Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,643 members, 7,921,398 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 01:43 AM

My Problem With English Press - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / My Problem With English Press (2609 Views)

Acting Fifa President Hayatou Sleeps Through Press Conference. / Iheanacho Scores But No Hype From The English Press / Jay-jay Okocha Returns To Football With English Club (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Problem With English Press by Akolawole(m): 1:12pm On Oct 23, 2006
I cannot but laugh anytime i am reading Online newspaper of English media.

Like Chxta had accused me, i make use of them as a guide. To analyse premiership well, i think one need a Premiership media as well.

I like media supporting their home team or players but they should do that in an respectable but truthful manner.

Prior to World cup, English media were calling their team second best in the world behind Brazil. What yardstick are they using?

Is Lampard better than Benayoun of West ham? i say No.

I was reading their Online newspaper few days ago, they were calling Wayne Bridge as the second best left back in the world behind Ashley Cole.

On what yardstick?

Who told them Afghanistan national team's left full back is not the best.

What is your take on that?

Re: My Problem With English Press by kitaun(m): 1:53pm On Oct 23, 2006
The bane of development in English football has always been the media with its renowned penchant for hyping up its players to the world class status but really majority of their players are just average save for a few like Steve G and Cashley Cow. Tell me how many of their players can compare to our boys 1 on 1?
Re: My Problem With English Press by Jackal(m): 2:49pm On Oct 23, 2006
Hey Hey.
Don't hate on the Anglo-Saxons.
The English team sure has got some world-class players and they have every bragging right to think they are the best.
John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Wayne Rooney, Stevie Gerrard and David Beckham are world-class players.
Can u name any team in the world where the above-mentioned players will not fit?

Having said that, The British press makes and breaks.
They can make an ant feel like a lion BUT they can also make a lion feel like a maggot if care is not taken.
U can never doubt the powers of the pen in England solets just leave the issue as it is.
I believe Enlish team with a[b] good manager[/b] are capable of winning the world cup.
Re: My Problem With English Press by hustler(m): 3:32pm On Oct 23, 2006
@ akola.

One interesting topic from u at last, lol just jokin.

But on the real the english press make their league and players seem larger than life.

They overhype them to the point of no return.At least now the whole world has seen from their dismal showin at the world cup that they are all products of the press.apart from Gerard, Joe cole, Hargreaves and may be Rooney on a good day none of their players are really worth mentioning.

Beckham was overhyped as the best right sided midfielder in the world but has never been in the top 3 of Fifa Player of the year awards.A winning and succesful Italian coach comes to his club and puts him where he's supposed to be.Right on the bench.

I think one other thing the press fail to note is that their home grown coaches are weak and lack technical input.This is cuz it was never passed to them in their playing days.we all see Italian and dutch players who have excelled in their footballing careers and are now making giant strides in coaching.Ancelotti to Rijkaard to van Basten to Donadoni(All Milan products).ETC

I laffed when i heard Allardyce was being shortlisted as england coach.To start emphasizing on Long throws and Long Balls to beat opposing teams

It was disgusting to hear an English commentator say during the world cup that Grosso was an unknown commodity prior to the world cup.I'd take him over their second best Wayne Bridge anyday.

b4 the Milan vs United game of UCL 2005 they hyped bout the speed of Rooney and how it would trouble our aged back 4.Did Rooney get more than 5 touches of the ball in that game?Now he hasn't been scoring and they say he's off form.

the truth is when these players come against players and teams of real quality, they are brought to their level.
which to me is mere ordinary.Not when they play teams like Andorra, or Watford.

I watch the premiership even though i don't like the style of play.I like to follow the careers of my country men there most especially.But i can never get carried away by the hype.

More posts to come, watch out,
Re: My Problem With English Press by kitaun(m): 5:44pm On Oct 23, 2006
@Hustler, are u saying Becks had never been in the top 3 of the Fifa footballer of the year award? u better take it out b4 d likes of Jackal discover ur blunder
Re: My Problem With English Press by hustler(m): 8:41pm On Oct 23, 2006
ok he's been second or third to Rivaldo b4 only that i remember in the year of their treble.

Don't u think if our own George Finidi had been hyped to his level he would have won the Player award back to back in the 90's when he was playing like a possessed midfielder for Betis

when he was in his elements he was thrice as good as Becks.
Re: My Problem With English Press by Jackal(m): 8:57pm On Oct 23, 2006
@ hustler,
U spew bollocks sometimes, son.
David Beckham is world class and only an idiot would argue he isn't world-class,
Beckham's crosses and ball deliveries speak for itself and he is one of the very few players who can deliver 80-90 yard pass in the world today.

I agree the British press sometimes over-hype their players but u cannot overlook the fact that there are world class players in the English team.
If u want to base a country's quality on a tournament then u should consider yourself short-sighted.
Many great football nations did disappoint at the world cup.
Ronaldinho had a horrid tournament and so was Rooney and many other English players.

I can list over 40 quality players who could not find their feet at the world cup and does that make them over-hyped? Hell Nah.
Sh.it does happen sometimes and u cannot really place a finger on why things aint working out for teams.
England has got quality players and can demolish most teams on their day IF everyone remains fit.
Where were u when England pulverised the Argentines in November 2005?
Owen and Rooney were stupendous and their individual brilliance won the day for England.
Re: My Problem With English Press by Chxta(m): 9:03pm On Oct 23, 2006
The English press? Look at it this way, they beat Jamaica, and suddenly they were going to win the World Cup!

I am almost 30 years old, which means that England last won the World Cup (by mistake) before I was born. But I keep hearing them make noise about that victory 40 years ago! How many of the current noise makers were born then?

The implication of all that noise is that if they win another World Cup, then I will not hear word until I die (3 score plus 10). That is like a death sentence.

And God forbid that will happen. . .
Re: My Problem With English Press by hustler(m): 9:12pm On Oct 23, 2006
@ jackal

It amazes me the way gullible ppl like u get drawn by wat the press write instead of u getting the picture by urself.

U call a player who has got only one quality, ablity to deliver crosses world class, well it's ur point of view.not mine

i guess it's only in ur animal planet that a team with quality beats Andorra and the likes of Greece and cant stand the firepower of the croats and u still think they are world class.Would u then say that everyone in the Croatia team is world class cuz they beat England??
U say he delivers 90 yd passes.Does he do that better than Pirlo

against argentina when they won wasn't it Crouch dat got praise for the second goal??cuz he did wat.cuz the tall f.ck just leapt to reach a ball that got to Owen.

Well u can let the press fool u all u want.U'll wake up from the fool's paradise one day when Togo beat em silly.lol
Re: My Problem With English Press by Jackal(m): 9:25pm On Oct 23, 2006
@ Chxta,
England makes noise? Yea right.
The same way they hype their players is the same way they drag their names in the mud when they fail.
Go n read The Sun since England lost to Croatia and weigh the criticisms levelled against the team.
The praises and criticisms are at equilibrium so i can't be bothered about it.

Nigeria has never won the world cup and yet people make noise about the Super Eagles each time the team represents any competition.
The fact is every country makes noise about their achievements or WOULD BE achievements.
It only shows how strong the English press makes themselves heard all over the world.

Who doesn't hope to win the world cup.
Even Togo had hopes of winning the last world cup so its a global phenomenom.
U cannot compare how the English press would broadcast about themselves on the media to the way Nigerians or other less-priviledged countries will do.
You think the English are proud? Please try the Americans!!!!!!!!!!!

@ hustler,
I refuse to be drawn into arguments with someone whose IQ is less than mere 20.
Who the damn hell is Andrea Pirlo compared to David Beckham?
How do u begin to compare what Beckham has been doing for one and a half decade to what a spagghetti freak called Pirlo is doing now?
Is it that you can't see beyond your nose or u are just plain stupid?
I would go for the latter rather than the former because even a dog knows Beckham is class.
How many times has Pirlo scored from his own half?
Beckham's ball delivery won the UEFA champions league for Man Utd in 1999.
2 precise ball deliveries got to 2 goals in 90 + extra minutes.
Beckham's free-kicks are commercial ads everywhere and i am yet to see Pirlo's anywhere.

England is worthless because they lost to Croatia?
Only an slowpoke like u will utter such a blasphemy.
We can as well say France is useless for losing to Republic of Ireland and even Israel in the past.
Nigeria is also rubbish for losing to Angola and failing to qualify for the world cup-according to a scumbag like u.
Great teams all over the world have their bad patches so why won't England?
You are mentally unhealthy and this is OFFICIAL.

Maybe u need to go polish your football knowledge because its a sheer waste of time arguing with u.
I am pretty sure my dog knows more football than u if only it can speak.
U'd be better off discussing and analysing women gymanstics.
U are just a function of your brains so i aint surprised u spew bollocks.
Please try and be sober next time before u post again on this thread.
It seems u are seriously WUI(Writing Under the Influence)
Re: My Problem With English Press by hustler(m): 9:55pm On Oct 23, 2006
@ jack ass

It seems trading words on the internet is ur only hope of being heard and being seen as controversial.What a shame??

well have fun whenever mom is asleep and u get access to it.U wrote that 2 precise balls made the difference.do u kno the meaning of the word "precise

Didn't one of the goals result from a 50-50 goal mouth scramble??Did he pick out anyone really with it??

I doubt u know the man Andrea Pirlo.Try to know more.It seems ur knowledge of football only comes from one angle.

The one driven by the Press.U don't have a mind or an idea of ur own.

Like i said u can let the press fool u and keep "drooling" in ur fool's paradise.

I also suggest u ask that smart dog of urs to help u with ur typing.It seems u r havin problems with the word gymnastics or is it "gymanstics".

I bet ur dog's smarter than u r.

After all dogs are smarter than jackals.

Intelligent posts being awaited b4 this place gets turned to sumthin else.
Re: My Problem With English Press by nosa101(f): 10:03pm On Oct 23, 2006
The yank media is worse. Trust me. Just look at Freddy Adu.
Re: My Problem With English Press by Jackal(m): 10:31pm On Oct 23, 2006
All of a sudden anutha mind-Bleep ressurects on Nairaland.
I thought i'd put morons like u away for a long time but it seems roaches have 7 lives.
Roaches encroach Nairaland just like the way snakes slither in the grass spineless.
How many ignoramus like hustler still exists on this sports forum?

Lemme break u something proper u sonofabitch------------------------------
First all, Your unbalanced mentality seems to be your greatest undoing.
U cannot reason coherently to save your momma's life and its appaling for a di.ck-head like u to display your ignorance on a public forum.
Comparing Andrea Pirlo to David Beckham is like comparing your gay head to Albert Einstein.
Far cry, ain't it?
Beckham's been delivering precise passes before your poppa's spematozoa fertilised the egg that made you.
U need to broaden your scope and track back to the legends of the last decade before shouting Pirlo.
Read between the lines and stop being a retard that u are.

Honestly, i seriously think most domestic animals are smarter than u.
Only God knows which of the dominant genes of your dad was poisoned that made u a complete human-mutt.
U are disgusting and your mouth is a potential infection site.
Lest i forget, If u marry a fool like u i am afraid u will produce idiots.
Get the nearest adult education centre up your street before u die with the foolish genes in your goddang body.
bleeping schmuk!!!!!!!!!!
Re: My Problem With English Press by hustler(m): 10:48pm On Oct 23, 2006
Jackal:

All of a sudden anutha mind-Bleep ressurects on Nairaland.
I thought i'd put morons like u away for a long time but it seems roaches have 7 lives.
Roaches encroach Nairaland just like the way snakes slither in the grass spineless.
How many ignoramus like hustler still exists on this sports forum?

Lemme break u something proper u sonofabitch------------------------------
First all, Your unbalanced mentality seems to be your greatest undoing.
U cannot reason coherently to save your momma's life and its appaling for a di.ck-head like u to display your ignorance on a public forum.
Comparing Andrea Pirlo to David Beckham is like comparing your gay head to Albert Einstein.
Far cry, ain't it?
Beckham's been delivering precise passes before your poppa's spematozoa fertilised the egg that made you.
U need to broaden your scope and track back to the legends of the last decade before shouting Pirlo.
Read between the lines and stop being a retard that u are.

Honestly, i seriously think most domestic animals are smarter than u.
Only God knows which of the dominant genes of your dad was poisoned that made u a complete human-mutt.
U are disgusting and your mouth is a potential infection site.
Lest i forget, If u marry a fool like u i am afraid u will produce idiots.
Get the nearest adult education centre up your street before u die with the foolish genes in your goddang body.
bleeping schmuk!!!!!!!!!!

Rantings of a Fool.

+ y did it take u so long to replyHad to really check ur "dictionary" for the words u could use ey??if u totally wanna deviate from the thread y don't u start another one for my sake.It seems u really like getting attention from me.

Allow dem 1000 dollar words to get typed by ur 1 cent fingers while u get the chance to use the web.it still fascinates u right??
Re: My Problem With English Press by Akolawole(m): 11:03pm On Oct 23, 2006
@Hustler

Why now?

Please stop it.
Re: My Problem With English Press by Jackal(m): 11:26pm On Oct 23, 2006
@ Akola,
Leave the silly-ass alone.
Lemme dig some halo-tips in his body that will make him question his existence.
Imagine a street urchin like hustler trading words with me.
His friends will read his obituary in front of his family.

@ Hustler,
Everyone cannot grow up in a poverty-stricken environment like u do.
U against me is no contest as i will make u question everything u have ever believed in.
Jackal is a top pedigree so don't Bleep wiv me.
Don't make me smother ur clan.
I can sever ur hands and ur legs lyrically.
Mail ur brother ur heart and send ur mother ur gay-head.
Re: My Problem With English Press by kitaun(m): 11:57pm On Oct 23, 2006
@Jackal & Hustler, you are 2 great guys allowing ur beautiful arguments to be tainted with vulgarities, pls take a cue from Akola and I we did not resort to swearing at ourselves despite the protractedness of the brouhaha and even peeps were wondering what show we were putting on despite being pals (actually hin be my bros). Whatever happened to sarcasm being used to inmidate ur challenger? Guys thanx as u put a stop to these vulgar yarns and move on
Re: My Problem With English Press by tosinadeda: 12:31am On Oct 24, 2006
Wut the hell is the problem with you both?
@jackal
its really a shame that u can insult ur fellow man(naija 4 dat matter)on a public forum all because he gave his own opinion! Its really disgusting.who the hell do u think u re? Nairaland chief or what?

No be say beckham even know u sef

@hustler
two wrongs never make a right
Re: My Problem With English Press by kitaun(m): 12:50am On Oct 24, 2006
@Tosin, keep ur peace, i would hate to see Jackal eat you up as it seems u r gooner and u r new around, watch as the gang flows 1st as even hustler was only playing around and catching fun as am sure he knows Jackal to be one hell of a guy
Re: My Problem With English Press by hustler(m): 12:53am On Oct 24, 2006
@ Kitaun

u could see from his first post that the kiddie wanted to have a go at me.Cuz this as we all know is the only opportunity he has to use profanity.The Internet.Or wasn't it just a peaceful argument until the lunatic barged in

But the basic thing is that i think he's just a kid with a lot of growing up to do.We should try to play our parts in his growing process.

@ Jack ass

Talking bout trading words, lol, kiddie the only trading i do is that that brings money to my pocket.Not firing salvos at a nitwit like u.U r worthless to me.I'm a Biz man.Can tell the difference b/w a diamond and a pebble.U r of no use

I'm just thinkin man that it could be that ur mom had to give ur pops brain/b4 she became pregnant with u and is that the reason u dont have brainsJuss thinkin sha.

Product of a Quickie(1 Minute Sex to be exact)Was the condom leakingJust thinking sha.

But i have no doubt in my mind that u r ur parents' Biggest Mistake ever.

U can continue ranting all u want kiddie, but time means money to me and not another second is  goin to be wasted on a Hopeless gay like u.

Buena Giorno.
Re: My Problem With English Press by naija4life(f): 1:05am On Oct 24, 2006
way to go hustler, way to go!!!

Hit him hard where it hurts,

Make him squirt, hehehehhahahah grin grin grin
Re: My Problem With English Press by kitaun(m): 1:27am On Oct 24, 2006
@Naijalife, what the heck was that about? Are you interested in taking on Jackal too after ur tussle with Lordi? I pity you cos even all other blues would rather not get involved especially as u r meant to mediate, moreso u r new around y stir up trouble! Haba take am easy o!
Re: My Problem With English Press by kitaun(m): 1:33am On Oct 24, 2006
@Hustler, why take this personal? Jackal is not taking it to heart that much! Its not enough 4 u to come saying all these vulgar stuff to each other all in a bid to outdo the other person. Pls let byegones be byegones
Re: My Problem With English Press by hustler(m): 1:59am On Oct 24, 2006
@ kitaun

U got it totally wrong oo.I would never take stuff like this personal.it's not the real world now haba.

I never even wanted to reply at first but it seemed he had been craving for my attention all this while not starting from this thread but others in the past.So at least he got it now and i bet he's a happy kid.

Like i said b4 when the thread started, did i say anything derogatory to u or Akolay must he try to form Chief terrorist all the time??didn't u even correct me bout Beckham ??

But on the real No hard feelings.Believe me.It's not even worth it .it's a waste of time, lets continue with the topic abeg,
Re: My Problem With English Press by kitaun(m): 2:26am On Oct 24, 2006
Its ok man, what i know of you both is that you are not as terrible in human relations like u make it sound with ur posts so forget it and lets all be friends regardless of clubs/ nationalities we owe our allegiance
Re: My Problem With English Press by teeroy(m): 8:44am On Oct 24, 2006
I'm glad people are
Re: My Problem With English Press by Jackal(m): 11:01am On Oct 24, 2006
Blooody hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know the bastards on Nairaland are going to pull me back and they just did.
How many wanksters want to get involved? I am going to hit u roaches silly and ballllllllllllllllllllll.

@ Hustler,
You are a product of a cheap drunk Bleep.
Maybe your momma never told u he was raped by your dad( a street drunk) which resulted to a lunatic like u.
Your conception was the most scandalous thang that happened in your village because your momma was supposed to marry a village chief until the drunk of your father got involved.

The product of a drunk will always have problems growing up.
Ain't we all the products of our immediate environment?
U grew up watching your drunk poppa having a go at your weak mom and that made what u are today.
U r a complete mind-Bleep and u need to get a shrink to do some mind bending on your mental balance.
It's interesting to see time means money to u. grin
The time used to pick pockets @ Oshodi bus-stop must be very valuable.
What does alcohol and domestic violence mean to your daddy? shocked

@ naija4life,
The friend of a dog is also a dog.
Its horrible to even realise u are not worthy to be called a dog. Lemme try n call u a donkey.
Ya own problem stems from an unfamiliar infection u have been battling for ages.
Don't forget to ask your parents if u ever suffered from brain damage as an infant.

@ Tosinadeda,
Go back and read ma  first post and tell me why the bastard had to tell me i am living in a fool's paradise.
Hustler crossed the gun-line and he got fired. It is as simple as that.
He can rant all he likes but he is still a product of a cheap drunk Bleep.

I aint a Nairaland chief neither am i a Nairaland slave.
The name is Jackal and i will pounce, tear and demolish any individual or group of individuals that try to disrespect ma manhood.
It does not matter to me how many wanksters on the other side-The more the merrier.

@ Kitaun,
Track back and tell me who started this heat.
I don't even know he ever existed on Nairaland neither did i know him from Adam until his drunken comments.
Hustler has no right to use his dad's language on a public forum.
The fact that his dad normally uses the word "fool" on his mom gives him no right to apply the same language on Nairaland.

I won't let this get to ma head.
Hustler needs to be checked and i think i am capable of doing that.
35 years of parental care on this miscreant failed woefully but 2 days of ma intensive hard-boiled methods should keep him mute forever and ever.
Happy reading, mate.
Re: My Problem With English Press by tosinadeda: 11:11am On Oct 24, 2006
E b like say sum pple no pass english 4 waec.
@jackal
fools paradise is a literary term.it doesnt mean ure a fool.
To me i think thats just an excuse to prove all the rantings uve been doing
Re: My Problem With English Press by Jackal(m): 11:17am On Oct 24, 2006
@ Tosinadeda,
U need to go back to kindergarten school.

A fool's paradise is a state of delusive contentment.
Who often gets deluded? A fool.
Read between the lines.

U can use these words on ur parents and lets see if they will pat ur head.
Buncha grwon-up illiterates.
Re: My Problem With English Press by Akolawole(m): 11:24am On Oct 24, 2006
@Jackal

Must you reply?

Non-replying does not mean you are defeated. Does it?

@Hustler and co

Are you chasing Trophy on this?

@All

Skinnite left Nairaland because of abuses in Sports.

Sirkay still visit Nairaland but not sports.

Recall, Seun(Administrator) had once issue a threat to close up Sports because of vulgarity.

I hereby Suspend myself from Nairaland sports.

Thank you all.
Re: My Problem With English Press by Chxta(m): 11:26am On Oct 24, 2006
Yet another Nairaland argument gets bogged down by insults. . . Somtimes I wonder why I bother. . .
Re: My Problem With English Press by Jackal(m): 11:28am On Oct 24, 2006
@ Akola,
Pls dont leave Nairaland.
I surrender all ma weapons of destruction henceforth.
No more shedding of blood. grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

#who Will Win The Next World Best Player# / The University With The Best Football Pitch In Nigeria / 2 Sure Odd For You.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.