Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,368 members, 7,900,969 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 08:25 PM

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries - Travel (311) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries (549593 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (308) (309) (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) ... (317) (Go Down)

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by rowlandoo: 10:19am On Nov 30, 2011
YOU SHALL SEE THROUGH , uNDRGRADUATE OR pg
SHARE UR SUCESS AFTER
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by imperiouxx(m): 10:52am On Nov 30, 2011
Kreamie:

It's almost time for my interview, Please y'all should pray for me kiss

You shall come out of that embassy victorious.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by webstradamus: 11:01am On Nov 30, 2011
imperiouxx:

You shall come out of that embassy victorious.

And I say a big AMEN to that!!!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by javeset: 11:11am On Nov 30, 2011
@mysterysng, Thanks for the update. Meanwhile this is what I really need right now. I mean some info about the port of entry. As I normally explore ICE's website that is (IMMIGRATION AND CUSTOMS ENFORCEMENT) I saw a lot of things which making me to scared about my arrival in the US in about two weeks now. I'll like to ask you some important questions which I'd need you give me answers on them because you've passed through it. But I'll like us to discus the issue on Ymessanger or Facebook. Please tell me which one you prefer and let me your ID so that I can add you.

Please this very important, I am so worry about this situation because I do not know yet, what I am going meet at the port of entry. sad
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Square65: 11:12am On Nov 30, 2011
Kreamie:

It's almost time for my interview, Please y'all should pray for me  kiss

Oh yes we are praying for u and also waiting for your success story!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by deevick246(m): 11:20am On Nov 30, 2011
Kreamie:

It's almost time for my interview, Please y'all should pray for me kiss

I wish you well.
javeset:

@mysterysng, Thanks for the update. Meanwhile this is what I really need right now. I mean some info about the port of entry. As I normally explore ICE's website that is (IMMIGRATION AND CUSTOMS ENFORCEMENT) I saw a lot of things which making me to scared about my arrival in the US in about two weeks now. I'll like to ask you some important questions which I'd need you give me answers on them because you've passed through it. But I'll like us to discus the issue on Ymessanger or Facebook. Please tell me which one you prefer and let me your ID so that I can add you.

Please this very important, I am so worry about this situation because I do not know yet, what I am going meet at the port of entry. sad

Pls add me on your YM for a chat, my username here is same over there.Thanks
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by javeset: 11:30am On Nov 30, 2011
If you can give me advise on my situation, please let's chat on YM. Can you let me know your ID?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by deevick246(m): 11:38am On Nov 30, 2011
@ mysterysng
My message was directed at you.Let's have a chat on YM.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by imperiouxx(m): 11:47am On Nov 30, 2011
javeset:

If you can give me advise on my situation, please let's chat on YM. Can you let me know your ID?

Yea, I can now remember you. You asked for advise concerning issue with your visa in July. Hope everything is settled now and I'm sure it's the reason you are curious about POE.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by cophild: 12:05pm On Nov 30, 2011
@Javeset I believe it ll b nice if u can ask ur question on d forum so wen answers re provided it can help evri1, @ least dats d reason for creating d thread, @Kreamie, God ll c u thru!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by wealthpos(f): 2:19pm On Nov 30, 2011
Hello everyone,, Someone told me that I must take along all my school fees because they will check it at the POE.Please do you have an idea of how much they expect you to have as a student entering the US,apart from your school fees,and is it compulsory to hold your school fees in cash when traveling?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by rowlandoo: 2:41pm On Nov 30, 2011
good link in there?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by imperiouxx(m): 2:42pm On Nov 30, 2011
wealthpos,

A school can have 4 different methods of payment, so by that you can select the one convenient for you. If you like you go with all your fee at once. Sometime ago I was told you may declare or not the amount you are traveling along with at the airport.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by worry246(m): 2:58pm On Nov 30, 2011
wealthpos
No REPUTABLE school is going to ask you to cary cash to pay fees.
Carrying cash risks being robbed (Probably at Nigerian airport by security)
You should arrainge for money to be in a bank account or as a cheque.

What POE may check is that you have funds avaliable. What they will want to see is bank statement or something.
If you flash wads of cash money you are asking to be robbed by someone.

If your school insists on cash payment then be very worried.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by mysterysng: 4:05pm On Nov 30, 2011
Like it was suggested, You could post the questions here about POE so everyone can benefit. Moreover, I have exams due pretty soon so it will be difficult to chat with individual guys when I can just answer everything at once.

I will advise DO NOT CARRY MUCH CASH ON YOU WHEN TRAVELLING. Asides safety issues, there are a million and one convenient ways to pay your school fees. I don't know if this applies to all schools but for my school, deadline payment wasn't till after 3 weeks into resumption. You can always open a dorm account in Nigeria and pay directly for your school fees. Some banks have that option of helping students pay for school fees. eg access bank. Be sure to get enough information. Also, you can open a dorm account and then when you get here and open an account (which takes about 15 minutes), you can always do a transfer of funds from your Nigeria account to your USA account (some charges might be incurred) but really guys, just go to banks in Nigeria and find out available options. It is 2011, things are more convenient than carrying cash around. In the USA, liquid cash is not a common occurrence. E- transactions is the order of the day. You have a limit of carrying 10k dollars (I am not sure about that- google it) when coming into the USA. So even if it is your school fees if you exceed that amount, you have to declare (and I don't know the procedure for that) so why bother yourself if you have other, more convenient options? NO ONE WILL CHECK YOUR SCHOOL FEES AT POINT OF ENTRY!!! That is not the immigration guy's job description. He is only to ensure you comply with proper immigration status. Your I 20 shows that you have your fees available(cos u sent statement of account showing you have that).

You can hold enough cash to see you through till when you can transfer funds. I have family here so I had on me barely $500. Every other amount, I transferred when I got here but this might not apply to you especially if you have to rent an apartment immediately or if you have to self cater for yourself initially.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by imperiouxx(m): 4:31pm On Nov 30, 2011
Kreamie,

Still waiting to hearing from you naow.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by TranceD: 4:42pm On Nov 30, 2011
@house: I got my visa today @ lagos consulate, will post the details later
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by imperiouxx(m): 5:13pm On Nov 30, 2011
To Almighty God for helping a brother in need today
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by webstradamus: 5:14pm On Nov 30, 2011
TranceD:

@house: I got my visa today @ lagos consulate,  will post the details later

Congrats!!! Another win for NL in Lagos. Seems all the victories are all coming from Lagos, what's up Abuja
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by imperiouxx(m): 5:19pm On Nov 30, 2011
TranceD,

Now, what are we popping?!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Square65: 5:29pm On Nov 30, 2011
TranceD:

Congrats bro and welcome to d club! and who's next?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Square65: 5:34pm On Nov 30, 2011
TranceD:

Hello guys, my emergency request was approved today and i was able to book for 30th Nov. Can i go with an account statement with October date?

Was it d oct-dated statii u eventually went with? anyway let's hear ur story soon. guys are anxious to take a cue from u.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by cophild: 5:44pm On Nov 30, 2011
Wow! Wow, Congrats TranceD,God is good
@Kreamie we still waiting for the Good news smiley

@mystreysng, Thanks for all d info U giving us bou d whole POE ish

@House, I ll advice we go wit very lil cash wen travelling and prolly get a master card or dorm acc which ll help us transfer funds, For Me,I plan to use my GT Master Card, I hear it is quite easy using that bu u ll jst incure some form of charges wen using an atm but for POS,it is free using ur card!
D world is now a cashless society , na only naija and some other countries still dey use cash o

More good news In Jesus Name!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by deevick246(m): 6:41pm On Nov 30, 2011
TranceD:

Congratulation to you. Where is the party at?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Square65: 7:06pm On Nov 30, 2011
cophild:

Wow! Wow, Congrats TranceD,God is good
@Kreamie we still waiting for the Good news smiley

@mystreysng, Thanks for all d info U giving us bou d whole POE ish

@House, I ll advice we go wit very lil cash wen travelling and prolly get a master card or dorm acc which ll help us transfer funds, For Me,I plan to use my GT Master Card, I hear it is quite easy using that bu u ll jst incure some form of charges wen using an atm but for POS,it is free using your card!
D world is now a cashless society , na only naija and some other countries still dey use cash o

More good news In Jesus Name!

"Copy-cat" lol
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by cophild: 7:22pm On Nov 30, 2011
@Square, ℓ☺ℓ, Bu I think d Master Card mks d diff nw! So not fully copied Ooooooo!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Square65: 8:09pm On Nov 30, 2011
cophild:

@Square, ℓ☺ℓ, Bu I think d Master Card mks d diff nw! So not fully copied Ooooooo!

why would i want to go with a gt card if it's not a mastercard? really it just makes life easy but one needs to be careful cos each atm transaction outside d country costs abt $7
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by kinkyfrag: 8:29pm On Nov 30, 2011
@house, my next interview is tomorrow in abuja and PLSSSS i need an urgent reply to this enquiry;Am a 22yrs old  Bsc holder in microbiology and i was admitted for pre-medical studies which will enable me get into medical school in us because you are suppose to have an undergraduate degree here or a major together with a premedical study when you get to us. On my previous interview i was denied on the grounds of not going to come back to nigeria because the pre-med studies is for 2years, while the medical school is for 4years making it a total of 6yrs and i was previously ask;                                                                                                                                                                                  1. you have an undergraduate degree already, why going for another?                                                                         2. After your pre-med studies, which of the medical school will you attend? previously, i named a particular in the same state where i am to study the premed.  PLZ HELP!!!!!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by cophild: 9:46pm On Nov 30, 2011
@square, dats a lot of money o, Any banker in d ouse who can advice on d best metod to transfer money, I.e dorm Acc or using a master card, which ll b better and cheaper?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by cophild: 10:32pm On Nov 30, 2011
@kinkyfrag , U got alottA merits on ur side, Jst let d VO knw d reasons y u wanna go study medicine in d US

1, It has always been ur passion bu cos of d difficulty in getting medicine in Nigeria so u wont b idle u decided to go do Microbiology and also got to d internet while on ur microbiology course where u got schools in d US dat were willing to admit U to achieve ur childhood dreams, Nw u ve decided to jump on d boat and read ur passionate course

Bro, Ur age is good jst b more confident and look for more points
I can mention alot
Better medical facilities,better environ etc.

Cheers
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by TranceD: 11:23pm On Nov 30, 2011
My interview was scheduled for 10:30 am. My number was called for counter two.
VO: your documents,
Me: passed them
VO: why do you want to go to us?
Me: to further my studies
VO: where?
Me: said
VO: What’s the location of your school?
Me: said
VO: How did you come about the school?
Me: I read a paper written by two of their professors, i got interested, googled the school and checked on usnews
VO: usnews?
Me: yeah, i wanted to find out the university’s ranking and all
VO: have u travelled out before?
Me: No, didn’t have any reason to
VO: Looking at my form 1-20. Fifteen months? Why fifteen months? (Talking about the course duration)
Me: (Confused), well, that’s how its structured
VO: ooh, you are going for a master’s degree
Me: Yes, i am
VO: What course?
Me: told
VO: did you take any exams? SAT? TOEFL
Me: no, the school didn’t ask for it. I was given an exemption letter ( quickly brought out the letter, in the letter is included information for the scholarship awarded and the work study program)
VO: Why did they award you scholarship and opportunity for work study without having a test score?
Me: I think its merit based, they probably used my undergraduate transcripts
VO: what was your grade?
Me: told
VO: wow, that’s high
Me: “smiling”
VO: That’s really high, right?
Me: yes
VO: Looking at my form 1-20 again. Its stated here that your family will take care of your other funds
Me: yes
VO: what does your parent do?
Me: My father is a business man, blah blah blah
VO: does he conduct his business only within Nigeria?
Me: NO, , blah blah
VO: tears off the green slip, ok, you can get your visa on Monday at, blah blah
Me: smiled, thank you
The interview took a long time, this is the abridged version. I wasn’t asked for any documents apart from those used to check me in. Hope this will help or inspire someone. And guys, im a female. Wishing all of you the best of luck.
@square65: i wasn't asked for my financials
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by kcluv2men(m): 12:25am On Dec 01, 2011
@tranced-good luck to you but what school is that in the us?

(1) (2) (3) ... (308) (309) (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) ... (317)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.