Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,759 members, 7,875,915 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 01:43 AM

Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures - Agriculture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures (215561 Views)

Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria / Green House Tomato Production / Cassava Production And Processed Products Made From Cassava (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by innovationafrik: 12:44pm On Jan 26, 2015
Great information about Tomato.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by innovationafrik: 1:00pm On Jan 26, 2015
please see how to build a cheap greenhouse, open the link below

https://www.nairaland.com/2114186/how-set-up-cheap-greenhouse
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jan 26, 2015
This thread is hereby renamed 'inspired thread'
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jan 26, 2015
choiceman:
Land in those areas are relatively cheap, ranges from say 200k/ plot to 400k by 6. I don't buy land for people o, omoniles they craze especially if you leave the land fallow. @pavore, I don't know if you can get it in Nigeria but I couldnt find any since NOV. 2014. I called friends in Zaria,still didn't get any.

Guy, i want to be like you when i grow up.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jan 26, 2015
choiceman:
Kalusam, please how much is the plastic mulch? And where can I get it? I am in Ikorodu, that is where I reside.

you have been on nairaland and have not asked the right ppl. Please, henceforth, ask any question on qny of ur input and compare prices b4 you try to import. If you have been folowing jasper's cocumber thread, you will see mulching film and how he uses it. some of the seeds coys have reps here in nigeria. Solxam works wit agritopic a seed coy, ask him for any seed variety you need b4 you conclude we dont have it in naija. apart from his company, there is also eastern western seeds.

Please, make sure you open a thread on ur test farm . we will like to benefit from you .

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jan 26, 2015
@jethro, u still have 2questions pending
no 1- how did u solve problem of baskets
no 2- how do u treat soil dt u suspect wont be good?

@choiceman, i forgot to tell u to ask jasper where to get cocopeat.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by choiceman(m): 3:26pm On Jan 26, 2015
@Kalusam, i thank you for the input. I may have approached the wrong people for seeds but at the same time, i had limited time that was why i decided to import. Like i told you, i always run a pilot project before embarking on large scale, so the cost of seeds wasn't an issue to me, TIME was the main issue. Now, @kalusal and Soloxam, where can i get seeds in Lagos? How much is the weed barrier and how can i get it ASAP(Plastic Mulch). Please tell me now before I import o. Laugh!!!! (but i am serious).

I work in office 7am to 6pm everyday, the windows i have are Sat/Sun plus Public holidays, I work like donkey on these days with the help of my beautiful wife, very hard working. You can see reason why i cannot wait for so long for these farm inputs. Dry season farming is more profitable and we have very short window especially in Lagos that you cannot determine when the rainy season starts.E.g, I have been making money from Ewedu(Corchorous Olitorius) since December, I sell a bed of 3 feet by 7 feet 1,200 Naira minimum thank God for people that supply the seeds from Abeokuta we wouldnt have been able to get it easily. During rainy season the bed goes for as low as 300 Naira max, 500 and i have like 160 beds( free money) a paint rubber of the seed cost 4,500 anyways but we still churn out high profit. You can see the difference in dry season farming compared to rainy season.

PLEASE PARDON ME FOR MENTIONING EWEDU AS WE ARE DISCUSSING TOMATO. Didn't mean to deviate from our discussion,I just used it to drive home a point. House forgive me please.

Time na money my brother.

5 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Pavore9: 3:44pm On Jan 26, 2015
@choiceman, am glad over your wife's interest as it makes the work easier. see u busy making silent money from ewedu! We also have ewedu here in Kenya and they call it murenda. They add milk to it when preparing it, please don't ask me how!

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Ufeolorun(m): 4:39pm On Jan 26, 2015
choiceman:
@Kalusam, i thank you for the input. I may have approached the wrong people for seeds but at the same time, i had limited time that was why i decided to import. Like i told you, i always run a pilot project before embarking on large scale, so the cost of seeds wasn't an issue to me, TIME was the main issue. Now, @kalusal and Soloxam, where can i get seeds in Lagos? How much is the weed barrier and how can i get it ASAP(Plastic Mulch). Please tell me now before I import o. Laugh!!!! (but i am serious).

I work in office 7am to 6pm everyday, the windows i have are Sat/Sun plus Public holidays, I work like donkey on these days with the help of my beautiful wife, very hard working. You can see reason why i cannot wait for so long for these farm inputs. Dry season farming is more profitable and we have very short window especially in Lagos that you cannot determine when the rainy season starts.E.g, I have been making money from Ewedu(Corchorous Olitorius) since December, I sell a bed of 3 feet by 7 feet 1,200 Naira minimum thank God for people that supply the seeds from Abeokuta we wouldnt have been able to get it easily. During rainy season the bed goes for as low as 300 Naira max, 500 and i have like 160 beds( free money) a paint rubber of the seed cost 4,500 anyways but we still churn out high profit. You can see the difference in dry season farming compared to rainy season.

PLEASE PARDON ME FOR MENTIONING EWEDU AS WE ARE DISCUSSING TOMATO. Didn't mean to deviate from our discussion,I just used it to drive home a point. House forgive me please.

Choiceman,

How big is your farm and how do you secure the parameters ?

Thanks.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Kalusam(m): 6:09pm On Jan 26, 2015
Choiceman, the plastic mulch goes for N3000 per roll(1.2m x 100m) in the factory at Onitsha. Asked Jasper7 and he says this can last for 3 - 4 months. You can pre-order from China or Thailand: Landing cost at about N25k per roll (1.4m x 400m) or from benin republic: N30k (2m x 300m)...made in Israel, sold around Porto Novo. The foreign ones *pictures attached acts as pest repplent(silver side) and weed control(dark side)
choiceman:
Kalusam, please how much is the plastic mulch? And where can I get it? I am in Ikorodu, that is where I reside.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by choiceman(m): 8:51pm On Jan 26, 2015
@ ufeolorun,Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Let me say for the proposed tomato farm, I have 1 and half plot, that should take of 3 greenhouses of dimension 240m2. For my poultry I have to pen 30feet by 100feet, I have two of that but at the moment I am using one with 2000 birds. Don't want to go above my means but 2 pens should take 4K birds conveniently. As per security, I have purchased 4 rolls of gauze wire popularly known as barbed wire, each is of 60feet length that I planned to secure the tomato farm with but the poultry is sited at Odongunyan farm settlement at Ikorodu, initially left everything in the hands of God(f olorun shole) but thieves almost killed my dreams so I employed vigilante called Onyabo in Ikorodu their fees is reasonable sha, like 15k per month. Their is the adage that says person wey wan chop well most lock door well, those guys can send someone back to square one if you are not prepared for them.

3 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Liferace: 9:29pm On Jan 26, 2015
Choiceman,are you buying green house from Dizengoff or building one from scratch?.I'll like to visit your farm if permitted to learn as am trying to set up one.I also see you have marketing skills which am dying to tap from you wink.

Jethro,please i see in one of your pictures you use the film.Are you using it in the green house or open field ?.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by choiceman(m): 9:47pm On Jan 26, 2015
@liferace, I will buy greenhouse from dizengoff, the actual cost is about 1.1m, installation and other materials will make it about 1.6m, I have the quotation from them but thank God for this thread, I will first of all go by Jethro's way,i.e open field tomato farming between now and April. I am just waiting for January salary to raise funds for land preparation as irrigation. We shall overcome insha Allah.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Soloxam(m): 10:07pm On Jan 26, 2015
choiceman:

As for the seed I can send it to you in lagos when you are ready.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 10:11pm On Jan 26, 2015
stint:

Oga mi Am just a learner o. Throwing in suggestions. Please how much seed is needed for an acre.
Can you make a summary of the basic steps to take in planting tomato.
E.g
1. Acquire land
2. Create a nursery
3 make ridges/ apply fungicides etc
4 Transplant to the open field
5 Manure
6 market
7 Harvest
8 sell
It will help create a mental map of everything . This will enable identify the parts we teally dont know enough about yet
An hectare requires between 150 -250g of tomato seed.
The land need to be treated to prevent any infestation from previously planted crop and sometimes to restore the soil fertility
( I just learned this from Jasper during the YOP1 project.
Nursery making entails a lot.
One can use nursery tray or make the nursery in a local way. I use the local method.
Marketing is an important issue. Its always targeted. Your planting must be tailored to meet the season.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 10:18pm On Jan 26, 2015
mercylicious:
@jethro, u still have 2questions pending
no 1- how did u solve problem of baskets
no 2- how do u treat soil dt u suspect wont be good?

@choiceman, i forgot to tell u to ask jasper where to get cocopeat.
Question 1
I later discovered basket are sold in Mile 12 at N3,000 for 30 in a roll. Each trip to market i bring back several rolls.
My village basket weavers were making at N300 per 1
Question 2
Part of what i just learnt is to treat with poultry waste, rice bran/shaft, and others.
Training on soil treatment continues at YOP1
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 10:20pm On Jan 26, 2015
choiceman:

Some valuable points. Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Ufeolorun(m): 10:21pm On Jan 26, 2015
choiceman:
@ ufeolorun,Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Let me say for the proposed tomato farm, I have 1 and half plot, that should take of 3 greenhouses of dimension 240m2. For my poultry I have to pen 30feet by 100feet, I have two of that but at the moment I am using one with 2000 birds. Don't want to go above my means but 2 pens should take 4K birds conveniently. As per security, I have purchased 4 rolls of gauze wire popularly known as barbed wire, each is of 60feet
length that I planned to secure the tomato farm with but the poultry is sited at Odongunyan farm settlement at Ikorodu, initially left everything in the hands of God(f olorun shole) but thieves almost killed my dreams so I employed vigilante called Onyabo in Ikorodu their fees is reasonable sha, like 15k per month. Their is the adage that says person wey wan chop well most lock door well, those guys can send someone back to square one if you are not prepared for them.

Brilliant, cheers for the details. Are the vigilante on 247 and would mounted dummy camera scare people of?
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 10:23pm On Jan 26, 2015
Pavore9:
@choiceman, am glad over your wife's interest as it makes the work easier. see u busy making silent money from ewedu! We also have ewedu here in Kenya and they call it murenda. They add milk to it when preparing it, please don't ask me how!
Ewedu has always been a money spinner during dry season. My first experience in planting vegetables was ewedu. I still have some seed left. Still planning to get back to it at some Point in time

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 10:25pm On Jan 26, 2015
Liferace:
Choiceman,are you buying green house from Dizengoff or building one from scratch?.I'll like to visit your farm if permitted to learn as am trying to set up one.I also see you have marketing skills which am dying to tap from you wink.

Jethro,please i see in one of your pictures you use the film.Are you using it in the green house or open field ?.
I am using it the mulching film for open field
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 10:30pm On Jan 26, 2015
choiceman:
@liferace, I will buy greenhouse from dizengoff, the actual cost is about 1.1m, installation and other materials will make it about 1.6m, I have the quotation from them but thank God for this thread, I will first of all go by Jethro's way,i.e open field tomato farming between now and April. I am just waiting for January salary to raise funds for land preparation as irrigation. We shall overcome insha Allah.
Na soooo my brother. If I have N1.6m for dry season irrigation for tomatoes means i will be tripling that amount by the end of the season. So why would I go for Dizengolf green house? Preferably i will source for raw materials like bamboos to construct my own green house at an affordable expenses

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by choiceman(m): 10:41pm On Jan 26, 2015
Ufeolorun, camera will not work my brother, it can only be relevant in a civilized society where people will want protect names. The thief caught in my pen was very close to me in fact we pray together in the same mosque. The security resumes 6pm and closes 6am, my wife stays between 7am and 5pm.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by stint(m): 11:00pm On Jan 26, 2015
jethro2:

Question 1
I later discovered basket are sold in Mile 12 at N3,000 for 30 in a roll. Each trip to market i bring back several rolls.
My village basket weavers were making at N300 per 1
Question 2
Part of what i just learnt is to treat with poultry waste, rice bran/shaft, and others.
Training on soil treatment continues at YOP1
Please what is this YOP 1 about?
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 11:33pm On Jan 26, 2015
stint:

Please what is this YOP 1 about?
YABDI Ogbomosho Project 1
There is currently a cucumber joint project for the group.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Austin234(m): 3:55am On Jan 27, 2015
jethro2:

Na soooo my brother. If I have N1.6m for dry season irrigation for tomatoes means i will be tripling that amount by the end of the season. So why would I go for Dizengolf green house? Preferably i will source for raw materials like bamboos to construct my own green house at an affordable expenses

What is this greenhouse all about?
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by lanre2009: 8:56am On Jan 27, 2015
Hi, Please i would like to know if anyone here is into the planting of this vegetable, the name is cauliflower and i would love to learn its cultivation. Thanks

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by bawelat: 10:33am On Jan 27, 2015
@choiceman
, I have been
making money from Ewedu
(Corchorous Olitorius) since
December, I sell a bed of 3
feet by 7 feet 1,200 Naira
minimum thank God for
people that supply the seeds
from Abeokuta we wouldnt
have been able to get it
easily.Pls concerning the above can i come and see your farm at odogunyan i stay @ lurcky fibre in ikd and is it too late for dry season ewedu pls
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by choiceman(m): 2:25pm On Jan 27, 2015
@Bawelat, No wahala, I am there Saturday/Sundays only. I can link you up with wife, she goes to the farm daily. She is even a better teacher than me. Wish you best of luck in your pursuit. You can reach me on olawaleprat@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 5:44pm On Jan 27, 2015
Austin234:

What is this greenhouse all about?
Green house are use for planting vegetables. Its a control or regulated environment to reduce or prevent some factors. Please consult google to get more pictures
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 6:12pm On Jan 27, 2015
BACK TO MY STORY
I was sort of hopeful for the second trip since
1. I have sorted the tomatoes into sizes
2. I took my time to select the good ones.
3. My basket was of the same size through
So i headed for Lagos, same woman.
Since i already envisage the price for each basket at minimum N1000 each, What i did was to handle the tomatoes over to the woman and turned back to farm.
I was still on the road when her call came in to tell me the buyers insisted N700.
I told her no. She said i should speak with the woman on the phone. I said No
I told her not to sell less than a thousand naira.
I would rather loss all the tomatoes than allow them extort me the second time.
I was that determined.
I don't expect any complained after all the stress of sorting and all
And i off the phone.
(Meanwhile before the second trip, she was constantly asking for when i will bring tomatoes again. That a lot of people are expecting)
I didn't hear from her again until evening.
The tomatoes has been sold.
Yes sold.....
No single one remaining.

5 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by omonnakoda: 6:21pm On Jan 27, 2015
jethro2:
BACK TO MY STORY
I was sort of hopeful for the second trip since
1. I have sorted the tomatoes into sizes
2. I took my time to select the good ones.
3. My basket was of the same size through
So i headed for Lagos, same woman.
Since i already envisage the price for each basket at minimum N1000 each, What i did was to handle the tomatoes over to the woman and turned back to farm.
I was still on the road when her call came in to tell me the buyers insisted N700.
I told her no. She said i should speak with the woman on the phone. I said No
I told her not to sell less than a thousand naira.
I would rather loss all the tomatoes than allow them extort me the second time.
I was that determined.
I don't expect any complained after all the stress of sorting and all
And i off the phone.
(Meanwhile before the second trip, she was constantly asking for when i will bring tomatoes again. That a lot of people are expecting)
I didn't hear from her again until evening.
The tomatoes has been sold.
Yes sold.....
No single one remaining.
What is the weight of his basket
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 6:25pm On Jan 27, 2015
It was then it dawn on me that "oh girl" you ve got to step up your marketing.
You are not yet there.
Don't forget that all this while my tomatoes are already bidding me farewell.
I went back to Lagos again to visit the market. All this while i have not deem it fit as every one keeps telling me there are cabals.
Some of the market i visited are Agbara market, Pampaida market, Ile epo market, Arigbagbuwo market, Ifo market. Just few of them.
Most of the market have unions, Iyalojas etc.
Most have a specific person that is in charge. Funny enough, he or she does not even sell that specific commodities
At Ifo, the woman said i cant bring it to the market but she will be coming to pick it from me in the farm.
I said yes ma and
I smiled within.
It was not an easy experience.
Some market women that i offered to sell directly said they cant buy from anywhere else unless they get to their usual market.
The more rejection i get the more determined i am to get and create my own market

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (39) (Reply)

Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* / Updated Price Of Grains And Location.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.