Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,200 members, 7,910,274 topics. Date: Saturday, 03 August 2024 at 11:58 PM

Why Dont Christian Meditate Often? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Dont Christian Meditate Often? (608 Views)

How To Meditate (how I Finally Got It Right - The Secret To My Stillness) / Why You Should Meditate On God's Words / Why Dont Christian Meditate Often? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Dont Christian Meditate Often? by ekemini84(m): 9:46pm On Apr 26, 2015
I mean to ask because I switch church recently and my new spiritual father seem to me more spiritual than the former.

He has for weeks been laying emphasis on the power of practical meditation. For him, prayer is just a distant scream; one must get close enough to be able to offer it effectively and meditation is that medium.

My question is why are church silent on this, even when they do, there are not enough practical emphasis/ teaching on it.
Re: Why Dont Christian Meditate Often? by Jackeeh(m): 9:50pm On Apr 26, 2015
[i][/i]what's meditation all about? How is it done? Care to share what you know?
Re: Why Dont Christian Meditate Often? by ekemini84(m): 10:55pm On Apr 26, 2015
Meditation is the strength of all true spirituality. I only just started so am a learner I must admit. It a state of deep thinking, more than thinking as we call it. Its taking a particular thing from the bible which is our guide book and letting your mind feast on it undistracted. It needs peak focuse I must add.

From practice, I start by clearing my mind of all earthly worries or thought,Then focused on one thing as it relates to God in the bible (you can pick anything I.e the name of God Emmanuel and what it truely means.

You can focused your mind on it solely, chant silently for as long as your mind can keep the focus

Me I struggle for focuse..but praying and working hard as well.

1 Like

Re: Why Dont Christian Meditate Often? by Jackeeh(m): 11:44pm On Apr 26, 2015
ekemini84:
Meditation is the strength of all true spirituality. I only just started so am a learner I must admit. It a state of deep thinking, more than thinking as we call it. Its taking a particular thing from the bible which is our guide book and letting your mind feast on it undistracted. It needs peak focuse I must add.

From practice, I start by clearing my mind of all earthly worries or thought,Then focused on one thing as it relates to God in the bible (you can pick anything I.e the name of God Emmanuel and what it truely means.

You can focused your mind on it solely, chant silently for as long as your mind can keep the focus

Me I struggle for focuse..but praying and working hard as well.

Thanks
Re: Why Dont Christian Meditate Often? by NumberOne2(m): 12:42am On Apr 27, 2015
To answer you, its because it takes time and brain power. A lot of folks dont like to think.
Thinking is hard work thats why they easily get deceived by false prophets. Great men always make time to meditate on God's word.
Examples below:

MEDITATION is not a spiritual thing. It is physical.

Definition - Think deeply or focus one's mind for a period of time, in silence or with the aid of chanting, for religious or spiritual purposes or as a method of relaxation. - from Google.

"This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success." - Joshua 1:8

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night." - Psalm 1:1-2

"Mine eyes prevent the night watches, that I might meditate in thy word." - Psalms:119:148

"Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery. Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all." - 1 Timothy 4:13-15

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, meditate on these things." - Philipians 4:8
Re: Why Dont Christian Meditate Often? by ekemini84(m): 8:47am On Apr 27, 2015
I agree with your take sir! But I never exactly said meditation is a spiritual thing. I said "it is the strength of true spirituality"

The spirit, soul and body of man are interconnected.
The body is the least of all three. One must learn to use it to serve the other two. Meditation is the process in which we channel Gods word properly towards our spirit man till it becomes binding.

Remember faith without works is dead. Also God instruct joshua
Not only to meditate on his word, but also observe to do...
The first part is studying the word, second is meditatation, while the third is doing.
If we can follow in that sequence our walk with God Will be fruitfull .

(1) (Reply)

Huge Birthday Bash Announced For TB Joshua In South Africa / Famous Gospel Singer, ‘abi Mega+’ Appoints MM As Artiste, Marketing Manager / The Secrete Of Sin And Serving God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.