Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,350 members, 7,881,296 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 04:04 PM

Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures - Agriculture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures (215703 Views)

Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria / Green House Tomato Production / Cassava Production And Processed Products Made From Cassava (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by farmrich: 5:27pm On Feb 10, 2015
Sorry mchuxx and nigerfine. I'm really busy because I'm leaving next week. Tell me what you need and hopefully I can squeeze out some time to attend to your business
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by juman(m): 6:04pm On Feb 11, 2015
We don't have good governments at all levels that are really interested in agric.

The country can get more money from agriculture than from crude oil.

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by mchuxx(m): 5:57am On Feb 12, 2015
farmrich:
Sorry mchuxx and nigerfine. I'm really busy because I'm leaving next week. Tell me what you need and hopefully I can squeeze out some time to attend to your business
Please could u help me buy Anna F1 tomato seeds from Monsanto? chuxx22@yahoo.ca
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by nigerfine: 8:51am On Feb 12, 2015
@farm rich
I wanted to discuss training of greenhouse and modalities.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by mfm04622: 1:44pm On Feb 12, 2015
Jethro, What are the reason you wanted to break into Mile 12 market? Is the price of the tomatoes different from the market you set up with the help of your step mum?
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Adex001(m): 5:22pm On Feb 12, 2015
OMG! Can't believe I read this thread from page 1 to this point. I am highly disappointed. How could a lady do this while my procrastination has robbed me of about one and a half years. All I could say is ride on.. Though am a lazy farmer who grow crops by procrastinating but you might not know what motivation you just gave me. In my heart, I grew tomato, cassava, pepper and okro, but to start it up is a very big challenge.

I think my mind is made up now. By the fall of this week to next week, would start buying the farming tools and start doing something.

@Jethro2.. Keep it up..

3 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 7:06pm On Feb 12, 2015
mfm04622:
Jethro, What are the reason you wanted to break into Mile 12 market? Is the price of the tomatoes different from the market you set up with the help of your step mum?
The side market buys in smaller quantity. Most times they are not true to their words. They tends to short change you once your goods get to them.
Mile 12 is a major market for bulk vegetables. Trailers load of tomatoes daily come in from the North. Most Lagosians believe untill you get to Mile 12 before it can be cheap
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 7:09pm On Feb 12, 2015
Adex001:
OMG! Can't believe I read this thread from page 1 to this point. I am highly disappointed. How could a lady do this while my procrastination has robbed me of about one and a half years. All I could say is ride on.. Though am a lazy farmer who grow crops by procrastinating but you might not know what motivation you just gave me. In my heart, I grew tomato, cassava, pepper and okro, but to start it up is a very big challenge.
I think my mind is made up now. By the fall of this week to next week, would start buying the farming tools and start doing something.
@Jethro2.. Keep it up..
I am glad this challenge you. There are abound great opportunity in agriculture sector. Welcome on board sir
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by emman44(m): 7:10pm On Feb 12, 2015
Arces of land for sell at Abeokuta at a cheaper price pls call mr taiwo on 07066474055
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jimbod19: 3:15pm On Feb 14, 2015
farmrich:
pls render me ur email ad.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 9:17am On Feb 15, 2015
Still on the Standard Vegetable Market
I discovered vegetables are daily imported into Nigeria from other African countries
I took my time to know why.
" We dont get quality"
" The supply is not consistence"
" The vegetables are too expensive"
These are some of the responses from some of the end users.
I requested for the quality and standard that a farmer needs to produce for the buyers.
What I was told was
"health of individuals and community can not be separated from the health of the ecosystem. Healthy soils produce healthy crops that foster the health of animals and people"

3 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 11:46am On Feb 15, 2015
Quality Tomatoes starts from good seed. We have registered seed producers companies in Nigeria that produces nothing.
Nihort ( National Horticultural Research Institute ) a government funded with several staff on its pay roll does not always have seed. They refer you to some private companies that are importing.
IAR&T, another supposed research's institute buys from somewhere to sell on demand.
The tomato seed i got from them was the same products that the rural farm has been extracting for years.
Meanwhile standard market demands quality
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 11:57am On Feb 15, 2015
In my search, I met Agritropic. They are the sole importers of Technisem product of vegetables. They have been a great blessing to farmers.
I also came across IFDC International Fertilizer Development Centre. Its a non governmental organization with the aim to improve farmers life through sustainable agriculture.
IFDC introduce me to East West International Seed which we use for demonstration plot.
I took some tomato samples to my standard market contact and it was approved.
However they need assurance that i can supply throughout the year.
Hmmnnnnn.
Big wahala. You can guess my dilemma

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 12:05pm On Feb 15, 2015
Consistence Supply.
One of the main requirements for the standard market.
The market already have their customers. Most actually import from some African countries. They have assurance of continuous supply throughout the year.
Offcourse I couldn't guarantee consistence supply throughout
Like i earlier said, standard market buys in kilogramms and made request every week or twice in a week.
To meet this demand it means one must be planting 2 to 3 weeks interval.
Hmnnnnn.
That is serious work.
Vegetables are delicate. How do one manage that?
Where do you get such labourers?
What happens during the dry season?
All this and more are the questions that keeps popping up.
Indeed its a standard market
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 12:13pm On Feb 15, 2015
The vegetables produced in Nigeria are too expensive.
What do one expect.
Considering all the obstacles earlier mentioned. The out put will definitely be on the high side.
Despite the fact that the quality of our vegetables are not up to standard, it still comes at high prices compared to the imported ones.
Quite some points that needs to be attended to.
The big question is " How do one solve this issues"
" Is it possible to overcome all the obstacles"
" Or do one just restrict himself/herself to the open market?
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 12:24pm On Feb 15, 2015
I have also been fortunate to be linked with some European Organisation whose interest is into training farmers to produce quality fruits and vegetables so as to penetrate the export market.
But one of their main concerns is that our domestic vegetable market has a lot of vacuums that is yet to be filled.
Fruits and vegetables are daily imported into the Nigeria. What we produce is nothing to write about both in quality and quantity
Our fruits and vegetables are in high demands both within and outside the country. But quality can not be compromise
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jimbod19: 12:41pm On Feb 15, 2015
jimbod19:
pls render me ur email ad.
or here is mine - jimbod1919@gmail.com. Pls, I need to make in-person contact with u abt greenhouse.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jimbod19: 12:48pm On Feb 15, 2015
farmrich:
[quote author=jimbod19 post=30726765] pls render me ur email ad or here is mine - jimbod1919@gmail.com. Pls, I need to make in-person contact with u abt greenhouse.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jimbod19: 1:58pm On Feb 15, 2015
farmrich:
pls send me a mail or render me urs, my email ad., jimbod1919@gmail.com, I wish to discuss local green house with u in person.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by nigerfine: 3:22am On Feb 16, 2015
@jimbod
i will send you a mail . Thanks
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by boluwajokosegun: 12:46pm On Feb 17, 2015
Are you looking for land close to lagos for farming ?

Good new we have acres of land for sale in ofada owode axis opposite the redeem christian church camp in Obafemi owode LGA of ogun state.
The lands are in same axis where a new private university is building right now. Very good for farming & good for hostels in future.
If interested call Gbenga on 08136550972 or 08182355047/whatApp.
Minimum purschase is 2 acres.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Mars88(m): 3:15pm On Feb 17, 2015
choiceman:
@pavore9, you are right. I have spoken with some farmers in kenya and they are surprise why it is that expensive in Nigeria considering we are giant of Africa. Dont worry my brother, by the time we lay our hands on this UV film/screen and other greenhouse materials they will be surprised because i con confidently tell you that I can construct the greenhouse( High Tunnel) perfectly.

I am looking for an agric marketer that visits china or Turkey often we can beg them to import those things for us cheaply then we will surprise Diezengoff. I imported sweetbaby water melon and beafsteak Tomato from germany expecting them Tomorrow.
oga mi once you think you are ripe enough to teach a total learner how to construct this wonder, please let me know
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 10:49am On Feb 18, 2015
If your target is to make money in the open market for tomato in the south west, the time to start is now.
Tomato takes 2 to 3 months depending on the variety. One needs to starts the nursery from now till next month.
The seed stays in the nursery 3weeks. The time is now to start nursery.
Dont forget to source good seeds. Hybrid preferably.
Things needed for your nursery
1. Seed
2. Manure inform of poultry waste
3. Nursery bed or seed tray
4 Constant source of water
5. Dedication and consistency

4 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 12:25pm On Feb 18, 2015
Please start small to minimise loss. Subsequently one can expand. Practical farming is different from online farming.
The bed needs to be properly prepared using
a. Poultry waste
b. Rice bran or shaft or
c. Saw dust
Tomatoes are planted in the evening when the sun has gone down.
The nursery needs water every morning and evening.
In the morning before sun rise and in the evening after sunset
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Queendo(f): 4:11pm On Feb 18, 2015
God bless u for d info

jethro2:
Please start small to minimise loss. Subsequently one can expand. Practical farming is different from online farming.
The bed needs to be properly prepared using
a. Poultry waste
b. Rice bran or shaft or
c. Saw dust
Tomatoes are planted in the evening when the sun has gone down.
The nursery needs water every morning and evening.
In the morning before sun rise and in the evening after sunset
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by waka2: 9:55pm On Feb 18, 2015
@jethro,how many time must i plough the ground,how many time a week must i wet my tomatos and how many time for weeding b4 harvesting started.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 10:40pm On Feb 18, 2015
Queendo:
God bless u for d info
And you too my sister
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 10:48pm On Feb 18, 2015
waka2:
@jethro,how many time must i plough the ground,
Do one ploughing, one harrowing and one ridging.
waka2:
,how many time a week must i wet my tomatos.
The more you wet the bigger your tomatoes. You are advised to wet everyday. On the nursery morning and night for 21days in the field every evening
waka2:
how many time for weeding b4 harvesting started
Weeding times depend on the type of grass in your area. It could be 3 to 4 times or could be more.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by waka2: 7:42am On Feb 19, 2015
oga jethro,thank you.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Adex001(m): 7:58pm On Feb 19, 2015
@Jethro2. Thanks so much for your help always. I have prepared my land tao plant the tomatoes.. Am having difficulties getting the seeds for nursery..... Any help towards that..? Am no more scared of failing... Thanks in anticipation..
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 9:14pm On Feb 19, 2015
waka2:
oga jethro,thank you.
Its my pleasure sir
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 9:21pm On Feb 19, 2015
Adex001:
@Jethro2. Thanks so much for your help always. I have prepared my land tao plant the tomatoes.. Am having difficulties getting the seeds for nursery..... Any help towards that..? Am no more scared of failing... Thanks in anticipation..
Technisem seed is available in Ibadan. Please discuss with Soloxam

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (39) (Reply)

Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* / Updated Price Of Grains And Location.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.