Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,924 members, 7,890,046 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 08:24 AM

Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective (25265 Views)

90 Percent Deaths In Nigerian Hospitals Due To Attitude – Prof Agan / Little Girl Dies Of Ear Infection After 3 Lagos Hospitals Failed To Treat Her / Little Girl Takes An Injection From A Nurse And This Happens To Her (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by 4C2215131: 1:16pm On Nov 07, 2015
horlus:
I appreciate your write up but in some cases it's also negligence and carelessness from doctors. I lost my son few weeks ago after being born 4days later to jaundice. Despite the fact my wife kept alerting them that she has an history with jaundice from the theater where she had a casseran procedure. It's a story I don't want to start writing about right now but the child should not be dead if not for carelessness from the hospital doctors. Everyone keeps telling me to sue the hospital I v just decided to let go.

Sir, with all due respect, this 'letting go' attitude of Nigerians is what is killing this country!

So sorry about your loss and I understand that dragging issues via suing the hospital will be like reliving the pain, but this people have to be held accountable when and where there is evidence that they erred in performing their duties. If we start taking action they'll sit up, the health ministry will sit up.

1 Like

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by 4C2215131: 1:19pm On Nov 07, 2015
jaydee87:

we all have our path to play too... I pity every sector f our economy... and please let's stop the zoogeria of a thing...

He/she is also part of the 'animals' that make up Zoogeria. Whether domiciled here or in diaspora.

1 Like

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by porozhniy(m): 1:20pm On Nov 07, 2015
Unfortunately calling medical practitioners names will not help our cause. How did we get here and what can be done to salvage the situation?
When are staging a #1 million man march to Aso Rock? What are we doing to bring to light the massive rot in the health sector? We can cry online all we want, but if we as a people dont put pressure on everyone contributing to the rot, the status quo remains.
Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by 4C2215131: 1:23pm On Nov 07, 2015
olrotimi:
Let me weigh into the discussion.
Firstly, Op you have spoken well and have spoken our mind. The state of health care in Nigeria is appalling to say the least. Lemme give my experience :
During my service year, I was the only doctor covering a general hospital in Ebonyi state and also the only health professional who 'sleeps -in'. After over working myself with the out patients, probably had one or two surgeries, I'd then be faced with call duty which is another story entirely. I play the role of doctor, nurse, pharmacist and oftentimes, health records. Oftentimes I get woken up at midnight by a woman in labour. With no nurse or midwife to assist me, I have to do what I have to do, as if I turn them away, they would end up with untrained traditional birth attendants. I have conducted countless deliveries including daring ones (twin gestations, breech, and placenta previa) sometimes with just one forceps and one scissors and just a head lamp. Ethically, this is wrong, but does my patient understand ethics, These I did 24/7 for a year and I was paid for just two months.
Bottom line is this : No one appreciates the circumstances we have to work under, ofcus we don't need your sympathy, but be guided by your glib talk and vituperations (like the poster above) cos many of you have inherent disdain for health professionals and nothing we say here would change it.

Goodness gracious! Don't know what to say...my God!
Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by Nobody: 1:29pm On Nov 07, 2015
IamforGod:

You are contradicting yourself ma'am

I'd rather be sacked than have someone die intentionally on my watch!

When I opened this thread I thot I was going to seen excuses that wud make my head calm. And I came here disappointed!

I repeat I pray u dnt find urself in emergency situations that ordinary card will prevent them from attending to you!

I just confirmed the fact that nigerian nurses are pure evil!

If that is the case, then you cannot work as a nurse in nigeria, you will keep getting sacked from one place after another, till you realise how powerless you are

Imagine, I was expecting to hear we didn't av the drip or wateva so we had to go and buy and befor we came he died! But no I read it clearly that they had to buy the insulin themselves in a pharmacy and yet u didn't attend to him becos of a stupid card!

JUST PURE EVIL!
Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by HaneefahRN(f): 1:31pm On Nov 07, 2015
Thanks OP for the wonderful write up. Sadly, most Nigerians are already filled with stereotypes about health care workers esp nurses 'since they seem to interact more with the pt and their relatives', whether through mere hearsay and sometimes as a result of some bad experiences. But we all av to realise that the health care system is in shambles originating from the govt, down to many corrupt CMDs, who are also actively involved in embezzling funds for health care, thank God some of them are being exposed already.
Yes, there are bad eggs amidst health workers, this can be said if we aren't hypocritical abt all professions and vocations. And we av to realize these pple are working under conditions extremely below the norm, in a situation where just 2 nurses sometimes even a nurse is expected to care for almost 20 pts, all with varying degrees of illness and we expect effective care is a mirage, we aren't machines for goodness sake! How can just 2 nurses be in emergency unit and at the same time cover labor unit, and this is common in some State hospitals. How do u want them to discharge their duties effectively in such situation? And when anything goes wrong, they are verbally and physically assaulted, yet the masses see nothing wrong with that and still vilify them.
I'av seen cases where pts abscond with outstanding bills, and the nurses are made to pay for these from the already meagre salary, yet u expect them to overlook the hospital policy after being bitten in the hands already. They also av their families somewhere looking up to them.
In the face of little equipment, overwork, unfavourable conditions, these pple provide the best they can in the face of these insanity to provide the care, but at the end of the day, the thanks they get is been verbally and sometimes physically assaulted. In situations when nurses av to use lantern and lamps to serve drugs even in tertiary hospitals, a midwife using lamp to take delivery, sometimes some pts don't even buy the required items for delivery,I don't know if they expect the nurses to get them for them too, or surgeons and the team conducting operation and the light goes off, how do we expect the output to be perfect and mistakes not arising?
Let's face the reality, the health care system is in shambles, and it's high time, the govt is held responsible rather than preying on the health workers. The politicians don't give a damn becos they don't use these facilities, so the rot in the system is insignificant to them, the hospital mgt wld rather absolve themselves of any blame and look for a scape goat.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by Nobody: 1:35pm On Nov 07, 2015
IamforGod:

Lol! You are just like a soldier saying I dnt want to go to war, I dnt want to die!

Like I told the op U SIGNED UP FOR IT b

I av never heard of people dying becos they helped someone live!

I signed up for war, so give me a gun, a bullet proof vest and i ll fight to death. But you cannot give me sticks and stones and tie my hands behind my back and expect me to fight! I ll run away

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by Fortisville: 1:41pm On Nov 07, 2015
Don't even know what to say anymore. Reading some post here makes me want to scream.

Having been opportune to manage 3 hospitals in Lagos Island, Ilupeju and Victoria Island respectively. I think am qualified to say that my experiences in those areas exposed me to the very poor, average class, rich and the super rich. Giving me full insight into how some hospitals operate in Nigeria and why staff are not motivated.

In all my experiences, I instruct staff....never to request money before treatment not even registration card. Meaning I will start treatment immediately, stabilize my patients after which we can discuss payment modalities. Often times patients don't even hesitate to pay any amount they are charged and fully. Appreciating the approach. "Life First"

I class my patients into very poor, average and rich.

Very poor: Pay full very reduced fees, Pay reduced part fees, Pay reduced fees by installment or Pay Nothing ( when it's obvious )....At my discretion ignoring hospital protocol.

Average: Pay full moderate fees, Pay part moderate fees, Pay by installment. At my discretion. Ignoring hospital protocol.

Rich/Super Rich: Pay full mandatory fees or Pay by Installment. No discretion. No reduced fees. (Accessible and Affordable For All).

All emergency kits are available and easily accessible. Staff...including myself are fully on ground. Mini theatre and delivery room in ready state. 24/7.

All patients are accessed as quickly as possible, those beyond our scope are stabilized if necessary and referred immediately.

In that way, fund is available to run daily activities and pay salary. Nobody dies in the hospital (Primary Goal)

Was not in anyway related to the owners of the 3 hospitals. Each hospital owed their staff minimum 2 months salary and those that supply them drugs etc. My decision is final because its my license that is at stake not theirs.

Bottom line is protocols have to be broken to save lives even if your job is on the line.

Save life before money.

Interestingly..I never lost my job. Neither did the owners sanction me for giving free service at times including free normal delivery or charging the super rich exorbitantly because that's what subsidize for the poor.

The 3 hospitals gained more patients from my approach and turn over was great. And they became the first point of call within the locality despite being previously written off as dead zone for anyone to come out there alive. Staff salary was increased for the first time over 6 -12 yrs. (Motivating Staff)

Hospital management needs to be flexible in their operations, motivate their staff paying salary and on time and equipping their establishments.

No life was lost in any of those hospitals during my stay. Not because we were the best, but for putting life first before money, making it affordable and accessible for all and attitudinal change patients and hospital staff.

It's easy to finger point, but patients and medical staff attitude needs to change. Only then can we reduce avoidable deaths.

6 Likes

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by walexbiz(m): 1:41pm On Nov 07, 2015
Kimoni:
While I agree there are not enough equipment and even manpower in our hospitals, the lacadestical attitude of out nurses might be doing much more harm to the patients. We have cases of women giving birth on the roads but because other women with experience would rally round her and offer basic support and assistance, the lives of both mother and baby would be spared.

When you are in pains, there are physical and psychological pains involved. The psychological pains if not managed, can kill faster than the physical pains. What nurses do with their callous and nonchalant attitude is to drain you emotionally, increase the physchological pains you are feeling, thereby making you lose the will and desire to fight for life. And death is only too happy to offer respite to such a person sad

Nurses, as a first step need to really ask themselves why they are in that line of work at all. If it's for the money, they should just exit the profession cuz that profession ain't about money making. It's a vocation of sacrifice and only those who have in them can do it. It's a calling and it's not for everyone.

However, government also need to provide the enabling atmosphere for nurses to work as there is little that can be done without the right equipment and incentives. Thereafter, anyone found wanting or culpable in his or her line of duty should be not be spared and when live(s) is involved, whoever is found deficient should be treated as what he or she really is - murderer! No sugar coating of what it is and the full weight of the law should apply. #nigerianlivesmatter

Don't get this bold part, are you saying the nurses should pay for the patient card, payment of card is standard procedure in Nigeria, and we all know health is not free. I have a mum who works with the lagos state government and anytime she comes back she is always looking very tired, she complains most time of doing work meant for three or four person even though she is a level fourteen officer when she is just suppose to work with ease.
Unfortunately the government at every tier is very dubious and cunny they will display pix of rehabilitated or newly constructed hospital as dividend of democracy yet we fail to ask how many people have they embed to manned those new places. A typical example was when the gbagada general hospital was upgraded, the lagos state government went ahead to deploy nurses from other hospital to work thereby short staffing those hospital. That's the hypocrisy we see in government.

2 Likes

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by ameenahz(f): 1:56pm On Nov 07, 2015
Bgorgeous:
what kind of story is this? what happened to save the life of the patient first in an emergency before asking for money. nurses l swear are the devils infante in every hospital . no good nurse trained to save life grows thick skin in the face of death. nonsense foscality

Madam/sir, he had another patient in labour, trying to deliver a breech baby. If he had left the woman in labour to attend to the other patient and in the process lost both mother and child, most of us would have been here screaming blue murder!

2 Likes

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by zed7: 2:26pm On Nov 07, 2015
donodion:

You are unjustifiably harsh at the OPs true state of happenings and your last paragraph is completely uncalled for.Its like saying since soldiers have signed up for the call,regardless they are ill-equiped they should proceed to boko harm base and confront them.Childish reasoning !!!.

What Do you expect a nurse on duty to do with a new patient while he was busy with another patient in labor? It's called priority.Besides the fact there were only two nurses on duty...in a general hospital where there should be at least 4 per ward...inclusive of intern. And only one doctor on duty... Who might also be an intern.

In health related issues..you just don't " use anything " to handle procedures. Healthcare workers using kerosene lantern while suturing or handling an invasive procedure itself is a health risk.No matter how skilled you are.chances of infection and cross Infection is high. Besides you could land yourself with a medico legal hazard Instances.

The Nigerian health sector needs complete overhauling

@ Op thank you for the post and the poster of that article of the last meeting held by UNGOSA.

Lame excuse. Do you know how many lives are saved in community centres in the rural areas? It's beyond using lanterns. Your attitude and passion for the job is very important.
Administer whatever first aid is available. Try to stabilize the patient, then you can refer the patient somewhere. The important thing is how you go about it.

Haven't you seen medical personnel attending to people in areas where disaster has occurred? Stability is the first step and key. Stabilize then move on. Come back and then try and alleviate the issue. We have seen 5 doctors attending to 500 people who are badly wounded and at the end of the day only a few usually end up dying.

Any hospital that doesn't have the most basic stuff like bandages, basic saline drips, painkillers should fold up. The medical personnel there should go and sell roasted yam.
Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by amunites19(m): 2:26pm On Nov 07, 2015
#killerdoctor is just like an assassins he has no moral feelings, he only think about the money aspects. they established a sub standard hospitals with unqualified nurses so that they can be paying them peanut, they are very arrogant claim to known everything, they can not reffer further for what they don't known. Yahoo Yahoo boys are far better than them because yahoo boys don't play direct with peoples' life, #killerdoctors are more dangerous than Yahoo boys.

1 Like

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by zed7: 2:26pm On Nov 07, 2015
dicefrost:

I appreciate ur contribution. Pls analyse the scenario and suggest what you think i should have done

Refer to my post above.

1 Like

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by godwin120alex: 2:36pm On Nov 07, 2015
Our health system is rotten and Eniola case blew it open in LUTH then
Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by armadeo(m): 2:46pm On Nov 07, 2015
Everybody is at fault. Majority of patients arrive late wityh critical cases and no money to pay for anything.

Places ' govt hospitals' where no deposit is asked for are over crowded and stretched To the limit. govt staff are ill motivated.

I experienced a man who broughg his wife to a private clinic with our a dime and was treated at a cost running into hundreds of thousands. He of course couldn't pay and started begging. I asked him why he didn't go somewhere cheaper and he said his wife would die.

Director had to let him go without paying cos it was dragging for too long.

In got my salary that month end so did all the other workers how would I react if director told me that my salary was used to treat that woman?

All go you here pointing fingersbsaying life first are you also willing to make the sacrifice?

If yes you can bounce to th he nearest hospital NOW. I .ca assure you there is someone there owing money. Pay up with your salary and come back here yo testify.

That doesnt mean I Condon the I don't care attitude of some health personnel. It's abysmal in some cases.

We would get there.

1 Like

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by ini4brandon(m): 3:00pm On Nov 07, 2015
two days ago I had an experience that sort of supports the OP. my son couldnt receive an intramuscular injection from the nurses because the doctor on call made a slight error on the prescription sheet. Though they genuinely wanted to, they couldn't do a thing because of 'hospital policy' . We had to wait another 2 hrs till the Dr. who had stepped out of the premises returned.
Fortunately my Boy's case wasn't life threatening,...but it gave me a glimpse of what OP is talking about
Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by amunites19(m): 3:17pm On Nov 07, 2015
The issue that worries people is not the actual cost of the treatment but trying to complicate patients' conditions in order to charge big amount of money or to prolong staying in hospital so as to charge more days for bed. If you check hospitals charges in abroad you will surprise why our hospitals ate charging hundreds for mostly malaria treatment.
Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by Nobody: 3:20pm On Nov 07, 2015
bnovative:

No matter the sophistry employed in running the PR, the experience of most nigerian stands as a sore reality that the nursing profession, as practise in public hospital is anything but efficient.
U didn't talk about the rivalry bw u and the doctors.
A lot of Patience died as a result of non chalant attitude of the nigerian nurse, than lack of equipment and govt. policy.
With due respect to the few good nurses,and the nurse with b.sc nursing; most nurses from the school of nursing lack apt knowledge of the profession.
i once registered at a general hospital and was asked to take my file to the out patience, where i would be attended to. On getting there, i asked the nurse in charge, the right place to place my file, since there were three heaps of file on the table. And the nurse looked me straight in the eye and said " place it on my head, idiot".
It took the sympathy of other patience to show me the right place to drop my file.
I know u can explain this by saying may be he was tired, having had to attend to countless people.
My advice to nigerians: pls always go to teaching hospital where the attitude of these health workers is checked.
How do you differentiate a university graduands and school of nursing graduands? Please , your ignorant stereotyping of graduates of schools of nursing is wrong. The level of educational achievements achieved by an individual does not reflect or connote an increase in/ acquisition of good interpersonal communication skills. These skills are often in case of nursing learned by every nurse before graduation irrespective of where you graduates from. It is an important rational before being liscenced as a professional nurse.
So I beg to disagree on that.

And, I am not holding briefs for my erring colleagues.

2 Likes

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by ameenahz(f): 3:32pm On Nov 07, 2015
LadyFiona:
How do you differentiate a university graduands and school of nursing graduands? Please , your ignorant stereotyping of graduates of schools of nursing is wrong. The level of educational achievements achieved by an individual does not reflect or connote an increase in/ acquisition of good interpersonal communication skills. These skills are often in case of nursing learned by every nurse before graduation irrespective of where you graduates from. It is an important rational before being liscenced as a professional nurse.

To add to your point, at the end of it all, we all write the same licensure exams, set and coordinated by the same body and we get the same license to practise the same profession. The BNSc is mostly for the sake of professional development and every nurse is after that these days. Whatever level you attain, you will always be RN first. So what is the discrimination for?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by Sanmel(f): 3:34pm On Nov 07, 2015
donodion:
LadyFiona, mentorandfriend, Deray98, dicefrost, ameenahz...if you guys wont mind, I'd like to add as followers on this section of the forum.Please indicate if Ok with you.
I'm a nurse too o.. JIC u av something special for Nairaland nurses.. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by tolababa(m): 3:44pm On Nov 07, 2015
Nurses may be exonerated but not doctor. The doctor earned call allowance but most of them don't stay in government hospital but work outside the hospital especially when they are on night duty. I am a first witness to that
Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by Nobody: 3:54pm On Nov 07, 2015
nkemdi89:

Honestly like a particular case the wife died because the man couldn't raise money for cs, the wife was kept until he could raise the money and signed the form for the operation. The wife later died even he couldn't raise the money for the wife's corpse to be released, my boss have to give him money and called the hospital to release the body.

That's very bad. Well I dnt have anytin to say cos different people with different situation
Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by bnovative(m): 3:58pm On Nov 07, 2015
LadyFiona:

I have made my point clear and i have no intention to argue with u. The point is: it's the attitude of the nurses that contribute most in crumbling the sector than lack of equipment/govt policy.
u can try to explain why a cruel and incompetent nurse should be excused for his inefficiency, but the public know some of them are merchants of death.
To put it mildly, the public see the nurse in the public hospital as the nigerian police.
Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by ameenahz(f): 4:19pm On Nov 07, 2015
bnovative:

I have made my point clear and i have no intention to argue with u. The point is: it's the attitude of the nurses that contribute most in crumbling the sector than lack of equipment/govt policy.
u can try to explain why a cruel and incompetent nurse should be excused for his inefficiency, but the public know some of them are merchants of death.
To put it mildly, the public see the nurse in the public hospital as the nigerian police.

Actually sir, she was trying to correct your misconception about nurses with degrees and those without degrees.

But are you trying to say that the problem has to be my attitude as a nurse if the hospital management refuse to supply enough beds, gloves, disinfectants and the likes? And if i am on night duty in an emergency unit with just one other nurse and i have 20 critically ill patients or accident victims with just 10 bed spaces, it is my fault?

Bro, things are not always the way they seem. Please get rid of this bias and stereotypes of yours and be objective. In the Op's case, he did the best he could do in that situation. I am sure things would have been different if facilities were on ground.

That said, i agree that there are terrible nurses, just as there are bad professionals in every profession. You can help us reform them or flush them out. There is no excuse for negligence and rudeness. Most public hospitals have audit and disciplinary departments (servicom, mostly) where you can lodge complaints if any nurse is rude or negligent. No need to bear grudges or shout. Just get your evidence and report anyone who misbehaves.

1 Like

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by Nobody: 4:19pm On Nov 07, 2015
bnovative:

Honestly, I don't care anymore. I am on the verge of hightailing it out of Nigeria to where sanity still exist. So save it for others who still labour despite the lack of equipment and logistics.

It is quite unfortunate that you will believe that a soldier sent into the battle field should be armed with only the skills on how to sweet talk the opponent into surrender without the necessary equipment the soldiers are known for.
These comparison isn't even enough.

It is even the ineptitude of the public that let this purported attitudes to fester for long. Report, sue and sue and sue anybody suable instead of letting go.

4 Likes

Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by donodion(m): 4:34pm On Nov 07, 2015
Sanmel:
I'm a nurse too o.. JIC u av something special for Nairaland nurses.. smiley
Yea sista I do..but not only nurses..every healthcare worker.its a pleasure meeting you.I'm following u already.
Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by donodion(m): 4:39pm On Nov 07, 2015
dicefrost:

Yes sir
Done
Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by donodion(m): 4:39pm On Nov 07, 2015
ameenahz:

Please go ahead.
Done
mentorandfriend:
[color=#77007]Its OK by me.[/color]
Done
Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by connoisseur1: 5:09pm On Nov 07, 2015
zed7:
If you guys have no doctors or inadequate personnel then please close the hospital.
It's not an excuse you are giving. The duty of every medical personnel is to save life. Imagine how silly you are to say what you have said and called it a defence.
Haven't you met doctors who try to save accident victims even when they do not have their kits with them? They use whatever is available and make an attempt. No matter the situation, the medical personnel should make an attempt to help, reassure the patient and kindly refer them somewhere else.
This is not usually the case as our Nigerian nurses and doctors are arrogant and treat you like thrash.
Like the Nigerian society, you are only treated with respect if you have money.
Mr/Madam nurse, you excuse or defense is lame. The family of the man should have lynched you also. You people's attitude and not lack of facilities caused the man's death.
Very senseless comment. Shoro niyen?
Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by connoisseur1: 5:11pm On Nov 07, 2015
olrotimi:
Let me weigh into the discussion.
Firstly, Op you have spoken well and have spoken our mind. The state of health care in Nigeria is appalling to say the least. Lemme give my experience :
During my service year, I was the only doctor covering a general hospital in Ebonyi state and also the only health professional who 'sleeps -in'. After over working myself with the out patients, probably had one or two surgeries, I'd then be faced with call duty which is another story entirely. I play the role of doctor, nurse, pharmacist and oftentimes, health records. Oftentimes I get woken up at midnight by a woman in labour. With no nurse or midwife to assist me, I have to do what I have to do, as if I turn them away, they would end up with untrained traditional birth attendants. I have conducted countless deliveries including daring ones (twin gestations, breech, and placenta previa) sometimes with just one forceps and one scissors and just a head lamp. Ethically, this is wrong, but does my patient understand ethics, These I did 24/7 for a year and I was paid for just two months.
Bottom line is this : No one appreciates the circumstances we have to work under, ofcus we don't need your sympathy, but be guided by your glib talk and vituperations (like the poster above) cos many of you have inherent disdain for health professionals and nothing we say here would change it.
My exact sentiments. Awesome comment. Better Person!!
Re: Unfortunate Deaths In Our Hospitals; A Nurse's Perspective by HaneefahRN(f): 5:18pm On Nov 07, 2015
bnovative:

Normally, I don't argue with people who are obviously holding on to a stereotype, but ur points are full of fallacies. Pray tell how nurses are contributing more to the health sector in shambles than lack of equipment, adequate personnel, and an enabling environment to provide care?
Yes, there are bad eggs in nursing, someone being saucy and mean is a personality thing and not an attribute of the pple in a profession. If a nurse was rude to u or was negligent report to the appropriate quarters and don't paint everyone black.
The issue of BNSC and SON nurses is by the way, every nurse whether BNSC or diplomate has to write and pass the same licensure exam and have the basic RN which qualifies them to practice as nurses, and it isn't the certificate a nurse holds that determines if she is a good nurse, a nurse with masters might not have the compassion, empathy and good interpersonal relationship the diplomate nurse has although better in knowledge, and besides all nurses are striving for professional advancement everyday so no qualms there.
All nurses might be painted black by every1 becos of some bad eggs they meet, but it doesn't change the fact that there are nurses working their butts off every minute even with limited resources trying to save and improve lives of pple who do not appreciate them.
I'm curious, what's ur profession?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

5 Amazing Health Benefits Of White Star Apple (agbalumo/udala) / Woman Wants To Be Paid Before Taking Her Sick Child For Treatment. Graphic Pics / COVID-19: Abia State Delivers 1 Million Facemasks Nationwide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.