Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,830 members, 7,872,790 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 10:08 PM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (223) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (678660 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) (225) (226) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by semitunde: 1:50pm On Nov 15, 2015
Firefire:

If we can honestly discuss progress without resulting to names calling and abuse or any personal character assassination, it would be of great value.

Looking at Ekiti State, unfortunately the economy of the state at the moment is not robust as the state is being run on budget deficit, with no plan for any infrastructural development.

The few noises made by Fayose is only a media hype.

OK. Can you pls point out the areas you personally think can be improved upon; or areas that critically need prioritised govt engagement, keeping in mind areas that would benefit the populace in terms of employment and / business opportunity?

I like the fact that you see this situation we have found ourselves in the southwest have little political colouration beyond access to, and influence of the federal govt.

Truth is, some governors are just damn lazy when you get to the basics of governance. But they cover up easily by "communicating" - using all means possible, what their populace want to hear.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Firefire(m): 1:51pm On Nov 15, 2015
attacker231:

Honestly, they are all the same. How can Lagos be owing that much debt, same with Ogun and the rest. All the SW governors from 1999 are to be blamed for this nonsense, its annoying.

God bless you.

Starting from the looter Gbenga Daniel in Ogun state, all his OGD Buses are medium used to steal the state dry.

Then to Alao Akala, who used all Oyo state resources to tone his skin and buy necklaces and 'leg-laces'

Then to Olagunsoye Oyinlola of Osun, whose reign shows no developmental project and so on.

We should check the foundation, and now consider how the coming builders lay on it.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 1:52pm On Nov 15, 2015
attacker231:

Honestly, they are all the same. How can Lagos be owing that much debt, same with Ogun and the rest. All the SW governors from 1999 are to be blamed for this nonsense, its annoying.
This is my exact point before they started calling us political jobbers. How can someone say one man is responsible for these debts.
I took my time to get screenshots from 2007 till date for the 4 most affected states so we can elaborate our discussion.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by jaymichael(m): 1:52pm On Nov 15, 2015
Firefire:

smiley

You are missing the logic, Gbaja introduced Aminu to the master for blessing as against supporting our own sister, Hon. Mulikat Akande lati ilu Ogbomoso, because they are not from the same party and for future political gain at the detriment of the region.

Who should we blame ?
Tinubu did not block Dimeji Bankole and Patricia Etteh speakership. Are those ones from the same party with Tinubu? Tambuwal is the reps closest to Gbaja, they have been long time friends, so it is understandable that he (Gbaja) supports or pushes Tambuwal's speakership. Tinubu's interests is an "afterthought" postulated by the opponents of Tinubu.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 1:52pm On Nov 15, 2015
attacker231:

Don't worry, I'm compiling the debt profile of SW states in 2011 vis-a-vis 2014. And you will see how it jumped to Ionosphere within three years.

They all deserve to be lynched.

Lagos' debt is about a sixth of the FG's debt. WTF? And that's the smallest state in the country, albeit it has a huge population. However, why should it be that high?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by kingofdemons: 1:59pm On Nov 15, 2015
cheesy
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Firefire(m): 2:00pm On Nov 15, 2015
semitunde:

OK. Can you pls point out the areas you personally think can be improved upon; or areas that critically need prioritised govt engagement, keeping in mind areas that would benefit the populace in terms of employment and / business opportunity?

I like the fact that you see this situation we have found ourselves in the southwest have little political colouration beyond access to, and influence of the federal govt.

Truth is, some governors are just damn lazy when you get to the basics of governance. But they cover up easily by "communicating" - using all means possible, what their populace want to hear.

The overhype and media noise and propaganda is what me as a person personally hate in our SW governors.

Let the people know the truth without hiding anything.

Beyond creating some functional state department like KAI, O'Yes, Lastma, O' Cadet etc. to create job.

Beyond buying 10 motorcycle, 10 sewing machine, 10k for 10 indigenes... and labeled it constituency project.

I believe the respective state government can make a policy to support SME by providing low interest loan to support their enterprise across the state.

The collected constituency allowance should by the legislators should be well accounted for, and should be deployed to their respective LG and constituency.

We cannot mention any other job creation without mentioning diversification into agriculture, the state government to ensure provision of enough mechanized farming tools that can be rented at a discounted price across the states of SW.

The government can also support the farmers in providing adequate preservation for their farm produce.

And the list continue...

E&OE

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by modath(f): 2:03pm On Nov 15, 2015
attacker231:

You are blessed, End of story... Minus Lagos, all the remaining states have had both APC & PDP govs....

None is better than the other...

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Firefire(m): 2:04pm On Nov 15, 2015
NOW we are all speaking the same language...

No governor should point accusing fingers to another.

During your time, be a good steward by giving the account of your stewardship.

Finito!

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Firefire(m): 2:06pm On Nov 15, 2015
attacker231:

Please do, I am really angry. Lagos state shouldn't be owing a dime with all the IGR, FG Allocation, Local government funds e.t.c. We are in trouble with all these lazy politicians.

The point is clear...

Aligned with your submission.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by modath(f): 2:07pm On Nov 15, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Whaoooh!

Standing ovation for you all.APC ooo,PDP ooo,You all deserve it

Beautiful contributions from y'all I must say.I really love the direction of the thread.Its good to be tolerant

I try na,At least I carry am reach 200 pages grin grin

Peace yo!

Apologies once again.... This thread wont die, we refuse to be frustrated... wink

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 2:09pm On Nov 15, 2015
attacker231:

Please do, I am really angry. Lagos state shouldn't be owing a dime with all the IGR, FG Allocation, Local government funds e.t.c. We are in trouble with all these lazy politicians.

I'm multi-tasking now. But I'll just post what I've got for now to Uncle Gbawe's post and let folks take it from there cos I'm going out. But I'll reply whatever post directed at my mentions when I come back.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Firefire(m): 2:10pm On Nov 15, 2015
attacker231:

Good point, but I do see your post praising Fayose and even calling him the new Awolowo. The Fayose guy is even worst, he has done nothing other than drinking Moet with Amala. Pathetic.

My brother, if you understand the tactics, it's nothing than to catch fun to counter the other praise singers.

Fayose, is not doing enough thou incapacitated but better than Raufu.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Firefire(m): 2:12pm On Nov 15, 2015
attacker231:

I am really mad at Tinubu/Fashola, Lagos state debt is just too high. Kilode naaah.

Please stop speaking my mind.

Eredi ata ko mi ni yi ooooooooooooooooooooo

Eni loju lo ju nti now.

Eyan o le fi owo ra 'Oyi, ko ma ko loju. angry

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Vyolet(f): 2:19pm On Nov 15, 2015
Yoruba commonwealth and politics?
May I know the states entitled to join the conversation or rather those fit to be called yorubas.
I can only read more of Lagos here.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Firefire(m): 2:24pm On Nov 15, 2015
attacker231:

This is the problem, you praise singing him there but trying to criticize him here. Why not criticize him there as well if you truly love the SW, I know you are a PDP guy and dont want to criticize Fayose cos of PDP, but Please learn to be honest. He is worst and not better than anyone, he is only better in drinking Moet with Amala, snapping pictures with market women e.t.c

cheesy
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superduperjay: 2:25pm On Nov 15, 2015
@modath, please what is the meaning of political jobber? undecided
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by modath(f): 2:30pm On Nov 15, 2015
Firefire:

The overhype and media noise and propaganda is what me as a person personally hate in our SW governors.

Let the people know the truth without hiding anything.

Beyond creating some functional state department like KAI, O'Yes, Lastma, O' Cadet etc. to create job.

Beyond buying 10 motorcycle, 10 sewing machine, 10k for 10 indigenes... and labeled it constituency project.

I believe the respective state government can make a policy to support SME by providing low interest loan to support their enterprise across the state.

The collected constituency allowance should by the legislators should be well accounted for, and should be deployed to their respective LG and constituency.

We cannot mention any other job creation without mentioning diversification into agriculture, the state government to ensure provision of enough mechanized farming tools that can be rented at a discounted price across the states of SW.

The government can also support the farmers in providing adequate preservation for their farm produce.

And the list continue...

E&OE

When did states in a non regionised, no fiscal independent federation become FINANCIAL INSTITUTiONS.. cheesy

In your free time, read about FRANNIE MAE & FREDDIE MAC.. it will help you understand the role of government policies in development of a nation a bit more..
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Firefire(m): 2:31pm On Nov 15, 2015
modath:

When did states in a non regionised, no fiscal independent federation become FINANCIAL INSTITUTiONS.. cheesy

In your free time, read about FRANNIE MAE & FREDDIE MAC.. it will help you understand the role of government policies in development of a nation a bit more..

okay
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Gbawe: 2:33pm On Nov 15, 2015
Shymm3x:

I'm multi-tasking now. But I'll just post what I've got for now to Uncle Gbawe's post and let folks take it from there cos I'm going out. But I'll reply whatever post directed at my mentions when I come back.

Shymmex, I don't support the high debt stock of the SW. Merely saying we look at the whole picture. Oyinlola, for example, took a loan of N18.3 billion before leaving office that Osun became saddled with. Most Nigerian States, detrimentally, are civil servant State devoting a large proportion of earnings to wages. These are vestiges of the indolent policies of the military boys at the centre. For many years.
When PDP then came in, the Party failed to change the status quo that will turn things round. If there is stable electricity then I expect the SME sector to grow in States and remove the burden of biggest employer of labour that is choking States.

We all know States cannot do much in terms of power supply other than build IPP which are still at the mercy of the FG because of gas, transmission and distribution issues. Power priatisation should mean that exactly instead the FG frustrated the effort of Lagos to bid for a DISCO that would move the state closer to meeting ita power needs. Jonathan opted to concede these DISCOs to cronies and political affiliates. Rail transport across Nigeria is still in the stone ages and the FG has done virtually nada in the past 16 years to move things along. There so many things that compounded the problem and to that end there are no singular scapegoats. This is my point.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Katsumoto: 2:35pm On Nov 15, 2015
Going by some commentary here, it is obvious why the struggle to develop the SW is real.

The debate has turned to 'you guys are bad' and 'yes we are bad but you guys were worse'.

What can't be argued though is that there is failure to deliver and develop.

SMDH

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 2:36pm On Nov 15, 2015
Gbawe:

Not true at all. You cannot ignore facts to make a debate suit your personal argument. In Osun for example, salaries is actually even more than total income which includes allocation from the FG. This is why some of us harp on about the salary trap and why, as a matter of urgency, we must must focus on certain things (power supply, transport, agriculture, commercial mining of solid minerals et al) that will help diversify the economies of many States to then create jobs and employment that will make the government stop being the biggest employer of labour. Aregbe made mistakes but him and others met the salary trap issue on ground and were simply not prepared for the severity of the problem.

We can, once and for all, discuss the issue openly so that Nairalanders understand what is really going on or continue to convene a lynch mob for Yoruba leaders here based on only seeing a quarter of the big picture and the misinformation we are operating with. This is why we need tolerance and civility always . You state "every sane person" knows that the civil service is just a fraction of the recurrent expenditure yet you are wrong and merely misleading others here. these issues cannot be approached with sentiments because misinformation then begin flying around since we are only interested in defending the position we have taken rather than earnestly listening to others to understand what is going on in its entirety. We are therefore better prepared to be part of the solution. T

he likes of Aregbesola, Amosun et al met huge debts on the ground when they took over. These guys also appreciated the salary trap issue and understood that providing jobs and diversifying the economies of their State was key to defeating the burden of government being the biggest employer of labour thereby constraining many States to use a vast portion, or even all , of FG allocation today for wage payment. these guys initiated many ambitious plans to tackle this. Aregbe sought to develop Agriculture, transport and tourism. Amosun was even innovatively given small government-backed loans to help many set up small businesses. These guys are not innocent of the situation they find themselves in but they are not to blame 100% either. Do you for example know that GEJ dictatorially increased minimum wage to N18,000 years back when many States could not pay this and where not given the chance to opt out? You earn N1,000 a month and I insist you must pay your four domestic staff N300 monthly each. How is that fair when I refused to take your earning power into consideration?[/size] If people want to convene lynch mobs for yoruba leaders based on an incomplete take of what is actually going on and what has gone on in the past, to get us where we are today, then fine. That does not solve our problem or move us closer to being a useful think-tank that is ready to be part of the solution.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/06/osun-state-metaphor-for-unpaid-salaries/

1). I didn't make up the debt profiles and recurrent expenditure by each states - the Nigerian budget office, headed by a Yoruba man did. And I believe it was done based on the information available to them. So, I honestly don't know where the accusation of "misinformation" is coming from. We can only argue based on the information we've and I believe the Nigerian budget office can't make up numbers just for the sake of it.

2). Regardless of the "salary trap" or lack thereof and the huge number of workforce the state ministries employ - you and I know that the state ministry only makes up a fraction of the recurrent expenditure. Hence I asked folks to cite the other sectors/spending that contribute to it e.g. education, health, maintenance, purchase of equipment and other miscellaneous things, travel expenses, state functions etc. I believe anyone who's trying to defend these folks should be able to post these things cos I remember Uncle eGuerrilla once posted the one for Lagos and we did debate how inflated a lot of the prices cited were. That was what I was alluding to and expecting, not the whole "sacrificial lamb" thingy everyone is trying to make out of the state civil service.

Also, once you're an administrator and you know you're running a government at a deficit, it's natural to make amends and cut down government spending to keep a balance sheet. Especially when the revenue generated can't match-up to what you're spending. It's just common sense and being prudent. That comes with being a good administrator. And it's either you have it or you don't.

3). I believe when oil prices were at an all time high, the FG did share the money with the state governments. What happened to this money? If we could use low oil prices as an excuse - evidently we can also cite that as an example of mismanagement of funds.

4). This is the debt profile of SW states in 2011 vis-a-vis 2014. How come the debt profile of each state skyrocketed within the space of three years the way it did? Isn't that troubling since there's absolutely nothing to show for it and they're all running at a deficit?

2011 Debt profiles of SW states (approx.) --- culled from Iyalode's post and internet:
- Osun: N10 billion
- Lagos: N77 billion
- Oyo: N12 billion
- Ogun: N15 billion
- Ekiti: N5 billion
- Ondo: N8 billion
https://twitter.com/BudgITng

2014 Debt profiles of SW states (approx.):
- Osun: N52 billion
- Ogun: N92 billion
- Lagos: N501 billion
- Ekiti: N40 billion
- Oyo: N27 billion
- Ondo: N30 billion

6). Now to sustainability index rankings. I believe Ebonyi, Ekiti, and Osun are relatively new states. How come Ebonyi is number 7 on the rankings, while Osun and Ekiti are 35 and 32 respectively? Even Borno that's going through Boko Haram crisis is ranked higher than Osun and is one rank below Ekiti. Then you have Ogun, a state close to Lagos, ranked at the bottom as well - why?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Gbawe: 2:38pm On Nov 15, 2015
attacker231:

Good point, but I do see your post praising Fayose and even calling him the new Awolowo. The Fayose guy is even worst, he has done nothing other than drinking Moet with Amala. Pathetic.

You see you have caught out the pretender? Now he tells us it is just a 'tactic" and he was "catching fun" . At least some of us are principled and know the meaning of loyalty to the extent you will never see us hunting with the hounds today and running with the Hare tomorrow as some are fond of doing.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Katsumoto: 2:38pm On Nov 15, 2015
Gbawe:

Shymmex, I don't support the high debt stock of the SW. Merely saying we look at the whole picture. Oyinlola, for example, took a loan of N18.3 billion before leaving office that Osun became saddled with. Most Nigerian States, detrimentally, are civil servant State devoting a large proportion of earnings to wages. These are vestiges of the indolent policies of the military boys at the centre. For many years.
When PDP then came in, the Party failed to change the status quo that will turn things round. If there is stable electricity then I expect the SME sector to grow in States and remove the burden of biggest employer of labour that is choking States.

We all know States cannot do much in terms of power supply other than build IPP which are still at the mercy of the FG because of gas, transmission and distribution issues. Power priatisation should mean that exactly instead the FG frustrated the effort of Lagos to bid for a DISCO that would move the state closer to meeting ita power needs. Jonathan opted to concede these DISCOs to cronies and political affiliates. Rail transport across Nigeria is still in the stone ages and the FG has done virtually nada in the past 16 years to move things along. There so many things that compounded the problem and to that end there are no singular scapegoats. This is my point.

But how much debt has Aregbe borrowed? Surely, the huge debt profile of Osun can't be as a result of just N18.3 Billion.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 2:40pm On Nov 15, 2015
Katsumoto:

But how much debt has Aregbe borrowed? Surely, the huge debt profile of Osun can't be as a result of just N18.3 Billion.

Sir Katsumoto, the Emeritus Professor, I see you. grin

[img]http://media./media/MUeQeEQaDCjE4/giphy.gif[/img]

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Katsumoto: 2:41pm On Nov 15, 2015
Shymm3x:

Sir Katsumoto, the Emeritus Professor, I see you. grin

[img]http://media./media/MUeQeEQaDCjE4/giphy.gif[/img]

Hahahahahaha

I dropped by last night; I even mentioned your handle. Hope you are keeping well bro.

(1) (2) (3) ... (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) (225) (226) ... (384) (Reply)

Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. / Enugu, The Pride Of The East.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.