Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,018 members, 7,925,165 topics. Date: Monday, 19 August 2024 at 11:23 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1405) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12280531 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1402) (1403) (1404) (1405) (1406) (1407) (1408) ... (16530) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EmmGee: 6:05pm On Sep 03, 2017
tbaba1234:
'

Man city ke??

I am an Arsenal supporter on leave till the club starts showing some ambition. I am looking for a secondary club to support.
Same here.
I'm on loan at Liverpool

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:07pm On Sep 03, 2017
Mujtahida:

I don't think he'd even change the line up. It was expected that Cameroun will sit back and hit us on the counter but we were the ones that used that approach. Now with this reverse fixture do you see us changing or sticking to the same game plan considering that Cameroun has nothing but pride to play for.

I see Cameroon coming at us with full force. I still do not know what Broos thought when he pressed us high. That was a disaster approach. Even more surprising that Rohr expected it.

May be the South African loss created an illusion that we were weak. I expect Cameroon to come all out again and agree we should adopt the same approach. We should exploit gaps created when the press and send daggers to their hearts with accurate counters.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndreTAyodeji(m): 6:08pm On Sep 03, 2017
OMANBALA1:

I would think that at some point Rohr will substitute Simon Moses,move Vic Moses to the right and unleash Etebor in the Left midfield; Or sub Mikel for Etebor.

In the the match against Cameroon when Mikel was substituted I was thinking Etebor would come in and now I was like has he gone down the pecking order ??...hmm. Is Mikel Agu above Etebor in the pecking order ?
Nah,I don't think Etebo has slipped down the pecking order.I think Rohr wanted a clean sheet that was why a defensive minded player in Mikel Agu came on ahead of Etebo who is attack minded.I really would like to see him play some part in tommorow's match.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 6:10pm On Sep 03, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Well kinda complicated to say.... it depends on how Rohr intends to utilise Etebor for the foreseeable future.

Rohr has only used him in central midfield as part of the double pivot with Onazi against Algeria and as the AMF against South Africa....

Rohr has not tried him out on the wings yet... so it's hard to say which of the positions Etebor is limited to and then define his place based on pecking order from there.

But let me do a quick analysis of this....

On the wings he will be behind the likes of Iwobi, Musa and Simon Moses.... even Henry Onyekuru may get a look in on the wings before Etebor.

Note: VicMo is King already on both right and left flanks. wink

Others not yet invited which are wingers (left/right) are also Samuel Adegbenro and Samuel Kalu, etc...

In the SS role... Etebor will definitely be behind Iheanacho...

In the AMF role... he is behind Mikel Obi, Iheanacho and maybe even an Iwobi (Rohr knows about Iwobi's central AMF abilities and have seen him play there for Arsenal too).

In the Central/defensive midfield... He is behind Ndidi and Onazi... he competes with Agu and Ogu for that third slot from the bench. And from the last match, Rohr preferred to bring in Agu.

So it depends Sir Odenigbo... smiley

Nice to see you dissect the team in such a fine details. Indeed as talented and valued as Etebor is he seem sadly down the pecking order. Which says only one thing that Super Eagles is loaded with immense talents....BUT ARENT YOU FORGETTING SOMEBODY....JOEL L OBI ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:13pm On Sep 03, 2017
Mujtahida:

Thanks Sir Icon4s. Though in my years watching the Super Eagles I've endured more bitter and cruel defeats against our team but that defeat by South Africa disconnected something inside me. It was so painful I couldn't bear to read anything Super Eagles. Perhaps it was because it was a historic defeat, I can't say. But yesterday's victory is a healer, a good tonic for our souls.
One of the reasons why I took a compulsory leave from the thread. I wish we can beat South Africa 4:0

Modified

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 6:13pm On Sep 03, 2017
Yea, I know most of you have suddenly forgotten about the most gifted attacking midfielder we have right now,Joel Obi.....lol. Etebor might not even go to the world cup if we qualify....lol

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:15pm On Sep 03, 2017
Firstly, we need a level playing field. The more the f-monikers the merrier. So much hunters, but where are the commensurate birds? Oya all the ghost f-monikers, step in. Trudy12 (was it?) etc

Secondly, do4luv14 Na my main bro . We know how we roll

TheSuperNerd:
Okay then.... well... newsflash for you my good man.... You want Madam Safarigirl... you go thru them... grin

Do4luv14... Icon79.... they are the main-the-main... but the guy from her school (won't mention his moniker) was just checking on her.... wink

The first two are the main Contenders... a certain SirManjar showed interest too... but... I think he has given up.... lolll

I am telling you man... The media spoke of Iheanacho being chased by a couple of clubs before Leicester won his signature and even Mbappe and Dembele getting deals after much speculation.... but they miss the fact that Safarigirl is the hottest cake being chased this window.... and now They have to wait till January... how sad. sad

So Oga Joebie... you want a chance to sit next to her in a flight to comfort her.... then behold your contenders above. grin

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndreTAyodeji(m): 6:19pm On Sep 03, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
I like the way you put it concerning Echiejile....and yes Ola did say he is much more comfortable as a RB/RWB than at LB/LWB.... he plays both roles well... but does one much better.

I see Echiejile starting too. We would be facing a huge crowd of Angry and revenge-seeking Camerounian fans who will wanna sew us lose by all means. I don't want Aina to crack under the pressure of trying to impress on his debut. Echiejile will start... unless... wink

Our team helped Echiejile and covered for his deficiency when it comes to pace but his experience is invaluable and he is still a fine baller... his ball controls still rock. wink

In the long run... I think Rohr should focus on getting/scouting more LB options... to "understudy" Echiejile (understudy is the decoy term here) but actually to be an upgrade on Echiejile in the long run...

Jordan comes to mind if we can get him.... uhmmm... Josh Debayo isn't proven yet... and Komekn's Sheyi Ojo... well... maybe he should be looked at too... since he plays LWB now I think...

Another matter is Mikel's long term replacement... Kelechi Nwakali comes to mind.... I would also add Ovie Ejaria if we can get him too.

Could say so much but lemme not leave the present and gobtoo far ahead into the future... we have a game in less than 25hrs from now. A game we must not lose.... at least for our WCQ unbeaten run's sake. grin

Yo bro,have you watched any of JT's game?I've only watched his youtube videos and i can deduce from those videos that dude is a baller.I think the NFF should approach him to pledge allegiance to the SE before Gemany give him a 2 minute debut.LOL
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:21pm On Sep 03, 2017
Well.... I have not forgotten honestly... when talking about our midfield options in CM and DM and AM... I only listed those that have always been invited under Rohr... but for the wings I had to mention a few uncapped yet....

But if I treat midfield the same say... then I will also include Anderson Esiti who has been invited before yes... But have since also shown some subtle improvements in his game.

But on Joel Obi.... my goodness... we have a player reborn... hopefully no more injuries for him and we may just see his return to the Super Eagles and he will compete in the CM and AM roles.... Joel Obi is a CAM (Central/Attacking Midfielder).

Joel Obi is certainly on my radar... and I think Rohr is watching him too.

OMANBALA1:

Nice to see you dissect the team in such a fine details. Indeed as talented and valued as Etebor is he seem sadly down the pecking order. Which says only one thing that Super Eagles is loaded with immense talents....BUT ARENT YOU FORGETTING SOMEBODY....JOEL L OBI ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:24pm On Sep 03, 2017
safarigirl:
Big Brother Naija thread is the highest with 3000+ pages
ok, but I can surmise that the Uniben thread made history as the first thread on nairaland to hit up to 2000 pages, which is noteworthy smiley as it was created 2nd of January 2015, while Big brother Africa thread was created on January of this year. It grew to that extent as a result of many followers and participants. Nothing special smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Geestunnar(m): 6:25pm On Sep 03, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Football betting season 11 is already on 3009. Think that will end as the longest.

This thread is actually the longest, currently on 4435 pages.
Link below:

https://www.nairaland.com/871307/official-manchester-united-fan-thread/4435#871307.141930

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 6:27pm On Sep 03, 2017
blueto:
ok, but I can surmise that the Uniben thread made history as the first thread on nairaland to hit up to 2000 pages, which is noteworthy smiley as it was created 2nd of January 2015, while Big brother Africa thread was created on January of this year. It grew to that extent as a result of many followers and participants. Nothing special smiley
Big Brother Africa thread was created in October 2014 and it hit 2000 pages in December of 2014....you would lose that bet
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:27pm On Sep 03, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I see Cameroon coming at us with full force. I still do not know what Broos thought when he pressed us high. That was a disaster approach. Even more surprising that Rohr expected it.

May be the South African loss created an illusion that we were weak. I expect Cameroon to come all out again and agree we should adopt the same approach. We should exploit gaps created when the press and send a dagger to their hearts with accurate counters.
I really think that ighalo first goal...really made the Cameroonians to rush out on us...
and they got more than they deserve
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 6:28pm On Sep 03, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Looolll.... make up ya mind mehn... cheesy

welcome back bro grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:29pm On Sep 03, 2017
safarigirl:
No thanks, I dey fear dick sef grin
haa shuuu grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:29pm On Sep 03, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
I like the way you put it concerning Echiejile....and yes Ola did say he is much more comfortable as a RB/RWB than at LB/LWB.... he plays both roles well... but does one much better.

I see Echiejile starting too. We would be facing a huge crowd of Angry and revenge-seeking Camerounian fans who will wanna sew us lose by all means. I don't want Aina to crack under the pressure of trying to impress on his debut. Echiejile will start... unless... wink

Our team helped Echiejile and covered for his deficiency when it comes to pace but his experience is invaluable and he is still a fine baller... his ball controls still rock. wink

In the long run... I think Rohr should focus on getting/scouting more LB options... to "understudy" Echiejile (understudy is the decoy term here) but actually to be an upgrade on Echiejile in the long run...

Jordan comes to mind if we can get him.... uhmmm... Josh Debayo isn't proven yet... and Komekn's Sheyi Ojo... well... maybe he should be looked at too... since he plays LWB now I think...

Another matter is Mikel's long term replacement... Kelechi Nwakali comes to mind.... I would also add Ovie Ejaria if we can get him too.

Could say so much but lemme not leave the present and gobtoo far ahead into the future... we have a game in less than 25hrs from now. A game we must not lose.... at least for our WCQ unbeaten run's sake. grin

yeah, it shows providence when trying to groom new players to take over key roles in the team. Very thoughtful of you. Anything can happen too as God can bless us with more impressively talented young lads.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 6:29pm On Sep 03, 2017
OMANBALA1:
Yea, I know most of you have suddenly forgotten about the most gifted attacking midfielder we have right now,Joel Obi.....lol. Etebor might not even go to the world cup if we qualify....lol
no be if Joel village people gree am go? Dude is so fragile, gets injured when it matters
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:30pm On Sep 03, 2017
Lol.... Oya make them talk naa... Only Safarigirl can. She was here when Eseose9 dropped her first comments on the thread....

And there are others who view and stay mute... I saw a lot today...

Shade86... Lovelygurl (seems she came visiting.. hardly see her here viewing before and after my comeback).... Trudy12.... Madam Confun hardly shows up (but hey.. she is no go area... she is my senior colleague in the field and is taken too).... Engirl or something *scratches head*... well the list goes on...

even saw Eseose9 I think?...

Anyway... here... have your pick.... most of them prefer to just observe and read through... sometimes I feel for Safarigirl here... about time she got a sister or two here you know... we guys can be kinda boring.... grin

Well... goodluck... lemme go engage Sir Omanbala1 on more analytical discussions... ciao Loverboy... cheesy

Joebie:
Firstly, we need a level playing field. The more the f-monikers the merrier. So much hunters, but where are the commensurate birds? Oya all the ghost f-monikers, step in. Trudy12 (was it?) etc

Secondly, do4luv14 Na my main bro . We know how we roll

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 6:30pm On Sep 03, 2017
Nigerdeltaboi:
haa shuuu grin grin
I sh-it you not my brother
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:31pm On Sep 03, 2017
Must you sneeze on the lady? Dammit! sad

Nigerdeltaboi:
haa shuuu grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:32pm On Sep 03, 2017
It seems like his injury days may be over.... let's keep watching shaa.

safarigirl:
no be if Joel village people gree am go? Dude is so fragile, gets injured when it matters
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:35pm On Sep 03, 2017
I really pray for more of that too Sir Blueto....... Mehn I saw what Isco was doing to Italy and what he did to veratti and was like....

"Lord!!!!!!!! chaaaiiiiii!!!! .. I want more super quality players for our team..."

I was mad with excitement..... we will get there...

blueto:
yeah, it shows providence when trying to groom new players to take over key roles in the team. Very thoughtful of you. Anything can happen too as God can bless us with more impressively talented young lads.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:36pm On Sep 03, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

I believe if we play out cards well...
we can still get ejaria....
all pinnick need do...it to get in touch wit his parents.....
and for....Aina in place of elderson...
I don't think that will be a big deal...
the young lad....can man up not forget...
they might have still not recover from the stress and play of the last match...
*fatigue
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:38pm On Sep 03, 2017
terzurum5:

One of the reasons why I took a compulsory leave from the thread. I wish we can't beat South Africa 4:0
Nothing is impossible Bro
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:39pm On Sep 03, 2017
Awwwwwwwwn Thank you Sir Jotey..... Been a while I saw your comment so I had to quote you.... cheesy

Trust you are doing good Sir.

jotey:

welcome back bro grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:39pm On Sep 03, 2017
Humility017:

I really think that ighalo first goal...really made the Cameroonians to rush out on us...
and they got more than they deserve

They were already pressing before the goal but Ighalo's goal made them more desperate.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:41pm On Sep 03, 2017
just read...on Tottenham hotspurs...
enlisting 6 players of Nigeria descent on their 2017/2018 epl sqaud...

it's like...nigerians are taking over football in Europe...
all academics in Europe especially in England..we have talents all over...
I think the nff really have much to do....getting the best ones play for us and at the same time groom youngsters here in Nigeria
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:42pm On Sep 03, 2017
OMANBALA1:

He is too prone to injury though.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:42pm On Sep 03, 2017
Geestunnar:

This thread is actually the longest, currently on 4435 pages.
Link below:

https://www.nairaland.com/871307/official-manchester-united-fan-thread/4435#871307.141930

Yes, but that Manchester United thread was opened in 2012. Football betting season 11 opened January this year. The momentum and traffic there is crazy.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:43pm On Sep 03, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

They were already pressing before the goal but Ighalo's goal made them more desperate.
yeah you're right....
that ighalo goal made them more desperate

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:46pm On Sep 03, 2017
Hey ladies and Gentlemen.... and Guests... grin Yes you! yooooouuu the guests... those number of guests who view this thread too.... we appreciate you.... Muuaaahhh.... grin

Plsss read this interview which I find finny because of Balogun's answer.... even now he doesn't wanna hurt anyone.... cheesy
..............................................................................................

Leon Balogun – It Would Have Been Hard To Opt For Nigeria If Germany Had Called Me Up

Super Eagles defender Leon Balogun said he has no regret and he feels proud playing for the Super Eagles of Nigeria even though he would have love to play for Germany.

Balogun made this assertion in an interview with OmaSports monitored by Owngoalnigeria.com when he was asked if he would have still opt for Nigeria if Germany has called him up same time as Nigeria.

Born in Germany to Nigerian parents, the Mainz 05 man who revealed he has always love the idea of playing for Nigeria since he was a kid, admitted that he would have probably quit international football if both nations have called him up almost the same time.

Popular Nigerian journalist Oma Akatugba who conducted the interview quizzed the Germany defender on if he would have still played for Nigeria, if Germany had called him up and his response showed his love for both nations.

” I can’t really tell because I’m very proud of both sides and for me while I was young and I was playing those video games, I always prefer to play with Nigeria”, Balogun told Omasports TV

“Because when you remember your first question how it was for me to grow up in Germany, you feel the difference sometimes, that’s what I said, and I think that is the point that connects me to Nigeria more because even though I’m German and Nigerian , that’s why you always have this strong connection to the other side.

” So this is very been difficult (to choose between both nations , if they had called him up same time) because as a footballer you want to be successful, and we don’t have to lie about it, Germany always have the assurance they’re going to go far.

“But this is a very good question because as I said in video games I always prefer Nigeria, I also had dreams of playing for the Super Eagles one day, of course with the successes in Nigeria, in Germany you see better opportunities.

” I can’t really tell you because I would have been proud to have the opportunity to play for both but if I had the choice to say Germany or Nigeria, I probably would have said I don’t want to hurt nobody. I’m staying out of both teams”.

**Osas Mahawi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/09/03/leon-balogun-it-would-have-been-hard-to-opt-for-nigeria-if-germany-had-called-me-up/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:46pm On Sep 03, 2017
tbaba1234:

He is too prone to injury though.
yeah...same with the LB Nura Abdullahi in AS roma

(1) (2) (3) ... (1402) (1403) (1404) (1405) (1406) (1407) (1408) ... (16530) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 14 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.