Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,957 members, 7,980,446 topics. Date: Sunday, 20 October 2024 at 02:48 PM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (136) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (260330 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 5:57pm On Mar 15, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
READ FULL TEXT OF SUNDAY OLISEH’S LATEST VIDEO ATTACK ON NFF
[/size]

Hello my name is Sunday Oliseh and have instructed my lawyers to withdraw the law suit against the Nigeria Football Federation after speaking with well meaning Nigerians whom I respect a lot.

I also believe that it’s useless joining issues with people who are bent on deceiving Nigerians,misleading Nigerians and diverting attention from the reality and the reality is that I decided to resign on the 25th of February because certain vested interest in the NFF put their own interest first before the interest of our country.

But I also believe that Nigerians deserve to know the truth, I feel that it is important to know that my position as regards Nigeria coming first was a hindrance to the personal interest of certain vested interest in the NFF and for that reason anybody who is gonna come in and be in my position as chief coach and who put Nigeria first will always have problems that is for sure.

Now this also explains why importance of very necessary expenditure that are important for the progression of our country like wages of players,benefit of players, the coaches are always placed secondary whereas other expenditures that have very little bearing to the progression of our country will always be cater to first.

For example you know team building a trimester we don’t really need that for our national team to progress.

I also feel in order to no let Nigerians get the true picture they are just bent on tarnishing my image that is why they have come up with stories like they paid me then I left , I have attached underneath here since the federal government hearing is not gonna hold today, I have attached underneath here statements of my account of the Zenith Bank the bank they NFF dealt with me the few occasion I have been paid.

I have attached it underneath here and you can see from the month of February that no payment that was made from the NFF to me uptil the time I resigned on the 25th and even wayward after that on the 29th that the month ended you can see that.

I also feel that it is right you know that I asked the technical committee for information, for materials to help us as regards to Egypt and I asked them way back as July 2015 as at the time I resigned on the 25th of February 2016 there was no information for us even though I demanded them on several occasions by emails also so there’s proof of it so they dare not deny it but what I feel they were more important about or what they find more important to them was trying to influence who plays for Nigeria, who get invited, who will play and obviously I refused because they are not coaches.

I also feel that it is unfair but that notwithstanding to treat players the way they did the way the players are being treated because it influences how the players perform and how they react so for that reason I have attach here also, please find attached also the proof, the invoice of the food that they are saying I didn’t buy in South Africa I have attached it here for you to see and that shows you that where in the world does the national team coach of the first team buy food for the team we are the richest Africa Nation.

So that alone I leave you to judge yourself now since I did not want to be part of this of putting Nigeria second and personal interest first there was no way this could continue and I felt it was time to let be that was why I resigned bye bye, thank you bye.

On the 16th of February I wrote a demand letter to the Nigeria Football Federation and I gave them an ultimatum for the 25th to settle issues dating way back as to July 2015 and almost by midnight when that ultimatum was not met I resigned, no phone call was made no email was made to try to address this demand later and it was very clear and when I resigned, I resigned by email and I resigned also by postmail and even afterwards the president and the Vice President called me and we spoke about this almost till 2am and they tried to convince me not to do what have done but the decision has been taken and before even that I contacted the minister with due respect to Nigeria and to him before I even resigned I called him to tell him as the father of Nigeria sports, so I don’t really think you need too much convincing because you’ve always known that our federation what they are like that but then it was a pleasure to have serve Nigerians, I do love you Nigerians, thank you once again
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/03/15/read-full-text-of-sunday-olisehs-latest-video-attack-on-nff/
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 5:57pm On Mar 15, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
EXCLUSIVE: SALAMI,ANOBI TO LEAVE FOR FINLAND TONIGHT
[/size]

The duo of Gbolahan Salami and Paul Onobi will this night depart the shores of Nigeria for Finland to formerly join Finnish side Kuopion Palloseura (KuPS).

Owngoalnigeria.com can exclusively report that as at 2:00pm Nigeria time they were already in an hotel in Abuja from where they will leave for the airport ahead of their flight tonight.

We gathered Onobi received his work permit since the 11th of March but his trip was delayed due to some of his representatives who insist on traveling with him.

They will now join Azubuike Egwuekwe who is already in Finland after receiving his work permit earlier than the duo.

Although unconfirmed we gathered they will be presented to the press and the fans tomorrow before their first training session with the team on Friday.
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/03/15/exclusive-salamianobi-to-leave-for-finland-tonight/
[/b]

1 Like

[b][size=14pt]
PAUL ONOBI GETS FINNISH WORK PERMIT
[/size]

Super Eagles midfielder Paul Onobi has received the greenlight to start his career in Europe after receiving his work permit to join Finnish side Kuopion Palloseura (KuPS).

Onobi signed a one and half year deal to join two other Super Eagles players Azubuike Egwuekwe and Gbolahan Salami at the Savon Sanomat Areena.

However while Egwuekwe is already in Finland waiting to make his debut, Salami and Onobi were held back by visa and work permit issues,

Onobi has however been given his and should join the team soonest according to reports gathered by owngoalnigeria.com.

“Onobi should be in Finland before the end of this week as he has been issued a visa and work permit, it’s no longer an issue now we waiting for KuPS to send us his travelling plans”

23 year old Onobi made his Super Eagles debut under erstwhile Eagles coach Sunday Oliseh but has not been included in interim manager Samson Siasia squad for the AFCON 2017 qualifiers games against Egypt.

A below par performance for Nigeria at the CHAN 2016 championship didn’t help his cause and he will be hoping his move to Finland help him relaunch himself back into international reckoning.
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/03/15/paul-onobi-gets-finnish-work-permit/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 6:04pm On Mar 15, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
RILWAN HASSAN STEERS MIDTYLLAND TO VICTORY
[/size]

Rilwan Hassan scored his first goal of the season by scoring the opener for FC Midtylland as they secure a well deserve 3-0 victory over Hobro in the Danish League.

He set them on the way to the convincing victory by scoring their first goal in the 2nd minute, a lead they protected till the half time break before further goals from Martin Pusic and Marcos Urena rounded up the scoring.

Last season the 25 year old didn’t score his first goal until the match day 25 but this time around he has opened his season account in the sixth game of the season.

So far he has played in all of their league games this season but this time around he was substituted with 24 minutes left to play while his Nigerian counterpart Paul Onuachu watched the entire game from the bench.
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/03/14/rilwan-hassan-steers-midtylland-to-victory/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by onyeomaonyeoma(m): 7:19pm On Mar 15, 2016
BlackAlbino6:
[b][size=14pt]
READ FULL TEXT OF SUNDAY OLISEH’S LATEST VIDEO ATTACK ON NFF
[/size]

Hello my name is Sunday Oliseh and have instructed my lawyers to withdraw the law suit against the Nigeria Football Federation after speaking with well meaning Nigerians whom I respect a lot.

I also believe that it’s useless joining issues with people who are bent on deceiving Nigerians,misleading Nigerians and diverting attention from the reality and the reality is that I decided to resign on the 25th of February because certain vested interest in the NFF put their own interest first before the interest of our country.

But I also believe that Nigerians deserve to know the truth, I feel that it is important to know that my position as regards Nigeria coming first was a hindrance to the personal interest of certain vested interest in the NFF and for that reason anybody who is gonna come in and be in my position as chief coach and who put Nigeria first will always have problems that is for sure.

Now this also explains why importance of very necessary expenditure that are important for the progression of our country like wages of players,benefit of players, the coaches are always placed secondary whereas other expenditures that have very little bearing to the progression of our country will always be cater to first.

For example you know team building a trimester we don’t really need that for our national team to progress.

I also feel in order to no let Nigerians get the true picture they are just bent on tarnishing my image that is why they have come up with stories like they paid me then I left , I have attached underneath here since the federal government hearing is not gonna hold today, I have attached underneath here statements of my account of the Zenith Bank the bank they NFF dealt with me the few occasion I have been paid.

I have attached it underneath here and you can see from the month of February that no payment that was made from the NFF to me uptil the time I resigned on the 25th and even wayward after that on the 29th that the month ended you can see that.

I also feel that it is right you know that I asked the technical committee for information, for materials to help us as regards to Egypt and I asked them way back as July 2015 as at the time I resigned on the 25th of February 2016 there was no information for us even though I demanded them on several occasions by emails also so there’s proof of it so they dare not deny it but what I feel they were more important about or what they find more important to them was trying to influence who plays for Nigeria, who get invited, who will play and obviously I refused because they are not coaches.

I also feel that it is unfair but that notwithstanding to treat players the way they did the way the players are being treated because it influences how the players perform and how they react so for that reason I have attach here also, please find attached also the proof, the invoice of the food that they are saying I didn’t buy in South Africa I have attached it here for you to see and that shows you that where in the world does the national team coach of the first team buy food for the team we are the richest Africa Nation.

So that alone I leave you to judge yourself now since I did not want to be part of this of putting Nigeria second and personal interest first there was no way this could continue and I felt it was time to let be that was why I resigned bye bye, thank you bye.

On the 16th of February I wrote a demand letter to the Nigeria Football Federation and I gave them an ultimatum for the 25th to settle issues dating way back as to July 2015 and almost by midnight when that ultimatum was not met I resigned, no phone call was made no email was made to try to address this demand later and it was very clear and when I resigned, I resigned by email and I resigned also by postmail and even afterwards the president and the Vice President called me and we spoke about this almost till 2am and they tried to convince me not to do what have done but the decision has been taken and before even that I contacted the minister with due respect to Nigeria and to him before I even resigned I called him to tell him as the father of Nigeria sports, so I don’t really think you need too much convincing because you’ve always known that our federation what they are like that but then it was a pleasure to have serve Nigerians, I do love you Nigerians, thank you once again
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/03/15/read-full-text-of-sunday-olisehs-latest-video-attack-on-nff/
[/b]
coach Sunday Oliseh cry me a river...where u not one of those throwing jibes at coach Stephen Keshi despite the harsh conditions he was working with this greedy NFF.
nice u learnt ur lesson, so when next u go back to punditry u will reason well before u bash any coach......... the PEP GUADIOLA of Africa lol

4 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by forgiveness: 7:20pm On Mar 15, 2016
Orkpekyandega:
[b][size=14pt]
LOST IN TRANSIT: 33 Nigerian Footballers Playing For Other Countries
[/size]

Dele Alli will be turning out for England in the European Championship in France later in the year. He could easily be playing for the Super Eagles at next year's Africa Cup of Nations or even the U-23 Eagles at the Rio 2016 Olympics, given his Nigerian blood. The extremely talented Tottenham midfielder is the latest in the line of players of Nigerian descent who chose to play for other countries for one reason or the other. Completesportsnigeria.com's IZUCHUKWU OKOSI digs up a long list of these players with Nigerian blood, who chose to play for countries — some as far-flung as Haiti, Indonesia and Singapore — other than Nigeria…

1. EMMANUEL SHEYI ADEBAYOR
Former African Footballer of the Year in 2008, Emmanuel Sheyi Adebayor was born in Lome, Togo to Nigerian parents. Adebayor exclusively told Complete Sports in Accra, Ghana in 2007 during an interview whilst still a player of Arsenal that he desired to play for the Super Eagles but the presence of other top Nigerian strikers made it impossible for him to have a chance so he opted to play for Togo. He went further to say that he still considers himself a Nigerian as his parents are from Osun State and he only represents Togo for his career's sake. Adebayor's first name Oluwaseyi means 'God Did This' which he was given due to his initial difficulty walking as a child. Adebayor currently plays for Crystal Palace in the English Premier League.

Adopted Country: Togo

Number of Caps: 65

2. SIDNEY SAM
Sidney Sam, born to a German mother and Nigerian father, played for German Bundesliga side Bayer Leverkusen and was thought to be in line to represent Nigeria prior to the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations. Former Super Eagles coach Stephen Keshi was reportedly interested in handing the midfielder the chance to represent Nigeria rather than Germany where he was born. Sam had played for the German youth teams but not for the senior national team and was not sure of breaking into the German national team and so was seriously considering Nigeria's offer. Curiously the midfielder pulled the plug on such plans and never represented Nigeria. Sam went on to play five times for Germany's senior team and was in a 30-man pre-World Cup squad for Brazil 2014 but did not make the final squad for the eventual champions.

Adopted Country: Germany Number of Caps: 5

3. DENNIS AOGO
Another Nigerian-born footballer who never got to don the green and white jersey of the Super Eagles is Dennis Aogo. Born to a Nigerian father and a German mother, Aogo who is adept playing as a left-back or defensive midfielder was seen as the ideal choice for the latter position for Nigeria. The versatile player was billed to be part of the Eagles' squad to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa but prior to the tournament opted out and declared his intention to play for Germany instead. Aogo would later make his debut for Germany in a friendly match against Malta in a 3-0 victory on 13 May 2010, playing 79 minutes, before being replaced by Ghana-born Jérôme Boateng.

Adopted Country: Germany

Number of Caps: 12

4. ANGELO OGBONNA
West Ham United defender Angelo Ogbonna was born to Nigerian parents who travelled to Italy from Nigeria in 1988. Ogbonna made his debut for Italy in November 2011 in a friendly game against Poland where the Azurri won 2-0. He came on as substitute. He was in the Italian 23-man final squad for UEFA Euro 2012, but never played in any match during the competition. He finished the tournament with a silver medal though.

Adopted Country: Italy

Number of Caps: 10

5. ROSS BARKLEY Everton youngster Ross Barkley bears a name you will never think had any Nigerian connection. But did you know that the midfielder has Nigerian roots? Shocked? Well, now you know. Barkley's father Peter Effanga is Nigerian but the player has since played for the Three Lions because his mother Dianne is English. His parents are divorced which played a huge part in him deciding which country he will represent. After the divorce of his parents, Ross was with his mother and bore her surname and that was how Nigeria seemingly lost him! He was eligible to play for Nigeria but he has now gone into history books as one of those who got away.

Adopted Country: England

Number of Caps: 19

6. DAVID ALABA
When Bayern Munich won the 2012/2013 UEFA Champions League on May 25, 2013, David Alaba was seen with the Nigerian and Austrian flags strapped around his waist during the victory parade at the Wembly Stadium Alaba was born in Vienna to a Filipino mother who is a nurse and a Nigerian father who is a DJ and former rapper. The five-time Austrian Player of the Year (2011-2015) whose middle name 'Olatokunbo' means 'Wealth From A Foreign Land' in Yoruba language was said to be keen on representing Nigeria at youth level. In fact if all had gone well, the left-back would have been in Nigeria's U-17 squad to the 2007 FIFA U-17 World Cup handled by the late Yemi Tella but he was not considered despite voicing his interest to play for the Golden Eaglets. "I wanted to play for Nigeria but I must confess that there was no formal approach for me. A scout actually discussed that with me. "I was excited because of my dad, he was a fan of (current Super Eagles coach) Sunday Oliseh when Oliseh played for FC Cologne. As a kid, I loved to watch Victor Agali in the jersey of Hansa Rostock,'' he told an Austrian news medium. ''I got the information that Nigeria would only consider those who were in the country perhaps because of travelling logistics and that is the end of that." Nigeria eventually won the U-17 World Cup but nonetheless would have achieved that with the added 'victory' of locking up one of the world's best young players. Two years later, the rejected stone turned the chief cornerstone as Alaba made his debut for the senior Austria national team in a match against France. He then became the youngest player in the history of the Austrian national team. Alaba has won the Bundesliga title five times as well as the DFB Pokal and the FIFA Club World Cup in 2013.

Adopted Country: Austria

Number of Caps: 42 7.

EMMANUEL OLISADEBE

Emmanuel Olisadebe started his professional career with Jasper United of Onitsha. The Olisadebe family are from Ubulu-Ukwu in Delta State. The player was however granted Polish citizenship in 2000 and was subsequently capped by the Polish national team. Olisadebe scored eight goals in ten qualification matches as coach Jerzy Engel's team reached the 2002 FIFA World Cup, their first since 1986. The 'Polish Bomber' had a successful career with his Polish club Polonia Warsaw where in 2000 he won the Ekstraklasa, Ekstraklasa Cup and Polish Super Cup. Olisadebe scored 11 international goals in 25 caps between 2000 and 2004, and participated in the 2002 FIFA World Cup, where he donned the number 11 jersey. Olisadebe whose name means "May God Keep" in the Igbo language of South eastern Nigeria scored Poland's first goal at the 2002 FIFA World Cup in a 3–1 victory against USA in Daejeon in the last group match, unfortunately for him, Poland failed to progress to the second round of the World Cup.

Adopted Country: Poland

Number of Caps: 25 8.

DELE ALLI
Tottenham Hotspur hotshot Dele Alli has Nigerian blood running through his veins. Full name, Bamidele Alli, the supremely talented midfield prodigy regretfully plays for England and not Nigeria. His name means "Follow me to my House" in Yoruba and the name is given to a child born outside their community , state, or country. On October 1, 2015, while Nigerians were marking the 55th anniversary of the country, England manager Roy Hodgson on that day was busy hatching a plan to deprive Nigeria of one of its best prospects, Alli. The wily Hodgson on Nigeria's Independence Day named the midfielder in his team for their final UEFA Euro 2016 qualifying matches against Estonia and Lithuania. The youngster made his debut against Estonia eight days later, coming on as a late substitute for another 'lost son of Nigeria' Ross Barkley in a 2-0 win. On 17 November 2015, Alli made his first start for the England senior team, scoring the opening goal from a long range shot to beat Spurs team-mate, goalkeeper Hugo Lloris in a 2-0 win against France at Wembley Stadium in the aftermath of the Paris bombing that shook the world. Alli, injury permitting, is nailed-on to make Roy Hodgson's squad for Euro 2016 this summer in France.

Number of Caps: 4

9. OGUCHI ONYENWU Born Oguchialu Chijioke "Gooch" Onyewu on May 13, 1982, Onyewu’s parents moved to the United States from Nigeria to study in Washington, D.C. A US citizen now, Onyenwu made his first senior national team appearance for the US on October 13, 2004, against Panama. Onyewu scored his first international goal in the 2005 Gold Cup in the semifinal against Honduras, and was later named to the tournament Best XI. He is now a free agent after his contract with Charlton Athletic ended.

Adopted Country: USA

Number of Caps: 67

10. STEFANO CHUKA OKAKA
Stefano Chuka Okaka was born on 9 August, 1989 in Castiglione del Lago, Perugia, in Italy to Nigerian parents who hail from Onitsha, Anambra State. Okaka later obtained Italian citizenship due to his family gaining citizenship status. Okaka joined the Roma youth system in 2004. He is currently an Italian international who plays as a striker for Belgian side Anderlecht. The striker's uncle, Uche Okaka, confirmed to Completesportsnigeria.com in Lagos that his nephew was indeed keen to play for the Super Eagles despite being a youth international for Italy but his talks with the Nigeria Football Federation did not yield any positive answer. Okaka made his senior debut for the Italian national team on 18 November, 2014. He made his debut as a substitute, replacing Sebastian Giovinco in the second half, and scored the winning goal at Sampdoria’s ground the Stadio Luigi Ferraris.

Adopted Country: Italy

Number of Caps: 3

11. GABRIEL AGBOLANHOR Gabriel Imuetinyan Agbonlahor was born on 13 October, 1986 to a Nigerian father from Edo State and a Scottish mother and lived all his life at Birmingham. On 19 November, 2008 he made his international debut against Germany. He played for 76 minutes. Since making his debut for England, Agbolanhor has only three caps for the English national team. He made his first appearance in a competitive international on 14 October, 2009, playing 66 minutes in the 3-0 win over Belarus in the last game of qualification for the 2010 World Cup. He was last called up to the squad in November 2011.

Number of Caps: 4
[/b]

Sir Forgiveness are you there?

Chai! I just forgot to reply. Sorry, bros no vex.

*clearing throat* Most of these players refused to play for us or were not approached on time. Some were not even approached at all while some approached by themselves but were denied the opportunity to play for their father's land. Unfortunately, the regetted stone has become the corner stone. From the list, i will pick the exceptional ones we never approached or denied the opportunity when they came begging.

1, David Alaba
2, Dele Ali
3, Ross Barkley
4, Emmanuel Adebayor

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by forgiveness: 7:30pm On Mar 15, 2016
Orkpekyandega:
[b][size=14pt]
LOST IN TRANSIT: 33 Nigerian Footballers Playing For Other Countries
[/size]

Dele Alli will be turning out for England in the European Championship in France later in the year. He could easily be playing for the Super Eagles at next year's Africa Cup of Nations or even the U-23 Eagles at the Rio 2016 Olympics, given his Nigerian blood. The extremely talented Tottenham midfielder is the latest in the line of players of Nigerian descent who chose to play for other countries for one reason or the other. Completesportsnigeria.com's IZUCHUKWU OKOSI digs up a long list of these players with Nigerian blood, who chose to play for countries — some as far-flung as Haiti, Indonesia and Singapore — other than Nigeria…

12. PATRICK OWOMOYELA
The would-he-play, would-he-not play for Nigeria debate regarding Patrick Owomoyela lingered on for quite sometime. The dreadlock-wearing former Borussia Dortmund midfielder has a German mother and a Nigerian father. He won the German Bundesliga titles with Dortmund in the 2010-11 and 2011-12 seasons. Patrick Olukayode Olaiya Owomoleya also played for Lüneburger SK, VfL Osnabrück, SC Paderborn 07, Arminia Bielefeld, SV Werder Bremen and Hamburger SV II. Owomoleya whose middle name, Olukayode means 'God brings me joy' in the Yoruba language made his debut for Germany in an Asian tour, playing 90 minutes in a 3-0 win over Japan, on 16 December, 2004, in Yokohama and was part of the German national team at the 2005 FIFA Confederation Cup. Owomoleya's international career however lasted just two years as he was never invited from 2006 after he was overlooked for a place in the German squad for that year's World Cup finals which Germany hosted.

Number of Caps: 11

13. IKECHI ANYA
Ikechi Anya currently plays international football for Scotland but there is no gainsaying that he is a Nigerian. Scots don't bear the name "Ikechi" or "Anya". Anya plays his club football for Watford, so is a team-mate of Super Eagles striker Odion Ighalo. Anya's parents moved to Scotland in the late 80's so that his father could obtain his doctorate in Metallurgy. Anya chose to play for Scotland where he grew up but was also eligible to play for Romania, the country of his mother who is an Economist.

Adopted Country: Scotland

Number of Caps: 16 14.

NEDUM ONUOHA Queens Park Rangers defender Nedum Onuoha received an international call-up to play for Nigeria in March 2007 but rather he chose to wait for a chance to play for England. The defender born in Warri, Delta State before his parents moved to England has since not been capped by the successive managers of the English national team.

Number of Caps: 21 (U-21)

15. UGO EHIOGU Nigeria lost the chance to have Ugochukwu Ehiogu play for the Super Eagles. A powerful defender who played for English clubs like Middlesbrough, Sheffield United, Aston Villa and Scottish Premier League side Rangers, he also played in the Football League for West Bromwich Albion, Leeds United and Sheffield United, as well as a spell in the Scottish Premier League with Rangers. Ehiogu was capped by England at the senior level four times and he scored one goal. In 2012, he came out of brief retirement by signing for non-league side Wembley to participate in the club's FA Cup games alongside other retired veteran players.

Number of Caps: 4 16.

EMMANUEL SARKI
Former Flying Eagles star Emmanuel Sarki shocked Nigerian football fans when he switched allegiance to Haiti, the country of his maternal grandmother. Sarki was a junior international who represented at the FIFA U-17 World Cup in 2001 alongside Mikel Obi and Chinedu Obasi among others. Sarki claimed he was asked to part with some money before he could play for the Super Eagles. Adopted Country: Haiti Number of Caps: 4 17. INNOCENT EMEGHARA Innocent Nkasiobi Emeghara is a Nigerian-born striker who moved to Switzerland as a teenager and started playing football for the reasons of wanting to cope with the language barrier and cold temperatures. His Nigerian names, Nkasiobi means 'Consolation' while Emeghara means 'Willingness To Let Go'. Adopted Country: Switzerland Number of Caps: 9 18. MAURICE EDU After spending several seasons abroad playing in Scotland, England and Turkey, Maurice (Chin)Edu was called into Jurgen Klinsmann’s provisional 30-man squad for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil but did not make it past the final round of cuts. The former Stoke City midfielder's parents lived in California. Edu’s father played football in Nigeria and both his parents played a huge role in his success on the pitch and in the classroom.

Adopted Country: USA

Number of Cap: 46

19. CARLTON COLE
Aston Villa's Carlton Okorie Cole was invited for Nigeria's joint 2010 World Cup and African Nations Cup qualifiers against South Africa in September 2008 but he failed to honour the call. Cole whose father comes from Rivers State and his mother is from Sierra Leone represented England at the U-21 level but despite not getting the chance to play for England at the senior level then, he turned down the chance to play international football for Nigeria. Luckily for him, he later had few games under his belt in an England shirt but his career has always been enmeshed in one controversy or the other. While playing for the English national team in a friendly against the Black Stars of Ghana, Cole came under fire stating in a twitter rant, a habit that has gotten him into trouble several times, that the game was being used as a means for immigration agents to deport black people back to Africa. He later apologised for his comments and donated to charity in Ghana.

Number of Caps: 7

20. TIAGO ILORI
Liverpool youngster Tiago Ilori hails from a cosmopolitan background, having been born in England with a Nigerian father and Portuguese mother. His full names are Tiago Abiola Delfim Almeida Ilori. He lived in the Iberian country for more than a decade and considers himself Portuguese.

Adopted Country: Portugal

Number of Caps: 10 (U-21) 21.

CASMIR AGU
Casmir Agu became the first Nigerian footballer to be handed the citizenship of Singapore in 2003. He made his debut for the Asians on December 13, 2004 against Laos. In 2007, he reached a century of goals in the Singaporian league.

Adopted Country: Singapore

Number of Caps: 36

22. DICKSON ITIMI
Nigerian-born Dickson Edherefe Itimi made his international bow for Singapore on December 15, 2004 in a 3-0 win against Cambodia. Itimi had received Singapore citizenship under the Foreign Sports Talent Scheme in 2004. Itimi was handed a six-month ban by the Singapore Football Association from playing in the national team when he stayed away from a national team training. The midfielder was in the Singapore squad that won the Tiger Cup regional football championship in 2004.

Number of Caps: 29

23. PRECIOUS EMUEJERAYE
The older brother of Albert Emuejeraye, Precious dumped Nigeria for Singapore when he gave up any hopes of playing international football for Nigeria. Emuejeraye was awarded Singaporian citizenship in December 2005 three years after he began his club career in the country with Jurong FC. Singapore national team coach Radojko Avramovic handed the Nigerian-born defender an international debut in a friendly against Denmark on the 26 January 2006.

Number of Caps: 56

24. JORDON IBE
Liverpool youngster Jordon Ibe in September 2015 opted to represent England at international football despite the best efforts and more of Super Eagles coach Sunday Oliseh to have him play for Nigeria, the country of his father. Ibe who Barclays English Premier League commentators like Jim Beglin, Jon Champion, Peter Drury etc prefer to pronounce as though it rhymes with 'Hybe' had initially hinted of his interest in playing for Nigeria as the Nigeria Football Federation boss Amaju Pinnick journeyed to England to convince Nigerian-born players in the country to switch allegiance to Nigeria. The winger has played for the U-18, U-19 and U-20 sides and is still waiting for a chance at the senior level. There is stiff competition for places in the right wing position of England with Ibe clearly not one of the three favourites to claim a place in Roy Hodgson's team for the Euro 2016 Championship with Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade Chamberlain and other players ahead of him. The verdict here is that unless Hodgson's first choice right wingers suffer crushing injuries before Euro 2016, Ibe will wait a bit longer to play international football for his preferred nation.

Number of Caps: 3 (U-21)

25. GEORGE NDAH George Ndah was born in England on December 23, 1974 but his parents, Completesportsnigeria.com scooped from a source known to the family, are from Asaba, Delta State. Ndah played in the Premier League for Crystal Palace and in the Football League for Bournemouth, Gillingham, Swindon Town and Wolverhampton Wanderers. In 1999 he was called up to play for the Super Eagles but injury prevented him from making his debut and he was never selected again. Ndah has an older brother, Jamie, who also played at a lower league level with Horsham, Torquay United and Barnet among others.

Number of Caps: 1 26.

VICTOR IGBONEFO Nigerian-born Victor Chukwuekezie Igbonefo changed nationality in October 2011 following an impressive first season at Indonesian club, Persipura Jayapura. Before travelling to Indonesia, he had played for First Bank Football Club of Lagos. Currently playing for Siam Navy, a professional football club in Indonesia, Igbonefo's decision to play for Indonesia's national team was ostensibly for the fact that he was playing at the local scene in Nigeria and could not at least break into one of the Nigerian age-grade teams where he could have had the chance to graduate to the senior levels. An opportunity to travel out was irresistible and that came with the added knowledge that he could play regularly for a modest national team like Indonesia.

Adopted Country: Indonesia Number of Caps: 1

27. GREG NWOKOLO Greg Nwokolo was born in Onitsha, Anambra State but he travelled to Indonesia to play professional football in Indonesia. He made his debut for the Indonesia national football team in the 2015 AFC Asian Cup qualification campaign against Saudi Arabia on 23 March 2013. The Football Association of Indonesia had a lot of convincing to do before Nwokolo accepted to play for the Asians.

Adopted Country: Indonesia

Number of Caps: 37

28. DIGGER IFEANYI OKONKWO
Nigerian-born Ifeanyi Okonkwo plays international football for Malta. Curiously named Digger (not nickname) Ifeanyi Okonkwo is a Nigerian-born player of Igbo extraction who made his Maltese national team debut on 21 August 1999. Digger played for six Maltese clubs before his retirement.

Adopted Country: Malta

Number of Caps 4

29. RUBIN OKOTIE Rubin Okotie was born to a Nigerian father from Benin, Edo City and a mother from Austria. Okotie now plays for the Austrian national team alongside David Alaba. Okotie spent the first four years of his life in the Spanish city of Barcelona. As a result of his multinational background he is eligible to represent three countries at national level, namely Austria, Nigeria and Pakistan. However Okotie identifies himself primarily as Austrian, stating that "I live there, it's where I have my friends, and I think of myself as Austrian" in an interview with FIFA's website.

Adopted Country: Austria

Number of Caps: 14

30. LAWRENCE CHIMEZIE AKANDU

Lawrence began his career as a defender but plays as a striker these days, albeit in the twilight of his career. The player started his career at Sharks FC before journeying to Poland to sign for Wisla Krakow. He took up citizenship of Hong Kong after leaving Poland for Hong Kong in 1994 and scored on his debut for Hong Kong national team in the East Asian Football Championship 2003 against Korea Republic on 4 December 2003. Akandu currently plays for currently playing for Hoi Fan in the Hong Kong League.

Adopted Country: Hong Kong

Number of Caps: 7

31. STEPHEN ADEMOLU Stephen Ademolu is a Nigerian-born Canadian international who interestingly is a sports journalist who plays for Windsor Football Club in the Canadian League 1. The former U-23 star made his senior debut for Canada in November 2005 against Luxembourg. Ademolu whose mother is Jamaican has six brothers and one sister. His twin brother O'Nicholas also played for the CSU Vikings. His cousin Michael Carter plays football for the Montreal Allouettes.

Adopted Country: Canada

Number of Caps: 8

32. CHINEDU EDE FC Twente winger Chinedu Ede has a Nigerian father and a German mother. Ede took up German nationality and has represented Germany at youth levels. The player has played from the U-17 to U-23 teams of Germany and was part of the German side that won the UEFA Under-21 Championship in 2009.

Number of Caps: 4 (U-21)

33. COLLY BARNES EZEH Nigerian-born striker Colly Barnes Ezeh took up the nationality of Hong Kong and made his international debut on November 15, 2006 in a 2-0 win against Bangladesh. Ezeh currently plays for FC Shatin, his second spell at the club.

Adopted Country: Hong Kong

Number of Caps: 1
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/lost-in-transit-33-nigerian-footballers-playing-for-other-countries/
[/b]

Sir Forgiveness are you there?

I hope we don't loose Tiago Ilori and Jordon Ibe. jordan-ibe self no get sense. Why does he want to waste his career waiting to play for England. Oh! He wants to go to Europe Cup ahead of some established English players.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:08pm On Mar 15, 2016
I will say it and say it again. If any foreign player wants to play for Nigeria, let him declare his allegiance to the Green White Green Jersey, just as Leon Balogun did.

We can not tour the World begging players to play for the country, when we have numerous players queued to wear the jersey and make the country proud.

I do not miss them. Wish them success in their careers.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by tbaba1234: 9:01pm On Mar 15, 2016
Ross Barkley declared interest to play for Nigeria a long time ago before he became a big name, No one followed up. Otigba refused Hungary for Nigeria, We still have not called him.

There is a lot of politics involved in getting call-ups.

TheGoodJoe:
I will say it and say it again. If any foreign player wants to play for Nigeria, let him declare his allegiance to the Green White Green Jersey, just as Leon Balogun did.
We can not tour the World begging players to play for the country, when we have numerous players queued to wear the jersey and make the country proud.
I so not miss them. Wish them success in their careers.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 9:13pm On Mar 15, 2016
tbaba1234:
Ross Barkley declared interest to play for Nigeria a long time ago before he became a big name, No one followed up. Otigba refused Hungary for Nigeria, We still have not called him.

Just like Oliseh said, the 'evil' NFF have players they intend to call up so they can 'chop'. They have no time to scout and call up good players with dual citizenship even if those players raise their hands.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by forgiveness: 9:46pm On Mar 15, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Hmm! The same way Victor Moses declared his allegiance to play for Nigeria. Where are those that declared their allegiance to the green white green jersey? Otigba, Ehizibue.... Infact, i just dey observe Nigerian coaches.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by forgiveness: 9:47pm On Mar 15, 2016
tbaba1234:

Help me tell them.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by forgiveness: 9:50pm On Mar 15, 2016
joseph1013:
Just like Oliseh said, the 'evil' NFF have players they intend to call up so they can 'chop'. They have no time to scout and call up good players with dual citizenship even if those players raise their hands.

Infact 'chop' is the right word. Everybody wan 'chop'.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:57pm On Mar 15, 2016
tbaba1234:

Please can you give a link of Ross Barkley declaring to play for Nigeria. I never heard of it.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:06pm On Mar 15, 2016
tbaba1234:

As for Otigba, he is Nigerian born. It is easier calling them and getting them to play for us. Just as we saw with Victor Moses. If Otigba continues to excel, he will get his chance.

The Super Eagles have not had a steady management to give the coach time to keep trying players.

As for those born abroad, someone like Tiago Ilori, they have to show interest like Balogun. We called up Balogun because he said he was only playing for Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:13pm On Mar 15, 2016
TIAGO ILORI

Liverpool youngster Tiago Ilori hails from a cosmopolitan background, having been born in England with a Nigerian father and Portuguese mother. His full names are Tiago Abiola Delfim Almeida Ilori.

He lived in the Iberian country for more than a decade and considers himself Portuguese.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 6:23am On Mar 16, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

No. Send him back to the Super Eagles. The U23 attack is screaming attack overload. Glad to see the young Godwin Obaje impressed in training with the Super Eagles. Real good news.
They are afraid he might snap Chikatara's spot. gringrin

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 6:36am On Mar 16, 2016
tbaba1234:
The NFF has serious issues, no self respecting coach will endure them for long.
You can imagine, they didn't pay Coach Sunday Oliseh the 20Million Naira, but went ahead to publish same in national dailies. The worse of it all is that even when Oliseh kept telling them, he hasn't been paid persistently, they continued insisting he collected the money without facts. These people are not fit to manage our football. How I wish Oliseh did not withdraw the suit he filed against the NFF. I blame some of his close allies who persuaded him to drop the charges against "the most corrupt sports institution in Africa" The NFF needs to be exposed and probed.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 8:35am On Mar 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Odibe Intensifies Relegation Fight For Romanian Club, Concordia
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:

Michael Odibe is confident that his Romanian side Concordia Chiajna will avoid relegation despite being stuck in the relegation playoff spot in the Romanian Liga 1.

Odibe has played four games for his side who currently sit sixth on the log, churning in one win, a draw and a defeat. And the player insists his self belief is as strong as ever.

"I think we'll be fine. I believe from now until the end of the season we will win a few games, because of the way we're playing, and the players we've got," Odibe who signed a three months contract with Concordia Chiajna began in a chat with Completesportsnigeria.com.

"The new signings will help in lifting us. But there's no point just saying we've got good players, you have to go out and perform.

The rewards are so big that the lads should enjoy that pressure, if they can, and make sure we kick on and try and win games.

"I think we just need to continue doing what we're doing. And it's important we stay positive, which we will do," Odibe told Completesportsnigeria.com.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/odibe-intensifies-relegation-fight-romanian-club-concordia/
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 8:42am On Mar 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Ighalo Partners Eto’O In African Team Of The Week
[/size]

There were fantastic performances by African stars in various leagues and Cup competitions in Europe last weekend.

Completesportsnigeria .com's IZUCHUKWU OKOSI highlight the outstanding performers for this week's edition of African Team Of The Week series.

GOAL
Rais M'bolhi (Antalyaspor, Turkey)
Algeria keeper Rais M'bolhi was exemplary in Antalyaspor's 3-0 thrashing of Bursasporon Monday night.

The 29-year-old goalkeeper who has over 50 national team caps for the Desert Foxes was instrumental in his team's counter attacking moves as his long passes and distribution were key.
M'bolhi touched the ball 36 times and distributed at the rate of 75%.

DEFENCE
Lamine Gassama (Lorient, France)
Lamine Gassama was impressive in Lorient's 1-1 home draw against Olympique Marseille on Saturday though he was booked (yellow) in the 82nd minute.

The 25-year-old defender made four tackles, five interceptions and one clearance in the game. He committed two fouls.

It was his 25th Ligue 1 appearance of the season. He touched the ball 48 times, completed 35 of his passes and played seven long balls into the opposition half, four of them accurate.

Medhi Benatia (Bayern Munich, Germany)
Morocco's Medhi Benatia who had been dogged by injury is back fully fit and was a rock in Bayern Munich's defence as they romped to a 5-0 whitewash of Anthony Ujah's Werder Bremen at the Allianz Arena.

Benatia stopped the Nigerian in his tracks in some of their 'battles' on Saturday. Both Africans played for 90 minutes over the weekend.

John Boye (Sivasspor, Turkey)
Black Stars of Ghana central defender John Boye had a good individual performance in Sivasspor's 1-0 win against Nigeria's Kenneth Omeruo's Kasimpasaon Monday night.

Boye was yellow-carded five minutes after the start of the second half but his defensive game was impressive. He made six tackles, 11 clearances but committed two fouls, one of them leading to his eighth booking in 17 league games.

MIDFIELD
Cheikhou Kouyate (West Ham, England)
Manchester United's Anthony Martial may have been awarded the official Man-of-the-Match prize in the FA Cup quarter final first leg clash between Man United and West Ham United which ended in a 1-1 draw but Cheikhou Kouyate was a shield for the Hammers in the defensive midfield role on Sunday.

The Senegalese made five defensive tackles, three interceptions and one clearance. He committed two fouls in the game and was fouled once himself whilst he drove forward with the ball. Kouyate completed 26 of his passes (88.5% accurate) and launched one long ball into the Red Devils half.

The draw forces a replay for both teams with the winner playing against Everton in the semi finals at Wembly Stadium next weekTuesday(March 22).

Kwado Asamoah (Juventus, Italy)
Black Stars of Ghana midfielder Kwado Asamoah was impressive in Juventus' 1-0 home win against Sassuoloon Friday eveningat the Juventus Stadium.

The midfielder had one shot on target and made two key passes. He was always driving forward with the ball and made one tackle and two interceptions.

The midfielder committed three fouls and was fouled once himself. Asamoah completed 30 of his passes (86.7% accurate).

Adlène Guédioura (Everton, England)
Algeria's Adlène Guédioura scored what could go down as one of the best goals in the history of the FA Cup on Sunday against Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium with a 63rd minute thunderbolt that left David Ospina helpless.

The powerful strike was the Algerian's only shot in the game. He completed two dribbles and was fouled two times. He was however disposed five times.
Guédioura completed 19 of his passes.

The win ensured that Arsenal's hopes of a third successive FA Cup triumph was ruined.

Aminu Umar (Osmanlispor, Turkey)
Former Flying Eagles of Nigeria winger Aminu Umar continued his fine form for Turkish side Osmanlispor over the weekend as he scored a brace in a 3-2 away win against Istanbul Basaksehiron Saturday evening.

The pacey forward who was once on the books of Wikki Tourists of Bauchi scored in the 20th and 38th minutes. He also assisted a goal in the 84th minute scored by Senegal's Papa Alioune Ndiaye.

This performance earned him the Man-of-the-Match award, his third 'MOtM' award of the season. The double strike now takes his tally to three in the season after 19 league appearances.

His compatriot and another former Flying Eagles midfielder Raheem Lawal was in action in the game but was substituted in the 63rd minute.
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 8:45am On Mar 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt].[/size]Mohamed Salah (AS Roma, Italy)
Egypt's superstar Mohamed Salah was outstanding for AS Roma in their 2-1 away win against Udinese at the Dacia Arena on Sunday.

The Pharaoh who is expected to be influential for Egypt in their 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers Nigeria assisted Edin Dzeko's 15th minute opener though he was substituted in the 91st minute for Kevin Strootman.

Aside his assist, Salah made three key passes and had one shot on target. His heat map shows he touched the ball 68 times and completed 48 passes.

ATTACK
Samuel Eto'o (Antalyaspor,Turkey)
Four time African Footballer of the Year Samuel Eto'o scored a brace but also missed a penalty in Antalyaspor's 3-0 home win against Bursasporon Monday nightat the Antyla Stadium.

The Cameroon legend scored in the 68th and 89th minutes of the game which now takes his tally in the current league season in Turkey to 16 in 24 matches. He was however handed his fifth yellow card of the season in the 76th minute.

Eto'o's heat map shows that he touched the ball 52 times in 90 minutes. Three of his four shots were on target while he made one key pass. The skillful forward won one aerial duel and had 39 pass completion.

Odion Ighalo (Watford, England)
Super Eagles of Nigeria's Odion Ighalo had scored just one FA Cup and one Premier League goal prior to last Sunday's FA Cup quarter finals clash against holders Arsenal.

However the striker chose this occasion to break his duck as he scored the Hornets' first of two goals in a 2-1 victory at the Emirates.

Ighalo turned brilliantly with Gabriel marking him and fired a low shot past David Ospina in Arsenal goal in the 50th minute.

Though Ighalo hobbled off with a suspected thigh problem, he did enough to earn high ratings in the game.

The Nigerian played three shots and completed 16 of his passes (81.3%). He touched the ball 30 times before he was substituted.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/ighalo-partners-etoo-african-team-week/
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Icon4s(m): 8:59am On Mar 16, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I am with you on this case. Nigeria is blessed with talents numerous to count both those in Nigeria and other parts of the world.
Most of those guys mentioned on that list of player that would have played for Nigeria are not even good enough to make the Eagles Team. Yes I say so.

Nigeria has only one Super Eagles Team so there is no way every Nigerian born player can play for the Super Eagles. Do you know the over hundreds or thousands of Nigerian born players that would have worn the green and white Jerseys that didn't have the opportunity?

As Orkpekyandega gave a list of players that play for other countries I can also give a list of players that got converted to play for Nigeria more recently:

1. Peter Osaze Odemwingie
2. Victor Anichebe
3. George Abe
4. Shola Ameobi
5. Steven Ukoh
6. Victor Moses
7. Alex Iwobi
8. Leon Balogun
9. Sone Aluko

We cannot ignore our Nigerian born talents and keep capping the foreign born ones.
In a situation where a player has declared an international future with a foreign country do we expect the NFF to go down on their knees begging?

The NFF and our coaches can only try to cap the exceptional ones that are available AS THE NEED ARISES.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by enomakos(m): 12:11pm On Mar 16, 2016
NLban:

You can imagine, they didn't pay Coach Sunday Oliseh the 20Million Naira, but went ahead to publish same in national dailies. The worse of it all is that even when Oliseh kept telling them, he hasn't been paid persistently, they continued insisting he collected the money without facts. These people are not fit to manage our football. How I wish Oliseh did not withdraw the suit he filed against the NFF. I blame some of his close allies who persuaded him to drop the charges against "the most corrupt sports institution in Africa" The NFF needs to be exposed and probed.
the "most corrupt sports institution in africa"
the term fits

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 12:40pm On Mar 16, 2016
forgiveness:

I hope we don't loose Tiago Ilori and Jordon Ibe. jordan-ibe self no get sense. Why does he want to waste his career waiting to play for England. Oh! He wants to go to Europe Cup ahead of some established English players.
Why I did love the decision to invite our home based stars to get a fair share of the national teams, I just feel it shouldn't be at the expense of our foreign born stars whom we know will always make great impact if invited. Just imagine if we did not loose most of these foreign born players with Nigerian origin, our squad would have been hoter.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by forgiveness: 12:54pm On Mar 16, 2016
justiz5:

Why I did love the decision to invite our home based stars to get a fair share of the national teams,[b] I just feel it shouldn't be at the expense of our foreign born stars whom we know will always make great impact if invited. Just imagine if we did not loose most of these foreign born players with Nigerian origin, our squad would have been hoter.[/b]

That's the point. But it seems that is what our coaches are doing. At the expense of good players.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 1:21pm On Mar 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Mikel key for Nigeria to see off Egypt - Utaka
[/size]

Mikel in action for Chelsea

Former Nigeria international John Utaka has predicted Chelsea midfielder Mikel Obi will play a pivotal role for the Super Eagles to beat Egypt in decisive AFCON 2017 qualifiers later this month.

The former Ismaily of Egypt forward said the Chelsea midfielder knows what is expected of him in the middle of the park.

“We have quick players in the attack as well but I think Obi Mikel will be the key to Nigeria’s play because he knows his midfield duties," Utaka told Kingfut.com

Despite choosing Mohammed Salah as Egypt’s main threat for Nigeria, Utaka revealed his admiration for two other players on the Pharaohs squad.

“Mohamed Salah will be dangerous because he is quick and very dangerous on counter attacks,” the former Portsmouth star said.

“Ahmed Fathy and Amr Gamal have been very impressive.”
http://africanfootball.com/news/619502/Mikel-key-for-Nigeria-to-see-off-Egypt-Utaka
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 1:37pm On Mar 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
CAF Salutes Iheanacho, Toure, Bony Over UCL Q/Finals Feat With Man City
[/size]

By James Agberebi:

Confederation of Africa Football (CAF), has sent a congratulatory message to the continent 's shining Stars in the ongoing UCL; Kelechi Iheanacho, Yaya Toure and Wilfred Bony whose contributions have been instrumental in Manchester City's qualification for the quarter-finals of the UEFA Champions League, for the very first time.

City edged Ukrainian side Dynamo Kyiv 3-1 on aggregate, to progress to the last eight.

Toure played the full 90 minutes of the match, Bony was benched throughout the encounter while Iheanacho was not in the squad for the quarter-final match.

Responding the players' achievement, CAF wrote on their official Twitter handle: "Congrats Yaya Toure, Wilfred Bony, Kelechi Iheanacho, helping Manchester City reach the quarter-finals of the Champions League for the first time."

Manchester City, the 2016 Capital One Cup winners, now joins Real Madrid, Wolfsburg, Benfica, Paris Saint-Germaine and Atletico Madrid in the quarter-finals.

The remaining two quarter-finalists will emerge tonight after Barcelona Vs Arsenal and Bayern Munich Vs Juventus games.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/caf-salutes-iheanacho-toure-bony-ucl-qfinals-feat-man-city/#vu8ULeY7TEl5K1pA.99
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 1:42pm On Mar 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Cuper rolls out monster squad for Nigeria

by Andrew Randa
[/size]

Cuper

Egypt coach Hector Cuper has selected a 23 man team for the March 25 Africa Cup of Nations Group G qualifier against Nigeria in Kaduna.

Roma’s Mohammed Salah and Arsenal’s Mohammed Elneny headline a squad dominated by players from Zamalek and Al Ahly.

Veteran goalkeeper Mohammed El Hadary made the cut which is a reward for his stellar performances in the Egyptian top flight this season

Egyptian fans

First choice goalkeeper Sherif Ekramy has shaken off a knock and will be available for the game against the Super Eagles.

Egypt will fly out to Nigeria on March 23 for the March 25 encounter against the Super Eagles in Kaduna. The return leg takes place on March 29 in Alexandria.

The Pharaohs sit on top of Group G of the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations with six points from two games while Nigeria are in second place, two points behind the leaders.

The full squad
Goalkeepers:Essam El Hadary (Wadi Degla); Ahmed El Shenawy (Zamalek) , Mohamed El Shenawy (Petrojet).
Defenders: Hazem Emam (Zamalek); Ahmed Dwedar (Zamalek) , Ahmed Hegazy (Al Ahly) , Omar Gaber (Zamalek) , Rami Raiea (Al Ahly) , Sbary Rahil _Al Ahly) , Aly Gabr (Zamalek) , Hamada Tolba (Zamalek).

Midfielders: Hossam Ghaly (Ahly); Abdullah Al Saied (Al Ahly) , Ibrahim Salah (Smouha) , Mohamed Elneny _Arsenal) , Mohamed Salah (Roma) , Mahmoud Hassan Terezguet (Anderlechet) , Tarek Hamed (Zamalek) , Ramadan Sobhy (Al Ahly) , Moastafa Fathy (Zamalek) , Aymen Hefny (Zamalek) , Amr Warda (Penaliokos)

Strikers Marwan Mohsen (Ismaily);Ahmed Hassan ‘Kouka’ (SC Braga) , Amr Gamal (Al Ahly).
http://www.supersport.com/football/egypt/news/160316/Cuper_rolls_out_monster_squad_for_Nigeria
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 1:42pm On Mar 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Eagles release Chima Akas, Thomas to Enyimba
[/size]
by Samm Audu

The Super Eagles training camp in Abuja has released defender Chima Akas and goalkeeper Femi Thomas for Enyimba’s CAF Champions League first round return leg match at Vital’O of Burundi this weekend.

The Eagles are preparing for an AFCON double-header against Egypt later this month.

“Akas and Femi Thomas have been released to Enyimba for their Champions League return leg match in Burundi,” announced Eagles spokesman Toyin Ibitoye.

Akas is expected to slug out with Monaco ace Elderson Echiejile for the Eagles starting XI spot at left back.

Enyimba trounced Vital’O 5-1 on Sunday with the return leg in Bujumbura this weekend.

The overall winners will face the overall winners between Morocco’s Olympique Khourigba and Etoile du Sahel from Tunisia with the eventual winners reaching the money-spinning group stage of the Champions League.

Etoile held Khourigba to a 1-1 draw in the first leg in Morocco.
http://africanfootball.com//news/619435/Eagles-release-Chima-Akas-Thomas-to-Enyimba
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 3:35pm On Mar 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria Serie A 2015/2016 Zamalek
My Zamalek mates more dangerous than Salah warns Moruf Yusuf
[/size]
Zamalek Nigerian midfielder Moruf Yusuf has warned that teammates Mostafa Fathy and Ayman Hefny are much more dangerous than Mohammed Salah, who most Nigerians consider as the biggest threat to the Super Eagles.

Nigeria welcome Egypt to Kaduna on March 25, before they are guests of the Pharaohs in Alexandria four days later in crucial AFCON 2017 qualifiers.

The talk has been all about AS Roma forward Salah, but Yusuf told AfricanFootball.com that this could well work against Nigeria as the seven-time champions boast of two dangerous wingers who on their own could wreck the Eagles.

"Egypt is not all about Mohammed Salah. All I have been hearing is Salah…Salah…but that will be a big mistake if we see Salah as the only threat from Egypt,” said Yusuf, who won the league and cup double with Zamalek last season.

"Egypt have good wingers who are skillful and fast. They are the dangerous ones Eagles must pin down, the likes of Mostafa Fathy and Ayman Hefny. They are far more dangerous than Salah as far as I am concerned."

On Wednesday, both Fathy and Hefny were named by Hector Cuper in the final Egypt squad for the showdown with Nigeria.
Zamalek have nine players on the 25-man squad.

On the news that he is being monitored by Nigeria for a possible Eagles call-up, the Zamalek midfielder said: "I feel good about that. Many of my friends have talked to me about the news. It will be a dream come true for me. I know there is time for everything."
By Olusola Alao
africanfootball.com/news/619543/My-Zamalek-mates-more-dangerous-than-Salah-warns-Moruf-Yusuf

[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 3:45pm On Mar 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
NFF blasts Oliseh over players’ imposition claims
[/size]

Chris Green

The Nigeria Football Federation has rejected claims by former Super Eagles’ Coach, Sunday Oliseh that the NFF Technical and Development Committee tried to impose players on him.

Chairman of the NFF Technical and Development Committee, Chris Green, wondered when his Committee made moves to impose players on the former trainer.

“I can vouch for Felix Anyansi-Agwu, who was chairman of the committee before me, that he is not that type of person. I was made chairman on January 16 and traveled to Rwanda on January 17, when the team for the CHAN had been composed. The Super Eagles have not played any match since CHAN. So, when did we have time to try and impose players on him?

“We are not in anyway moved by his vituperations. He claims we did not provide him information with regards to Egypt, but how come we have been able to provide Siasia with the same? He should respect himself and move on.”

Green, a ranking member of the NFF Executive Committee, added: “We welcomed Oliseh with so much warmth and so much regard for his person. It is sad that he has failed to reciprocate, even at departure. He is simply full of too much talk.

“He should stop leapfrogging into unfamiliar territories, such as his mention of capacity–building program. That program was fully sponsored by corporate bodies and was never at the expense of anyone’s benefits.”

Sunday Oliseh

Green made it clear that the NFF would soon write to Oliseh to demand a refund of the five million naira paid him in lieu of his accommodation in Nigeria, and the February 2016 salary (another five million naira) that should serve in lieu of his one–month notice of resignation.

He also sneezed at Oliseh’s self-adulation in claiming that he put Nigeria first in his work. “How did he put Nigeria first in everything he did showed in the way he abandoned ship with only weeks to crucial games.

“It is clear he wants to remain in the news for no other reason than to distract the NFF and the team from concentrating on these two crucial matches. It is very easy for people to grandstand and claim to be more patriotic and altruistic than others, but the true test remains what such people do when the chips are down.

“Oliseh showed a lack of heart in the way he left. And he was purely grandstanding when claiming some persons spoke to him to drop a law suit, when he knew from the beginning that he had no case.”
www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2016/03/15/nff-blasts-oliseh-over-players-imposition-claims/
[/b]

(1) (2) (3) ... (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) ... (161) (Reply)

Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting? / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Boy Wins 43 Million Naira On Bet9ja In Benue With Just 100 Naira(sreenshots)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 195
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.