Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,226 members, 7,939,890 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 01:45 PM

Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? (8011 Views)

Nigerians Shop Till They Drop In London / Why Can't Nigerians Be Honest? / How Do Nigerians Shop Online? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by determined: 9:01pm On Mar 16, 2009
I was at Shoprite over the weekend and it was a horrible experience.

First of all, not only did it take about an hour through the Ozumba Mbadiwe Traffic to get there, but when I finally got in, parking space was a problem, It was like the whole of Lagos was at the Palms.

Ok. I eventually found somewhere to park and started shopping and at the end of the day I spent more than 30 mins on the long queue to pay for my stuff.

Now I really want to know everyone's opinion, What's the point of all this? Why can't we have online shopping with our interswitch or etranzact cards while such shops have a delivery service plan and whats your opinion about online shopping for places like Shoprite, Game, Park and Shop etc. in Nigeria?
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by MrCrackles(m): 9:06pm On Mar 16, 2009
Shop online for where?

Yahoo Yahoo boys no go gree
!! grin
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by determined: 9:14pm On Mar 16, 2009
well, if interswitch and etranzact have very good web transaction security I don't think it would be a problem. Airlines are already deploying web payments so
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by DisGuy: 9:20pm On Mar 16, 2009
For a state like Lagos, one would expect forward thinking entrepreneurs to start things like that
but I'm sure there are several brickwalls like cost, postage system, demand, banking/ internet banking,consumer laws
security and culture (people like to view/use/feel before paying for goods or services)

Big shops should introduce internet shopping especially in places where there is demand for it

I think we should start from lagos first. most of these places are not even available outside of lagos
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by determined: 9:27pm On Mar 16, 2009
Dis Guy:

For a state like Lagos, one would expect forward thinking entrepreneurs to start things like that
but I'm sure there are several brickwalls like cost, postage system, demand, banking/ internet banking,consumer laws
security and culture (people like to view/use/feel before paying for goods or services)

Big shops should introduce internet shopping especially in places where there is demand for it

I think we should start from lagos first. most of these places are not even available outside of lagos

I'm glad your thoughts are like mine. I totally concur.
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by bamking200: 2:42pm On Mar 17, 2009
yes,Nigeria need a way forward.That was a gud suggestion,i think we need to go advance in the way we shop,i.e comming up with online shopping.presently i study in the uk,and the ways things are done here,as regard shopping,is quite unique.Naija can do better.What we need is working together(network)
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by Ibime(m): 3:00pm On Mar 17, 2009
Cos the postal service is wack. Everything boils down to infrastructure
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by dae(f): 5:11pm On Mar 17, 2009
Yor stuff Might not get delivered! and even if its delivered, hungry pple can commot something b4 it gets to you.

The perosn who put together you order at the store can deliberately remove something and claim it was sent to you, afterall it'll be included in your receipt. In this case, what can you do? you think they gonna give you a replacement?? or u think calling the popo(police) will make any difference? NOPE!!!!! i dont think so, and the simplest explanation as to why this aint possible ------

Yahoo yahoo boyz/girls will show shake your world! grin
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by akinalabi(m): 1:11pm On Mar 18, 2009
Ibime:

Cos the postal service is wack. Everything boils down to infrastructure

They wont be using the postal service will they?

I reckon it should be like the Tesco home delivery method. They'll
have their own vehicles for delivery.

dae:

Yor stuff Might not get delivered! and even if its delivered, hungry pple can commot something b4 it gets to you.

The perosn who put together you order at the store can deliberately remove something and claim it was sent to you, afterall it'll be included in your receipt. In this case, what can you do? you think they gonna give you a replacement?? or u think calling the popo(police) will make any difference? NOPE!!!!! i dont think so, and the simplest explanation as to why this aint possible ------

Yahoo yahoo boyz/girls will show shake your world! grin

Wont you double check your stuffs when you receive them?

determined:

I was at Shoprite over the weekend and it was a horrible experience.

First of all, not only did it take about an hour through the Ozumba Mbadiwe Traffic to get there, but when I finally got in, parking space was a problem, It was like the whole of Lagos was at the Palms.

Ok. I eventually found somewhere to park and started shopping and at the end of the day I spent more than 30 mins on the long queue to pay for my stuff.

Now I really want to know everyone's opinion, What's the point of all this? Why can't we have online shopping with our interswitch or etranzact cards while such shops have a delivery service plan and whats your opinion about online shopping for places like Shoprite, Game, Park and Shop etc. in Nigeria?

Ozumba? Nightmare!!!! As a regular though, I know the times I
can pass through there without much traffic.

Queing at the checkout is another nightmare. I'll never shop at
weekends there except I go there 9am.

All in all, you're right about the online shopping thingy. They can
experiment with Island before they move into other areas.

I for one, will order online if the service is there.
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by determined: 5:38pm On Mar 18, 2009
Meeeeen! Akinalabi, you're just on point.

I believe if everything is well organized and they can start with maybe VI, they'll know how far to take it in a couple of months. After all, they (Shoprite) plans to expand to about 12 other places in Lagos.

Personally, I would shop online if I could.
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by dae(f): 9:54pm On Mar 18, 2009
Akinlabi;
Wont you double check your stuffs when you receive them?

=================================================
@ Akinlabi

DUDE, read statement below ------>
The person who put together you order at the store can deliberately remove something and claim it was sent to you, afterall it'll be included in your receipt. In this case, what can you do
EXPLANATION!!!!!!!!!!
If an item is included in your receipt, and you "DOUBLE CHECK" your order and SOMETHING is missing ------ What difference does it make?? I'm not underestimating naija, but be realistic dude, are they gonna give u a replacement?? or are you gonna report them to the police?
GO FIGURE!!!!
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by issolution: 12:17am On Mar 19, 2009
The yahoo guys messed up the innocent ones opportunity
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by DisGuy: 6:52am On Mar 20, 2009
determined:

I believe if everything is well organized and they can start with maybe VI, they'll know how far to take it in a couple of months. A[b]fter all, they (Shoprite) plans to expand to about 12 other places in Lagos.[/b]

So they are still in one place siiiiiiiinceeeeeeeeeee?
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by OneInTown: 6:06pm On Mar 20, 2009
determined:

I believe if everything is well organized and they can start with maybe VI, they'll know how far to take it in a couple of months. After all, they (Shoprite) plans to expand to about 12 other places in Lagos.

And what would you be willing to buy if you could shop online?
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by determined: 8:24pm On Mar 20, 2009
OneInTown:

And what would you be willing to buy if you could shop online?

OneInTown,
have you never been to shoprite? don't you know what they sell?
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by OneInTown: 12:02pm On Mar 22, 2009
determined - I have never been to shoprite, and this may come as a shock to you, but not everyone has. And living outside Naija it would take me a LOT longer to get there than you.
However I don't believe everything they sell there would be attractive to buyers if it where sold online. For instance, I'd have no trouble buying a tv or an mp3 player online, but when it come to shoes and clothes, I would much rather try them on first. That's just my preference.

What's yours??

One.
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by determined: 4:34pm On Mar 22, 2009
OneInTown:

determined - I have never been to shoprite, and this may come as a shock to you, but not everyone has,

Oh I see.
that explains it. well then, if you are in the UK, shoprite is like Tesco or Asda etc. If you are in the US, Shoprite is like Macy's without the clothes and shoes. and you're definitely not in S.A. because you would have known Shoprite if you were there.

So if Tesco and Asda can offer online shopping, why can't Shoprite?
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by eideas(m): 11:02pm On Mar 23, 2009
why can't Nigerians shop online? It all boils down to lack infacstructure,honesty,efficiency,customer care and a lack of a visionary enterprenuer that can raise up to the challange and come up with a blue print like Dell Computers to make it work
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by abhosts(m): 9:57am On Mar 24, 2009
The funny naija mentality is the reason why shopping at the palms has become hell. Most of the folks that come to shop at the palms have local convenience stores in their area that can easily meet most of their needs.

But because the palms has become a status symbol of some sorts, many people would prefer to drive from Surulere to Lekki to buy basic stuff because they do not want to be left out of the charade. Why for goodness sake would a lady go to Mr Biggs at the palms with 5 friends from Ikeja, when she would have passed several Mr big outlets before getting to Lekki?

NAIJA Factor
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by JJYOU: 10:09am On Mar 24, 2009
eideas:

why can't Nigerians shop online? It all boils down to lack infacstructure,honesty,efficiency,customer care and a lack of a visionary enterprenuer that can raise up to the challange and come up with a blue print like Dell Computers to make it work
you will be shocked to know how many will sign for gooods and claim later. it wont be worth it. it is hard enough securing goods at premises. how do we add cost of delivering and insurance to cost.

it is a good concept but cant see it happening just yet in naija.
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by deepo: 3:24pm On Mar 24, 2009
Etranzact and interswitch do have web payment system.
For me i feel the issue isnt deploying the payment system, it is an issue of security.

even the stores using it wont feel secured.

Havent u heard of Atm cards being used and u are sure the card is with u all the time?

Now banks are introducing verve card which is far more secured than our normal atm cards.

really i think its security and the fact that we are not there yet.

so it boils down to the economy at large,
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by determined: 8:20pm On Mar 24, 2009
JJYOU:

you will be shocked to know how many will sign for gooods and claim later. it wont be worth it. it is hard enough securing goods at premises. how do we add cost of delivering and insurance to cost.

it is a good concept but cant see it happening just yet in naija.

so when exactly would be the right time to start deploying web payment systems like these? Besides, there shouldn't be an option to pay later. If you want your goods delivered to your doorstep, you should pay immediately, and if you want to pick up from the store, I believe you should also pay immediately online and probably download a non-refundable receipt to pick up or something.

I just believe there should be ways round this because Airlines are using it and they are not complaining. I also believe there is no business that is 100% secured from things like 419 etc. there should be strategic plans in place to curb such things and bring it to the lowest minimum.
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by kunledarmani(m): 9:20pm On Mar 25, 2009
Its quite a sad one. Well Good News Nigerians!!!

You'll be able to start shopping online soonest with on a very big platform, HACKER SAFE!!! So dont think you are coming to SCAM,

Interswitch Connected, What you need is either your Debit or Credit Card and you shop online, I will give you update soonest on this topic.

Thanks Landers,

Your Brother & Friend,

Adekunle,
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by OrderBay(f): 11:16am On Apr 02, 2009
Hello,

If you are interested purchasing items or services in US or Canadian stores and institutions, you can try
www.orderbay.com, pending when the right infrastructure is put in place for on-line shopping in Nigeria :-)
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by yungchap(m): 2:52pm On Apr 04, 2009
Hello Fellow members,
This is a very brilliant post,is just that we all seems to have forgotten the basics for this concept and one of the Basics is INTERNET FACILITY.Because without the internet, can you shop online? and how many Nigerians have access to the Internet?.Ok let assume few Nigerians have access to the internet,can they make use of it to the fullest?

I think these are one of the things we really need to put in place.Except if most of the Nigerians who are not Internet versatile take it upon themselves to embrace the internet. Because if they don't do, perhaps shopping offline and online would be quite difficult for them.

But i still think it is possible and there is always a way out,

I think that is my own point of view for now,

Cheers,
David.
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Apr 04, 2009
it's just Nigerian Mentality that assume it won't work! It will work fine as simple as ABC! Web payment, the customer care will call to verified your card if you really purchase the item for security reasons. Seal a contract deal with EMS - NexT day DeLivery. It's just about dedication and commitment.
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by Magnam(m): 4:17am On Apr 05, 2009
Nigerians are afraid of Nigerians. shopping online is for people with one serious quality of an Entrepreneur and that is Risk Taking
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by Globalstu: 11:12am On Apr 05, 2009
If it can be done abroad, then it can also be done in Nigeria. It might take time, but in the future, I'm sure it will become a reality where Nigerians will be able to shop online. It would be too sad if the country does not advance for the better in the future.
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by emmerinfo(m): 1:43pm On Apr 05, 2009
Some Nigerian sites offer online sales and get the product delivered to your doorstep. VTN is also a new idea, with affliate with graphcard, they have acct for both consumers and marketers. WITH TIME WE'LL GET THERE
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by ADEOMOLE(m): 10:48pm On Apr 17, 2009
Hurray, Nigerians can now shop online.
Are you thinking of shopping on ebay, amazon, tm lewin, hawes and curtis, next, harrods, poundland asda, tesco etc

Have you seen what you want and you don't know how to get it?
We can facilitate purchases on your behalf and forward your goods to Nigeria.

Your goods are guaranteed to get to you securely or your money back.

Kindly email me adeomole100@aol.com
009 44 (0) 7529463430

You can also meet me on facebook adeomole100@aol.com
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by Horus(m): 9:14pm On May 12, 2009
One of the reason internet users are not shopping online in Nigeria is due to lack of trust. If nigerians consumers are not confident online, demand will grow at a slower rate. Among those who do shop online, they still have concerns about doing so and are only slightly aware of their online consumer rights.
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? by adesojiade(m): 8:07pm On Jun 15, 2009
The reason why Nigerian can't shop online is simply because of the fear people have in the system of shopping online.

To me i see no reason why we can't shop online. I do most of my buying online business online. I'm indoors most of the time bu that is limited. I would be glad to buy online if the system is good Yahoo boy or no Yahoo boy.

What is business?

Business involves buying and selling which has the medium of exchange called money in between. Once i make my order online and the product is delivered to me through a courier. I will go to the courier services get my product and check it authenticity. Once that is done, i pay the courier service the amount + VAT and i leave. It is left for the Shop to collect there money from the courier services (a registered one o).

Or better still, we can make use of pre-paid gift cards that. This you would have bought before. Once you see a product you want to buy, u make your order and load your gift card. There you go and you do the business.

I guess this is a call for Shopping Online

http://www.adesojiadegbulu.com

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Before You Apply For Tony Elumelu Foundation Programme / MTN Names Citigroup, Standard Bank As Nigeria Listing Advisers / NNU Income Program Review From Experience - The Good And Bad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.