Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,806 members, 7,872,682 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 07:40 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1268) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11986518 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1265) (1266) (1267) (1268) (1269) (1270) (1271) ... (16390) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 12:31am On Aug 12, 2017
tbaba1234:
Owngoalnigeria is reporting that Kayode has joined Man city and he was loaned to Girona. That will be sad if true.

Newcastle or Watford will be better moves.

What ought to have been a good news if only it wasn't Pep we're talking about.

sad
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:15am On Aug 12, 2017

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:18am On Aug 12, 2017

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:25am On Aug 12, 2017

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:02am On Aug 12, 2017
TheGoodJoe:
I am very happy with today's game because I like when nature punishes a coach who makes sentimental decisions.

Vardy was due for substitution for a long time but Shakespeare decided to keep Vardy on the pitch. This was clearly a sentimental choice.

Vardy was tired and Leicester City was winning. Sending in Amartey was alright but removing James to bring in Iheanacho was atrocious. Messing up the midfield balance and giving Arsenal room to fire on all cylinders.

I hope Shakespeare learns from this. No need setting up a player to shine. Let the team shine and not a player.

Ndidi had a mixed game. Some high and low points. His work rate and pressing was brilliant. Needs to work on keeping the ball with less risky passes and sometimes pass back to the keeper and defenders.

Overall, Good performance.

Leicester City's football is also terrible. Sad Iheanacho is trapped in such pack bus team. Hope he reinvents himself to make the most of this move. I do not like what I saw today with respect to Leicester City's game play.

I don't agree with the coach removing Vardy.

Firstly he was there number 1 goals threat.

Secondly, in such an open game that we all knew Arsenal could easily come back it is best to still keep Vardy on the pitch.

Thirdly he remained a needle in the ass to the Arsenal backline and often pressed alot.

I totally agree that Substituting James for Iheanacho set the coach on a path of self destruct. That is school boy coaching tactics.

In a game of such magnitude the greatest risk you should even take is making a like for a like substitution.

At the emirates stadium, you are 2-3 up , Arsenal just made a serious attacking substitution.
With barely 10mins left you knew Arsenal was going to come all over you. And then you helped them by removing a midfielder and bringing on your new 25million pounds striker.
If he had wanted to show case Iheanacho in this game why didn't he play him from the start?

Well, experience they say is the best teacher. He is still learning as a coach.

As for Ndidi he had an OK game in my opinion. Although he has to share part of the blame for Arsenal's 3rd goal.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:04am On Aug 12, 2017
tbaba1234:
Goal for Joel Obi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF0hptLIgRY&sns=tw
Congratulations to him.
Oya Joebie come do your needful.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:43am On Aug 12, 2017
Icon79:
Abeg, is the guy in the picture "the U17 goalkeeper" or somebody else? grin

O pari

Yes he is
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:47am On Aug 12, 2017
Icon4s:

I don't agree with the coach removing Vardy.

Firstly he was there number 1 goals threat.

Secondly, in such an open game that we all knew Arsenal could easily come back it is best to still keep Vardy on the pitch.

Thirdly he remained a needle in the ass to the Arsenal backline and often pressed alot.

I totally agree that Substituting James for Iheanacho set the coach on a path of self destruct. That is school boy coaching tactics.

In a game of such magnitude the greatest risk you should even take is making a like for a like substitution.

At the emirates stadium, you are 2-3 up , Arsenal just made a serious attacking substitution.
With barely 10mins left you knew Arsenal was going to come all over you. And then you helped them by removing a midfielder and bringing on your new 25million pounds striker.
If he had wanted to show case Iheanacho in this game why didn't he play him from the start?

Well, experience they say is the best teacher. He is still learning as a coach.

As for Ndidi he had an OK game in my opinion. Although he has to share part of the blame for Arsenal's 3rd goal.

If Vardy must play, then he should not make the change and save Iheanacho for another game. Vardy was not part of the defensive organization and he was obviously tired. Working hard and threatening, yes but the steam was not there. Nacho was the best threat to keep the attack alive and would have kept that defensive organization.

As you said, Shakespeare is still learning but that kind of football is just too terrible. Congrats with your victory.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:49am On Aug 12, 2017
junnyjake:

Oga drills, I hail thee. grin

I throway Salute.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:54am On Aug 12, 2017
tbaba1234:
Owngoalnigeria is reporting that Kayode has joined Man city and he was loaned to Girona. That will be sad if true.

Newcastle or Watford will be better moves.

Girona is Guardiola's brother's club (Pere Guardiola). My only problem with this move was how Chidi Nwakali was badly treated at Girona. He was the only black man in the team and was left on the bench throughout his stay.

Wish Kayode a blast in the La Liga.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:08am On Aug 12, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

If Vardy must play, then he should not make the change and save Iheanacho for another game. Vardy was not part of the defensive organization and he was obviously tired. Working hard and threatening, yes but the steam was not there. Nacho was the best threat to keep the attack alive and would have kept that defensive organization.

As you said, Shakespeare is still learning but that kind of football is just too terrible. Congrats with your victory.

Well I don't think Leicester was terrible overall. They had a good game until 10mins to end of regulation time which may not be unconnected with the atrocious substitutions made by Shakespeare.

Ryan Mahrez was the worst Leicester City player on the night.

And thanks for the congratulatory message.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:11am On Aug 12, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I must also add that with Okazaki and Vardy's games last night it means Iheanacho will definitely need to buckle up to be a starter.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:15am On Aug 12, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Girona is Guardiola's brother's club (Pere Guardiola). My only problem with this move was how Chidi Nwakali was badly treated at Girona. He was the only black man in the team and was left on the bench throughout his stay.

Wish Kayode a blast in the La Liga.

You mean the reason Chidi was left on the bench was because he was black?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:15am On Aug 12, 2017
Icon4s:

I must also add that with Okazaki and Vardy's games last night it means Iheanacho will definitely need to buckle up to be a starter.

Okazaki worked really hard and played well. Although I saw weaknesses in his decision making which shows there is room for Nacho there. Although the most favored position for Nacho for me is upfront.

The amount of balls that went to Vardy was a strikers dream. Almost all players back and all balls to Vardy. Any other role is not that effective. We will see how they set up against weaker sides. But, Nacho needs to work his socks off. Leicester City will not be a work walk in the park.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:16am On Aug 12, 2017
Icon4s:

You mean the reason Chidi was left on the bench was because he was black?

Yep.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:19am On Aug 12, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Yep.

Where did you get that from?

I know your expectations on Chidi Nwakali has necessitated this your line of thought.

You know my stance on most of these ex-junior internationals has not changed.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:26am On Aug 12, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

We are just giving Onuoha enough time to wait for the Three Lions and the Queen to call him up. We really want him to play where his heart is because his heart is not here.

We want those who feel Nigerian wearing the green white Jerseys. Those who will give their all because it means so much to them.
Thank you so very much.
Let Onuoha play where he wanted to play in the first place.
Nigerian can not be a second chance all the times.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:27am On Aug 12, 2017
Icon4s:

I know your expectations on Chidi Nwakali has necessitated this your line of thought.

He did not get a chance. We are talking of a player who has quality. If not his injury, he was picked to take part in the Preseason for Manchester City. Picked by Pellegrini who had a good time in Spain.

Not a chance. That was way abnormal. Then with Chidi being the only black player in the team. It is obvious.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:29am On Aug 12, 2017
Icon4s:

Apart from Girona, no other club saw him as a regular bench material. Think of not a chance in a team like Girona. Not last season Girona. I think Pellegrini was still at City at that time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pyrex23(m): 7:42am On Aug 12, 2017
TheGoodJoe:
” The new goalkeeper trainer Enrico Pionetti has been very impressed with his performance and responds to several drills. He has subsequently told Gernot Rohr about him. grin tongue
who?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pyrex23(m): 7:52am On Aug 12, 2017
Icon4s:

can mahrez b removed to accomodate d 3
which formation did they use last night
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:02am On Aug 12, 2017
pyrex23:

can mahrez b removed to accomodate d 3
which formation did they use last night

They played out their typical 4-4-2. With Okazaki providing support for Vardy.

I don't see Shakespeare dropping Mahrez.
The player whose position is at stake is Okazaki definitely not Vardy especially with his output last night.

With the way Okazaki and Vardy combined last night Shakespeare is likely to start the pair upfront in their next encounter.

Musa's plot to HullCity is definitely a smart one as there is obviously no room for him in this team.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:03am On Aug 12, 2017
pyrex23:
who?

Dele Ajiboye. He was the U17 Goalkeeper of the Yemi Tela World Conquering team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:06am On Aug 12, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Okazaki worked really hard and played well. Although I saw weaknesses in his decision making which shows there is room for Nacho there. Although the most favored position for Nacho for me is upfront.

The amount of balls that went to Vardy was a strikers dream. Almost all players back and all balls to Vardy. Any other role is not that effective. We will see how they set up against weaker sides. But, Nacho needs to work his socks off. Leicester City will not be a work walk in the park.

With Vardy in that team there is no way Iheanacho can will clinch that CF position. He will need to fight for Okazaki's place or a WF position.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:08am On Aug 12, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Apart from Girona, no other club saw him as a regular bench material. Think of not a chance in a team like Girona. Not last season Girona. I think Pellegrini was still at City at that time.

You think the issue is with the club and not the player himself?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:10am On Aug 12, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

He did not get a chance. We are talking of a player who has quality. If not his injury, he was picked to take part in the Preseason for Manchester City. Picked by Pellegrini who had a good time in Spain.

Not a chance. That was way abnormal. Then with Chidi being the only black player in the team. It is obvious.

The quality we saw from the U17 right?

The earlier you lower your expectations on some of these ex-junior internationals the better for you o.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:10am On Aug 12, 2017
Icon4s:

With Vardy in that team there is no way Iheanacho can will clinch that CF position. He will need to fight for Okazaki's place or a WF position.

The support role is okay but the striker tole is most ideal. However, Okazaki's running is an asset to Leicester City which means Nacho has a tough time ahead of him.

Wish Nacho joined a possessive passing side. The long ball routine of Leicester City does not fit the philosophy of the current Super Eagles team. We will see how the season progress.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:14am On Aug 12, 2017
Icon4s:

The quality we saw from the U17 right?

The earlier you lower your expectations on some of these ex-junior internationals the better for you o.

I did not talk U17. No need bringing U17 into the argument. The talk was Pellegrini working with Chidi Nwakali in camp and selecting him for the preseason tour of City. Nwakali was to play for the City team before injury struck.

Due to the work permit issues he went to Girona and could not get a game. A player picked by Pellegrini, could not get a game. After he left Girona, he has been a regular in the clubs he played.

So this has nothing to do with U17. If Chidi Nwakali with his talent was a white kid in Girona, he would have played more. It is as simple as that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:15am On Aug 12, 2017
Icon4s:

You think the issue is with the club and not the player himself?

It is the club.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:41am On Aug 12, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I did not talk U17. No need bringing U17 into the argument. The talk was Pellegrini working with Chidi Nwakali in camp and selecting him for the preseason tour of City. Nwakali was to play for the City team before injury struck.

Due to the work permit issues he went to Girona and could not get a game. A player picked by Pellegrini, could not get a game. After he left Girona, he has been a regular in the clubs he played.

So this has nothing to do with U17. If Chidi Nwakali with his talent was a white kid in Girona, he would have played more. It is as simple as that.

Have you really seen Chidi play aside U17 and U20?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:53am On Aug 12, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

The support role is okay but the striker tole is most ideal. However, Okazaki's running is an asset to Leicester City which means Nacho has a tough time ahead of him.

Wish Nacho joined a possessive passing side. The long ball routine of Leicester City does not fit the philosophy of the current Super Eagles team. We will see how the season progress.

If Iheanacho is to be featured as a CF the number of games he would sit on the bench In Leicester would be worse than what it was at City. Sebi na when Aguero they get injure Iheanacho Dey sometimes see game. Vardy is always as fit as a horse. He plays almost every game for Leicester.
Okazaki is also in a blistering form.

The long balls kind of game may not particularly suit Iheanacho as he has issues with his first touches. He is also not as pacy as Okazaki. Leicester does not typically play short 1-2 passes something Iheanacho is good at.

Well, my own is if you cannot outshine players like Okazaki and Vardy at Leicester City then you are not worth the hype after all. Period!
This is his chance to prove his mettle.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:58am On Aug 12, 2017
TheGoodJoe:
It is the club.
I see.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1265) (1266) (1267) (1268) (1269) (1270) (1271) ... (16390) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89, charlesemeka85(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.