Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,980 members, 7,925,044 topics. Date: Monday, 19 August 2024 at 09:23 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1408) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12279636 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1405) (1406) (1407) (1408) (1409) (1410) (1411) ... (16530) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:17pm On Sep 03, 2017
Ezenwa's confidence was a welcome relief from Akpeyi's obvious shakiness. His confidence gave confidence to his defence. He did what he had to do well. Yes, Cameroon did not have many shots but Ezenwa passed whatever was thrown at him.

As regards his 'showboating', he was simply wasting time. That could be vital in Yaounde especially if we have a slender lead.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:26pm On Sep 03, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
So only one aerial ball that got loosed was all you saw abi? What about all the aerial balls he caught, won and handled beautifully? smiley

What about the sweet stop/catch he made from Anguissa's top drive to the left bottom corner of Ezenwa's goal? smiley

Ezenwa made a game high 16 recoveries and most of them were aerial balls won and you say he was shaky?? Sir.. go and watch that game again.

Even Ezenwa's first aerial save brought a handshake out of Aboubakar... his confidence was wicked.

The aerial ball he spilled was due to unavoidable interference... Apart from that he had no trouble at all dealing with such even in the face of Aboubakar's and Ngadeu's heights... he was brave.

And for the other shot he had to catch twice... that was from Fai on the right Wing... Fai's shot took a sharp bend and was almost finding the last angle of Ezenwa's bottom left corner but Ezenwa got down well to keep it out even though he had to handle it twice because of the tight angle of the curve of Fai's shot.

But all through... Ezenwa showed great grip and handles of the ball.... he even fooled Aboubakar in a neuer-like manner... right from his days at Ocean Boys FC in 2007/2008, He has always been a keeper that loves to display confidence and showboat with a smile on his face. But is he a good goalie? Yes. he is.

As if it's machines playing not human beings.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:32pm On Sep 03, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
I saw a clip on twitter on Enyeama's progress with his right knee... he seems to be working hard to get back into shape... I reckon that by Year end or January he will be back... Enyeama will return but Only if he can get himself a club by January according to Gernot Rohr.

Ikeme is also still in the picture if he can return early enough from his health setback.

So for now... Ezenwa it is. Followed by Alampasu is who making progress in Portugal. And ofcos Ajiboye is there and The not-so-reliable Akpeyi.

Outside these we have David Nwokolor at Rijeka too. The situation is what it is... but Ezenwa seems better than Akpeyi confidence-wise and handles-wise.

Medically what's the possibility of Ikeme's recovery. His situation fills me with sadness.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:33pm On Sep 03, 2017
AIG07:
Me didn't see any showboating o o o. I only saw an happy man who grew with confidence with every save...

Someone reported it here that he was just busy smiling while the team was filing out. Whereas Moses was just boning face. Abeg free the guy. If we have another clean sheet tomorow, expect him to be in goal in our subsequent matches even if eyeama is back.
I've watched that match thrice. Didn't see anything offish Ezenwa did ooo

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:36pm On Sep 03, 2017
Rohr likes Mikel Agu. I think he is managing Agbo because of a lack of center back options. Aaron Samuel did not impress.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:39pm On Sep 03, 2017
The chances of his recovery are quite good based on cancer stats across various cancer organization sites for Ikeme's kind of Leukaemia being Acute Myeloid or Acute Lyphoblastic... not sure which but it is one of them... All he needs is our prayers. He seems very lively and positive himself (posted a tweet of himself changing medical wards for tests and he was like... "Hey! it is deadline day and I am doing my medicals too... hehehe" ) and optimism is a good factor that can swing the whole thing in his favor.... "Power of Attraction" smiley

So plsss... when you think of our Super Eagles just remember Ikeme and say a little prayer for him. It will go a long way.

I believe he will recover... his chances are good.

Mujtahida:

Medically what's the possibility of Ikeme's recovery. His situation fills me with sadness.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:43pm On Sep 03, 2017
17 year old scoring a big goal for Wales.

Check out @ViktorFagerLFC's Tweet: http://twitter.com/ViktorFagerLFC/status/904095799159787521?s=09

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:45pm On Sep 03, 2017
Mujtahida:

From what i have read, his chances are good especially as it was most likely caught early.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:45pm On Sep 03, 2017
Ben Woodburn.... smiley

Already being touted as the next big star after Giggs and Bale.

tbaba1234:

Check out @ViktorFagerLFC's Tweet: http://twitter.com/ViktorFagerLFC/status/904095799159787521?s=09
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:45pm On Sep 03, 2017
The only thing i remember of Ezenwa is his celebration reminiscent of Robert Kidiaba
Mujtahida:

I've watched that match thrice. Didn't see anything offish Ezenwa did ooo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:47pm On Sep 03, 2017
tbaba1234:

I hope we adopt such confidence in our young players, especially when they are really good. No need to wait too long to get them in camp or playing. Nice post.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:48pm On Sep 03, 2017
That's what we were doing with Osimgen. What if he scored?
TheGoodJoe:

I hope we adopt such confidence in our young players, especially when they are really good. No need to wait too long to get them in camp or playing. Nice post.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:48pm On Sep 03, 2017
Babangida: Eagles Must Adopt Safety First Approach Vs Cameroon In Yaounde
By James Agberebi

Former Nigeria international, Tijani Babangida has advised the Super Eagles to adopt a cautious approach in their 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifiers second leg match against Cameroon in Yaoundé on Monday., Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

The Eagles blew away Cameroon with aresounding 4-0 win in the first leg played in Uyo on Friday to secure their third straight win of the World Cup qualifying Group B.

The win saw the Eagles earn nine points after three games while Cameroon are third on two points.

In a chat with Completesportsnigeria.com, Babangida who was in the Super Eagles side that lost on penalties to Cameroon in the final of the 2000 Africa Cup of Nations in Lagos, advised Gernot Rohr’s team to be patient in their approach to the match.

“My advice to the Super Eagles is that they should be patient,” Babangida said.

“In the first leg, it was Cameroon in the first 10 minutes of the game, but the Eagles kept calm and warmed themselves into the game.

“So in Yaoundé, I would want them to sit back and watch what Cameroon have to offer before making their move.”

Following Zambia’s 3-1 home win against Algeria on Saturday, the Atlanta 1996 Olympic gold medal winner urged the Eagles to focus on their own games and not bother about how other teams in the group are faring.

He added:”No team must be underrated because teams are improving. Who says Zambia cannot go to Algeria and get a win? But my advice to the Eagles is that they must not worry about what the other teams are doing, rather they should focus on their own games.”

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/babangida-eagles-must-adopt-safety-first-approach-vs-cameroon-yaounde/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:48pm On Sep 03, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
The chances of his recovery are quite good based on cancer stats across various cancer organization sites for Ikeme's kind of Leukaemia being Acute Myeloid or Acute Lyphoblastic... not sure which but it is one of them... All he needs is our prayers. He seems very lively and positive himself (posted a tweet of himself changing medical wards for tests and he was like... "Hey! it is deadline day and I am doing my medicals too... hehehe" ) and optimism is a good factor that can swing the whole thing in his favor.... "Power of Attraction" smiley

So plsss... when you think of our Super Eagles just remember Ikeme and say a little prayer for him. It will go a long way.

I believe he will recover... his chances are good.

Thanks for these words of assurance. He's always in my good thoughts and I pray he recovers not merely just to play but to live, he's got so many years in him, plus his young family to take care of. Read that Wolverhampton has been immense and I am glad the team showed that solidarity and love before the Cameroun game and the dedication of the victory to him.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:49pm On Sep 03, 2017
Lolll that mad DR Congo Goalie... he was the inventor naa.... But Ezenwa has super perfected it... looolll...

Joebie:
The only thing i remember of Ezenwa is his celebration reminiscent of Robert Kidiaba

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:50pm On Sep 03, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
@bolded.... Make that into the phantom zone wink

Interesting.... same lineup... What do you have to say about the view of replacing Echiejile with Aina at LB for this second leg tie? Some are saying so here shaa....

Actually I also wanna hear Chief Icon4s' thought on this and yours too in your customary sesquipedalianic manner.... cheesy

Bring on the analytical fun you guys... let's go!!!

No changes from the starting line up.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:51pm On Sep 03, 2017
.... then trust the media... "Next Yekini" tag will be quickly bestowed and he shall be knighted Sir Osimhen... lolll

grin

Joebie:
That's what we were doing with Osimgen. What if he scored?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:52pm On Sep 03, 2017
Hmmmm... just as I thought... smiley
Chief Icon4s... I greet you Sir.
Icon4s:

No changes from the starting line up.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:53pm On Sep 03, 2017
Awwwwwwwwn... it is well Sir Mujtahida... it is well.... smiley

Mujtahida:

Thanks for this words of assurance. He's always in my good thoughts and I pray he recovers not merely just to play but to live, he's got so many years in him, plus his young family to take care of. Read that Wolverhampton has been immense and I am glad the team showed that solidarity and love before the Cameroun game and the dedication of the victory to him.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:56pm On Sep 03, 2017
Mikel: Hostile Cameroon Crowd Can’t Stop Super Eagles’ World Cup Mission
By Nurudeen Obalola in Yaounde

Super Eagles captain Mikel Obi has claimed that there is nothing special in playing Cameroon in Yaounde, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Nigeria play the Indomitable Lions in the second leg of a World Cup qualifying double-header here in Yaounde on Monday from 6pm having won the first clash 4-0 in Uyo on Friday night.

“There’s no big deal playing in Yaounde,” Mikel said in the pre-match press conference at the Stade Omnisport Ahmadou Ahidjo on Sunday.

“It’s no different from when we played Algeria in Uyo or Zambia in Ndola or even Cameroon in Uyo. “We play the same way we play, it’s the same players.

“Our mission at the beginning of the qualifiers was to reach the World Cup. Our goal remains the same, playing in Yaounde won’t change that.”

When Mikel, who was in sparkling form in Uyo, was reminded that Cameroon have not lost at home in years, and that he should expect a big, hostile crowd, he responded: “We’re ready for anything. Hostile supporters won’t stop us. We’ll remain calm and play our game, no matter what happens.”

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/mikel-hostile-cameroon-crowd-cant-stop-super-eagles-world-cup-mission/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:56pm On Sep 03, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
I saw a clip on twitter on Enyeama's progress with his right knee... he seems to be working hard to get back into shape... I reckon that by Year end or January he will be back... Enyeama will return but Only if he can get himself a club by January according to Gernot Rohr.

Ikeme is also still in the picture if he can return early enough from his health setback.

So for now... Ezenwa it is. Followed by Alampasu is who making progress in Portugal. And ofcos Ajiboye is there and The not-so-reliable Akpeyi.

Outside these we have David Nwokolor at Rijeka too. The situation is what it is... but Ezenwa seems better than Akpeyi confidence-wise and handles-wise.

Can any health expert in the house please enlighten me about leukemia? Because when first I heard about Ikeme's situation, I felt his career was finished.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:58pm On Sep 03, 2017
Rohr: Super Eagles Ready To Silence Yaounde Crowd

Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr is confident his team will post a positive result on Monday when they face Cameroon here on Monday night, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

The Nigerian side were devastating in Uyo on Friday night, defeating the Lions 4-0 in the first of a double-header.

“My players will do their talking on the pitch,” Rohr said during his pre-match press conference at the Stade Omnisport Ahmadou Ahidjo on Sunday, when told that Cameroon coach Hugo Broos had been boastful.

“It’s understandable that after a poor result the losing team will talk tough. It’s natural they’ll want revenge. But we’re confident of a positive result.

“Losing 4-0 can have an effect on a team and we expect Cameroon to respond tomorrow.”

Rohr is aware that Cameroonian fans will attempt to intimidate his side, but he is not fazed.

“We saw some of the Cameroon fans in Uyo on Friday, but they were quiet. We hope to keep them quiet again tomorrow,” Rohr added.

“I have complete confidence in my team. The crowd will not affect them.”

A win for Nigeria on Monday will virtually guarantee qualification, while the Cameroonians need a miracle even if they win.

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/rohr-super-eagles-ready-silence-yaounde-crowd/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:01pm On Sep 03, 2017
tbaba1234:

Seems to be a good weekend for youngsters.
I watched Venezuela play against Colombia. The Venezuelans had a 19yr old keeper. To say he was solid will be an understatement. The boy was a beast in goal.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:02pm On Sep 03, 2017
tbaba1234:

From what i have read, his chances are good especially as it was most likely caught early.
Okay. I hope for the best for him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by femianski: 9:08pm On Sep 03, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
If you are thinking what I think you are thinking.... then just don't go there.... grin

Kwarrapt! angry

Yara Yara... plsss hope our lobotomy will hold on Sir GoodJoe

It has better... wink

But seriously shaa... the hotel really looks good cheesy

hmm "lobotomy "
you sound like a medic
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 9:10pm On Sep 03, 2017
goldfish80:

Can any health expert in the house please enlighten me about leukemia? Because when first I heard about Ikeme's situation, I felt his career was finished.

they said it's acute leukamia, well it depends primarily on his blood group and how strong he is(his heart specifically), no need going deep, the report has it that Ikeme is a strong guy(I am guessing the strong guy means his heart and blood group makes sense) so he may play again, after more than a year of theraphy, I think he might even need a serious dose of psychotheraphy after that 1 year, making it to the world cup? 40% likely
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:11pm On Sep 03, 2017
Okay First of all... Leukemia is a kind of cancer. A cancer of the blood where the white blood cells are mainly affected including the bone marrow.
The anormaly is that the white blood cells are produced in large quantities and most if not all fail to mature and this disrupts the balanced ratio of red blood cells (responsible for Oxygen carriage) to White blood cells (responsible for fighting infections).

When this happens and infections and pathogens do invade the body, these immature WBCs cannot fight back. And when these leukemic WBCs accumulate beyond the normal, it interferes with Vitally precious organ amd system functions/physiology.

It affects red blood cells production meaning oxygen carriage will be threatened big time. And also platelets formation will start reducing and without platelets there will be no clotting of wounds and bruises.

So a leukemic person becomes vulnerable on the outside to any bodily harm such as bruises, internal or external harms such as bleeding and even more infections.

So that is a start... yes it is terrible but medical science has made it possible for Leukemia to be beaten.

And additionally like I told Mujtahida... it is acute Leukemia... not chronic. What I am not yet sure of is whether it is Acute Myeloid or Acute Lymphoblastic... but whatever the case his chances are quite good. He should only remian positive and so far he is doing a good job of it.

goldfish80:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:14pm On Sep 03, 2017
Is it that obvious? wink

femianski:
hmm "lobotomy " you sound like a medic
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:14pm On Sep 03, 2017
Mickael2:

they said it's acute leukamia, well it depends primarily on his blood group and how strong he is(his heart specifically), no need going deep, the report has it that Ikeme is a strong guy(I am guessing the strong guy means his heart and blood group makes sense) so he may play again, after more than a year of theraphy, I think he might even need a serious dose of psychotheraphy after that 1 year, making it to the world cup? 40% likely

Thanks for the reply. I had to ask because I followed the case of Stylian Petrov. He never returned to football after his diagnosis.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:19pm On Sep 03, 2017
CAMEROON VS NIGERIA: Ighalo Doubtful; Iheanacho, Nwakaeme Set To Replace Him

Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr has revealed that Odion Ighalo is a doubt for Monday night’s World Cup qualifier against Cameroon here in Yaounde, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Ighalo, who scored the first goal in the 4-0 on Friday in Uyo before being withdrawn with an injury, participated in the first 20 minutes of the team’s training session at the Stade Omnisport Ahmadou Ahidjo on Sunday evening that Completesportsnigeria.com was allowed to watch.

But Rohr said the China-based striker might not play as a precaution.

“Ighalo trained good but we’ll be monitoring him, we don’t want to take risks,” Rohr explained moments after the team finished training at the Stade Omnisport Ahmadou Ahidjo main pitch, which will be used for Monday’s match.

Rohr said he has ready replacements if Ighalo cannot make the match.

“Kelechi (Iheanacho) or Anthony (Nwakaeme) will be drafted in if Ighalo cannot play. We’ll make the final decision tomorrow.”
Iheanacho scored the fourth goal on Friday while Nwakaeme is waiting for his first cap.

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/cameroon-vs-nigeria-ighalo-doubtful-iheanacho-nwakaeme-set-replace/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:19pm On Sep 03, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Okay First of all... Leukemia is a kind of cancer. A cancer of the blood where the white blood cells are mainly affected including the bone marrow.
The anormaly is that the white blood cells are produced in large quantities and most if not all fail to mature and this disrupts the balanced ratio of red blood cells (responsible for Oxygen carriage) to White blood cells (responsible for fighting infections).

When this happens and infections and pathogens do invade the body, these immature WBCs cannot fight back. And when these leukemic WBCs accumulate beyond the normal, it interferes with Vitally precious organ amd system functions/physiology.

It affects red blood cells production meaning oxygen carriage will be threatened big time. And also platelets formation will start reducing and without platelets there will be no clotting of wounds and bruises.

So a leukemic person becomes vulnerable on the outside to any bodily harm such as bruises, internal or external harms such as bleeding and even more infections.

So that is a start... yes it is terrible but medical science has made it possible for Leukemia to be beaten.

And additionally like I told Mujtahida... it is acute Leukemia... not chronic. What I am not yet sure of is whether it is Acute Myeloid or Acute Lymphoblastic... but whatever the case his chances are quite good. He should only remian positive and so far he is doing a good job of it.

Thank you.
Atleast I learnt something new today.
The most I know about anything health related is taking asprin for headache. Don't blame me, I'm just an ordinary engineer.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 9:22pm On Sep 03, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

I would assume you are just giving him a background knowledge so I won't take up anything from here.

However the main casualty here are the platelets, this is so because he is a sport man and they go get minor bruises. I have seen patients with red blood cell deficieny but they still survive well because blood can still dissolve oxygen, so that's apart. Lack of white blood cells is quite similar to what HIV does, and people survive with HIV, so that one is not the main problem.

Stimulating his blood and marrows to produce platelets yet again is going to take more than 9months at least so all these talk about world cup seems highly unlikely, let's pray he manages to make it out of the hospital for now

(1) (2) (3) ... (1405) (1406) (1407) (1408) (1409) (1410) (1411) ... (16530) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Caicedo, 123jamessmith, KpagoGIN(m), mostob(m), Jefersoun and 16 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.