns just incase or whatever, they do so because they are paranoid. Why would we wait 20 years to attack them? It makes no sense. Some left & went to Australia after '94, but came back. No sane black person in South Africa is even thinking about whites or plotting revenge against whites etc. We don't care. Life goes on. Apartheid has been gone for a very long time now. We don't have time for that. Hell, people my age didn't even experience the worst of it. Only thing I remember about it is a lot of toyi-toying, the death of Chris Hani etc. Mild stuff. Most of us didn't experience the hardcore hence we're able to let bygones be bygones. Life's too short & our country is too precious to Bleep it up over that. Only way is forward.

I really don't care about the outcome of Oscar's case or how it will affect white people. Criminals are criminals & the law will rule how it see fits. As a civilian, I couldn't care less- I've got my own shit to worry about. I leave the judgment up to law officials.

It amazes me why you people always make everything about race. SMH
Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by Neinah(f): 4:58pm On Sep 11, 2014
LaBellaMafiaZA:

You mean, fresh air to you people over there. I'd suffocate. Anyway, I am not going to discuss my country's gun laws with you because it doesn't concern you anyway. I'll tell you this though, if it wasn't a gun then he would have used something else. End of story. Many people here own guns, but rarely do they turn them & use them against family members. That is Oscar's personal issue & not the country's. If he was raised with that much paranoia, thinking he need a gun for protection, again, that's his & his family issue not the country's. Fact is, he was pissed when he murdered her & is now hiding behind the burkha of crime to do damage control. Aren't you allowed to own guns there in mumustan? Just curious.

Loool @ you'll suffocate. That's why God in his infinite wisdom made u South African (U are right?), thanks be to him.
Pistorious' case is very popular because he is a celebrity in your country. There might be other cases like this which doesn't come to light but that's by the way.
I blame your government for allowing the crime rate get so high that a sane mother would resort to having guns in the same house she has little kids. Judge Masipa, emphasised on this point today, she stated that Pistorious lived in "a crime riddled area..." What do u have to say about that?

I don't support his action, firing at a closed door more than twice was uncalled for really, but then his background, childhood experiences, physical disability and the psychological effect these have had on him, not excluding the role ur government played have to be put into consideration.

And since you won't discuss your country's gun laws with me don't ask me about mine, ask Google.
Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by Neinah(f): 5:02pm On Sep 11, 2014
UuzbaGuuzba:

You may be right.
Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by morpheus24: 5:07pm On Sep 11, 2014
LaBellaMafiaZA:

It amazes me why you people always make everything about race. SMH

Cause for the past couple of centuries that's what the opposing side concentrated and screwed up humanity entirely. before the 17th century there was no such thing as "White" or "race" for that matter. People mostly identified based on cultural or geographical affinities.

In comes "white supremacy" manufactured by a group of so called new age "intellectual" thinkers and now we are all screwed up and continue to suffer consequences of this group while another group stay "privileged" and you expect us not be a little bit cross.

As long as you live in a Multi-racial society, everything you do will be defined by this, it is inescapable whether you turn a blind eye to it or not give or take about 400-600 years.

To tolerate one another does not equate to racial homogeneity and the Oscar case is an example of it.

Why didn't your local rapper Jub Jub get the same culpable homicide verdict after "accidentally" running into those kids.

Why did Oscar's brother get away with the same crime "culpable homicide."??

Hmmm?
Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by Nobody: 5:08pm On Sep 11, 2014
morpheus24: Another privileged Afrikaner gets away with murder. South African justice.

Didn't his brother get away with the same charge of culpable Homicide with a fine no jail term.

I feel for Reeva

Doesn't matter. Another black guy that shot his pregnant wife in the dark also got away with it & 2 white killers were convicted of their crimes, so whatever. Nobody cares. Do you think South Africans are going to riot over this? Well, think again. You really do not know us well. WE NO LONGER ASSOCIATE EVERYTHING TO SKIN COLOUR. Ain't nobody have time for that here. Some rot in jail for their crimes & some don't...meanwhile the world doesn't stop turn. So stop trying to make us think that this is all about race when it is not, it's not going to work, buddy.

Btw, do you happen to believe in astrology? According to astrology, South Africa's zodiac sign is Sagittarius. Read up on Sagittarius traits. Only thing that is important to the sign of Sagittarius is FREEDOM. Nothing else matters when they are free. Sagittarius is ruled by Jupiter, the planet of luck & expansion wink South Africa has been a very fortunate country despite its dark past & we will keep on being blessed because it's all in the stars wink

What's your zodiac sign, btw? I find you slightly manipulative just like a scorpio or other water signs (cancer & pisces).
Re: Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown by morpheus24: 5:18pm On Sep 11, 2014
LaBellaMafiaZA:
Doesn't matter. Another black guy that shot his pregnant wife in the dark also got away with it & 2 white killers were convicted of their crimes, so whatever. Nobody cares. Do you think South Africans are going to riot over this? Well, think again. You really do not know us well. WE NO LONGER ASSOCIATE EVERYTHING TO SKIN COLOUR. Ain't nobody have time for that here. Some rot in jail for their crimes & some don't...meanwhile the world doesn't stop turn. So stop trying to make us think that this is all about race when it is not, it's not going to work, buddy.

Obviously a youngen who believes in a we are the world scenario perpetrated by leftists. The name of the game will always be "POWER". White supremacy is the mechanism used to attain, control and retain power cloaked in "skin color". Doesn't matter if the person was colored green. It is nonsensical to dislike someone based on a physical adaptation to climate.

Two different things.

LaBellaMafiaZA:
Btw, do you happen to believe in astrology? According to astrology, South Africa's zodiac sign is Sagittarius. Read up on Sagittarius traits. Only thing that is important to the sign of Sagittarius is FREEDOM. Nothing else matters when they are free. Sagittarius is ruled by Jupiter, the planet of luck & expansion wink South Africa has been a very fortunate country despite its dark past & we will keep on being blessed because it's all in the stars wink
What's your zodiac sign, btw? I find you slightly manipulative just like a scorpio or other water signs (cancer & pisces).

Don't believe in zodiacs

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

North Korea Nuclear Test Will Be Part Of Fight Against U.S. / Yonov Agah, 3 Others: WTO Pays Tribute To Outgoing Deputy Directors-general / Biden: US To Block Bomb, Artillery Shell Shipments If Israel Invades Rafah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.