Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,955 members, 7,896,058 topics. Date: Sunday, 21 July 2024 at 02:25 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (898) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4578898 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (895) (896) (897) (898) (899) (900) (901) ... (3719) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by asids55: 12:55am On Mar 15, 2018
bixton:

If after the foundation blinding and the next thing he starts setting blocks then you need to stop work.
Mats are not specific to waterlogged areas but mandatory for your type of build.

the guy as built a lot of buildings and he is rated highly that was why I went for him,next is to sand fill,pump in water to sand and then German floor
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:09am On Mar 15, 2018
asids55:

the guy as built a lot of buildings and he is rated highly that was why I went for him,next is to sand fill,pump in water to sand and then German floor

Are you going to continue to go along with that?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:21am On Mar 15, 2018
For fresh concrete that I want to protect from oil and petrol:

1) What product is available to directly apply to protect it like a sealant? Hopefully in clear.

2) How soon can I apply the product?

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by asids55: 1:23am On Mar 15, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Are you going to continue to go along with that?
I don't think I have much of a choice sir..it's so frustrating but what can I do??
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:54am On Mar 15, 2018
asids55:

I don't think I have much of a choice sir..it's so frustrating but what can I do??

I know how you feel but I tell you it's much cheaper to stop now and take stock. No need to rush ahead.

You should at least get a second opinion from professional builders before you proceed.

Even if the decision is to introduce columns it can still be done now with few destructions.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by true2home(m): 2:09am On Mar 15, 2018
I saw this coming from a million miles away... wahala sit down;.....

EgunMogaji:

I apologize if my post gave you an impression that I was seeking your advice. Guess what, I'm not. How many jobs have you given to the person you're recommending?

Please allow me to run my project my way as long as I'm not borrowing money from you or you're going to live in it.

Thanks.

Stats: 1,974,700 members, 4,133,803 topics.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by true2home(m): 2:26am On Mar 15, 2018
Please read up on PUNCH Through. Foundation Engineering requires Matting to spread both Live Load and Dead load that will result from your German Floor, deck , roof etc.

asids55:

this is my first time building,the money ain't an issue,I would not even be aware of this if not for mr saydfact who I give daily pictorial updates of the progress of the work..he made the issue aware to me and when I confronted the engineer,he said they usually put mats for waterlogged lands etc.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 6:11am On Mar 15, 2018
asids55:

It is your money and your build. The building will stand but are you willingly to take that risk on your build?
Is he a registered engineer willing to stake his license and sign a document assuring your build meeting up to its structural integrity and taking all blames if there be any shortfall in future?

My advice to you Sir is that you instruct him to attach baskets beneath all installed columns under your supervision. It might be painstaking but let it be done.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:08am On Mar 15, 2018
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sako28: 7:31am On Mar 15, 2018
allCopacetic:

Lol, I think you mean the VW Beetle Sir.

Like Oga spyder rightly said, ....."Some" Fans, not in all cases.

If hooks are secured properly and fans mounted correctly, Vibrations should not be a concern.
Aesthetics is the area I believe choice is subjective.

And speaking of aesthetics, there are Fans that double as Chandeliers. The home images below are from a Nairalander's install. Both fans are operational in the 2nd and 3rd pictures.
These do not require a hook, they use a mounting plate, and the blades fold in when the fan is not in use.

Yes I got your point. Was in a resort in Kenya and saw ceiling fan install with POP. just trying to think outside the box and know is possible. As oga Sypder said vibration is a big factor that need to be considered. Below is picture of the fan I saw.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:53am On Mar 15, 2018
GoodFaith:

Meaning u kill people that don't live in Nigeria with double price
Lol
I am not an engineer o
I am also a client like u
Check my posts, i just love construction like our thread founder hajj. mufutau

When i said we should gladly spend on our build, i wasn't referring to people in diaspora alone. I was referring to everyone building a house, regardless of location.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 7:56am On Mar 15, 2018
Commonsense101:

Azuh this is wonderful!!! from chicken legs to Bacon. congratulations, the Lord has done a marvelous thing indeed grin
you dey laugh me
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:06am On Mar 15, 2018
-
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 8:08am On Mar 15, 2018
TheMinimalist:
how is a duplex demarcated into first and second floor? that's one thing I still haven't understood in building. someone should kindly explain to me .

how much do you think would cost to build something simple like this ? how deep should the foundation of a 5 storey building be ? do you need steel beams to build a 7 storey or just steel rods like the ones used for bungalow and duplex?

This thread is extremely long and the information is lost in all the gibberish . I wish there would be a thread explaining and illustrating with photos or sketches the basics of building a house (bungalow,duplex and above. ) and the pice of material all on the first page of the thread.
Sir such structures as from 2 storey buildings, requires services of structural engineers & architects.
Just the way we treat malaria & minor headaches, but complicated sickness requires consultants & well trained doctors. Likewise building.
The basics which border on bungalow & simple structure is what we can really learn on thread like this...& if u ask me this thread got it all...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:11am On Mar 15, 2018
-
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 8:27am On Mar 15, 2018
true2home:

Please read up on PUNCH Through. Foundation Engineering requires Matting to spread both Live Load and Dead load that will result from your German Floor, deck , roof etc.

I had to take a long walk to get network to type this reply I'm on a site in a poor network zone.

Let me say this.. He's NOT an engineer for 2 reasons.

1. No Engr wld use pad foundation ie mat on waterlogged soil

2. Mat and pad foundation is for this type of soil.

Can sm1 help with pics to guide our man here..

It's better to correct it now... Or u might spend millions later.

This reply is for asids55
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 8:35am On Mar 15, 2018
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 8:39am On Mar 15, 2018
AZUH:
you dey laugh me
Bros, sincerely you have done well and there is a remarkable improvement on the build. He wasn't making fun of you.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 8:40am On Mar 15, 2018
asids55:

this is my first time building,the money ain't an issue,I would not even be aware of this if not for mr saydfact who I give daily pictorial updates of the progress of the work..he made the issue aware to me and when I confronted the engineer,he said they usually put mats for waterlogged lands etc.

If I may ask sir, how do your builder knows that the soil is very strong and doesn't require a mat/pad footing or the foundation footing generally?
Did the building pass through the developmental units of your city or state because if it does it will surely have a structural design which will specify the size, depth and the number of footings to be used to carry the columns?

Am asking these questions to be sure of my replies. From your explanation above, there is no way the builder will be able to ascertain the strength of the land without carrying out a detailed soil test. If the soil test is carried out and the soil is deemed to be of good properties in relation to what you are planning to build on it (if the bearing capacity is good enough and if the settlement is minimal) then you will still have to do a mat/footing for your columns.

From your picture and explanation above I can deduce that you didn't carry out a structural design and that the builder is only working with the architectural working drawings. It is wrong to build hollow block without frames because the ground blocks will carry the weight of the slab, upper floor blocks, and the roof load, this blocks may not have the properties (strength) to withstand these loads coming in from above

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 8:49am On Mar 15, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I know how you feel but I tell you it's much cheaper to stop now and take stock. No need to rush ahead.

You should at least get a second opinion from professional builders before you proceed.

Even if the decision is to introduce columns it can still be done now with few destructions.
@ asids55, This is a very valuable suggestion given to you for free by him and others strictly out of concern.
As someone that understands it's not easy pooling resources to start building, I wish to urge you to consider their repeated advice.
Seeing these posters take up your case and repeatedly advice against going ahead without the necessary support shows how deeply concerned they are and that impressed on me. It's the true essence of the thread to share knowledge and advice.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 8:53am On Mar 15, 2018
EgunMogaji:

This is a very good advice. That building shouldn't have been built that way.

If I am been honest I will advise he get an engineer that can do a simple structural design, then introduce the columns specified by the engineer now before, filling and German floor.

At this stage, the cost will be minimal and all the future problem can now be avoided

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by asids55: 8:55am On Mar 15, 2018
gbadexy:

@ asids55, This is a very valuable suggestion given to you for free by him on others strictly out of concern.
As someone that understands it's not easy pooling resources to start building, I wish to urge you to consider there repeated advice.
Seeing these posters take up your case and repeatedly advice against going ahead without the necessary support shows how deeply concerned they are and that impressed on me. It's the true essence of the thread to share knowledge and advice.

thanks I do appreciate
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by asids55: 8:57am On Mar 15, 2018
abdulwastecx:

If I may ask sir, how do your builder knows that the soil is very strong and doesn't require a mat/pad footing or the foundation footing generally?
Did the building pass through the developmental units of your city or state because if it does it will surely have a structural design which will specify the size, depth and the number of footings to be used to carry the columns?

Am asking these questions to be sure of my replies. From your explanation above, there is no way the builder will be able to ascertain the strength of the land without carrying out a detailed soil test. If the soil test is carried out and the soil is deemed to be of good properties in relation to what you are planning to build on it (if the bearing capacity is good enough and if the settlement is minimal) then you will still have to do a mat/footing for your columns.

From your picture and explanation above I can deduce that you didn't carry out a structural design and that the builder is only working with the architectural working drawings. It is wrong to build hollow block without frames because the ground blocks will carry the weight of the slab, upper floor blocks, and the roof load, this blocks may not have the properties (strength) to withstand these loads coming in from above

valuable advice..thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 9:14am On Mar 15, 2018
allCopacetic:

Lol, I think you mean the VW Beetle Sir.

Like Oga spyder rightly said, ....."Some" Fans, not in all cases.

If hooks are secured properly and fans mounted correctly, Vibrations should not be a concern.
Aesthetics is the area I believe choice is subjective.

And speaking of aesthetics, there are Fans that double as Chandeliers. The home images below are from a Nairalander's install. Both fans are operational in the 2nd and 3rd pictures.
These do not require a hook, they use a mounting plate, and the blades fold in when the fan is not in use.

Nice. I like the idea that it's doesn't need to be installed with hook. What's the going price for the fan? Other varities available?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:20am On Mar 15, 2018
;
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:23am On Mar 15, 2018
-
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 9:23am On Mar 15, 2018
sako28:

Yes I got your point. Was in a resort in Kenya and saw ceiling fan install with POP. just trying to think outside the box and know is possible. As oga Sypder said vibration is a big factor that need to be considered. Below is picture of the fan I saw.

Yes it is very very possible won't advice the old type.of ceiling fans though.. like the one allcopacetic display those ones are not heavy....
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:46am On Mar 15, 2018
-
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Flaghouse1: 10:09am On Mar 15, 2018
abdulwastecx:

Thanks for your methodological contribution to this discourse, people should know that building a house is a process which entails stages/phases with great dependence on each other, ascertaining the strength of the soil should be the first thing to do before Architectural and structural drawings (soil test) ,people shy away from this initial stage out of ignorance or because of the cost involve,it's better to spend some few thousands to do this task than to neglect it and spend millions to correct defects in the future
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Idealer(m): 12:31pm On Mar 15, 2018
TheMinimalist:
Is Flat concrete roof cheaper to than conventional roof?

Love these designs
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:49pm On Mar 15, 2018
l

(1) (2) (3) ... (895) (896) (897) (898) (899) (900) (901) ... (3719) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.