Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,096 members, 7,880,426 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 06:01 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1265) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12027114 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1262) (1263) (1264) (1265) (1266) (1267) (1268) ... (16408) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 10:08am On Aug 11, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Alaba never turned down Nigeria and because of that he has our love and prayers. We wish him the best.

As for Nedum Onuoha, we want him not to force himself to feel Nigerian.

I do not want anyone who does not feel Nigerian wearing our Jerseys.

Very well said. I couldn't have put it better. Same way I felt about Ameobi.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:55am On Aug 11, 2017
Let me say one more thing about the Onuoha issue. It's not a sin not to feel Nigerian. The environment a child grows up has a big big influence on them. in fact it would take parents inculcating in their children and more efforts for children abroad to feel a link with their motherland. It's not a sin not to feel Nigerian enough. The problem is that he expressed it. Which is the reason he is being castigated by many of us.

Let me throw in this scenario, if we all were faced with the option of joining one army. The British or the Nigerian. Which army we go choose? The problem is we are not being truthful with the situation. Of course you can't think clearly when you are sentimental. Football is a profession. The national team you play for adds to your resume. Is there an element of patriotism, yes. But it's not a big factor like we think. Even our homebased players today, if they went abroad to a country big in football, say Germany and all of a sudden, the Germany wants to cap them. The thought of it would give them sleepless nights.. Me i like to call white, white, and black, black.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 11:05am On Aug 11, 2017
Joebie:
Let me say one more thing about the Onuoha issue. It's not a sin not to feel Nigerian. The environment a child grows up has a big big influence on them. in fact it would take parents inculcating in their children and more efforts for children abroad to feel a link with their motherland. It's not a sin not to feel Nigerian enough. The problem is that he expressed it. Which is the reason he is being castigated by many of us.

Let me throw in this scenario, if we all were faced with the option of joining one army. The British or the Nigerian. Which army we go choose? The problem is we are not being truthful with the situation. Of course you can't think clearly when you are sentimental. Football is a profession. The national team you play for adds to your resume. Is there an element of patriotism, yes. But it's not a big factor like we think. Even our homebased players today, if they went abroad to a country big in football, say Germany and all of a sudden, the Germany wants to cap them. The thought of it would give them sleepless nights.. Me i like to call white, white, and black, black.

bros ah go tire for you ooo, first you don't know PETERSIDE IDAH now na to promote that "" wasted up grandpa"" grin

you don let first lady vex lik dis, she no gimme fud chop sleep last nite,

ah go vex for you oooooooo!!!!!!!!......... Ah don tok ma own cool cool

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:07am On Aug 11, 2017
Maybe if your read the whole thing again with a clear mind you will get the context the @ bolded

goldfish80:

Lol.. He's happy to be a fan for now? Like he was never a fan before. Being a fan of the country of your parents is like an on and off switch.
Look, it's not beyond this guy to deliberately score an own goal if he played for us against England.
Like Patrick Obahiagbon will say Kabutorejectametta!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 11:07am On Aug 11, 2017
komekn:

Your comment display a complete lack contextual understanding, identity appreciation and insensitive in the extreme, I could say ignorant but i will not.

You would have to define what it means to Feel Nigerian from your perspective for other to appreciate.

Last year I was in Nigeria twice to link a 30 year old Ibo lady of mixed race heritage to a Father she had never seen since she was 2 years old. There are quite a lot of Nigerian heritage children who have Fathers who are missing. Then you have the full bloodied Nigerians who have been tutored by their parents, that all things Nigerian are bad and dangerous. I will not go into all the negative stories true and untrue in social media and the press. Considering all these impacting factors on the concept of being Nigerian, how Nigerian do you want them to feel

His concept of not feeling Nigerian may be that, i have unquestionable integrity, I believe in fair play, I will not use financial inducement to gain advantage (egunje), I will show the utmost professionalism, I will not call on any godfathers and if i have to do these things , i may not feel very Nigerian.

I probably know since 1994 every English Nigerian who has played for Nigeria personally, and the issues i have mentioned albeit tongue in cheek, have always come up.

Most Nigerian origin players that i know would choose Nigeria first , however, the approach by majority of officials leaves much to be desired as well as the haphazard organisation we seemingly can not get away from.

Therefore, because you want to play for Nigeria we expect these boys should throw to the dogs every good and best practice they have become accustomed to and rightfully expect in any professional football setting. And if that is your idea of cant stand heat, then we have a problem.

The issue of the three lions does not arise.

Deviating somewhat, which of our central defenders is currently better than Nedum

My friend, I want to believe you are intelligent. Therefore, I would rather u stick to the narrative and skip the part where u tacitly insult other people. I dont engage in insulting people and so I dont suppose I ought to be insulted. Kindly choose your targets wisely.

That said, from the days of Justin and john fashanu, we have had this issue. Where we have to plead with players born in foreign land to play for us. Let us not forget that Nigerians arent so forgiving. Fashanu played soccer to the highest level. After he retired, Then he remembered he wants to input in to the football organisation in Nigeria. What stood against him is just his decision to not want to play for Nigeria when needed the most. The same played out with Agbonlahor, Ade Akinbiyi and all 3 lions wannabes.Before the advent of egunje nko? Have you asked yourself that? Before Nigeria became a corrupt state nko? I say once again, whether you are better than what we have or not, if you are not willing then off u go. Forget about how big or better you might think you are. If he was that good, he would be playing for chelsea or Man U or Arsenal. Sometimes we tend to forget that its TV cameras that made us know certain players. What about the ones we never discovered on the streets of Ajegunle? In a nation of 170 million, it should be a priviledge that you got called on to represent Nigeria. And i think this is where most of our players get it wrong. SMALL money now, they act like they own the state.

They should always remember that it was a case of time and chance. I remember when FA sent Idah Peterside to speak to this dude. The guy was gonna play for 3lions and told Idah categorically he doesnt "feel" nigerian. Now in the twilight of his career, he suddenly is a candidate?
Idahwas like if any one mentions this dude again in nigerian football circles or thathe now has a change of heart, he gonna strip naked and curse him.(Not them say... he said it on super sport programme Soccer Africa)

Everything cannot be blamed on egunje. If you dont feel like a Nigerian,its nobody's fault. We wish you good luck breaking into the 3lions or whichever team. Up till today, apart from Dele Alli, which player of Nigerian descent played more than 6 competitive games for England? They always end with U21 sides. And now we have to kiss the ground they walk on because they are partly Nigerian? Haba
Let it be clear, Nigeria isnt your second choice because you carry british passport. This is the problem I have with people who altogether forgot their roots and because of greener pastures forgot to train their Kids as to where they come from. I can understand for the ones who had absentee Nigerian dads. What do we say about o es who actually have both parents being Nigerians? Like it or Not, if Sone Aluko chooses not to play for Nigeria again, he has something to show for it. AFCON medal!
Thats as close as it gets.

And on a final note, Nigeria possesses abundant talent because we dont teach football. It is practically in us. If we develop our own academies and structures that allow for growth of players, there wont be this talk of Foreign born . I dont have anything against this,but lets stop making lame excuses for these born and bred in Lodon kids. I will personally blame parents. Roots are important!

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:08am On Aug 11, 2017
hahaha you don come again!

do4luv14:

bros ah go tire for you ooo, first you don't know PETERSIDE IDAH now na to promote that "" wasted up grandpa"" grin

you don let first lady vex lik dis, she no gimme fud chop sleep last nite,

ah go vex for you oooooooo!!!!!!!!......... Ah don tok ma own cool cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 11:09am On Aug 11, 2017
goldfish80:

Lol.. He's happy to be a fan for now? Like he was never a fan before. Being a fan of the country of your parents is like an on and off switch.
Look, it's not beyond this guy to deliberately score an own goal if he played for us against England.
Like Patrick Obahiagbon will say Kabutorejectametta!

come bros no bring hon PATRICK the grammarian of KAKISTOKRACY OF FEDERE DU KUPLIS OF NAIRA abeg,

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 11:11am On Aug 11, 2017
Joebie:
hahaha you don come again!

no I Neva co.e again.....

I still dey far away.......

mak ah reach wia I dey go.......

grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:13am On Aug 11, 2017
I don't know how I missed this post. Intelligent piece!!!! I differ just SLIGHTLY.

komekn:

Your comment display a complete lack contextual understanding, identity appreciation and insensitive in the extreme, I could say ignorant but i will not.

You would have to define what it means to Feel Nigerian from your perspective for other to appreciate.

Last year I was in Nigeria twice to link a 30 year old Ibo lady of mixed race heritage to a Father she had never seen since she was 2 years old. There are quite a lot of Nigerian heritage children who have Fathers who are missing. Then you have the full bloodied Nigerians who have been tutored by their parents, that all things Nigerian are bad and dangerous. I will not go into all the negative stories true and untrue in social media and the press. Considering all these impacting factors on the concept of being Nigerian, how Nigerian do you want them to feel

His concept of not feeling Nigerian may be that, i have unquestionable integrity, I believe in fair play, I will not use financial inducement to gain advantage (egunje), I will show the utmost professionalism, I will not call on any godfathers and if i have to do these things , i may not feel very Nigerian.

I probably know since 1994 every English Nigerian who has played for Nigeria personally, and the issues i have mentioned albeit tongue in cheek, have always come up.

Most Nigerian origin players that i know would choose Nigeria first , however, the approach by majority of officials leaves much to be desired as well as the haphazard organisation we seemingly can not get away from.

Therefore, because you want to play for Nigeria we expect these boys should throw to the dogs every good and best practice they have become accustomed to and rightfully expect in any professional football setting. And if that is your idea of cant stand heat, then we have a problem.

The issue of the three lions does not arise.

Deviating somewhat, which of our central defenders is currently better than Nedum
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:19am On Aug 11, 2017
okay oh.. waka well lol

do4luv14:

no I Neva co.e again.....

I still dey far away.......

mak ah reach wia I dey go.......

grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 11:26am On Aug 11, 2017
Joebie:
okay oh.. waka well lol

ok nah
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:54am On Aug 11, 2017
kennysville:

My friend, I want to believe you are intelligent. Therefore, I would rather u stick to the narrative and skip the part where u tacitly insult other people. I dont engage in insulting people and so I dont suppose I ought to be insulted. Kindly choose your targets wisely.

That said, from the days of Justin and john fashanu, we have had this issue. Where we have to plead with players born in foreign land to play for us. Let us not forget that Nigerians arent so forgiving. Fashanu played soccer to the highest level. After he retired, Then he remembered he wants to input in to the football organisation in Nigeria. What stood against him is just his decision to not want to play for Nigeria when needed the most. The same played out with Agbonlahor, Ade Akinbiyi and all 3 lions wannabes.Before the advent of egunje nko? Have you asked yourself that? Before Nigeria became a corrupt state nko? I say once again, whether you are better than what we have or not, if you are not willing then off u go. Forget about how big or better you might think you are. If he was that good, he would be playing for chelsea or Man U or Arsenal. Sometimes we tend to forget that its TV cameras that made us know certain players. What about the ones we never discovered on the streets of Ajegunle? In a nation of 170 million, it should be a priviledge that you got called on to represent Nigeria. And i think this is where most of our players get it wrong. SMALL money now, they act like they own the state.

They should always remember that it was a case of time and chance. I remember when FA sent Idah Peterside to speak to this dude. The guy was gonna play for 3lions and told Idah categorically he doesnt "feel" nigerian. Now in the twilight of his career, he suddenly is a candidate?
Idahwas like if any one mentions this dude again in nigerian football circles or thathe now has a change of heart, he gonna strip naked and curse him.(Not them say... he said it on super sport programme Soccer Africa)

Everything cannot be blamed on egunje. If you dont feel like a Nigerian,its nobody's fault. We wish you good luck breaking into the 3lions or whichever team. Up till today, apart from Dele Alli, which player of Nigerian descent played more than 6 competitive games for England? They always end with U21 sides. And now we have to kiss the ground they walk on because they are partly Nigerian? Haba
Let it be clear, Nigeria isnt your second choice because you carry british passport. This is the problem I have with people who altogether forgot their roots and because of greener pastures forgot to train their Kids as to where they come from. I can understand for the ones who had absentee Nigerian dads. What do we say about o es who actually have both parents being Nigerians? Like it or Not, if Sone Aluko chooses not to play for Nigeria again, he has something to show for it. AFCON medal!

And on a final note, Nigeria possesses abundant talent because we dont teach football. It is practically in us. If we develop our own academies and structures that allow for growth of players, there wont be this talk of Foreign born . I dont have anything against this,but lets stop making lame excuses for these born and bred in Lodon kids. I will personally blame parents. Roots are important!

If I can share anything more than likes, believe me, I will generously have given.
Top post my man.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:22pm On Aug 11, 2017
Always same old IFs.. We keep wishing all our lives. @ last paragraph.
kennysville:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:45pm On Aug 11, 2017
Humility017:

Ighalo had a European passport...which made him eligible.
it's like we still don't understand the usefulness of fifa ranking...
while it will require....a Nigerian to get up to 70% for national team appearances, a Brazilian or any national of the top 5 Fifa football rank nations only need 20 -30% appearance to get English FA permit to play in the epl

but the Watford player had 0% appearances for Brazil.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:05pm On Aug 11, 2017
forgiveness your boy is making you proud o grin

Joebie:
Last weekend, Onuoha played at the heart of QPR's defense as they beat visiting Reading 2-0. Reading's Thiago Ilori got red-carded.

Line-up below:
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:39pm On Aug 11, 2017
‘Biggest revelation’ Dele Ajiboye presses Ezenwa for CHAN Eagles No 1, seriously being considered for Super Eagles

By admin -
August 11, 2017

Plateau United goalkeeper Dele Ajiboye is pressing skipper Ikechukwu Ezenwa hard for a starting shirt in Sunday’s CHAN 2018 playoff in Benin just as SCORENigeria has exclusively gathered he has so impressed to be on the Super Eagles squad for next month’s World Cup qualifiers against Cameroon.

A top team official described the former Nigeria U17 and Olympic team shot stopper as “the biggest discovery” in the CHAN Eagles with Kano Pillars midfielder Rabiu Ali also catching many eyes.

“Ajiboye has impressed everyone including the new goalkeeper trainer and he could even be the man in goal against Benin on Sunday,” the team official revealed.

“Already he will be considered for next month’s World Cup qualifiers against Cameroon.

“And who knows, he might even be the one in goal for those matches, that’s how.”

Ajiboye told SCORENigeria before the CHAN Eagles training camp opened in Kano that he hoped to use the home-based national team to relaunch his career after he last represented Nigeria at the 2012 Olympics qualifying tournament in Morocco six years ago.

“My major target is to be in the main Super Eagles and so doing well with the CHAN Eagles will help me achieve that,” declared ‘Aji-boy’, who posted a short-lived stint in Portugal before he returned to the domestic league.

In the meantime, SCORENigeria has gathered Kano Pillars defender Jamiu Alimi was axed from the matchday squad to Cotonou because his international passport is lodged at a foreign embassy apparently to process a visa to attend trials abroad shortly.

By Kola Daniel

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:44pm On Aug 11, 2017
CHAN: Odey, Ex-Eaglets Keeper Named In Home Eagles Squad For Benin Clash

 10 Aug 2017
 Headlines, Top Stories

Home-based Super Eagles coach Salisu Yusuf selected Nigeria Professional Football League top scorer MFM’S Stephen Odey, FC IfeanyiUbah goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa, defenders Orji Kalu and Osas Okoro, midfielders Alhassan Ibrahim and Ifeanyi Ifeanyi, and Ifeanyi George among the 19 players for Sunday’s 2018 African Nations Championship (CHAN) qualifier against Benin Republic in Cotonou, the Nigeria Football Federation announced in a press release made available to Completesportsnigeria.com on Thursday.
Also included in the squad are 2007 FIFA U-17 World Cup-winning Golden Eaglets goalkeeper Dele Ajiboyemail who now plays for NPFL leaders Plateau United, Enyimba defender Chima Akas, Kano Pillars midfielder Rabiu Ali and forward Thomas Zenke.

Enyimba oalkeeper Theophilus Afelokhai and MFM forward Sikiru Olatubosun are also in the squad.
The squad will fly from Kano to Lagos on Friday, from where they will travel to Cotonou by road same day.

Cotonou is a short trip from Lagos as Benin Republic’s border in Seme is on the outskirts of Nigeria’s commercial capital.
The Confederation of African Football has appointed Algerian referee Mustapha Ghorbal for the match at the Stade de l’Amitie on Sunday, starting from 4pm.

He will be assisted by compatriots Mokrane Gourari (Assistant Referee 1), Mohammed Serradj (Assistant Referee 2) and Said Aquina (Reserve Referee).

The return leg will be held at the Sani Abacha Stadium, Kano on Saturday, 19 August, with the winners qualifying for the 5th African Nations Championship scheduled for Kenya early next year.

20 EAGLES FOR COTONOU

Goalkeepers: Ikechukwu Ezenwa (FC IfeanyiUbah); Theophilus Afelokhai (Enyimba FC); Dele Ajiboye (Plateau United)

Defenders: Orji Kalu (Rangers International); Stephen Eze (FC IfeanyiUbah); Ariwachukwu Emmanuel (Akwa United); Chima Akas (Enyimba FC); Nasiru Sani (Katsina United); Osas Okoro (Rangers International)

Midfielders: Hafiz Aremu (Akwa United); Raphael Ayagwa (Lobi Stars); Ifeanyi Ifeanyi (Akwa United); Rabiu Ali (Kano Pillars); Samuel Mathias (El-Kanemi Warriors); Alhassan Ibrahim (Akwa United)

Forwards: Sikiru Olatubosun (MFM FC); Thomas Zenke (Nasarawa United); Stephen Odey (MFM FC); Kingsley Eduwo (Lobi Stars); Ifeanyi George (Rangers International)

Read more at https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/chan-odey-ex-eaglets-keeper-named-home-eagles-squad-benin-clash/#JpXxroScBZxI632d.99
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:50pm On Aug 11, 2017
Long overdue

BascoVanVeli:
‘Biggest revelation’ Dele Ajiboye presses Ezenwa for CHAN Eagles No 1, seriously being considered for Super Eagles

By admin -
August 11, 2017

Plateau United goalkeeper Dele Ajiboye is pressing skipper Ikechukwu Ezenwa hard for a starting shirt in Sunday’s CHAN 2018 playoff in Benin just as SCORENigeria has exclusively gathered he has so impressed to be on the Super Eagles squad for next month’s World Cup qualifiers against Cameroon.

A top team official described the former Nigeria U17 and Olympic team shot stopper as “the biggest discovery” in the CHAN Eagles with Kano Pillars midfielder Rabiu Ali also catching many eyes.

“Ajiboye has impressed everyone including the new goalkeeper trainer and he could even be the man in goal against Benin on Sunday,” the team official revealed.

“Already he will be considered for next month’s World Cup qualifiers against Cameroon.

“And who knows, he might even be the one in goal for those matches, that’s how.”

Ajiboye told SCORENigeria before the CHAN Eagles training camp opened in Kano that he hoped to use the home-based national team to relaunch his career after he last represented Nigeria at the 2012 Olympics qualifying tournament in Morocco six years ago.

“My major target is to be in the main Super Eagles and so doing well with the CHAN Eagles will help me achieve that,” declared ‘Aji-boy’, who posted a short-lived stint in Portugal before he returned to the domestic league.

In the meantime, SCORENigeria has gathered Kano Pillars defender Jamiu Alimi was axed from the matchday squad to Cotonou because his international passport is lodged at a foreign embassy apparently to process a visa to attend trials abroad shortly.

By Kola Daniel

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 1:53pm On Aug 11, 2017
kennysville:

Another candidate for Post Of The Year

Cc: Icon4s, thegoodjoe, tbaba123, icon79, Napoleon55 and all other relevant parties

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:07pm On Aug 11, 2017
The team looks decent.
Let's hope again.

BascoVanVeli:
CHAN: Odey, Ex-Eaglets Keeper Named In Home Eagles Squad For Benin Clash

 10 Aug 2017
 Headlines, Top Stories

Home-based Super Eagles coach Salisu Yusuf selected Nigeria Professional Football League top scorer MFM’S Stephen Odey, FC IfeanyiUbah goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa, defenders Orji Kalu and Osas Okoro, midfielders Alhassan Ibrahim and Ifeanyi Ifeanyi, and Ifeanyi George among the 19 players for Sunday’s 2018 African Nations Championship (CHAN) qualifier against Benin Republic in Cotonou, the Nigeria Football Federation announced in a press release made available to Completesportsnigeria.com on Thursday.
Also included in the squad are 2007 FIFA U-17 World Cup-winning Golden Eaglets goalkeeper Dele Ajiboyemail who now plays for NPFL leaders Plateau United, Enyimba defender Chima Akas, Kano Pillars midfielder Rabiu Ali and forward Thomas Zenke.

Enyimba oalkeeper Theophilus Afelokhai and MFM forward Sikiru Olatubosun are also in the squad.
The squad will fly from Kano to Lagos on Friday, from where they will travel to Cotonou by road same day.

Cotonou is a short trip from Lagos as Benin Republic’s border in Seme is on the outskirts of Nigeria’s commercial capital.
The Confederation of African Football has appointed Algerian referee Mustapha Ghorbal for the match at the Stade de l’Amitie on Sunday, starting from 4pm.

He will be assisted by compatriots Mokrane Gourari (Assistant Referee 1), Mohammed Serradj (Assistant Referee 2) and Said Aquina (Reserve Referee).

The return leg will be held at the Sani Abacha Stadium, Kano on Saturday, 19 August, with the winners qualifying for the 5th African Nations Championship scheduled for Kenya early next year.

20 EAGLES FOR COTONOU

Goalkeepers: Ikechukwu Ezenwa (FC IfeanyiUbah); Theophilus Afelokhai (Enyimba FC); Dele Ajiboye (Plateau United)

Defenders: Orji Kalu (Rangers International); Stephen Eze (FC IfeanyiUbah); Ariwachukwu Emmanuel (Akwa United); Chima Akas (Enyimba FC); Nasiru Sani (Katsina United); Osas Okoro (Rangers International)

Midfielders: Hafiz Aremu (Akwa United); Raphael Ayagwa (Lobi Stars); Ifeanyi Ifeanyi (Akwa United); Rabiu Ali (Kano Pillars); Samuel Mathias (El-Kanemi Warriors); Alhassan Ibrahim (Akwa United)

Forwards: Sikiru Olatubosun (MFM FC); Thomas Zenke (Nasarawa United); Stephen Odey (MFM FC); Kingsley Eduwo (Lobi Stars); Ifeanyi George (Rangers International)

Read more at https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/chan-odey-ex-eaglets-keeper-named-home-eagles-squad-benin-clash/#JpXxroScBZxI632d.99
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 2:14pm On Aug 11, 2017
Safari, you're supa! You don tok am finish, as usual. To add anything else would be most uncivilized.

Abeg, email me your number. I wanna call you when I get to naija over the weekend.

O pari

safarigirl:
Even when our football was at the bottom of the barrel two years ago, Nedum Onuoha was not an option, talk less now.

See ehn, I will rather we lose with a back four of Egwueke, Oboabona, Omeruo and Ambrose than win with any back four containing Nedum.

Nigeria is one of the top footballing nations in Africa, we should have a little pride in certain situations, this is one of such.

Nedum Onuoha can never play for us again, so @Joebie, if you like, dig up every article you can find of the washed up grandpa, like someone already said, unless he's a goalie, we don't need him.

Stop disgracing us with such unreasonable calls abeg
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 2:15pm On Aug 11, 2017
Joe, have you see most of those guys play?

O pari

Joebie:
The team looks decent.
Let's hope again.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 2:18pm On Aug 11, 2017
Super Eagles Striker Olarewaju Kayode Details Away From Joining Watford – Reports

Super Eagles and Austia Wien forward Olarewaju Kayode will in the coming days seal a switch to the English Premier League with Watford his likely destination according to a source close to the player.

Popular Nigerian journalist Wale Ajayi who has very close ties with the 24 year old revealed Watford and Newcastle United signified their interest in the striker who was voted the best player in the Austrian league, and also finished as top scorer last season.

According to Ajayi, the 24 goal striker who has played in Israel and the Ivory Coast is however close to joining Watford as they have shown keen interest in acquiring him from Austria Wien who are demanding a fee of around €4m for his transfer.

His price tag and personal wage has put off clubs from Turker and Russia who have all indicated their interest in his services, with German side Hannover 96 also ruling themselves out of his chase due to the fee placed on him.

Osas Mahawi

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/08/10/super-eagles-striker-olarewaju-kayode-details-away-from-joining-watford-reports/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 2:20pm On Aug 11, 2017
Exclusive – Ex U17 Goalkeeper Dele Ajiboye Included In Eagles Squad For Cameroon Tie

Plateau United goalkeeper Dele Ajiboye has been promoted from the CHAN Eagles to the main Super Eagles after winning the trust of the new goalkeeper coach of the Super Eagles.

Ajiboye made the CHAN Eagles squad for their upcoming qualifiers clash against Benin Republic in Contonou, where he will contend with first choice goalkeeper and captain Ikechukwu Ezenwa as well as Theophilus Afelokhai.

His involvement with the senior national team set up of Nigeria is not expected to end there as he has also been included in the list of call ups for the World Cup 2018 Qualifiers against Cameroon in September.

” Ajiboye has done well, he has earned a spot in the main team for the game against Cameroon, unless something else happens between now and then. Otherwise he is sure going to be in the squad”, a team source exclusively told Owngoalnigeria.com.

” The new goalkeeper trainer Enrico Pionetti has been very impressed with his performance and responds to several drills. He has subsequently told Gernot Rohr about him.

” Many people forget so soon that Ajiboye played in Spain, so he can’t be said to be inexperienced. A lot could change between when the list is announced and now, but Ajiboye has no doubt warmed his way into the Super Eagles set up for the Cameroon game”.

Ade Emmanuel

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/08/10/exclusive-ex-u17-goalkeeper-dele-ajiboye-included-in-eagles-squad-for-cameroon-tie/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 2:20pm On Aug 11, 2017
Like I had always said, one problem with Naija coaches is that most of them are fecking lazy! Instead scouting and visiting soccer venues (including Universities and academies) to discover hidden talents, they would get stuck with the same non-performing players!

Please don't tell me that Daniel Akpeyi and Ikechukwu Ezenwa are the two best goalkeepers in Nigeria today. Yet we kept inviting them to the Super Eagles even though that they have demonstrated over and over again that they are not good enough. Insanity, they say, is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.

Nigeria, we hail thee!

O pari

BascoVanVeli:

By admin -
August 11, 2017

By Kola Daniel

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:20pm On Aug 11, 2017
I've seen some. I know some are good. The question really is are they really the best we have in the league? That's why I said the team looks decent. If they will go far at CHAN proper, that's another matter.

I thank goodness for our academies which ship our young talents abroad.. so we hope again based on how they develop there.

Icon79:
Joe, have you see most of those guys play?

O pari

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 2:22pm On Aug 11, 2017
Abeg, is the guy in the picture "the U17 goalkeeper" or somebody else? grin

O pari

terzurum5:
Exclusive – Ex U17 Goalkeeper Dele Ajiboye Included In Eagles Squad For Cameroon Tie

Plateau United goalkeeper Dele Ajiboye has been promoted from the CHAN Eagles to the main Super Eagles after winning the trust of the new goalkeeper coach of the Super Eagles.

Ajiboye made the CHAN Eagles squad for their upcoming qualifiers clash against Benin Republic in Contonou, where he will contend with first choice goalkeeper and captain Ikechukwu Ezenwa as well as Theophilus Afelokhai.

His involvement with the senior national team set up of Nigeria is not expected to end there as he has also been included in the list of call ups for the World Cup 2018 Qualifiers against Cameroon in September.

” Ajiboye has done well, he has earned a spot in the main team for the game against Cameroon, unless something else happens between now and then. Otherwise he is sure going to be in the squad”, a team source exclusively told Owngoalnigeria.com.

” The new goalkeeper trainer Enrico Pionetti has been very impressed with his performance and responds to several drills. He has subsequently told Gernot Rohr about him.

” Many people forget so soon that Ajiboye played in Spain, so he can’t be said to be inexperienced. A lot could change between when the list is announced and now, but Ajiboye has no doubt warmed his way into the Super Eagles set up for the Cameroon game”.

Ade Emmanuel

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/08/10/exclusive-ex-u17-goalkeeper-dele-ajiboye-included-in-eagles-squad-for-cameroon-tie/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:23pm On Aug 11, 2017
Oga, my brother. South African University football is shown on Supersports. Are we still living in the stone age?
Our coaches are lazy. You are very correct. But that's not the real problem.

Modified
American football is arguably the number one sports in the United States. This is a country that almost always end up first in the olympics.
Ask any typical american what their favorite football team is. They will give you two teams. A college football team,and a national football team. Why? Their system is so organized that before a talented footballer graduates from high school they have already gotten university scholarship. The university football league is shown on TV.. it's as huge as the National Football League. Today, we have South Africa doing something very similar with their football at the university level, and someone is surprised they came to Nigeria to beat us.

Are we still living in caves? Just as many Nigerians still strive to go abroad because of the bad system here, we will continue to try to cap foreign based players because of our poor football development that does not guarantee the availability of stars. So whether we are 500 million in the country or not, the truth remains we cannot churn out stars regularly from the home front. The earlier we accept these facts the better for us. Our anger and sentiments is misdirected. Onuoha is just one individual. We have way bigger problems. We can claim to be talented, but still there is little evidence.

Icon79:
Like I had always said, one problem with Naija coaches is that most of them are fecking lazy! Instead scouting and visiting soccer venues (including Universities and academies) to discover hidden talents, they would get stuck with the same non-performing players!

Please don't tell me that Daniel Akpeyi and Ikechukwu Ezenwa are the two best goalkeepers in Nigeria today. Yet we kept inviting them to the Super Eagles even though that they have demonstrated over and over again that they are not good enough. Insanity, they say, is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.

Nigeria, we hail thee!

O pari

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 2:26pm On Aug 11, 2017
Newcastle United might well sign a Golden Boot winner soon, according to a report.

According to Score Nigeria, Newcastle United could sign Austria Wien striker Olarenwaju Kayode "within a matter of days".

The 24-year-old managed 17 goals in the Austrian Bundesliga last season en route to winning the Golden Boot.

Newcastle boss Rafael Benitez is said to be interested in signing a forward but a lot of the speculation has centred around Arsenal's Lucas Perez.

But Score Nigeria claim that Kayode could well be a Magpies player in the very near future, adding that the striker - who has 30 goals in 67 matches for the Austrian outfit - will face no problems in obtaining a work permit to play in England.

If true it would give Benitez's side a timely boost ahead of their Premier League opener at home to Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday afternoon.

It remains to be seen whether his arrival would have an impact on Perez's potential move, with the Spanish manager speaking to his Arsenal counterpart Arsene Wenger about the £13m hitman, according to ESPN.

Kayode moved to Europe on a permanent basis in 2015 from Maccabi Netanya, having briefly had a loan spell with Luzern in Switzerland.

He has two caps for Nigeria.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/08/11/report-newcastle-to-sign-olarenwaju-kayode/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 2:26pm On Aug 11, 2017
You ain't lying, bro. I was watching the Nigeria VS Egypt match again this morning and kept trying to understand why/how Siasia decided to start VicMo on the bench on the first leg. In addition, there are a few players who started that game that shouldn't have.

You must always consider the "Nigerian Factor". Sad but true!

O pari

Joebie:
I've seen some. I know some are good. The question really is are they really the best we have in the league? That's why I said the team looks decent. If they will go far at CHAN proper, that's another matter.

I thank goodness for our academies which ship our young talents abroad.. so we hope again based on how they develop there.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:27pm On Aug 11, 2017
Icon79:
Abeg, is the guy in the picture "the U17 goalkeeper" or somebody else? grin

O pari

Former under 17, he was with 2007 under 17.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 2:27pm On Aug 11, 2017
We definitely need him for that game. We're all praying for you, Leon!

O pari

terzurum5:
Rohr: Nigeria's Balogun fit to face Cameroon

[img]
Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr

by Austin Ditlhobolo

Nigeria head coach Gernot Rohr is pleased to see Leon Balogun regain his full fitness ahead of two clashes with their rivals Cameroon.

The two West African nations will clash in 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifiers which will take place in Uyo, Nigeria on 31 August 2017 and Yaounde, Cameroon on 4 September 2017.

German tactician Rohr has also revealed that Nigeria and 1.FSV Mainz 05 defender Balogun has regained his full fitness.

“Balogun is also fit," Rohr told Own Goal Nigeria.

The 64-year-old coach also explained that frontman Odion Ighalo, who is on the books of Chinese club Changchun Yatai, could be called up.

"He is experienced and we have also some strikers with a little more experience, Odion Ighalo also not only him," he added.

"There are also other ones. So I think in the next week we will monitor all of them to be sure, we can take the best ones for these big games against Cameroon."

Nigeria and Cameroon are in Group B along with Zambia and Algeria. Only the group winners will secure their place in the finals.

The Super Eagles of Nigeria are sitting at the top of group table with six points with four games left, while second-placed Cameroon have two points.

http://africanfootball.com/news/723231/Rohr-Nigerias-Balogun-fit-to-face-Cameroon

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1262) (1263) (1264) (1265) (1266) (1267) (1268) ... (16408) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Franktom247(m), Ginistev, benji93, soetanoreoluwa(m), Marjoribanks and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.