Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,438 members, 7,901,237 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 06:24 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (253) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4590392 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (250) (251) (252) (253) (254) (255) (256) ... (3723) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 3:09pm On May 22, 2016
AZUH:
@ agarawu you are one funny Fulani man I have ever meet on this forum ! You want to build one house for 30 years that is the highest history of poverty in Africa . I reject that in your life !!! Receive the power to think smart .
you are right because I might spend 30years to build my dream house (small hut). I don't mind laying one block per year in as much I won't be lending from anyone and ain't wanted by efcc for fraud. grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:10pm On May 22, 2016
Miscellaneous:

lol.... I gave my reason that I needed to submit the report within 2wks

I'm not taking you up on that. I'm just making citing those things that could lead to the figures gotten.

Brabus
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:15pm On May 22, 2016
erico2k2:

baba you don come again oh, this poor man level u dey use dey arrange us soo I no gbadooo Oooh, nah so one president come E say wen E was young he had no shoes,another one come say E borrow money to buy Forms grin grin

LOL! But God has been good to me though. I cannot complain.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:17pm On May 22, 2016
ceelog:

Poor man indeed!!!!
But you inspire more much "poorer" people than you here.

Thank you sir. Just trying to help poor people progress.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 3:19pm On May 22, 2016
AZUH:
Erico2k2 don't insult my president like that . If he had no shoe what is your business ? Please drink enough water and mind ur business this week!!
Guy I go reduce the length of the chain we use bind you now,where is agaruwa wen U need him grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:20pm On May 22, 2016
EgunMogaji:

It's also good for discussing fantastic and actual drama free builds by Spyder880 and Skimanski.

People discuss what they want to learn about.

I talk about color of sand because that's what I want to learn about in the nigerian context. No need for me to learn about fire prevention because my architect and I have discussed that.

And by the way we did discuss fire prevention in detail on many occasions. Intact Spyder880 stated he always decks his kitchen and I argued, of course, that fire proof/resistance drywall is enough.

Knowledge is good when shared o. Wetin you and your architect did about fire protection? You no wan tell us?

It's not fair o. Maybe we could have learnt one or two thing from it.

How about a 2.5 minutes fire escape and cut-off plan? I didn't know the decking could prevent spread of fire.

Brabus

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by babalose: 3:29pm On May 22, 2016
SOMETIMES, CLASSY IS NOT ABOUT PLENTY P.O.P DESIGNS

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 3:35pm On May 22, 2016
Best graduating student got a mug that isn't up to 5k and the most beautiful girl in the school got a brand new car plus endorsement deals.
https://www.nairaland.com/3120641/uniosun-best-student-got-mug
Yes! Its in Nigeria where they brag of having phd while people out there dont take u serious with your grammar grin

Experience remains the best teacher. grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:35pm On May 22, 2016
EgunMogaji:

What are your thoughts on using this as part of mix to set blocks ONLY?
I've heard from AbdulWastecx but he doesn't build in this area.

The color of that sand scare me for plastering o.
More like a filling sand as in literite.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:39pm On May 22, 2016
n3xt:

Knowledge is good when shared o. Wetin you and your architect did about fire protection? You no wan tell us?

It's not fair o. Maybe we could have learnt one or two thing from it.

How about a 2.5 minutes fire escape and cut-off plan? I didn't know the decking could prevent spread of fire.

Brabus

I'll see if I can find the discussion.

Basically, the premise is that most house fires, in Nigeria, starts in the kitchen. So by having a concrete decking on top of the kitchen he feels that he offers some protection to contain the fire. I agree but I don't think that going to that extreme, and cost, is necessary, for me at least. So I plan to use fire resistant drywall on the roof directly to the roof nogging (I think DominionNG participated on the discussion). No flammable liquid will be kept in the kitchen or near any other source of open flame. The propane gas cylinder will be stored outside and a hard line, not soft, ran into the house with cut off pressure regulator.

Part of the decision process for both of my structures being bungalows has to do with fire escape, this is something I am paranoid about.

In regards to escape route, this is the reason that I haven't ordered windows yet. I can't accept to trap my family in a structure with no means of voluntary escape from every room. I know it's acceptable to most on here maybe due to the Nigerian angle or maybe I'm not educated enough grin but I can't accept that just yet.

What my architect also educated me on was an additional egress route adn we incorporated that.

I dreamt about having a tunnel in the main house from either my internal courtyard and/or safe room that leads out under the house and comes out in the garage of the "church" (much shorter to call it a church now than padlock chicken coop). That would have been fantastic.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:41pm On May 22, 2016
mufutau55:

The color of that sand scare me for plastering o.
More like a filling sand as in literite.

Hajji M.

You and me both Sir. These are some of the challenges that occurs when you manage from 8,000 miles away angry
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 3:43pm On May 22, 2016
@ agarawu your dream house indeed ' what money are u using to build the house ? Pension ? how old are you sir ? With pictures pls . Thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:46pm On May 22, 2016
agarawu23:
Best graduating student got a mug that isn't up to 5k and the most beautiful girl in the school got a brand new car plus endorsement deals.
https://www.nairaland.com/3120641/uniosun-best-student-got-mug
Yes! Its in Nigeria where they brag of having phd while people out there dont take u serious with your grammar grin

Experience remains the best teacher. grin

Why are you such a troublemaker? And on this gentle Sunday morning too grin

Chinua Achebe
“Nobody can teach me who I am. You can describe parts of me, but who I am - and what I need - is something I have to find out myself.”

Wole Soyinka
“Let me state quite clearly that literacy is no indicator of intelligence, even though we all believe (I hope) in universal literacy. From childhood I have interacted with so-called "illiterate" men and women, sipped from their innate intelligence, and learnt much from them outside formal schooling.”

Kristof
“But to tackle an issue effectively, you need to understand it-and it’s impossible to understand an issue by simply reading about it. You need to see it first hand, even live in its midst. One of the great failings of the American education system, in our view, is that young people can graduate from university without any understanding of poverty at home or abroad. Study-abroad programs tend to consist of herds of students visiting Oxford or Florence or Paris. We believe that universities should make it a requirement that all graduates spend at least some time in the developing world, either by taking a “gap year” or by studying abroad. If more Americans worked for a summer teaching English at a school like Mukhtar’s in Pakistan, or working at a hospital like HEAL Africa in Congo, our entire society would have a richer understanding of the world around us. And the rest of the world might also hold a more positive view of Americans.” -Kristof, Half the Sky p. 88

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:51pm On May 22, 2016
Speaking of sharp sand...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWhZnsoosNU

Abject poverty abounds in Nigeria like this and yet some asshat Nigerian fool donated N4.2 billion to an unaccredited US school.

Is Mama Patience really right, is there really a God?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 3:54pm On May 22, 2016
Decking has always been part of the prevention of fire spread in our homes, putting your cylinder gas outside is another way to tackle fire outbreak. Make God no let us see fire wahala for our house.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 3:59pm On May 22, 2016
AZUH:
@ agarawu your dream house indeed ' what money are u using to build the house ? Pension ? how old are you sir ? With pictures pls . Thank you
I will be using my "osu su" daily contribution of #500 to build it. I am younger than u think. I will upload my dp just for u grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 4:07pm On May 22, 2016
@egunmogaji in my area most are in the dredging business see pile of sand everywhere from the gutter. Them call am sharp sand in a muddy area which is really laterite but they add cement and use it to build even upstairs.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 4:10pm On May 22, 2016
EgunMogaji:
Speaking of sharp sand...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWhZnsoosNU

Abject poverty abounds in Nigeria like this and yet some asshat Nigerian fool donated N4.2 billion to an unaccredited US school.

Is Mama Patience really right, is there really a God?
everything is possible in Nigeria cheesy
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 4:11pm On May 22, 2016
babalose:

I saw this picture at houzz.com 500 times before.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 4:12pm On May 22, 2016
EgunMogaji:

You and me both Sir. These are some of the challenges that occurs when you manage from 8,000 miles away angry

True, true.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:13pm On May 22, 2016
Saved from the web some time ago.

"A successful American CEO went on vacation with his family to a small fishing village in Mexico to get rid of the daily stress at the request of his family doctor.

At the hotel, he noticed that on most occasions he would see the same scruffy looking man drinking with his friends in the early afternoon. So inquiry got the best of him and he approached him one day.

CEO: Como Estas Senor.
Scruffy Man: Ta bien Senor
CEO: Do you work at all, I see you here drinking almost everyday.
SM: Sure Senor I work but I’m already done working today.
CEO: What work do you do that you can finish everyday this early?
SM: I’m a fisherman Senor, I fish.
CEO: Wait, there are more fishes out there to catch, you can’t just stop fishing this early.
SM: I already caught enough fish Senor.
CEO: That’s craziness. Buy more boats, hire more guys, fish more.
SM: And for what purpose Senor. I already sold my fish. I made enough money today for my family.
CEO: If you fish more, you’ll get more fish to sell and become wealthy.
SM: And then do what Senor.
CEO: You can then retire and go on vacations and then relax.
SM: But Senor, I’m already doing that. You came to my town to relax on vacation, I live here already. I am relaxing.
SM: This hotel Senor, is mine. I give to my Brother to run for me because too much headache . I’ll rather fish and then play with my friends.

So who is really rich between the two?"

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:16pm On May 22, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I'll see if I can find the discussion.

Basically, the premise is that most house fires, in Nigeria, starts in the kitchen. So by having a concrete decking on top of the kitchen he feels that he offers some protection to contain the fire. I agree but I don't think that going to that extreme, and cost, is necessary, for me at least. So I plan to use fire resistant drywall on the roof directly to the roof nogging (I think DominionNG participated on the discussion). No flammable liquid will be kept in the kitchen or near any other source of open flame. The propane gas cylinder will be stored outside and a hard line, not soft, ran into the house with cut off pressure regulator.

Part of the decision process for both of my structures being bungalows has to do with fire escape, this is something I am paranoid about.

In regards to escape route, this is the reason that I haven't ordered windows yet. I can't accept to trap my family in a structure with no means of voluntary escape from every room. I know it's acceptable to most on here maybe due to the Nigerian angle or maybe I'm not educated enough grin but I can't accept that just yet.

What my architect also educated me on was an additional egress route adn we incorporated that.

I dreamt about having a tunnel in the main house from either my internal courtyard and/or safe room that leads out under the house and comes out in the garage of the "church" (much shorter to call it a church now than padlock chicken coop). That would have been fantastic.

Baba Egunmogaji, this is me and my way of tackling issues. I try to understand the likely causes of issues before implementing a fix.

Now, what are the causes of fire outbreak in Nigeria. Let's start from there.

I know of the following:

1. Power Surge
2. Heat
3. Overloaded Circuit (not even faulty wiring as most people assume)
4. Faulty wiring and installations
5. Gas Leakage
6. Flammable liquids (fuel, paints, thinners etc)
7. Lighting (installing a bulb with higher wattage in light fixtures)
8. Exposed Fires
9. Carelessness
10. Add yours

So, I prepare for everything and anything that can cause gbege for me. I'm not so rich to be building castles here and there; neither do I have energy to be doing maintenance with the little God gave me. I just like to put in place an exclusion strategy that reduce the risk of an outbreak by 80%. If all failed, then it means God of Elijah had send down fire.

What did I do differently?

Next Post
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:27pm On May 22, 2016
babalose:

I agree Sir.

Egun "No POP, No Piler (chicken or otherwise) No Ensuite for me" Mogaji

I'll wait until I can set up my garage with a table saw and routing table to make crown mouldings unless it's commercially available in Nigeria already.

I would like to have my own design though.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by babalose: 4:29pm On May 22, 2016
@FastShipping....it doesn't deny the fact that it is simply and contemporary. We all see over design of P.O.P atimes in Nigeria to the extent that some people think, if the design is not complicated it won't be properly appreciated.

@EgunMogaji......that's what I am talking about. Simple and Classy not designs like star or moon etc.

THESE ARE EASIER TO MAINTAIN IN MY OWN PERSPECTIVE.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:34pm On May 22, 2016
Egunmogaji, I'll be part of the people that will press charges against for making good sense like Babalose.

The complex it is, the difficult it becomes. Too much of make ups won't make a lady so beautiful but it'll make her look like Halloween.

You don't have to use up all the colours because you got money for crayons.

Brabus

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:40pm On May 22, 2016
n3xt:

Baba Egunmogaji, this is me and my way of tackling issues. I try to understand the likely causes of issues before implementing a fix.

Now, what are the causes of fire outbreak in Nigeria. Let's start from there.

I know of the following:

1. Power Surge - Whole house surge protector, besides I don't plan on hooking with PHCN but we'll see.
2. Heat - I hope that we never see enough heat that will combust stuff but I intend to use whole house fans with gable vents.
3. Overloaded Circuit (not even faulty wiring as most people assume) - At least two breaker box with an overabundance of fuses. I am already searching for a young and impressionable electrician that can follow my instructions.
4. Faulty wiring and installations - I hope to find and identify good local wiring materials.
5. Gas Leakage - pressure regulator with an auto shut off.
6. Flammable liquids (fuel, paints, thinners etc) - a dedicated fire resistance enclosure built from block somewhere on the property.
7. Lighting (installing a bulb with higher wattage in light fixtures) - try to make sure that all fittings are of similar ratings.
8. Exposed Fires - have fire extinguishers, smoke and CO detectors.
9. Carelessness - humans will be humans.
10. Add yours - Vehicles with petrol inside in a locked garage - not common for Nigeria so has to include education for folks on that.

So, I prepare for everything and anything that can cause gbege for me. I'm not so rich to be building castles here and there; neither do I have energy to be doing maintenance with the little God gave me. I just like to put in place an exclusion strategy that reduce the risk of an outbreak by 80%. If all failed, then it means God of Elijah had send down fire.

What did I do differently?

Next Post

Responses in thread.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:40pm On May 22, 2016
babalose:

@Egunmogaji......that's what I am talking about. Simple and Classy not designs like star or moon etc

grin grin For Naija, this is the way we design. If you're an Osupa Adinni, your house must have a moon design on the house or on the piller.

So don't be suprised that there are people who wants it that way.

Brabus
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 4:43pm On May 22, 2016
babalose:
@FastShipping....it doesn't deny the fact that it is simply and contemporary. We all see over design of P.O.P atimes in Nigeria to the extent that some people think, if the design is not complicated it won't be properly appreciated.

@EgunMogaji......that's what I am talking about. Simple and Classy not designs like star or moon etc.

THESE ARE EASIER TO MAINTAIN IN MY OWN PERSPECTIVE.

I thought I was the only one who noticed that. I just got my POP design sent to Dominionng through my architect. They were simple design and my architect was wondering I didn't choose anything complicated. I am not doing overly designed POP at all. I only chose simple designed POP in two master bedrooms, living room, family room, sunroom, and dining room. Three other rooms, kitchen and other part of building have to be ceiling done with plasterboards.

I discovered that when you do POP ceilings in Nigeria, the designs have to be over complicated for people to appreciate it. Well......... in my life, I have always gone against the tides all my life.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:44pm On May 22, 2016
babalose:

THESE ARE EASIER TO MAINTAIN IN MY OWN PERSPECTIVE .

I stayed in a hotel in Ikeja that had all these POP stuff that made great hiding places for mosquitos. I could see them gathering up there saying to each other "better american food don land, but wait let him sleep first" grin

In reality, I am not going to live full time in Nigeria for another 10 to 15 years so I don't want to come home for three weeks and spend the first week cleaning the gademn house. So easy of maintenance is primal.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:49pm On May 22, 2016
agarawu23:
I will be using my "osu su" daily contribution of #500 to build it. I am younger than u think. I will upload my dp just for u grin

grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by babalose: 4:55pm On May 22, 2016
@EgunMogaji @brabus @ Fastshipping....I think crown moulding and dry wall contributed alot to the beauty of the houses in that picture. Where can one get wooden crown moulding in Nigeria?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by smiley001(m): 4:55pm On May 22, 2016
agarawu23:

Bro, I would love to see your pictures too.

(1) (2) (3) ... (250) (251) (252) (253) (254) (255) (256) ... (3723) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.