Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,344 members, 7,888,094 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 07:08 PM

Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC (22884 Views)

Bill Gates Speaks Pidgin English On BBC (Video) / Nigerian Economy Slips Into Recession - BBC / Us/global Stock Market In Pictures. (can Nigeria Survive This?) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Bestbeelieve: 2:43pm On Dec 06, 2015
Judging from present economic trends....VERY UNLIKEly
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by delishpot: 2:56pm On Dec 06, 2015
With all the slavery and environmental damage that comes with it? Nigeria should be aiming to be like Germany not China.
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Nobody: 3:03pm On Dec 06, 2015
tobimillar:

That is what I wish the centre of discussion on online forums will be instead of discussing how much Sambo dasuki, high chief alero dokpesi, almakura others stole, we should be discussing how we can all gather in various states secretariat and local governments headquarters to mount a continuous persistent protest against corruption. But like izonowei said, it seem we are doomed because Nigerians are lazy. I think we need to learn from the Ipob guys in Anambra and onitsha. Although they are fighting a lost cause, the way they are able to gather and persistently demand for their biafra is a model for us to learn from... I wish all of them here TonyeBarcanista, cramjones, menix, wailers and mastubators alike can come together to fight a common enemy. Corruption
this guy you too get sense...shake my hands...you made so much sense sense when you emphasised we deliberate more on how to sternly hold our leaders accountable rather than dwell and support thieves because they are from a particular region or with a particular party...
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Nobody: 3:04pm On Dec 06, 2015
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Nobody: 3:11pm On Dec 06, 2015
tobimillar:

I guess we are doomed forever. My Igbo brethren I must admit are the only one's who have the mind to challenge the status quo. Twice they have done it, in 1967 and now in 2015. They are the only one's trying to fight for a change. But hey!!! I secretly wishing that Nnamdi Kanu can help us fight a more general revolution instead of a selfish biafra. And I wish he even succeed with biafra maybe that will Kickstart the change.I use to have hope in asari, tompolo, my general boyloaf, ayiri emami, late sekibo and other great Niger delta militants. I was secretly praying for them to start killing all ex governors, senators, etc in their locality and in Nigeria. Alas they are only fighting for their personal pocket. Tompolo now is the Lord of okrika, asari became a noise maker, ayiri became quiet and I lost hope in the revolution. I totally agree with you, WE ARE DOOMED. I know one day our children will call us cowards
the asaris and tompolos are all good for nothing selfish individuals who have little or no love for their own people...they are a waste to the niger delta.... angry...these are guys who could have resolutely fought for resource control to the end but what was the result...they now have big bellies...nonsense.... angry......

This is the reason why covertly might support the baifrans...they know what they want and they go for it...just that their leaders are keeping quiet because of what they get from the fg...
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by franconian: 3:12pm On Dec 06, 2015
tobimillar:

That is what I wish the centre of discussion on online forums will be instead of discussing how much Sambo dasuki, high chief alero dokpesi, almakura others stole, we should be discussing how we can all gather in various states secretariat and local governments headquarters to mount a continuous persistent protest against corruption. But like izonowei said, it seem we are doomed because Nigerians are lazy. I think we need to learn from the Ipob guys in Anambra and onitsha. Although they are fighting a lost cause, the way they are able to gather and persistently demand for their biafra is a model for us to learn from... I wish all of them here TonyeBarcanista, cramjones, menix, wailers and mastubators alike can come together to fight a common enemy. Corruption

I really don't think laziness is the major obstacle., after all, those protesting for Biafra are Nigerians too.

A persistent match/fight against corruption would encounter many obstacles, I will highlight some;

1. Getting people interested. Many of us seem not to know how bad corruption is affecting us.

2. Tribalism (d father of our pikin attitude).

3. Partisanship. How do we get PDP or APC fanatics to protest against their party member who is in power?

4. The powers that be (local and foreign). For sure, these corrupt elements will try anyway possible to dissuade people.

5. Fund. Buses would be hired on a daily basis, water to drink, the cost of reaching out to people etc.

6. Religious divide.

7. Lack of trusted personalities to lead the movement.

These are just few.
The IPOB protesters don't face many of these problems...they are more emotional too. If Kanu was not arrested, there wouldn't have been this kind of protest.

You are free to edit the list. And most importantly, provide possible solutions.

Please we shouldn't give up on Nigeria...by giving up, we've paid a lot already. I believe it can be done.

2 Likes

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by TonyeBarcanista(m): 3:22pm On Dec 06, 2015
franconian:

I really don't think laziness is the major obstacle., after all, those protesting for Biafra are Nigerians too.

A persistent match/fight against corruption would encounter many obstacles, I will highlight some;

1. Getting people interested. Many of us seem not to know how bad corruption is affecting us.

2. Tribalism (d father of our pikin attitude).

3. Partisanship. How do we get PDP or APC fanatics to protest against their party member who is in power?

4. The powers that be (local and foreign). For sure, these corrupt elements will try anyway possible to dissuade people.

5. Fund. Buses would be hired on a daily basis, water to drink, the cost of reaching out to people etc.

These are just few.
The IPOB protesters don't face many of these problems.

Please we shouldn't give up on Nigeria...by giving up, we've paid a lot already.
Can you guys spend your money on real movement? Its not by making noise. Do you know that activism is a very serious job?

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by franconian: 3:28pm On Dec 06, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Can you guys spend your money on real movement? Its not by making noise. Do you know that activism is a very serious job?

Tonye, good to see you here.

I highlighted the issue of fund too.

On activism being a serious job, people do serious jobs you know!
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by TonyeBarcanista(m): 3:36pm On Dec 06, 2015
franconian:

Tonye, good to see you here.

I highlighted the issue of fund too.

On activism being a serious job, people do serious jobs you know!
So you see why things aint working? In advanced societies their citizens support activists... In Nigeria the citizens don't care but still expect activists to push for their cause.

Do you think it's easy for some of us? Not everyone is morally bankrupt to look at the direction of politicians. So what's left for us activist?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by franconian: 3:47pm On Dec 06, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

So you see why things aint working? In advanced societies their citizens support activists... In Nigeria the citizens don't care but still expect activists to push for their cause.

Do you think it's easy for some of us? Not everyone is morally bankrupt to look at the direction of politicians. So what's left for us activist?

If that's a problem, there should be a solution. That takes us back to the number one point I raised. People don't care cos they don't know what corruption is doing to them. They need to be told repeatedly (the method politicians use when they want votes), one day they will get the point.
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by TonyeBarcanista(m): 3:55pm On Dec 06, 2015
franconian:

If that's a problem, there should be a solution. That takes us back to the number one point I raised. People don't care cos they don't know what corruption is doing to them. They need to be told repeatedly (the method politicians use when they want votes), one day they will get the point.
So you see why some genuine activists are not to be blamed?
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Flexyshubzy(m): 5:04pm On Dec 06, 2015
Nothing is impossible

This is a wake up call

In the next ten years I see Nigeria as a developed nation
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Lytech(m): 5:13pm On Dec 06, 2015
Adatob:
Not with all these old people running the government unless the 'leaders of tommorow' start running d government
you and I are the leaders of tomorrow,bt we r all scared to sacrifice our life for our generation,our leader dont give room for human right,freedom of speech which is the only problem hiddering the progress of the country....we need to flush all dis old fools out of our politics,its high time the youth take over,bt who will play the lead role?
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by obstead200(m): 5:16pm On Dec 06, 2015
coldsummer:
Yea we can and we will when it becomes compulsory that corrupt government officials must serve life in jail or be executed.

When you face harsh punishment for vandalism.

When business operate according to laid down standard operating rules.

When consumer protection is active.

When standardisation rules is in place.

When political office holders are made to know that they are there to serve the nation and the citizens. And not to mop out the nation's purse.

When police force are made to see citizens as human beings and not atm machines.

When our army sees that their strength a.d honour lies in protecting the nation and not brutalising citizens over petty things.

Then we shall move forward and be great
U have effectively summarized the entire problem of this nation. Unless these issues are addressed conclusively, we are going nowhere
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Nobody: 5:23pm On Dec 06, 2015
not a chance except we start doing what china does to corrupt government officials and politicians.

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Rossikk(m): 6:01pm On Dec 06, 2015
tobimillar:

I doubt if that day will ever come.. generally Nigerians prefer the social media revolution, if na lie, ask your brother TonyeBarcanista. Nigerians are really suffering from Amnesia. And it didn't start today. I recall in the early 90's when fela sang "suffering and smiling", things have gotten worse since then and we are still suffering and smiling.

If only the people know their power. If only they can read...Arab spring wasn't even too long ago to learn from. If only everybody, biafra's, Yoruba's, urhobo's, ijaws and even hausa's etc can come together to fight the common enemy.

Things have not "gotten worse since the early 90s". Unless maybe for you. Most guys we see today doing well were suffering and hustling in the early 90s. There were no mobile phones, no internet, and cars were only for the rich. Even university professors could barely afford a car. Abacha stifled growth, unlike today where businesses are booming. Oh..... and armed robbery was the order of the day back then.
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Adatob(m): 6:36pm On Dec 06, 2015
Lytech:

you and I are the leaders of tomorrow,bt we r all scared to sacrifice our life for our generation,our leader dont give room for human right,freedom of speech which is the only problem hiddering the progress of the country....we need to flush all dis old fools out of our politics,its high time the youth take over,bt who will play the lead role?
U ar on point bro, buh we are all scared! I hope God just flush all of dem once nd for all
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by MizMyColi(f): 8:58pm On Dec 06, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
cc: @Mizmycoli
Yes, Nigeria has the potentials to replicate China, even much more. That given, this current administration with Buhari at the helms of affairs have no clear cut economic policy to drive the Nation to such enviable height amongst the committee of nations..Buhari is clearly not economically sound and may not give reins to the much needed technocrats in his cabinet. If the recent move of the current administration is anything to be taken serious, he not only must go after the opposition, he also must reel out into past regimes pre-1985, to clear the rot that hitherto have become normal...The funds recovered must be used for infrastructural development, build industries...Nigeria must be an industrialized Nation..Nigeria must be an export driven economy...the dependency on oil must be demystified.. This can be done on the one hand and as Alexis de Tocquexille quote states, " in a democracy,people get the government they deserve" , it is high time the Nigerian populace start placing demands of accountability on their elected public officials at all levels and strata of society...for Nigerians to understand that true power belong to the people and is vested in our institutions... when the institutions are strengthened, instead of strong men then we as a Nation can take our place as the true giant of Africa an economic power house indeed....if our institutions are strong, it wheels on auto pilot even if the man at the helms has an ineptitude or the other..good roads, functional and reachable health care system, electricity generation and supply etc are all bye-products of a strengthened and functional institutions..in summary, the responsibility lies within Nigerians.

Succinctly and Intelligently Articulated.

Unfortunately, I doubt the government of the day has listening ears.
It doesn't matter how hard you wail really.

It feels like we, as a people have sold our birthrights for crumbs and stipends that have kept us backward and malnourished.

Nigerians have to wake up.
These folks, these lot.
There's little or nothing they can do for us.

It's always all about them.

Being quiet the past days helped me put things in perspective.
Until there's a change in the status quo...Until we begin to direct our darts and guns at those who deserve it, we're Stuck!

4 Likes

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Nobody: 9:05pm On Dec 06, 2015
MizMyColi:

Succinctly and Intelligently Articulated.

Unfortunately, I doubt the government of the day has listening ears.
It doesn't matter how hard you wail really.

It feels like we, as a people have sold our birthrights for crumbs and stipends that have kept us backward and malnourished.

Nigerians have to wake up.
These folks, these lot.
There's little or nothing they can do for us.

It's always all about them.

Being quiet the past days helped me put things in perspective.
Until there's a change in the status quo...Until we begin to direct our darts and guns at those who deserve it, we're Stuck!

..hey Miz, what's up with you gal? I guess we all are disenchanted...is there any hope for our dear Nation?
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by anonimi: 9:13pm On Dec 06, 2015
musicwriter:
No mention of revolution in Education that happened in China?.

No mention of efforts by the Chinese government to fight off foreign influence for decades?.

No mention of investment in scientific education, research and development by the Chinese government?.

You see, this article is just one of the many ways western powers control the thought line of Africans, by burying the facts in education and giving you a fake knowledge.

Africa cannot develop without investment in grassroots science. (this in itself is not possible without a revolution in education) Africawide.

The west, including the journalist know it, but they don't want you to know that no nation will industrialize without science.

Science + Technology = Industry.
Science + Technology + Industry = Development.

Only science can solve the poverty problem of a nation. I rest my case.

Thank you sir for this great post.
Cheers.
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by MizMyColi(f): 9:35pm On Dec 06, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
..hey Miz, what's up with you gal? I guess we all are disenchanted...is there any hope for our dear Nation?

lolz
Oh well....

I'll answer that in all sincerity as soon as I see the elections results from Bayelsa.

2 Likes

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by calcal: 12:57am On Dec 07, 2015
we simply don't have what it takes to move forward, we need technical know how which we don't have and no prospect to get one in the nearest future. NO professional laborers in this country to build the country. buying and selling of spare parts wound't change this country.
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by XaintJoel20: 3:30am On Dec 07, 2015
tobimillar:
[b] it is possible if only we have good followers. The elites understand Nigeria's problem and they are comfortably playing with our heads. Our problem is not corruption...our problem is that the Nigerian citizens are sick. ALL of them..all of us. We are all suffering from Amnesia.. that is the main problem. We make noise for a day or two and we move on like nothing happened. We don't have leadership problem, we have followership problem.

At the inauguration of the eight assembly, we made noise as usual for a few days about their salaries and allowances and suddenly, we went quiet again.
I recall with nostalgia during GEJ Era, how Nigerians screamed about the subsidy scam (otedola and Lawan), maina and pension scam, police fund scam, Halliburton scam and many others. But as usual the noise lasted a few days and then gross silence...

NIGERIA needs good followers...followers who will not only ask questions but also sustain the questions until answers are provided. Followers who understand their rights and duty as Citizens. Followers who know they can recall their senators if they are not well represented.....

Good followers, make good leader tomorrow and it's only with good and resilient followers that corruption can be properly dealt with
[/b]
May your days be longer than that of Methuselah...
Nigerian leaders are feasting on the docility of the followers.
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Nobody: 9:18am On Dec 07, 2015
MizMyColi:

lolz
Oh well....

I'll answer that in all sincerity as soon as I see the elections results from Bayelsa.
...sure, keep the fire going,don't let nobody muscle you out...Well Done! if only a large number of us understand it our responsibility to ask questions until we get satisfactory answers and results..if only

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by MizMyColi(f): 9:21am On Dec 07, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
...sure, keep the fire going, don't let nobody muscle you out...Well Done! if only a large number of us understand it our responsibility to ask questions until we get satisfactory answers and results..if only

My darling, tbh, it's not easy being a "lone voice in some political wilderness"
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Nobody: 9:34am On Dec 07, 2015
MizMyColi:

My darling, tbh, it's not easy being a "lone voice in some political wilderness"
...I know...especially when those who should be your supporters and should know better are the ones playing partisan politicking.. if the youths don't stand up to say no to business as usual because the older ones- the ruling class/elites have failed the nation woefully,posterity will judge harshly, that is if in the next 50years we do not find ourselves saying, "there was a Nation called Nigeria"..in every little way, let our lone voice be heard, just maybe it may spark the wild fire to turn things in the right direction...just maybe
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Nobody: 9:44am On Dec 07, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Tonye! howdy?
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by MizMyColi(f): 9:46am On Dec 07, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
...I know...especially when those who should be your supporters and should know better are the ones playing partisan politicking.. if the youths don't stand up to say no to business as usual because the older ones- the ruling class/elites have failed the nation woefully,posterity will judge harshly, that is if in the next 50years we do not find ourselves saying, "there was a Nation called Nigeria"..in every little way, let our lone voice be heard, just maybe it may spark the wild fire to turn things in the right direction...just maybe

Yes true that.
I'll do what I can.

Thanks a lot.
I appreciate the gesture.
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:51am On Dec 07, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
Tonye! howdy?
I'm good ma'am and you?
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Nobody: 10:11am On Dec 07, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
I'm good ma'am and you?
Doing great..thank you!
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Nobody: 10:14am On Dec 07, 2015
MizMyColi:

Yes true that.
I'll do what I can.

Thanks a lot.
I appreciate the gesture.
You are welcome.. seen @Rugged7 post I copied You? let's keep the fire burning.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria / Crypto Dilemma: Banking Public, Regulators Differ On Cryptocurrencies / Emefiele Accuses Nigerian Business Moguls Of Using Illegal Markets (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.