Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,876 members, 7,872,893 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 02:52 AM

Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures - Agriculture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures (215500 Views)

Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria / Green House Tomato Production / Cassava Production And Processed Products Made From Cassava (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Fhemmmy: 2:48am On Jan 31, 2015
jethro2:

Oga Fhemmmy. We women are upping our games. Thank you sir

Surely would do business together, hopefully sooner rather than later. ....
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by farmrich: 11:27am On Jan 31, 2015
I've lived in Kenya for the past three years and I'm moving back to Nigeria in 2 weeks, what I want to add is the climate in Kenya is a bit different from Nigeria. You have the highlands and coastal areas. All areas I've encountered farming in Kenya are highland areas eg in Nairobi temperatures seldom exceed 25 degrees centigrade and fall as low as 10 degrees. I also lived in a town called Kericho where temperatures fall as low as 3 degrees.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by farmrich: 11:35am On Jan 31, 2015
Those are the kind of temps you'll see in places like jos and environs thus cultivation of strawberries and other sub temperate crops. Lagos and environs have temps more comparable to Kenyan coastal areas. They also pay attention to agric eg the challenges madam jethro encountered with prices won't have occurred because each week govt sets price per kg for each farm produce(like crude oil prices) so no buyer buys below that price

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by farmrich: 11:39am On Jan 31, 2015
They also have seeds suited to different areas. I bought seeds on Tuesday suited to coastal areas here in Nairobi with instructions on how to plant. I have some land I want to start farming with & expand when I gain relevant experience
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by farmrich: 11:54am On Jan 31, 2015
Kenyan agric success is as a result of individuals and favorable govt policies. About greenhouse construction, many Kenyans who can't afford amiram kits construct it themselves because the materials are readily available with bamboo poles. All the greenhouses I've seen are to make the temperatures a bit warmer, hopefully this week I'll visit one in an area similar to temps like ours or visit one in Nairobi now that the weather is hotter(around 27 degrees ) to see how they aerate it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by shinaboy: 4:51pm On Jan 31, 2015
jethro2:

Most are contented with where they are. While some are looking for sharp sharp money. We also have those that are waiting for the non existing government to send assistance. They keep forgetting that God help those who help themselves

Thanks Jethro for sharing your experience.

I know you mentioned that the min. Yield is 20 tonnes/ha but I would like to know what your own yield was?

What was the cost of growing the tomato from Planting to Harvesting? can u give a brief breakdown

What is the duration of growth?

Can direct me to any online resource to read more about tomato cultivation

Thank you so much

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 4:32am On Feb 01, 2015
Fhemmmy:

Surely would do business together, hopefully sooner rather than later. ....
Looking forward to that sir
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 5:26am On Feb 01, 2015
farmrich:
Kenyan agric success is as a result of individuals and favorable govt policies. About greenhouse construction, many Kenyans who can't afford amiram kits construct it themselves because the materials are readily available with bamboo poles. All the greenhouses I've seen are to make the temperatures a bit warmer, hopefully this week I'll visit one in an area similar to temps like ours or visit one in Nairobi now that the weather is hotter(around 27 degrees ) to see how they aerate it.
Those are valid points. Nigeria dont have good government policies but individuals can buckle up to make some difference
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 5:35am On Feb 01, 2015
shinaboy:

Thanks Jethro for sharing your experience.
I know you mentioned that the min. Yield is 20 tonnes/ha but I would like to know what your own yield was?
What was the cost of growing the tomato from Planting to Harvesting? can u give a brief breakdown
What is the duration of growth?
Can direct me to any online resource to read more about tomato cultivation
Thank you so much
The yield depend on a lot of factors among which are the type of seed use and farm practises management. My yield was not much because i didnt use good seedd and my farm practises as of then were not anything to write about.
Cost differs from location to location. Labour cost and implement lease are not the same in every location.
Tomato uses 21days in the nursery and 40 to 50 days on the field. The duration varies according to crop yields.
You can consult with Jasper, the cucumber expert. He has some online materials that are useful. I dont have online resources.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Babalagzy: 7:33pm On Feb 01, 2015
Hi Jethro,
Great information on tomato farming and marketing. Thank you for all the information and most importantly for sharing.
I will go into greenhouse tomato farming this month and will be glad to share all the info i can subsequently.
i wanted to find out if you weigh your produce or have an idea what your basket of tomatoes weighs.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by benzion72(m): 7:38pm On Feb 02, 2015
@Jethro you really challenged me. Your tenacity is unequaled.If I am producing tomato I wont sell raw tomato to market directly, I will go a step higher processing it to paste. Or grinding it with pepper and onion and packaging it for sales as cold freeze. Or just find away of eliminating the middle men and sell directly to end user. I think that will be better. imagine your challenge at getting the tomato from Iseyin to the market, Police check point, Produce check points.
Also one can establish neighborhood store with freezer and sell in kilogram, well grinded and well package. Check out what Zartech is doing selling directly to the populace if one get a good neighborhood well packed and frozen one can easily break even. I learnt of a lady who is selling soup and stew to corporate ladies.
I doff my cap for you. You are the man in the arena who has faced so many vicissitude and not giving up

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by world1(m): 9:12pm On Feb 02, 2015
YABDI ABEOKUTA AGRIBUSINESS SUMMIT

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 12:20am On Feb 03, 2015
Babalagzy:
Hi Jethro,
Great information on tomato farming and marketing. Thank you for all the information and most importantly for sharing.
I will go into greenhouse tomato farming this month and will be glad to share all the info i can subsequently.
i wanted to find out if you weigh your produce or have an idea what your basket of tomatoes weighs.
Yes. I do weigh the basket
The mefium size basket for mile 12 is 30 -35kg.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 12:23am On Feb 03, 2015
benzion72:

@Jethro you really challenged me. Your tenacity is unequaled.If I am producing tomato I wont sell raw tomato to market directly, I will go a step higher processing it to paste. Or grinding it with pepper and onion and packaging it for sales as cold freeze. Or just find away of eliminating the middle men and sell directly to end user. I think that will be better. imagine your challenge at getting the tomato from Iseyin to the market, Police check point, Produce check points.
Also one can establish neighborhood store with freezer and sell in kilogram, well grinded and well package. Check out what Zartech is doing selling directly to the populace if one get a good neighborhood well packed and frozen one can easily break even. I learnt of a lady who is selling soup and stew to corporate ladies.
I doff my cap for you. You are the man in the arena who has faced so many vicissitude and not giving up
Thank you sir.
There are lots of oppourtunities in vegetable production that one can tap in to. Most of it you have mentioned. I hope people will take advantage of the enormous chances

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by omonnakoda: 12:38am On Feb 03, 2015
jethro2:

Those are valid points. Nigeria dont have good government policies but individuals can buckle up to make some difference
How can I speak to you?
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by nigerfine: 2:37am On Feb 04, 2015
farmrich:
Kenyan agric success is as a result of individuals and favorable govt policies. About greenhouse construction, many Kenyans who can't afford amiram kits construct it themselves because the materials are readily available with bamboo poles. All the greenhouses I've seen are to make the temperatures a bit warmer, hopefully this week I'll visit one in an area similar to temps like ours or visit one in Nairobi now that the weather is hotter(around 27 degrees ) to see ho
w they aerate it.
please i need to talk to you.....more expecially before you leave kenya.i can't place my no here .please reach me at.....keles1003@yahoo.com thanks.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 5:38am On Feb 04, 2015
omonnakoda:
How can I speak to you?

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by omonnakoda: 5:39am On Feb 04, 2015
jethro2:

Ok will be in touch
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 10:04pm On Feb 05, 2015
Sorry for the break in transmission. Work has been tedious at the YOP1 farm project. The labourers are not enough so we all turn labourers. Its indeed a practical learning experience
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 10:19pm On Feb 05, 2015
The Standard Market
Shoprite, Spars, Hotel and Restaurant etc fall into this category of market.
Characteristic of Standard Market.
1. It demands quality
2. There is usually a contractual agreement which binds the buyers and sellers.
3. It pays premium price
My foray into researching standard markets was born out of the needs to overcome the glut season in vegetables.
I came across a group, Agricultural Fresh Growers Producers and Exporters Association of Nigeria. (AFGEAN)
Through them i got to know that there is huge demand for fresh fruits and vegetables within and outside Nigeria.
Imagine this: There is a cargo plane that comes to Nigeria from Europe 5 days in a week. The plane needs to be filled up with fresh fruits and vegetables or attimes cut flowers on its return flight.
Sadly enough, Nigeria farmers/exporters has nothing to export. The management therefore source fresh produce from neighbouring African countries like Kenya, Ghana while the plane takes off from Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 10:25pm On Feb 05, 2015
Fruits and vegetables are daily imported into Nigeria from South Africa.
A south African farmer came into Nigeria, got land and was producing tomatoes to supply an outlet of shoprite in Ibadan.
Yes. This is happening in Nigeria.
The question is:
Why did my so called standard shops prefered importing vegetables or prefer to buy produce from a foreigner?
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 10:29pm On Feb 05, 2015
Most standard shops and outlet are concerned with:
1. Quality
2. Consistency
3. Good Agricultural Practise etc
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 10:39pm On Feb 05, 2015
1. QUALITY PRODUCT
Due to increase in health challenges, consumers are now concerned about the source and the composition of what they eat.
The source,
The name
The quality
The appearance
The durability
are few of the parameters that consumers watch out for when deciding whether to buy or not.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by shinaboy: 10:50pm On Feb 05, 2015
How does one produce high quality tomatoes.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 6:49am On Feb 06, 2015
shinaboy:
How does one produce high quality tomatoes.
Producing high quality tomatoes is a result of good agricultural practises which starts from:
1. Type of seed
2. Nursery preparation and maintenance
3. Fertilizer Application and methods
4. Pest and disease control
5. Water management
Just to mention few
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 6:54am On Feb 06, 2015
I met the South African Farmer when he was still negotiating with shoprite.
He said N400 per kilo is okay with him. But of they give him N500 he won't refuse.
The Quality and size of the tomatoes he was producing was good.
He supplies 200 kilo per week to shoprite.
He puts in place a lot of things to be able to meet achieve this
1. His seed are of good quality, high breed
2. The farms is an irrigated farm which enables him to meet demand.
3. The farms are planted in stages one after the other so the harvesting can be in batches
4. Apart from protecting the tomatoes from pest and diseases, the surrounding bushes were also taken care of
5. Weeding and other farm maintenance were duly taken care as at when appropriate.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by benzion72(m): 1:11pm On Feb 06, 2015
Where can I get tomato seeds in Ibadan
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Pavore9: 2:50pm On Feb 06, 2015
@jethro2, so the South african has "chanced" you who is an "omo nile" and now collecting the N400/kg you should be collecting?
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 9:02pm On Feb 06, 2015
Pavore9:
@jethro2, so the South african has "chanced" you who is an "omo nile" and now collecting the N400/kg you should be collecting?
@Pavore. That it is my brother. But the market is there for every one to tap from. The demand for quality produce at some quarters is high
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Pavore9: 9:39pm On Feb 06, 2015
jethro2:

@Pavore. That it is my brother. But the market is there for every one to tap from. The demand for quality produce at some quarters is high
But l must confess tomato is rather expensive in Nigeria.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 6:47am On Feb 07, 2015
Pavore9:
But l must confess tomato is rather expensive in Nigeria.
Yes. Quality ones are expensive because its scarce
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Juliana7: 6:13pm On Feb 08, 2015
This thread is awesome. Wow! A lot of first practical been dish out for free.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (39) (Reply)

Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* / Updated Price Of Grains And Location.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.