Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,038 members, 7,970,207 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 11:25 PM

Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. - Computers (248) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. (1339545 Views)

22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC / Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. / Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) ... (1234) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jan 18, 2013
@adewasco good job...but to add to it...

or maybe i elaborate Item 1 for him more clearly.

Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

Right-click an unallocated region on your hard disk, and then click New Simple Volume.

In the New Simple Volume Wizard, click Next.

Type the size of the volume you want to create in megabytes (MB) or accept the maximum default size, and then click Next.

Accept the default drive letter or choose a different drive letter to identify the partition, and then click Next.

In the Format Partition dialog box, do one of the following:

If you don't want to format the volume right now, click Do not format this volume, and then click Next.

To format the volume with the default settings, click Next.

Review your choices, and then click Finish.

I hope this helps you in creating the new paritition
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by adewasco2k(m): 7:42pm On Jan 18, 2013
mdsocks: @adewasco good job...but to add to it...

or maybe i elaborate Item 1 for him more clearly.........
nice one from you sir
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by emmaugoh1: 10:20pm On Jan 18, 2013
wolebaba:

U have to buy the Original. No two ways to this or downgrade back to what you were using b4.
,is there no way, I can downgrade without deleting my files.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by DAVE5(m): 11:18pm On Jan 18, 2013
adewasco2k:
now if i get you well, your AC adapter and battery are not compatible? first!!! is that the original battery and charger that came with your PC? Mind you! you might be damaging your motherboard if the power adapter is outputting incorrect voltage, so your PC shuts down to prevent damages.
so try this.
1. Try using a known working power adapter, you can borrow one to troubleshoot, but make sure its same voltage with yours.
2. Try a known working battery on it to.
3. Try to reduce the performance and brightness of your PC or probably disable the graphic card and see.
If problem persist, i suspect a board problem.

Wait for my colleagues to comment @Deji2009 @Adetwin @all4naija and co

10x 4 d response
d charger and battery are d ones dat came with d system, its an asus laptop mini so d charger or battery is very hard to find around esp as it is dat i am currently in kebbi,i hardly see pple wit system talk more of an asus product
I bought brand n it was workin perfectly until d ram gave me some problem,so i gave a repairer to help me change d ram which he did,n since den its bin misbehavin,
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by earthgreeners(m): 12:12am On Jan 19, 2013
@all, where can I buy an original charger for my Dell inspiron 1520 in Lagos...I would like to also know the price range for the brand new and fairly used charger....ORIGINAL
Thanks alot
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by adewasco2k(m): 12:34am On Jan 19, 2013
D.A.V.E:

10x 4 d response
d charger and battery are d ones dat came with d system, its an asus laptop mini so d charger or battery is very hard to find around esp as it is dat i am currently in kebbi,i hardly see pple wit system talk more of an asus product
I bought brand n it was workin perfectly until d ram gave me some problem,so i gave a repairer to help me change d ram which he did,n since den its bin misbehavin,
come to think of it, it might not be power problem but rather temperature problem as computers tends to generate more heat when on high performance plugged into AC.
try to see if the fan works well and notice its sound, as earlier mentioned, reduce the brightness and performance on it and see if it still goes off, then you sure know what is actually wrong.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by wolebaba(m): 6:21am On Jan 19, 2013
earthgreeners: @all, where can I buy an original charger for my Dell inspiron 1520 in Lagos...I would like to also know the price range for the brand new and fairly used charger....ORIGINAL
Thanks alot

Computer Village......U can get anytin from there. New charger is not more than 5k same as fairly used. I don't have the specifics.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by wolebaba(m): 6:25am On Jan 19, 2013
earthgreeners: @all, where can I buy an original charger for my Dell inspiron 1520 in Lagos...I would like to also know the price range for the brand new and fairly used charger....ORIGINAL
Thanks alot

Computer Village......U can get anytin from there. New charger is not more than 5k same as fairly used. I don't have the specifics.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by wolebaba(m): 6:38am On Jan 19, 2013
adewasco2k:
now if i get you well, your AC adapter and battery are not compatible? first!!! is that the original battery and charger that came with your PC? Mind you! you might be damaging your motherboard if the power adapter is outputting incorrect voltage, so your PC shuts down to prevent damages.
so try this.
1. Try using a known working power adapter, you can borrow one to troubleshoot, but make sure its same voltage with yours.
3. Try to reduce the performance and brightness of your PC or probably disable the graphic card and see.

You are actually correct. He should carry out the troubleshoot 1st den we can proceed from the outcome. I also suspect that the battery could be damaged.

1 Like

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by wolebaba(m): 6:51am On Jan 19, 2013
adewasco2k:
i will give you a shallow guide believe you are savvy enough to catch...in case of any further question, just come back here.

1. Create a New Partition from the Windows 7 Hard Disk Drive (you will shrink your hard disk from disk management, then create new partition)but i will advice you read up windows XP and 7 minimum requirements, you will not have problem if you have enough disk space.

2. After creating a partition take note of the name, then install windows XP on that partition with a genuine CD (you will be asked to select a partition to install it to in the process)

3. After installation you wouldn't be able to logon to windows 7 just yet, so on your newly installed windows XP install the .NET Framework 2.0 and the you need a program to repair the boot file of your windows 7 its called EasyBCD its a freeware which can be downloaded here
install the .NET Framework first to be able to download the EasyBCD, so run the EasyBCD that will help to repair the Windows 7 boot file and add XP to the Windows Boot Manager list.

4. On the EasyBCD On the left side, click on the Add New Entry button,
-In the top section under Operating Systems, click on the Windows tab
-To the right of Type, select Windows NT/2k/XP/2k3 from the drop down menu.
-To the right of Name, you can leave the default Microsoft Windows XP as the name to be displayed in the Windows Boot Manager, or you can type whatever name you would like to have instead.
-Click on the Add Entry button
-On the left side of EasyBCD, click on the BCD Deployment button, select (dot) the Install the Windows Vista/7 bootloader to the MBR option, and click on the Write MBR button.

5. restart and you will have option to select which OS to boot into

Okay i know you might be scared of the steps, its easy when you are on it that as stated.

I hope some other gurus in the house can help drop a simpler step to follow, this are the steps i also follow when doing that and i have never stumble on any problem so far.

NB for the EasyBCD software, at the bottom of the site you will see registration for free users (non-commercial purpose)

Configuring your Pc for Multi-booting is not for non-techies. You can actually damage your Win7 installation If you don't get it right.

Follow the above steps religiously and U will be fine.

N.B: Ensure that you backup your PC before starting. Also ensure that you do not tamper with your recovery partition.

This may be your key to getting back to normal life if things get outta hand.

Cheers
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Jameel263: 6:57am On Jan 19, 2013
Hello,plz people in the house plz help me solve this.But u should be sorry for my poor expression of terms.My toshiba NB505,Windows 7 is being formated for a virus infection.Initially my maximum display is 1024*768 but now the maximum is only 800*600.Secondly,the games that I usually played cannot be played now rather showing something like “u don‘t hav hardware graphic media installed“ or something lyk dat.Thirdly,now there is no “sleep“ button in my shutdown options.I will be glad and thankfull as u response.thanks
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by adewasco2k(m): 7:55am On Jan 19, 2013
Jameel263: Hello,plz people in the house plz help me solve this.But u should be sorry for my poor expression of terms.My toshiba NB505,Windows 7 is being formated for a virus infection.Initially my maximum display is 1024*768 but now the maximum is only 800*600.Secondly,the games that I usually played cannot be played now rather showing something like “u don‘t hav hardware graphic media installed“ or something lyk dat.Thirdly,now there is no “sleep“ button in my shutdown options.I will be glad and thankfull as u response.thanks
simply put: you dont have a graphic driver installed, goto control panel then click device manager, which icons are marked yellow?

the marked yellow are the missing drivers, but for the problem you stated above its your display driver that is missing, download it here http://www.toshibamea.com/en/Download-Files1
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Kaysalas(m): 8:43am On Jan 19, 2013
hi guys, pls my laptop charger got burnt while charging with my gen. Last night, i need another one. Kindly send a mail to kaysalas at yahoo dot com if you have one for sale it is a hp laptop
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by adewasco2k(m): 10:25am On Jan 19, 2013
Kaysalas: hi guys, pls my laptop charger got burnt while charging with my gen. Last night, i need another one. Kindly send a mail to kaysalas at yahoo dot com if you have one for sale it is a hp laptop
if somebody has one for sale you have to specify the laptop model hp got different adapters.
i dont have to sell just saying though

1 Like

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by earthgreeners(m): 10:36am On Jan 19, 2013
wolebaba: Computer Village......U can get anytin from there. New charger is not more than 5k same as fairly used. I don't have the specifics.

@wolebaba, u are too gbaski,
can u please recommend a place @ computer village where I can get original...either new or fairly used charger (Dell inspiron 1520)...
Thanks alot
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jan 19, 2013
Try chumec at computer village,they are opposite zenith bank pepple street,c.v, ikeja. Just ask for gloria. Cant post her number here.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by topsco(m): 3:25pm On Jan 19, 2013
Pls,My windows 7 says 'MTP DEVICES DRIVER was not successfully installed'...whenever i connect my C5 to my system using USB.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 3:32pm On Jan 19, 2013
adewasco2k:
come to think of it, it might not be power problem but rather temperature problem as computers tends to generate more heat when on high performance plugged into AC.
try to see if the fan works well and notice its sound, as earlier mentioned, reduce the brightness and performance on it and see if it still goes off, then you sure know what is actually wrong.

wolebaba:

You are actually correct. He should carry out the troubleshoot 1st den we can proceed from the outcome. I also suspect that the battery could be damaged.

adewasco2k:
so try this.

What's the full model number e.g. acer 5315 Widow xp or vista.

If you go to display properties, select the screen saver tab,
then click the power button, in the power schemes field is a drop
down window, click on it and select Rixane Power Scheme, it is a power
switching utility that quickly switches between AC and Battery when
the power cable/charger is plugged in or unplugged while the laptop is on.
If you have it set to always on it will shut off when you pull the power cord,
even if the battery is charged. This will also happen on many non-HP laptops,
if you don't have a HP laptop or there is not a Rixane option available, select
the Portable/Laptop power scheme. Hope this helps!

1 Like

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 3:55pm On Jan 19, 2013
topsco: Pls,My windows 7 says 'MTP DEVICES DRIVER was not successfully installed'...whenever i connect my C5 to my system using USB.

Seems you're connecting a Samsung/Nokia mobile/Blackberry phhone.
We need to know which one you're connecting.perhaps due to
corrupt suite or ova
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by biggiesoft(m): 4:10pm On Jan 19, 2013
pls i jex upgraded my system 4rm vista 2 seven ultimate by 4matin d vista cmpltly...afta diz i installed football manager..now when i play d game it often hangs then shows me a blue screen then restarts...pls i nid help
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 4:28pm On Jan 19, 2013
biggiesoft: pls i jex upgraded my system 4rm vista 2 seven ultimate by 4matin d vista cmpltly...afta diz i installed football manager..now when i play d game it often hangs then shows me a blue screen then restarts...pls i nid help

click start, all programs, accessories and click run press.
A box would appear type inside devmgmt.msc press enter
and continue Yes. you should have some yellow signs in there.
if you do visit the laptop manuf'r website and make sure you
download the correct the driver for your laptop.

Look for your laptop makde and model number

e.g. toshiba p300-20h.if unsure get back to us
Also is the game compatible with the Windows 7 .

Window 7 upgrade advisor will tell you if it is.
In the future always consult peoplein know
before you do something to your laptop.

also bring the run box up again and type in desk.cpl
press enter is the display by 800*600.

Unsure, ask questions so you can be guided

i want you to

1st use the opport...to save all your data before anything happens

In the meanshile restart the laptop and immediately keep pressing
f8 and select disable auto restart on system failure so next you
restart the blue screen should stay on so you can read the error
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by biggiesoft(m): 5:09pm On Jan 19, 2013
deji2009:

click start, all programs, accessories and click run press.
A box would appear type inside devmgmt.msc press enter
and continue Yes. you should have some yellow signs in there.
if you do visit the laptop manuf'r website and make sure you
download the correct the driver for your laptop.

Look for your laptop makde and model number

e.g. toshiba p300-20h.if unsure get back to us
Also is the game compatible with the Windows 7 .

Window 7 upgrade advisor will tell you if it is.
In the future always consult peoplein know
before you do something to your laptop.

also bring the run box up again and type in desk.cpl
press enter is the display by 800*600.

Unsure, ask questions so you can be guided

i want you to

1st use the opport...to save all your data before anything happens

In the meanshile restart the laptop and immediately keep pressing
f8 and select disable auto restart on system failure so next you
restart the blue screen should stay on so you can read the error
m xo xo grateful fnkz.
v chekd device managa stuf nd i cnt fynd any yelo indictnz.. d batri iz low naw...buh i wil v powerd it in d nite lyka 8...mayb we cn work 2geda beta...u gonna b fwi?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by topsco(m): 6:36pm On Jan 19, 2013
deji2009:

Seems you're connecting a Samsung/Nokia mobile/Blackberry phhone.
We need to know which one you're connecting.perhaps due to
corrupt suite or ova

Nokia C5-00
thanx.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by flama(m): 7:45pm On Jan 19, 2013
deji2009:

Turn off the computer
and wait five seconds.
Turn on the computer
and immediately press
the F10 key repeatedly
until a BIOS Setup
screen opens.

If nothing happens,
press the F1 key repeatedly.

Go to either boot sequence/boot order
and look for hdd its self explanatory
you shouldn't have a problem. use the
key on the screen to move the hard drive
so that the hard drive is 1st, cd/dvd 2nd the rest
doesn't matter. press f10 to save and exit then see.

If no joy make sure no camera, ipod,
iphone, usb or any other device
attached to your laptop.
if there is remove it please and see.

If no joy restart again pressing f8 go for
repair your computer and follow instructions

If after following the instr...still no joy

If you bought the laptop new, I blamed you that
you didn't create a set of rescue recovery DVD for the
unexpected
Your Hp laptop comes with a built in recovery
to bail out.however this option is a last resort. if thats the
case we are smiling. all you need is an external hard drive
say 50gb depending on how much data you have.though we cannot
boot to the computer but hp laptops do offer data backup before
we use the inbuilt recovery to remaster the laptop to factory settings.
Recvoery is the last resort to the problem.if you can hold of boot disk
that can match your O/S say Win 7,Vista etc then we can run some automatic repairs.

If still no joy make sure yuou have enough
battery power or just connect charger and
restart go back to bios f10 and go to
diagnostics and run either the short or long
hard drive test, preferably I would like you
to run the long one if the option is available.
fif not just run the one it got and should report
failed or pass

At anytime pls get back to us one of my colleague would
be able to take over incase am offline
thanks boss, but i've tried all the above prescription, no good result, i run the hdd test, what i got is : hard disk quick 1 (303). And i don't this msg. Pls help me out sir.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 7:56pm On Jan 19, 2013
biggiesoft: .
m xo xo grateful fnkz.
v chekd device managa stuf nd i cnt fynd any yelo indictnz.. d batri iz low naw...buh i wil v powerd it in d nite lyka 8...mayb we cn work 2geda beta...u gonna b fwi?

Read the previous message carefully, if it take me time to type with my fingers, why shoudnt you ?
follow all the instruction. e.g. where i asked you to f8 and disable auto restart on system failure
read the message carefully. Also I dont understand your reply please write it clearly.its confusing me
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 7:59pm On Jan 19, 2013
flama: thanks boss, but i've tried all the above prescription, no good result, i run the hdd test, what i got is : hard disk quick 1 (303). And i don't this msg. Pls help me out sir.

okay goo that you've ran thd hd test and its faild.
do you have any data to backup ? if you do you can use
the f11 on start up recovery manager and select the option
to backup date to external device and then you replace the hard drive

The 303 error would indicate that your Hard Drive is failing a
nd will need to be replaced - this is also consistent with the
start-up issues you describe. Take it to a shop for a replacement
hard drive
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 8:05pm On Jan 19, 2013
topsco: Pls,My windows 7 says 'MTP DEVICES DRIVER was not successfully installed'...whenever i connect my C5 to my system using USB.

Have you tried going into the device manager and looking for any yellow marked items?
Something similar was seen with win7/vista as well with usb drives.

Either right clicking to uninstall followed by a full restart
or to have Windows perform an automatic search won't always work.
A manual search by selecting the device from the list of devices
will often see Windows install the correct generic driver where
you end up with Windows has successfully installed your new hardware
type message.I recokon is either the nokia suite or ova am off to work so
maybe someone else will advice you if you get stuck
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by biggiesoft(m): 8:46pm On Jan 19, 2013
deji2009:

Read the previous message carefully, if it take me time to type with my fingers, why shoudnt you ?
follow all the instruction. e.g. where i asked you to f8 and disable auto restart on system failure
read the message carefully. Also I dont understand your reply please write it clearly.its confusing me
i jex ran d compatibility stuf nd it says nt compatible...it askd me 4 d earlier version d game worked with...i startd d program nd afta everyfn it sed nt compatible
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by flama(m): 9:12pm On Jan 19, 2013
deji2009:

hard drive
thanks boss, but i noticed one thing when i tried this option that u gave, ''''''Go to either boot sequence/boot order
and look for hdd its self explanatory
you shouldn't have a problem. use the
key on the screen to move the hard drive
so that the hard drive is 1st, cd/dvd 2nd the rest
doesn't matter.''''' I can't find the hard on the list, i only saw cd, cd rom and some other options, does that mean the hard disk is totally down or maybe there is something else that can be done, coz the recovery manager is not also working.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jan 19, 2013
biggiesoft: .
i jex ran d compatibility stuf nd it says nt compatible...it askd me 4 d earlier version d game worked with...i startd d program nd afta everyfn it sed nt compatible
Dude you seem to complicate the issue. There is no single way to troubleshoot a computer problem and you must learn how to follow instructions. If it didn't work then kindly explain what you have carried out and let the person providing you with information know the problem clearly. Computer problems are like Doctor-and-patient cases. The patient must be willing to tell the doctor what he or she has experienced after prescription so that the doctor can know the next step to take.

However, there are two solutions to your problem and there is no guarantee it might solve your problem if you are not willing to pay attention.

1. Either you do a system restore to when the game was working fine.

2. Or uninstall the game from your computer and remove every associated file and folder from the Programs in your C driver. Clean your registry with ccleaner and restart the system. Run the game on compatibility mode. On to how to run program on compatibility mode visit this link
: http://all4naija..com/search?updated-max=2013-01-06T07:05:00-08:00&max-results=1&start=4&by-date=false . After that to start the program you will have to run it as administrator(very important because due to elevated permission).

I hope that will solve the issue.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by topsco(m): 12:23am On Jan 20, 2013
deji2009:

Have you tried going into the device manager and looking for any yellow marked items?
Something similar was seen with win7/vista as well with usb drives.

Either right clicking to uninstall followed by a full restart
i have done dat b4 no change

deji2009:

or to have Windows perform an automatic search won't always work.
yeah not working

deji2009:

A manual search by selecting the device from the list of devices
will often see Windows install the correct generic driver where
you end up with Windows has successfully installed your new hardware
type message.
Not working either

deji2009:

recokon is either the nokia suite or ova am off to work so
maybe someone else will advice you if you get stuck
Thanx joor...but dat windows just stubborn,still no show.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by flama(m): 1:40am On Jan 20, 2013
deji2009:

hard drive

(1) (2) (3) ... (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) ... (1234) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.