Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,912 members, 7,895,962 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 July 2024 at 10:14 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (902) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4578496 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (899) (900) (901) (902) (903) (904) (905) ... (3719) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 3:29pm On Mar 18, 2018
maingain:
I received this quotation yesterday and I want to seek people opinion about it. Thanking whoever take his/her time to review this.

N500 /sqm is outrageous.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 3:30pm On Mar 18, 2018
rabcnesbit:
My people. Good afternoon to you all and peace be unto you. I need your advice please regarding doing the flooring of my compound. What are the different types? I know the common one is interlocking, but I have reservation about this because the growth of weed later on on the surface (see attached picture. PS. that is not my compound, just a picture for illustration). I was thinking more of just concrete (is this what is called concrete stamping) like done in the past as my experience of this is that weed never sprout out from underneath. So what is the best method in terms of prevent weed sprouting through (thus lower maintenance), costs and durability? Thank you!

I doubt these weeds will have d chance to grow if a dpm is placed before laying d interlock tiles.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by maingain(m): 3:36pm On Mar 18, 2018
adanny01:

N500 /sqm is outrageous.
I Appreciate your contribution. But do you have idea how much should be fair charges?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 3:37pm On Mar 18, 2018
adanny01:

N500 /sqm is outrageous.
Kindly quote alternative price .

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by maingain(m): 3:40pm On Mar 18, 2018
Rubbiish:

Are u proposing wall tiles for some wall areas in your building?

All the proposed tilling area has been completed.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mank1234(m): 4:06pm On Mar 18, 2018
maingain:
I received this quotation yesterday and I want to seek people opinion about it. Thanking whoever take his/her time to review this.

If the material quoted will do the job then this looks cool. This guys charge 2k to 3k per sq m for both material and labour.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by TOKNOW: 5:04pm On Mar 18, 2018
Good day great people. Please I need advice on this issue. We got a civil engineer to supervise our building of three bedroom flat. He was not around when they moulded the blocks . About 9 months after the building has gotten to roofing level, we noticed some major cracks some parts of the building , even a wall in the building fell. I care about safety so much that I don't mind bringing down the whole building, but will the foundation still be okay or should we do another one. Some people are advising us on amendment of the house, however I feel is better to loose money than to loose lives. Pls what do you think also note that the house has not been roofed yet. Thank you for your help.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 5:14pm On Mar 18, 2018
TOKNOW:
Good day great people. Please I need advice on this issue. We got a civil engineer to supervise our building of three bedroom flat. He was not around when they moulded the blocks . About 9 months after the building has gotten to roofing level, we noticed some major cracks some parts of the building , even a wall in the building fell. I care about safety so much that I don't mind bringing down the whole building, but will the foundation still be okay or should we do another one. Some people are advising us on amendment of the house, however I feel is better to loose money than to loose lives. Pls what do you think also note that the house has not been roofed yet. Thank you for your help.
What is the nature of your land?
Your story though.....But why didn't u engage another engineer since he traveled?
Or u felt it was waste of funds engaging an engineer to supervise a bungalow?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rabcnesbit: 5:58pm On Mar 18, 2018
Still on the subject of water tank stand to hold two 2000L tanks to serve four units (two down, two up) of 3 bed flats (didn't get much response to my original post, except from snakebeat, many thanks sir!), what is the advantages/disadvantages between the two different arrangements below (i.e. first picture shows the two water tanks on the same level, whilst second picture shows one water tank each on different levels). Thank you.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by snakebeat: 6:07pm On Mar 18, 2018
rabcnesbit:
Still on the subject of water tank stand to hold two 2000L tanks to serve four units (two down, two up) of 3 bed flats (didn't get much response to my original post, except from snakebeat, many thanks sir!), what is the advantages/disadvantages between the two different arrangements below (i.e. first picture shows the two water tanks on the same level, whilst second picture shows one water tank each on different levels). Thank you.

Pressure for the lower floor is the advantage for the first pic.
Second pic will have more balance regarding wind effect, as the weight spreads from lower level to upper level.
But 2000 litres for 2units of 3bedroom flat?
I will advise u design a six leg tank stand, split the capacity to 1500 litres serving each unit, making a total of 3000 litres per floor.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by TOKNOW: 6:12pm On Mar 18, 2018
Rubbiish:

What is the nature of your land?
Your story though.....But why didn't u engage another engineer since he traveled?
Or u felt it was waste of funds engaging an engineer to supervise a bungalow?
It's a swampy region, but was sand filled. The block moulding was actually supervised by another person, however I think it was not properly done .
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bobotolen(m): 6:18pm On Mar 18, 2018
We are into interlocks and pave. Check my profile for details. We can also work anywhere in Nigerian and the price is affordable. Call 09078014661

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 6:19pm On Mar 18, 2018
TOKNOW:

Kindly post pictures of your build and the affected parts.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:25pm On Mar 18, 2018
1) As stated before, jerking off on moulding your own blocks is nonsensical unless there's adequate supervision for the entire process.

2) Never rely on the average Nigerian block to be load bearing. Most are at best partition materials.

3) Hiring an Engineer is not enough. It's an experienced and available supervision that is necessary.

4) Don't rush to build, there's no award for a fast finish. Be diligent on your builds to avoid wastefulness (I realize that this a cuss word to some cretins on here).

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 6:27pm On Mar 18, 2018
TOKNOW:

It's a swampy region, but was sand filled. The block moulding was actually supervised by another person, however I think it was not properly done .

Why do you think the blocks were not properly done?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jabolo(m): 7:00pm On Mar 18, 2018
bixton:

Kindly quote alternative price .

I got N200/sq. m for mine but it was probably because it was the same guy finishing off the P-O-P so he wanted to continue on site.

I'm not one for screwing artisans to the bone in these tough times so I think N250 - N300/sq. m is probably fair.

Hope this helps.

Location - Portharcout

Edit: For further reference, my total area is about double yours but I'm getting the screeding done for just under N1m

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:03pm On Mar 18, 2018
jabolo:

I got N200/sq. m for mine but it was probably because it was the same guy finishing off the P-O-P so he wanted to continue on site.

N300/sq. m is probably fair.

Hope this helps.

That's a very good motivation for both parties and what I use on my site sometimes.

These prices are also dependent on location, size of job and future commerce.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rabcnesbit: 7:13pm On Mar 18, 2018
snakebeat:

Pressure for the lower floor is the advantage for the first pic.
Second pic will have more balance regarding wind effect, as the weight spreads from lower level to upper level.
But 2000 litres for 2units of 3bedroom flat?
I will advise u design a six leg tank stand, split the capacity to 1500 litres serving each unit, making a total of 3000 litres per floor.

Okay, thank you. Will there be a significant loss in pressure to the lower floor if one goes for the second design which is more stable as you say? Also, already have a 2000L tank purchased for the building work, hence reason I was planning to go for the two 2000L combination and not the already bought 2000L tank go to waste.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 7:15pm On Mar 18, 2018
snakebeat:

H Beams are steel in H form
While galvanized pipe are in circular form.
But u will need to engange an experience welder & a manson to supervise the construction if u are building on a good soil. but if your land is waterlogged, u may need to involve a professional.

Bros this single stainless steel pipe seems a cost effective approach for a 1000L tank for a duplex but what about its safety?

CC:aventures, abdulwastecx, diodarves, segczy, rotecch etc
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 7:22pm On Mar 18, 2018
jabolo:

I'm not one for screwing artisans to the bone in these tough times so I think N250 - N300/sq. m is probably fair.

Hope this helps.

Location - Portharcout

Edit: For further reference, my total area is about double yours but I'm getting the screeding done for just under N1m

It's not about screwing artisans but the responder shouted outrageous without quoting an alternative price.
#200-#250 is fine. The most important is doing a good job.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Shegman22(m): 7:29pm On Mar 18, 2018
jabolo:

Hope this helps.

Location - Portharcout

u can never see a good screeder in Lagos that will quote 200naira per sqm .. lowest u will see is 350naira per sqm

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 7:33pm On Mar 18, 2018
rabcnesbit:

Okay, thank you. Will there be a significant loss in pressure to the lower floor if one goes for the second design which is more stable as you say? Also, already have a 2000L tank purchased for the building work, hence reason I was planning to go for the two 2000L combination and not the already bought 2000L tank go to waste.

Whichever you choose will work. As long as the height of the tank stand is not beneath the middle point of your roof.
Use the right materials, get a good welder to fabricate it with sufficient braces.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 7:45pm On Mar 18, 2018
Shegman22:
u can never see a good screeder in Lagos that will quote 200naira per sqm .. lowest u will see is 350naira per sqm
Guess all those who paid #200 hired artisans still in training for the job.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bobotolen(m): 7:57pm On Mar 18, 2018
We can do the screeding for you at 500 naira plus cost of materials. Meaning for the total area of 981sqm, we will charge u #490,500.
maingain:

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bobotolen(m): 8:02pm On Mar 18, 2018
Call this number for more info 09078014661
bobotolen:
We can do the screeding for you at 500 naira plus cost of materials. Meaning for the total area of 981sqm, we will charge u #490,500.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:02pm On Mar 18, 2018
rabcnesbit:
My people. Good afternoon to you all and peace be unto you. I need your advice please regarding doing the flooring of my compound. What are the different types? I know the common one is interlocking, but I have reservation about this because the growth of weed later on on the surface (see attached picture. PS. that is not my compound, just a picture for illustration). I was thinking more of just concrete (is this what is called concrete stamping) like done in the past as my experience of this is that weed never sprout out from underneath. So what is the best method in terms of prevent weed sprouting through (thus lower maintenance), costs and durability? Thank you!

I'm currently doing this in parts of my compound.

I chose to do regular concrete, not stamped but patterned, over interlock. With interlock, even if you use plastic membrane, sand can still gather on top of the membrane between the bricks and allow seeds to germinate. It will require constant maintenance.

You should consider your compound usage and amount of time you will use to maintain it.

Good luck on your decision.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 8:07pm On Mar 18, 2018
TOKNOW:

Anything done on a swampy land requires professional attention.
You will need to get a professional to visit your site, before taking any further decision.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:08pm On Mar 18, 2018
Chief Zebrudaiya alias 4:30.........wonderment.
Gringori, are you seeing what i am seeing.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rabcnesbit: 8:12pm On Mar 18, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I'm currently doing this in parts of my compound.

I chose to do regular concrete, not stamped but patterned, over interlock. With interlock, even if you plastic membrane, sand can still gather on top of the membrane between the bricks and allow seeds to germinate. It will require constant maintenance.

You should consider your compound usage and amount of time you will use to maintain it.

Good luck on your decision.

Thank you very much for you response. What are the materials required and roughly how much is cost of labour and quantity of material (per say square metre)?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by snakebeat: 8:13pm On Mar 18, 2018
ceelog:

Bros this single stainless steel pipe seems a cost effective approach for a 1000L tank for a duplex but what about its safety?

CC:aventures, abdulwastecx, diodarves, segczy, rotecch etc
The steel pipe with one legged stand isn't advisable
I just use it as an example.
One leg stand is a huge risk, regardless of the weight of the tank.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by snakebeat: 8:15pm On Mar 18, 2018
rabcnesbit:

No sir
The second design is cool
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rabcnesbit: 8:18pm On Mar 18, 2018
bixton:

Whichever you choose will work. As long as the height of the tank stand is not beneath the middle point of your roof.
Use the right materials, get a good welder to fabricate it with sufficient braces.

Thank you for the response. When you say "the height of the tank stand is not beneath the middle point of your roof", do you mean the height the lowest tank should be (if I go for the one up, one down arrangement), and sorry if sounds a stupid question, what do you mean by "the middle point of your roof". Thank you?

(1) (2) (3) ... (899) (900) (901) (902) (903) (904) (905) ... (3719) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: diordaves(m), gbadexy(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.