Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,211 members, 7,880,774 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 06:36 AM

Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) (47535 Views)

World Likely To End On September 23, As Experts Match Great Pyramid, Bible Dates / Dates For Easter In The Past And Coming 20 Years / What Is Easter Sunday? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by Nobody: 6:04pm On Mar 27, 2016
KoloOyinbo:

Why are you equating the name of a CELEBRATION with the names of imaginary gods? Is it because they sound vaguely similar to a few people?

This post is really faaaar out! Lol
I was simply responding to someone's comment. Not commenting on the thread. However, let me throw in a few points

The celebration of Easter is not based on the Bible. If you look into its history, though, you will see the true meaning of Easter—it is a tradition based on ancient fertility rites. Consider the following.

Name: The Encyclopædia Britannica says: “The English name Easter is of uncertain origin; the Anglo-Saxon priest Venerable Bede in the 8th century derived it from the Anglo-Saxon spring goddess Eostre.” Others link it to Astarte, the Phoenician fertility goddess who had the Babylonian counterpart Ishtar.

Hares, rabbits: These are symbols of fertility “handed down from the ancient ceremonial and symbolism of European and Middle Eastern pagan spring festivals.”—Encyclopædia Britannica.

Eggs: According to Funk & Wagnalls Standard Dictionary of Folklore, Mythology and Legend, the hunt for Easter eggs, supposedly brought by the Easter rabbit, “is not mere child’s play, but the vestige of a fertility rite.” Some cultures believed that the decorated Easter egg “could magically bring happiness, prosperity, health, and protection.”—Traditional Festivals.

The American Book of Days well describes the origin of Easter: “There is no doubt that the Church in its early days adopted the old pagan customs and gave a Christian meaning to them.”

In the book The Two Babylons, by Alexander Hislop, we read: “What means the term Easter itself? It is not a Christian name. It bears its Chaldean origin on its very forehead. Easter is nothing else than Astarte, one of the titles of Beltis, the queen of heaven, whose name, . . . as found by Layard on the Assyrian monuments, is Ishtar. . . . Such is the history of Easter. The popular observances that still attend the period of its celebration amply confirm the testimony of history as to its Babylonian character. The hot cross buns of Good Friday, and the dyed eggs of Pasch or Easter Sunday, figured in the Chaldean rites just as they do now.”—(New York, 1943), pp. 103, 107, 108;

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by fxstory(m): 6:05pm On Mar 27, 2016
mmm
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by Netexpert(m): 6:06pm On Mar 27, 2016
But I learnt some time ago that Easter is patterned after the Jewish calendar. It is celebrated after the Jewish pass over on the Jewish month Nissan 14.
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by Nobody: 6:08pm On Mar 27, 2016
Hehehehe.... Can't stop laughing at all these comments
Kolooyibo just murdering niggas for breakfast
Sukkot playing it safe and civil despite all the bashing
Vanpascore really enlightening so far

I can see all of you trying to make sense out of the whole celebration based on what you know or what you were told. So please feel free to learn from one another and donot be dogmatic, rather be pragmatic, no one really knows it all because as a matter of fact we were not there when Christ died, the story was historically passed down to our generation

1 Like

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by Nobody: 6:14pm On Mar 27, 2016
FredN:
Jesus Christ was cruxified on April 3, 33 AD. Geological history captures the earthquake that happened on that day.

It is celebrated on different days based on jewish passover festival calendar requirement in alignment with our gregorian sunday based calendar
christ came through the jewish leanage.why do rome and gregorian now become determinant
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by Sanchez01: 6:16pm On Mar 27, 2016
MKO4ever:

Remember that Jesus was very clear about the 3 days and 3 nights. Not just three days
That of Jonah was only an illustration cited by Christ. While we may get carried away by "three nights", the practice and observation of their calendar does not necessarily include the night as half a day is also the same as a day. My earlier post mentions this. However, for the sake of emphasis on whether or not the day is half or totally "complete" by the inclusion of "night" has been one long old unconscious utterance that was spoken of. For example, the forty days and forty nights goes further to prove this. The question here is not whether it was a full day or not that he died. Remember a lot took place before His death. The trial with the people and Pontius Pilate, the flogging and then carrying the cross to Golgotha where he was crucified. All these didn't happen just at the ninth hour, it started at the Dawn of the day He died. Remember He was captured the night before while with His disciples and immediately after the encounter of the transfiguration. It is still there days.
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by jurjur: 6:17pm On Mar 27, 2016
pet4ril:
I have been thinking too...
A Jehovah witness ones engaged me in the talk but i told them I wasn't interested. Ever since then, this question has already been in my mind.
Please i would like someone to educate me on it

Y not call on dem for clearification wen ever u ce dem? I'm overly sure dey will b very eager to show u d truth from d bible.
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by akpaniko001: 6:17pm On Mar 27, 2016
Jesus asked that his followers celebrate a remembrance of his death. Luke 22:19. He instituted the celebration on Nisan 14 33CE (Nisan is the first month of the Jewish calendar). In obedience to Jesus clear instruction, true Christians celebrate the memorial of his death on the DATE that corresponds to Nisan 14 (usually falls between late March and early April in our Gregorian calendar thus not a fixed date).
Easter however is a pagan celebration adopted by Christendom to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus (Google is your friend). The date is always on the Friday-Monday of the week of Nisan 14.
Sadly, some people say it really doesn't matter. The bible says: "make sure of all things, hold on to what is acceptable to the lord"-Ephesians 5:10

1 Like

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by Jaraworldsms(m): 6:35pm On Mar 27, 2016
In some hours Christians
around the world would be
celebrating Easter, which is a
celebration of the resurrection
of Jesus Christ.
It is arguably one of the most
important date on the
religious calendar. Easter
marks the end of Lent, a 40-
day period of fasting and
reflection. The day holds the
promise of victory over death,
a new life and the forgiveness
of sins.
Easter is also commemorates
the death of Jesus Christ. It is
greatly influenced by the
Christian faith as it reminds
believers to remember the last
sacrifice of the Son of God.
Here are six facts about the
Easter you probably never
knew about:
READ ALSO: 5 places to visit
this Easter
1. There’s more than one
theory about where Easter got
its name.
The word Easter has been
linked to Eostre, an Anglo-
Saxon goddess of spring and
new life. Other scholars
trace the name of the holiday
to the Latin phrase
“hebdomada alba,” which
means “white week.”
According to tradition, new
Christians were baptized into
the faith on Easter while
wearing white clothes. The
phrase evolved into
“eostarum” in Old High
German, becoming “Ostern” in
modern German and “Easter”
in English.
But in many other languages,
the word for Easter is still
deeply tied to Passover, the
festival that celebrates the
exodus of the Jews from
Egypt. Jesus was crucified
soon after he arrived in
Jerusalem to celebrate the
Passover feast.
2. Easter has always been tied
to the moon.
Since the Jewish calendar is
based on lunar cycles,
Passover falls on 14 Nisan,
the 14th day of the first full
moon of spring. Christians in
Asia Minor used to remember
the crucifixion on the 14
Nisan, and celebrate the
resurrection on 16 Nisan. But
this meant that Easter could
fall on any day of the week.
On the other hand, Christians
in the West celebrated Easter
on the first Sunday after 14
Nisan.
In 325, the Roman Emperor
Constantine I gathered
bishops from around his
empire at the Council of
Nicaea to hammer out a
solution to this and other
debates raging in the early
church. The council decided
that Easter would be observed
on the first Sunday following
the first full moon after the
spring equinox.
3. Easter falls on a different
date each year
Technically, Easter falls on
the first Sunday after the full
Moon after the Vernal
Equinox. The worship of Attis
and Cybele was very popular
in Rome as late as the 3rd
century. Attis was a soter, or
savior, god who was reborn
each year. This resurrection
was celebrated beginning on
the Friday after the full moon
after the Vernal equinox (now
Good Friday). It culminated
on the following Sunday three
days later. Since they were
rivals, Christianity adopted
the date for their soter and,
once the Cybele cult faded,
Christians had to keep the
date since that was when
everybody was used to
celebrating the holiday.
4. Easter eggs
The egg has always been a
symbol of fertility, creation
and rebirth. Many ancient
cultures’ creation myths
involved the earth being
hatched from an egg. Though
other societies may not have
had such a creation myth,
they still held the egg as a
symbol of new life.
The ancient Persians and
Egyptians exchanged colored
eggs, usually red, in honor of
spring. The Greeks and
Romans adopted the custom,
enlarging the color palette. In
Medieval Europe, eggs were
forbidden during Lent. This
made eggs very popular at
Easter.
READ ALSO: Easter: 5 things
Nigerian Catholics can relate
5. The celebration of Eostre
gave birth to the Easter Bunny
These early pagan customs
also established the iconic
myth of the Easter Bunny.
These early people
worshipped rabbits as god-
like creatures because of their
ability to mate and reproduce
in astounding abundance. The
Celtic Eostre, however, came
with a legend that their god
would turn into a giant rabbit
at the rise of each full moon.
Both of these views made this
deity the fertility symbol of
their respective faiths.
6. Easter originally had
nothing to do with
Christianity
Instead, it was a pagan
celebration of spring and the
rebirth of life after the cold
winter months where only
beards grew.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by sukkot: 6:51pm On Mar 27, 2016
KoloOyinbo:

All Calendars are man made!

except the luna calendar. the luna calendar is dependent on astrological alignments and not mans impositions. so it is celestial as opposed to terrestrial. its dependent on the appearance of the new moon
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by KoloOyinbo(m): 6:56pm On Mar 27, 2016
sukkot:
except the luna calendar. the luna calendar is dependent on astrological alignments and not mans impositions. so it is celestial as opposed to terrestrial

Lunar calendars are based on the astronomical (please dont link with the superstition of astrology) motions of the moon. Solar on the astronomical motions of the Sun. Both require extra time added in as the lunar cycle is not an even number of days nor is the Solar year. As a result man adds extra time - a process called ' intercalation'. So ALL calendars are man made even though we base then on motions of astronomical bodies like the Sun and Moon.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by sukkot: 6:56pm On Mar 27, 2016
sammydemperor:
Hehehehe.... Can't stop laughing at all these comments
Kolooyibo just murdering niggas for breakfast
Sukkot playing it safe and civil despite all the bashing
Vanpascore really enlightening so far

I can see all of you trying to make sense out of the whole celebration based on what you know or what you were told. So please feel free to learn from one another and donot be dogmatic, rather be pragmatic, no one really knows it all because as a matter of fact we were not there when Christ died, the story was historically passed down to our generation
really ? or are you just a black man with inferiority complex ? you the type to serve a white man before you serve a nigga. you the type to arrest a black man who gets slapped by a white man in nigeria if you are a police

where is the murdering ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by Nobody: 7:07pm On Mar 27, 2016
sukkot:
really ? or are you just a black man with inferiority complex ? you the type to serve a white man before you serve a nigga. you the type to arrest a black man who gets slapped by a white man in nigeria if you are a police

where is the murdering ?
Nigga please!!!
What's your stress
If you cannot decode a message don't quote me, you obviously got the wrong context out of the message, like wheres your sense of humor

I have worked with white people at different phases of my life, i see them as humans and nothing more, they are neither superior nor inferior to us. If you have a problem comprehending don't blame it on me, go face off with Kolooyibo with facts and not presumptions
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by sukkot: 7:10pm On Mar 27, 2016
sammydemperor:

Nigga please!!!
What's your stress
If you cannot decode a message don't quote me, you obviously got the wrong context out of the message, like wheres your sense of humor

I have worked with white people at different phases of my life, i see them as humans and nothing more, they are neither superior nor inferior to us. If you have a problem comprehending don't blame it on me, go face off with Kolooyibo with facts and not presumptions
nigga you quoted me first with your asinine post angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by tpiah01: 7:10pm On Mar 27, 2016
mikechrisgeneral:
Pls who's fixes Easter date?

do you want to do it?
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by tpiah01: 7:13pm On Mar 27, 2016
I'm sure some people have been scammed or ill informed with these dates.

we'll hear about it later because I can almost guarantee payments were promised or made on the assumption easter will be in April [underworld things].

egg on face.

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by Nobody: 7:13pm On Mar 27, 2016
sukkot:
nigga you quoted me first with your asinine post angry
Yeah am sorry bout that
Please accept my unreserved apologies
Do have a wonderful night rest
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by sukkot: 7:15pm On Mar 27, 2016
sammydemperor:

Yeah am sorry bout that
Please accept my unreserved apologies
Do have a wonderful night rest
good. and happy easter to you grin

and kokooyinbo is not murdering anybody. jus sayin
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by KoloOyinbo(m): 7:21pm On Mar 27, 2016
sukkot:

where is the murdering ?

Its a metaphor for making my points in a logical manner in the face of silliness. His recognition of logic and reason nothing to do with your spurious introduction of pretend inferiority. Logic and correctness is independent of skin colour.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by sukkot: 7:23pm On Mar 27, 2016
KoloOyinbo:

Its a metaphor for making my points in a logical manner in the face of silliness. His recognition of logic and reason nothing to do with your spurious introduction of pretend inferiority. Logic and correctness is independent of skin colour.

but you have not made any logical points since i set my eye on you today lolz
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by KoloOyinbo(m): 7:24pm On Mar 27, 2016
sukkot:
but you have not made any logical points since i set my eye on you today lolz

You would not be capable of recognising it!
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by Giyerte(m): 7:26pm On Mar 27, 2016
egobetatoday:

but you who queried your faith (if u r muslim) still celebrate eid el fitri on different dates grin

lol. it is fixed sir.

We have our own calendar we use and it is call hijri calendar which is different from your own Gregorian calendar.
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by sukkot: 7:26pm On Mar 27, 2016
KoloOyinbo:

You would not be capable of recognising it!

haahahaha. you a funny guy. ever tried comedy ?
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by KoloOyinbo(m): 7:36pm On Mar 27, 2016
sukkot:
haahahaha. you a funny guy. ever tried comedy ?

Yes I have. I am excellent at that also! Ever hear the one anout the Yorubaman, Igboman and Chinaman....
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by sukkot: 7:42pm On Mar 27, 2016
KoloOyinbo:

Yes I have. I am excellent at that also! Ever hear the one anout the Yorubaman, Igboman and Chinaman....

yeah, the yorubaman returned to oduduwa in the sky, the igboman returned to the naira note while the chinaman made a replica copy of both of them and sold it cheap to tourists as a remembrance grin grin
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by godunia(m): 7:53pm On Mar 27, 2016
CzarChris:
It's funny that nobody has actually written what people want to hear.

Easter celebration was a pagan celebration of the goddess Ishter, but the Romans Catholic Church Christianed it Christ's death and resurrection cos it sometimes coincides with the passover(same thing that happened to Christmas).
the Passover which is observed on Nisan 14 in the Jewish calendar actually determines the date Easter is celebrated for instance this year Nisan 14 falls on the 23rd of March in our calendar, the Friday after that becomes good Friday while the Sunday becomes Easter. If the Jewish Passover (nisan14) falls on any day of the week, Easter would be observed that weekend. Jesus never commanded us to observe his resurrection but the memorial of his death which falls on Nisan 14 every year. Like 22:19
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by KoloOyinbo(m): 8:01pm On Mar 27, 2016
sukkot:
yeah, the yorubaman returned to oduduwa in the sky, the igboman returned to the naira note while the chinaman made a replica copy of both of them and sold it cheap to tourists as a remembrance grin grin

Was actually about eating the fly and the Igboman asked the Chinaman - how much you go buy am?
Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by 4nobody4every1: 8:04pm On Mar 27, 2016
sukkot:
i think i have a better chance of learning something from the village school. look at you ? you went to the seminary school in europe but you know absolutely next to nothing. you spent the whole 4 years drinking red wine and eating jacobs cream crackers on communion days grin grin grin
grin grin grin

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by sukkot: 8:06pm On Mar 27, 2016
KoloOyinbo:

Was actually about eating the fly and the Igboman asked the Chinaman - how much you go buy am?
haaaahaaaaa. the one i gave was kinda made up and kinda dry but stems from the fact that yorubas claim to be from oduduwa who is said to have descended from the sky and igbomen are known for their obsession with the naira and the chinaman is all about making cheap replicas and selling it lol. yeah kinda dry but hey i tried

1 Like

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by sukkot: 8:07pm On Mar 27, 2016
4nobody4every1:
grin grin grin
chaiiiii hehehe grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by 4nobody4every1: 8:09pm On Mar 27, 2016
sukkot:
chaiiiii hehehe grin grin
cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) by Nobody: 8:32pm On Mar 27, 2016
genjutsu:

Why have you decided to embarrass your educational background with such dullness from your mind.
Yet, someone will call you an adult.
The sacarsm must have done a pole vault over your brain.
My bad....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

77 Rescued At Bible Believers Church, Ondo Were Awaiting 'Second Coming' / Apostle Kenneth Kenny Kills A Dog, Eats It Raw In Church And Feeds Members / I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.