Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,145 members, 7,943,108 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 05:56 AM

Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue - Foreign Affairs (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue (4726 Views)

South Africans Ignore Appeal, Continue Attacks On Foreigners / Russian Man Nails Own Testicles In Protest Against Crackdown On Political Rights / Malawi's President Sells Presidential Jet And 60 Mercedes Limousines (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by TayoD1(m): 12:29am On Jun 22, 2009
@RichyBlack,

Those responsible for killing civilians in Iran should be arrested, tried and convicted for their crimes.
Who would that be?
Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by bawomolo(m): 12:59am On Jun 22, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Iran is a democracy, an imperfect democracy like the imperfect democracy in the US where innocent people are jailed without trial for decades and poor people are allowed to die just because they do not have health insurance.

There is no perfect democracy. Iran and America are imperfect democracies!

You are right, a country with no freedom of the press, freedom of protest, government backed civilian militias and a religious council is a democracy.

What does health insurance have to do with a democracy?

Maybe Nigeria should elect the head of CAN as it's supreme leader.

RichyBlacK:

Those responsible for killing civilians in Iran should be arrested, tried and convicted for their crimes.

what about the guys that shut down press bureaus and arrested moussavi supporters?
Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by ElRazur: 1:58pm On Jun 22, 2009
An admission of vote-rigging?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article6553843.ece

Looks like it to me.

In 50 Iranian cities the number of votes cast in this month presidential election exceeded the number of eligible voters, the state's election watchdog admitted today.

The surprising admission by the Guardian Counci[/b]l was, however, designed to undermine the claims of the defeated candidates that the vote was rigged.

How the heck can one have more votes than voters? I have a feeling [b]RichyBlack
would provide an answer.
Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by ElRazur: 10:18am On Jun 23, 2009
Nice one Iran.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article6557858.ece

Her name was Neda Salehi Agha Soltan and she was a philosophy student. But the manner of her death has turned her into an instant, global symbol of the Iranian regime’s brutality.

This innocent woman aged 26 was shot in the chest during running battles between opposition protesters and Iranian security forces in Tehran on Saturday. Since then, a grainy, 40-second video showing her final moments, blood streaming from her nose and mouth as a man implores her not to die, has ricocheted around the world on YouTube, blogs and social networking sites.

Miss Soltan, whose first name means “voice”, has become a martyr for freedom, Iran’s equivalent of the student who defied China’s tanks in Tiananmen Square. Pictures of the “Angel of Iran” are being held aloft at demonstrations outside Iranian embassies around the world. Tribute sites have been set up on Facebook, and Twitter has been inundated with heart-rending messages.

How many more?
Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by JustGood(m): 11:37am On Jun 23, 2009
I do remember irregularities when George Bush was elected and there were no such media uproar to lead to protests
Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by ElRazur: 11:44am On Jun 23, 2009
There was a recount isnt? And the media DID focus on the story. In fact, it became a running gag up till today.

Are you suggesting the media is responsible for the events in Iran?
Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by ElRazur: 6:21pm On Jun 24, 2009
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article6561253.ece

The Iranian authorities have ordered the family of a student shot dead in Tehran to take down mourning posters as they struggle to stop her becoming the rallying point for protests against the presidential election.

Neda Salehi Agha Soltan, 26, was killed as she watched a pro-democracy protest, and mobile phone footage of her last moments have become a worldwide symbol of Iran's turmoil.

The authorities had already banned a public funeral or wake and have prevented gatherings in her name while the state-controlled media has not mentioned Miss Soltan's death.

Today it was reported that they had also told her family to take down the black mourning banners outside their home in the Tehran suburbs to prevent it becoming a place of pilgrimage. They were also told they could not hold a memorial service at a mosque.

The silence in here regarding these stories speak volumes.

An innocent person killed, yet the authorities keep doing all they can to give misery and more misery to the family. **shakes head in disgust**
Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by TayoD1(m): 8:01pm On Jun 24, 2009
ElRazur:

The silence in here regarding these stories speak volumes.
Why are you so surprised? Many on this forum only feign anger when it involves either Isreal or the USA. Who kills who does not matter if it does not implicate a Jew or an American! Sad innit?!
Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by honeric01(m): 8:31pm On Jun 24, 2009
I don't understand somethings here, based on the facts on ground before and during the election, who did you people tip to win this election How many people knew the oppositions that well? How many times did all these western medias aired the campaigns of all the opposition candidates before and during the election? Why is it now that people are no crying BLUE MURDER?

Lastly, why is it only in tehran that they have protests? What about the rest 49 provinces? Are they all in support of the result or the candidate that won?
Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by TayoD1(m): 11:03pm On Jun 24, 2009
honeric01:

I don't understand somethings here, based on the facts on ground before and during the election, who did you people tip to win this election How many people knew the oppositions that well? How many times did all these western medias aired the campaigns of all the opposition candidates before and during the election? Why is it now that people are no crying BLUE MURDER?

Lastly, why is it only in tehran that they have protests? What about the rest 49 provinces? Are they all in support of the result or the candidate that won?
Good observation. I also do not understand something here. Perhaps you can help explain why the number of registered votes in more than 50 cities in Iran exceed the number of eligible registered voters. Do you suppose that is evidence of election fraud?
Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by ElRazur: 1:39am On Jun 25, 2009
honeric01:

What do you mean "you people"? Anyway, the election had interest from all media outlets - western and non-western. I guess it depends on which source you get your news from. smiley

You do not have to "know the oppositions that well" when there are source where one can get a quick facts on them, who they are and what they represent.

People are paying attention as a result of how the Iran's authorities have manoeuvred in this whole fiasco so far.

Tehran is the boiling point and a major rally point for all everyone who felt they had to protest against what they see asa blatant rob of their votes. There is strength in numbers you see. smiley There may be protest in other places, but right now the whole world is focused on Tehran. smiley
Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by ElRazur: 1:43am On Jun 25, 2009
Tayo-D:

Why are you so surprised? Many on this forum only feign anger when it involves either Isreal or the USA. Who kills who does not matter if it does not implicate a Jew or an American! Sad innit?!

Yeah I do see your reasons for saying so. I was hoping those who have been blindingly vocal about Iran issues would at least say something.
Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by biina: 5:14am On Jun 25, 2009
Tayo-D:

Good observation. I also do not understand something here.  Perhaps you can help explain why the number of registered votes in more than 50 cities in Iran exceed the number of eligible registered voters. Do you suppose that is evidence of election fraud?
Actually the system does not seem to have voters registration and is quite porous to rigging.

See the article 'Iran's Voting Manipulation Industry' http://www.realclearworld.com/articles/2009/06/irans_voting_manipulation_indu.html

In fact the procedures for dealing with electoral malpractice gives an incentive to rig where you are not popular simply to cut in into your opponents quota.
Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by ElRazur: 9:48am On Jun 25, 2009
More internal divide and power struggle?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/8118139.stm

More than 100 MPs appear to have snubbed an invitation to celebrate Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's election win, local press reports say.

All 290 MPs were invited to the victory party on Wednesday night but 105 did not turn up, the reports say.

Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by JustGood(m): 11:15am On Jun 25, 2009
I believe that Tehran is where most of the educated people live in Iran hence the protests and I have a feeling that many people in Tehran would have voted for the opposition as they mainly have western education.

No one has been able to prove thus far that there was actual manipulation with intent to rig on the part of the ruling party.

I dont care about Iran - there are enough problems in my own country- but I dont like the attitude of blindly following anything American/British/ Western.
Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by JustGood(m): 11:17am On Jun 25, 2009
ElRazur:

So, 105 MPs (perhaps oppostion MPs) did not attend. Does that necessarily point to election malpractices? They are 105 out of 290. I'm trying to figure out what proportion that is . . .
Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by ElRazur: 12:52pm On Jun 25, 2009
JustGood:

So, 105 MPs (perhaps oppostion MPs) did not attend. Does that necessarily point to election malpractices? They are 105 out of 290. I'm trying to figure out what proportion that is . . .

Hence why the observational statement was a question. Nice try you.
Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by JustGood(m): 1:03pm On Jun 25, 2009
ElRazur:

Hence why the observational statement was a question. Nice try you.

Noted. cool
Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by NegroNtns(m): 8:55am On Jun 26, 2009
Allow me to throw some conspiracy flavor into this story pot. First the preambles before the flavor.

Before all of these election outcomes Iran was already in the news and the storm was gathering to a point where US media had opined that there was a split amongst Muslims in the ME. . .one faction, the Shias, led by Iran and the other, the Sunnis, led by Saudi Arabia.

President Obama's speech in Cairo was not a random event. It was a stone designed to kill multiple birds, repairing that split and closing the gap was one of the mission statement in that speech.

The President sees and recognizes the importance of Iran to the security of America in that region and hence his reason for bending over backward to bring them to the negotiation table. Twice now the world has witnessed the significance and value of assymetrical war - first when superpower Soviet suffered defeat in the hands of foot soldiers in Afghanistan and second when superpower America suffered defeat in the hands of foot soldiers in Iraq. Defense strategists in America are thinking of modifying American military force to have the traditional infantry combat groups as well as foot soldier combatants for counter-insurgencies in foreign and remote areas of the globe. In fact, Blackwater is already running the pilot training. Until such time when that force manpower is available, America must limit its exposure and losses to defeats in Middle East. So far, America lost in Lebanon, Somalia, Yemen, Iraq. . .and has fought an 8 year escalating war in Afghanistan. Iran has a strong tactical and strategic interest in America's presence around its borders and also command a far reaching influence with the foot soldiers of Middle East.

Now, here is the conspiracy.

Iran cannot be a ME powerhouse with a split house, it must have the loyalty and following of both the Shia and the Sunni. In order to secure the Sunni to its side, first their conscience must be awakened to the poliical urgency facing their region. Political awakening is best achieved through social movements. So while it did not plan or anticipate the recent unrest and street marches, it nonetheless played into the hands of the authorities. I say this because if Iranians can challenge the legitimacy of their leaders and do so under a supposedly tolerating atmosphere, then why couldn't the people of Egypt take to the streets and challenge the legitimacy of Mubarak, why should not the men and womenof Saudi Arabia take to the streets of Riyadh and demand their rights against the King. This is all ittakes to topple the Sunni leadership and unite the Arabs against a common front threat of the encroaching Westerners.

That motive s the reason the Mullahs and Ahmadinejadd laid back, unusualy so, and allowed the the storms to rage on their own streets in Teheran. . . in a controlled and managed manner, as opposed to a brutal and uncontrollable one they are scheming for the Sunni led countries.
Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by Afam(m): 11:35am On Jun 26, 2009
ElRazur:

More than 100 MPs appear to have snubbed an invitation to celebrate Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's election win, local press reports say.

All 290 MPs were invited to the victory party on Wednesday night but 105 did not turn up, the reports say.

I love facts.

Opinion polls before the election showed that Ahmedinejad was the preferred candidate with about 2/3.

Election proper had the same man having about 2/3.

Demonstrations concentrated in Tehran while other provinces remained largely quiet.

Now a victory party with all 290 MPs invited saw only 190 MPs attending.

So, about 2/3 of all the MPs attended the victory party.

CONCLUSION

The fact is that the 2/3 has remained consistent before, during and after the election.

Facts are facts and they don't lie.
Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by tunku(m): 11:56am On Jun 26, 2009
You love facts? Right here is some facts. The poll conducted was before the campaign got underway. By the same margin the polls before America's election got underway showed Clinton and Rudy Giulliani being the main challengers for the presidency. Iran, unlike the rest of the fools that inhabit Nigeria and much of the ME, actually has an educated populous that know when a fast one is being pulled over them. Calling this an American conspiracy once again shows the fetid nature of the minds of these supporters of crazy conspiracy theorist. Afam, perhaps you are confusing facts with fats. Even the pollster that you are quoting said that their poll is unreliable because it captured a snapshot of Iran before electioneering got underway. But if you are so convinced of the rightness of this election then by all means go to some Iranian forum and defend the state apparatus from all them foreigners rioting in the streets.
Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by Afam(m): 12:18pm On Jun 26, 2009
This is how we fail exams.

Was the 2/3 consistent before the elections based on the polls? Yes. I am certainly not interested in your explanations or conspiracy theories about the polls being wrong or electioneering being after.

The simple fact remains that 2/3 of the Iranians that took part in some (if not all) of the polls were in favor of Ahmedinejad. The polls were not meant for foreigners so keep your theories to yourself.

The election proper nko? 2/3.

Now out of the 290 MPs 2/3 attended. This simply means that 2/3 of Iranians supported Ahmedinejad.

As a matter of fact the protests and the shouts of rigging should have made even more people to oppose Ahmedinejad but here we are having 2/3 of all the MPs in Iran attending a victory party of the same people some of you claim did not win the election.

Lies will always fall like a pack of cards, anytime anyday.
Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jun 26, 2009
What Ahmadinejad is yet to explain to Iranians and the World is why a man with 63% majority is so afraid of election re-run.

Rather than have a re-run that is openly monitored, this man has chosen to use secret militiamen to maim and kill his people to accept the fraud called election.

I think President Obama has duty to humanity to stop all overtures to Ahmadinejad
The Iranian people do not accept him as their leader, the American President should not legitimise him by holding talks with him.

@Afam

Of the 290 MPs only 105 attended. Thats roughly 1/3 attending and 2/3 staying away. Also conspicously absent is the fiery hardline speaker Ali Larijani.
Besides I don't also think its accurate to suggest that a particular proportion of support from the political class means the same amount of support from the wider public.
Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jun 26, 2009
More than 180 Iranian MPs appear to have snubbed an invitation to celebrate President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's election win, local press reports say.

All 290 MPs were invited to the victory party on Wednesday night, but only 105 turned up, the reports say.

A BBC correspondent says the move is a sign of the deep split at the top of Iran after disputed presidential polls.

Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by Afam(m): 5:48pm On Jun 26, 2009
mikeansy:

What Ahmadinejad is yet to explain to Iranians and the World is why a man with 63% majority is so afraid of election re-run.

Rather than have a re-run that is openly monitored, this man has chosen to use secret militiamen to maim and kill his people to accept the fraud called election.

Wonderful, so anytime someone loses an election there must be a re-run? What's this?

mikeansy:

@Afam

Of the 290 MPs only 105 attended. Thats roughly 1/3 attending and 2/3 staying away. Also conspicously absent is the fiery hardline speaker Ali Larijani.
Besides I don't also think its accurate to suggest that a particular proportion of support from the political class means the same amount of support from the wider public.

The content in bold refers, where and when did the statement 105 did not turn up turn to 105 attended?

Considering the fact that this report made 2 clear statements as regards the number of people invited and those that did not turn up I will effortlessly throw into the trash can your own reference that seems to be almost the same thing with the original reference but with the deliberate removal of "not" in the statement "night but 105 did not turn up" just to change the meaning and the number to favor the opposition.

This is criminal mutilation of information and very shameful indeed.

If after all the protests and destruction witnessed in that country and 2/3 of the MPs attended the victory party it means one thing and one thing alone - 2/3 of Iranians wants the president to remain in power, 2/3 voted for him and the 2/3 is strong enough to sustain and handle any 1/3 that may constitute the opposition.
Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by 4Play(m): 7:00pm On Jun 26, 2009
grin grin  grin

An earlier BBC report wrongly said that 105 MPs did not turn up. It should have said that only 105 attended.

Afam want argue with the BBC

If Afam is honest, having based his claim of Ahmadinejad's supposed strong popular support on this story, he will have to admit that the facts make a mockery of him.
Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by Afam(m): 7:32pm On Jun 26, 2009
4 Play:

grin grin  grin

Afam want argue with the BBC

If Afam is honest, having based his claim of Ahmadinejad's supposed strong popular support on this story, he will have to admit that the facts make a mockery of him.

Just as Florida suddenly went to Bush after the initial forecast and results gave the state to Al Gore?

So BBC does not know the difference between 105 did not show up and 105 showed up.
Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by RichyBlacK(m): 8:00pm On Jun 26, 2009

The Iranian authorities have ordered the family of a student shot dead in Tehran to take down mourning posters as they struggle to stop her becoming the rallying point for protests against the presidential election.

Neda Salehi Agha Soltan, 26, was killed as she watched a pro-democracy protest, and mobile phone footage of her last moments have become a worldwide symbol of Iran's turmoil.

The authorities had already banned a public funeral or wake and have prevented gatherings in her name while the state-controlled media has not mentioned Miss Soltan's death.

Today it was reported that they had also told her family to take down the black mourning banners outside their home in the Tehran suburbs to prevent it becoming a place of pilgrimage. They were also told they could not hold a memorial service at a mosque.

This action by the Iranian government is one example where the state is trampling on the FHR of late Neda's family. This is most unfortunate and I strongly condemn the elements in the Iranian government that are trying to meddle into the affairs of a grieving family. They should be talking of paying the family compensation for wrongful death! angry

Those Zionists on this forum who think I will support the Iranian government on any action they take must think everyone behaves like them who sheepishly support the racist and Apartheid policies of Israel and would rather suffer bodily harm before condemning *any* action of the extremists running the show in Tel-Aviv.

My principles are based on:
1. Respect of the FHR of individuals or groups.
2. Employing all available options in fighting tyranny and oppression.

The Iranian government is imperfect and sane minds must not support actions that violate the FHR of people, no matter who is committing such atrocities.
Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by biina: 6:38am On Jun 27, 2009
Afam:

Just as Florida suddenly went to Bush after the initial forecast and results gave the state to Al Gore?

So BBC does not know the difference between 105 did not show up and 105 showed up.
The original story was carried by Etemad Melli, a newspaper belonging the party of Mehdi Karroubi, who came fourth in the elections. (http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5injZs94uZY5XeZv1d3ymbFsZA8vw)
Seems the actual wordings were a bit ambiguous leading to cnflicting interpretations of the account.
Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by ElRazur: 10:35am On Jun 27, 2009
It is interesting to see the so called "Spiritual leaders" of Iran come out with message that appears to condone and justify violence. Seriously, who says Islam and Violence are not hand in hand?

A hardline cleric close to the Iranian regime demanded the execution of leading demonstrators yesterday as the opposition ended the week in disarray.

In a televised sermon at Friday prayers in Tehran, Ayatollah Ahmad Khatami called on the judiciary to “punish leading rioters firmly and without showing any mercy to teach everyone a lesson”. He said that those leaders were backed by the United States and Israel. They should be treated as mohareb — people who wage war against God — and deserved execution.

In a clear warning to all other dissenters, he declared: “Anybody who fights against the Islamic system or the leader of Islamic society, fight him until complete destruction.”

His speech are more or less direct for all to know. Interestingly, his message do not make a distinction between those who protest peacefully and those who aren't. Instead, he appeared to label everyone of them a dissenters.

As usual Israel is dragged into this. Perhaps I missed the memo, have Israel interfered with the whole issue at hand?

It appears he is saying anyone who challenges the leaders - something very much allowed in a "democratic society" but then Iran's form of government over the past few days question if there is one in the first place - is automatically breaking the law, an enemy of God and should be executed?

The Ayatollah claimed that Neda Soltan, the woman shot during a demonstration last Saturday, had been killed by fellow protesters because “government forces do not shoot at a lady standing in a side street”.

For me it is this sort of rhetoric says a lot about their mind set, their belief system. . . What they represent.

Yet over on this forum, we appear to have a clear divide - either you kiss the butt of Iran blindingly, those who are on the opposite side, and those who sit on the fence. The last two groups, I can see where they are coming from. However, the butt-kissers are yet to make me see logical reason as to why they have a blinding support, or can even attempt to defend the indefensible stance and view of the Iran's mullah, president and spiritual leaders. Be it in stance towards her own citizen, ME Issue etc.

The full story is here

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article6583797.ece
Re: Ahmadinejad 'wins Iran Presidential Vote' as Opposition protest continue by ElRazur: 10:44am On Jun 27, 2009
Oh before the butt-kissers and conspiracy theorists claim the story is from a "Western media source" I wonder if Aljazeera would throw that thought out of the window?

A leading Iranian religious leader has called for the execution of "rioters" who have led a series of anti-government protests following the country's disputed June 12 presidential election.

Ahmad Khatami, a member of Iran's Assembly of Experts, told worshippers during a sermon at Friday prayers that Iran's judiciary should charge such rioters as "mohareb", or one who wages war against God.

Nice to see how one man plays God. A man who feels he is the judge, jury and executioner.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2009/06/2009626134653439673.html

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The F-35 Slaughtered The Competition In Its Latest Test / Breaking News: Kate Middleton Delivers Baby Girl / Kenya BANS All GMO Monsanto Foods!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.