Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,202,134 members, 7,981,011 topics. Date: Monday, 21 October 2024 at 09:56 AM

Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child - Family (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child (91535 Views)

Is Low Self Esteem A Result Of Parental Upbringing Or Personality? / Parental Guide:the Rape Of Teenage Girls And Minors In Nigeria / Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by mohawkchic(f): 1:44am On Jun 28, 2009
~Kwel wink
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 2:00am On Jun 28, 2009
i dont know why my inital post on this isnt appearing on the board, but you when click to reply you see it but it isnt on the board, anyhow i will repost it hope it appears embarassed embarassed

@ thumb sucking

my lil sis and my niece were avid suckers of their thumb. it was hard to stop at first but they eventually stopped. with my lil sis, we tried different methods with her. first, when she's sleeping we will gently pull her thumb away from her mouth and make sure she didn't put it back in at night. or whenever she puts her hand in mouth, we will gently remove it and make sure it isnt put back. the other method we used was rubbing something very bitter on her thumb so when she tastes it, she will immediately remove her hands from her mouth and the last method we tried was banding her thumb up with a tape or similar things, so she couldn't suck the tape, though it was hard for her but she finally realized it was time to stop. the key to eventually stopping her was consistency, now she's finally a sucker free  lol. with my lil niece we applied the same method, but with her own we tried the reward program it worked. my keys to stopping it, be would be consistency with whatever methods you use, positive reinforcement, it's never ease to give up any habit, so with proper positive reinforcement they will surely come along. no punishment/negative reinforcement. and if you want/like use reward program. remember patience is always the important key.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by serubawon(m): 1:21am On Jun 29, 2009
It's pretty funny how we parents think we can handle our kids when certain situations present themselves. The reality is we become clueless wrecks when reality sets in. I always used to say I would talk to my kids about sex (the birds & the bees 2009 version). Reality is that I'm not too bothered about my son who is still 7. However, when it comes to my daughter who's 9, I break out in a cold sweat. She's already beginning to manifest physical changes and it SCARES me shitless.

I'm a widower, so her mom isn't around to take care of that. Trust me. I still relish the thought of buying a shotgun and wait for the unlucky poor sap who will have the unfortunate audacity to ask my little girl out. I might just shoot someone.

REALITY CHECK. You take each day one day at a time and really pray for God's guidance concerning your kids. I'm stressed out as it is (and they're not even in their teens yet). I just pray that everything works out well and I can sit down 20 years from now, thanking God that I made the right decisions.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by mohawkchic(f): 2:04am On Jun 29, 2009
serubawon:

It's pretty funny how we parents think we can handle our kids when certain situations present themselves. The reality is we become clueless wrecks when reality sets in. I always used to say I would talk to my kids about sex (the birds & the bees 2009 version). Reality is that I'm not too bothered about my son who is still 7. However, when it comes to my daughter who's 9, I break out in a cold sweat. She's already beginning to manifest physical changes and it SCARES me shitless.

~I Agree wholeheartedly!!

~My Dada gave me The Talk & i wudnt  have wanted it any other way. . .You shud brave it,I can only imagine what that must feel like for you. . but am sure it will work out just fine!!

serubawon:

I'm a widower, so her mom isn't around to take care of that. Trust me. I still relish the thought of buying a shotgun and wait for the unlucky poor sap who will have the unfortunate audacity to ask my little girl out. I might just shoot someone.

~You had me Laffing so hard  cheesy Remind me of my Dada!

serubawon:

REALITY CHECK. You take each day one day at a time and really pray for God's guidance concerning your kids. I'm stressed out as it is (and they're not even in their teens yet). I just pray that everything works out well and I can sit down 20 years from now, thanking God that I made the right decisions.

~I imagine Every Parents Wish!!Amen to that! May we all Live Long Enuff to see That day!
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by serubawon(m): 3:46am On Jun 29, 2009
~I imagine Every Parents Wish!!Amen to that! May we all Live Long Enuff to see That day!

AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!!
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 10:47am On Jun 29, 2009
ewww @ dads giving the talk (to guys), in house no such thing happened o,the closest he ever came was asking if i was sexually frustrated at 17 but my mother on the other hand. . . one of the many talks began with 'you'll notice girls are starting to get attracted to you, ' (i was already laughing to myself at this point

@moka. . . et al
thanks, y'all provide the much needed link to actual reality we need

FL Gators:

Infact, you're very much right. Now that you've given an age bracket, my answer has changed, but not too far from the root.

LOL, maybe when I become a mom it might change. I'm still learning, plz continue to correct me wink
hurry up and marry jo, u dont know u're old!
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jun 29, 2009
@netotse
Lol, you think. So you want to marry me? wink
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 9:43am On Jun 30, 2009
*almost choking on the garri and epa i was eating* yes ke! in fact go and wait for me under the mango tree down the road, make sure to wear a wedding gown o! i'm coming with the babalawo that will join us togeda

but first sey you know how to pound yam?and sow?and bake?and wash? if you dont dont worry i can arrange for you to go and learn from one of my grandmothers in the village! kiss
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 3:19am On Jul 01, 2009
netotse:

*almost choking on the garri and epa i was eating* yes ke! in fact go and wait for me under the mango tree down the road, make sure to wear a wedding gown o! i'm coming with the babalawo that will join us togeda

but first sey you know how to pound yam?and sow?and bake?and wash? if you dont dont worry i can arrange for you to go and learn from one of my grandmothers in the village! kiss
grin grin grin grin I no do grin grin
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by sistawoman: 2:25pm On Jul 01, 2009
Question:

What do you do if you find out your child is saying they are going to run away?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by serubawon(m): 2:50pm On Jul 01, 2009
sistawoman:

Question:

Damage already done. Start praying VERY HARD. You're going to need divine assistance. By the time a child starts thinking like that, the process has been fueled by peer pressure. Kids don't just decide to run away. They complain about their "problems" to other kids and they influence them to make these crazy decisions. First thing, check out your kids friends (especially the crazy ones they hang out with). For a child to decide to run away, he/she usually has a place they want to run away to - there lies part of the problem.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by sistawoman: 3:00pm On Jul 01, 2009
serubawon:

Damage already done. Start praying VERY HARD. You're going to need divine assistance. By the time a child starts thinking like that, the process has been fueled by peer pressure. Kids don't just decide to run away. They complain about their "problems" to other kids and they influence them to make these crazy decisions. First thing, check out your kids friends (especially the crazy ones they hang out with). For a child to decide to run away, he/she usually has a place they want to run away to - there lies part of the problem.

I know all of his friends; as much as any parent can.
I monitor all his phone conversations
I have GPS tracker on his phone

I told him and his siblings this morning that I would no longer provide for them anything other than what the law says I have to provide; food and shelter. There would be no spending money, no outside playing, no company. I took the TV back out of his room, removed the cable cord for the internet, removed the plugs from the rest of the TV's in the house and told them they will be getting up at 6am to complete thier chores before I leave the house. I told them no field trips in school, the weekend sleep over is canceled. No more new clothes, allowance or other previllages.

If they cant get the chores done between 6 am and 8 am before I leave for work and them for school, then they will get up one hour earlier every morning until we reach our target time for them to complete thier chores.

I am sick and tired and tired and sick. I can not and will not live in a disorderly house.
My health is not what it used to be and I will not and can not just over look it anymore.
I have reached the end of my rope, thier natural father is not in thier lives and so it rest squarely on my shoulders to make them do as they are told.
If they dont I will do it all but they will only get what the law requires i give to them until they are 18.

So althou I dont want him to run away because anything can happen, there is nothing i can do to stop it.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jul 01, 2009
sistawoman:

Question:

You also need opinions from children in matters like this. How do we feel about these guidelines?

I can only imagine why a kid would want to run away. He must have reached his limits.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by sistawoman: 3:33pm On Jul 01, 2009
michelin89:

You also need opinions from children in matters like this. How do we feel about these guidelines?

I can only imagine why a kid would want to run away. He must have reached his limits.

I have talked and talked and negotiated and bent over backwords until i dont feel like i have a spine anymore.

I have asked countless times what I can do to help them.

I have done what they have asked me to do to help them

Still no change.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jul 01, 2009
Sometimes I just wanted to be left alone. It may be me, but who knows. When parents try to help they somehow end up making things worse.

Just let him be. Don't go to him. Let him be the one to come to you and if he doesn't, then maybe he doesn't feel the need.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by sistawoman: 3:54pm On Jul 01, 2009
do i just do his chores untill he feels like doing them?

Do i contiune to give him what he wants until he decides to do as I ask?

How do we meet in the middle?

How do i reason with my child?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jul 01, 2009
sistawoman:

I have never liked chores but somehow I managed to do them. Instead of making it everyday, why not create a day, like saturrday morning for chores? it's more fun when everybody in the house do them together maybe while playing some nice music. Just my idea though.

Do i contiune to give him what he wants until he decides to do as I ask?

That's up to you. If these things are necessary then you can't escape your responsibility to give him what he needs. But as for what he wants, people want a lot of useless things. I don't think you have to give it to him if you don't think it's necessary.

How do we meet in the middle?

There is this gap between parents and children that I can't really explain. Try a game. Ask him to list what he wants from you and also make your list. I am sure in one way or the other, you'll find two or three things in common and maybe negotiate on the rest.

How do i reason with my child?

cheesy cheesy There is no reasonning with your children or you might go crazy. I don't even try to understand the logic behind my parents' decisions because they are just so out of this world.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 4:11pm On Jul 01, 2009
sistawoman:

you might as well tell him never to listen to you again in his life

children aren't necessary saints you know. . .he jst might say that(the running away sturvs) to scare you (esp if he's sure it'll work), ignore him!
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jul 01, 2009
netotse:

you might as well tell him never to listen to you again in his life

children aren't necessary saints you know. . .he jst might say that(the running away sturvs) to scare you (esp if he's sure it'll work), ignore him!

Yeah let him be!
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by sistawoman: 4:18pm On Jul 01, 2009
michelin89:

I have never liked chores but somehow I managed to do them. Instead of making it everyday, why not create a day, like saturrday morning for chores? it's more fun when everybody in the house do them together maybe while playing some nice music. Just my idea though.

It is impossible to let the chores build up to just one day.

Do you understand how quickly a 11, 10 and 7 year old can tear up a living room, dining room, kitchen and bedrooms?

I dont ask him to do everything

I ask him to clean the kitchen on a daily basis. And since I have been sick I have not cooked in the kitchen in a week. They have been eating take out. So there should be no mess. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO he cant even do the dam cups and spoons.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jul 01, 2009
sistawoman:

It is impossible to let the chores build up to just one day.

Do you understand how quickly a 11, 10 and 7 year old can tear up a living room, dining room, kitchen and bedrooms?

I dont ask him to do everything

I ask him to clean the kitchen on a daily basis. And since I have been sick I have not cooked in the kitchen in a week. They have been eating take out. So there should be no mess. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO he cant even do the dam cups and spoons.

I remember those days I used to live with my cousins! grin Little pests!

How old is he by the way?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by sistawoman: 4:21pm On Jul 01, 2009
he is 11. He will be 12 in August.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jul 01, 2009
sistawoman:

he is 11. He will be 12 in August.

So young. Ok let me think of me at 11. I was already a rebel. I did my chores with little enthusiasm. grin

Ok he is kidding. he won't run away from home. We all said so at least once in our life time and if you think well, you'll remember saying exactly the same thing.

One of those phase children go through. The phase of rebellion. Handle him as you wish.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by serubawon(m): 6:38pm On Jul 01, 2009
@Sistawoman.

You know something, without prejudice, your kids have the yankee bug. What I mean is that they are behaving like american kids, instead of nigerian kids. I can understand how you feel, because I have 2 myself and I'm a single father to boot.

Seriously, I have a suggestion that you might not like, but may be necessary. Without a father-figure in the house, kids can get rebellious, especially with you being a hard-working mother. My suggestion, send them to Nigeria for some time (i.e. if you have kin that you can trust with your kids). Everybody is doing it, because it's almost the only thing you can do to get your kids back on track without being under these so-called laws in America (or wherever you are)

Think about it and pray. You can't afford losing your kids to the west.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by sistawoman: 8:22pm On Jul 01, 2009
I am not nigerian; just married to a nigerian.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by serubawon(m): 11:20pm On Jul 01, 2009
sistawoman:

I am not nigerian; just married to a nigerian.

I feel your pain
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by sistawoman: 1:21pm On Jul 02, 2009
So heres what happened last night.

When I got home I looked around and the chores were not done. i took out the power cord for my TV and plug it in.

I did my chores, went in my room and watched a little TV, went downstairs and fixed dinner.

My eldest son was at football practice and the two younger ones wanted to go outside. I simply said no the chores are not done.

I fixed chicken livers, gravy, rice and green beans for my dinner. I fed them rice.

The law says food and shelter. I gave them food and shelter.

The youngest kept coming back asking me to check his chores they were still not done so he cried himself to sleep.
The middle child just decided not to do anything and sat on the couch downstairs.
The eldest came home from practice asked for dinner and told him his bowl was in the microwave.

At 6am I got them up to do thier chores. I left for work early this am and i told them to be out the house by 8am for school if the chores were not done when i get home, tomorrow on thier day off from school they will get up at 5am. One hour earlier everyday until the chores are completed before I leave for work each morning.

tonight they will have rice and maybe some plantains.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by serubawon(m): 3:59pm On Jul 02, 2009
@Sistawoman.

I applaud your efforts and determination. I know how painful and frustrating it can be. However, please make sure that as you are putting them back on track, don't worsen the situation by pushing them further away from you emotionally. I really wish you the best. Your kids are your biggest investment.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jul 02, 2009
serubawon:

@Sistawoman.

I applaud your efforts and determination. I know how painful and frustrating it can be. However, please make sure that as you are putting them back on track, don't worsen the situation by pushing them further away from you emotionally. I really wish you the best. Your kids are your biggest investment.

That's the major risk.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by sistawoman: 4:28pm On Jul 02, 2009
how do i balance the two?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jul 02, 2009
sistawoman:

how do i balance the two?

Uhm have you tried to make them understand how doing these chores are functional to them? I mean don't force it down their throats as if they were duties they can't escape. Rather tell them you are just teaching them things that'd be useful to them in future.

You won't always be there to help them. They'll live alone someday and will have to cook and clean for themselves. Mummy just want you to do it at your best.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by sistawoman: 4:37pm On Jul 02, 2009
michelin89:

Uhm have you tried to make them understand how doing these chores are functional to them? I mean don't force it down their throats as if they were duties they can't escape. Rather tell them you are just teaching them things that'd be useful to them in future.

You won't always be there to help them. They'll live alone someday and will have to cook and clean for themselves. Mummy just want you to do it at your best.

yes i have tried that countless times.

over and over and over again. I feel like I have talked and listened until i am blue in the face and bleeding out the ears.
They have asked a few things from me and I have complied all the way no hesitation. They even asked that thier loads be lightened and I did that. I have worked with them side-by-side each one for one week str8 to make sure they understand how it should be done and what I expect. I have showen them short cuts, offered suggestions on multitasking, written it out, hung it up.

Still they are trying to push me over the edge. They sat on the couch last night and because they could not watch TV they read and slept and did not do a single chore.

I will see how long eating rice and plaintains will take them.

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (44) (Reply)

Lady Thanks Her Husband For Marrying Her (Photos) / My Friend Is Sleeping With His 13-Year-Old Daughter / How My 10-year-old Demonic House Girl Was Having Sex With My 2-year-old Son

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.