Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,959 members, 7,980,452 topics. Date: Sunday, 20 October 2024 at 02:56 PM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (135) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (260332 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 12:35pm On Mar 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Is 'Jay Jay' Okocha Nigeria's next coach?
[/size]

Jay Jay Okocha

by Samm Audu

AfricanFootball.com has again scooped that former Nigeria skipper Austin ‘Jay Jay’ Okocha is being proposed to work with a foreign coach when Samson Siasia would have completed his temporary charge of the Super Eagles.

“’Jay Jay’ is now being proposed as Eagles assistant coach by the time Siasia has ended his temporary mandate,” a source informed AfricanFootball.com

“He will work with a foreign coach to be appointed by the NFF.”

NFF president Amaju Pinnick recently declared that Oliseh will be the last Nigerian coach for the Eagles as a foreign handler will soon be named substantive coach of the national team.

Frenchman Herve Renard turned down an offer to handle Nigeria before he bagged a deal with Morocco, while top NFF officials were believed to have sounded out Uganda coach Micho, who is Serbian.

Okocha first sought to be named assistant coach when Sunday Oliseh was about to be announced as the country’s coach in place of Stephen Keshi last year.

The legendary midfielder’s name also came up for discussion during the most recent NFF technical committee meeting in Abuja which produced Siasia as interim coach for the two AFCON qualifiers against Egypt.

However, ‘Jay jay’ and Nwankwo Kanu were both not considered because they do not have coaching badges.

The former PSG and Bolton Wanderers star was until recently chairman of the NFF technical study group.

He is also chairman of the Delta Football Association.
http://africanfootball.com/news/618747/Is-Jay-Jay-Okocha-Nigeria-s-next-coach
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 12:35pm On Mar 14, 2016
[size=14pt]
Ideye ends goals drought in Greece
[/size]

Olympiacos striker Brown Ideye

Nigeria forward Brown Ideye ended his goals drought in Greece on Sunday when he scored in Olympiacos 3-1 win over bitter city rivals Panathinaikos.

Champions Olympiacos now have 70 points in 25 games.

Ideye’s last goal before Sunday was in a cup game on January 27 in a 5-0 thrashing of Asteras Tripolis.

He has now scored eight goals in the league.
http://africanfootball.com/news/618980/Ideye-ends-goals-drought-in-Greece

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 12:37pm On Mar 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Sports minister to attend Oliseh's committee hearing
[/size]

Sunday Oliseh

by Samm Audu

It has been confirmed that Nigerian sports minister Solomon Dalung will be present when the country’s former coach Sunday Oliseh appears before the House of Representatives sports committee in Abuja on Thursday.

Oliseh is expected to give his own version to why he suddenly quit his post with just a month to crucial AFCON qualifiers against Egypt.

“The sports minister has insisted he be part of the committee’s hearing and so he will be in attendance on Thursday,” a sports ministry official informed.

The sports minister ordered Oliseh not to be sacked when Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) president Amaju Pinnick presented a recommendation of the technical committee that the coach be fired.

The NFF have maintained this briefing is a major distraction as the Super Eagles are preparing for must-win AFCON qualifiers against Egypt.
http://africanfootball.com/news/618732/Sports-minister-to-attend-Oliseh-s-committee-hearing
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 12:43pm On Mar 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Onyedikachi Regrets Eagles Axe, Focuses On Brazil Friendly
[/size]

By Izuchukwu Okosi:

Super Eagles and FC Ifeanyi Ubah forward, Bright Onyedikachi, says he now regrets being dropped from the Super Eagles squad for the upcoming matches against Egypt by Samson Siasia due to poor showing in a friendly match with Katsina United.

Onyedikachi told Completesportsnigeria.com he was looking forward to playing against the Pharaohs of Egypt in the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers this month, but will not be discouraged by the coach's decision to drop him.

Interim Super Eagles coach, Samson Siasia, asked six home-based players to leave camp after their poor outing in a friendly against Katsina United FC on Thursday and the player who was in Nigeria's team to the 2016 Africa Nations Championship in Rwanda bared his mind to Completesportsnigeria.com.

"Egypt is one of the best sides in Africa, and we all looked forward to the games against them. I did not meet up to expectation in the friendly, and has been demoted to the U-23 Eagles.

"I was feeling hurt, but I see it as a challenge. I'm now focusing on the U-23 Eagles friendly against Brazil next week," Onyedikachi told Completesportsnigeria.com. ‎

"Brazil is equally a big game, and I hope to do well so I can return to the senior national team at some point soon.
Read Also: Chima Akas Confident Siasia's Strategies Will Floor Egypt

Onyedikachi was sent packing along with five other home-based players; Prince Aggrey, Chris Madaki, Hassan Ya'u, Ezekiel Bassey and Oghenetegah Oke.
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/onyedikachi-regrets-eagles-axe-focuses-brazil-friendly/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 12:43pm On Mar 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Deeney Thrilled As Ighalo Ends Goal Drought Against Arsenal
[/size]

By James Agberebi:

Watford skipper, Troy Deeney, has hailed Odion Ighalo for ending his goal drought in the Hornet's 2-1 win against Arsenal in the quarter-final of the FA Cup at the Emirates on Sunday.

After going seven games without a goal, Ighalo finally got his name amongst the goals, scoring Watford's opener after Deeney provided the assist.

Deeney, also praised Algeria's Adlene Guedioura, whose thunderous strike, gave Watford a 2-0 lead.

He went on to thank their travelling fans for their massive support during the game.

Deeney wrote on his Twitter handle: "Massive, well done to Ighalo, back amongst the goals. And Adlene Guedioura, what a strike lad. Thanks for the support, was top class."

Watford now join Everton and Crystal in the semi-finals of the FA Cup which will be played at Wembley Stadium.

Meanwhile, there will be a replay in the other semi-final between Manchester United and West Ham.

In Sunday's clash between both teams, West Ham held Manchester United to a 1-1 draw at Old Trafford.
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/deeney-thrilled-ighalo-ends-goal-drought-arsenal/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 12:44pm On Mar 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Le Guen Negotiates Super Eagles Job; Wants Double Oliseh’s Salary
[/size]

Exclusive By Johnny Edward:

Former French international and Olympique Lyon coach Paul Le Guen is leading the race to become the next Super Eagles job, Completesportsnigeria.com understands.

Claude Leroy and an unnamed Scottish coach are also reportedly jostling for the plum job which erstwhile coach Sunday Oliseh resigned from a month ago.

Le Guen who was sacked as Oman's head coach after the side lost 2-1 to Turkmenistan on Nov. 17 last year, has reportedly agreed in principle, with the NFF, to lead Super Eagles and has also requested former skipper of the Super Eagles Austin Jay- Jay Okocha to be his first assistant on the job.

Le Guen who was also booted out at Scottish side, Rangers Completesportsnigeria.com, gathered will earn about $50,000 a month which is double of what Oliseh earned as coach.

Olympic team coach, Samson Siasia is currently in charge of the Super Eagles on an interim basis for the double header against Egypt later this month.
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/emenike-fires-blanks-west-ham-draw-vs-man-united/
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 2:08pm On Mar 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Exclusive: Watford Star Ighalo Reveals He Sustained A Muscle Injury And Will Need
[/size]

Odion Ighalo has admitted that he is racing to be fit for Watford’s Premier League clash against Stoke City on March 19 after sustaining a muscle injury in the Hornets 2-1 victory against Arsenal on Sunday afternoon.

The Super Eagles striker had to be substituted eight minutes from time against the Gunners at the Emirates and will miss training for at least two days with the hope that he will be in good shape to face the Potters at the Vic.

“I picked up a slight muscle injury, I will see at the end of this week if I am okay. There is no way I can train tomorrow, I was taken off the pitch injured, ” said Odion Ighalo to allnigeriasoccer.com.

“I think I will be fine for the weekend game, I just need to rest two or three days and see how it goes.”

Ighalo’s present condition will be bad news for Nigeria coach Samson Siasia, who is banking on the Watford number 24 to lead his frontline in the national team’s African Cup of Nations qualifying match against Egypt in eleven days time.

The 26-year-old netted his 16th goal of the season against Arsenal after going seven straight games without scoring.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18227
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 2:20pm On Mar 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigerian Exports: Onazi Makes Rare Start; Ideye,Edomwonyi On Target; Balogun,Madu Play Full Game; No Debut For Latifu
[/size]

Catch up on the performances of players of Nigerian descent in the European Leagues on Sunday.

We start off at Villa Park. Tottenham Hotspur dragged Aston Villa deeper into relegation trouble with a 2-0 win. England midfielder Dele Alli started and played 87 minutes of the contest.

Both Josh Onomah (Tottenham Hotspur) and Gabby Agbonlahor (Aston Villa) did not make the squad.

Jerry Mbakogu was an unused substitute as Carpi won for only the fifth time this season, beating Frosinone 2-1 at the Stadio Alberto Braglia.

Elsewhere, Super Eagles vice-skipper Eddy Onazi was a handed a rare start as Lazio defeated Atalanta 2-0 at the Stadio Olimpico . He was replaced in the 81st minute.

Still in the Italian Serie A, Torino midfielder Joel Obi watched proceedings from the bench as his side surrendered a two-goal lead to lose 3-2 to Genoa at Stadio Comunale Luigi Ferraris.

Defender Leon Balogun played the entirety of Mainz 05’s 2-0 loss to Borussia Dortmund. He has appeared 18 times in the Bundesliga this season, lasting the distance in the last nine matches.

ADO Den Haag right-back Tyronne Ebuehi worked a ninety-minute shift in defense in his team’s 2-2 draw with FC Utrecht in the Eredivisie.

Stefano Okaka scored in the sixth minute of Anderlecht’s 3-0 rout of Kortrijk, who were without Michael Olaitan. The Italy international went the distance while teammate Imoh Ezekiel was an unused sub.

Nigeria international winger Moses Simon played 85 minutes of Gent’s 1-1 draw against Sporting Charleroi. He was yellow-carded in the 74th minute.

Still in the Juplier Pro League, Flying Eagles defender Wilfred Ndidi was substituted in the 87th minute as Genk thrashed KV Oostende 4-1 at the Cristal Arena. He was booked five minutes from time.

KV Oostende number 17 Joseph Akpala watched proceedings from the bench, while teammate Saviour Godwin did not make the squad.

Super Eagles midfielder Izunna Uzochukwu played only 14 minutes of OB Odense’s 3-1 win against FC Nordsjaelland.

Brown Ideye passed a late fitness test and assisted the champions Olympiakos beat Panathinaikos 3-1 in the derby. The striker ended a two-month goal drought in the league after he hit target in the 89th minute.

Abdul Ajagun came off the bench in the 46th minute as Levadiakos suffered a 3-0 loss at the hands of Levadiakos.

In the Austrian Bundesliga, Bright Edomwonyi rescued a point for Sturm Graz in their 1-1 draw with Austria Vienna. Bright, who played the full game, equalized for the homers in the 86th minute.

Olarenwaju Kayode was yellow-carded in the 71st minute, then was substituted four minutes later. The Austria Vienna star still has 11 goals in the league.

Sylvester Igboun was not involved in FC Ufa’s 2-0 loss to Lokomotiv Moscow in the Russian Premier League. New signing for the Railway men Henty Ezekiel worked a ninety-minute shift in attack.

In the Ukrainian top-flight, there was no debut for new Stal Dniprodzerzhynsk signing Akeem Latifu . He was an unused sub as his team lost 1-0 to Volyn.

Kingsley Madu played the entirety of Trencin’s 3-1 victory against Zemplin Michalovce. Teammate Aliko Bala was on the bench for this one.

Tunde Adeniji watched from the bench as Levski Sofia beat Pirin Blagoevgrad 3-1 in the Bulgarian top division.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18229
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 2:21pm On Mar 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Fanendo Adi Rues Loss To San Jose Earthquakes
[/size]

Fanendo Adi has rued Portland Timbers’s 2-1 loss to San Jose Earthquakes in the second round of matches in Major League Soccer on Sunday and has suggested that the team failed to convert their chances.

The Oregon-based outfit fell 2-0 behind inside the opening first forty-five minutes before Jack McInerney pulled a goal back in the 88th minute.

“We created a lot of chances. If we finished our chances we would have come out victorious. We have to go back and work on our finishing and putting ourselves in the right position,” said Adi to his club’s official webpage.

Portland Timbers were without skipper Liam Ridgewell for the contest at Avaya Stadium and the defender could spend a minimum of one month on the sidelines due to a hamstring injury he picked up at training on Friday.

“All the guys were ready, even the guys on the bench. It’s sad that we’ll miss him for some time now, but it’s football. It’s a game and things happen,” added the Super Eagles invitee.

Fanendo Adi will be in action next weekend against Sunday Stephen’s Real Salt Lake before heading to Nigeria to join the Super Eagles training camp ahead of the AFCON qualifiers with Egypt.

Igho Kingsley
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18232
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 2:21pm On Mar 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Arsenal Slayer Odion Ighalo Says He Was Bothered By Goal Drought
[/size]

Watford striker Odion Ighalo has admitted that he was bothered by his goal drought but took an amount of solace in the fact that manager Sanchez Flores kept faith with him during his dry spell.

The Nigeria international’s lack of goals in his last seven games was the main talking point days leading up to the FA Cup clash against Arsenal, but he silenced his critics after hitting target in the 50th minute at the Emirates.

“Goals always give confidence to strikers. When you’re not scoring you think about a lot of things and do things you shouldn’t do,” said Odion Ighalo to Hornets PlayerHD.

“But the gaffer has always said that I’m doing everything right and that I just need to keep working hard and doing what I’m doing, and the goal will come.

“Sometimes I feel like I’m letting the team down by not getting the goals because when you don’t score goals you don’t win games. So that’s why every time I want to do my best and try to score.”

Including his strike against the Gunners, Ighalo has netted twice in the FA Cup and 16 in all competitions since the start of this season.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18233
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 2:26pm On Mar 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Leicester City Put Move For Ahmed Musa On Hold To Concentrate On Winning Premier
[/size]

English Premier League leading Leicester City have not approached CSKA Moscow again regarding the signing of Ahmed Musa in after a failed bid for the striker in January.

At the moment, the Foxes have more important things to worry about, including winning the Premier League for the first time in their history, but a source in the know has revealed that he expects the club to resume negotiations at the end of this season.

CSKA Moscow rejected at least two bids from Leicester City days leading up to the close of the winter transfer market as the Army Men, who have their own ambitions of winning the league title, did not want to lose one of their key players.

“It is not that there has been no further contact,it’s more a case of Leicester City concentrating on the English Premier League,” a source close to the Super Eagles skipper told allnigeriasoccer.com.

“There is nothing new at the moment but maybe in the next few weeks things will change.”

The Nigeria international,who has netted 12 goals in all competitions so far this season, is tied to CSKA Moscow until the summer of 2019.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18236
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 2:27pm On Mar 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Super Eagles Striker Sylvester Igboun Hopes To Resume Training This Week
[/size]

Sylvester Igboun has explained that he sustained an injury during the Russian Cup tie between Ufa and CSKA Moscow on March 1, which has kept him on the sidelines for about two weeks.

The Super Eagles frontman was not in Ufa’s squad for league games against Mordovia(March 6) and Lokomotiv Moscow(March 13) because of the ailment.

“The reason why I have not been playing for the last two games is because I had and injury from the game we played against CSKA Moscow in the Cup.

“It is an injury under my leg but I am getting better now and will join the team this week,” said Igboun to allnigeriasoccer.com.

Sly Igboun has not been summoned for the African Cup of Nations qualifiers against Egypt, having featured in every single game played by the Super Eagles under former coach Sunday Oliseh.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18234
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 5:58pm On Mar 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
EGYPT CALL UP FOUR FOREIGN BASED PLAYERS FOR EAGLES CLASH
[/size]

Coach of the Egyptian National team Hector Cuper has called up five foreign based players to join the team camp ahead of their games against Nigeria in the 2017 AFCON qualifiers.

The foreign based stars are lead by Arsenal’s Mohammed El-Nenny, Mohammed Salah of Roma with Ahmed Hassan popularly known as Koka who plays for SC Braga and Anderlecht Mahmoud Hassan nicknamed Trezeguet completing the quartet.

Hull City’s Ahmed Elmohamady was the shock exclusion from the list of foreign based call ups who are expected to join the Pharaohs camp on the 20th of March.

Egypt will defend their leadership of group G when they take on Nigeria on the 25th of March in Kaduna and four days later in Egypt.
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/03/14/egypt-call-up-4-foreign-based-players-for-eagles-clash/
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 5:59pm On Mar 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
VIEW FROM THE STANDS: KANO PILLARS CAN’T WIN THE LEAGUE WITH A STRIKER LIKE GAMBO MOHAMMED
[/size]

Kano Pillars are bookmakers favourite to clinch the Nigeria Premier League this season but to a cross section of their fans that will be possible if they get an alternative option to top scorer Gambo Mohammed.

Owngoalnigeria.com was in the stands during the Kano based team 2-2 draw against Lobi Stars in Makurdi and from the ends of fans of Kano Pillars, their captain Gambo Mohammed won’t help their cause to win the league.

To them Gambo is not a bad striker but that turn of pace and tricks that made him a feared force are no longer a feature of his game which they say make him to be static in most of their game waiting for the ball instead of dragging defenders from their position with runs through the channels.

They argued while the team have succeeded in bringing in fresh legs in other areas of the team the top striker role to them need a forward with
fresh ideas.

In defence with the recent recruitment of Jamiu Alimi and Jonathan Zikiye they have injected pace and youthfulness to their backline to complement the experience they already have.

Ifeanyi Matthew and Sadeeq Yusuf are two recent acquisitions who have both galvanised the team midfield providing the fulcrum for Rabiu Ali to shine in a creative role.

However in attack they fault the top striker position presently anchored by their captain even though they are pleased with the contributions of Prince Aggrey another player that has the youthful vigour they lacked last season.

Their argument is further hinged on the fact that the back up striker to Gambo Mohammed is Bala Mohammed another veteran like their captain who gives them nothing extra or new even when he comes on.
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/03/14/1850/
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 5:59pm On Mar 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
SIMMY NWANKWO TURNING HEADS IN PORTUGAL WITH GOALS
[/size]

Gil Vicente are in for a fight this summer with top clubs who will definitely be interested in pricing away their 23 year old Nigerian forward Simmy Nwankwo after he scored his 14th goal of the season to help them to a 2-1 win over Victoria Guimaraes.

Simmy scored in the 29th minute to give his team a 2-1 lead which they protected till the end to move up to 7th on the second division log standings in Portugal and the goal takes him to two goals behind the division top scorer Platiny who has 16 goals to his name.

Last season he scored nine times in the top division but his goals were powerless in stopping his team from suffering relegation and despite reports of teams interested in his services Gil Vicente hanged on to the forward.

However his new found form coupled with Gil Vicente struggling to gain promotion might see him leave in search of top flight football although he won’t leave on a cheap.

Since moving to Portugal in 2011 when he joined Portimonense he has scored 39 league goals but this season is by far his best as he has already score three more goals than his previous season best of 11 scored in the 2012/2013 season when he was defending the colors of Portimonense.
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/03/13/simmy-nwankwo-turning-heads-in-portugal-with-goals/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 6:01pm On Mar 14, 2016
[size=14pt]
UCHE KALU BAGS BRACE SEALS WIN FOR TURKISH SIDE
[/size]

28 year old former Enyimba FC of Aba forward Uche Kalu scored twice to power his team Adanaspor to a 2-1 win over Altinordu.

Kalu’s brace scored in the 40th and 49th minute of play to give his side a 2-0 lead and despite a late goal from Goksu Turkdogan Adanaspor were able to hand on and pick all three points.

Since moving to Europe in 2013, Kalu has not been lucky with injuries which blighted his time at Rizespor and his first spell with Adanaspor.

His brace took his tally to four goals in all competition since re-joining Adanaspor in January after a short tint with Tobol in Kazakhstan.
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/03/13/uche-kalu-bags-brace-seals-win-for-turkish-side/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 6:06pm On Mar 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
EXCLUSIVE: SIASIA CONSIDERS DROPPING GODWIN OBAJE AND SINCERE SETH TO U-23s
[/size]

As preparations hots up ahead of Nigeria’s AFCON 2017 qualifiers against Egypt interim coach of the Super Eagles Samson Siasia will further trim his squad of home based players before the arrival of the foreign based professional.

Owngoalnigeria.com exclusively gathered that the duo of Godwin Obaje and Sincere Seth who have both been doing well in camp are set to join the U-23s ahead of their friendly game against Brazil on the 24th of March.

19 year old Obaje has been scoring regularly in training and test games but his chances of making the team are slim due to the avalanche of options available to the coaches in attack.

He will hence drop to the U-23s where he will push for a spot to join the traveling party to Brazil for the friendly game against the U-23 team of the host of the next Olympics.

Sincere Seth on his path has always been a part of the U-23s and he will return to the team despite posting above average showing in training with the Super Eagles as like the case of Obaje he has little or no chance of getting selected if he stays with the Super Eagles.
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/03/13/exclusive-siasia-considers-dropping-godwin-obaje-and-sincere-seth-to-u-23s/
[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 6:07pm On Mar 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
EFE AMBROSE OUT OF FAVOUR AT CELTIC
[/size]

Super Eagles defender Efe Ambrose is having his worst season in Scotland since joining Celtic in 2013/2014 season as the 27 year old has found games hard to by.

Ambrose got just one minute of game time yesterday when Celtic defeated Patrick Thistle 1-2 to make his first appearance since the 31st of January when he got sent off in a 3-1 League Cup loss against Ross County.

Despite serving out his one match suspension in the game that followed the next weekend Ambrose didn’t play a single game in the entire month of February.

He has missed Celtic last 8 games in all competition further fueling rumours that he might be sold in the summer.

So far he has made just 16 appearances in the league with less than 10 games to go he is on course to record his lowest ever league appearance at Celtic since joining them four seasons ago.
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/03/13/efe-ambrose-out-of-favour-at-celtic/
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 6:14pm On Mar 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Chibuzor Okonkwo eyes 2017 Africa Cup of Nations ticket
[/size]

Goal news

The defender has expressed his delight getting a recall to the senior national team while hoping to justify his inclusion in the team

FC Ifeanyi Ubah defender Chibuzor Okonkwo has promised to fight for a place in the Super Eagles squad ahead the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers against Egypt.

The 2008 Olympics silver medalist expressed his delight getting an invite to the senior national team while hoping not to let the opportunity slip off.

"I'm truly grateful for this opportunity to wear the Green and White shirt of Nigeria again,” Okonkwo told Goal.

“There's nothing as beautiful as representing one's country and I'm glad with the invitation.

“I got the invitation as a result of hard work and I promise not to disappoint, I'll give my all to grab this opportunity.”

The Ifeanyi Ubah defender also expressed confidence in the Anambra Warriors' chances of lifting the Nigeria Professional Football League diadem.

"FC Ifeanyi Ubah are ready to take the game at any opponent in the league because our only target this season is to lift the NPFL trophy,” he added.

“We are well motivated to go all out to conquer the challenge that comes our way in the NPFL this season.”
http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4093/nigerian-football/2016/03/14/21309082/chibuzor-okonkwo-eyes-2017-africa-cup-of-nations-ticket?ICID=HP_BN_11
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 6:14pm On Mar 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Oliseh, Sports Committee meeting 'postponed indefinitely'
[/size]

Sunday Oliseh

By Shemmy Sholabomi

The much anticipated meeting between Sunday Oliseh, who voluntarily resigned his position as Super Eagles coach last month, with the House of Representatives’ Committee on Sports scheduled for Thursday has been postponed indefinitely.

Oliseh was to fly in from his base in Belgium on Thursday to explain the reasons for suddenly resigning from his position as the chief coach of the Super Eagles barely a month to the crucial 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying double header against Egypt.

A source in the National Assembly told Goal exclusively on Monday that the meeting has been postponed indefinitely and there would be an announcement to the effect if the meeting would hold again.

"The meeting between the House Committee on Sports and former Super Eagles Chief Coach Sunday Oliseh has been postponed indefinitely. No reason or reasons have been given to that effect. Even as I speak with you I am doing so as a friend and not saddled with the responsibility of making any public statement to that effect. But the truth is that the meeting will not hold on Thursday,” the source told Goal.

But when probed further, it was revealed that any meeting of that nature would definitely be a big distraction to the make or mar double Afcon qualification matches.

“What I can also tell you as a friend is that the House Committee considered the fact that the outcome of the meeting may distract or have adverse effect on the Eagles versus Egypt’s Nations Cup qualifying matches.

“So in as much as the House Committee on Sports wants things to be done properly in the Nigeria Football house its action and intentions must not have negative effects on our national team,” the source explained.

The source also disclosed that a prominent member of the committee who was supposed to chair the meeting has traveled out of the country and is not expected to be back until next week.
http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4093/nigerian-football/2016/03/14/21314022/oliseh-sports-committee-meeting-postponed-indefinitely?ICID=HP_BN_6
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 6:19pm On Mar 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Siasia looking for Ighalo goals against Egypt after strike against Arsenal
By Mohamed Salah
[/size]

Photo: Watford FC

Super Eagles boss Samson Siasia has praised Nigeria forward Odion Ighalo after he regained his scoring form against FA cup holders Arsenal and inspiring his team to knock out the Gunners in the quarter-final of the FA Cup.

The 26-year-old Nigerian won the Man-of-the-Match award after his outstanding performance on Sunday against a helpless Arsenal side, Ighalo scored his side’s first in the 50th minute before his Algerian teammate Adnan Gedioura doubled the Hornets’ lead 13 minutes later. Danny Welbeck scored the consolation goal in the 88th minute but it was too late for the gunners to equalize.

FACT: @NGSuperEagles striker @ighalojude scores his first goal since the 30th of January.

— KingFut.com (@King_Fut) March 13, 2016

Samson Siasia contacted Ighalo before the game to wish him good luck and was a happy man when one of his star players played a huge role in ousting Arsene Wenger’s side out of the Cup.

The Nigerian head coach spoke with SportingLife after the game and was hopeful Odion Ighalo would repeat what he did against Arsenal in Kaduna and Alexandria when the Super Eagles face Egypt for the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers.

“I am very happy that Odion (Ighalo) is back to his best and started scoring again. I told you guys that this can happen to any player and that when the goals starts pouring in again it will continue,” Siasia said.

Ighalo previously brushed off worries regarding his goalscorering drought, confirming that the he will soon be back to scoring ways again.

“I like the goal Odion scored and I am hopeful that he can replicate this scoring form when he comes home for the Africa Cup of Nations’ qualifiers against Egypt in Kaduna and away in Alexandria,” Siasia concluded.
http://www.kingfut.com/2016/03/14/siasia-looking-ighalo-goals/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:49pm On Mar 14, 2016
justiz5:

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/03/13/exclusive-siasia-considers-dropping-godwin-obaje-and-sincere-seth-to-u-23s/

No. Send him back to the Super Eagles. The U23 attack is screaming attack overload. Glad to see the young Godwin Obaje impressed in training with the Super Eagles. Real good news.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:54am On Mar 15, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Eagles reject Aggreh man of match against Lobi
[/size]

Prince Aggreh (Left)

Kano Pillars forward Prince Aggreh was named man of the match in Sunday’s Nigeria league match at Lobi Stars just days after he was dropped by the Super Eagles ahead of AFCON qualifiers against Egypt.

Aggreh scored a goal and had another effort diverted into an own goal as Pillars held hosts Lobi to a 2-2 draw.

Journalists covering the game picked the former Heartland and Sunshine Stars ace as the star player of the day.

Aggreh has now scored three goals in the league, against Enugu Rangers, Wikki and Lobi Stars.

“We are delighted to have Prince back from the Eagles camp, he will add value to our quest to reclaim the league championship,” said a delighted Pillars official.
http://africanfootball.com/news/619236/Eagles-reject-Aggreh-man-of-match-against-Lobi
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:54am On Mar 15, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Oliseh withdraws lawsuit against NFF
[/size]

by Samm Audu

Former Nigeria coach Sunday Oliseh has withdrawn a law suit against the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), saying it is in the interest of the country.

“I have instructed my lawyers to withdraw the law suit against the NFF,” Oliseh announced on YouTube.

“After speaking with well-meaning Nigerians, who I respect a lot, I also believe it is useless joining issues with people who are bent on deceiving Nigerians and misleading Nigerians and diverting attention from the reality.

“Certain vested interest in the NFF put their own interests first before that of Nigeria. My position of putting Nigeria first was a hindrance to certain vested interests in the NFF.

“If you put Nigeria first, you will always have problems with the NFF.

“This also explains why the benefits of players and wages and coaches are always placed secondary, while other things like team building trips (for FA chairmen) will always be catered to first.”

Oliseh further alleged that rather than for the technical committee to offer him technical assistance, they prefer to impose players on him.

“I asked the technical committee for information to help us against Egypt since July 2015, but I got no such information,” he said.

“Instead what they found more important to them was who will play for Nigeria, who is invited, who will play and I refused because they are not coaches.”

Oliseh also gave more insight surrounding his resignation.

He disclosed he presented a demand letter dated February 16 with a deadline of February 25, no phone call or email was made to address this matter and he then resigned by midnight of February 25.
http://africanfootball.com/news/619229/Oliseh-withdraws-lawsuit-against-NFF
[/b]

1 Like

[b][size=14pt]
Oliseh Blasts NFF Again, Predicts More Trouble For New Super Eagles Coach
[/size]

By James Agberebi:

Former Super Eagles coach Sunday Oliseh has come out to make a detailed statement about his failed relationship with the Nigeria Football Federatiom, NFF, and his consequent resignation as Super Eagles coach. He warns that tough times awaits whoever succeeds him as head coach of the team, for obvious reasons, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Speaking ahead of his planned presentation to the Honourable House of Representatives on Thursday March 17th, 2016, Oliseh, on his blog, sundayoliseh.tv, the former Super Eagles coach explains how the welfare of the players and the coaches of the national team were ignored for unimportant issues.

Following the resignation of Oliseh, the Nigeria Football Federation appointed U-23 Eagles coach, Samson Siasia, as an interim Super Eagles manager. The NFF have shortlisted some foreign coaches, as they continue to look for an expatriate coach to make a substantive replacement for Oliseh.

He disclosed how NFF officials tried to influence who gets invited to the Super Eagles, also reiterated why he decided to finally call it quits.

"Hello my name is Sunday Oliseh. I have instructed my lawyers to withdraw the lawsuit against the Nigeria Football Federation. After speaking with well-meaning Nigerians, whom I respect a lot, I also believe that it is useless joining issues with people who are bent on deceiving Nigerians and misleading Nigerians and diverting attentions from the reality. And the reality is that I decided to resign on the 25th of February because certain vested interest in the NFF put in their own interest first before the interest of our country," Oliseh started.

"But I also believe that Nigerians deserve to know the truth. I feel that it is important to know that my position as regards Nigeria coming first was a hinderance to the personal interest of certain vested interest in the NFF. And for that reason, anybody who is going to come in and be in my position as chief coach and who puts Nigeria first will always have problems. That is for sure.

"Now, this also explains why important or very necessary expenditures that are important for the progression of our country, like wages of the players, the coaches are always placed secondary. Whereas other expenditures that have very little bearing to the progression of our country, will always be catered for first.

"I also feel in order not to let Nigerians get the true picture, they are hell-bent on tarnishing my credibility. And that is why they've come up with this story like they've paid me and then I left. I have attached underneath here, since I am no longer going with the lawsuit, the statement of my account, of the bank which the NFF deals with in the few occasions that I have been paid. I have attached it underneath here and you can see that there is no payment that was made by the NFF to me. Up till the time I resigned on the 25th and even after that, up to the 29th that the month ended, you can see that.

"I also feel that it is right you know that I asked the technical committee for information, for materials to help us as regards Egypt. And I asked them way back in July 2015. As at the time I resigned on the 25th of February 2016, there was no information for us. Even though I demanded on several occasions. By emails also, so there is prove of it, so they dare not deny it.

"But what I feel they regarded more important about was trying to influence who plays for Nigeria, who gets invited, who would play. And obviously, I refused because they are not coaches.

"I also feel that it is unfair, but that notwithstanding, to treat players the way the players have been treated. Because it influences how the players perform and how they react. So, for that reason, I have attached here also, the invoice of the food they are saying I didn't buy in South Africa, I have attached it here for you to see. And that shows you that there is nowhere in the world the national team coach of the first team buys food for the team? And we are the richest African nation. So on that, I leave you to judge by yourself.

"Since I do not want to be a part of this, of putting Nigeria secondary, and personal interest first, there was no way this could continue. And I felt it was time to let it be, that was why I resigned, nothing else."

Oliseh added: "On the 16th of February, I wrote a demand letter to the Nigeria Football Federation, and I gave them an ultimatum of 25th, to settle issues way back as to July 2015. And almost by midnight when that ultimatum was not met, I resigned. No phone call was made. No email was sent to try to address this demand letter. And it was very clear. And when I resigned, I resigned by email and I resigned also by post-mail. And afterwards, the (NFF) president and the vice president called me and we spoke about this up until 2 am. And they tried to convince me not to do that, but the decision had been taken.

"And before that, I had contacted the Minister (of Sports). With due respect to the Minister and to Nigeria, before I even resigned, I called him to alert and to tell him what I had decided as the father of Nigerian sports.

"So, I don't think you need too much convincing because you've always known that what our federation is like. But then again, it was a pleasure to have served Nigeria as coach. Long live Nigeria. Thank you. Bye."
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/oliseh-blasts-nff-predicts-trouble-new-super-eagles-coach/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 11:03am On Mar 15, 2016
SUNDAY OLISEH - THE PROOF OF HOW NFF TREATED ME UNFAIRLY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLzSo6s_MMI

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 11:06am On Mar 15, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
FA Cup Semi-Finals: Ighalo’s Watford Clash With Crystal Palace
[/size]

Odion Ighalo's Watford have been drawn to face Crystal Palace in the semi-final of the Emirates FA Cup.

The draw which was held on Monday night, will also see Everton square off against either Manchester United or West Ham United in the other semi-final.

Both semi-finals of this season's FA Cup, will come up at the magnificent Wembley Stadium.

To get to the last four, Watford defeated former holders Arsenal 2-1 at the Emirates Stadium with Igaho getting the opener. Algeria's Adlene Guerioura got Watford's second goal.

Crystal Palace on their part, beat championship side Reading 2-0 thanks to goals from Yohan Cabaye and Fraiser Campbell.

The other quarter-final between Manchester United and West Ham ended 1-1, forcing a replay at Boleyn Ground.

The semi-finals comes up in the weekend of 23 and 24 of April, 2016.
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/fa-cup-semi-finals-ighalos-watford-clash-crystal-palace/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 11:07am On Mar 15, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
NFF Assures Siasia: No Foreign Coach For Now
[/size]

By Richard Jideaka, Abuja:

The Nigeria Football Federation has assured Super Eagles interim coach, Samson Siasia, that there is no plan, for now, to hire a foreign coach to take over the senior national team job from him, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

General Secretary of the NFF, Dr. Mohammed Sanusi, who disclosed this on Monday stated that Siasia was saddled with the responsibility of beating Egypt to the AFCON ticket, adding that the federation has absolute trust in the former Nigeria international striker to successfully lead the Super Eagles to Gabon.

"We have absolute trust in Siasia to deliver, and we are giving him all the support to ensure that we achieved our target which to qualify for AFCON. We are not thinking of replacing him for now and we are not discussing with any coach as at this moment. Siasia was with me this morning and I assured him that his job is safe and not threatened," Sanusi said.

"Honestly, we don't know where this story is coming from because we are not talking with any foreign coach. We don't want anything that will distract the team from the task of beating Egypt home and away. We have confidence in Siasia, that is why we saddled him with the responsibility of heading the coaching crew after Sunday Oliseh resigned.

" What we want from Nigerians is support and prayers so that the Super Eagles qualify for the Africa Cup of Nations. Siasia is doing well so far and we trust him to deliver," Sanusi stated.
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/nff-assures-siasia-no-foreign-coach-now/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by tbaba1234: 12:26pm On Mar 15, 2016
The NFF has serious issues, no self respecting coach will endure them for long.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by enomakos(m): 4:02pm On Mar 15, 2016
tbaba1234:
The NFF has serious issues, no self respecting coach will endure them for long.
the glass house need a clean sweep

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 5:43pm On Mar 15, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Loscuito Endorses Le Guen For Super Eagles Job
[/size]

Exclusive By Izuchukwu Okosi:

Former Super Eagles assistant coach, Jean Francois Loscuito has given a firm endorsement to former Paris Saint Germain defender, Paul Le Guen as a good candidate for the Nigerian national team coaching job, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

The Nigeria Football Federation have reportedly agreed a contract with the erstwhile Oman national team boss, but seemingly have backtracked on that stance, with an assurance to interim coach Samson Siasia that the issue of a foreign coach will not be on the front burner, albeit for now.

Completesportsnigeria.com sought the opinion of the coach who assisted Sunday Oliseh before the recent resignation of the former Nigeria international, on the subject of a foreign coach.

"I know Paul Le Guen very well. He was a great player and he has vital experience in coaching as well," Loscuito remarks during an exclusive chat with Completesportsnigeria.com.

"If Nigeria go for him, it will not be a bad choice. Coaching or the style of football coaches adopt is not the problem of Nigerian football," Loscuito, who is in Lome, Togo, where he is receiving treatment after food poisoning and an operation further stated.

Loscuito says the problem of Nigerian football goes beyond the football players on the field and the coaches on the dugout.

"No coach will succeed if the working environment is not football-friendly. I have no further comments on that line of question or Sunday's resignation. Let the right things be done. Nigeria have fantastic players who understand the tactics of their coaches," Loscuito ‎tells Completesportsnigeria.com.

Loscuito also hints that he is receiving offers for a coaching job, but stopped short of mentioning where the offers are coming from.

"I have received offers from some teams but I do not want to disclose them now. Don't stress my friend, it is secret for me. As for me, and the Nigeria Football Federation, we have finished our problems. I will not consider the Super Eagles again," the former ASFA Yenanga of Burkina Faso tactician concludes.

The Bolton White Apartment camp in Abuja of the Super Eagles is agog with preparation which the home-based players had begun, and they will be joined early next week by the overseas -based players.‎
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/loscuito-endorses-le-guen-super-eagles-job/
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 5:49pm On Mar 15, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
I was scared meeting Terry, Drogba, Shevchenko — Mikel
[/size]
Nigerian star, John Mikel Obi has revealed that he was consumed with fears on his first day at Chelsea’s dressing room becuase of the presence of superstars, such as John Terry, Michael Ballack, Didier Drogba, Michael Essien and Andrily Shevchenko among others.

The latest edition of the official magazine of the club, known as ‘Chelsea’, features an exclusive interview with John Mikel Obi. The elegant enforcer will reach the 10-year mark in the summer. In fact, the Nigerian can still remember vividly his first day at our Cobham training round when he joined as a fresh-faced 19-year-old. ‘I came into the dressing room that day literally shaking,’ he recalls.

‘I saw the players that were in there – the likes of John Terry, Frank Lampard, Didier Drogba, Claude Makelele, Geremi, Michael Essien, Michael Ballack, Andriy Shevchenko – it was crazy.

And I was just 19 ‘I was shaking the whole day because I couldn’t talk to any of them. I didn’t know what to say to guys like that. They were really nice guys, but it was scary. It can be tough coming into a dressing room like that as a younger player. You had to earn the right to be among them.’

He has certainly done that over the years, and this season he has played a key role in the Blues’ improved form in the new year. Guus Hiddink has spoken about him in glowing terms and Mikel is pleased with his role in the team. ‘I love doing my defensive duties, but at the same time I love having the ball and always trying to be available so we can play out from the back,’ he said.

‘This is something we’ve talked about, something the manager has stressed – trying to play out from the back so we can always be in control of the game. I think doing this we have much more possession of the ball. ‘I like having the ball and making the team play. When I was young, my natural position wasn’t as a defensive midfielder so maybe that gives me a bit of an edge.’

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/03/i-was-scared-meeting-terry-drogba-shevchenko-mikel/
[/b]

(1) (2) (3) ... (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) ... (161) (Reply)

Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting? / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Boy Wins 43 Million Naira On Bet9ja In Benue With Just 100 Naira(sreenshots)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.