Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,737 members, 7,875,850 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 11:16 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1255) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12000768 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1252) (1253) (1254) (1255) (1256) (1257) (1258) ... (16398) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:10pm On Aug 06, 2017
do4luv14:

thnkz, ma bro from anoda mum cool cool
welcome cheesy moses don score ooo grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:00pm On Aug 06, 2017
He could've gone for goal himself but, as the new kid on the block, I think he took the right option.

O pari

Joebie:
Iheanacho Tees Up Leicester City Winner But Goes Off Injured In Debut Game For Leicester
August 4, 2017011 thanks @ bengine

Leicester City recovered from a goal down to beat German Bundesliga side Borrusia Monchenglabach 2-1 at the King Power stadium in their final warm up before the start of the season in England.

Borrusia Monchenglabach took a second half lead when Thorgan Hazard gave them the lead, but Leicester City drew level through Jamie Vardy who rifled home a sweet volley off a well weighted over the top pass.

Coach Craig Shakespeare handed a debut to big money buy Kelechi Iheanacho ‎, and the Nigeria wasted no time in making his presence felt by supplying the fine pass to Vardy to double the Foxes lead.

However minutes after the assist he was substituted after picking up a knock 15 minutes from full time, although the way he trudged off the pitch will soften any fear of a lengthy spell on the sideline.

Michael James

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNRH-N61Bls
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:18pm On Aug 06, 2017
I guess Stephen Odey is not in Sweden.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:25pm On Aug 06, 2017
Awaziem had a good debut for Nantes in Ligue 1. Came on for the last 15 minutes and played pretty well. His team was already 3:0 down though.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:33pm On Aug 06, 2017
Watching Odey an MFM battle Enyimba. So Odey did not abscond after all. 9ja reporters !!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:44pm On Aug 06, 2017
JUPILER LEAGUE UPDATE

Gent go two rounds without a point after losing to visiting Antwerp. Moses Simon was conspicuously missing in Gent's line up. However Anderson Esiti made his first start this season for Gent and later made way for Kalu in the 46th minute.

Onyekuru to make his league debut for Anderlecht as he is in their starting line up. But Joseph Akpala will start from Oostende's bench as they take on the Belgian Champs away.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:02pm On Aug 06, 2017
Obasi with a brace. If not for Injury, this guy could have become a star.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by whizola: 6:39pm On Aug 06, 2017
Onyekuru's shot is spilled by the goalkeeper and Sofiane Hanni puts Anderlecht ahead with the rebound.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:39pm On Aug 06, 2017
tbaba1234:
Obasi with a brace. If not for Injury, this guy could have become a star.

Team #RecallTheOldies over to you guys. Lol.

I so much believed in this guy.
I thought he would be almost at par with Mikel in terms of development. But this is good old football.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:01pm On Aug 06, 2017
Na injury issues na. No be Chelsea Mikel dey almost all he career. Did he really make SIGNIFICANT improvement (development)? Talk true o whether u like Mikel ir not.

Icon4s:

Team #RecallTheOldies over to you guys. Lol.

I so much believed in this guy.
I thought he would be almost at par with Mikel in terms of development. But this is good old football.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:53pm On Aug 06, 2017
Joebie:
Na injury issues na. No be Chelsea Mikel dey almost all he career. Did he really make SIGNIFICANT improvement (development)? Talk true o whether u like Mikel ir not.

Mikel developed. He just did not develop the way people wanted. He developed his defensive skills.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 8:39pm On Aug 06, 2017
whizola:
Onyekuru's shot is spilled by the goalkeeper and Sofiane Hanni puts Anderlecht ahead with the rebound.

One assist.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:00pm On Aug 06, 2017
Another goal for Bonaventure, 3 goals in 2 games.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 9:10pm On Aug 06, 2017
tbaba1234:
Another goal for Bonaventure, 3 goals in 2 games.

hmmm,hope that ROHR is watching dis guy shaaa
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:16pm On Aug 06, 2017
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
HT 0-0. Wow! We got one(Henry Onyekuru) folks. A very good one! He was easily the best offensive player on the field in the first 45min. I was especially impressed with his much improved sense of positioning and ability to track back and help the defense. When he has the ball at his feet running at defenders is when he's most effective. Oostende really had no options but to foul him in dangerous places a few times. Too bad Anderlecht doesn't have players at the top level that can help him create because he's a class player. Needs to get stronger though. Let's hope he has an even better 2nd half.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:24pm On Aug 06, 2017
Maybe I read too much into the statement. For me it's was a role switch that worked and that he maintained over those years. e.g Moses from winger to right-wing-back. More of a momentary thing to me. Not like he was adding more and more defensive skills over the years.

tbaba1234:

Mikel developed. He just did not develop the way people wanted. He developed his defensive skills.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:33pm On Aug 06, 2017
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:42pm On Aug 06, 2017
Some clubs are notorious like Rijeka

Exclusive – Rijeka Pull Plug On Theophilus Solomon Proposed Loan Move To Gent
August 6, 2017015

Croatian side HNK Rijeka have vetoed the proposed loan move of Nigerian forward Theophilus Solomon to Belgium side Gent, Owngoalnigeria.com can exclusively reveal.

Solomon was due to arrive in Belgium on Friday after getting his visa but he was informed by his agent same day about Rijeka decision to pull out of the deal due to difference in valuation of the fee for his loan.

Solomon was voted among the best player in the league last season after distinguishing himself for modest league side Istra where he spent last season on loan from Rijeka.

Gent made the forward turn down a move to fellow Belgium side Lokeren but despite agreeing a one year loan deal with Rijeka, both teams failed to reach a compromise on a fee for his loan plus his future transfer.

” The deal is not happening anymore. Rijeka have pulled the plug on the move. They want him to play for them but that won’t happen, because he has told them he want to leave Croatia “, Kaduna based journalist Mohammed Mowiz Suleiman said‎.

” Gent failed to meet up with the demands of Rijeka, although you can’t fault them because they already have a deal in place before the increase in fee by Rijeka. For now he is yet to decide on his next move.

” There are offers on ground for him from Europe and a top and very rich team in Africa but nothing has been decided yet, and any potential move will depend on Rijeka because he still has a contract with them”, Mowiz said during his live programme on Liberty Radio 91.7fm.

-- OwnGoalNigeria
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:48pm On Aug 06, 2017
Should have been loaned to one of the Turkish giants or back to Russia

Leicester City Star Ahmed Musa Proposed Loan Move To Hull City Gather Pace
August 6, 2017022

The arrival of Kelechi Iheanacho at Leicester City has lead to increase in speculation linking fellow Nigerian forward Ahmed Musa with a move away to Hull City on loan.

Musa was sparingly used by coach Craig Shakespeare who took over from Claudio Ranieri last season, and the arrival of Iheanacho means the manager now has more options in the role where Musa plays.

Linked with a move to West Brom and Premier League new boys Brighton as first reported by this portal, Hull City have emerged as the book makers favourite to land the 24 year old on loan.

The odds of Musa joining the Championship side has increased dramatically, with the forward also keen on a move to reunite with the man who signed him from VVV Venlo to CSKA Moscow of Russia.

Leonid Slutsky the new coach of Hull City is a big fan of the forward and he is using his close ties with thge player and his agent to lure him to the Tigers, where soon to be Nigeria senior international Ola Aina is currently on loan from Chelsea.

--OwnGoalNigeria
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:53pm On Aug 06, 2017
Joebie:

18years old Mikel Vs 18years old Obasi.

They started together at same club in Norway.

Which of the two's career progressed better?

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lazyerudite: 9:54pm On Aug 06, 2017
Did anyone see the run of iheanacho? Lovely. We need attacking midfielders seriously

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:56pm On Aug 06, 2017
tbaba1234:

You dey mind joebie?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:06pm On Aug 06, 2017
Obasi no progress? You are talking as if he has been in the Scandanavia all these years..lol

You want me to to youtube Obasi Bundesliga goals. He's had a injury troubled career. He actually developed as a player. Don't deny that just because he seems to be trying to pick up the pieces for the second season in a row in Sweden. It's hard for your stock to rise with all those injuries. At some point you will have to track back.

Like I said Mikel did not develop SIGNIFICANTLY -- and there is a reason why that word is in uppercase. Think about it for a minute. Let's say it as it is.

Icon4s:

18years old Mikel Vs 18years old Obasi.

They started together at same club in Norway.

Which of the two's career progressed better?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:08pm On Aug 06, 2017
FC Porto B-Gil Vicente, 1-2 (Ledman LigaPro, 1.ª jornada, 06/08... via @YouTube James Igbekeme's goal. Who is this Igbekeme?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og1yagFkzr4
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:13pm On Aug 06, 2017
Joebie:
Obasi no progress? You are talking as if he has been in the Scandanavia all these years..lol

You want me to to youtube Obasi Bundesliga goals. He's had a injury troubled career. He actually developed as a player. Don't deny that just because he seems to be trying to pick up the pieces for the second season in a row in Sweden. It's hard for your stock to rise with all those injuries. At some point you will have to track back.

Like I said Mikel did not develop SIGNIFICANTLY -- and there is a reason why that word is in uppercase. Think about it for a minute. Let's say it as it is.

Yet Mikel played at Chelsea, a top English team with Champions League credentials for 10 years.

He improved significantly, he just did not reach the level people wanted him to reach. Mikel has had a very successful career.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:21pm On Aug 06, 2017
Turkish Super Cup

Imoh Ezekiel wins silverware in Turkey in only his first official game. He started from the bench in the 82nd minute, with the game at one-all to help Turkish cup winners, Konyaspor defeat the defending Super Lig champions, Besiktas by 2-1.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:23pm On Aug 06, 2017
You are making a different argument. Can you tell me how he improved defensively over those 10 years? No one is saying he did not play for a top side or he did not do well over those years. We always knew Mikel's potentials and he did well even as a defensive midfielder. But that's not the point here. Can you tell me how he developed defensively OVER THOSE 10 YEARS?

tbaba1234:

Yet Mikel played at Chelsea, a top English team with Champions League credentials for 10 years.

He improved significantly, he just did not reach the level people wanted him to reach. Mikel has had a very successful career.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:27pm On Aug 06, 2017
Hopefully Musa Muhammed is not sent on loan again. He is back with Basaksehir. Let the Super Lig begin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:09am On Aug 07, 2017
Joebie:
You are making a different argument. Can you tell me how he improved defensively over those 10 years? No one is saying he did not play for a top side or he did not do well over those years. We always knew Mikel's potentials and he did well even as a defensive midfielder. But that's not the point here. Can you tell me how he developed defensively OVER THOSE 10 YEARS?

Do you think Mikel who played at the 2005 under 20 with no improvement would have served Chelsea for that long

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:09am On Aug 07, 2017
Joebie:

Mikel improved massively. To go from a creative midfielder to a defensive midfielder who reads the game with pin point accuracy is not beans. It took a lot of work and coaching.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:14am On Aug 07, 2017
Good question. I'm not saying he did not develop over the years. You can imply it. It can be assumed. It can be expected. It can be suspected. You can say he must have developed over those years. But it can hardly be pinpointed. That's the point you are still missing. Which is why it will be hard for anyone to state his progression over that period. In what areas did his game dramatically improve or gradually improve over that time line. When I think of player development, I think of time line and how they have progressed from one stage to another, and to the next. That's my point.

tbaba1234:

Do you think Mikel who played at the 2005 under 20 with no improvement would have served Chelsea for that long
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:19am On Aug 07, 2017
Joebie:
Good question. I'm not saying he did not develop over the years. You can imply it. It can be assumed. It can be expected. It can be suspected. You can say he must have developed over those years. But it can hardly be pinpointed. That's the point you are still missing. Which is why it will be hard for anyone to state his progression over that period. In what areas did his game dramatically improve or gradually improve over that time line. When I think of player development, I think of time line and how they have progressed from one stage to another, and to the next. That's my point.

Mikel’s development in the defensive midfield role can be pin pointed. A good example was how he used to tackle recklessly because he could not meet up with the pace of creative opposing players. Remember how Mikel used to get red carded. With time, Mikel became too tidy. Could go over ten games without a card.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1252) (1253) (1254) (1255) (1256) (1257) (1258) ... (16398) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Philosopher1979, dkay51(m), Timi45 and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.