Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,932 members, 7,890,068 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 08:46 AM

Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective (25267 Views)

90 Percent Deaths In Nigerian Hospitals Due To Attitude – Prof Agan / Little Girl Dies Of Ear Infection After 3 Lagos Hospitals Failed To Treat Her / Little Girl Takes An Injection From A Nurse And This Happens To Her (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by Nobody: 9:59am On Nov 07, 2015
richyfunky:
Nigerian Nurses & Doctors can be cruel & heartless, when a case is life threatening, you do everything to save that life cos that's shud be ur No.1 priority instead of giving excuses. LIFE NO GET DUPLICATE

I understand your sentiment, but in many cases, there is just nothing you can do. Imagine an accident victim rushed to a hospital, he is bleeding profusely. There are no gloves, no sutures, no emergency response materials, with 2 nurses on duty and 20 other patients needing attention. Believe me, there are situations were there is absolutely nothing you can do other than to refer the patient, when you are just not equiped to handle such. If you attempt to do anything, you would only be wasting time that the dying patient does not have.

1 Like

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by Nobody: 10:01am On Nov 07, 2015
chrisbaba1:
If a man or woman is about to die, you are meant to do something not caring about the money, at least revive the patient to a point. I think staring at a patient who is half dead and doing nothing when you have the ability to do something is very heartless.
Revive the person with what? The poster is telling you that in Nigeria the patient has to buy what is needed to revive him, and if the nurse or doctor happens to have a stash somewhere to help patients and later be reimbursed, the same people will be screaming to high heavens that they are selling to patients. Honestly, do you think resuscitation is by using bare hands, what about the drugs, defibrillator and other equipment which oftentimes isn't available. Will the workers perform magic? Mind you CPR only goes far as to keep your heart pumping blood but the aforementioned is the real deal.
Hope you get it. Their hands are tied without the necessary equipment, and hospital bureaucracy, not that they don't know what to do or are lazy.

3 Likes

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by suzyberry(f): 10:04am On Nov 07, 2015
josite:
I stopped reading your story where u said he was in distress but Hus condition doesn't seems life threatening. so the fact that he is in distress is not good enough to warrant immediate attention. your case is lost.you are one of them nurses.
You may need to read on triaging in health care before you judge, then maybe you will understand better. Talk is cheap. Information can be gotten easily nowadays, so educate yourself . it is better to know than yo speak out of ignorance. Respect

5 Likes

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by Nobody: 10:05am On Nov 07, 2015
mentorandfriend:
Yes. Lack of equipped facilities; but lets talk about the ignorance of our general populace.

In the teaching hospital where I trained, on the day of passing out parade, some coppers went out to drink, and one thing led to the other so one drunk copper dived into the swimming pool and drowned there. I guess he could not maneuvre the waters because of his drunken state.

These coppers, numbering about a hundred carried a clinically dead person to our centre, demanding that we raise him back to life.

The issue of money, bed space, etc came up, and before you could pronounce a word, they have beat up two nurses at A&E, slapped a doctor into unconsciousness, and more.

Ignorance is deeply rooted in Nigerian culture.

In the private clinic I work, I play safe o. My head first. I forsee foolishness and hide.

When people waste time to arrive to a health centre, they turn around and blame health workers for being lazy, unconcerned and uncaring.

How did you talk to them when they arrived seeing their anxiety and worry? Look, you guys have to be trained in managing emergencies in the way to talk to your patients and their relatives.

Your profession needs people who can show compassion in the face of distress.
It is a profession for people who genuinely care about others.

I know the Nigerian government is filled with uncompassionate people but our health workers must stand out.
There are many things I want to say.

My main point here is even if you're without COMPASSION, learn to show it.

2 Likes

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by Nobody: 10:10am On Nov 07, 2015
omogin:

Revive with what? Lol... You think its with bare hands people are revived. Or you think all drugs should be free. If there's no food in your house and someone comes hungry and asking for food at midnight, what would you do? Take your blame to the policy makers and those who should finance the system. Healthcare is better abroad, why? Is it because the health workers are more competent and dedicated? Not necessarily. Effective working systems are put in place to make the work possible
I didn't see your response before replying him.
Surely, there is a crass lack of understanding of how the health system works especially in Nigeria.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by otokx(m): 10:10am On Nov 07, 2015
stereo:

How did you talk to them when they arrived seeing their anxiety and worry? Look, you guys have to be trained in managing emergencies in the way to talk to your patients and their relatives.

Your profession needs people who can show compassion in the face of distress.
It is a profession for people who genuinely care about others.

I know the Nigerian government is filled with uncompassionate people but our health workers must stand out.
There are many things I want to say.

My main point here is even if you're without COMPASSION, learn to show it.

You cannot show compassion when not adequately eqquiped or motivated. That time using to lecture the people on the why it is no going to be possible will be best used attending to a patient already on admission.
Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by Nobody: 10:12am On Nov 07, 2015
sobal:
true talk dose hospital dat does nt hav adequate. Equipment and staff shld be closed
Am sorry broh but your view is myopic. What's your definition of 'adequate equipments? No Nigerian hospital is relatively adequately equipped today, be it personnel or otherwise. Do we then close down all the hospitals in Nigeria so we all resort to herbalists?
Would you say same of the Nigeria army or police or fire service? Let's just close down the country cos no sector of the country is 'adequately equipped '. Even our president should resign cos it's obvious he is not ready for the presidency.
The solution is to be pragmatic. Equip the hospitals and see if we wouldn't offer quality care.
Another person talks about negligence by health workers, while this isn't entirely false. I can tell you it's largely down to a failed system. viz : under staffed, over worked, low morale, poor equipments etc
Health professionals aren't trained to be magicians, neither are we encouraged to do 'heroic' stuffs. Thats for the movies pls.

2 Likes

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by Nobody: 10:14am On Nov 07, 2015
mebad:
@op how do you explain the insensitive manner and bashful manner nurses talk and treat their patients? especially does at state own hospitals. they treat you like you are not human and obviously don't care. a patient is in pains and these nurses look/treat you like "shey na we send you message, if you wan die, you better die"

A nurse has no reason to be rude or unkind to a patient. It is inexcusable. But consider this a nurse needs 2 qualities, finesse and patience. But when one nurse has 12 patients to attend to, and one decides to be uncooperative, it robs you of your patience, you simply move to the next patient, you dont av all day. But if you have only 4 patients, u av all d tym to plead, persuade and appease a patient into cooperation. I'm glad you noticed that it is more common in state hospitals. That is because their staffing is horrible. The teaching hospitals are not top class, but at least the nurses there can afford some patience. Those nurses are a product of their environment.

6 Likes

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by D33VA(f): 10:17am On Nov 07, 2015
horlus:
I appreciate your write up but in some cases it's also negligence and carelessness from doctors. I lost my son few weeks ago after being born 4days later to jaundice. Despite the fact my wife kept alerting them that she has an history with jaundice from the theater where she had a casseran procedure. It's a story I don't want to start writing about right now but the child should not be dead if not for carelessness from the hospital doctors. Everyone keeps telling me to sue the hospital I v just decided to let go.

I beg you in the name of GOD to sue. It is not about anger or getting a pound of flesh, but often the only way to prevent such from happening to somebody else is make them pay, thus put them on their guard. If u don't do this u can be rest assured they would be careless with other lives.

Rip to ur gorgeous baby

4 Likes

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by shoboy9: 10:18am On Nov 07, 2015
Jackeeh:
Just 2 nurses on duty,covering both Labor and emergency wards? For real?

Are u 4real? How many hospitals do u know that have more than that?

Really the problem is that we have a lot of bad mean people in our society, and they are not being put away as they should. There are many Nigerians who are admitted in hospital and after two weeks of treatment will run away without paying a kobo! I don't know of anyone who goes to a chemist without money, but many cases go to hospital without a kobo and come back online to say they are victims of insensitive hospital staff!

The true madness is that there are idiots out there who support this view. How long does it take to get to an atm machine? Why not get medical insurance? The options are many, but Nigerians prefer free treatment. As I said earlier, there are many thieves in our society and the society has a desperate need to deal with this illness.

I once heard of a family who brought an old man to hospital for treatment. When the man started showing signs of responding after the stroke, the relations stopped funding treatment. Thinking they were out of money I asked the matron what the problem was and discovered that the family had shared the old man's belongings thinking he would be dead! I think going to hospital without money is a poor excuse for murder. It should be stopped!

4 Likes

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by Nobody: 10:18am On Nov 07, 2015
helpee:
so sorry for your loss but that doesnt mean the hospital is to blame. look, the mere fact they knew your baby had jaundice doesnt mean they must be able to save your baby unless you tell us what they were supposed to do that they didnt do. it may interest you to know that we dont have any level 3 NICU in nigeria where we can take care of extremely sick babies. no faacilities for ECMO, HFOV etc. so even if your baby is seriously sick and i know your baby needs any of these, i cant help cos we dont have such facilities. moreso, jaundice from what? is your wife O NEGATIVE? was the jauncice physiological or was it as a result of infection or even congenital problem ? i am not standing in for them but the mere fact they knew your baby had jaundice does not mean they must be able to save your baby. people still die even in the best setting despite advanced medical procedures. my intention is to set up a level 3 NICU in nigeria with facilties for ECMO but even in such centres the minimum deposit will still be like 500,000 naira only. i need close to 500milliion to set it up and to maintain is very expensive. i am presently studying neonatal medicine at cardiff and my total school fees when i finish this post graduate program will be about 15million in 2yrs. so, it will still be impossible for me to help the very sick children of poor people even after setting it up so if you bring your sick baby in emergency without deposit i wont admit you and that doesnt mean i am wicked.
Application for the post of a future neonatal nurse wink undecided

2 Likes

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by ameenahz(f): 10:21am On Nov 07, 2015
Recently, i nursed a patient who had incomplete abortion. She had been bleeding away for days, was in obvious distress and had to have the remaining products of conception evacuated. I work in the theatre and the hospital policy says that all patients must come with the receipt of payment or a waiver before a finger can be laid on them. But because of her condition, i took the patient in, after explaining to the husband that he has to sort out payment before evening on the following day which was a Sunday as the clerk will ask me for receipt on Monday. He thanked me profusely and promised to pay the following day. The story changed after the situation was calmer. Husband and wife insisted that they didn't pay that much the last time she had the same problem so they are not paying this time. In fact, the wife implied that i must have increased her bill on purpose to make some money off them, as if patients pay into my account. They ended up absconding without paying. It took Gods intervention through some of my senior colleagues for me not to pay her bills and face a panel. Now that i have learnt my lesson the hard way, does anyone here think i will do such next time?

Nigerians are quick to fault health care providers, especially nurses, without considering the situation we work under and the policies of our work places. They come with their stereotypes in mind, ready to attack you if you don't heed to their demands, no matter how unreasonable. Nurses are this, doctors are that..... That's all. No 'thank you', even when you have gone out of your way to ensure that all ends well.

It is just so pathetic that no matter what you say, op, no one will understand. Just keep doing the good work, bro. With God lies the ultimate recompense.

5 Likes

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by Nobody: 10:22am On Nov 07, 2015
zed7:
If you guys have no doctors or inadequate personnel then please close the hospital.
It's not an excuse you are giving. The duty of every medical personnel is to save life. Imagine how silly you are to say what you have said and called it a defence.
Haven't you met doctors who try to save accident victims even when they do not have their kits with them? They use whatever is available and make an attempt. No matter the situation, the medical personnel should make an attempt to help, reassure the patient and kindly refer them somewhere else.
This is not usually the case as our Nigerian nurses and doctors are arrogant and treat you like thrash.
Like the Nigerian society, you are only treated with respect if you have money.
Mr/Madam nurse, you excuse or defense is lame. The family of the man should have lynched you also. You people's attitude and not lack of facilities caused the man's death.

I appreciate ur contribution. Pls analyse the scenario and suggest what you think i should have done

2 Likes

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by Chinwem(f): 10:24am On Nov 07, 2015
helpee:
so sorry for your loss but that doesnt mean the hospital is to blame. look, the mere fact they knew your baby had jaundice doesnt mean they must be able to save your baby unless you tell us what they were supposed to do that they didnt do. it may interest you to know that we dont have any level 3 NICU in nigeria where we can take care of extremely sick babies. no faacilities for ECMO, HFOV etc. so even if your baby is seriously sick and i know your baby needs any of these, i cant help cos we dont have such facilities. moreso, jaundice from what? is your wife O NEGATIVE? was the jauncice physiological or was it as a result of infection or even congenital problem ? i am not standing in for them but the mere fact they knew your baby had jaundice does not mean they must be able to save your baby. people still die even in the best setting despite advanced medical procedures. my intention is to set up a level 3 NICU in nigeria with facilties for ECMO but even in such centres the minimum deposit will still be like 500,000 naira only. i need close to 500milliion to set it up and to maintain is very expensive. i am presently studying neonatal medicine at cardiff and my total school fees when i finish this post graduate program will be about 15million in 2yrs. so, it will still be impossible for me to help the very sick children of poor people even after setting it up so if you bring your sick baby in emergency without deposit i wont admit you and that doesnt mean i am wicked.

It's not so much about the facilities but the appalling attitude of staff and extreme lack of empathy to patients
We are talking jaundice and you re mentioning ECMO ??!? Even in the UK how many ECMO centers are there?
Simple things like taking a good history , keep baby under blue light/phototherapy , blood exchange
As for the bolded, jaundice from what .......that's for the doctors and nurses to find out and tell us.
You can study to the highest level and provide all the multi million equipment
But if your attitude stinks from a mile away......you re in the wrong vocation.
Medicine is not about bragging rights..... It's about human life

4 Likes

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by Orikinla(m): 10:26am On Nov 07, 2015
delishpot:
Then they should close those akara hospitals. No equipment, no doctor on call, no nurses on duty, No ambulance, No driver on seat, no gen, No keys to pharmacy, No pharmacist on seat, no nothing angry angry angry angry all they have is the buildings and a staff to give the list of things they dont have when a patient comes in.
Those Akara hospitals should not be allowed to addmit patients or run maternity/Emergency wards and they should be told to close at 5 or 6 pm everyday so every one knows they are not available for work. They should just be clinics to treat cough and cartarh and n9thing more.
If a so called hospital cannot respond to patients and give some form of care while they arrange for the transfer of the patient to a bigger hospital then they should not be allowed to run as a full blown hospital.
Shame on Nigerian government through the years. They should put laws in place that will regulate hospitals
They should be categorized and given licence and operational time based on equipments, number of staff and qualification or experience on doctors and nurses on duty. Enough of the bloodshed. I dey vex o. My blood dey boil.
BTW when will govt step ip health insurance for Nigerians?
. Thank you. Why should any clinic or hospital without required equipment be allowed to operate? These horrible and terrible things happen, because of a corrupt and incompetent government where incompetent intellectual re-tarded politicians are appointed as Ministers and DGs. The Nigerian Medical Council should close any clinic or hospital without required medical equipment, so that they will not deceive ignorant people to mistake them for real clinics and hospitals. The Nigerian Medical Council or Association is to blame for these clinics and hospitals operating without equipment in Nigeria, because they are owned or run by their members.

5 Likes

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by Nobody: 10:29am On Nov 07, 2015
free2blast:
I wonder if "HOSPITAL POLICY" would also apply if it were a family member of the nurse that needs emmergency attention? The fact remains that most nurses are mean and lazy.

If it were a family member, i would use everything i have to, and bear the cost. But if i do that for 1 patient every day, that is #1900 for emergency kit. Multiply by 20 days. And subtract from my salary of #62000. How much ll i take home every month?

4 Likes

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by Nobody: 10:31am On Nov 07, 2015
otokx:

You cannot show compassion when not adequately eqquiped or motivated. That time using to lecture the people on the why it is no going to be possible will be best used attending to a patient already on admission.
You bad grin grin
Imagine telling that to a sick or injured patients with the relatives especially the area boys-looking types surrounding you, questioning what the heck is this guy saying instead of helping.....hahaha grin.
Na I'd rather hightail it outta there than stay back and be manhandled.

2 Likes

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by ameenahz(f): 10:34am On Nov 07, 2015
josite:
I stopped reading your story where u said he was in distress but Hus condition doesn't seems life threatening. so the fact that he is in distress is not good enough to warrant immediate attention. your case is lost.you are one of them nurses.

In emergency care, there is something called triage. You have to prioritize patient care according to the severity of the problem. You can not leave a woman in the second stage of labour alone to attend to a new patient who is conscious and not in serious distress

3 Likes

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by Nobody: 10:35am On Nov 07, 2015
claremont:
It's pointless having hospitals that are poorly equipped and poorly staffed. The majority of the preventable deaths that happen in hospitals in Nigeria are mainly due to negligence. It's a sad reflection on the country as a whole that medical personnel have lost a sense of empathy, in so much that they would rather a patient died than make personal sacrifices.

Personal sacrifices?? Do you have any idea the number of "i dont have money" situation we meet everyday? At least 80% of patients in rural areas will come without money. If i make 'personal sacrifice' for each one, i wud go home wit nothing at d end of d month!. Should i touch a stranger's blood and body fluid without gloves? What if i'm infected with hiv, hepatitis, tb, lassa fever? What u r asking me to do is simply to risk my life everyday. Will u do it?

6 Likes

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by IamforGod: 10:37am On Nov 07, 2015
dicefrost:
I have read quite a handful of stories about unfortunate and preventable deaths in our hospitals, both private and public. Some have touched me personally, especially when it involves a pregnant woman, or a young promising life like the uniport student. For anyone who has been a victim, no amount consolation would be enough to pacify the pain of losing a loved one. As a nurse, i have seen this scenario play out time and again, to the point that i have grown thick skin, but i still feel deeply for anyone who has lost a loved one in death. Death is usually more painful when it could have been avoid. But in Nigerian hospitals, avoidable deaths tend to be more common. Believe me, only a few actually come to public knowledge. And when it does, one set of healthcare professionals are often at the receiving end of the vituperation and opprobrium it generates ; The NURSES!. They are the easiest to vilify, and push around. Often times, we only hear one side of these stories, that is the deseased's side, or in rare cases we hear the side of the hospital management. This article is not meant to exonerate nurses from all blame, (sometimes they are directly responsible) it is meant to tell one of such stories from the nurse's angle.

If we look at these stories carefully with an open mind you would discover one major problem in our hospitals, and that is lack of equipments. Like in the case of the upth student, the problem was lack of bed space. We only heard the story from one side, and we vilified the nurses and doctors, and berated them for not finding an alternative. Well i wasn't at upth, so i have no idea what really happened. But i have lost a patient in similar fashion before, and i was almost beaten up by the patient's relatives, so i can relate. In my own case, we were only two nurses on duty, myself and another nurse who was pregnant at the time. We were covering the emergency and labour ward together.

The patient in question arrived with his family members, he was in obvious distress, but his condition did not seem life threatening at the time. Myself and my colleague were both in the labour room, trying to deliver a baby with breech presentation, an extremely risky procedure. When i heard their shout for attention, i left my colleague alone to handle the delivery (which was risky) in order to attend to the new patient. There was no bed space, so i simply spread a blanket on the ground for him to lie on. The family members protested, but i had neither the time nor the patience to explain and negotiate with them. I explained our admission procedure to them, told them to pay for a card, and purchase the A&E kit. Once again, they protested that they had no money. I explained to them that given the fact that he had been vomiting and stooling, he would need i.v infusion immediately. I put a call across to the doctor on call, who was equally busy, and headed back to the labour room.

After about 30 minutes, the doctor arrived. The family had not purchased the A&E kit, neither had they paid for a card. So he referred them to a teaching hospital and left for the theater. They called me out a few minutes later, this time one of them had an i.v infusion with him, which he had gone to buy from a local chemist that night. They begged me to give him the infusion. I explained to them that the hospital policy does not permit me to insert a canula into a patient's vein, hence they have to wait for the doctor. I left them again, and called the doctor to inform him. The doctor came back, and insisted that they should go to the teaching hospital.

About thirty minutes later, i heard a loud shout, and rushed out to see what was happening. Behold, our patient was unconscious, and almost not breathing. I advised the family to quickly take him to the teaching hospital, because we do not have equipments to resuscitate him. They requested for an ambulance and someone to accompany them. There was a problem, we only had one ambulance driver, and he doesn't work night shifts, and more so we had no personnel to spare for the trip. All hell broke loose, the family members began to shout and make threats. I had to hide my head. I left them and went back to the labour room. I did not hear from them again that night, until the morning after when hoodlums invaded the hospital, bearing matchets and sticks. I scaled the hospital fence and got away. The doctor and the morning nurses weren't so fortunate, they vandalised cars and beat them up.

The boy died, but the story that was circulated was that " because they had no money, the wicked nurse refused to attend to them, and left them to go and sleep elsewhere. When they even bought drip from a chemist, the wicked nurse refused to give their son the drip, insisting that they must buy from the hospital." No one considered the fact that the overworked nurse was busy handling another delicate situation, and could not focus attention on a patient who has not been admitted. Now you must be wondering, since it was an emergency, why did we not just attend to the patient and worry about the money later? My answer; HOSPITAL POLICY. If i admit the patient, and use the hospital's consumables without the patient paying for it, the bill would be subtracted from my salary, after i am issued a query. If the bills of 3 or 4 patients are subtracted from my salary, how much would be left?. The best i could do was to refer them to the teaching hospital, where they ll receiving free emergency treatment for 24 hours before payment.

Now, let us examine the most recent case. When the man arrived with his wife, the nurses told him straight away to go to igando general hospital, because there was no doctor. But he refused, insisting that the hospital was too big not to have a doctor on call. But it is very possible that the hospital may have only one doctor, who cannot work for 24 hours. I have seen such scenarios alot. There are unreasonable restrictions placed on nurses in nigeria today, our scope of practice is unjustly limited. Hence, when a nurse refuses to touch a patient, she is probably afraid of crossing a line and indicting herself. So when there is no doctor, and the hospital policy prevents the nurse from doing what he/she knows, what do you expect the nurse to do?. That was probably why the nurses insisted that he take his wife to igando. But the man stubbornly carried his wife into the hospital himself. When he insisted, the nurses probably out of pity cautiously did the little they could do without crossing a line, which was obviously inadequate.

When he agreed to go, the nurses did not have the key to the ambulance, maybe the ambulance driver was not on duty! Again, the nurses did not want to accompany him, probably because they were already understaffed and overbooked, and had no one to spare. Do we know how many nurses where on duty? What about the doctor who arrived late? It is also possible that he is the only doctor in the hospital, and works 8 to 4pm like everyone else. If he leaves his house at all that night, he is only doing you a favour, he is not paid to work at that time. It sounds cruel, but that is the truth.

When he got to igando, there was no bed space! Are the health workers to blame for that? Peharps, while he waited for what seemed like an eternity, the nurses were frantically making efforts to secure a bed space for the patient. And then the money issue came, which i have already dealt with.

I can assure you of one small truth. The issue will be swept under the carpet, because if it is investigated constructively, the blame will fall largely on the government. Our health sector is in shambles, it needs massive investment, in terms of man power and infrastructure. Until this happen, we cannot continue to heap all the blame on our hardworking doctors and nurses. They are just like the soldiers sent to confront boko haram without weapons. They deserve our sympathy, not insults. When next a nurse in a public hospital seem not to perform to your expectation, it may be because her hands are tied!

Lalasticlala, dominique, give us a chance to defend ourselves

Nusre pls are u saying ur salary is more important than a life?

I believe u dnt av passion for ur job!

U dnt know what it means to be dead and gone for ever? Yh that's right U AV NEVER BEEN DEAD!

So u telling me a card and admission what
ever is more important than a man's life?

In situations like this, rather than have him die, i'll make him stable first, and tell them if they don't get the money he might die u'll see how they'll run and get the money!

But as a nurse ur first priority is saving a life!

U SIGNED UP FOR IT!

I pray u will never be in an emergency situation and av people pushing u up and down.

5 Likes

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by Amhappy(f): 10:40am On Nov 07, 2015
My mum is a retired nurse and two of my sisters are also healthcare professionals so I kind of understand the Op view. However good nurses and doctors in Nigeria should continue to do their best to saves lives. However this does not rule out that their are evil ones out their who outrightly have no regard for human life. There is a case at a private hospital in Enugu right now where a trained doctor removed oxygen mask from a patient to save another patient he deemed more important instead of referring out the new patient since equipment was not adequate. And the first patient was left to die. I blamed the govt for all these. If hospitals and professional are not well regulated and necessary funding not provided things may not change. Also awareness should be created for mega rich Nigerians and companies to invest in the Heath sector. A lot of funds is thrown into entertainment and maybe sports these are good but are not as important as basic things like health.
Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by adrusa: 10:40am On Nov 07, 2015
Everyday I see patients in the hospital waving some papers begging for money, I'm like, "Come, I struggled to treat you in spite of the severe frustrations I face in the hospital due to lack of equipments and consumables, and you still want me to pay for your drugs?"

1 Like

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by Nobody: 10:41am On Nov 07, 2015
okay.
Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by 9jatatafo(m): 10:41am On Nov 07, 2015
Our hospitals are death traps. Had terrible experience
Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by DeRay98(m): 10:42am On Nov 07, 2015
Most of the problems in our health care are due to administrative incompetence and poor planning.
All Health ministers are Medical doctors, all health commissioners are medical doctors, all state and federal health management boards or committees are heavily dominated by medical doctors. All Chief medical directors of all hospitals are Medical doctors.
Therefore, decision-making in health care systems and institutions are dominated by medical doctors and since they are unquestionable and unanswerable to any other, they are to blame.
Nigerian Medical Association has become more of a political organization than an apex health professionals body, they claim to be fighting for better health care but all they do bully paramedical professionals, cover up mismanagement by their colleagues, blame non-medical professionals and allocate budgetary provisions to themselves, use appropriated funds to buy out-dated,substandard or refurbished equipment even when budget was made for standard state of the art equipment.
i have a friend who sells medical equipment, if you get to hear what he experiences in dealing with govts hospital and health ministry mgt.
No medical equipment purchase request can be approved or purchased without the admin or hospital management MDs (if not the commissioner) signing the approval.
Budget for medical equipment are made with prices for the latest or modern equipment with are usually very expensive (often 3-4x the actual cost, to provide for some %tage to some top officials). Once the budget is approved, the equipment eventually purchased is usually of less quality and specifications approved for purchase the rest of the funds is pocketed and covered up by the beneficiaries.
After a couple of years, often less than the warranty period, the equipment becomes faulty as expected, are left unserviced for a while and finally auctioned and bought by same Doctors for their own private clinics often at ridiculously lower rate than market price.
Any health care system is comprised of a team of all health care (Medical, Para-medical, non-medical) personnel. An experienced medical doctor is traditionally the head or captain of the team and as such carry the team along for effectiveness. All health care is not about Medical doctors alone, all members of the team have inputs that helps the MD to effectively manage the health of a pat.
But in Nigeria, these other health care team members are looked down on or disrespected by medical doctors. sometimes, MDs wants people to believe that these other professions are irrelevant and they can be done without.
Nobody else advises govts. on health care policies and expenditure other than medical doctors, if the policies are failing, facilities are under staffed, under equipped etc, blame for their failure to do the needful. the frequents strikes they embark of for better working conditions are often presented to the public as demands for equipment and facility, in fact, they are usually for their salaries, allowances and remunerations.
The consultants no longer have time to supervise their residents, they run around using govt time to attend private patients in several private hospitals or their private hospitals/clinics.
The worst culprits are the administrative doctors, event young medical doctors are victims too.
Until Nigerians begin to make hospitals answer questions on questionable deaths of relatives, the situation will remain.
The poor justice system in Nigeria also means that people cannot wait for the length of time it takes to get justice, the cover-up of questionable deaths and injuries by other doctors to avoid justice, the believe that doctors are demi-gods by many uninformed people also does not help matters. In the civilised countries, the fear of malpractice suits by aggrieved patients or relatives of patients put the doctors on the alert.
I expect fireworks from MDs and many uninformed doctors-worshipping wailers here undecided cool

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by Chinwem(f): 10:45am On Nov 07, 2015
josite:

Gbam.

For every life that is lost all you get are excuses.
If you work in a place that is unsafe /under equipped/understaffed and you don't raise it with management or strike for better conditions
(Yes strike for better conditions and NOT just for your pay)
You are putting the patients lives in danger and your license in jeopardy

If patients do not reject bad healthcare and DEMAND to be treated as human beings then the status quo remains
Patients need to name and shame whoever is not up to scratch

Nurses, your patients are under your care
Your job is to protect them and not make things worse
I appreciate some of you do a good job
I see and hear of many who do not
The solution is not necessarily PLAB/IELTS or whatever professional exam you write to go abroad
Because if you travel with that shitty attitude and lack of concern for the patient they will roast you, trust me
You will appear on daily mail front page

Hospitals that cannot stabilize an accident victim so that he/she can be transferred to a better centre should be renamed clinics
Stop deceiving yourselves and wasting people's time

For me it's the attitude , government is not going to come and change attitudes, they can invest in the health sector , assign particular hospitals and equip them to handle accident cases, dedicate a fund for specifically for that but if the attitude is awful, people will die needless and painful deaths.

4 Likes

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by DeRay98(m): 10:46am On Nov 07, 2015
Orikinla:
. Thank you. Why should any clinic or hospital without required equipment be allowed to operate? These horrible and terrible things happen, because of a corrupt and incompetent government where incompetent intellectual re-tarded politicians are appointed as Ministers and DGs. The Nigerian Medical Council should close any clinic or hospital without required medical equipment, so that they will not deceive ignorant people to mistake them for real clinics and hospitals. The Nigerian Medical Council or Association is to blame for these clinics and hospitals operating without equipment in Nigeria, because they are owned or run by their members.

Nigerian Medical Council should close any clinic or hospital without required medical equipment, so that they will not deceive ignorant people to mistake them for real clinics and hospitals. The Nigerian Medical Council or Association is to blame for these clinics and hospitals operating without equipment in Nigeria, because they are owned or run by their members.

3 Likes

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by Nobody: 10:50am On Nov 07, 2015
Chinwem:

It's not so much about the facilities but the appalling attitude of staff and extreme lack of empathy to patients
We are talking jaundice and you re mentioning ECMO ??!? Even in the UK how many ECMO centers are there?
Simple things like taking a good history , keep baby under blue light/phototherapy , blood exchange
As for the bolded, jaundice from what .......that's for the doctors and nurses to find out and tell us.
You can study to the highest level and provide all the multi million equipment
But if your attitude stinks from a mile away......you re in the wrong vocation.
Medicine is not about bragging rights..... It's about human life

You called exchange blood transfusion simple thing and photo therapy even.?? In Nigeria, the attitude of the health workers is directly proportional to the environment the person grew up in, trained, work and also the equipment and renumeration/incentives accrued from the job.

The person you quoted isn't bragging but stating a fact.

1 Like

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by Nobody: 10:52am On Nov 07, 2015
josite:

Exactly! Thats how you judge us. Did it occur to you that i had a woman in labour with breech presentation? Should i abandon them?

3 Likes

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by Chinwem(f): 10:55am On Nov 07, 2015
LadyFiona:
You called exchange blood transfusion simple thing and photo therapy even.?? In Nigeria, the attitude of the health workers is directly proportional to the environment the person grew up in, trained, work and also the equipment and renumeration/incentives accrued from the job.

The person you quoted isn't bragging but stating a fact.

I am also stating a fact
What does ECMO and level 3 NICU have to do with it
Provide good service with the things that are more readily available

By the way there is no excuse for a poor attitude
Once you sign that job offer and show up at work in that white coat or dress
You better deliver
Telling me about attitude being proportional to upbringing and equipment available ........smh
Too many people in the wrong profession

1 Like

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by stanvesco(m): 10:57am On Nov 07, 2015
richyfunky:
Nigerian Nurses & Doctors can be cruel & heartless, when a case is life threatening, you do everything to save that life cos that's shud be ur No.1 priority instead of giving excuses. LIFE NO GET DUPLICATE
u r neva 2 old 2 bkum a health worker?
Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by Nobody: 10:57am On Nov 07, 2015
stag:
Op, I would have loved to agree with you in all of this except one thing:

Why do hospitals have 24hrs standby ambulances but have only 8am-4pm drivers. Emergencies do not occur at night?
A friend's father died in an hospital at about 1pm on a sunday and they needed ambulance to take the body to a morgue, the hospital said without thought nor remorse:
"Our driver does not work on Sundays"!

How ridiculous! Emergencies do not occur on Sundays?

All these hospitals should just open at 8am and lock up at 4pm, Monday-Friday.

Nobody works 24hrs. We shud have had 4 drivers, doing shifts and working weekends. But the government employed only one! Shall we make him work 24hrs?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Woman Wants To Be Paid Before Taking Her Sick Child For Treatment. Graphic Pics / COVID-19: Abia State Delivers 1 Million Facemasks Nationwide / 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.