Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,223 members, 7,880,822 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 07:31 AM

Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) (47539 Views)

World Likely To End On September 23, As Experts Match Great Pyramid, Bible Dates / Dates For Easter In The Past And Coming 20 Years / What Is Easter Sunday? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by Nitefury: 1:49pm On Mar 27, 2016
Because the Catholic Church tells the world when to celebrate it..

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by morganist99(m): 1:49pm On Mar 27, 2016
Easter is calculated as the first Sunday after the paschal full moon that occurs on or after the vernal equinox. If the full moon falls on a Sunday, then Easter is the following Sunday. The holiday can occur anywhere between March 22 and April 25.

5 Likes

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by White007(m): 1:49pm On Mar 27, 2016
undecided
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by Jexyme(f): 1:50pm On Mar 27, 2016
bloodyBLOGGER:
check the picture below

To find answer to your question please study the Gregorian calender based on the following subtopics:
1.Definition
2.History
3.Heroes of research(I.e. People involved inthe work)
4. Harmonization of all cultural calenders
5.Holidays and festive breaks
6.Merits and demerits
7. Position of christianity as regards Gregorian calender.

This may take you years to round-up the study. So, why don't you just celebrate easter and leave the rest to theologians

Thank You!!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by Nobody: 1:50pm On Mar 27, 2016
Jesus Christ was cruxified on April 3, 33 AD. Geological history captures the earthquake that happened on that day.

It is celebrated on different days based on jewish passover festival calendar requirement in alignment with our gregorian sunday based calendar

5 Likes

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by ddaammyy(f): 1:50pm On Mar 27, 2016
Well I don't know o! All I know is "HAPPY EASTER!" grin cos he has RISEN!

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by KoloOyinbo(m): 1:52pm On Mar 27, 2016
As some simple research will reveal the answer is straightforward and historical.

Christians in far away lands needed to know when to celebrate easter each year.

They could not await letters or messages as they were not sure to recieve such in good time or even at all.

They needed some even in the sky that all could see and so turned to the astronomers (note -not astrologers).

Now in almost every society, civil events are based on a Solar Calendar BUT religious events on a Lunar Calendar.

Given the above Easter was chosen as the first Sunday, after the first full moon, after the vernal equinox.

Nowadays of course we can predict the date millions of years ahead should we choose to but why change a wonderful tradition.

As a small and semi relevant aside - lets be carful not to confuse the science of astronomy with the silly superstition of trying to magically predict the future by positions of the planets called astrology. That was shown to be rubbish many hundreds of years ago.
Astronomy = science, proveable and known.
Astrology = uneducated superstition belonging in the same category as juju, magic, mami waters etc.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by tpiar: 1:53pm On Mar 27, 2016
Its just so some people can display their foolishness.
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by whitecloth: 1:54pm On Mar 27, 2016
Muafrika2:

Where are they based? I suppose it's a specific group dealing with the calendar.
I don't know where they are based o, they are the specific group dealing with the calender or possibly among those who deals in calendar and date fixing.
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by Sanchez01: 1:54pm On Mar 27, 2016
Sasuwa:
Because it is manmade, ask femi aribisala
It is obviously man made. There was no charge on the celebration in the scripture.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by AishaCole: 1:55pm On Mar 27, 2016
Easter Sunday is chosen by a fairly simple formula: It's the first Sunday after the first full moon after the first day of spring.

So it is solar and lunar thing. Spring is when the sun is halfway from its winter low to its summer high and the day and night are the same length, 12 hours. The full moon happens 13 times a year. So you put the two together and then wait for a Sunday.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by ebosed: 1:57pm On Mar 27, 2016
Jewish holidays actually occur on the same day every year: the same day on the Jewish calendar! The Jewish calendar has a different number of days than the calendar you use because the Jewish calendar is tied to the moon's cycles instead of the sun's. The Jewish calendar loses about 11 days relative to the solar calendar every year, but makes up for it by adding a month every two or three years. As a result, the holidays don't always fall on the same day, but they always fall within the same month or two. The Chinese calendar (which is also lunar) works the same way, which is why Chinese New Year occurs on different days but is always in late January or early February. The Muslim calendar is lunar but does not add months, which is why Ramadan circles the calendar.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by remigiusizunna(m): 1:58pm On Mar 27, 2016
I think its allways fixed in line with the church's calendar
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by Sunofgod(m): 1:59pm On Mar 27, 2016
Easter Sunday always falls on the first sunday after the first full moon after the spring solstice which is fixed to the 21st March.

Its a pagan tradition that goes back thousands of years and like most mainstream religions is linked to sun worship.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by Nobody: 1:59pm On Mar 27, 2016
sonOfLucifer:
No one knows when he was born, killed. Resurrected. We just make.things up and everybody follows. What matters is the celebration.
Good to know you celebrate Jesus

1 Like

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by SHAIBULIAR: 2:00pm On Mar 27, 2016
Who cares so far rice soup and chicken no change
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by Nobody: 2:01pm On Mar 27, 2016
Angelberry:
Good to know you celebrate Jesus
Yeah, cute Jew. Just fell into the wrong hands. Guess that was part of the mission.
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by vislabraye(m): 2:01pm On Mar 27, 2016
bloodyBLOGGER:
check the picture below

Jewish calender.
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by Shokudo(m): 2:02pm On Mar 27, 2016
charix:
One of the things I've noticed and never cared to ask but pitching my tent here to find out.

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by Remii(m): 2:02pm On Mar 27, 2016
Easter falls on the first Sunday following the first full moon after the vernal equinox. If the first full moon occurs on the equinox, Easter is the following Sunday. Thus, Easter can fall anywhere between March 22 and April 25.
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by Guliver(m): 2:02pm On Mar 27, 2016
I don't care about d date.all I nid s for d days 2 spin fast so I can sell my poultry fast.easter tank you ,money enter hand.
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by Nobody: 2:04pm On Mar 27, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

Yeah, cute Jew. Just fell into the wrong hands. Guess that was part of the mission.
Mind explaining to me, I said that cos of ya moniker.
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by phanshark(m): 2:04pm On Mar 27, 2016
bloodyBLOGGER:
check the picture below
it has to do with a particular moon that normally appears around late march to third week of April,that's why the date fluctuate. Just like the Muslim month of Ramadan
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by Nobody: 2:05pm On Mar 27, 2016
where is sukkot?
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by korexdodo(m): 2:05pm On Mar 27, 2016
Guy go find chicken chop, leave mumu talk for another day!
Akosxxx:
Another Evidence to show that JESUS wasn't actually crucified.

Yea thats right, quote me if you like but surely i ain't replying any mentions

1 Like

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by Nobody: 2:05pm On Mar 27, 2016
Angelberry:
Mind explaining to me, I said that cos of ya moniker.
https://www.nairaland.com/2989687/how-jesus-died-sins-road
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by victorazy(m): 2:06pm On Mar 27, 2016
Giyerte:
That is what you see when you don't bother to query your faith.

What is there to query? What is then faith when u querry it condiments?

Faith is believing what eyes cannot see.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by gurunlocker: 2:12pm On Mar 27, 2016
why is January 1 falling on different days?
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by 41lady(m): 2:14pm On Mar 27, 2016
Akosxxx:
Another Evidence to show that JESUS wasn't actually crucified.

Yea thats right, quote me if you like but surely i ain't replying any mentions
If HE is not crucified, the romans who kill him will not do the calendar to calculate easter (i.e. there won't be easter in the history of man kind)
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by nextstep(m): 2:17pm On Mar 27, 2016
From Wikipedia, and also from my vague recollection: it is the first Sunday after the first full moon of the Spring Season. As the moon's orbit around Earth (traditional month) does not coincide with the Earth's orbit around the Sun (year), there can be up to twenty-something days' difference between the full moon and the first day of Spring.

"When is the first day of Spring?" you ask. Why that is in turned defined by the March equinox when the Sun appears to leave the southern hemisphere and cross the celestial equator.

This is of course as seen from countries in the Northern hemisphere, and is harder to observe for those of us close to the Equator, and makes little sense for those in the southern hemisphere.

Traditionally, Passover was related to the full moon and Spring, etc... and since nobody thought to record the actual date (I joke; our modern calendar did not exist then), the best we can do is shift the weekend of Christ's death and resurrection to always be one weekend after Passover.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by NaijaEfcc: 2:19pm On Mar 27, 2016
if you ask me na who I go ask?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by sukkot: 2:24pm On Mar 27, 2016
Joavid:
where is sukkot?
Top of the morning to you darling

well easter has to be on different dates because it is calculated as thus >>> its the first sunday after the first full moon after the march equinox ( which the march equinox was 20th march and the first full moon after the march equinox was march 23rd ), and this is that sunday > march the 27th

POINT BEING IT IS A WANDERING HOLIDAY ( MEANING ITS NOT FIXED TO A DATE BUT IS DEPENDENT ON ASTROLOGICAL POSITIONS AND ALIGNMENTS )

POINT BEING THERE WAS NO HUMAN BEING NAMED JESUS CHRIST WHO WAS CRUCIFIED AND KILLED AND RESSURECTED. THESE ARE ALL SYMBOLIC AND ALLEGORICAL HOLIDAYS TO MARK CERTAIN WORLD EVENTS DURING THE BYZANTINE ERA BEFORE THE EUROPEAN RENNAISANCE
wink

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Apostle Kenneth Kenny Kills A Dog, Eats It Raw In Church And Feeds Members / Apostle Arome Osayi Reconciles With His 'Son' Apostle Orokpo Michael / I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.