Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,932 members, 7,896,018 topics. Date: Sunday, 21 July 2024 at 12:20 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (904) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4578685 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (901) (902) (903) (904) (905) (906) (907) ... (3719) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:05am On Mar 19, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Unfortunately[b] I can no longer recommend them[/b]. Any welder can do this though, you just got to tell them to use high strength hinges.

Thanks.

too bad.. business gone wrong?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 10:54am On Mar 19, 2018
aonag:

hook me up na abeg

Welder is in Bayelsa State.
I do not think it will be economical for you and him.
Just ask your mum to send you the quote, post it here and we all will look at it.
Like I said previously I believe it's the borehole drilling that's making the quote high.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by TOKNOW: 11:02am On Mar 19, 2018
bixton:

Kindly post pictures of your build and the affected parts.

There are other small small cracks mostly from up to dowm

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 11:03am On Mar 19, 2018
Chekitaut:
Damper or no damper the weed will grow...best is concrete flooring.

Sir, if it's done properly weed will not grow.
Sharp sand is in different qualities/types.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by TOKNOW: 11:03am On Mar 19, 2018
bixton:

Kindly post pictures of your build and the affected parts.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by TOKNOW: 11:04am On Mar 19, 2018
Another one. Most of the cracks are from up to down. There are some other small small cracks.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by TOKNOW: 11:05am On Mar 19, 2018
Another
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 12:07pm On Mar 19, 2018
TOKNOW:
Another one. Most of the cracks are from up to down. There are some other small small cracks.

This is a clear case of subsidence. This is related to the moisture content of the soil underneath the foundation. Clay and silt soil type are particularly vulnerable since they shrink and swell in relation to their moisture content. The foundation soil may not have been compacted properly during construction or the clay/silt not evacuated as would have been necessary. Subsidence is a manifest of poor quality foundation works or design.

Your foundation may need underpinning as the solution, so get an expert in your area. If this is a proven case of subsidence, you can't paper over the cracks. It's a major issue.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rabcnesbit: 12:45pm On Mar 19, 2018
snakebeat, bixton, Rubbish, diordaves and EgunMogaji, I thank you all for your advice and time. I am most grateful! I shall opt for the galvanized net base and insist on 40ft high minimum. I shall see if he will agree to do this for N400K. Thank you

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rabcnesbit: 12:48pm On Mar 19, 2018
rabcnesbit:

Thank you. Very useful info! So, all the materials I need is just cement, gutter sand (is this same as sharp sand?), and granite? Do I need iron?

Sir EgunMogaji, I asked the above question some posts back in relation to the concrete flooring of your compound, not sure if you missed it?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Shegman22(m): 1:07pm On Mar 19, 2018
Flaghouse1:

The quote is very suspicious, note the following

1. What is 23.2 x2.4 =55.68sq -which unit of measurement is he using metres or feets ,what the guy just did was multiply the length of your sitting room which is 23.2 feet by 2.4metres which does not show uniformity,unless you want to tell us your sitting room is actually 23.2 metres by 2.4 metres,the implication of what he has done is to inflate the work area

2. The quantity of the materials are suspicious ,you can go to the market and sample prices of these items

Don't get reaped off !!!
You funny ooo, what of if the height of the building is 2.4meters and he measured the length of the whole sitting room as 23.3meters ...

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 1:22pm On Mar 19, 2018
TOKNOW:

This doesn't look good..... Look like soil settlement
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 1:23pm On Mar 19, 2018
bixton:

Sir, if it's done properly weed will not grow.
Sharp sand is in different qualities/types.
Pollen grains grow on any type of soll, sunlight & rain promote photosynthesis.

Roofing sheet weed grow on it. No properly done to weed only when concrete seal soil surface.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Flaghouse1: 1:45pm On Mar 19, 2018
Shegman22:
You funny ooo, what of if the height of the building is 2.4meters and he measured the length of the whole sitting room as 23.3meters ...

Guy,

That quote is faulty ab initio, the non - uniformity of the unit of measurement is questionable ,that is why excel quote is ideal to point out all these traps .

To me the vendor would have listed all the di ensigns in an explicit manner for openness of his quote,how can he determine the "height" when it's not clearly spelt out in the quote.

Hope I have not offended you by this small exposure of the crooked ways artisan use in exploiting potential home builders

Have a great day
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by TOKNOW: 2:43pm On Mar 19, 2018
diordaves:

This is a clear case of subsidence. This is related to the moisture content of the soil underneath the foundation. Clay and silt soil type are particularly vulnerable since they shrink and swell in relation to their moisture content. The foundation soil may not have been compacted properly during construction or the clay/silt not evacuated as would have been necessary. Subsidence is a manifest of poor quality foundation works or design.

Your foundation may need underpinning as the solution, so get an expert in your area. If this is a proven case of subsidence, you can't paper over the cracks. It's a major issue.
Thanks a lot . I really appreciate
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:01pm On Mar 19, 2018
Flaghouse1:

Guy,

That quote is faulty ab initio, the non - uniformity of the unit of measurement is questionable ,that is why excel quote is ideal to point out all these traps .

To me the vendor would have listed all the di ensigns in an explicit manner for openness of his quote,how can he determine the "height" when it's not clearly spelt out in the quote.

Hope I have not offended you by this small exposure of the crooked ways artisan use in exploiting potential home builders

Have a great day

Wait a minute.

You guys are mean. You mean you just don’t pay what the artisan quotes.

How do artisans on your site survive. Are you poor or just a stingy lot?

grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:44pm On Mar 19, 2018
rabcnesbit:

Sir EgunMogaji, I asked the above question some posts back in relation to the concrete flooring of your compound, not sure if you missed it?

I missed it, sorry Sir.

Here in the USA you wil use rebar as well as specific mix of concrete which will include granite.

My floor guy chose to not use iron but instead is using gutter sand and granite.

Is this the best way to go? Not sure but I was willing to experiment.

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 4:46pm On Mar 19, 2018
TOKNOW:

Is your house in ibadan?

Your house looked like one I visited in Ibadan sometimes in 2016. It was located few metres from a stream. Had several cracks like this. Told The owner to pull it down but he went ahead to install precast fascia on it. They told him it would be covered up by plastering and he agreed.

The problem of your building is most likely from the foundation since you said it was sandfilled. I know money is not easy to come by but since you haven't roofed, you could just pull it down.

Also I saw a free standing wall in one of your pictures. Walls like that are affected greatly by wind loads and may collapse easily.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 4:49pm On Mar 19, 2018
@EgunMogaji

You have removed your flag and put it indoors.. Its better because You know that flag will attract boys when you move in..

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 4:54pm On Mar 19, 2018
TOKNOW:

I do not know how long your building have been left this way before this incident.
It's just a case of soil settlement.
Kindly get a professional to be on site to properly check.

The other option you have is to introduce a beam at the base of the wall where it meets the ground since it appears you have not done the flooring.
Get someone to crack open the blocks in a way you can fit in the beam and cast it. It should be done carefully and in a 3m interval.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:59pm On Mar 19, 2018
KolaShangOne:
@EgunMogaji

You have removed your flag and put it indoors.. Its better because You know that flag will attract boys when you move in..

I’ll never fly a US flag outdoors in Nigeria grin

I was born at night but not last night.

It’s my Nigerian flag that’s outside.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 5:05pm On Mar 19, 2018
rabcnesbit:

Thank you. Very useful info! So, all the materials I need is just cement, gutter sand (is this same as sharp sand?), and granite? Do I need iron?

For a residential grade on slab, (concrete driveway) you do not need a wire mesh (iron) as this will not prevent cracking as normally erroneously thought. This also doesn't necessarily make the concrete driveway stronger.

But there's a reason and advantage for the use of wire mesh; the wire mesh will hold the slab together if there are cracks. Without wire mesh, with cracks, the slab will separate and come loose developing into potholes.

To prevent cracks, the slab should be minimum 4" thick with interval joints to allow for expansion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:06pm On Mar 19, 2018
diordaves:

For a residential grade on slab, (concrete driveway) you do not need a wire mesh (iron) as this will not prevent cracking as normally erroneously thought. This also doesn't necessarily make the concrete driveway stronger.

But there's a reason and advantage for the use of wire mesh; the wire mesh will hold the slab together if there are cracks. Without wire mesh, with cracks, the slab will separate and come loose developing into potholes.

To prevent cracks, the slab should be minimum 4" thick with interval joints to allow for expansion.

I disagree with you.

Wire mesh absolutely helps to prevent crack by holding the concrete together. Joints only help to channel the cracks to those joints by relief.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by TOKNOW: 6:34pm On Mar 19, 2018
bixton:

I do not know how long your building have been left this way before this incident.
It's just a case of soil settlement.
Kindly get a professional to be on site to properly check.

The other option you have is to introduce a beam at the base of the wall where it meets the ground since it appears you have not done the flooring.
Get someone to crack open the blocks in a way you can fit in the beam and cast it. It should be done carefully and in a 3m interval.

Thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by TOKNOW: 6:35pm On Mar 19, 2018
KolaShangOne:

Is your house in ibadan?

Your house looked like one I visited in Ibadan sometimes in 2016. It was located few metres from a stream. Had several cracks like this. Told The owner to pull it down but he went ahead to install precast fascia on it. They told him it would be covered up by plastering and he agreed.

The problem of your building is most likely from the foundation since you said it was sandfilled. I know money is not easy to come by but since you haven't roofed, you could just pull it down.

Also I saw a free standing wall in one of your pictures. Walls like that are affected greatly by wind loads and may collapse easily.

Thank you. The house is not at Ibadan.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:04pm On Mar 19, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I fear this your mixing method ooo
grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:11pm On Mar 19, 2018
segzy14:

I fear this your mixing method ooo
grin grin grin

No be only you my brother.

We actually had a mixer onsite but it packed up. You can see it in the picture wink

When you guys do this, do you have spare mixers on hand or you resort to manual labor in case of a breakdown?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 8:16pm On Mar 19, 2018
EgunMogaji:

lovely environment
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by maingain(m): 8:40pm On Mar 19, 2018
Flaghouse1:

The quote is very suspicious, note the following

1. What is 23.2 x2.4 =55.68sq -which unit of measurement is he using metres or feets ,what the guy just did was multiply the length of your sitting room which is 23.2 feet by 2.4metres which does not show uniformity,unless you want to tell us your sitting room is actually 23.2 metres by 2.4 metres,the implication of what he has done is to inflate the work area

2. The quantity of the materials are suspicious ,you can go to the market and sample prices of these items

Don't get reaped off !!!

My sitting room is no where near 23 metres kiss Thank you for this observation. This is more reason why one need to be paying more attention to details. I sincerely appreciate everyone contribution and will try not to get reaped off.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rabcnesbit: 8:59pm On Mar 19, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I missed it, sorry Sir.

Here in the USA you wil use rebar as well as specific mix of concrete which will include granite.

My floor guy chose to not use iron but instead is using gutter sand and granite.

Is this the best way to go? Not sure but I was willing to experiment.

Thanks.

Many thanks for the reply

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 9:08pm On Mar 19, 2018
maingain:

My sitting room is no where near 23 metres kiss Thank you for this observation. This is more reason why one need to be paying more attention to details. I sincerely appreciate everyone contribution and will try not to get reaped off.
I believe the perimeter of the sitting room was calculated multiplied by the height, since they are dealing with wall & not floor.
That was why i asked u if u used wall tiles ealier, it may have resulted in the 2.4m instead of 3 or 2.8m
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 9:12pm On Mar 19, 2018
maingain:

wait sir.. are they doing this thing in meter or s/meter??

(1) (2) (3) ... (901) (902) (903) (904) (905) (906) (907) ... (3719) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.