Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,705 members, 7,924,253 topics. Date: Sunday, 18 August 2024 at 08:08 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1194) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12270692 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1191) (1192) (1193) (1194) (1195) (1196) (1197) ... (16527) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:36pm On Jul 04, 2017
Yes ofcos Chief.... Yes of course..... The best of an era is always an amalgam of the brightest and finest springing up at different periods in one era or overlapping eras... so what you say is true.

But I expect some of the names he listed to be part of that "formidable attack" wink

Icon4s:

Mark my words not all of those players he lined up will end up being part of the 'formidable' attack he is talking about . Some other players may still likely spring up and some of those on that his list will get relegated from that attack.

That is football. It keeps happening over and over and over.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:36pm On Jul 04, 2017
Icon4s:

This is Nigeria we are talking about and not France.

Why? Because kids born in France have two brains or something. If our boys believe in themselves and work their hearts out, they can achieve greatness.

The boys are in Europe with quality facilities and coaches. It is time for them to take their chances.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:40pm On Jul 04, 2017
Icon4s:

Mark my words not all of those players he lined up will end up being part of the 'formidable' attack he is talking about . Some other players may still likely spring up and some of those on that his list will get relegated from that attack.

That is football. It keeps happening over and over and over.

No one is saying that. There is a reason why it is termed potential. It is also not all about talent. Hard work plays a big role in it too. Also fortunes of avoiding injuries. Working with coaches who support them and no the right way to groom them.

If you reread my statement, I said I am expecting a bang from some players. Top of my list is Osimhen. Second is Onyekuru because he has a smoother path to show what he can do. Then Nacho and Success. I have belief in them. Not a guarantee.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:41pm On Jul 04, 2017
goldfish80:

Thomas Nkono with Emma Okala were the best African goalkeepers of that era.
Dont forget Emma Okala was the first gK to win an Afcon. You listed the other 2 but not him. Check am na

I maybe tempted to swap Yakubu with Aghahowa. It will be difficult to leave out Julius. He was the go to guy for the team for a good number of years. More reliable than anyone we had from 2000 till date, with him in the team you know there is hope irrespective of the opponent.

Thomas Nkono Belonged more to the Rufai era and not the Okala era. Peter Rufai took over from Best Ogedengbe in 1983. The only period Okala really made the mark was from the 70s(mid) to 1981. He and one Rufus Ejele were the goalies we took to the 1978 AFCON in Ghana. By 1982 Best Ogedengbe had become the best. Peter Fregene was the back-up goalie. So I feel Emma Okala was the best goalie of the 70s and not the 80s.

Yakubu remains our best striker for his era.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:43pm On Jul 04, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Yes ofcos Chief.... Yes of course..... The best of an era is always an amalgam of the brightest and finest springing up at different periods in one era or overlapping eras... so what you say is true.

But I expect some of the names he listed to be part of that "formidable attack" wink

You get the point.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:44pm On Jul 04, 2017
Icon4s:

Thomas Nkono Belonged more to the Rufai era and not the Okala era. Peter Rufai took over from Best Ogedengbe in 1983. The only period Okala really made the mark was from the 70s(mid) to 1981. He and one Rufus Ejele were the goalies we took to the 1978 AFCON in Ghana. By 1982 Best Ogedengbe had become the best. Peter Fregene was the back-up goalie. So I feel Emma Okala was the best goalie of the 70s and not the 80s.

Yakubu remains our best striker for his era.

Being an Afcon winner and multiple league and challenge cup winner for Rangers of that era should earn Okala in the league of the best of the era. In my opinion anyway.
Yakubu was a club man. Aghahowa was more reliable for the Super Eagles.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:51pm On Jul 04, 2017
OGENYI ONAZI QUITS TURKISH SIDE TRABZONSPOR
By Shina Oludare

The Super Eagles player is no longer tied to the Black Sea Storm after walking away from the Medical Park Arena due to unpaid wages

Nigeria international Ogenyi Onazi has called time on his playing career with Turkish topflight side Trabzonspor owing to unpaid pays.

The 24-year-old who quit Lazio on similar ground dumped the Trabzon based team after playing the final two months of last term with receiving a dime.

According to player’s agent, Ayodele Makinwa, the Black Sea Storm have been notified of their decision.

"Now we are looking for a quick solution with regards his next destination," Makinwa told BBC Sport.

"We have an agreement with the club which strictly states that the player has a right to terminate his contract if the club failed to pay him for two months or more.

"We've taken a decision based on the violation of this agreement as Onazi is being owed for more than the stipulated period."

Onazi joins Algeria's Carl Medjani and Ghana’s Majeed Waris who recently quit the Turkish club following a row over unpaid wages.

Source: http://m.goal.com/s/en-ng/news/4110/nigerians-abroad/2017/07/04/36834322/ogenyi-onazi-quits-turkish-side-trabzonspor

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 12:00am On Jul 05, 2017
Onazi have terminated his contract with Trabzonspur over unpaid wages. ©BBC
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:01am On Jul 05, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

The whole idea is to prevent a Pogba type situation. At the end of the day football is a business, they have to protect themselves as a club.

I really expected more depth from you.

You really believe that a sell on clause is what is causing all the delay.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 12:01am On Jul 05, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
OGENYI ONAZI QUITS TURKISH SIDE TRABZONSPOR
By Shina Oludare

The Super Eagles player is no longer tied to the Black Sea Storm after walking away from the Medical Park Arena due to unpaid wages

Nigeria international Ogenyi Onazi has called time on his playing career with Turkish topflight side Trabzonspor owing to unpaid pays.

The 24-year-old who quit Lazio on similar ground dumped the Trabzon based team after playing the final two months of last term with receiving a dime.

According to player’s agent, Ayodele Makinwa, the Black Sea Storm have been notified of their decision.

"Now we are looking for a quick solution with regards his next destination," Makinwa told BBC Sport.

"We have an agreement with the club which strictly states that the player has a right to terminate his contract if the club failed to pay him for two months or more.

"We've taken a decision based on the violation of this agreement as Onazi is being owed for more than the stipulated period."

Onazi joins Algeria's Carl Medjani and Ghana’s Majeed Waris who recently quit the Turkish club following a row over unpaid wages.

Source: http://m.goal.com/s/en-ng/news/4110/nigerians-abroad/2017/07/04/36834322/ogenyi-onazi-quits-turkish-side-trabzonspor

Posted already
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:07am On Jul 05, 2017
Icon4s:
4 Generations of the Green Eagles/Super Eagles from the 1980s to present.

This write up is aimed at selecting the best 11 from each of the generations of Eagles.

I have grouped the 4 generations into 4 different decades: 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s(present)

Taking our minds down Memory Lane a bit, some may have to cast our minds farther than others. But which ever generation you belong your team will be captured.

With the emergence of Enugu Rangers and IICC as formidable forces in the mid to late 70s both in Nigeria and Africa, Nigeria was able to produce a formidable team that finished 3rd at the 1978 AFCON and ended up with a crescendo by winning the 1980 AFCON (then called the African Cup of Unity). That was the birth of Nigeria's dominance of football in Africa.

From 1980 to 1989 this is my first 11:

Peter Rufai
Bright Omokaro
Christian Chukwu
Stephen Keshi
Yisa Shofoluwe
Muda Lawal
Henry Nwosu
Samuel Okwaraji
Segun Odegbami
Adokiye Amiesimaka
Rashidi Yekini

With the Green Eagles of Algiers 90 nations cup came a new era of Nigerian football. Some of the players in the team of the 80s had become the senior players of the team. This era saw us dominate football in Africa and at a time ranked 5th in the world, highest for any African team ever. Also winning the AFCON in 1994.

My first 11 from the 1990 to 1999:

Peter Rufai
Ben Iroha
Uche Okechukwu
Stephen Keshi
Augustine Eguavoen
Sunday Oliseh
Austin Okocha
Emmanuel Amuneke
Finidi George
Daniel Amokachi
Rashidi Yekini

With Nigeria producing so many quality youth players in the 1990s both at the U17 and U20. Including winning the Olympics in 1996 and a q/final showing in 2000. A new generation of Eagles emerged. Some others joined from the 2003 U17 and 2005 U20. Some of the players from the 90s had become senior players in the team.

My first 11 for 2000 to 2009:

Vincent Enyeama
Taye Taiwo
Joseph Yobo
Taribo West
Chidi Odiah
Garba Lawal
Austin Okocha
Osaze Odemwingie
Tijani Babangida
Nwankwo Kanu
Yakubu Ayegbeni

The 2010 WC saw the end of a good number of the players of the 2000s. Some retired even before then.
The super eagles would had to depend mostly on the players who featured at the 2003 U17, 2005 U20, 2007 U20, 2008 U23 and 2009 U17 to carry the team further. This culminated in the team wining the AFCON in 2013. Nigeria continued to turn out quality youth players from the 2011 U20, 2013 U20, 2013 U17, 2015 U20 and 2015 U17.

My first 11 from 2010 to date:

Vincent Enyeama
Elderson Echiejile
Kenneth Omeruo
Godfrey Obaobona
Efe Ambrose
Ogenyi Onazi
John Obi Mikel
Victor Moses
Ahmed Musa
Ikechukwu Uche
Emmanuel Emenike

These are strictly my opinion. You are free to criticize or agree on any generation. Who is on my side on this one?

cc: enomakos, Kog45, komekn, forgiveness, TheGoodjoe, Michael2, Goldfish80, tbaba1234, Joseph1013, petrobros, Bascovanveli, safarigirl, TheSuperNerd, Joebie, chrisoblog, loogan, do4luv14, icon79 etc.

In the 2010 to date list I would have had Osaze (although not present continous) add to that list I would have Obagoal.

In the 2000-2009 I would have the very dependable Danny Shittu in that list.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:20am On Jul 05, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Kelechi had a poor game because our midfield good not give him good service. Is that so difficult for you to comprehend? It will take a multitude to easily spot this watching the game but for days people are echoing the same point and you jump to the had a poor game.

Even Suarez will have a poor game with bad services. Please stop the hate campaign.

You know when the going gets tough the tough get going.

It's not about hate and having a different opinion doesn't mean sentimental negative bias.

Exceptional strikers do exceptional things even when the service is not great. Your defence of KC and your apportioning of all the blame on the midfield is not justifiable.

Your position gives credence to the position felt by quite a few that KC lacks the ability to play as a lone striker. And as such needs a strike partner or to play as a SS.

Look at all his goals in city you hardly ever see him break from behind beat 1 or 2 players and score or have the ball played behind the defence for him to collect. He hardly ever scores with his head.

Compare his goals to Lukaku, Balotelli and or Costa and you will understand what I mean. And before you start saying hater or bias.

I did not say he is not an exceptional player just that there are some things that are not within his game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 12:23am On Jul 05, 2017
komekn:

In the 2010 to date list I would have had Osaze (although not present continous) add to that list I would have Obagoal.

In the 2000-2009 I would have the very dependable Danny Shittu in that list.

yea SHITTU, and IFEANYI UDEZE
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:23am On Jul 05, 2017
Icon4s:
4 Generations of the Green Eagles/Super Eagles from the 1980s to present.

This write up is aimed at selecting the best 11 from each of the generations of Eagles.

I have grouped the 4 generations into 4 different decades: 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s(present)

Taking our minds down Memory Lane a bit, some may have to cast our minds farther than others. But which ever generation you belong your team will be captured.

With the emergence of Enugu Rangers and IICC as formidable forces in the mid to late 70s both in Nigeria and Africa, Nigeria was able to produce a formidable team that finished 3rd at the 1978 AFCON and ended up with a crescendo by winning the 1980 AFCON (then called the African Cup of Unity). That was the birth of Nigeria's dominance of football in Africa.

From 1980 to 1989 this is my first 11:

Peter Rufai
Bright Omokaro
Christian Chukwu
Stephen Keshi
Yisa Shofoluwe
Muda Lawal
Henry Nwosu
Samuel Okwaraji
Segun Odegbami
Adokiye Amiesimaka
Rashidi Yekini

With the Green Eagles of Algiers 90 nations cup came a new era of Nigerian football. Some of the players in the team of the 80s had become the senior players of the team. This era saw us dominate football in Africa and at a time ranked 5th in the world, highest for any African team ever. Also winning the AFCON in 1994.

My first 11 from the 1990 to 1999:

Peter Rufai
Ben Iroha
Uche Okechukwu
Stephen Keshi
Augustine Eguavoen
Sunday Oliseh
Austin Okocha
Emmanuel Amuneke
Finidi George
Daniel Amokachi
Rashidi Yekini

With Nigeria producing so many quality youth players in the 1990s both at the U17 and U20. Including winning the Olympics in 1996 and a q/final showing in 2000. A new generation of Eagles emerged. Some others joined from the 2003 U17 and 2005 U20. Some of the players from the 90s had become senior players in the team.

My first 11 for 2000 to 2009:

Vincent Enyeama
Taye Taiwo
Joseph Yobo
Taribo West
Chidi Odiah
Garba Lawal
Austin Okocha
Osaze Odemwingie
Tijani Babangida
Nwankwo Kanu
Yakubu Ayegbeni

The 2010 WC saw the end of a good number of the players of the 2000s. Some retired even before then.
The super eagles would had to depend mostly on the players who featured at the 2003 U17, 2005 U20, 2007 U20, 2008 U23 and 2009 U17 to carry the team further. This culminated in the team wining the AFCON in 2013. Nigeria continued to turn out quality youth players from the 2011 U20, 2013 U20, 2013 U17, 2015 U20 and 2015 U17.

My first 11 from 2010 to date:

Vincent Enyeama
Elderson Echiejile
Kenneth Omeruo
Godfrey Obaobona
Efe Ambrose
Ogenyi Onazi
John Obi Mikel
Victor Moses
Ahmed Musa
Ikechukwu Uche
Emmanuel Emenike

These are strictly my opinion. You are free to criticize or agree on any generation. Who is on my side on this one?

cc: enomakos, Kog45, komekn, forgiveness, TheGoodjoe, Michael2, Goldfish80, tbaba1234, Joseph1013, petrobros, Bascovanveli, safarigirl, TheSuperNerd, Joebie, chrisoblog, loogan, do4luv14, icon79 etc.

*clearing throat* grin

Based on what each players bought the to the table at the National team level and club level will I chose my players.

From 1980 - 1999 no wahala.

But from 2000 - 2009

I go commot Yakubu put Aghahowa, Tijani to be replaced by Ikpeba. Kanu for John Utaka.

Why? Aghahowa was our top highest goal scorer in 2000 and 2002 Nations cup, he was among the best team of the Tournament in 2002 and joint top scorer of the Tournament. Gbam.

Ikpeba was part of the 1994 Africa cup of Nations winning team, he also contributed at the 2000 Nations cup were we got to the final (he no miss d penalty oooo, na ojoro Cameroon take win), he helped Monaco to win the league and contributed to the underage Olympics. grin

John Utaka na em biko. grin

*clearing throat*..

2010 to date grin

Commot Ike put Martins Obafemi. grin

We all saw how one legged Martins singlehandedly qualified us for the world cup. He's still very much available for selection. grin

In addition, I go commot Obaobona for Danny Shittu
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:24am On Jul 05, 2017
goldfish80:

Man city actually won something when they had smallish strikers up front like Baloteli and Dzeko paired up with Aguero with the dwarf Yaya Toure behind them.

Love it LOL grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:25am On Jul 05, 2017
Liverpool's Paul Pogba (Ovie Ejaria) Rejected Man Utd, Chelsea & Nine Other Interesting Facts

If you are fan of Liverpool, Nigerian and English football, Ovie Ejaria's name should ring a bell. Here are ten interesting facts about the central midfielder.

1) Ejaria was born on November 18,1997 in London, England to Nigerian parents and is eligible to play for the two nations.

2) Progressed through the ranks before making his debut for Arsenal U18s and trained with the U21s.

3) He played alongside Nigerian duo Olufela Olomola (now at Southampton) and Aaron Eyoma at Arsenal schoolboys.

4) The midfielder spent nine years at Arsenal academy before his departure in 2014.

5) He was offered a contract by Liverpool after impressing the youth team coaches at the AEGON Future Cup two years ago.

6) When interviewed by allnigeriasoccer.com , Ejaria revealed
that he was courted by Chelsea, Manchester United and Manchester City before joining the Reds, and had been on the radar of French powerhouse PSG.

7) He trained alongside Isaac Success (Watford) and Kelechi Iheanacho (Manchester City) during Nigeria Under 17s camping exercise in 2013.

8.) Three years ago he pledged his international future to Nigeria, before deciding to represent England and was part of the Young Lions squad that won the Fifa U20 World Cup in South Korea this summer.

9) He made his debut for Liverpool’s senior side in a pre-season friendly against Tranmere Rovers on July 8.

10) He was included in Liverpool’s 18-man squad for a competitive fixture for the first time in the 2-1 win at Chelsea on September 16, 2016.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23621

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:28am On Jul 05, 2017
(Photo) Official : Ex-Arsenal Winger Tella & Obafemi Sign Professional Contracts With Southampton

Former Arsenal schoolboy Nathan Tella has been rewarded for his imperious display for the youth team of Southampton, with the Premier League club offering the winger his first professional contract.
Tella, 17, joined Southampton in March following a successful trial and will be remembered by the Saints faithful in 2017 after winning the Sure Southampton FC Goal of the Month award for May.

A delighted Tella posted on social media : ''Happy to have signed my first professional contract with Southampton FC! God is great''.

Another Nigerian talent Michael Obafemi has also appended his signature to his first professional contract with Southampton.

The 16-year-old, who has born in Ireland, scored four goals for the U18 squad last season, and will be hoping to make his league debut for the U23s in the new season.

Obafemi was a member of the Soaring Eaglets squad that lost to the Nigeria U17s in a friendly in Abuja back in 2015, and was the most outstanding player for the United Kingdom based team despite being the youngest and smallest in size.

**Igho Kingsley

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23643
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:36am On Jul 05, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

If Osimhen breaks through this season as I expect and Onyekuru flourishes in Belgium, then we will have a formidable fire power attack force.

Iheanacho, Osimhen, Kayode and Henry.

I am also expecting a bang from Success. I hope he can put his injuries behind him and Victor Moses is also a dynamite forward.

IF is a very big word in football.

KC is going to have a real baptism of fire, he is no longer the new kid on the block. He is going to be leading the front line without the superb service he is use to at Manchester City.

All these players that you mention as the formidable strike force. Lets not get carried away, apart from KC possibly they are not within the top 50 strikers in the World indeed quite far from it.

They may possibly be our top prospects it doesn't make them top class players. Great players give you great expectations. Right now we do not have too many of them. So if we remain objective, realistic then we will not put over expectation on these players we have.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:36am On Jul 05, 2017
komekn:

It's not about hate and having a different opinion doesn't mean sentimental negative bias.

Exceptional strikers do exceptional things even when the service is not great. Your defence of KC and your apportioning of all the blame on the midfield is not justifiable.

Your position gives credence to the position felt by quite a few that KC lacks the ability to play as a lone striker. And as such needs a strike partner or to play as a SS.

Look at all his goals in city you hardly ever see him break from behind beat 1 or 2 players and score or have the ball played behind the defence for him to collect. He hardly ever scores with his head.

Compare his goals to Lukaku, Balotelli and or Costa and you will understand what I mean. And before you start saying hater or bias.

I did not say he is not an exceptional player just that there are some things that are not within his game.

Kelechi Iheanacho has played the nine role for City and done well. So how can you say lack the ability.

Also, the way you play with Bony upfront is not the way you play with Iheanacho upfront. Players have their different style. This is like saying because Mikel does not dazzle with the ball and does not beat 1-2 players, he can not play the attack midfield role.

When Guardiola, Vieira and Pellegrini has played Iheanacho as a top striker, I doubt we should use the term lack the ability. Every player play differently. And I repeat. The problem with SA has nothing to do with the striker. It was a midfield problem. When a player drops deep, it is when the midfield has problem getting the ball forward.

That was not the case in the South African game. People have watched the game repeatedly. If you want a tall big striker in that scenario, it means changing strategy to what you are not sure will work. What we did against South Africa worked but our final ball let them down.

A bird at hand is better than hundreds in the bush.

Why create imaginary solutions when the answer is staring you in the face. A better midfielder would have created loads of opportunities for Iheanacho. Have you not seen games where Musa gets up to three chances? This is not beat one beat two problem. That was not the case.

Maradona was a beat one beat two player and was my definition of great ten until I watched Mikel closely especially in the final game in Holland against Argentina.

Maradona was in the stadium that day and watching Mikel create wonderful art works with simple tidy neat passes made me scream. "I hope Maradona has seen how to play the ten role.

Other players might beat one beat two but will be atrocious finishing. Some might have brilliant hold up play but terrible in finishing.

Iheanacho prefers doing most of his work off the ball. Best when he touches the ball and go. Makes brilliant runs. With a midfield maestro behind him picking up his runs, we have an asset.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:39am On Jul 05, 2017
komekn:

KC is going to have a real baptism of fire, he is no longer the new kid on the block. He is going to be leading the front line without the superb service he is use to at Manchester City.

All these players that you mention as the formidable strike force. Lets not get carried away, apart from KC possibly they are not within the top 50 strikers in the World indeed quite far from it.

They may possibly be our top prospects it doesn't make them top class players. Great players give you great expectations. Right now we do not have too many of them. So if we remain objective, realistic then we will not put over expectation on these players we have.

Many players have done well without the services of City midfielers. Vardy who relies a lot on Service was outstanding without Coty midfielders.

Even your brightest English Young talents is if.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:40am On Jul 05, 2017
komekn:

No one said top class. I said they should work their socks off. Train and work hard to become great.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:43am On Jul 05, 2017
komekn:

Enough of the Balotelli. Flopped at City, Liverpool and the Italian National team. That is not my prayer for Iheanacho.

You like Balo's style. I like Nacho's off the ball play. I watch his clips repeatedly with a smile on his face. See how hard City are finding it to let him go.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:46am On Jul 05, 2017
komekn:

I did not mention any formidable strike force. Read what you quoted again. If things go as I expect.

So no need for all these talk.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 1:37am On Jul 05, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Official – Emmanuel Emenike Completes €2m Transfer To Greek Giants Olympiakos

Turkish giants Fenerbahce have announced the transfer of Nigerian striker Emmanuel Emenike to Greek super house Olympiakos for a fee in the region of 2 million euros.

Emenike has endured a torrid time at Fenerbahce especially with the fans, and at a point the striker threatened to walk out of a game due to boos from fans of his own team.

His relationship with the fans, coupled with his poor form made the team send him out on loan two seasons ago, firstly to Al-Ain of the UAE and later West Ham before his return to the team before the start of last season.

He failed to nailed down a spot in the team after a brilliant start, and was at a point in time banished from the first team before an apology lead to his reinstatement in February.

Heavily linked with a move to Ukraine side Shakhtar Donestk, Olympiakos won the race for his signature and he pen a two year deal with the Greek champions with the option of another year.

Ironically he will be replacing his former strike partner in the Nigeria national team Brown Ideye who left the team in January for Chinese side Tianjin Teda.

**Daniel Martins

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/07/03/official-emmanuel-emenike-completes-e2m-transfer-to-greek-giants-olympiakos/

Head over to China already.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 2:49am On Jul 05, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

If Osimhen breaks through this season as I expect and Onyekuru flourishes in Belgium, then we will have a formidable fire power attack force.

Iheanacho, Osimhen, Kayode and Henry.

I am also expecting a bang from Success. I hope he can put his injuries behind him and Victor Moses is also a dynamite forward.

Not forgetting the "dessers" guy too.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:59am On Jul 05, 2017
goldfish80:

Being an Afcon winner and multiple league and challenge cup winner for Rangers of that era should earn Okala in the league of the best of the era. In my opinion anyway.
Yakubu was a club man. Aghahowa was more reliable for the Super Eagles.

For Okala those multiple league wins were mostly in the late 70s.

Yakubu was not only a club man. He was the highest goals scorer for Nigeria for his era. Third overall behind Yekini and Odegbami. Yakubu reigned from the 2000 Olympics down to the 2010 WC. Aghahowa was only there as top striker from 2000- 2002 even though he and Yakubu are age mates. If you talk of reliability it was Yakubu. Aghahowa faded too early.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:06am On Jul 05, 2017
forgiveness:

*clearing throat* grin

Based on what each players bought the to the table at the National team level and club level will I chose my players.

From 1980 - 1999 no wahala.

But from 2000 - 2009

I go commot Yakubu put Aghahowa, Tijani to be replaced by Ikpeba. Kanu for John Utaka.

Why? Aghahowa was our top highest goal scorer in 2000 and 2002 Nations cup, he was among the best team of the Tournament in 2002 and joint top scorer of the Tournament. Gbam.

Ikpeba was part of the 1994 Africa cup of Nations winning team, he also contributed at the 2000 Nations cup were we got to the final (he no miss d penalty oooo, na ojoro Cameroon take win), he helped Monaco to win the league and contributed to the underage Olympics. grin

John Utaka na em biko. grin

*clearing throat*..

2010 to date grin

Commot Ike put Martins Obafemi. grin

We all saw how one legged Martins singlehandedly qualified us for the world cup. He's still very much available for selection. grin

In addition, I go commot Obaobona for Danny Shittu

Who scored more goals for Nigeria between Yakubu and Aghohowa.

Ikpeba belong to the 90s generation. I didn't even include Oliseh who Played in the 2002AFCON to the 2000-2009 list. The Olympics you talk about for Ikpeba was in the 90s na.

How on earth can you replace Nwankwo Kanu with John Utaka?

Martins belongs to the 2000-2009 class.
Which tournaments has he taken part in from 2010 to date?

I still stick to Obaobona ahead of Shitu. How many caps did shitu have for Nigeria and what did he achieve?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 6:08am On Jul 05, 2017
Icon4s:

I understand your argument. But for replacement of the yak with Aghahowa remember the period of consideration is for 10 years. Yakubu during this period emerged 2nd highest scoring Super Eagles player of all time. And he was also the highest scoring African player in the EPL before being over taken by Didier Drogba. So I think he deserves the best striker of that decade award.

As for Obaobona replacing Balogun, honestly it was a tough one for me to decide between the two. Oboabona had a good spell between 2013 and 2014 but Balogun IMO has a stronger influence on the back line than Obaobona did.

However if you say Obaobona deserves the spot I still agree with you.
I see your reasons for picking Yak, but we are talking National team achievement so his epl records won't be considered, Aghawonder was very decisive for us in two tournaments I think he was even the top scorer at 2002 afcon. Yak scored goals alright but I can't even remember him scoring important and decisive goals for us.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:30am On Jul 05, 2017
jihday:
I see your reasons for picking Yak, but we are talking National team achievement so his epl records won't be considered, Aghawonder was very decisive for us in two tournaments I think he was even the top scorer at 2002 afcon. Yak scored goals alright but I can't even remember him scoring important and decisive goals for us.
I will go wit your assertion....
aghahowa was super for the few years he reigned... I remember Nigeria only goal in 2002 Japan/korea 2002 world cup was scored by him...against Sweden..
though we eventually lost that match....
against Senegal... in 2002 afcon after the Senegalese pull one in...he likewise came to the rescue wit two goals.....he was indeed a wonder
moreover yak precedent wit the national team is not so good remember Tunisia 2004..him agali and one other naughty player broke camp rules...
I will even prefer osaze be included on that list...the young man was one of the most dedicated Nigerian player prior his rifts wit keshi...he achieved much wit the Olympic team...and also played a vital role in 2004 and 2010 afcon I think.....the one we played Mozambique and won 3 nil I really can't remember much
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:20am On Jul 05, 2017
Icon4s:

For Okala those multiple league wins were mostly in the late 70s.

Yakubu was not only a club man. He was the highest goals scorer for Nigeria for his era. Second overall behind Yekini. Yakubu reigned from the 2000 Olympics down to the 2010 WC. Aghahowa was only there as top striker from 2000- 2002 even though he and Yakubu are age mates. If you talk of reliability it was Yakubu. Aghahowa faded too early.

Segun Odegbami is the second overall goal scorer for Nigeria behind Yekini while Yakubu is the 3rd.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:58am On Jul 05, 2017
Icon4s:

Who scored more goals for Nigeria between Yakubu and Aghohowa.

Ikpeba belong to the 90s generation. I didn't even include Oliseh who Played in the 2002AFCON to the 2000-2009 list. The Olympics you talk about for Ikpeba was in the 90s na.

How on earth can you replace Nwankwo Kanu with John Utaka?

Martins belongs to the 2000-2009 class.
Which tournaments has he taken part in from 2010 to date?

I still stick to Obaobona ahead of Shitu. How many caps did shitu have for Nigeria and what did he achieve?

Yak scored 21 out of 58 matches which goal ratio is 0.36 while Aghahowa scored 14 goals in 31 matches, a goal ratio of 0.45.

As you can see, Aghahowa's goal ratio is better than Yakubu and Aghahowa goals were crucial.

Ikpeba played from 1994 till 2002. Therefore, he is very much qualified to be included in 2000 - 2009 because he was effective in 2000 AFCON.

Wetin Kanu do for National team? Nada.

Martins played in the 2010 AFCON and 2010 FIFA world cup.

Danny Shittu had 32 caps.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:10am On Jul 05, 2017
goldfish80:

I don't believe that our midfield was over ran. Before South Africa scored,they barely found a way out of their own half. Our midfield dominated so much that the commentators were happy that South Africa held us to a goalless draw at half time.
When the team went a goal down,they panicked and lost shape probably due to inexperience. Let's get our facts right.

Yes, I still maintain that Etebo could be deployed as a false 9. He started out at Warri wolves as a striker and last season in some Fierence games I followed he played as a striker in the later stages of the league.
What he lacks in height, he certainly packs in good measure with strenght and intensity which can take out the Camerounians. Why are you guys afraid of having Kelechi play as a second striker? Is there something I'm not getting?

With better luck they beat us silly in Uyo. We lost our way in the second half..

What's funny is that at first u wanted Etebo as a SS but now it's false 9 abi? I had said Iheanacho should play SS months ago and I even gave numbers to back it up so I don't get where u are coming from.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1191) (1192) (1193) (1194) (1195) (1196) (1197) ... (16527) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89, Emmy450(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.