Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,873 members, 7,872,889 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 02:27 AM

"I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." (4388 Views)

My Uncles 2nd Wife Is Still A Virgin @ 41 / Mum Still Thinks I'm A Virgin / A Sad Story Of A Virgin Married Woman - Ladies Learn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

"I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by Nobody: 10:18pm On Feb 11, 2015
This is a statement a female made on twitter when a guy was virgin shaming her. I am totally against virgin shaming but I thought her statement was absolutely ridiculous.

A male friend of mine actually agreed with it. His argument was, in a Nigerian setting, the standard is virginity and anyone that falls below that standard is classless. As classiness is judged on the standard the society creates.

Below is an excerpt from our conversation, so u can get a feel of what he's saying:

Most people (Nigerians) are Christians or Muslims. They are supposed to stay virgins. If they are virgin, it's a sign of discipline and some form of eliteness. "I'm not one of them." It's like choosing to not be crass and use a curse word, or choosing to not fornicate. You can think "I won't debase myself to curse" or "I won't debase myself to fornicate". Virgins have a right to be proud in their "different status" which comes from being more serious and disciplined.

I agree with you. it is problematic to maintain this standard for only women. And there in I agree with you: society is partial and discriminatory in judging the violation, the way they can be with whites and blacks. But that's not enough reason to say the standard isn't right or logically consistent. The point remains that they uphold/expect a standard of Muslim/Christian intersection; and being a non-virgin makes you non-classy. What you should be arguing now is "men who are non-virgins are ALSO non-classy".
Yes, the virginity expectation has been used to oppress women but hell, everything has been used to oppress women - name change, shaving, dressing, education. From important things to non-important things. But we don't go about saying we want to scrap the obviously, generally accepted standards. What we go about saying is that women should not be worse off for breaking the rules and violating the standards of the society than men. They shouldn't be judged worse. Simple!

I just wanted to know what y'all think (especially women). Do you find the statement offensive? Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?
Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by MizMyColi(f): 10:43pm On Feb 11, 2015
Lol
Self Aggrandizement & Delusion, apparently.

*modified*
Here's the reason for my assertion:-

finofaya:
I only have non penetrative sex, therefore I'm classy. I never go beyond kissing, therefore I'm classy. I reject physical intimacy, therefore I'm classy. I have sex once a week, therefore I'm classy. I never have sex for more than 10 minutes, therefore I'm classy. I'm a nymphomaniac, therefore I'm classy. I'm asexual, therefore I'm classy.

What has people's sexual behaviour to do with class?

Finally This!

crackhaus:

Lol...

I also noticed that ladies who verbally refer to themselves as classy may not really be, it's the ones who exude it or have a certain aura about them (character, personality, style, and sophistication) that get referred to as classy by other people.

So Yes.
In my opinion, she sounds rather discriminatory, self aggrandized and deluded smiley

2 Likes

Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by tpiah99: 10:47pm On Feb 11, 2015
not another virgin thread.

2 Likes

Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by SirShymexx: 11:42pm On Feb 11, 2015
Shollypumpum, I see you're back with ya insecurities. Bring ya ar.se in here, big head.

I somewhat agree with those who associate class with virginity, from a moral standpoint. I believe Nigeria thrives on conservatism on the surface, due to how religious the society is - so ya male friend is right on the money with his argument. Though, "class" in a space by itself can be subjective depending on the society.

Anyway, leave virgins alone...they're the pride of womanhood. grin

2 Likes

Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by Nobody: 1:09am On Feb 12, 2015
Why do I think this is gonna be interesting? undecided
Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by TV01(m): 1:23am On Feb 12, 2015
Shollypopzz:
What are your thoughts?
I think one has to be a total slut to try and shame a virgin.
Although being one does not necessarily make you classy, it can certainly help.

Come, is this the piss-artiste formerly known as BananaBender? And if it is, have you recovered?

TV

2 Likes

Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by Nobody: 3:53am On Feb 12, 2015
Wait until morning tongue
Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by urchbarbie(f): 3:56am On Feb 12, 2015
Make I ff!
Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by Nobody: 6:28am On Feb 12, 2015
Girl, where have you been? I was quite disappointed you disappeared so suddenly without saying goodbye. Good to have you back.

1 Like

Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by Nobody: 6:29am On Feb 12, 2015
TV01:

I think one has to be a total slut to try and shame a virgin.
Although being one does not necessarily make you classy, it can certainly help.

TV

I agree. smiley
Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by zeezahbee(f): 6:34am On Feb 12, 2015
Being classy doesnt have anything to do with virginity

Being a Classy Woman Means Having Broad Formal and “Real Life” Education, Wit, and Sense of Humor
Being A Classy Woman Means Having Feminine Demeanor and Manners
A Classy Woman Knows that Success is More Attractive when Coupled with Modesty and Humbleness
A Classy Woman Understands When Showing Pride Is Appropriate

p.s so you can be a virgin and also be a biitch cheesy

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by slimyem: 6:57am On Feb 12, 2015
shocked shocked Shollypopzz?

A guy shamed a virgin? That's news. I wouldn't have been surprised if it was a girl who did.
Virginity is not class. That's a moronic definition for class.

4 Likes

Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by babygirlfl: 7:39am On Feb 12, 2015
Welcome back shollypopzz

@ topic, Being a virgin is something to be proud of. However, virginity and class are two different things.

2 Likes

Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by Nobody: 8:36am On Feb 12, 2015
Shollypopzz:
This is a statement a female made on twitter when a guy was virgin shaming her. I am totally against virgin shaming but I thought her statement was absolutely ridiculous.
A male friend of mine actually agreed with it. His argument was,[b] in a Nigerian setting, the standard is virginity [/b]and anyone that falls below that standard is classless. As classiness is judged on the standard the society creates.

Maybe in precolonial era but not in recent times.
Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by Nobody: 9:19am On Feb 12, 2015
Virginity is not class
Class is not virginity

Both very good, but both 2 different things.

2 Likes

Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by cococandy(f): 9:28am On Feb 12, 2015
I guess the question is answered then

1 Like

Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by Ewuro4: 9:47am On Feb 12, 2015
Classy: stylish and sophisticated. QED

Classiness and Virginity are completely two different things.

No
Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by Nobody: 9:59am On Feb 12, 2015
Virginity is not class. It defines little about a person. Neglected sex organs and personal/spiritual choices (regarding sex) should not alone create 'class'. People must have sex for society to progress. A class society that centres itself around its virgins must have nothing better to do imo.

3 Likes

Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by BuddhaPalm(m): 10:52am On Feb 12, 2015
I agree with you. it is problematic to maintain this standard for only women. And there in I agree with you: society is partial and discriminatory in judging the violation, the way they can be with whites and blacks. But that's not enough reason to say the standard isn't right or logically consistent. The point remains that they uphold/expect a standard of Muslim/Christian intersection; and being a non-virgin makes you non-classy. What you should be arguing now is "men who are non-virgins are ALSO non-classy".
Yes, the virginity expectation has been used to oppress women but hell, everything has been used to oppress women - name change, shaving, dressing, education. From important things to non-important things. But we don't go about saying we want to scrap the obviously, generally accepted standards. What we go about saying is that women should not be worse off for breaking the rules and violating the standards of the society than men. They shouldn't be judged worse. Simple!

Somebody please kill me now.

Mercy killing.

I read this twice and still couldn't comprehend.
Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by crackhaus: 11:14am On Feb 12, 2015
zeezahbee:
Being classy doesnt have anything to do with virginity

Being a Classy Woman Means Having Broad Formal and “Real Life” Education, Wit, and Sense of Humor
Being A Classy Woman Means Having Feminine Demeanor and Manners
A Classy Woman Knows that Success is More Attractive when Coupled with Modesty and Humbleness
A Classy Woman Understands When Showing Pride Is Appropriate

p.s so you can be a virgin and also be a biitch cheesy
Next time, attach the link where you got your definitions from wink

1 Like

Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by Nobody: 11:17am On Feb 12, 2015
BuddhaPalm:

Mercy killing.

That's somebody's friend, behave grin
Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by crackhaus: 11:23am On Feb 12, 2015
Being classy is an illusion created by women to make themselves appear better than other women.

I don't know what virginity has to do with having class, but if we were to set the parameters for classiness to be within the context of morality, then a virgin has more class than a non-virgin with reference only to sexual morality.

4 Likes

Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by Nobody: 11:34am On Feb 12, 2015
crackhaus:
Being classy is an illusion created by women to make themselves appear better than other women.

somebody finally said what has been in my head all these years shocked shocked cool cool
Have you noticed how A thinks she is classier than B and B also think she's classier than A? cheesy
It's a very discriminatory word angry

1 Like

Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by 5minsmadness: 11:47am On Feb 12, 2015
Shollypopzz:

I just wanted to know what y'all think (especially women). Do you find the statement offensive? Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?
Well of course those women who are not virgins are going to find the statement offensive! They are no longer part of the 'elite' or 'special' group and it can be hurtful to remember that something that special that they kept for so and so a time has been lost forever.

They mostly are the ones who say things like What's special in being a virgin sef?' 'how does it matter in this our modern society?' ' just cos she's a virgin doesn't mean she's any better than us!' Etc etc.

Being a virgin in this morally decadent world is actually something to be proud of cos its not easy to remain so and yes it does show some sort of self control and classiness on the part of the female when all those around her are giving it up for iPhones and isi-ewu come Feb 14 grin

Then again being a virgin doesn't mean she will be good in other q like honesty or maturity etc etc. Those others are learned separately. A virgin girl may not actually make a good wife so to speak. She has to learn the other aspects of life as well.

Trying to push virginity on boys is a socio-political thing and I honestly don't think it will catch on anytime soon(sorry ladies).

3 Likes

Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by Adaezeagu(f): 11:47am On Feb 12, 2015
BuddhaPalm:

Mercy killing.

go Stand for highway
Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by crackhaus: 11:54am On Feb 12, 2015
alutacontinua:

somebody finally said what has been in my head all these years shocked shocked cool cool
Have you noticed how A thinks she is classier than B and B also think she's classier than A? cheesy
It's a very discriminatory word angry
Lol...

I also noticed that ladies who verbally refer to themselves as classy may not really be, it's the ones who exude it or have a certain aura about them (character, personality, style, and sophistication) that get referred to as classy by other people.

1 Like

Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by crackhaus: 11:58am On Feb 12, 2015
5minsmadness:

Well of course those women who are not virgins are going to find the statement offensive! They are no longer part of the 'elite' or 'special' group and it can be hurtful to remember that something that special that they kept for so and so a time has been lost forever.

They mostly are the ones who say things like What's special in being a virgin sef?' 'how does it matter in this our modern society?' ' just cos she's a virgin doesn't mean she's any better than us!' Etc etc.
gringringrin
Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by BuddhaPalm(m): 12:17pm On Feb 12, 2015
Flytefalls:

That's somebody's friend, behave grin

Hehe, I do not negotiate with terrorists grin.

@ Some of your posts from yesterday...I want to be like you when I grow up.

Flytefalls at her finest.

1 Like

Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by Nobody: 12:25pm On Feb 12, 2015
BuddhaPalm:

Hehe, I do not negotiate with terrorists grin.

@ Some of your posts from yesterday...I want to be like you when I grow up.

Flytefalls at her finest.
grin. I live to ask questions when I don't understand somebody's p.o.v. Perspective doesnt fall from the trees, so it's nice to explore how a person thinks and hope to learn from them. However...

5minsmadness:

Being a virgin in this morally decadent world is actually something to be proud of cos its not easy to remain so and yes it does show some sort of self control and classiness on the part of the female when all those around her are giving it up for iPhones and isi-ewu come Feb 14 grin
...Sometimes, one must laugh and let things go grin cry

1 Like

Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by Nobody: 1:19pm On Feb 12, 2015
5minsmadness:

Then again being a virgin doesn't mean she will be good in other q like honesty or maturity etc etc. Those others are learned separately. A virgin girl may not actually make a good wife so to speak. She has to learn the other aspects of life as well.

Trying to push virginity on boys is a socio-political thing and I honestly don't think it will catch on anytime soon(sorry ladies).
true oo. virginity berra. d non-virgins r going to come in n hate, some of dem r alreeady here lipsrsealed sayin virginity no be class, self-aggradize..mcheww.. dis one sef, u can use simple word but she too like forming, nonsense. others won't b virgins oo but they will come in 2 support it forming virgin. too many hos parading nairaland abeg, men b careful. will neva take a ho for a wife lipsrsealed
Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by 5minsmadness: 1:23pm On Feb 12, 2015
aflyingbird:

true oo. virginity berra. d non-virgins r going to come in n hate, some of dem r alreeady here lipsrsealed sayin virginity no be class, self-aggradize...mcheww.. dis one sef, u can use simple word but she too like forming. some of dem no b virgins oo but they will come in 2 support it forming virgin. too many hos parading nairaland abeg, men b careful. will neva take a ho for a wife lipsrsealed

Don't be so hasty...
They tend to be the best in bed wink
Re: "I Am A Virgin, Therefore, I'm Classy." by zeezahbee(f): 1:50pm On Feb 12, 2015
crackhaus:

Next time, attach the link where you got your definitions from wink
Because all your life you have never written a full sentence. You know what !!! Go back to school, travel more and you can be classy. I forgive you. Nutter undecided

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Message From Almond Joy / Brides To Be, This Is For You......married Too Pls Read. / Unusual Behaviours Of Women In Labour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.