Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,734 members, 7,875,844 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 11:07 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (930) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4529211 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (927) (928) (929) (930) (931) (932) (933) ... (3704) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dejavus: 9:11am On Apr 05, 2018
bixton:

If you do your staircase well you can use the space underneath it at the ground floor level.
Goodluck

Oh absolutely! I have noticed a lot of house in Nigeria do not make provision for storage aside of the store room attached to the Kitchen/Pantry.

Using the space under the stairs is very important for me also like a walk in storage.

Thanks for pointing that out too.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 11:44am On Apr 05, 2018
dejavus:

Oh absolutely! I have noticed a lot of house in Nigeria do not make provision for storage aside of the store room attached to the Kitchen/Pantry.

Using the space under the stairs is very important for me also like a walk in storage.

Thanks for pointing that out too.
I Love this idea...u are right.
It's common that just pantry being attached to the kitchen.

I can recall one of my works...Leaving the kitchen and heading out to the veranda you will see a door for external storage.

I think for those duplexes and storey buildings,the stairway stuff is okay.
For design or building with large garage,it's good to have a mechanical storage, Material storage (underneath the stairway) and pantry for food stock.
These might depend on the taste of the owner/client.

Following you ogas.
#cornerstone
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 12:42pm On Apr 05, 2018
bixton:

If you do your staircase well you can use the space underneath it at the ground floor level.
Goodluck
Sir are u an architect? If u enclose the underneath of stairway, how do u factor in ventilation?
Will not be too dark?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 12:44pm On Apr 05, 2018
Barryton:
Nothing does more damage to a brand than inability to manage one's anger. It only shows how u manage your clients. Pls lets be civil.

Expert in the house pls which have more advantage btw concrete & steel tank stand?
Thanks
Go for steel water tank stand
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 12:45pm On Apr 05, 2018
Timtol:

I Love this idea...u are right.
It's common that just pantry being attached to the kitchen.

I can recall one of my works...Leaving the kitchen and heading out to the veranda you will see a door for external storage.

I think for those duplexes and storey buildings,the stairway stuff is okay.
For design or building with large garage,it's good to have a mechanical storage, Material storage (underneath the stairway) and pantry for food stock.
These might depend on the taste of the owner/client.

Following you ogas.
#cornerstone
Do u actually think is healthy to use underneath of staircase as an architect?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 2:13pm On Apr 05, 2018
johnson232:

To my opinion, yes and no but if it were me I will not do such.
Artificial lighting might be use when the closure wall is included but will be stuffy so I finally don't support.
Some might still like such cos we are different, some people can give u thousands of reason why they want it like that.

Thanks
#cornerstone
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 2:42pm On Apr 05, 2018
johnson232:

Sir are u an architect? If u enclose the underneath of stairway, how do u factor in ventilation?
Will not be too dark?

In that particular design you don't need ventilation for its purpose which will be up to the client.
A cabinet of whatever size can fit in there and your design preference depends on its usage.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 2:50pm On Apr 05, 2018
bixton:

In that particular design you don't need ventilation for its purpose which will be up to the client.
A cabinet of whatever size can fit in there and your design preference depends on its usage.
love this
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 2:53pm On Apr 05, 2018
johnson232:

There is no known health risk towards using the underneath of a staircase.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dejavus: 3:27pm On Apr 05, 2018
Can anyone practically say the amount of Hot water that is used on a daily basis in a typical Nigerian household?

For example do people typically require hot water for bathing daily or for cooking etc. reason for my question is I see a lot of houses installed water heater in each bathroom but hardly get a chance to use these due to lack of electricity or these were not installed properly from the start and hence its just an expensive decor for the bathroom.

Personally I don't think we make use of hot water so much as to warrant a dedicated heater for each bathroom. I am looking a installing Evacuated solar tubes to get free heating from the sun rather than using electricity for heating, on the flip side if the electricity is readily available, it might not be such a bad idea as the boiling will be on an adhoc basis.

I would ideally want to know if I want to implement Solar heating Tubes as this will determine the type of roof design, I will definitely be using solar for all the lighting at the minimum.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 3:40pm On Apr 05, 2018
dejavus:
Can anyone practically say the amount of Hot water that is used on a daily basis in a typical Nigerian household?

For example do people typically require hot water for bathing daily or for cooking etc. reason for my question is I see a lot of houses installed water heater in each bathroom but hardly get a chance to use these due to lack of electricity or these were not installed properly from the start and hence its just an expensive decor for the bathroom.

Personally I don't think we make use of hot water so much as to warrant a dedicated heater for each bathroom. I am looking a installing Evacuated solar tubes to get free heating from the sun rather than using electricity for heating, on the flip side if the electricity is readily available, it might not be such a bad idea as the boiling will be on an adhoc basis.

I would ideally want to know if I want to implement Solar heating Tubes as this will determine the type of roof design, I will definitely be using solar for all the lighting at the minimum.

Kindly enlighten us about this solar heating tubes workability

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 4:07pm On Apr 05, 2018
spyder880:

Scary. Very scary scenario. Yet some clients won't care. They just collect the quote with the least cost and pay.
My Oga, you can't even start to phatom the scale .

Everyday these things are shipped in truck loads out of Lagos, particularly to the East and Far north where the market is booming because there is less awareness and options arent too many.

Clients who do that , do so out of ignorance.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 4:15pm On Apr 05, 2018
Gardenng:
Can 5 million build three bedroom flat?

Even 2Million will build one and 20Million may not finish another of same size!

it all depends on the QUALITY and TASTE you want to put into it.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 4:21pm On Apr 05, 2018
money121:

grin grin grin
Thanks my oga at the Top. With ur review I just dey do yanga, abi ooo I told him this morning oga am not forcing u no be by force ooo. Abi who ur 1.5m epp sef na God talk say make we sef don built house before.... Hahahaha

I don't really have ideal about POP but if Na that ur mansion I think the price dey okay...

This is a silly thing to say, when referring to a potential customer!

maybe you are good as your reviews but let me remind you that before now, there have been hundreds of business that were good, got good reviews and just like the path you are begining to tow, it got into their heads and they start taking, one, two, three customers for granted.

TODAY, those businesses are no more, as in dead!

Whatever way the discussion goes, always be Polite and respect your customers (current or potential).
He may not do business with you today (for reasons best known to him), but you never can say what tomorrow will bring.

Customer is 'king' is not just for mouth.
Humility takes a man where he does not even dream-of.

Wish you more business.

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:22pm On Apr 05, 2018
dejavus:

As for me, individual water heaters are a waste unless they are tankless and even those can be argued against the necessity. For my apartment garage there is no water heater, it's not necessary. The courtyard bungalow will indeed have a water heater but it will be a central one that will only be piped to the 3 restrooms.

I salute you for thinking about alternatives. I find a lot of people just do follow follow without trying to decide what works best for them.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:31pm On Apr 05, 2018
In regards to understairs space.

It is a very useful real estate that can be used for a variety of things such as restroom, storage, media center.

The space can be made light and airy with passive methods. Easily.

For air exchange, a regular or solar powered whirlybird can be used. For light, depending on the location of the stairs especially if it's next to an exterior wall, a light tube will provide light during the day.

Building technology is out there to be used. They've designed and manufactured it, now it's up to us to integrate it. Let's stop limiting ourselves.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:33pm On Apr 05, 2018
allCopacetic:

My Oga, you can't even start to phatom the scale .

Everyday these things are shipped in truck loads out of Lagos, particularly to the East and Far north where the market is booming because there is less awareness and options arent too many.

Clients who do that , do so out of ignorance.

And sellers who do that, do it out of greed and lack of empathy for humanity.

This is one of the reasons why I don't know what the military is waiting for to take over already.

The fake materials should never be allowed to enter the country let alone be available for sale.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 4:42pm On Apr 05, 2018
EgunMogaji:

And sellers who do that, do it out of greed and lack of empathy for humanity.

This is one of the reasons why I don't know what the military is waiting for to take over already.

The fake materials should never be allowed to enter the country let alone be available for sale.
No doubt, Which is why people need to protect themselves from the likes
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dejavus: 4:47pm On Apr 05, 2018
EgunMogaji:

As for me, individual water heaters are a waste unless they are tankless and even those can be argued against the necessity. For my apartment garage there is no water heater, it's not necessary. The courtyard bungalow will indeed have a water heater but it will be a central one that will only be piped to the 3 restrooms.

I salute you for thinking about alternatives. I find a lot of people just do follow follow without trying to decide what works best for them.

I like the practicality and sentiments in your your post when necessary, mostly punctuated with the line that what works for you may not work for anyone else.

EgunMogaji:
In regards to understairs space.

It is a very useful real estate that can be used for a variety of things such as restroom, storage, media center.

The space can be made light and airy with passive methods. Easily.

For air exchange, a regular or solar powered whirlybird can be used. For light, depending on the location of the stairs especially if it's next to an exterior wall, a light tube will provide light during the day.

Building technology is out there to be used. They've designed and manufactured it, now it's up to us to integrate it. Let's stop limiting ourselves.

I am kind of a DIY person myself and I have quite some tools and I am a Gadget/Media freak, I currently use a similar storage in my current abode for multiple purposes e.g. Printer room, Media Server room, switch and my networking kits.

Yes I totally agree with no limiting our scope, hence everything has to been though of right from the design stage.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:53pm On Apr 05, 2018
allCopacetic:

What are you professionals doing about it as an association?

I'm hoping that there is some sort of association for electrical distributors?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 4:58pm On Apr 05, 2018
Thanks for such enlightenment everyone
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 5:13pm On Apr 05, 2018
allCopacetic:

Its better to tackle a proble from the 'source'.

Those who engage in this kind of activity that usually lead to loss of life whould be labelled economic saboteurs, traitors and should be arrested, jailed for LIFE or just shot at Bar Beach, to make things simpler.

But why is it always or mostly "Eze-something" folks that engages in this sort of mindless, evil Greed?, not even minding that some innocent families will die as a result of their "get-rich-quick-at-all-cost" attitude?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 5:32pm On Apr 05, 2018
https://www.nairaland.com/4436147/families-disagree-over-building-renovation

I'm in a similar situation and may be forced to do same. Inheritance, African style. So funny.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BankeSmalls(f): 5:53pm On Apr 05, 2018
Daboomb:

Those who engage in this kind of activity that usually lead to loss of life whould be labelled economic saboteurs, traitors and should be arrested, jailed for LIFE or just shot at Bar Beach, to make things simpler.

But why is it always or mostly "Eze-something" folks that engages in this sort of mindless, evil Greed?, not even minding that some innocent families will die as a result of their "get-rich-quick-at-all-cost" attitude?

Exactly, but I think we should start first by shooting the ritual murderers whose name always begin with "Tunji something" I even think their own greed is worse, butchering humans in cold blood and vandalizing the spare parts as a result of their get-rich-or-die-trying attitude?

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:12pm On Apr 05, 2018
diordaves:
https://www.nairaland.com/4436147/families-disagree-over-building-renovation

I'm in a similar situation and may be forced to do same. Inheritance, African style. So funny.

It's amazing what happens when parents die.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by happney65: 6:17pm On Apr 05, 2018
EgunMogaji:

It's amazing what happens when parents die.

Happens in a family where the Man cannot keep his dick in place..those that have more than one wife..with lots of children and wives littered all over the place..Stuffs like this do not happen in a nuclear family.

For those who know Adeseun Ogundoyin,His houses are littered all over Ibadan,empty and not occupied..There is one at Ajeigbe Junction..A storey building abandoned just beside the road..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 6:28pm On Apr 05, 2018
Daboomb:

This is a silly thing to say, when referring to a potential customer!

maybe you are good as your reviews but let me remind you that before now, there have been hundreds of business that were good, got good reviews and just like the path you are begining to tow, it got into their heads and they start taking, one, two, three customers for granted.

TODAY, those businesses are no more, as in dead!

Whatever way the discussion goes, always be Polite and respect your customers (current or potential).
He may not do business with you today (for reasons best known to him), but you never can say what tomorrow will bring.

Customer is 'king' is not just for mouth.
Humility takes a man where he does not even dream-of.

Wish you more business.

Silly comment..
Oga park well we already resolved this issue so pls don't bring it up again.

And pls stop quoting me.

Customers is a king? So I should produce materials worth 1.5m without any deposit.. becos his a customer?
If that's how u handle ur business go ahead but for me is NO

And I repeat am not forcing him to buy from me.

Who 1.5m Epp angry angry

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:32pm On Apr 05, 2018
happney65:

Happens in a family where the Man cannot keep his dick in place..those that have more than one wife..with lots of children and wives littered all over the place..Stuffs like this do not happen in a nuclear family.

For those who know Adeseun Ogundoyin,His houses are littered all over Ibadan,empty and not occupied..There is one at Ajeigbe Junction..A storey building abandoned just beside the road..

I've seen it happen too in regular families. It has to do more with egos in my opinion.

I know Ajeigbe junction very well, and the Ajeigbes too actually.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by happney65: 6:45pm On Apr 05, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I've seen it happen too in regular families. It has to do more with egos in my opinion.

I know Ajeigbe junction very well, and the Ajeigbes too actually.

Havent seen it happen in a nuclear family though..Maybe Ego too sha,but i think it has to do with children who's aim is only to acquire their parents properties without working for theirs
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 6:49pm On Apr 05, 2018
My humble man @mufutua55 is just following in silence... I greet you boss on top.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 6:58pm On Apr 05, 2018
Daboomb:

I believe Tackling from the source should start from not letting the items get through the ports in the first place. and stopping its sale or distribution if for any reason it slips through the ports.This is possible only when we have Institutions that work.

From the Govt , to Customs, to SON ..all are complicit .
SON is stationed at the ports, SON visits Alaba weekly. Yet the market is flooded, how do you explain that. If institutions work it wouldn't matter how greedy importers are ... you simply cannot perpetrate your fraud.

Greed has no tribe or colour .
95% of electrical importation is done by Ibos , by Implication both the best and worst goods will come from that pool.
Don't forget that even the good items available in the market are Imported and sold by Ezesomethings too, not Abubakars or Oluseguns. And the facilitators at SON and co are not Ezesomethings

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 7:09pm On Apr 05, 2018
EgunMogaji:

What are you professionals doing about it as an association?

I'm hoping that there is some sort of association for electrical distributors?

The same thing l'm doing ... Stick to selling the right thing and consumer education.
If the government cannot help you, you have to help yourself. It is a Sad thing, but that's the reality of our situation.we're all O-Y-O in this country.
A government that cannot provide security, water, or basic infastructure is not a govt that is bothered about what kind of wire you use for your house

Which association Sir? Lol @ association.. If the government and it's Institutions cannot enforce quality control , I wonder who will. Ordinary piracy and copyright dem never tackle, talkess of something that puts billions in the right pockets.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (927) (928) (929) (930) (931) (932) (933) ... (3704) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: cynic411(f), Tosdam(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.