Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,107 members, 7,887,234 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 02:45 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1266) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12062217 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1263) (1264) (1265) (1266) (1267) (1268) (1269) ... (16430) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:38pm On Aug 11, 2017
YES the Nigerian factor is killing everything. That Nigerian way we reason. Our mindset is our number one problem

Icon79:
You ain't lying, bro. I was watching the Nigeria VS Egypt match again this morning and kept trying to understand why/how Siasia decided to start VicMo on the bench on the first leg. In addition, there are a few players who started that game that shouldn't have.

You must always consider the "Nigerian Factor". Sad but true!

O pari

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:44pm On Aug 11, 2017
Kayode very close to a premiership move. Newcastle or Watford.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:52pm On Aug 11, 2017
If something happen to Balogun, heart attack.. Na wa, and we are a country blessed with talents..

We NEED Balogun oh!
Icon79:
We definitely need him for that game. We're all praying for you, Leon!

O pari

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pyrex23(m): 3:10pm On Aug 11, 2017
Icon79:
Abeg, is the guy in the picture "the U17 goalkeeper" or somebody else? grin

O pari

lols...10 yrs ago na...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:12pm On Aug 11, 2017
My brother, you hit the nail squarely on the head!

Nigeria seems to the only country on the planet that is retrogressing rather than progressing. I am currently watching the IAAF World Championships in London and it breaks my heart to realize that Nigeria is no longer a force to be reckoned with in track and field events any more. Nigeria used to be amongst the world's best in the sprint events (100, 200, 400 men and women) and even in the Long and Triple Jumps. What happened to sports in Nigeria? Do they even still have the NUGA games and the Poly Games any more? Can you tell me what a country with almost 300 million people can not discover a few world class sprinters? Whereas Jamaica with about 2 million people present some of the best sprinters on the planet!

Nigeria is a very lazy country where people, especially those in the govt., expect to reap where they did not sow. I have asked your Minister of Sports several times, on twitter, to tell me how he plans to revive athletics in Nigeria! But what we hear from him is that you don't need training to win laurels in the Olympic games. Can you believe that man

Nigeria, we hail thee ....

O pari

Joebie:
Oga, my brother. South African University football is shown on Supersports. Are we still living in the stone age?
Our coaches are lazy. You are very correct. But that's not the real problem.

Modified
American football is arguably the number one sports in the United States. This is a country that almost always end up first in the olympics.
Ask any typical american what their favorite football team is. They will give you two teams. A college football team,and a national football team. Why? Their system is so organized that before a talented footballer graduates from high school they have already gotten university scholarship. The university football league is shown on TV.. it's as huge as the National Football League. Today, we have South Africa doing something very similar with their football at the university level, and someone is surprised they came to Nigeria to beat us.

Are we still living in caves? Just as many Nigerians still strive to go abroad because of the bad system here, we will continue to try to cap foreign based players because of our poor football development that does not guarantee the availability of stars. So whether we are 500 million in the country or not, the truth remains we cannot churn out stars regularly from the home front. The earlier we accept these facts the better for us. Our anger and sentiments is misdirected. Onuoha is just one individual. We have way bigger problems. We can claim to be talented, but still there is little evidence.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pyrex23(m): 3:18pm On Aug 11, 2017
tbaba1234:
newcastle is my preferred move
will like to see him work under benitez

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:19pm On Aug 11, 2017
Now we have started talking. Even in football, is it not past glory? And that's the only sport we have put all our effort on.. Athletics have long been lost. Are we even seeing how the South Africans are performing in other sports? And we dey claim Giant of Africa.. Let's start being real and start tackling our issues.. instead of lying to ourselves.

Icon79:
My brother, you hit the nail squarely on the head!

Nigeria seems to the only country on the planet that is retrogressing rather than progressing. I am currently watching the IAAF World Championships in London and it breaks my heart to realize that Nigeria is no longer a force to be reckoned with in track and field events any more. Nigeria used to be amongst the world's best in the sprint events (100, 200, 400 men and women) and even in the Long and Triple Jumps. What happened to sports in Nigeria? Do they even still have the NUGA games and the Poly Games any more? Can you tell me what a country with almost 300 million people can not discover a few world class sprinters? Whereas Jamaica with about 2 million people present some of the best sprinters on the planet!

Nigeria is a very lazy country where people, especially those in the govt., expect to reap where they did not sow. I have asked your Minister of Sports several times, on twitter, to tell me how he plans to revive athletics in Nigeria! But what we hear from him is that you don't need training to win laurels in the Olympic games. Can you believe that man

Nigeria, we hail thee ....

O pari

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:25pm On Aug 11, 2017
What breaks my heart is that the talents are there but we're so disorganized and can't get our acts together. When I came to Nigeria early this year, I visited the Nsukka campus of the University of Nigeria and was able to catch their school team. Boy, I can tell you that they have some really good players. But do we have any coaches going to monitor those guys? Nope! They are all staying in Abuja or flying overseas collecting "estacodes" or whatever da heck they call it.

Nigeria, is definitely a failed state but that's only because of our leaders.

O pari

Joebie:
Now we have started talking. Even in football, is it not past glory? And that's the only sport we have put all our effort on.. Athletics have long been lost. Are we even seeing how the South Africans are performing in other sports? And we dey claim Giant of Africa.. Let's start being real and start tackling our issues.. instead of lying to ourselves.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:33pm On Aug 11, 2017
With over 300 million people who love football so much, how could there not be talents? But you know just saying it does not do it. So you are very right. WE are not organized in anything as a people. So it's the Nigerian way. When you are driving the streets in Nigeria, it is free for all. I personally don't know how our officials return from abroad, but are not ashamed of themselves. No form of guilt at all.

In fact today they say Lagos is developed, look at our airport. You mean a country that calls itself one of the best in Africa does not have a decent airport? Seriously? And we host international games, don't we even have a healthy pride that wants to protect the image of the country? And someone says i'm dragging Nigeria in the mud over a none issue. Seriously. There are just so many wrongs that is out there. if your house is dirty and visitor is coming, get small shame na. Clean it.

Modified.
But it's not just the leaders.. Maybe far back in the days it was just them. Today, it is our way.

Icon79:
What breaks my heart is that the talents are there but we're so disorganized and can't get our acts together. When I came to Nigeria early this year, I visited the Nsukka campus of the University of Nigeria and was able to catch their school team. Boy, I can tell you that they have some really good players. But do we have any coaches going to monitor those guys? Nope! They are all staying in Abuja or flying overseas collecting "estacodes" or whatever da heck they call it.

Nigeria, is definitely a failed state but that's only because of our leaders.

O pari

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:49pm On Aug 11, 2017
kennysville:

My friend, I want to believe you are intelligent. Therefore, I would rather u stick to the narrative and skip the part where u tacitly insult other people. I dont engage in insulting people and so I dont suppose I ought to be insulted. Kindly choose your targets wisely.

That said, from the days of Justin and john fashanu, we have had this issue. Where we have to plead with players born in foreign land to play for us. Let us not forget that Nigerians arent so forgiving. Fashanu played soccer to the highest level. After he retired, Then he remembered he wants to input in to the football organisation in Nigeria. What stood against him is just his decision to not want to play for Nigeria when needed the most. The same played out with Agbonlahor, Ade Akinbiyi and all 3 lions wannabes.Before the advent of egunje nko? Have you asked yourself that? Before Nigeria became a corrupt state nko? I say once again, whether you are better than what we have or not, if you are not willing then off u go. Forget about how big or better you might think you are. If he was that good, he would be playing for chelsea or Man U or Arsenal. Sometimes we tend to forget that its TV cameras that made us know certain players. What about the ones we never discovered on the streets of Ajegunle? In a nation of 170 million, it should be a priviledge that you got called on to represent Nigeria. And i think this is where most of our players get it wrong. SMALL money now, they act like they own the state.

They should always remember that it was a case of time and chance. I remember when FA sent Idah Peterside to speak to this dude. The guy was gonna play for 3lions and told Idah categorically he doesnt "feel" nigerian. Now in the twilight of his career, he suddenly is a candidate?
Idahwas like if any one mentions this dude again in nigerian football circles or thathe now has a change of heart, he gonna strip naked and curse him.(Not them say... he said it on super sport programme Soccer Africa)

Everything cannot be blamed on egunje. If you dont feel like a Nigerian,its nobody's fault. We wish you good luck breaking into the 3lions or whichever team. Up till today, apart from Dele Alli, which player of Nigerian descent played more than 6 competitive games for England? They always end with U21 sides. And now we have to kiss the ground they walk on because they are partly Nigerian? Haba
Let it be clear, Nigeria isnt your second choice because you carry british passport. This is the problem I have with people who altogether forgot their roots and because of greener pastures forgot to train their Kids as to where they come from. I can understand for the ones who had absentee Nigerian dads. What do we say about o es who actually have both parents being Nigerians? Like it or Not, if Sone Aluko chooses not to play for Nigeria again, he has something to show for it. AFCON medal!
Thats as close as it gets.

And on a final note, Nigeria possesses abundant talent because we dont teach football. It is practically in us. If we develop our own academies and structures that allow for growth of players, there wont be this talk of Foreign born . I dont have anything against this,but lets stop making lame excuses for these born and bred in Lodon kids. I will personally blame parents. Roots are important!

Kenny my friend, you have said all there is to be said about this foreign born issue.

When I saw the call for Onuoha on this thread, with statistics and what have you, I shook my head and picked up my keyboard but the response from safarigirl, calmed my nerves.

I was personally, even more pained than Idah Peterside, by the way Nedum went about his rejection of Nigeria. Then he was at Mancity and thought he had arrived but that marked the beginning of his downfall.

CALL NEDUM ONUOHA FOR WHAT!!!! angry angry angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndreTAyodeji(m): 3:49pm On Aug 11, 2017
tbaba1234:
If this turns out to be true then i am really happy for this guy.Dude started out from Nigeria had stints in Ghana,Ivory coast,Switzerland,Isreal then Austria and now England?!!.The shocking thing is dude is still 24 which shows man management and having good agent and advisors around him. Big ups to his handlers and he himself because his story shows focus,determination,ambition to play at the highest level.I wont be suprised if dude still move to a bigger club before his peak.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:58pm On Aug 11, 2017
pyrex23:

newcastle is my preferred move
will like to see him work under benitez

Totally agree.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 4:00pm On Aug 11, 2017
Icon4s:

Kenny my friend, you have said all there is to be said about this foreign born issue.

When I saw the call for Onuoha on this thread, with statistics and what have you, I shook my head and picked up my keyboard but the response from safarigirl, calmed my nerves.

I was personally, even more pained than Idah Peterside, by the way Nedum went about his rejection of Nigeria. Then he was at Mancity and thought he had arrived but that marked the beginning of his downfall.

Thanks bro
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pyrex23(m): 4:22pm On Aug 11, 2017
;Dbarca are seriosly looking for neymar replacement....hazard...coutino...dembele...now Asencio....all is well..
Neymar really left a big hole..
Dont they have academy players who they can manage...
Or they shud come to npfl....

;Dbarca are seriosly looking for neymar replacement....hazard...coutino...dembele...now Asencio....all is well..
Or they shud come to npfl....cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 4:43pm On Aug 11, 2017
pyrex23:

wen i see blues i think say na chelsea...lols

Resounding Yes.

If he shows his quality in that league and I mean he has to be one of the best in his position in the entire league. Then without any doubt he will be bought by a premiership team possibly in the January transfer window.

Tammy Abraham became hot property after becoming one of the top goal scorers in the championship last season.

In my opinion in terms of career progression it's better to be in the Championship in a top team than playing in the lowly Turkish league.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:51pm On Aug 11, 2017
Oh yes. Omeruo couldn't even cope there

komekn:

Resounding Yes.

If he shows his quality in that league and I mean he has to be one of the best in his position in the entire league. Then without any doubt he will be bought by a premiership team possibly in the January transfer window.

Tammy Abraham became hot property after becoming one of the top goal scorers in the championship last season.

In my opinion in terms of career progression it's better to be in the Championship in a top team than playing in the lowly Turkish league.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:51pm On Aug 11, 2017
pyrex23:
Or they shud come to npfl....

Or they shud come to npfl....cheesy

If it were up to me I would sign Anthony Martial from United. IMO he is more like Neymar.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:56pm On Aug 11, 2017
haha.. for your mind na downfall oh.. how many Nigerians go grab Championship opportunity with both of their hands. He will be in the EPL again soon. I respect people's personal decisions. No be me get their career. Our leaders are not better than them.

Let the fun continue. I'm enjoying the anger. Trust me from Emenike to Onuora.. Watch out for the next call. you know I can always be the last man standing. Me vs everyone.. I no send lol..

Icon4s:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:00pm On Aug 11, 2017
Well said.. I noticed that too. Slow but sure progression.

AndreTAyodeji:
If this turns out to be true then i am really happy for this guy.Dude started out from Nigeria had stints in Ghana,Ivory coast,Switzerland,Isreal then Austria and now England?!!.The shocking thing is dude is still 24 which shows man management and having good agent and advisors around him. Big ups to his handlers and he himself because his story shows focus,determination,ambition to play at the highest level.I wont be suprised if dude still move to a bigger club before his peak.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:27pm On Aug 11, 2017
VVV Venlo Confirm They Are Thrashing Out Nwakali Deal With Arsenal

Published: August 11, 2017
VVV Venlo Confirm They Are Thrashing Out Nwakali Deal With ArsenalNewly-promoted Dutch Eredivisie side VVV Venlo are hoping to clinch the signature of Nigeria U20 international Kelechi Nwakali in the summer transfer window.

Only last week, the Limburg based club quickly dismissed speculation linking them with a move for the attacking midfielder but the 'story has changed', with VVV coach Maurice Steijn now confirming that talks are in progress regarding a loan deal.

''We're still considering a player like Nwakali, waiting for him to come from Arsenal,'' Steijn told De Limburger.

Nwakali's elder brother Allwell earlier informed this website that talks are ongoing with VVV Venlo, FC Utrecht, Basel and other unnamed teams over a possible loan deal, which more or less confirms the statements of Maurice Steijn that the transfer is not yet done and dusted.

The 19-year-old Kelechi Nwakali spent the whole of last season on loan at MVV Maastricht.

Igho Kingsley

--ANS
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:30pm On Aug 11, 2017
Nigerians face off in the JUPILER LEAGUE tonight.

Peter Olayinka's Wargem Vs Dennis Bonaventure's Club Brugge.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:32pm On Aug 11, 2017
Arsenal VS Leicester tonight.
7.45 Nigerian Time
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:35pm On Aug 11, 2017
Ebuehi's Den Haag Versus Cyriel Dessers' Utrecht. 6pm Nigerian Time tonight.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 6:26pm On Aug 11, 2017
Cyriel Dessers has done it again. Goal!

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 6:39pm On Aug 11, 2017
zuchyblink:
Cyriel Dessers has done it again. Goal!
these are the players we should be talking about inviting, no the likes of Osaze and Nedum

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Karlovich: 6:49pm On Aug 11, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Belgium calls him up for their next game
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:58pm On Aug 11, 2017
Hopefully he says no to Belgium lol

Karlovich:
I wouldn't be surprised if Belgium calls him up for their next game
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndreTAyodeji(m): 7:03pm On Aug 11, 2017
Joebie:
Well said.. I noticed that too. Slow but sure progression.

Thanks man,thought i was the only one who noticed.i think he will be a hit because i have been watching a lot of his videos on the tube and he`s impressed me.His counter-pressing,pace plus his ability to play anywhere across the front line will be an added advantage to him.Well i guess more selection problems for coach Gernot Rohr!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pyrex23(m): 7:15pm On Aug 11, 2017
nacho n iwobi on bench.....ndidi starts
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Karlovich: 7:29pm On Aug 11, 2017
Joebie:
Hopefully he says no to Belgium lol

that will be unlikely, he will play for the country that calls him up first, I don't see Nigeria doing that. same thing happened with Marvin ogunjimi

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:39pm On Aug 11, 2017
Hahaha . I can tell u Dessiers feels more Nigerian lol

Karlovich:
that will be unlikely, he will play for the country that calls him up first, I don't see Nigeria doing that. same thing happened with Marvin ogunjimi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:40pm On Aug 11, 2017
I'm surprised
pyrex23:
nacho n iwobi on bench.....ndidi starts

(1) (2) (3) ... (1263) (1264) (1265) (1266) (1267) (1268) (1269) ... (16430) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.