Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,837 members, 7,915,402 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 10:49 PM

Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles (33981 Views)

Ahmed Musa Mobbed By Fans At Mosque In Abuja (Photos) / Wings Of African Pride: FIFA Releases World Cup Slogans For Super Eagles, Others / FG Budgets N3 Billion For Super Eagles For 2018 World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by mightyokwy(m): 12:17pm On Oct 07, 2015
harbeedaymee:
People who are supporting Enyeama blindly are just being sentimentally foolish. Oliseh would not just take a decision like this without any reason. A leader has to lead by example sad sad angry angry
My dear from all indication oliseh is wrong. There are better way to strip him of the captian band if he thinks that enyeama is not dedicated enough than to humilate him. You can't just kill a man with out hearing his on side of the story. Enyeama just buried his mum last weekend and to me he is not even suppose to be invited for this game bcs he may not be psychologically balanced now. Believe me if is this were to be in adveanced countries like Germany or England he would not be invited for this game but is quit unfortunate we found our self in a country where fire brigade approach is only the way out.

3 Likes

Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by meccuno: 12:17pm On Oct 07, 2015
kelvyn7:

triberlist spotted
grin. "Triberlist"
Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by fejikudz(m): 12:18pm On Oct 07, 2015
I'm really disappointed with oliseh
Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by MadCow1: 12:20pm On Oct 07, 2015
Goke7:

I think we are on the same page, the way Oliseh handled the matter is the reason why lots of guys including me are condemning him but like I said earlier, he is too inexperienced for the job he is handling. If you don't want a player, don't invite him simple. keshi never wanted the likes of martins, osaze, taiwo and others even Yobo and he did not invite them despite all the noise from nigerians until the world cup when he considered osaze and yobo but many senior players like yakubu and martins who were still active never got invited by keshi. Prevention they say is better than cure. I hope oliseh learns fast on the job

That's the thing.

If Enyeama was invited to Camp, I want to take it for granted that Oliseh wanted him in his team and that there was no hard feelings from the incident involving his Mums funeral.

It may also be that Enyeama and Oliseh's recent beef is unrelated to the funeral issue.

You have also name dropped some old players like Yobo and co. Remember that Keshi's mission was to rebuild a new team with younger and more home grown players that have the hunger and drive to succeed. Inviting these names you called for all matches would have defeated that purpose don't you think? Yakubu and co may have been active, but what was their productivity rates in their various clubs.

Speaking of Ahmed Musa, I think he deserves the Captains Armband.

He is very dedicated, Gives 110% all day on the pitch for Nigeria and himself and Wolvehamptons Carl Ikeme are currently Nigerias Most inform Strikers and probably the only Nigerians playing week in, week out in their clubs.

Ahmed will make a Good Captain.

Lets allow Oliseh build his team the way it suits him. If he succeeds, good.. if he fails, he will also take full responsibility for it. All we the fans want is a winning streak and trophies.
Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by dozai: 12:23pm On Oct 07, 2015
THE REAL STORY BEHIND THE RIFT:

XCLUSIVE By Johnny Edward:

Completesportsnigeria.com can exclusively report today the real story behind the clash between Super Eagles coach Sunday Oliseh and (former) captain Vincent Enyeama on Tuesday night.

A source within the team's camp in Belgium, who witnessed the incident, narrated the dramatic confrontation that led to the initial expulsion and recall of Enyeama.

While the story doing the rounds is that the battle started because Oliseh shouted down Enyeama while the Lille keeper was trying to explain his late arrival in camp, Completesportsnigeria.com learnt that was not exactly how it went down.

Oliseh, according to our source, had no issue with Enyeama arriving in camp on Tuesday instead of Monday, since the coach was aware that the keeper was recently bereaved and buried his late mum over the weekend.

But the clash started when, while holding a meeting with the players after their evening training session which Enyeama attended but did not participate in, Oliseh mentioned Ahmed Musa as the team captain. Enyeama was said to have rudely interrupted the coach's speech at this point, the Lille keeper insisting that he was the captain, not Musa.

This interruption apparently riled Oliseh, who ordered Enyeama to let him (Oliseh) address his players in peace. But Enyeama continued talking, raising his voice at the coach.

When Oliseh could not take it anymore, he ordered that Enyeama leave the venue of the meeting as he felt the keeper was undermining his (Oliseh's) authority.

When Enyeama refused to leave, Oliseh asked for the goalkeeper to be forcibly removed from the Verviers Hotel camp by security men.

But five senior players in the squad: Mikel Obi, Ogenyi Onazi, Ahmed Musa, Elderson Echiejile and Emmanuel Emenike, waded in and all went to Oliseh's room to plead on behalf of Enyeama.

Also there were telephone calls from the Nigerian Football Federation President Amaju Pinnick and even some big Nigerian politicians to have the matter resolved.

"Enyeama was rude to Oliseh, no doubt. Oliseh has so many issues to deal with, especially the inability of six home-based players to get visas to join the squad, and the possibility of Godfrey Oboabona missing the match, and he doesn't need this additional distraction " a top official told Completesportsnigeria.com, before corroborating the first source's narration of events..

"The embarrassment he got from Enyeama in the presence of the other players was uncalled for and disappointing.

"Oliseh just announced that Ahmed Musa remains his captain and Enyeama flared up. He was told his response wasn't needed by the coach but Enyeama was angered and would not back down.

"He was asked to excuse the meeting and when he didn't, Oliseh asked for him to be bundled out of the team's camp, contrary to reports in the media that Enyeama was asked to shut up while trying to explain his late arrival, which wasn't even an issue.

"For goodness sake, a coach has the right to pick his captain for the team. New coaches do it all the time."

The source went further to explain that for Oliseh to drive down to Lille at the start of the Ligue 1 season to discuss the rebuilding process of the Super Eagles with Enyeama shows how much he respects the former Enyimba star.

"Oliseh wasn't given the respect he deserved. He (Oliseh) is not a saint and might not be completely blameless, but Enyeama should respect the coach; he is the boss," the source added.

There were also hints from the team's camp that Oliseh was not happy that Enyeama arrived early enough to train with the team on Tuesday, only to spend the entire time chatting with team secretary Dayo Enebi, asking questions about the new players in the squad, while Carl Ikeme was the only other goalkeeper in camp and the team would need two for a full session.

Now you can comment:

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by damosky12(m): 12:24pm On Oct 07, 2015
omonnakoda:

Your command of English is nothing to write home about . I will have no problem with him addressing the press in Hausa if he cannot speak English though there is no evidence that is the case [b/] .Clearly you are a prejudiced bigot.What do you mean by "class"? What "class" has Mikel got? That Musa doesn't ( It is not [b]"doesnt" as you ignorantly wrote)
You are just a spiteful little inconsequential worm

It's not "command of English", it is command of English language. It isn't "write home about", it is "ride home about". "there is no evidence that it is the case ".. Is that English language?
Deal with the log in your eye first

2 Likes

Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by Nobody: 12:25pm On Oct 07, 2015
john4reala:
Oloshi ... Enyeama is a successful footballer ...
I know that. What I meant is how are they going to feel?
Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by omonnakoda: 12:27pm On Oct 07, 2015
damosky12:

It's not "command of English", it is command of English language. It isn't "write home about", it is "ride home about". "there is no evidence that it is the case ".. Is that English language?
Deal with the log in your eye first
Clearly you need medication!!
Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by mightyokwy(m): 12:28pm On Oct 07, 2015
Goke7:

@the bolded, what do you expect from an inexperienced coach?
My brother me tire sef. Oliseh him self would not take such treatment, infact is unacceptable to any right thinking person.
After AFCON 2013 enyeama announced his retirement but they all begged him to come back nd he accepted but is quit unfortunate that this is the best way to pay him back. Imagine someone who buried his mum last weekend and he is expect to abandon his family immidiately. He is not even suppose to be invited for the game. No respect for the player, the family and the dead woman. This is what the junior players look at and get discouraged

1 Like

Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by Nobody: 12:30pm On Oct 07, 2015
I lyk dat.....dat guys ego is getting 2 much......mstchewww!!!!
Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by datribune: 12:31pm On Oct 07, 2015
Oliseh doesn't hav d temperament to run our national team. Yoruba call dis " ari iyawo kọ iyale". dis wouldn't hav happened if Oliseh had not discovered Carl Ikeme. Now, he thinks he can do without Enyeama
Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by Nobody: 12:32pm On Oct 07, 2015
emmasege:
I hope Sunday has not started smoking igbo (weed). He's on a mission to force certain players out of the team. If he doesn't need them again, let him rather not invite them. How can a sane coach byepass Enyeama and Mikel and make Musa the captain. Why was Kanu who was younger and obviously more popular/influential not made the captain over him in oliseh's playing days?
It doesnt happen in any human society to make a junior person the superior. You will rather first send the senior players to retirement by not inviting them, in order to create space for Musa.
Furthermore, I hope Musa has started speaking good English sha.
broda use ur head na. Oliseh's reason is valid. Mikel has not been patriotic enough and a host of them who deliberately refuse to honor invitations like Moses too. Enyeama had said it after d World Cup that he may retire soon. I just feel those of u ranting are doing so because it is musa that is the coach choice because am sure if it was one of those like onazi and co u won't hav problems
Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by kelvyn7: 12:33pm On Oct 07, 2015
meccuno:
grin. "Triberlist"

grin grin grin
Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by Iamvictor(m): 12:35pm On Oct 07, 2015
Oliseh Is threading on the path of failure already...
Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by friends4ever(m): 12:43pm On Oct 07, 2015
grin
Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by Excuzeme: 12:47pm On Oct 07, 2015
eazysmiles:
I think he deserves it. That boy has performed when Nigeria needed someone to rise to the occasion. In fact , he happens to be one of few nigerian players that still perform in Europe week-in week-out. sad

I agree with you on the "performance" levels.

But Captain-ship is not about the best performance at club level.

A Captain is someone most of all,
*who others will listen to.
* Who commands respect of their colleagues (not necessarily the best player)
*Someone who can bring all members together
*Someone who can speak and enjoys the confidence of mates
*Someone who has a track record to refer to
*Someone who is level-headed

What l think Oliseh should have done is to tell them that he will chose his Captain at every match. No permanent Captain
But then, l think Oliseh is starting badly, you dont need to ridicule someone like Enyeama in the team (calling Police/Security to bundle him out!).
There are so many subtle ways of achieving the same objective.
It just shows that like most Nigerians, when you give them "a spoon" of power, they become POWER DRUNK!

Oliseh should apologise to Nigerians, then to Enyeama and bring him back with the left hand.... while still insisting that he wants to chnage the Captain. PRIDE GOES BEFORE A FALL.... Oliseh needs to be careful

I am proud to say that Enyeama ( like Musa whom l love so much, his dedication is 100% ) is one of the few players in the Nigerian team that l can stick my neck out for.

1 Like

Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by kingthreat(m): 12:49pm On Oct 07, 2015
Enyeama has been on the goal posts for the past more than 13 years. Abeg make him go rest enjoy dogmeat from his village else his departure will be worst than his brother, the over-heavyweight obese Samuel Peter
Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by Horlaz(m): 12:52pm On Oct 07, 2015
emmasege:
I hope Sunday has not started smoking igbo (weed). He's on a mission to force certain players out of the team. If he doesn't need them again, let him rather not invite them. How can a sane coach byepass Enyeama and Mikel and make Musa the captain. Why was Kanu who was younger and obviously more popular/influential not made the captain over him in oliseh's playing days?
It doesnt happen in any human society to make a junior person the superior. You will rather first send the senior players to retirement by not inviting them, in order to create space for Musa.Furthermore, I hope Musa has started speaking good English sha.
na only nigeria league u dey watch Wt of Captain ramsey @wales b4 it ws given to asley william bcs of his(ramsey) injury plague, wt of neyma,messi,van persie nd so on lyk dt...
Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by lomprico(m): 12:56pm On Oct 07, 2015
front247:
Musa showed patriotism and commitment he deserved d captainship
So enyama is not patriotic?
Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by Montaque(m): 1:02pm On Oct 07, 2015
they should not scatter my darling super eagles.
that's my team, my club and my country, and I ve got no other.
Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by Nobody: 1:07pm On Oct 07, 2015
The fear of GMB is the beginning of greatness and change in every corner of Nigeria
Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by Goke7: 1:08pm On Oct 07, 2015
MadCow1:

That's the thing.

If Enyeama was invited to Camp, I want to take it for granted that Oliseh wanted him in his team and that there was no hard feelings from the incident involving his Mums funeral.

It may also be that Enyeama and Oliseh's recent beef is unrelated to the funeral issue.

You have also name dropped some old players like Yobo and co. Remember that Keshi's mission was to rebuild a new team with younger and more home grown players that have the hunger and drive to succeed. Inviting these names you called for all matches would have defeated that purpose don't you think? Yakubu and co may have been active, but what was their productivity rates in their various clubs.

Speaking of Ahmed Musa, I think he deserves the Captains Armband.

He is very dedicated, Gives 110% all day on the pitch for Nigeria and himself and Wolvehamptons Carl Ikeme are currently Nigerias Most inform Strikers and probably the only Nigerians playing week in, week out in their clubs.

Ahmed will make a Good Captain.

Lets allow Oliseh build his team the way it suits him. If he succeeds, good.. if he fails, he will also take full responsibility for it. All we the fans want is a winning streak and trophies.

That is where Oliseh is getting it wrong, even if its unrelated to the mum's funeral, you don't call security to eject a player who is still
mourning his mum's death to settle any kind of scores. Oliseh might be laying a bad precedence despite his desire to rebuild his team. I was one of keshi's fan for all the decisions he made as coach cos he was man enough to drop players we all know were not relevant at all like Haruna Lukman who messed up big time against Tanzania.

As for me, I have no issues with ahmed musa being Nigeria's captain since its his decision as long as he is also ready to abide with the consequences of that decision, he should not treat musa that way too in the future, these players are full grown adults and fathers for that matter just like Oliseh and they should be treated with highest form of respect. its a privilege to be a coach and the likes of Eyeama, Musa or Mikel can be coaches tommorrow just like Oliseh, siasia, Eguavoen, keshi, Ike Shorunmu who we all watch as Players back in the days.

The National team is nobody's property but has a collective ownership of all Nigerians and Oliseh must understand that.
Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by HeavenShield: 1:16pm On Oct 07, 2015
This is nt the right time nowww..The guy just came back from the mother's burial..why not tolerate him for now just to show compassion. He will leave capt aincy someday. Why push him out like this..why nt bench him then he will leave alone. Infact what's his offence sef?
Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 1:20pm On Oct 07, 2015
searay:
Can you clearly state a case where Eyeama disappointed Nigeria?
I just remembered when Larger back sidelined Eyeama
Have you forgotten the Kaduna incidence where he made remarks to the effect that Kaduna was not safe for the match inspire of the fact that the crisis are more prevalent in the north east. Did you think of what that could do to the morale of the players he was leading? How about when he just went absent during a match only for us to hear later on that his mother died? With all respect to his late mum, he could have communicated it to the coach early, but he vanished quietly and came to explain later, I say that was silly and irresponsible. He sabotaged siasia several times and Nigerians defended him all along. Enyeama is a very good keeper but truth be told, he has acted childishly many a time and is not fit to be the captain of the national team.

1 Like

Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by adeka005: 1:36pm On Oct 07, 2015
I honestly think the Nigerian team should concentrate on the task ahead instead of rumbling over captainship........ after all the team is a very terrible side compared to other African power houses.
Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by mfm04622: 1:38pm On Oct 07, 2015
emmasege:
It doesnt happen in any human society to make a junior person the superior. You will rather first send the senior players to retirement by not inviting them, in order to create space for Musa.

There is time for everything. What has been Mikel's contribution to the national team in the past one year? Since we won the Nations Cup, what has he contributed? How can a player who disrespected his coach be made the captain? Where is that done?
Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by Goke7: 1:46pm On Oct 07, 2015
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:

Have you forgotten the Kaduna incidence where he made remarks to the effect that Kaduna was not safe for the match inspire of the fact that the crisis are more prevalent in the north east. Did you think of what that could do to the morale of the players he was leading? How about when he just went absent during a match only for us to hear later on that his mother died? With all respect to his late mum, he could have communicated it to the coach early, but he vanished quietly and came to explain later, I say that was silly and irresponsible. He sabotaged siasia several times and Nigerians defended him all along. Enyeama is a very good keeper but truth be told, he has acted childishly many a time and is not fit to be the captain of the national team.

I agree with you o so that's why the coach should use security to eject him from the camp like a garage boy, sometimes we should not blame our players when they refuse to show up for National duty, am sure Victor Moses will be having a good laugh, lol mehn moses na sharp guy but do I blame the players. Nigeria is worth it simple.
Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 2:03pm On Oct 07, 2015
Goke7:

I agree with you o so that's why the coach should use security to eject him from the camp like a garage boy, sometimes we should not blame our players when they refuse to show up for National duty, am sure Victor Moses will be having a good laugh, lol mehn moses na sharp guy but do I blame the players. Nigeria is worth it simple.
If the coach used security on him it's very likely he resisted him and tried to make trouble. You clearly like enyeama and so do I, I attribute much of the success of the team to him but sometimes a player needs to be taught they are not bigger than the team. I think we should start looking towards alampasu, he is our future.
Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by dckng16(m): 2:14pm On Oct 07, 2015
This is a very bad way to start Oliseh. Just get prepared ur sack letter is dated and already waiting for u. No foreign or local coach has had it good with d team and NFF. These are the baggages that comes with coaching National team, coaches apply wisdom in solving any issues. It Killed Keshi and now it's Oliseh. He had better apply wisdom in solving issues before it is too late for him
Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by Goke7: 3:20pm On Oct 07, 2015
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:

If the coach used security on him it's very likely he resisted him and tried to make trouble. You clearly like enyeama and so do I, I attribute much of the success of the team to him but sometimes a player needs to be taught they are not bigger than the team. I think we should start looking towards alampasu, he is our future.

By using security to disgrace him, you are talking as if Enyeama assaulted Oliseh, its a pity, and you think the alampasu you are talking about will be encouraged with this abi? mhen we are killing our future with the way we embarrass our players and have you wondered why we no longer have players again like the 94 set? no one or coach disgraced Oliseh like this when he was a player, as I can't remember if any security personnel was used to eject oliseh even when he misbehaved. Oliseh should have stopped inviting Enyeama if he no longer needs him. what lesson again is he trying to teach someone who is already close to retirement, it makes no sense bro.

1 Like

Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by mjizzie(m): 3:42pm On Oct 07, 2015
emmasege:
same reason Messi is made d captain ahead of Masherano and co and same reason CR7 is d captain ahead of Pepe and other seniors.. We Nigerians always believe we can do better when some make a step
Re: Oliseh Confirms Musa As New Captain For Super Eagles by Kbs468(m): 3:46pm On Oct 07, 2015
Please we should not allow sentiment becloud our sense of reasoning and I hereby declare my support for Oliseh's decision with the following summary

1 I am yoruba, Oliseh is Igbo and Musa is Hausa, so dont accuse me

2 Oliseh said moving forward into the future, he prefers a younger man for the captainship and not those close to retirement

3 while addressing the players, Enyeama shouldn't have voiced out because he has no right to interupt and challenge the coach except when asked to do so

4 During Enyema's late mother's predicament, he never told Oliseh nor the NFF that he will not be honouring the Tanzanian match due to his mother's death, he only made NFF to keep cancelling his flight arrangement which means they kept wasting Nigerian money until his eventual last minute withdrawal citing the death of his mother

5 He once openly criticised the NFF over their decision to hold the Nigeria vs Chad match in Kaduna. Is Kaduna not part of Nigeria? Some will say because of weather, look almost all of them started from Nigerian league and they travel all around Nigeria

6 Enyeama is known to cause chaos between players and the NFF even right from the time of Siasia

7 some people are mentioning Mikel as next to Enyeama, yes he is but have you forgotten how Mikel refused to see Oliseh after the latter travelled to England before the Tanzanian match? Coupled with his unpatriotic attitude to the national team in the past?

8 Above all, a Boss and surbordinate relationship is deepened in a soup of near perfection with loyalty, trust, humility, simplicity, dedication, commitment, passion, availability, politeness and respect as ingredients which I believe were what Oliseh saw in Musa relative to him the boss as evident in the nature by which Musa went to hug Oliseh after scoring the penalty goal against Niger republic

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Barca To Pay Liverpool Extra €5m After Coutinho Won The UCL For ANOTHER Team / Samantha Cerio: Gymnast Breaks Her Legs During Competition (Photos) / Cheerleaders At Yobo's Testimonial Match

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.