Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,905 members, 7,872,937 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 04:44 AM

The 2nd Law - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The 2nd Law (5506 Views)

Jesus Christ Will Be Born Again The 2nd Time Before Judgement Day / Public Holiday On The 2nd or 5th Of Jan??? / Pastor Adeboye Is The 2nd Most Respected Man Of God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 2nd Law by Nobody: 10:05pm On Oct 09, 2014
plaetton:

Lol! @ the Boeing 747 argument for god. That argument is so infantile, it is not worth repudiating again.
Now, have you ever considered the beauty, complexity, symmetry, geometry and the mathematical exactitude of a randomly formed snowflake?

MrPresident1:

The 747 argument is chosen because it is easier seen through the mind’s eye. It is practical, logical and scientific.

Now take a very good look at your own words, from a self-acclaimed scientist; you talk about beauty, complexity, symmetry, geometry, and exactitude, and yet you say 'randomly formed'?

Don't you think you are creating doubts about your intelligence?

The bold is why I don't take them Nairaland atheists seriously! It's glaring intelligent design and nothing more.....In fact the idea that universal laws were created by purposeless, random, chance chemical events is completely absurd!

Martian:

The same probability of your magical skymaster riding down from the clouds during the feast of roshashanna.
Speaking of roshashanna, aren't you supposed to have been raptured to heaven or something on September25?
Did jesus reschedule again?

Heathen, resorted to mockery as usual smdh! grin He is "magical" to you because you can't understand him/she/it! That delusion of disbelief has held you in prison too long....I see you've lost touch with "truth" already; you need the LORD's mercy grin

1 Like

Re: The 2nd Law by plaetton: 10:11pm On Oct 09, 2014
doubleDx:

The bold is why I don't take them Nairaland atheists seriously! It's glaring intelligent design and nothing more.....In fact the idea that universal laws were created by a purposeless, random, chance chemical events is completely absurd!

Heathen, resorted to mockery as usual smdh! grin He is "magical" to you because you can't understand him/she/it! That delusion of disbelief has held you in prison too long....I see you've lost touch with "truth" already; you need the LORD's mercy grin
Facts are facts, irrespective if how you and I feel, or the words we choose to describe them.

1 Like

Re: The 2nd Law by SNCOQ3(m): 10:37pm On Oct 09, 2014
davien:

2.you claiming patterns exists because order does is a fallacy.....first you just made a claim as true without giving definitive demonstrations....patterns can be derived from any disorderly object or phenomenon.....infact .....psychotherapists employ random imagery to reveal our notions on them....and naturally we derive ordered notions from them....patterns exist in everything no matter how random and order isn't a factor....

What you mean by the bolded is not even clear enough to make any sense.

Lets assume psychotherapists employ random imagery to achieve...whatever; Do they employ this random imagery in a controlled and orderly way or not? (Please also take cognizance that this random images are applied by intelligent minds for a purpose.)
Re: The 2nd Law by wiegraf: 11:00pm On Oct 09, 2014
err, good genius josh, and your excellent science from answering genesis, in what universe did some scientist, a real one ie, tell you the evolution violates the second law?

what of say, the formation of mountains, rivers, stars or snowflakes. do they also violate the second law?

2 Likes

Re: The 2nd Law by plaetton: 11:12pm On Oct 09, 2014
SNCOQ3:

Lets assume psychotherapists employ random imagery to achieve...whatever; Do they employ this random imagery in a controlled and orderly way or not? (Please also take cognizance that this random images are applied by intelligent minds for a purpose.)

You can look at a sand dune see a pattern, you can look at ocean waves and see a repeating pattern.
Does that imply that sand dunes and ocean waves are intelligently designed and directed for a purpose?

Re: The 2nd Law by plaetton: 11:13pm On Oct 09, 2014
SNCOQ3:

You can look at a sand dune see a pattern, you can look at ocean waves and see a repeating pattern.
Does that imply that sand dunes and ocean waves are intelligently designed and directed for a purpose?
Re: The 2nd Law by davien(m): 11:29pm On Oct 09, 2014
SNCOQ3:

Lets assume psychotherapists employ random imagery to achieve...whatever; Do they employ this random imagery in a controlled and orderly way or not? (Please also take cognizance that this random images are applied by intelligent minds for a purpose.) elaborate more please and define your terms so as that we can agree on your terms.....namely "controlled and orderly"

Re: The 2nd Law by SNCOQ3(m): 11:43pm On Oct 09, 2014
plaetton:

Patterns of ocean waves and sand dunes are created by forces obeying certain physical laws- just like the formation of snowflakes. Physical Laws are fixed, not arbitrary just like you have posited earlier- otherwise they won't be laws. This laws exist because their is order in the universe, order in this "complex machine" of a universe is evidence for God.

1 Like

Re: The 2nd Law by davien(m): 11:44pm On Oct 09, 2014
SNCOQ3:

yes ofcourse in a controlled environment(like all experiments).....orderly if you mean well presented....yes....and why are "intelligent minds" and the "purpose" of special relevance to you.....or are you trying to pull an equivocation fallacy(1 is a number and 2 is also a number therefore 2=1 ? undecided )
Re: The 2nd Law by SNCOQ3(m): 11:46pm On Oct 09, 2014
---I rest my case---
Re: The 2nd Law by davien(m): 11:54pm On Oct 09, 2014
SNCOQ3 how do you differentiate between a universe that is intelligently designed and one that is not?.......

2 Likes

Re: The 2nd Law by plaetton: 3:11am On Oct 10, 2014
SNCOQ3:

Patterns of ocean waves and sand dunes are created by forces obeying certain physical laws- just like the formation of snowflakes. Physical Laws are fixed, not arbitrary just like you have posited earlier- otherwise they won't be laws. This laws exist because their is order in the universe, order in this "complex machine" of a universe is evidence for God.

With all due respect, this is sounding ridiculous.
First, the laws of physics are fixed, but the processes that agglomerate around those laws are variable and always in flux.
Therefore, there no fixed order in the universe. The universe is always in a state of flux.
The order that you speak about are simply a matter of perspective.
For example, in order for you to continue making the claim that universe is orderly and implies purposeful design, you must first see or show a universe that DOES NOT show evidence of order and design.

Secondly, those of you who peddle this fallacy of orderliness in the universe are either ignorant of , or simply feigning amnesia about all that we have scientifically discovered about the birth of the universe, the early periods of our young universe and the 14 billion year evolution of our universe.
Like magic ( which seem to appeal to you guys) , you think that the universe, the Earth, and the Boeing 747 just miraculously came into being in full form, ignoring, as you are all fund of, the small and incremental processes of adjustments and improvements that have occurred over the life of the universe, the Earth and aviation and aeronautics.

The fallacy of the god-did-it theory is that it is not testable.
It does not have any predictable qualities or attributes.
It involves the invocation of magic to what is essentially are scientific, mathematically deduceable processes.
It is wishy washy.
It is a lazy cop-out that discourages scientific inquiry.

It also opens up a pandora's box of more ridiculous theories that has to support it.
For example, if a mind created the universe, then would you be open to the possibility that it might have been the mind of an inebriated Spaghetti Monster?
If you think that is too ridiculous to consider, then welcome to the club.

A mind that is outside the limits of the universe simply cannot exist in the universe.
Mind and consciousness are by-products of the evolution of the universe, ..they are not the begetters of the universe.
Re: The 2nd Law by plaetton: 3:12am On Oct 10, 2014
davien:
SNCOQ3 how do you differentiate between a universe that is intelligently designed and one that is not?.......
That's the most important question.l
cool
Re: The 2nd Law by plaetton: 3:21am On Oct 10, 2014
Joshthefirst:
I see plaetton has refused to reply me. Maybe you can.

The second law of thermodynamics is the law of increasing entropy.

It states that the universe is always moving towards a greater state of disorder or entropy.
-Anything that happens spontaneously leads to increased entropy
-Processes that result in an increase in organization(a decrease in the 'spreading out' of energy, a decrease in entropy) will always require energy input and ARE NOT SPONTANEOUS.

Note that this law applies to isolated systems, of which earth is not a part . Note also that the term 'disorder' can sometimes be gravely misinterpreted as entropy which is largely used to connote statistics in energy processes and evaluations.

I have no bone to pick, just questions to ask.

I know the earth is not an isolated system, but that is not enough of a justification to me, I still need some issues sorted out.

What drives the evolution process? What causes this seeming 'achievement' of evolution we see in organisms today?

What drives the purpotedly blind process?

I took my time to ponder and fully understand your question, especially in the context of evolution.

But , as luck would have it, and as I am sure even you can see that from the bolded, you have actually rendered your own question null and void. cheesy
It is a question that does not make any sense if you accept the bolded as true.

And that is one thing I love about you Josh, .. Your last statements always seem to contradict your first.
lol. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: The 2nd Law by plaetton: 3:41am On Oct 10, 2014
SNCOQ3:

Mind --> Thought --> Word --> Language.
Mathematics exist as the language of the universe because a Mind exists that understands and communicates the order and mechanism of the universe.

Mathematics exists because a mind exists that understand .......?
In other words, with no mind to understand it, the mathematical laws of the universe do not exist?
Absurd proposition anchored on convoluted attempt at logic.

SNCOQ3:

All things in the universe have a mathematical relationship to others in your physics textbooks; and that is because the purpose of your textbooks is to communicate the mechanism and order in the universe with the language of mathematics.

This makes no sense.

SNCOQ3:

With the above quote, you just provided an evidence for God.
The relationship mathematics describes is fixed because their is order in the mechanism of the universe. Order in complexity exist because the Intelligent Mind designed it.

The laws of mathematics are fixed, but the variables that these laws act upon are not fixed, they are in a constant state of flux. Therefore, what may seem orderly are simply random processes or events that attain some degree of stability over a period of time.

What did the intelligent mind interact with?
What were the existing mathematical laws that intelligent mind obeyed in it's own existence?
What was the template for the design?

And by the way, what designed the intelligent mind that designed the universe?

2 Likes

Re: The 2nd Law by plaetton: 3:46am On Oct 10, 2014
SNCOQ3:

Atmospheric Conditions generating complex multi-symmetrically designed snowflakes at random is governed by a complex Physical Law. Physical laws are laws because they are ordered and consistent.

Their are proofs that an intelligent mind can create an ordered, consistent, physical law to govern the generation of random but well designed objects.

I(mind) wrote this code below to command (condition) my computer(environment) to generate random integer numbers. (no floating-point numbers...just integers).

--------------------------

#include <time.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

srand(time(NULL));
int random_integers = rand();

-----------------------

Game programmers have used this techniques as a means to generate fractals like snowflakes in conjunction with recursive functions.

Since you are so quick to attribute mathematical laws that produce random events as proof of intelligent design, then let me repeat the question that davien asked you.

Do you have any proof or examples of a universe that is not orderly and designed, so that we can compare, and then be able to say "yes, this universe is surely designed"?
Re: The 2nd Law by SNCOQ3(m): 5:27am On Oct 10, 2014

1 Like

Re: The 2nd Law by SNCOQ3(m): 5:35am On Oct 10, 2014
Mental gymnastics....pull off fallacies out of thin air....quoting out of context....self-contradictions....endless shifting....pseudo-intellectual rants...what a convoluted mess.

Denying God's existence by any means necessary just got even more desperate. Enjoy.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The 2nd Law by MrPresident1: 9:20am On Oct 10, 2014
SNCOQ3:
Mental gymnastics....pull off fallacies out of thin air....quoting out of context....self-contradictions....endless shifting....pseudo-intellectual rants...what a convoluted mess.

Denying God's existence by any means necessary just got even more desperate. Enjoy.

A billion likes for you.

It is shameful and disgusting, the kind of ramble these guys are putting forward all in a bid to disprove God. To even see that they are earning likes churns the stomach. Who the hell is liking the ignorant disjointed ramble of these pseudo-scientists discreditably led by Plaetton?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 2nd Law by MrPresident1: 9:47am On Oct 10, 2014
plaetton:

You defeat whatever arguments you intended when you invoke the word" spiritual". That nullified it and made a non- scientific, non rational argument.

But quite frankly, we do understand the processes [/b]of human reproduction. It is not a scriptural mystery. It is certainly not the same as invoking and unknown entity to take credit [b] for complex processes that we don't understand.

The bolded, it appears you are rambling.

'Spiritual konji' as I used it, is the colloquial term that describes sexual starvation in common parlance. It bears absolutely no significance to the substance of this discourse. Stop clutching at straws.

According to you, snow flakes are randomly created when the conditions are right, their exactitude, symmetry, and geometry are of no use whatsoever and serve no purpose (the randomness of their creation supposes that they are not planned and so have no purpose).

Since you argue that design in nature is not intelligent, the rational consequence of you argument would be that, You, Plaetton, are the product of the random mating of two adults, and that despite the complexity of your nature (DNA exactitude, symmetry, precision, coding for extremely complex functional systems), you are a product without plan and purpose, and by extension therefore, eternally useless.

Do I summarize your position well, Plaetton?

3 Likes

Re: The 2nd Law by plaetton: 1:13pm On Oct 10, 2014
SNCOQ3:

Clever attempt at dodging importance questions.
Kudos.

The god-did-it proposition and the clearly absurd and upside-down mental gymnastics used to try to prove it are the stuff of great comedies.
Re: The 2nd Law by urheme: 3:25pm On Oct 10, 2014
Martian:

Why don't you stand on a stool,put a noose around your neck and kick. Since space genie didn't show up to take you to paradise, you need to take the initiative and do your best to get there asap.

this joker is irritated,
you have absolutely nothing to say.

1 Like

Re: The 2nd Law by Nobody: 9:33pm On Oct 10, 2014
SNCOQ3:

Gbam!

The kind of desperation that stinks in their posts is alarming grin LOL!
Re: The 2nd Law by davien(m): 9:56pm On Oct 10, 2014
The false dichotomy on this thread stinks to high heaven.....how is the rejection of "intelligent design" imply "random design"?
This is a typical theist mentality...either you accept their ideas or you are the opposite undecided ...same with how by disproving theory A means assertion B is correct undecided
....and can someone tell me what the asteroid belt is "designed" to do?... or what the increasing entropy of the universe is good for?
and why in the blazes are floaters in the eye meant to do?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The 2nd Law by AgentOfAllah: 10:34pm On Oct 10, 2014
Joshthefirst:

Sorry sir. This is ranting.

The second law states that the universe tends to increasing entropy. Every act of organization and advancement requires directed energy. Energy can only be directed by a director. wink

That is my stance.

So how does the organization of evolution take place?

It is possible for entropy to cause localised order. Take the galaxies for example, their symmetries look ordered, yet they emerge purely from entropy.
Re: The 2nd Law by Joshthefirst(m): 8:10am On Oct 13, 2014
plaetton:

I took my time to ponder and fully understand your question, especially in the context of evolution.

But , as luck would have it, and as I am sure even you can see that from the bolded, you have actually rendered your own question null and void. cheesy
It is a question that does not make any sense if you accept the bolded as true.

And that is one thing I love about you Josh, .. Your last statements always seem to contradict your first.
lol. grin grin
please answer the questions in the last paragraph. Educate me. wink
Re: The 2nd Law by Joshthefirst(m): 8:12am On Oct 13, 2014
davien:
The false dichotomy on this thread stinks to high heaven.....how is the rejection of "intelligent design" imply "random design"?
This is a typical theist mentality...either you accept their ideas or you are the opposite undecided ...same with how by disproving theory A means assertion B is correct undecided
....and can someone tell me what the asteroid belt is "designed" to do?... or what the increasing entropy of the universe is good for?
and why in the blazes are floaters in the eye meant to do?
Lol. You are the one being hypocritical.

Maybe the increasing entropy of the universe is to show people like you there must have been one to harness it into useful creation in the beginning.
Re: The 2nd Law by Joshthefirst(m): 8:17am On Oct 13, 2014
plaetton:

Since you are so quick to attribute mathematical laws that produce random events as proof of intelligent design, then let me repeat the question that davien asked you.

Do you have any proof or examples of a universe that is not orderly and designed, so that we can compare, and then be able to say "yes, this universe is surely designed"?
Lol. This is quite cowardly and foolish.
Re: The 2nd Law by davien(m): 9:08am On Oct 13, 2014
Re: The 2nd Law by davien(m): 9:08am On Oct 13, 2014
Joshthefirst:
Lol. You are the one being hypocritical.

Maybe the increasing entropy of the universe is to show people like you there must have been one to harness it into useful creation in the beginning.
josh just stop....clearly you do not know the price increasing entropy costs in a scale such as the universe......because of increasing entropy energy is being re-arranged.....driving everything towards heat death..... undecided ....
and you don't just slot in your favorite myth to answer a question.....thats at best wishful thinking.....because if asked how you come about such a conclusion....you'd point me to bronze age tales....
Re: The 2nd Law by davien(m): 9:17am On Oct 13, 2014
Joshthefirst:
Lol. This is quite cowardly and foolish.
No it is not....plaetton realizes that the things we call designed aren't termed so because of order or beauty....no...
we term things designed because we have no examples of them having any natural origin.....you can hold up a clock and a twig in your hand and come to the conclusion that clocks....whether intricate or simple....do not occur naturally and then look at the twig....no matter its appearance or beauty and come to the conclusion that all examples of twigs show them to occur naturally.......
so what did SNCOQ3 compare to realize everything is designed or rather what would an undesigned universe appear to be?

1 Like

Re: The 2nd Law by Joshthefirst(m): 10:31am On Oct 13, 2014
davien:
No it is not....plaetton realizes that the things we call designed aren't termed so because of order or beauty....no...
we term things designed because we have no examples of them having any natural origin.....[b]you can hold up a clock and a twig in your hand and come to the conclusion that clocks....whether intricate or simple....do not occur naturally and then look at the twig....no matter its appearance or beauty and come to the conclusion that all examples of twigs show them to occur naturally.......

so what did SNCOQ3 compare to realize everything is designed or rather what would an undesigned universe appear to be? [/b]
No Sir you are very wrong.
And the example you gave is your very downfall.

We call things designed because we see a plan to them, a pattern, a plot, an intention. We see them fulfilling particular roles in the universe and we realize that they must have had a maker, a mastermind, a creator with a specific purpose and intent for them

You on the other hand in an effort not to be responsible or answerable to this creator and his purpose for tour life hold up a clock and acknowledge its human design and look up at the sky and orderly universe and look into the biochemistry of life as a biochemist. You look at the human mind and eye and the anatomy of living things and refuse to acknowledge their creator. You resort to foolishness and dodging.

You are closeminded. And you refuse to acknowledge truth.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Need Your Help With This Question. It's Urgent. / Atheists Comment Required: Deliverance / Juju: How Real Is African Black Magic?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.