Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,190 members, 7,873,873 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:10 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (16345) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11991356 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16342) (16343) (16344) (16345) (16346) (16347) (16348) ... (16394) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:12pm On Jun 15
Finidi was very flexible versus Benin. I had to correct yiu there regardless of the outcome of that game.

Mod
And Peseiro did not find his way. He wasn’t intentional but stumbled on it

Mujtahida:

Stiff coach who found his way to a working method. All our coaches have been stiff. Rohr was stiff, Peseiro stiff. Finidi in his short stint was stiff. The new coach once he finds a working method will be stiff. It's even a mantra in football: never change a winning team.

Incorporation of new ideas could mean playing the same method with different players in one or two positions.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:12pm On Jun 15
Goke7:

shebi it's the reason Finidi was given the job having witnessed all that happened in Afcon but he started talking about the captain band and formations. You see if you coach eagles, you just have to listen less to all these social media analysts, just like Eguavoen, Finidi allowed himself to be carried away. Keshi succeded because he listened less to armchair critics and he wasn't playing fancy football either.
Theoretical masters that have never coached any team in their lives will be telling coach what to do. Amazing
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by akwesenana: 6:13pm On Jun 15
Mujtahida:

Finidi is a quiet man but after his appointment he did media rounds. When I watched his interview on Arisetv, I got a deflated feeling and I lost motivation to watch his other interviews. He did not present the image of a confident man. There's something about the way a man talks that can be telling.

It's easy to say this things now but I wish he had succeeded. I really wished he did.
Ibime said he isn't fluent in English .

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 6:13pm On Jun 15
Goke7:

this our arrogance will never get us anywhere, we keep denying the fact that the coach had to make do with the materials he had then, I know the major grouse some of you have is the selection of players he took to the tournament but the truth remains we have tried several players and this free-flowing football we all want to see still has not happened. I wonder when it will. Thank God Paseiro is gone, I will continue to wait for the magic the next coach will do, one is down already, let's see what's next
nwakali in our midfield will make it happen 😎

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:13pm On Jun 15
Amedino99:
finidi's highest achievement is a league title, amunike's highest achievement is an age grade competition even though he has been coaching for around 16 years. Finidi is not good but amunike is not that better as an alternative either.

Finidi even lacked the right paper qualification. Lacked the coaching experience. Has little history in selecting and raising talents. But hey, you guys preferred him. 😂

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:14pm On Jun 15
akwesenana:
Ibime said he isn't fluent in English .
My concern is not for his fluency. He was diffident.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:16pm On Jun 15
I they come with update o. Get ready! lol
charlesemeka85:
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:16pm On Jun 15
Odunayaw:
grin I feel for you senior man

God's time is the best. What is yours will come to you. grin
Elyte89 try and dust your CV and test yourself with small countries like Swaziland or Djibouti first nawww
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 6:19pm On Jun 15
Joebie:
Problem is Finidi was a nobody under Peseiro. How the players go take look am? I wonder why he stayed at the “job”. There will always be a temptation to stamp some authority coupled with the missing players due to injury.

There is no guarantee that Peseiro would have done well in the absence of those players.

There was a reason Musa was in that team despite the complaints many of us have, Yes osihmen and Ekong were injured but what stopped Finidi from inviting them to camp even if it's to sit out at training to continue the team bonding we saw at Afcon.

Let's not forget we had injuries going to Afcon too which disrupted Paseiro's plans, Boniface, Nididi, Sadiq(true or not). I'll keep insisting we have lost something huge from Afcon.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:21pm On Jun 15
TheGoodJoe:

Because it is the template for growth.

It forms a platform for selecting the right players.

Attention for us to build as a team.

Even when it comes to selecting coaches, it will give us a template to select those that will help us grow. This should cut across all age grades.

We have tried the other way for too long that it has gotten to a point people believe our players can't even play the possession game.

Embracing heavy possession play will help us grow faster in the long run that staying stuck as we have done for years.

Finito.
God forbid the day we play tiki taka. God forbid. May that day never come.

Possession football yes, but you see that tiki taka where players are passing ball kpa, kpa, kpa like robots, God forbid that poison.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 6:22pm On Jun 15
charlesemeka85:

grin in project management we call it Assumption! you dey whine?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 6:24pm On Jun 15
Goke7:

grin in project management we call it Assumption! you dey whine?
Nwakali our beloved Toni Kroos Regen. He will make us qualify.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:27pm On Jun 15
I personally also criticized his invitations especially in defense. And I think that came back to bite him.

Non performing players or Injured players have no business in the official list. Yes, they can come to camp to motivate etc.

Goke7:

There was a reason Musa was in that team despite the complaints many of us have, Yes osihmen and Ekong were injured but what stopped Finidi from inviting them to camp even if it's to sit out at training to continue the team bonding we saw at Afcon.

Let's not forget we had injuries going to Afcon too which disrupted Paseiro's plans, Boniface, Nididi, Sadiq(true or not). I'll keep insisting we have lost something huge from Afcon.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:28pm On Jun 15
Joebie:
Finidi was very flexible versus Benin. I had to correct yiu there regardless of the outcome of that game.

Mod
And Peseiro did not find his way. He wasn’t intentional but stumbled on it

You do not know that he stumbled. I have said so too but we do not know. Neither you nor I are in his mind and we were not privy to how he came to using the method.

And the facts are more in favor of his being intentional about it than saying he stumbled. It was not like mid game he now tried out the method. No. He set his team that way from the beginning of a game. So it was deliberate. It's just that when he got good result with it, he stuck with it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:28pm On Jun 15
charlesemeka85:
That's what it's all about.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by codemaniacs: 6:29pm On Jun 15
Napoleon55:

Osimhen is 100% right about what?
he was right in cursing Finidi and everybody who complained about him?
swearing that "all of una no go die better"
by saying that,he insulted others join,
just because it was alleged that Finidi blamed him?

Nobody is happy in hearing that anybody questioned his commitment,he probably the most committed player,especially on the field of play.
But his outburst and his choice of words is wrong oga.
He might be richer but Finidi is not his mate and he even yet to attain his accomplishments.

He better come out and apologize without delay.
M no dey beg anybody to play,is because he has succeeded.
It was Nigeria that provided him the platform to succeed and a Nigerian coach ,he should remember that.

We all love him,he should not let his emotions destroy that

Osimhen is right about the NFF and the coaches inviting players that are nursing injuries...

If you have ever suffered a joint injury or muscle injury you will know Osimhen is speaking from a view of emotional and physical pain who has played through injuries and it has affected his Napoli performance and appearances.. and this adds to the trauma he has been bottling up..

it is good for his emotional and psychological health because it seems the NFF is not concerned about psychological, emotional and physical well being of the players...

when they play for their clubs their clubs ensure they are not injured and are fit and we all see how well they play for their clubs while when they play for the S.E they are not fit and are nursing injuries and put out lackluster performances and we blame the players...

I don't even think the S.E or Super Falcons have fitness coaches and psychologists on the team.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:32pm On Jun 15
TheGoodJoe:

Finidi even lacked the right paper qualification. Lacked the coaching experience. Has little history in selecting and raising talents. But hey, you guys preferred him. 😂
His point flew over you. Them no better or worse than the other but of course since it wasn't Amunike that has been exposed, you have covering to stand and shoot. But I know if he were the one exposed, you'd have found a way to excuse him. Those who supported Finidi's appointment are not excusing him but knowing you, I am certain that you'd have excused Amunike if he were the one exposed.

But since he's not the one exposed, go on. Go on with your song.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:37pm On Jun 15
I for vem believe had he changed strategies mid game.

So somehow, after the first game and before taking on the hosts in Ivory Coast, he just decided a new formula? You want me to believe this? That formula was meant for Ivory Coast. After that game he could not trust anything else.
Why did he play the FINAL with some injured players?

Mujtahida:

You do not know that he stumbled. I have said so too but we do not know. Neither you nor I are in his mind and we were not privy to how he came to using the method.

And the facts are more in favor of his being intentional about it than saying he stumbled. It was not like mid game he now tried out the method. No. He set his team that way from the beginning of a game. So it was deliberate. It's just that when he got good result with it, he stuck with it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 6:42pm On Jun 15
Joebie:

So somehow, after the first game and before taking on the hosts in Ivory Coast, he just decided a new formula? You want me to believe this? That formula was meant for Ivory Coast. After that game he could not trust anything else.

a coach just won his first game in a competition and you expect the coach to try something else to suit your fancy?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:53pm On Jun 15
See Ronaldinho lamenting. So much whining going on in football today. I blame tiki taka. It has taken something out of the game, out of the players. It has turned the players into robots, the game into a passionless affair.

Ronaldo hits on it when he mentions average players for the majority. That's what tiki taka does. It's all system. No exceptional players. No breathtaking talents. Once you can operate in the system, you are good to go. Imagine Maradona playing tiki taka. My God!

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by dijon: 6:53pm On Jun 15
Very well said. In my own opinion they were the foot soldier of the insanely corrupt glass house members.

They had 12 billion naira to spend to make the SE a global brand but they only desire in mediocrity so as to enrich themselves. I dont want to say much.
lovewins:

Totally agree with you on this. I however think the bolded absolves the administrators of responsibility. Yes the media can be funny but they don't make these decisions. Their options on NFF leadership doesn't move a needle, their opinion on policy chances doesn't move a needle we can't then credit them with coaches appointment and player invitation.

They are free to have an opinion on who should be the coach or who should be invited, it is however the responsibility of the NFF to take the best decision on the interest of Nigeria and historically the NFF hasn't been known to do that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by dijon: 6:56pm On Jun 15
He has decided to keep mute but let a foreign coach be employed and see him lead the gangsters again with crude and rudimentary epistle that is not far from racism.
mank1234:

Top on th list is Segun Odegbami and 94 set of SE.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:58pm On Jun 15
Mujtahida:

His point flew over you. Them no better or worse than the other but of course since it wasn't Amunike that has been exposed, you have covering to stand and shoot. But I know if he were the one exposed, you'd have found a way to excuse him. Those who supported Finidi's appointment are not excusing him but knowing you, I am certain that you'd have excused Amunike if he were the one exposed.

But since he's not the one exposed, go on. Go on with your song.

Amunike has more coaching education than Finidi. Finidi has a Uefa A license, Amunike has a UEFA Pro A and Masters, CAF Equivalent to Pro A license too. That to me already puts Amunike as better.

It is not by writing they are the same but give reasons.

Finito.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:58pm On Jun 15
Joebie:

Who he played the final with is not the issue. All I'm saying is that it was a deliberate decision to try it. And somehow it worked. Just think about it. Telling the players, this is how we will play. Ekong you do this, Bassey you do this, Osimhen you do this. And you say it was not intentional?

It's just like a man toasting many girls and decided to marry one. His toasting them was deliberate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:01pm On Jun 15
See Ronaldinho lamenting. So much whining going on in football today. I blame tiki taka. It has taken something out of the game, out of the players. It has turned the players into robots, the game into a passionless affair. See even Brazil of all nations. The spiritual home of football. I tell you guys that tiki taka will destroy football. I am telling you guys oo.

Ronaldo hits on it when he mentions average players for the majority. That's what tiki taka does. It's all system. No exceptional players. No breathtaking talents. Once you can operate in the system, you are good to go. Imagine Maradona, Pele, Zidane, Figo playing tiki taka. My God! I am filled with revulsion from the imagination.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 7:02pm On Jun 15
dijon:
He has decided to keep mute but let a foreign coach be employed and see him lead the gangsters again with crude and rudimentary epistle that is not far from racism.

All arrogance, we believe we have what we don't even have in the first place. we are an arrogant nation, I now begin to see what other African countries loathe in us.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 7:12pm On Jun 15
Mujtahida:
See Ronaldinho lamenting. So much whining going on in football today. I blame tiki taka. It has taken something out of the game, out of the players. It has turned the players into robots, the game into a passionless affair.

Ronaldo hits on it when he mentions average players for the majority. That's what tiki taka does. It's all system. No exceptional players. No breathtaking talents. Once you can operate in the system, you are good to go. Imagine Maradona playing tiki taka. My God!
I don't think those exact words are from Ronaldinho,
to resign from watching his national team play.

Though someone like me have not started and finish any of our matches for sometime because our football is longer what it used to be
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 7:13pm On Jun 15
daveP:
Nwakali our beloved Toni Kroos Regen. He will make us qualify.
Kross regen ke? No na 😡

U should be comparing him with the likes of Totti,Zizou,Baggio and Platini 😎
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:14pm On Jun 15
Mujtahida:
See Ronaldinho lamenting. So much whining going on in football today. I blame tiki taka. It has taken something out of the game, out of the players. It has turned the players into robots, the game into a passionless affair. See even Brazil of all nations. The spiritual home of football. I tell you guys that tiki taka will destroy football. I am telling you guys oo.

Ronaldo hits on it when he mentions average players for the majority. That's what tiki taka does. It's all system. No exceptional players. No breathtaking talents. Once you can operate in the system, you are good to go. Imagine Maradona, Pele, Zidane, Figo playing tiki taka. My God! I am filled with revulsion from the imagination.

You are looking at it from the wrong perspective. Players are growing around the world. Tiki tala.education has made it difficult for exceptional talents to work over average players. Even if Ronaldinho in his prime comes to today's football, he would not find it easy. No room for breakdancing on the pitch.

Ronaldinho should go to coaching school and come andngroom a team, let's see if he can scratch it. That time is past.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BankyGee(m): 7:16pm On Jun 15
So Finidi George said he can't beg Victor Osimhen to play for the national team. That's a subtle way of trying to push his loss on Osimhen, knowing fully well that Osimhen was injured over the two fixtures he (Finidi) lost. (My autocorrect just dey change Finidi to finish since 🤣)

Osimhen replied: I have lost every respect I had for Finidi George.
Everybody is trying to make it seem like Osimhen did bad. NO! He didn't!

Everybody knows Osimhen plays his hearts out in the Green White Green colors!
Heck! This man played Quarterfinals, Semifinals and Final matches of the AFCON with injury.
What was Finidi thinking?

Finidi said our national team players are not committed. Please did Peseiro force our players to play AFCON with injuries? Peseiro told a tired Frank Onyeka after HT 🆚 South Africa in the AFCON, you won't play 2nd half, Onyeka said he must play for the badge!

Players that played AFCON finals with injury.
- Williams Troost-Ekong
- Ola Aina
- Victor Osimhen
- Zaidu Sanusi

But they played their hearts out!
Which uncommitted player does that? Walahi, no local coach can coach the Super Eagles! NFF are failing to see how big of a job this is!
Get a world-class coach to coach world-class players and see if he can't instill discipline in the squad without causing bad blood in the back room.
Argentina squad is more like a family, even Morocco here in Africa. We dey carry who dey drag jersey with player coach team.

I have nothing against Osimhen's action, speak up! This was how MohBad kept quiet and may God rest his soul. Finidi George can't coach the Super Eagles! Finito!

Watch all Peseiro's press conferences, he has never blamed a player for a match gone wrong, even when it was obvious it was Uzoho that was a major problem in our team, Peseiro never blamed him for anything. Finidi is just a farmer blaming his tools for a work not done well.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzerooo: 7:29pm On Jun 15
Goke7:

this our arrogance will never get us anywhere, we keep denying the fact that the coach had to make do with the materials he had then, I know the major grouse some of you have is the selection of players he took to the tournament but the truth remains we have tried several players and this free-flowing football we all want to see still has not happened. I wonder when it will. Thank God Paseiro is gone, I will continue to wait for the magic the next coach will do, one is down already, let's see what's next

Bro are you saying that countries like Benin or South Africa or Mali have better players than us, this thing is just a coach having a clear strategy and the players believing in it because normally a coach that has Boniface already has an upperhand in Africa not to talk of Osimhen
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzerooo: 7:33pm On Jun 15
This is why our local 'coaches' should try their hands in actual coaching not sitting on their hands and waiting for the local coach slot to appear every 3-5 years, that's why I'm not keen on giving Amunike the job because what has been on his resume the last 5 years except running commentary on the SE?

11 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (16342) (16343) (16344) (16345) (16346) (16347) (16348) ... (16394) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: comodo, Kog45(m), shawwal1(m), GMBOFASIA and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.