Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,939 members, 7,873,020 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 06:50 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1039) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11989000 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1036) (1037) (1038) (1039) (1040) (1041) (1042) ... (16392) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:50am On Jun 03, 2017
__________________Alampasu
Shehu________Awaziem_______Ekong________Echiejile
________________Agu___________Ndidi
______________________Etebo
Musa___________________________________Iwobi
____________________Iheanacho

My preferred starting eleven.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:56am On Jun 03, 2017
eterisan:

If he was ready he would not be drafted back to team B..he was not ready..#fact..imagine drafting a young ramos or maldini back to team B..awaziem is not a ramos or maldini yet.. infact for the sake of our nt I pray he becomes. I am not against him..like I said earlier I would not be surprised if he starts but I just don't think he would..it is like saying you expect maroof yusuf to start ahead of echeijile..not gonna happen.. He just de come he go sedan watch senior boys abeg..na so we been de do m for street soccer that year for waffi..hope u get the sacarsm..

From the best of my knowledge, Awaziem lost his place at Porto after Lopetegui lost his job at Porto. Lopetegui is a Spanish tactician who favors a high possessive style of play. This kind of style requires ball playing defenders and that was why Awaziem who is a gifted and cofirmed baller got the role.

Lopetegui is the current coach of the Spanish national team and his departure from Porto led to a transition in style of play which did not require Awaziem's talent.

From reports, Rohr prefers Ball playing defenders and has drills to pick the best. That is why it is favoring Awaziem and Awaziem might most likely get the nod. A player like Awaziem helps Rohr implement his philosophy holistically.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:03am On Jun 03, 2017
The battle against the South Africans will be mainly in the midfield department....

Dean Furman/Andile Jali/Mabunda or Makola Vs Ogenyi Onazi/Onyinye Ndidi/Oghenekaro Etebo

They also have a Keagan Dolly who will be up against Echiejile for the most parts.

Dolly plus the midfield duo of Furman and Jali are South Africa's main men....then alongside Khune too in goal.

The others ride on the waves of these four....... even Rivaldo Coetzee.

Note: I would have mentioned Thulani Serero but Baxter didn't include him on the list of invitees for the battle of Uyo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:12am On Jun 03, 2017
tbaba1234:

It is not about them playing. It is whether they will go the full 90. Musa and Shehu was subbed early in the match against Togo. They were the first players subbed.

Some people can play well during the fast but it is not everyone. Hakeem Olajuwon used to have better stats during Ramadan.

All the north African players would only play 60mins then because they are fasting.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:13am On Jun 03, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

So far, Awaziem stood out from the defenders. If Omeruo outperforms him in training, he has my full support. If he does not, then it is riskier fielding him. We must look to fielding the best. When Omeruo returned unfit against South Africa, we paid dearly for relying on his experience. Just as we paid for relying on Yobo's experience in the World Cup. In when Omeruo made his last error for the Super Eagles, experience was not there to help him.

Fielding the best player will always be the best solution. As for the young Ajax team, they overachieved. From a team flogged out of the Champions League to a team that gave Manchester United a run for their money.

I have seen numerous experience players make childish errors. Just like Drogba's childish defending in the Champions league finals against Bayern Munich. Lucky Robben missed the penalty. A highly experienced Deimeichelis made repeated Childish errors playing for City. Let me not go to Eguavoen.

We need the best in each role.

Now, that begs the question. What is the definition of 'best' in this context?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:19am On Jun 03, 2017
Arsenal Whizzkid Nwakali Expecting Super Eagles Coach Rohr To Ring Him Up

Arsenal wonderkid Kelechi Nwakali is dismayed over his snub by Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr, and is expecting the German to consider him when he names future national team rosters.

To call a spade a spade, the Nigeria U20 skipper might be shipped out on loan by the Gunners for a second consecutive season because he does not fulfill all the requirements to play in the Premier League.

The 3.5 million euros fee Arsenal paid to snap up the attacking midfielder and his yearly wages are inconsequential for him to be granted a work permit by the Home Office.

''Where we are having problems now is they have not invited Kelechi to the national team, we know how things work in Nigeria,'' Kelechi's adviser Allwell Nwakali told
allnigeriasoccer.com .

''He has been excellent for his team, playing well wherever he is. If they can call him up, the permit process will be so easy for us. I cannot influence his invitation.''

Last season, Leicester City and Watford managed to close the deals for Wilfred Ndidi and Isaac Success respectively despite not playing 75 percent of Super Eagles matches because the two Premier League teams forked out hefty sums plus wages for their services.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23280
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:50am On Jun 03, 2017
Icon4s:

Now, that begs the question. What is the definition of 'best' in this context?

The best is the person who based on recent evidences has the better potential of having a good game. A player who has the better attributes to deliver a good performance.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:53am On Jun 03, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Arsenal Whizzkid Nwakali Expecting Super Eagles Coach Rohr To Ring Him Up

Arsenal wonderkid Kelechi Nwakali is dismayed over his snub by Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr, and is expecting the German to consider him when he names future national team rosters.

To call a spade a spade, the Nigeria U20 skipper might be shipped out on loan by the Gunners for a second consecutive season because he does not fulfill all the requirements to play in the Premier League.

The 3.5 million euros fee Arsenal paid to snap up the attacking midfielder and his yearly wages are inconsequential for him to be granted a work permit by the Home Office.

''Where we are having problems now is they have not invited Kelechi to the national team, we know how things work in Nigeria,'' Kelechi's adviser Allwell Nwakali told
allnigeriasoccer.com .

''He has been excellent for his team, playing well wherever he is. If they can call him up, the permit process will be so easy for us. I cannot influence his invitation.''

Last season, Leicester City and Watford managed to close the deals for Wilfred Ndidi and Isaac Success respectively despite not playing 75 percent of Super Eagles matches because the two Premier League teams forked out hefty sums plus wages for their services.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23280

I hope Rohr has Kelechi Nwakali's situation in his mind. Let the team work hard to qualify early and then we can have room to support the likes of Kelechi Nwakali who National team call-ups will help them grow in their career. In turn we are building more quality players for our Super Eagles pool.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:58am On Jun 03, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

From the best of my knowledge, Awaziem lost his place at Porto after Lopetegui lost his job at Porto. Lopetegui is a Spanish tactician who favors a high possessive style of play. This kind of style requires ball playing defenders and that was why Awaziem who is a gifted and cofirmed baller got the role.

Lopetegui is the current coach of the Spanish national team and his departure from Porto led to a transition in style of play which did not require Awaziem's talent.

From reports, Rohr prefers Ball playing defenders and has drills to pick the best. That is why it is favoring Awaziem and Awaziem might most likely get the nod. A player like Awaziem helps Rohr implement his philosophy holistically.

Because Omeruo was not called to France camp?

Again I saw your preferred line up and I just laughed. You are starting Agu ahead of Onazi. What if Onazi was also in that France camp?

You have just concluded that Agu will do the job better than Onazi without having Onazi too camp.
You did not give Onazi to prove himself dur

embarassed
TheGoodJoe:

Because Omeruo was not called to France camp?

Again I saw your preferred line up and I just laughed. You are starting Agu ahead of Onazi. What if Onazi was also in that France camp?

You have just concluded that Agu will do the job better than Onazi without having Onazi too in camp.
You did not give Onazi opportunity to prove himself during 'drills' so we can select the 'best'.

You just quickly chose Agu. Hahaha.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:00pm On Jun 03, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
The battle against the South Africans will be mainly in the midfield department....

Dean Furman/Andile Jali/Mabunda or Makola Vs Ogenyi Onazi/Onyinye Ndidi/Oghenekaro Etebo

They also have a Keagan Dolly who will be up against Echiejile for the most parts.

Dolly plus the midfield duo of Furman and Jali are South Africa's main men....then alongside Khune too in goal.

The others ride on the waves of these four....... even Rivaldo Coetzee.

Note: I would have mentioned Thulani Serero but Baxter didn't include him on the list of invitees for the battle of Uyo.

Dolly would be up against any of these three ; Shehu, Tyrone and Omeruo. It all depends on who Rohr picks to man the RB position because Dolly operates from the left side.

Am actually relishing the battle in the midfield because in either of Agu or Onazi, Ndidi and of course Etebo, we've got combative midfielders, add to that, Iwobi's guile and technic.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:02pm On Jun 03, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

The best is the person who based on recent evidences has the better potential of having a good game. A player who has the better attributes to deliver a good performance.

So how recent is 'recent' in this context?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:03pm On Jun 03, 2017
Icon4s:

So how recent is 'recent' in this context?

Recent.
grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:05pm On Jun 03, 2017
ChrisKels:

Dolly would be up against any of these three ; Shehu, Tyrone and Omeruo. It all depends on who Rohr picks to man the RB position because Dolly operates from the left side.

Am actually relishing the battle in the midfield because in either of Agu or Onazi, Ndidi and of course Etebo, we've got combative midfielders, add to that, Iwobi's guile and technic.

Omeruo is not a RB.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:07pm On Jun 03, 2017
TheGoodJoe:
Recent. grin
See you.
There is a difference between fantasy and reality.
You know I have always questioned your players selection techniques.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:09pm On Jun 03, 2017
tongue
Icon4s:

See you.

As if I like your selection criteria. Only you, we would have waited for ten years before you will say Iheanacho IS THERE. tongue

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:12pm On Jun 03, 2017
Icon4s:

See you.

Which one is fantasy and reality? Reality is, experience pros like Yobo and Omeruo have messed up on the big stage. Akpeyi in his games was more shaky than a youngster. So you keep hanging on experience. I keep saying the better player. If Onazi and Omeruo come to camp and they perform better in camp, they have my nod. If not, they do not.

That is as real as it gets.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:13pm On Jun 03, 2017
Icon4s:

Omeruo is not a RB.

He could probably play there against the RSA, he didn't do badly the last time he was there as a makeshift.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 12:20pm On Jun 03, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

So far, Awaziem stood out from the defenders. If Omeruo outperforms him in training, he has my full support. If he does not, then it is riskier fielding him. We must look to fielding the best. When Omeruo returned unfit against South Africa, we paid dearly for relying on his experience. Just as we paid for relying on Yobo's experience in the World Cup. In when Omeruo made his last error for the Super Eagles, experience was not there to help him.

Fielding the best player will always be the best solution. As for the young Ajax team, they overachieved. From a team flogged out of the Champions League to a team that gave Manchester United a run for their money.

I have seen numerous experience players make childish errors. Just like Drogba's childish defending in the Champions league finals against Bayern Munich. Lucky Robben missed the penalty. A highly experienced Deimeichelis made repeated Childish errors playing for City. Let me not go to Eguavoen.

We need the best in each role.

You don start again with your training ground drill performance abi??
You wan carry small pikin wey dey play for B team go play crazy South Africans. I hail ooo
A fit Omeruo can't sit on the bench for Awaziem.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 12:21pm On Jun 03, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

perfect line up
unfortunately rohr will not start alampasu in goal on the 10th of June.
likewise onazi will start ahead of agu...he will likely be the captain that day.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:22pm On Jun 03, 2017
Humility017:

perfect line up
unfortunately rohr will not start alampasu in goal on the 10th of June.
likewise onazi will start ahead of agu...he will likely be the captain that day.

Let us see how it goes. What is most important is the players grabbing all three points.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:23pm On Jun 03, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Which one is fantasy and reality? Reality is, experience pros like Yobo and Omeruo have messed up on the big stage. Akpeyi in his games was more shaky than a youngster. So you keep hanging on experience. I keep saying the better player. If Onazi and Omeruo come to camp and they perform better in camp, they have my nod. If not, they do not.

That is as real as it gets.

And you didn't wait to see Onazi and Omeruo before you conclude that they are not better?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:24pm On Jun 03, 2017
OMANBALA1:

You don start again with your training ground drill performance abi??
You wan carry small pikin wey dey play for B team go play crazy South Africans. I hail ooo
A fit Omeruo can't sit on the bench for Awaziem.

Awaziem who has started games for Porto and played against Benfica and had a good game is a small pikin.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 12:25pm On Jun 03, 2017
goldfish80:
My realistic starting line-up for South Africa.

. . . . . . . Akpeyi. . . .
Omeruo. . . . . Awaziem. . . . . Ekong. . . Elder
. . . . . Onazi. . . . . . Ndidi. . .
. . . . . . . . . . Etebor. . .
Musa/Simon. . . . Iheanacho. . . . Iwobi

I see Omeruo starting at Rb. Rohr seems not to trust Shehu enough and he wouldn't want to make so many changes in the defence that played the last qualifiers.
I see just one change in Awaziem who is more or less a like for like replacement of Balogun. I read sometime ago in an interview Awaziem granted which he attested that Balogun have been a big influence on his game.

Etebor will likely play behind Iheanacho because he is more of a goal threat in such areas while Iwobi works from the flanks.

Impact subs could be Kayode Olarenwaju and Muzam. While Ogu subs in for to secure the match from the middle if we have a lead going into the last 10-5mins

simon should start ahead of musa
musa is more dangerous when used as sub...
he can mess up RSA defense in such manner
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:26pm On Jun 03, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Chai! I didn't even see Alampasu in goal sef!

Wait you sincerely believe Rohr will start Alampasu?

That's why I say fantasy is different from reality.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:26pm On Jun 03, 2017
Icon4s:

And you didn't wait to see Onazi and Omeruo before you conclude that they are not better?

I listed my preferred line-up. I wonder why that is bothering you. If reports come and say Onazi and Omeruo are doing better, I will make my preferred line-up then known. If reports maintain the same momentum for Awaziem, Agu and Alampasu, my list will still stand. So, what is the problem. Ogini.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:27pm On Jun 03, 2017
Icon4s:

Chai! I didn't even see Alampasu in goal sef!

Wait you sincerely believe Rohr will start Alampasu?

That's why I say fantasy is different from reality.

I want the better keeper in goal and reports clearly stated Alampasu has been fairing better. My opinion has not changed.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 12:28pm On Jun 03, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Awaziem who has started games for Porto and played against Benfica and had a good game is a small pikin.

you answered my question bro
sometimes we all think Africa football is one hell of task....
Spain or Germany will beat any Africa team any day any time....without resorting to physical style of play ..
I prefer fielding in technical and skillful players than physically and strong players wit nothing upstairs...
playing in the Dutch league against the likes of Ajax and PSV and also playing in the Portuguese league is not a child's play.....
I trust that.....

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:28pm On Jun 03, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I thought you were hanging on 'recent'?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:30pm On Jun 03, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I listed my preferred line-up. I wonder why that is bothering you. If reports come and say Onazi and Omeruo are doing better, I will make my preferred line-up then known. If reports maintain the same momentum for Awaziem, Agu and Alampasu, my list will still stand. So, what is the problem. Ogini.

Now you have come open. It's your fantasy lineup.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 12:30pm On Jun 03, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Let us see how it goes. What is most important is the players grabbing all three points.

yes ooo
I am not scared at all
wit nacho and iwobi spearheading the attack..
I am abit more relaxed...
I pray we get early goals

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:30pm On Jun 03, 2017
Icon4s:

I thought you were hanging on 'recent' not long ago?

Does Awaziem playing for Porto B erase the fact that he has done it on the big stage. My point is simple. Bring them to camp, screen and select the best players. The screening will determine the recent best players.

For now, Awaziem leads and gets my nod.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 12:31pm On Jun 03, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Awaziem is not a tested defender.
I rather have an untested player in the midfield than throw in a green horn in the defense. Its very dangerous.
Assuming Onazi is in the camp would you start Agu ahead of him ?

(1) (2) (3) ... (1036) (1037) (1038) (1039) (1040) (1041) (1042) ... (16392) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Hanibal(m), dymusty86 and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.