Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,971 members, 7,873,121 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:22 AM

Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC (22859 Views)

Bill Gates Speaks Pidgin English On BBC (Video) / Nigerian Economy Slips Into Recession - BBC / Us/global Stock Market In Pictures. (can Nigeria Survive This?) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Nobody: 11:31am On Dec 06, 2015
IzonOwei:
youre correct...in order to achieve that we need to be united as youths to stage such revolutions...we need to think as one...but believe ne a day is comung when such revolution will occur...even if we arent united now someday we would...when nigeria gets to a point when no jobs anywhere for anybody then we would run amok to maim or mob our leaders...

I doubt if that day will ever come.. generally Nigerians prefer the social media revolution, if na lie, ask your brother TonyeBarcanista. Nigerians are really suffering from Amnesia. And it didn't start today. I recall in the early 90's when fela sang "suffering and smiling", things have gotten worse since then and we are still suffering and smiling.

If only the people know their power. If only they can read...Arab spring wasn't even too long ago to learn from. If only everybody, biafra's, Yoruba's, urhobo's, ijaws and even hausa's etc can come together to fight the common enemy.

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Nobody: 11:34am On Dec 06, 2015
tobimillar:

I doubt if that day will ever come.. generally Nigerians prefer the social media revolution, if na lie, ask your brother TonyeBarcanista. Nigerians are really suffering from Amnesia. And it didn't start today. I recall in the early 90's when fela sang "suffering and smiling", things have gotten worse since then and we are still suffering and smiling.

If only the people know their power. If only they can read...Arab spring wasn't even too long ago to learn from. If only everybody, biafra's, Yoruba's, urhobo's, ijaws and even hausa's etc can come together to fight the common enemy.

how do we get all tribes together.., we even hate one another... embarassed....how do you get ibos, yorubas, hausas, ijaws, efiks, etc to stand as one to fight bad leadership...religion and tribalism wont let us....we are so doomed...

2 Likes

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by mindtricks: 11:42am On Dec 06, 2015
If China's kind of transformation can happen in Nigeria, that's what I call change!

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by wellmax(m): 11:48am On Dec 06, 2015
permsec:
With Buhari/Adeosun its never possible.

We are in for a long thing!!

The poster above me doesnt know that Buhari is like a 5year old kid with keys to a jet.

And the impossibility that you so wish for, how will it benefit you. Today is Sunday, so be it unto you according to your word. I believe in a batter Nigeria, it will be and I will benefit from it.

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Utchman1: 11:48am On Dec 06, 2015
Yes we can. And I believe PMB will lay down the foundation.
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by franconian: 11:48am On Dec 06, 2015
tobimillar:
[b] it is possible if only we have good followers. The elites understand Nigeria's problem and they are comfortably playing with our heads. Our problem is not corruption...our problem is that the Nigerian citizens are sick. ALL of them..all of us. We are all suffering from Amnesia.. that is the main problem. We make noise for a day or two and we move on like nothing happened. We don't have leadership problem, we have followership problem.

At the inauguration of the eight assembly, we made noise as usual for a few days about their salaries and allowances and suddenly, we went quiet again.
I recall with nostalgia during GEJ Era, how Nigerians screamed about the subsidy scam (otedola and Lawan), maina and pension scam, police fund scam, Halliburton scam and many others. But as usual the noise lasted a few days and then gross silence...

NIGERIA needs good followers...followers who will not only ask questions but also sustain the questions until answers are provided. Followers who understand their rights and duty as Citizens. Followers who know they can recall their senators if they are not well represented.....

Good followers, make good leader tomorrow and it's only with good and resilient followers that corruption can be properly dealt with
[/b]

Thank you for this comment. You made a nice point.

But this is what I think: I think the issue of bad followership is making headlines cos leadership has failed. If the leaders were up and doing, followers will have only little to worry about.
Our leaders had perpetually failed in their leadership role and with no hope of anything good coming from them, this is the very reason we now have to go for the second best option; good followership.

Now, we have to resort entirely to educating our minds on how to be good followers, with the ultimate aim of pressing for good leadership (by of course, holding dem leaders accountable at all times.
We are only calling for good followership to enable us "teach" the leaders how to be good leaders, instead of the leaders leading by example.
Bro, we cannot deny the fact that we have leadership problems. We have more of leadership than followership problems.

Don't get me wrong, both leaders and followers have roles to play if this country must move forward. None should neglect her duty.
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by juman(m): 11:52am On Dec 06, 2015
Can nigerian leaders be so serious and committed like that, I doubt it.
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by ttmacoy: 12:04pm On Dec 06, 2015
It is definitely possible for Nigeria to replicate China's economic success, but many many changes need to be made not just at the top but with ordinary Nigerians.

One line that struck home the most in this article was the one below about our reaction to when things go wrong. We continually accept lower and lower standards to the extent we do not really know what is right or wrong anymore. We just shrug and accept, shrug and accept and that must change. There are many things that happen in Nigeria where in a country like China there will be consequences, but in Nigeria we find a way to justify it. Nigerians must go though a fundamental change in mentality for Nigeria to achieve such success.

Also one thing we need to consider when comparing both countries is it was easier for China because it is a communist regime where the party can enforce policies by force. Nigeria being a democratic nation will require a lot more work, cajoling, comprising across parties and with the different levels of government as well as good and change management to be able to implement similar changes.

Rikidony:

I say believe because the audio on the state broadcast briefly cut out.
In China, an audio glitch at such an important event would cause heads to roll in shame. In Nigeria, people roll their eyes and shrug it off.

It is just one small example of how the Chinese are known for getting things done, while in Nigeria there is a reputation for cutting corners.

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Nobody: 12:13pm On Dec 06, 2015
IzonOwei:
how do we get all tribes together.., we even hate one another... embarassed....how do you get ibos, yorubas, hausas, ijaws, efiks, etc to stand as one to fight bad leadership...religion and tribalism wont let us....we are so doomed...

I guess we are doomed forever. My Igbo brethren I must admit are the only one's who have the mind to challenge the status quo. Twice they have done it, in 1967 and now in 2015. They are the only one's trying to fight for a change. But hey!!! I secretly wishing that Nnamdi Kanu can help us fight a more general revolution instead of a selfish biafra. And I wish he even succeed with biafra maybe that will Kickstart the change.I use to have hope in asari, tompolo, my general boyloaf, ayiri emami, late sekibo and other great Niger delta militants. I was secretly praying for them to start killing all ex governors, senators, etc in their locality and in Nigeria. Alas they are only fighting for their personal pocket. Tompolo now is the Lord of okrika, asari became a noise maker, ayiri became quiet and I lost hope in the revolution. I totally agree with you, WE ARE DOOMED. I know one day our children will call us cowards

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Nobody: 12:28pm On Dec 06, 2015
franconian:

Thank you for this comment. You made a nice point.

But this what I think: I think the issue of bad followership is making headlines cos leadership has failed. If the leaders were up and doing, followers will have only little to worry about.
Our leaders had perpetually failed in their leadership role and with no hope of anything good coming from them, this is the very reason we now have to go for the second best option; good followership.

Now, we have to resort entirely to educating our minds on how to be good followers, with the ultimate aim of pressing for good leadership (by of course, holding dem leaders accountable at all times.
We are only calling for good followership to enable us "teach" the leaders how to be good leaders, instead of the leaders leading by example.
Bro, we cannot deny the fact that we have leadership problems. We have more of leadership than followership problems.

ALL leaders, were once followers. And as long as the leaders know that we have docile, zombie followers, they will never change. Let's start, what happened to trade union? What happened to NANS? NLC? Human right activists (post gani fawenmi)? Musicians of common sense (post fela)? These and others were the followers that kept the government on their toes. They were the real opposition. So I daresay that leadership failed because followers failed. Even a little child will be naughty if there is no one around to watch and correct him.

I believe so much in revolution. Not media revolution like we are doing right now but real revolution. The French Revolution of 1789 changed France and the entire Europe years after leading to the rise of Napoleon Bonarpate in 1795. We need people to demand (not just ask) for accountability

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by franconian: 12:33pm On Dec 06, 2015
tobimillar:

ALL leaders, were once followers. And as long as the leaders know that we have docile, zombie followers, they will never change. Let's start, what happened to trade union? What happened to NANS? NLC? Human right activists (post gani fawenmi)? Musicians of common sense (post fela)? These and others were the followers that kept the government on their toes. They were the real opposition. So I daresay that leadership failed because followers failed. Even a little child will be naughty if there is no one around to watch and correct him.

I believe so much in revolution. Not media revolution like we are doing right now but real revolution. The French Revolution of 1789 changed France and the entire Europe years after leading to the rise of Napoleon Bonarpate in 1795. We need people to demand (not just ask) for accountability

I agree with you. The big question now is as followers where do we start from?
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by anonimi: 12:37pm On Dec 06, 2015
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by wink2015(m): 12:39pm On Dec 06, 2015
[size=18pt]The biggest challenge facing Nigeria is the large scale looting of our national treasury by public office holders. If we can keep corruption under check that is minimal we have the human capital, to achieve economic advancement.[/size]
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by anonimi: 12:42pm On Dec 06, 2015
franconian:

Participate and encourage continuous debate on issues of importance to us as Nigerians the same way Greeks did a few centuries ago that led to the establishment of the first modern democracy.
Invest in education for everyone as well by visiting our old schools and doing things to enhance learning opportunities for more people to push our own LGA and state officials to make this a priority.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2510983_twimg20150606110224_jpeg5c1c6f8907ece26082a279a94e87412c

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2510980_twimg20150606110213_jpeg0ad5efd7918a710560492e4035b09f17

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Nobody: 12:49pm On Dec 06, 2015
cc: @Mizmycoli
Yes, Nigeria has the potentials to replicate China, even much more. That given, this current administration with Buhari at the helms of affairs have no clear cut economic policy to drive the Nation to such enviable height amongst the committee of nations..Buhari is clearly not economically sound and may not give reins to the much needed technocrats in his cabinet. If the recent move of the current administration is anything to be taken serious, he not only must go after the opposition, he also must reel out into past regimes pre-1985, to clear the rot that hitherto have become normal...The funds recovered must be used for infrastructural development, build industries...Nigeria must be an industrialized Nation..Nigeria must be an export driven economy...the dependency on oil must be demystified.. This can be done on the one hand and as Alexis de Tocquexille quote states, " in a democracy,people get the government they deserve" , it is high time the Nigerian populace start placing demands of accountability on their elected public officials at all levels and strata of society...for Nigerians to understand that true power belong to the people and is vested in our institutions... when the institutions are strengthened, instead of strong men then we as a Nation can take our place as the true giant of Africa an economic power house indeed....if our institutions are strong, it wheels on auto pilot even if the man at the helms has an ineptitude or the other..good roads, functional and reachable health care system, electricity generation and supply etc are all bye-products of a strengthened and functional institutions..in summary, the responsibility lies within Nigerians.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Kingspin(m): 12:52pm On Dec 06, 2015
With this dull brains in power? Some people just want to be president in fact.

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by anonimi: 12:53pm On Dec 06, 2015
wink2015:
The biggest challenge facing Nigeria is the large scale looting of our national treasury by public office holders. If we can keep corruption under check that is minimal we have the human capital, to achieve economic advancement.

You mean that we HAD (past tense) human capital i.e. well educated labour pool of workers.
We no longer have that since our focus for the last 25 years or so has been on PAPER qualifications and not SKILLS acquisition.
Big difference.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2027366_buharinu_jpeg5ce072fcf9c5443e849caa9cebbeaa57

As for corruption, it is directly linked to the huge, humongous gap in salary paid to real workers and political jobbers. Any country that underpays its real workers is riddled with widespread corruption and heavy looting by those already overpaid politicians or rulers.
Check and confirm!

https://www.nairaland.com/2781346/angry-citizen-blasts-immigration-officials

We should fight to redress this injustice that did not exist as much in the 60s if we want to reduce corruption systematically.
Otherwise how do you expect an immigration staff paid on N18,000 minimum wage to live side by side with a 25 year old ATTENDED secondary school LGA Councillor who receives N300,000 from us?
How

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2943663_salar_jpeg17507ee9e7182339f9c9b827ff56ee7b

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2943664_wage_jpeg1488711c5349aed5f79f2e121e58b278
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Funkybabee(f): 12:54pm On Dec 06, 2015
may God save Nigerian from bad government

Apply for the Prolist Annual Salary Promo!! And Win ₦200,000 Monthly Salary for 12 Months. click here to register and win now==> https:///DTrkev . /DTrkev
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Nobody: 12:56pm On Dec 06, 2015
franconian:

That is what I wish the centre of discussion on online forums will be instead of discussing how much Sambo dasuki, high chief alero dokpesi, almakura others stole, we should be discussing how we can all gather in various states secretariat and local governments headquarters to mount a continuous persistent protest against corruption. But like izonowei said, it seem we are doomed because Nigerians are lazy. I think we need to learn from the Ipob guys in Anambra and onitsha. Although they are fighting a lost cause, the way they are able to gather and persistently demand for their biafra is a model for us to learn from... I wish all of them here TonyeBarcanista, cramjones, menix, wailers and mastubators alike can come together to fight a common enemy. Corruption

5 Likes

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by anonimi: 12:57pm On Dec 06, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
cc: @Mizmycoli
Yes, Nigeria has the potentials to replicate China, even much more. That given, this current administration with Buhari at the helms of affairs have no clear cut economic policy to drive the Nation to such enviable height amongst the committee of nations..Buhari is clearly not economically sound and may not give reins to the much needed technocrats in his cabinet. If the recent move of the current administration is anything to be taken serious, he not only must go after the opposition, he also must reel out into past regimes pre-1985, to clear the rot that hitherto have become normal...The funds recovered must be used for infrastructural development, build industries...Nigeria must be an industrialized Nation..Nigeria must be an export driven economy...the dependency on oil must be demystified..
This can be done on the one hand and as Alexis de Tocquexille quote states, " in a democracy,people get the government they deserve" , it is high time the Nigerian populace start placing demands of accountability on their elected public officials at all levels and strata of society...for Nigerians to understand that true power belong to the people and is vested in our institutions... when the institutions are strengthened, instead of strong men then we as a Nation can take our place as the true giant of Africa an economic power house indeed....if our institutions are strong, it wheels on auto pilot even if the man at the helms has an ineptitude or the other..good roads, functional and reachable health care system, electricity generation and supply etc are all bye-products of a strengthened and functional institutions..in summary, the responsibility lies within Nigerians.

Your head dey there, ma!

Africa does NOT need strong men, it needs strong INSTITUTIONS!
~ Barack Husein Obama, POTUS

BTW, is your dp aspirational? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Nobody: 12:58pm On Dec 06, 2015
Funkybabee:
may God save Nigerian from bad government

Apply for the Prolist Annual Salary Promo!!
And Win ₦200,000 Monthly Salary for 12 Months.
click here to register and win now==> https:///DTrkev
/DTrkev
....^^^^^this is what we are talking about! why don't you find a more befitting thread to post this?
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Nobody: 1:00pm On Dec 06, 2015
anonimi:

Your head dey there, ma!

BTW, is your dp aspirational? cheesy
...my dp represents me
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by anonimi: 1:02pm On Dec 06, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
...my dp represents me

emphasis on "represents"............nothing do you o sis. wink
cheers.
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Nobody: 1:05pm On Dec 06, 2015
anonimi:

emphasis on "represents"............nothing do you o sis. wink
cheers.
it represents my persona,where I am from and I am a light/torch bearer..

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by anonimi: 1:09pm On Dec 06, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
it represents my persona,where I am from and I am a light/torch bearer..

again, thanks. many thanks.
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Nobody: 1:11pm On Dec 06, 2015
anonimi:

again, thanks. many thanks.
smiley
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by musicwriter(m): 1:24pm On Dec 06, 2015
No mention of revolution in Education that happened in China?.

No mention of efforts by the Chinese government to fight off foreign influence for decades?.

No mention of investment in scientific education, research and development by the Chinese government?.

You see, this article is just one of the many ways western powers control the thought line of Africans, by burying the facts in education and giving you a fake knowledge.

Africa cannot develop without investment in grassroots science. (this in itself is not possible without a revolution in education) Africawide.

The west, including the journalist know it, but they don't want you to know that no nation will industrialize without science.

Science + Technology = Industry.
Science + Technology + Industry = Development.

Only science can solve the poverty problem of a nation. I rest my case.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by TheDauraMallam: 1:34pm On Dec 06, 2015
Yes.

When any corrupt official is mandatorily executed if found guilty.

Until then, we are just chasing shadows.
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Ayt27(m): 1:47pm On Dec 06, 2015
I feel I've left behind the grey, imposing order of Beijing for the chaos and colour of Lagos, where fun and frustration are doled out in equal measure.[b][/b]

Yes we can, if they kill all of them from 45years and above
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by nike4love: 1:59pm On Dec 06, 2015
Talking of economy and I ask 1.Can a cattle rearer solve eco-metrics? 2.Can a person that couldn't pass maths in waec be a chattered accountant? 3.Can a old soldier turn to civilian?
Believing in this govt is like believing there is short cut to success.
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Masterclass32: 2:23pm On Dec 06, 2015
Nigeria will surpass whatever China has achieved in many ways, though not under the incumbent. Buhari's primary role now is to fight corruption to a stand-still, without fear or favour. Not much headway will be made with corruption still seated on a throne in Nigeria. It has to be 'impeached'.

#IMPEACHCORRUPTION.
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by holocron: 2:36pm On Dec 06, 2015
tobimillar:
[b] it is possible if only we have good followers. The elites understand Nigeria's problem and they are comfortably playing with our heads. Our problem is not corruption...our problem is that the Nigerian citizens are sick. ALL of them..all of us. We are all suffering from Amnesia.. that is the main problem. We make noise for a day or two and we move on like nothing happened. We don't have leadership problem, we have followership problem.

At the inauguration of the eight assembly, we made noise as usual for a few days about their salaries and allowances and suddenly, we went quiet again.
I recall with nostalgia during GEJ Era, how Nigerians screamed about the subsidy scam (otedola and Lawan), maina and pension scam, police fund scam, Halliburton scam and many others. But as usual the noise lasted a few days and then gross silence...

NIGERIA needs good followers...followers who will not only ask questions but also sustain the questions until answers are provided. Followers who understand their rights and duty as Citizens. Followers who know they can recall their senators if they are not well represented.....

Good followers, make good leader tomorrow and it's only with good and resilient followers that corruption can be properly dealt with
[/b]

You hit the nail on the head. You are one of the few wise ones.

The problem you just highlighted is compounded by the press, which is one of the most corrupt institutions in this country. They are hopelessly corrupt and are easily bought and used by the powers. They lack integrity, and investigative journalism is a joke for them. The nigerian press, the so-called fourth estate, is an enemy of the people, misleading and keeping the people ignorant of true happenings. They have twisted and covered up so many atrocities and conspiracies in this country. Is it the fake nigerian army arranged niger delta militancy fiasco? Or the current boko haram army arrangement to suck the nation dry in fake military procurements? What about the fuel subsidy scam? This scam makes sure the refineries never work, no matter how much money is pumped in them, and that legislation WILL NEVER BE PASSED to enable private refineries. What about the power gaslines sabotage conspiracy? No one is talking about any of these

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. / I Have Five Hundred Thousand Naira, 500,000, Please Advise Me On Business To Do / Apart From Blogging How Can One Make Money Online?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.