Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,655 members, 7,924,160 topics. Date: Sunday, 18 August 2024 at 02:14 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1196) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12268878 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1193) (1194) (1195) (1196) (1197) (1198) (1199) ... (16527) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:58pm On Jul 05, 2017
nice one boss taking us down memory lane now down to business.

your generation of 80s and 90s super eagles best XI is spot on.

for the 2000s i would go for martins, utaka, aghahowa, danny shittu to replace yakubu, osaze, taribo west and tijani babangida

for 2010 till present i would replace musa with sunday mba. sadly i would retain your backline. so we can't find anyone better than elderson?shout out to ambrose was really good as a makeshift right back. think balogun and ndidi will soon overtake oboabona and onazi respectively.

my composite greatest super eagles from all the generations mentioned would be as follows

vincent enyeama
ben iroha
chidi odiah
uche okechukwu
stephen keshi
sunday oliseh
john obi mikel
jay jay okocha
finidi george
segun odegbami
rashidi yekini

bench: rufai, taribo west, yobo, chidi nwanu, celestine babayaro, muda lawal, mutiu adepoju, sam okwaraji, amokachi, kanu, martins, amunike, victor moses

formation: 4-3-3

coach: westerhof

Icon4s:
4 Generations of the Green Eagles/Super Eagles from the 1980s to present.

This write up is aimed at selecting the best 11 from each of the generations of Eagles.

I have grouped the 4 generations into 4 different decades: 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s(present)

Taking our minds down Memory Lane a bit, some may have to cast our minds farther than others. But which ever generation you belong your team will be captured.

With the emergence of Enugu Rangers and IICC as formidable forces in the mid to late 70s both in Nigeria and Africa, Nigeria was able to produce a formidable team that finished 3rd at the 1978 AFCON and ended up with a crescendo by winning the 1980 AFCON (then called the African Cup of Unity). That was the birth of Nigeria's dominance of football in Africa.

From 1980 to 1989 this is my first 11:

Peter Rufai
Bright Omokaro
Christian Chukwu
Stephen Keshi
Yisa Shofoluwe
Muda Lawal
Henry Nwosu
Samuel Okwaraji
Segun Odegbami
Adokiye Amiesimaka
Rashidi Yekini

With the Green Eagles of Algiers 90 nations cup came a new era of Nigerian football. Some of the players in the team of the 80s had become the senior players of the team. This era saw us dominate football in Africa and at a time ranked 5th in the world, highest for any African team ever. Also winning the AFCON in 1994.

My first 11 from the 1990 to 1999:

Peter Rufai
Ben Iroha
Uche Okechukwu
Stephen Keshi
Augustine Eguavoen
Sunday Oliseh
Austin Okocha
Emmanuel Amuneke
Finidi George
Daniel Amokachi
Rashidi Yekini

With Nigeria producing so many quality youth players in the 1990s both at the U17 and U20. Including winning the Olympics in 1996 and a q/final showing in 2000. A new generation of Eagles emerged. Some others joined from the 2003 U17 and 2005 U20. Some of the players from the 90s had become senior players in the team.

My first 11 for 2000 to 2009:

Vincent Enyeama
Taye Taiwo
Joseph Yobo
Taribo West
Chidi Odiah
Garba Lawal
Austin Okocha
Osaze Odemwingie
Tijani Babangida
Nwankwo Kanu
Yakubu Ayegbeni

The 2010 WC saw the end of a good number of the players of the 2000s. Some retired even before then.
The super eagles would had to depend mostly on the players who featured at the 2003 U17, 2005 U20, 2007 U20, 2008 U23 and 2009 U17 to carry the team further. This culminated in the team wining the AFCON in 2013. Nigeria continued to turn out quality youth players from the 2011 U20, 2013 U20, 2013 U17, 2015 U20 and 2015 U17.

My first 11 from 2010 to date:

Vincent Enyeama
Elderson Echiejile
Kenneth Omeruo
Godfrey Obaobona
Efe Ambrose
Ogenyi Onazi
John Obi Mikel
Victor Moses
Ahmed Musa
Ikechukwu Uche
Emmanuel Emenike

These are strictly my opinion. You are free to criticize or agree on any generation. Who is on my side on this one?

cc: enomakos, Kog45, komekn, forgiveness, TheGoodjoe, Michael2, Goldfish80, tbaba1234, Joseph1013, petrobros, Bascovanveli, safarigirl, TheSuperNerd, Joebie, chrisoblog, loogan, do4luv14, icon79 etc.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:11pm On Jul 05, 2017
In your first XI 4-3-3.... you have to choose between Finidi and Odegbami.... wink

Both are predominantly right wingers/RWFs.

You have no left winger/LWF in that team lineup.

Hope you get me Sir.... smiley

chrisooblog:

for the 2000s i would go for martins, utaka, aghahowa, danny shittu to replace yakubu, osaze, taribo west and tijani babangida

for 2010 till present i would replace musa with sunday mba. sadly i would retain your backline. so we can't find anyone better than elderson?shout out to ambrose was really good as a makeshift right back. think balogun and ndidi will soon overtake oboabona and onazi respectively.

my composite greatest super eagles from all the generations mentioned would be as follows

vincent enyeama
ben iroha
chidi odiah
uche okechukwu
stephen keshi
sunday oliseh
john obi mikel
jay jay okocha
finidi george
segun odegbami
rashidi yekini

bench: rufai, taribo west, yobo, chidi nwanu, celestine babayaro, muda lawal, mutiu adepoju, sam okwaraji, amokachi, kanu, martins, amunike, victor moses

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:17pm On Jul 05, 2017
Awaziem & Porto Keep Ex Leicester City Manager Ranieri Waiting As Kayembe Completes Switch

Highly rated FC Porto B team winger Joris Kayembe has completed his transfer to French side Nantes as agreed with Porto when the manager of the French side Sergio Conceicao crossed over to the Portuguese giants.

It was agreed that for Conceicao to take over the reins at Porto, Nantes asked for the duo of Kayembe and Nigerian defender Chidozie Awaziem to move in the opposite direction.

However while the deal for Kayembe is an outright sale, Awaziem’s move which was supposed to be a season long loan deal is still hanging in the balance with Porto reluctant to release the 20 year old.

Awaziem has been identified by new coach of Nantes Claudio Ranieri as the man to plug the hole in the defence of Nantes, but the newly capped Nigeria international is still having talks with Porto.

Porto summoned Awaziem to Portugal instead of allowing him travel direct to France from Nigeria, and reports reaching Owngoalnigeria.com editorial desk has it that Porto are considering pulling the plug on the deal.

The Portuguese giants have resumed pre season training with Awaziem no where in sight with the first team or B team as talks continue on the possibility of his imminent switch to the French side.

**Daniel Martins

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/07/05/awaziem-porto-keep-ex-leicester-city-manager-ranieri-waiting-as-kayembe-completes-switch/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 4:24pm On Jul 05, 2017
true but finidi could also operate from the left. remember france 98 the only goal we scored against denmark finidi assisted babangida from the left side. i just think the dribbling skills, finishing and speed of the front three will be too much to handle but if i'm forced to drop someone i will reluctantly drop odegbami for amunike

TheSuperNerd:
In your first XI 4-3-3.... you have to choose between Finidi and Odegbami.... wink

Both are predominantly right wingers/RWFs.

You have no left winger/LWF in that team lineup.

Hope you get me Sir.... smiley

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:04pm On Jul 05, 2017
Lens Yet To Decide On Trialist Lukman Haruna Despite Scoring Streak In Trial Games

French Ligue 1 side have allayed injury fears over their trialist Lukman Haruna who took a blow to his tibia before rifling home the resultant free kick to hand them a 2-1 pre season win over Avranches in a pre season game.

The club confirmed the kick wasn’t bad as earlier feared and the 26 year old won’t be needing time on the sidelines as their pre seasons preparations hots up.

Lens also confirmed that a decision is yet to be reached on awarding the former Monaco teenager a deal despite his goals in back to back pre season games.

Haruna will continue to push his case for a deal in training with the first team while the club will decide on offering him a deal or not on their return to their home city.

Once viewed as a future captain of the national team of Nigeria, Haruna is trying to bring his career back on track after losing his spot at Ukrainian side Dynamo Kiev, no thanks to a long term injury he picked up two seasons ago.

**Daniel Martins

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/07/05/lens-yet-to-decide-on-trialist-lukman-haruna-despite-scoring-streak-in-trial-games/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:09pm On Jul 05, 2017
Gent Turn Down Bursaspor Bid For Super Eagles Defender William Troost-Ekong

Belgium Europa League campaigners Gent have turned down a bid from Turkish side Bursaspor for their Nigerian defender William Troost-Ekong.

As reported by this portal Ekong has agreed personal terms with the Turkish side, but a transfer fee is yet to be agreed with Gent where he spent the last six months of last season after his return from an 18 months loan to Norwegian side FK Haugesund.

Gent are reportedly unwilling to listen to listen to the offer from the Turkish side as the player is still very much a part of the manager’s team for next season despite the summer arrival of two more central defenders.

Troost-Ekong has one year to run on his current deal and if Gent fail to reach an agreement for his transfer the 23 year old will in six months time be free to discuss with other teams in view of a move next summer.

Although he wasn’t much a regular last season, Gent are said to be willing to hang on to him as he is a Nigerian international and a superb showing at the World Cup next year, if Nigeria manages to qualify will no doubt enhance his marketability.

**Daniel Martins

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/07/05/gent-turn-down-bursaspor-bid-for-super-eagles-defender-william-troost-ekong/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:16pm On Jul 05, 2017
Chelsea & Swansea Fans Will Be Impressed : Tammy Abraham Showing Off His Skills

Following on from the confirmation of Chelsea's Tammy Abraham joining Swansea City on loan we thought you might be interested in FFDTV Online's video with Tammy as the striker demonstrates some of his impressive skills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpfETRfiSrw .

Abraham's proficiency in front of goal has been clear for fans to see as his finishing, movement and striking instincts were on display last season as the striker enjoyed a prolific 16/17 campaign where he scored 23 goals in the league and 26 overall for Bristol City.

He was also named EFL Young Player of the Month for September and ended the season as the highest scoring teenager in England's top four divisions.

Abraham was also reportedly wanted by numerous other clubs such as Leicester, Brighton and Newcastle United.

**Igho Kingsley
Photo Credit : bcfc.co.uk

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23650

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:20pm On Jul 05, 2017
Highly-Rated Nigerian Wing-Back Set To Be Promoted By Arsenal

Allnigeriasoccer.com understands that the highly-rated Nigerian defender Tolaji Bola is set to be promoted by Premier League club Arsenal in the forthcoming season.

Born January 4, 1999 in London, Bola will no longer be eligible to represent the Gunners U18s squad during the 2017-2018 campaign, and will only be utilized for the U23s and first team.

Last season, the left wing-back and central defender recorded 22 appearances for Arsenal U18s squad, scoring one goal.

The Hale End Academy product penned his first professional contract at Arsenal shortly after he celebrated his 17th birthday in January 2016.

Tolaji Bola has caps for England at U16, U17 and U18 level.

**Igho Kingsley
Photo Credit : arsenal.com

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23652
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 5:43pm On Jul 05, 2017
Obviously, like most of us, you started following Super Eagles in late '90s judging by your post. I have warned you guys before not to make these comparison across different eras post without watching the tapes of the eras you wanna compare.

First of all, you can't include both Segun Odegbami and Finidi George on the same team because they played the same position (7).
Secondly, it's absurd not to include the legendary Chairman Christian Chukwu on your all time list. Absolutely absurd!
Thirdly, to select Chidi Odiah ahead of Dean of Defence, Yisa Shofoluwe is a crime!
Fourthly, any Nigerian all time selection that omits names like (either as starters or on the bench): Henry Nwosu, Adokiye Amasiemeka, Okey Isima, and Emmanuel Okala is boshit!

O pari

chrisooblog:

vincent enyeama
ben iroha
chidi odiah
uche okechukwu
stephen keshi
sunday oliseh
john obi mikel
jay jay okocha
finidi george
segun odegbami
rashidi yekini

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 6:08pm On Jul 05, 2017
chrisooblog:

vincent enyeama
ben iroha
chidi odiah
uche okechukwu
stephen keshi
sunday oliseh
john obi mikel
jay jay okocha
finidi george
segun odegbami
rashidi yekini

y nobody remember sweeper, IFEANYI UDEZE, the guy belongs to the 2000s set
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 6:43pm On Jul 05, 2017
Icon79:
Obviously, like most of us, you started following Super Eagles in late '90s judging by your post. I have warned you guys before not to make these comparison across different eras post without watch the tapes of the eras you wanna compare.

First of all, you can't include both Segun Odegbami and Finidi George on the same team because they played the same position (7).
Secondly, it's absurd not to include the legendary Chairman Christian Chukwu on your all time list. Absolutely absurd!
Thirdly, to select Chidi Odiah ahead of Dean of Defence, Yisa Shofoluwe is a crime!
Fourthly, any Nigerian all time selection that omits names like (either as starters or on the bench): Henry Nwosu, Adokiye Amasiemeka, Okey Isima, and Emmanuel Okala is boshit!

O pari

bro with due respect I'm aware of the exploits of the ex players you mentioned but most of them shined in the 70s and early 80s. If there was a list for 70s players all of the guys you mentioned would dominate it. Like I told supernerd finidi Could play the left wing role while odegbami as good as he was on the left wing was even better as a forward in the Ronaldo mode.

Another major points is that a lot of those players you mentioned didn't qualify Nigeria for the World Cup but most of the ones on my list won the AFCON and qualified Nigeria for the World Cup
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:57pm On Jul 05, 2017
chrisooblog:

vincent enyeama
ben iroha
chidi odiah
uche okechukwu
stephen keshi
sunday oliseh
john obi mikel
jay jay okocha
finidi george
segun odegbami
rashidi yekini

firstly for the Aghahowa, Martins, Yakubu debate we have gone through it all night till today. You may just do a simple read up of my points on that.

And Replacement of Taribo West with Danny Shittu, did you guys watch Taribo West play at all?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:07pm On Jul 05, 2017
Icon79:
Obviously, like most of us, you started following Super Eagles in late '90s judging by your post. I have warned you guys before not to make these comparison across different eras post without watch the tapes of the eras you wanna compare.

O pari

Tell him bro.

I so much loved that guy called Yisa Shofoluwe. He IMO was the first modern RB we had. You will almost think he was a winger. He kept Eguavoen on the bench at Maroc '88 AFCON. Yisa I think took off where his predecessor, Tunde Bamidele stopped.

As for Okay Isima, tall and lanky CB. He was the "ball player " of that defence of the early 80s.Keshi took over from him ahead of the 1984 AFCON. I had to chose between him and Stephen Keshi. And you know Keshi will take the day.

Emma Okala. Fantastic goalie. But I will put him more with the class of the 70s. His last tournament was Nigeria 1980 AFCON. Best Ogedengbe was in goal in 1982. But Peter Rufai took over from 1983 and to the rest of the 80s. Rufai has it for the 80s for me.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:20pm On Jul 05, 2017
do4luv14:

y nobody remember sweeper, IFEANYI UDEZE, the guy belongs to the 2000s set

Ifeanyi Udeze was the Transition between Babayaro and Taye Taiwo.

His career suffered a blow with his multiple injuries and lose of his Dad.

Celestine Babayaro. Why he didn't make my list is because he played in both the 90s and 2000s era. Points with which to judge him in the 90s against Iroha was not enough and also points with which to compare him with Taye Taiwo in the 2000s were not enough to rate him above Taiwo.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 7:27pm On Jul 05, 2017
Icon4s:

firstly for the Aghahowa, Martins, Yakubu debate we have gone through it all night till today. You may just do a simple read up of my points on that.

And Replacement of Taribo West with Danny Shittu, did you guys watch Taribo West play at all?
yes I saw your points raised during the striker debate of the 2000s and are duly noted. Yes taribo was a good defender at his peak better than shittu but by the early 2000s he was experiencing diminishing returns. I feel shittu's optimal performance slightly surpassed West's for that era
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:29pm On Jul 05, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Highly-Rated Nigerian Wing-Back Set To Be Promoted By Arsenal

Allnigeriasoccer.com understands that the highly-rated Nigerian defender Tolaji Bola is set to be promoted by Premier League club Arsenal in the forthcoming season.

Born January 4, 1999 in London, Bola will no longer be eligible to represent the Gunners U18s squad during the 2017-2018 campaign, and will only be utilized for the U23s and first team.

Last season, the left wing-back and central defender recorded 22 appearances for Arsenal U18s squad, scoring one goal.

The Hale End Academy product penned his first professional contract at Arsenal shortly after he celebrated his 17th birthday in January 2016.

Tolaji Bola has caps for England at U16, U17 and U18 level.

**Igho Kingsley
Photo Credit : arsenal.com

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23652
hope he gets to play for England too
I think it is high time...these journalist stop reporting these lads to us as Nigerians...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:31pm On Jul 05, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Gent Turn Down Bursaspor Bid For Super Eagles Defender William Troost-Ekong

Belgium Europa League campaigners Gent have turned down a bid from Turkish side Bursaspor for their Nigerian defender William Troost-Ekong.

As reported by this portal Ekong has agreed personal terms with the Turkish side, but a transfer fee is yet to be agreed with Gent where he spent the last six months of last season after his return from an 18 months loan to Norwegian side FK Haugesund.

Gent are reportedly unwilling to listen to listen to the offer from the Turkish side as the player is still very much a part of the manager’s team for next season despite the summer arrival of two more central defenders.

Troost-Ekong has one year to run on his current deal and if Gent fail to reach an agreement for his transfer the 23 year old will in six months time be free to discuss with other teams in view of a move next summer.

Although he wasn’t much a regular last season, Gent are said to be willing to hang on to him as he is a Nigerian international and a superb showing at the World Cup next year, if Nigeria manages to qualify will no doubt enhance his marketability.

**Daniel Martins

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/07/05/gent-turn-down-bursaspor-bid-for-super-eagles-defender-william-troost-ekong/
God bless Gent for turning down the moves...
sometimes I wonder how these Turkish clubs manage to wine these boys.....
I never rate that league highly
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:59pm On Jul 05, 2017
[s quote author=chrisooblog post=58159812] yes I saw your points raised during the striker debate of the 2000s and are duly noted. Yes taribo was a good defender at his peak better than shittu but by the early 2000s he was experiencing diminishing returns. I feel shittu's optimal performance slightly surpassed West's for that era[/quote]

Taribo west was Nigeria's best defender at the 2002 WC. He was also outstanding at the 2000 and 2002 AFCON. That was when he earned the nick name 'dependable defender'. Shittu's impact from the late 2000s cannot be compared with that of Taribo West of the early 2000s. Recall Shittu's nightmarish 2010 WC.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:01pm On Jul 05, 2017
Icon4s:

Firstly, I hope you know 2010 WC and AFCON qualifiers ended in 2009? So that doesn't count for the next decade.

2. Ikpeba did not feature as a winger for the Super Eagles he was a striker while Tijani was a winger. So this is simple as comparing apple with orange.

Without 2009 WC and AFCON qualifiers no 2010 WC and AFCON. Even FIFA recognized his contribution hence the continuous preview of his goals during the world cup.

2, he did.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:06pm On Jul 05, 2017
forgiveness:

Without 2009 WC and AFCON qualifiers no 2010 WC and AFCON. Even FIFA recognized his contribution hence the continuous preview of his goals during the world cup.

2, he did.

You can see yourself shifting the goal post again.
The classification was for 2000 - 2009 and 2010 - Recent. In the course of accommodating Martins you have shifted the 2010 era to start from 2009. Na wa o.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:08pm On Jul 05, 2017
forgiveness:

2, he did.

When did Ikpeba feature as a winger for the Super Eagles?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:11pm On Jul 05, 2017
forgiveness:

2, he did.

That your second sentence from your first paragraph na wa o. (In Emmanuela's voice) Uncle you can lie?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 8:22pm On Jul 05, 2017
Icon4s:

For Okala those multiple league wins were mostly in the late 70s.

Yakubu was not only a club man. He was the highest goals scorer for Nigeria for his era. Second overall behind Yekini. Yakubu reigned from the 2000 Olympics down to the 2010 WC. Aghahowa was only there as top striker from 2000- 2002 even though he and Yakubu are age mates. If you talk of reliability it was Yakubu. Aghahowa faded too early.
I agreed with you about yakubu
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:28pm On Jul 05, 2017
enomakos:
I agreed with you about yakubu

I just tire.

Just because of that singular 2010WC miss they have chosen to discard all other contributions the Yak! made to the national team.

What of the Yekini's miss that would have made it 4-2 against Spain at the 1998 WC? Pardoned probably because we still went ahead to win that game. Will I now because of that diminish all Yekini's previous contributions to the national team?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 8:40pm On Jul 05, 2017
komekn:

Danny Shittu in my opinion outside of Yobo was our best defender of that era. Even Yobo will concede he was his best defensive partner ask him if you like.

He was treated abysmally my the inept clueless Owen Coyle and even the other Bolton manager. I really felt it for him absolutely a top dude, got time for everybody down to earth and hard working focused professional.

He opted out if the national team he simply couldn't afford it. Having all kinds of trouble securing a contract. He went on to win the best Center Half in the championship for Millwall.

Big but almost incomprehensibly fast for such a big guy.
where is big danny these days?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 8:51pm On Jul 05, 2017
Icon4s:
[s quote author=chrisooblog post=58159812] yes I saw your points raised during the striker debate of the 2000s and are duly noted. Yes taribo was a good defender at his peak better than shittu but by the early 2000s he was experiencing diminishing returns. I feel shittu's optimal performance slightly surpassed West's for that era

Taribo west was Nigeria's best defender at the 2002 WC. He was also outstanding at the 2000 and 2002 AFCON. That was when he earned the nick name 'dependable defender'. Shittu's impact from the late 2000s cannot be compared with that of Taribo West of the early 2000s. Recall Shittu's nightmarish 2010 WC.
Well like I said before I'm not saying west wasn't the better defender but if his output for that era was more than shittu's. West was the best defender at 2002 WC yet the two matches he played we conceded the one he missed clean sheet. Anyway we all have our preferences great work with the list
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:51pm On Jul 05, 2017
komekn:

You are misusing statistics to misrepresent the players true ability and capability.

KC has played 64 games and scored 21 goals in the EPL. This season 2016/17 he scored 7 goals from 29 games. That is the material statistic not the ratio of minutes played to goals scored.

It is misleading the thread giving an attribute that is far from true. Furthermore, you are using two units of measurement one for KC and another for everyone else based on goals scored.

That is a double standard intended to mislead.

KC is an excellent striker no doubt but he is not the best in the EPL as you put it. He is considerably far from that, this is over hype keep things objective.

Let's inform and not decieve ourselves.

Jeez. Did you really type the bolded? You just fell my hand big time. See as I am shocking. shocked

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 8:58pm On Jul 05, 2017
Icon4s:

I just tire.

Just because of that singular 2010WC miss they have chosen to discard all other contributions the Yak! made to the national team.

What of the Yekini's miss that would have made it 4-2 against Spain at the 1998 WC? Pardoned probably because we still went ahead to win that game. Will I now because of that diminish all Yekini's previous contributions to the national team?
I just tire too,I just didn't understand some Nigerians
Roberto baggio ,bebeto and even romario have miss chance like the one yakubu did

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:00pm On Jul 05, 2017
komekn,

Please, goals scored per minute shows how many goals the player has scored with respect to the amount of time he has played. Will you call a player playing 1 minute before the referee blow the whistle as a valid appearance to determine the quality of a player.

If a player plays 90 minutes in a game, it is recorded as an appearance.
If another plays 2 minutes, it is also recorded as an appearance.

How can you say appearance is the material statistics. That statement even defies common sense.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:11pm On Jul 05, 2017
Sir GoodJoe.... sorry to say this.... but Sir Komekn speaks like one who has very poor knowledge of statistics... orrrrr.... he is deliberately dodging the actual truth about what Nacho's Super stats say or about TalkSport UK's stats on the EPL's best XI based on "just stats".

In either case..... he is obviously deluded and being very evasive of the truth. Everyone wanna keep things polite.... but sorry... not me. Not when He and his gang keeps coming up with preposterous comments that lacks intelligence.

TheGoodJoe:
komekn,

Please, goals scored per minute shows how many goals the player has scored with respect to the amount of time he has played. Will you call a player playing 1 minute before the referee blow the whistle as a valid appearance to determine the quality of a player.

If a player plays 90 minutes in a game, it is recorded as an appearance.
If another plays 2 minutes, it is also recorded as an appearance.

How can you say appearance is the material statistics. That statement even defies common sense.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:13pm On Jul 05, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Sir GoodJoe.... sorry to say this.... but Sir Komekn speaks like one who has very poor knowledge of statistics... orrrrr.... he is deliberately dodging the actual truth about what Nacho's Super stats say.

In either... he is obviously deluded. Everyone wanna keep things polite.... but sorry... not me. Not when He and his gang keeps coming up with preposterous comments that lacks intelligence.

I do not believe komekn's nationality anymore. It is clear he is on a negative agenda here. I am being frank.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:27pm On Jul 05, 2017
I don't bloody care what his agenda is.... but if he thinks he can come here and spew some heavy trash all coated in between making some remarkable and intelligent comments.... then he is lost... I will not condone such.

If Moussa Dembele had Nacho's stats in the EPL, Sir Komekn will not, and I repeat... WILL NOT stop drumming it in our ears that Dembele is Quality and Clinical and all that...

He repeatedly ignores what the stats are trying to tell us....

The stats obviously don't tell the full story but they do tell us that Nacho is the deadliest and most clinical striker in EPL history right now.

The stats do not say he is the best.... the stats do not say he is super awesome or far better than Aguero, Kane, lukaku... nooooo...

The stats just tells us that when it comes to putting the ball in the back of the net in limited time or quick succession... Nacho is king. It tells us of his Clinical quality... not his all-round quality.

But Sir Komekn waters that down and tells us he played 64games (as if even half of them were 90mins)... like seriously... it is 64appearances... all with varying time scales. Some games can be 90, others 46, More can be 5-10.... and the stats lords of the EPL take this into account and tell us that Nacho is more clinical and he wanna act like he doesn't know what they are talking about.

He is feigning ignorance to the truth. Sir Komekn..... better stop towing that silly line.... it is damn irritating and unintelligent. Very disappointing coming from a guy like you involved directly in the game. I mean it!

TheGoodJoe:

I do not believe komekn's nationality anymore. It is clear he is on a negative agenda here. I am being frank.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1193) (1194) (1195) (1196) (1197) (1198) (1199) ... (16527) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: benji93 and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.