Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,584 members, 7,878,654 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 12:15 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (11912) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12019209 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11909) (11910) (11911) (11912) (11913) (11914) (11915) ... (16405) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by oloriooko(m): 8:56pm On Dec 22, 2021
Excuse me has Leicester sold Iheanacho already?
Even in Cup games he's no where to be found
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:57pm On Dec 22, 2021
Meliforme:

If dribbling is all you see in Ejuke's game, then maybe you don't know the player that i am talking about, or you don't watch him.

Talking about technique, Aribo doesn't come close. Do you know that Iheanacho, Iwobi, should i add Nwalkali, and even Victor Osimhen have more technique in their game than your Aribo.

It is obvious some of us on this thread doesn't know what technique in football is.

What is there in Ejuke's game, maybe you are watching a different player than the rest of us if you can mention a technical attribute he has more than Aribo then I can take you seriously, saying that Osimhen has more technique than Aribo shows you are not serious
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:57pm On Dec 22, 2021
komekn:

Dan James has poor technical ability and vision, everything is speed. He cannot learn those things now it's too late maybe possible but very hard.

I once watched the new set of players who were U12 doing certain technical drills that they had been taught under a new regime of technical proficiency and skills.

The U23 who had not had that schooling were invited to that training session. You know what the U12 were better.

This is why you don't see kick and rush footballer s in the top football be academies in England. Football had moved on and so has English football.

One question long term and short term. Has Nigerian football moved on in terms of investment training facilities, coaching etc to create s new set of complete footballers for the future ❓❓❓

That is why Nigeria play our own brand of football over the years. I pointed out once about how Al Ahly of Egypt camped in Spain while 3SC were on strike for over a month. Yet when they met, 3SC matched Al Ahly in play. Even took the lead at some point. So as football changes, we will make adaptations but we have a way we play with pace and intensity that helps cover our lapses.

Do you think Onazi and Ambrose were more trained with equipments than the French team? But, we used grit and intensity to match them.

You think we were technically better than Brazil and Argentina in Atlanta? No, we matched them with grit and intensity.

Eguavoen is pointing towards that intensity and making us understand we need a degree of intelligence to make the most from it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 8:57pm On Dec 22, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

I will like to clear something. The players today are equally as gifted or maybe even more than the guys in the past. In recent years we have seen masters of footworks in the likes of Thiago Alcantara and Isco. We have seen def speed and skills in the likes of Mbappe, and Salah.

We have seen some of the craziest technique of touch in likes of Foden and Mahrez. I doubt Bergkamp is better on the ball than Mahrez.

The thing was that defending in the past was lazy. The work rate was poor. So the likes of Okocha, Laudrup, Ronaldinho, Denilson, Bergkamp and co could play with the ball and everybody watches.

Today, if those guys like Zidane were playing, they will not have such luxury. Teams press with full force. They give little time to think. You have to work with a formula to guide your thinking. Playing out of pattern means losing the ball. Every trick should have a purpose, any mistake, you put your team under pressure.

You might praise the guys of the past for their artistry but the truth is that, they will choke in the current system.
The same today that Messi, Neymar, Hazard still dribbled in?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:58pm On Dec 22, 2021
oloriooko:

I thought I heard he had covid?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:58pm On Dec 22, 2021
komekn:

Not every body understandd that you can have great dribbling skills but poor first touch and even poorer decision making.

I am yet to understand what the guy thinks technique is
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:59pm On Dec 22, 2021
Odunayaw:
The same today that Messi, Neymar, Hazard still dribbled in?

That is the point. I am saying these guys today are equally gifted or maybe better because they are dealing with harder tactical conditions.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by oloriooko(m): 9:00pm On Dec 22, 2021
since he featured for 9ja?

TheGoodJoe:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:02pm On Dec 22, 2021
oloriooko:
since he featured for 9ja?

Some people take time to test Negative. It took Dybala over a month to recover.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:03pm On Dec 22, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

I believe the birds today fly better than the past but the defending is too good for you to notice it. How many wingers of the past are better than Hazard in taking on players. Watch the swarm of players around Hazard then. Today, it is even fiercer.

I disagree with players not being good at dribbling. There are loads today. Watch Joao Felix, watch Veratti. Watch Salah. These guys are crazy. However, it is wrong to dribble in tight spaces. You are losing the ball. Counter attacks are insane today. You just don't take thiat risk. It is suicidal.

Bring Ronaldinho today and he can not try it. Have you seen tricks from Vinicius? They are brilliant but you must limit it and abide by tactics to succeed.
You keep pointing at players. Go read komekn's contribution and see the part I boldened.

Dribbling showboating without end product is essentially rubbish in today's highly tactical and disciplined strategic planned football environment.

I remember when Mahrez, Raheem, etc did all that dribbling and showboating, they don't do that anymore , it's all about END PRODUCT

That is what I critique. I never said that they are no dribblers today. I never even compared today's players with players of the past (although you are trying to drag me into that and I will not get into it because it's a blackhole). I am attacking a mindset which is prevalent today that dribbling, flicks and flamboyance should be cut out of the game. A fine point which if you do not read me carefully, you won't get.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 9:05pm On Dec 22, 2021
THE 1970 BRAZILIAN WORLD CU TEAM HAD A PROFOUND EFFECT ON MODERN FOOTBALL.
READ IT HERE THEIR WINGERS DRIFTED INTO MIDFIELD. THER MIDFIELDERS INTO DEFENCE ETC

"Rivelino was a more unorthodox winger. He would drift into the centre, consequently creating a three-man midfield with Clodoaldo and Gérson, or taking up more attacking positions near Pelé.
Carlos Alberto was instructed to bomb down the right flank when Brazil were in possession, leaving Piazza, Brito and Everaldo to cover for the whole team. Piazza was actually a midfielder; Zagallo insisted on him playing in defence to help with Brazil’s build-up play.
It is easy to forget that such tactical tweaks were radical innovations at the tim"

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2018/06/17/brazil-1970-and-the-most-beautiful-football-in-history/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 9:08pm On Dec 22, 2021
Mujtahida:

What you wrote as per the highlighted portions is why I hate modern football. In fact, I spend my leisure time watching YouTube videos of old football matches or footballers of a bye-gone era. Like today, I watched Zidane's clips.

The beautiful game has become machine game - stats, stats and God damn stats. It's painful to watch particularly for some of us who watched football at a time when expressiveness was allowed and fused into the framework of productive outcomes.

Today in the the sick name of END PRODUCT beauty has been sucked out of football with an uncompromising viciousness that saddens me, flair swallowed by the aridity of numbers. In the temple of jogo Bonito, an alien god who spits out only stats and money has been erected and is now worshipped by devotees like you. In fact it is like the god of soccer has left the temple for demons of soccer.

As if when football was beautiful, teams did not win.

Zidane was elegant to watch. His haul of laurels tells us that a player can be a sweet, delightful maestro and be highly effective. He won everything of note there is to win in football - league titles, champions league, world cup.

Ronaldinho was a volcanic splurge of beauty and mesmeric speed. He was a winner. He was a unplayable and single handedly decided games.

Denis Bergkamp was a god of the first touch. His goal against Argentina in France 98 as was his goal against Newcastle in the EPL are the works of unrivaled genius. He won many trophies with Arsenal. And so were Maradona, Baggio, Kluivert, Van Basten, Zola and many other great players who played great football and also stood on podiums to receive accolades, recognitions, trophies and titles. They delivered END PRODUCTS and consistently too.

So this artless, cold, soulless football we play today, all in the name of winning is a travesty of the beautiful game. Football is meant to entertain - flicks, spins, roulette, silky moves, mazy runs, golazos, leg overs all go into the mix of winning or END PRODUCT as you tastelessly put it. One should not be sacrificed for the other.

I detest modern football with a passion. For me just as Socrates of Brazil said beauty comes first- victory is secondary. And yes, victory and beauty can be coupled together.

The truth is that it is because we do not have high thinkers that is why football has become so drab. All art is about the triumph of that which is beautiful. And football is an art. Europeans have turned it into a debilitating scientific exercise. I sometimes wish Europe is not the dominating center of world football. Even the Brazilians have been sucked into this vortex of wack football. Thank God for YouTube. I use it to remind myself of an era that is gone. Perhaps one day a generation of coaches will arise who will say no to machine football. But I doubt it.
Just thank u for this write up.

Komekn and his likes are just blinded by stats.

Do any of these end product stats pile generation actually have better end product than those legends of d game u mentioned above
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 9:08pm On Dec 22, 2021
komekn:

IMO no football brain and or intelligence.

Can I say ABOKI without causing offence.
Aboki means friend, you... ... Komekn.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:10pm On Dec 22, 2021
Mujtahida:

You keep pointing at players. Go read komekn's contribution and see the part I boldened.

Dribbling showboating without end product is essentially rubbish in today's highly tactical and disciplined strategic planned football environment.

I remember when Mahrez, Raheem, etc did all that dribbling and showboating, they don't do that anymore , it's all about END PRODUCT

That is what I critique. I never said that they are no dribblers today. I never even compared today's players with players of the past (although you are trying to drag me into that and I will not get into it because it's a blackhole). I am attacking a mindset which is prevalent today that dribbling, flicks and flamboyance should be cut out of the game. A fine point which if you do not read me carefully, you won't get.

I understand. Remember I also corrected him, highlighting how lots of City players today rely on technical brilliance to for the team work to excel.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 9:10pm On Dec 22, 2021
charlesemeka85:
I see no reason why you have been aggressive towards an innocent post which I made and also which is my own opinion on a certain topic

U need to loosen up man or shift your frustration to somewhere else
Actually you should take your own advice. Oga Mujtahida was reminiscing and you're the one that has mouth to say he should "forget this long epistle"

The same way you discarded his opinion is the same way I discarded yours but see how hard it is to take. Those who live in glass house shouldn't throw stones.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by oloriooko(m): 9:11pm On Dec 22, 2021
so he's still unable to come out of it?
dude must have mingled with the wrong crowd very well

TheGoodJoe:

Some people take time to test Negative. It took Dybala over a month to recover.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 9:13pm On Dec 22, 2021
kingphilip:

Are you saying this for the people who's suggesting he comes in or you are saying it because of why you want him to come in?

He has been invited already according to nkwobi sauces

I am just saying the facts bro
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 9:14pm On Dec 22, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

That is the point. I am saying these guys today are equally gifted or maybe better because they are dealing with harder tactical conditions.
No one is talking about gift. We're talking of it's expression.
Tackling isn't tougher now than it was in the days of Maradona.

What you guys call "modern football" is as mechanical as table soccer. Remove flair from football and it is no different from cricket and hockey
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:14pm On Dec 22, 2021
Napoleon55:

Just thank u for this write up.

Komekn and his likes are just blinded by stats
Read this comment from one of Zizou's YouTube videos.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:17pm On Dec 22, 2021
Odunayaw:
No one is talking about gift. We're talking of it's expression.
Tackling isn't tougher now than it was in the days of Maradona.

What you guys call "modern football" is as mechanical as table soccer. Remove flair from football and it is no different from cricket and hockey
I guess some don't see it as mechanical. Once goals are scored that's all. The gift is there but the coaches don't allow for its expression. They call it showboating. To imagine that Ronaldinho will hardly fit into today's football tells you how much artistic expression is frowned upon in today's game. Yet Ronaldinho was an insanely effective player. Today na Kante dem dey reign. I'm like wow.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:18pm On Dec 22, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

I understand. Remember I also corrected him, highlighting how lots of City players today rely on technical brilliance to for the team work to excel.
Ohh well then.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 9:18pm On Dec 22, 2021
Mujtahida:

Read this comment from one of Zizou's YouTube videos.
The guy was very right about "American sport"

E weak me
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 9:20pm On Dec 22, 2021
oloriooko:

In as much as I am not happy with nacho ,I won’t accept false news around here to make some people come Dey masturbate

Nacho is just back at the bench after 2 games he didn’t make the team due to injury/COVID issues

Nacho has been involved in 90 percent of Leicester city games this season for your info .

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 9:22pm On Dec 22, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

He's on the bench
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:26pm On Dec 22, 2021
Odunayaw:
The guy was very right about "American sport"

E weak me
Just bland athleticism. As if it's formula 1.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sugarboyy(m): 9:29pm On Dec 22, 2021
I have been wondering what has been happening to Moffi goalscoring Boot this season but I am currently watching Lorient take on PSG and already Moffi has missed not 1 but 2 clear 1on1 with the goalkeeper
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 9:36pm On Dec 22, 2021
Daka is more closer to Osimhen than he is to Vardy

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 9:40pm On Dec 22, 2021
Meliforme:

If dribbling is all you see in Ejuke's game, then maybe you don't know the player that i am talking about, or you don't watch him.

Talking about technique, Aribo doesn't come close. Do you know that Iheanacho, Iwobi, should i add Nwalkali, and even Victor Osimhen have more technique in their game than your Aribo.

It is obvious some of us on this thread doesn't know what technique in football is.

Aribo has better technique than Iheanacho, Iwobi, and Nwakali. Osimhen's technique is a bit better than Aribo's though, but Osimhen is not as sleek. Iheanacho has excellent shooting and good passing but is poor everywhere else, Iwobi when not confused can pull off the odd skill or pass but is poor everywhere else. Nwakali from the little I've watched in the Segunda is just lazy on the pitch. He doesn't like getting his shirt dirty.

Ejuke is the only player in our team that arguably has the best technique, slightly better than Osimhen and Aribo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 9:42pm On Dec 22, 2021
Mujtahida:

Just bland athleticism. As if it's formula 1.
Apt description sir

Tueh
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kellycute(m): 9:43pm On Dec 22, 2021
Mujtahida:

What you wrote as per the highlighted portions is why I hate modern football. In fact, I spend my leisure time watching YouTube videos of old football matches or footballers of a bye-gone era. Like today, I watched Zidane's clips.

The beautiful game has become machine game - stats, stats and God damn stats. It's painful to watch particularly for some of us who watched football at a time when expressiveness was allowed and fused into the framework of productive outcomes.

Today in the the sick name of END PRODUCT beauty has been sucked out of football with an uncompromising viciousness that saddens me, flair swallowed by the aridity of numbers. In the temple of jogo Bonito, an alien god who spits out only stats and money has been erected and is now worshipped by devotees like you. In fact it is like the god of soccer has left the temple for demons of soccer.

As if when football was beautiful, teams did not win.

Zidane was elegant to watch. His haul of laurels tells us that a player can be a sweet, delightful maestro and be highly effective. He won everything of note there is to win in football - league titles, champions league, world cup.

Ronaldinho was a volcanic splurge of beauty and mesmeric speed. He was a winner. He was a unplayable and single handedly decided games.

Denis Bergkamp was a god of the first touch. His goal against Argentina in France 98 as was his goal against Newcastle in the EPL are the works of unrivaled genius. He won many trophies with Arsenal. And so were Maradona, Baggio, Kluivert, Van Basten, Zola and many other great players who played great football and also stood on podiums to receive accolades, recognitions, trophies and titles. They delivered END PRODUCTS and consistently too.

So this artless, cold, soulless football we play today, all in the name of winning is a travesty of the beautiful game. Football is meant to entertain - flicks, spins, roulette, silky moves, mazy runs, golazos, leg overs all go into the mix of winning or END PRODUCT as you tastelessly put it. One should not be sacrificed for the other.

I detest modern football with a passion. For me just as Socrates of Brazil said beauty comes first- victory is secondary. And yes, victory and beauty can be coupled together.

The truth is that it is because we do not have high thinkers that is why football has become so drab. All art is about the triumph of that which is beautiful. And football is an art. Europeans have turned it into a debilitating scientific exercise. I sometimes wish Europe is not the dominating center of world football. Even the Brazilians have been sucked into this vortex of wack football. Thank God for YouTube. I use it to remind myself of an era that is gone. Perhaps one day a generation of coaches will arise who will say no to machine football. But I doubt it.
This is beautiful. My love for the game has reduced tremendously. Nowadays, I watch Osimhen only because of his passion. Modern football suck!!!!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 9:43pm On Dec 22, 2021
Subzero047:
Daka is more closer to Osimhen than he is to Vardy

Vardy is the striker closest to Osimhen of all the top strikers. Forget Vardy doesn't have the height and the athleticism, he has everything else Osimhen has.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:49pm On Dec 22, 2021
kellycute:
This is beautiful. My love for the game has reduced tremendously. Nowadays, I watch Osimhen only because of his passion. Modern football suck!!!!
Well, I thought I was the only one. My commitment is to our national team and even that one I hang on with by a thin thread. E dey pain me. Like where's all the passion gone?

(1) (2) (3) ... (11909) (11910) (11911) (11912) (11913) (11914) (11915) ... (16405) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Christinu2 and 13 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.