Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,584 members, 7,878,653 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 12:15 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2911) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12019209 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2908) (2909) (2910) (2911) (2912) (2913) (2914) ... (16405) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 6:17pm On Feb 27, 2018
Brian Idowu's spotkick was saved by the GK of Avangard Kursk which sent them out of the Russian cup.

The spotkick was damn poor.

Same with Aaron but he scored his.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:26pm On Feb 27, 2018
bengine:

Thank you Sir Tbaba1234 for all the videos you post here..sometimes I wonder how you always find those videos..

It also seems u are first to report any breaking sport news here even before the news outlet carry it, keep up the good work bro..

He is indeed the special one.... One of these days we go arrange award for am... Real one. wink carry on Sir Tbaba1234.... Nothing do you....

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:30pm On Feb 27, 2018
Nna bros, I like your confidence sha. But what bothered me tremendously was the quality of the opposition coupled with the nature of the goals conceded. Well, like you said, let's hope that he has improved.

O pari

TheSuperNerd:

Hahahahahahahahaha..... Wow! Coming from you Icon79?! cheesy But you were sky-high in confidence saying Uzoho is your choice to be our starting GK at the mundial. Lol.... Sir Tbaba1234's small dossier on goals conceded by Uzoho come make you change mind sharp sharp.... Chaaaiiiiii.... Oga mii.... Check that confidence level oooo... Lol.

Please, Sir Tbaba only posted Uzoho's downtimes naa..... Something Chief Icon4s wanted to see too.... Uzoho is not Superman and neither is he unbeatable between the sticks. He is also still growing and is just 19 naa... Abi? So relax... He is still the same Francis Uzoho with bags of top class potential which made Deportivo throw him into the deep against Eibar in the LA liga. Also, most of those goals conceeded were from way back before the Spanish article described Uzoho of now as a young goalie who learns in a week what it takes a month for others to learn. The coaches at Deportivo hace seen this lad grow into a top prospect indeed and the Uzoho of now is not the same of five or six months ago.

I know we are in a dicey situation as regards our goalies.... Lol... But fact is we must make a choice after all... Hopefully it be the best choice. More like the "best risk" wink

I knew that a meltdown will happen once Sir Tbaba posted the clips of Uzoho's mishaps and goals conceeded from months back.... But I didn't expect Icon79 to go into 180 degrees turn around of absolute meltdown...... He dey even ask for nationality switch for any available top flight goalie not going to world cup.... Hahahahahahahahaha..... grin. Omo, Bros... You dey funny I swear... Hahahahahahahahaha....

I will pay more attention to the stats that shows Uzoho had kept quite an astonishing good amount of clean sheets from a good number of games... 11 shut outs in 17 in all... Come on... Rohr seems to have made his choice to place his trust in this big young lad. Hopefully he steps up to the challenge....

But for the comments of fear and uncertainty following those clips ehn.... Chaaiiiiiiii..... Una meltdown crack me up pass...

#Holymeltdown....Hahahahahahahahaha

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:35pm On Feb 27, 2018
I was thinking of the exact same thing as I watched the games this past weekend. Frankly, I would start exploring that option if I were Mr. Pinnick. FACT: You can't win the world cup without a solid goalkeeper. Offence wins matches but defense wins tournaments. And the goalkeeper is your last line of defense.

O pari

Humility017:

how I wish the bolded was possible....
wait...a minute can't the nff get a Nigeria passport for any of those good goalies probably in Germany or Italy who have no chances of featuring for their birth nations @ the world cup to come nautralize and come play for us....

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:35pm On Feb 27, 2018
mazimee:

On my way, where again is your address? tongue tongue
2,আউ ছঢণড়, আউয়জছ. That's my address.
I dey wait for you

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:39pm On Feb 27, 2018
Icon79:
Nna bros, I like your confidence sha. But what bothered me tremendously was the quality of the opposition coupled with the nature of the goals conceded. Well, like you said, let's hope that he has improved.

O pari

Nna some folks come dey harass me here on top say I requested for that video o.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:54pm On Feb 27, 2018
Icon4s:

Deal with it Dad.... grin

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:03pm On Feb 27, 2018
Icon79:

O pari

I truly understand your 180-degrees shift my good man. I do. I know you are bothered. I am too but I also have this deeper conviction within me that all will eventually go well if Rohr makes the right decisions be it bold and risky.

I just choose to believe as there is nothing much that can be done.... Maybe it is the shoulders if a young boy that may be our joker, as crazy as it sounds... I wanna just believe Rohr knows what he is doing. Nothing is officially decided yet.

Until then.... I choose to remain calm like the wakandan king, T'Challa wink

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:10pm On Feb 27, 2018
Eagles’ Goalkeeping Crisis: Rohr sends Trabelsi to monitor Maduka Okoye

In a bid to make sure the Super Eagles are strong and ready to compete on all fronts at the World Cup on Russia, Coach Gernot Rohr has sent his assistant, Nabil Trabelsi to monitor the performance of Fortuna Dusseldorf shot-stopper, Maduka Okeye with the aim of keeping the 18-year-old as a backup if the need arises.

AOIFootball.com can authoritatively report that the Franco-German is keen on selecting the best hands for the nation, with him wanting a stiffer competition for current number one Ikechukwu Ezenwa who has been deputizing well since the absence of Carl Ikeme last year.

Rohr had already sent goalkeeper trainer Enrico Pionetti to Spain to monitor Deportivo de la Coruna shot-stopper Francis Uzoho ahead of the friendly matches against Poland and Serbia.

However, Maduka is not expected to be named in the Eagles’ squad for next month’s friendly as the NFF are yet to make a formal approach for the German-born goalkeeper.

Similarly, Chippa United goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi is expected to be handed another chance to impress the Super Eagles’ coaches after his dismal outing in the last game against Argentina.

http://aoifootball.com/2018/02/27/eagles-goalkeeping-crisis-rohr-sends-trabelsi-to-monitor-maduka-okoye/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 7:31pm On Feb 27, 2018
Mujtahida:

Omaye calm down now. We've been having this discussion now for days with some of us sticking out for Uzoho until we saw those clips. You are free to be disappointed in those doubting Uzoho, just as any person who watched those clips is free to doubt him. Doubting him is the natural response from watching those clips. Nothing strange. Everyone's concern, fear, doubt or hope is legitimate in the circumstances we find our selves as per this goalkeeping issue. Those who believe in Uzoho are strong, those who don't are not weak. It's just a matter of perspective and what we desire in a goalie. Icon4s is a firm believer in experience as a criteria for choosing a goalie. He was ready to bend a little but that clip has made him tighten his grip on his beliefs. His reaction to the clip made me laugh. But look deeper and you'd see that that wasn't mere criticism, it's coming out of deep concern. It's the depth of his concern that made me laugh. Safarigirl on the other hand took everything in her stride. Normal, Bro.

perhaps you should encourage the house by dousing our fears.

Oma Attah, you know what I am talking about. You once spoke here about rebuking with love other than rebuking with despite. Just look at how hard they are coming for Uzoho like conceding goals is a taboo.

If they must criticize him then let it be with love and not kill his moral. Having 10 clean sheets out of 15 matches is not something you overlook even when achieved among his age groups.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:32pm On Feb 27, 2018
tbaba1234:
Eagles’ Goalkeeping Crisis: Rohr sends Trabelsi to monitor Maduka Okoye

In a bid to make sure the Super Eagles are strong and ready to compete on all fronts at the World Cup on Russia, Coach Gernot Rohr has sent his assistant, Nabil Trabelsi to monitor the performance of Fortuna Dusseldorf shot-stopper, Maduka Okeye with the aim of keeping the 18-year-old as a backup if the need arises.

AOIFootball.com can authoritatively report that the Franco-German is keen on selecting the best hands for the nation, with him wanting a stiffer competition for current number one Ikechukwu Ezenwa who has been deputizing well since the absence of Carl Ikeme last year.

Rohr had already sent goalkeeper trainer Enrico Pionetti to Spain to monitor Deportivo de la Coruna shot-stopper Francis Uzoho ahead of the friendly matches against Poland and Serbia.

However, Maduka is not expected to be named in the Eagles’ squad for next month’s friendly as the NFF are yet to make a formal approach for the German-born goalkeeper.

Similarly, Chippa United goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi is expected to be handed another chance to impress the Super Eagles’ coaches after his dismal outing in the last game against Argentina.

http://aoifootball.com/2018/02/27/eagles-goalkeeping-crisis-rohr-sends-trabelsi-to-monitor-maduka-okoye/
Wahala dey

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 7:40pm On Feb 27, 2018
Maduka Okoye as backup?

18 years old as backup to the world cup.

Okay o......

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:42pm On Feb 27, 2018
somehow:
Maduka Okoye as backup?

18 years old as backup to the world cup.

Okay o......

Back-up if Akpeyi fails to step up, i believe.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 7:46pm On Feb 27, 2018
somehow:
Watched Brian Idowu, Aaron Samuel and Fegor Ogude against Avangard Kursk.

Barren draw. Idowu appeared solid, Idowu is a beast going forward but kept leaving spaces behind for swift counter attack from his opponent.

He's quite fast though, so he covered up in some cases. he will be a great asset in the GWG Jersey and will surely perform excellently well if Ogu is on the pitch to cover for him when bursting forward.

I saw why Aaron Samuel ended up a lonee, no bite even with the height.

Fegor and yellow cards are friends. The rawness in his play is like his shadow, follows him about.
Idowu will be a perfect wingback. Players like him are always interested in joining the attack.

Though I'll love to see him play the LB role. Same for Ebuehi.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:46pm On Feb 27, 2018
realpoacher:

Oma Attah, you know what I am talking about. You once spoke here about rebuking with love other than rebuking with despite. Just look at how hard they are coming for Uzoho like conceding goals is a taboo.

If they must criticize him then let it be with love and not kill his moral. Having 10 clean sheets out of 15 matches is not something you overlook even when achieved among his age groups.
I get your point. I do. One thing that keeps me assured in the face of the gk issue is that I just know we will perform well in Russia. I just feel it's our time. I might be wrong but that's just how I feel.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 7:46pm On Feb 27, 2018
Haba, what happened to Alampasu, Ajiboye? Is Maduke better?

I wish it was these 2 or at least Alampasu that's getting this treatment, it would have made more sense to me.

This one weak me.

tbaba1234:

Back-up if Akpeyi fails to step up, i believe.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 7:47pm On Feb 27, 2018
somehow:
Watched Brian Idowu, Aaron Samuel and Fegor Ogude against Avangard Kursk.

Barren draw. Idowu appeared solid, Idowu is a beast going forward but kept leaving spaces behind for swift counter attack from his opponent.

He's quite fast though, so he covered up in some cases. he will be a great asset in the GWG Jersey and will surely perform excellently well if Ogu is on the pitch to cover for him when bursting forward.

I saw why Aaron Samuel ended up a lonee, no bite even with the height.

Fegor and yellow cards are friends. The rawness in his play is like his shadow, follows him about.

grin grin grin See finishing.... Chei! At bolded

Aaron Samuel and Feggor Ogude right now

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 7:48pm On Feb 27, 2018
In a 3:5:2 or 3:4:3 formation, e go sweet die to have both on the field of play.
AIG07:
Idowu will be a perfect wingback. Players like him are always interested in joining the attack.

Though I'll love to see him play the LB role. Same for Ebuehi.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 7:49pm On Feb 27, 2018
Daninya11:
Osas OKoro is on his way to a club side in Zambia
Zambia?
With his huge potential? Or is it not the same CHAN right back some people wants Rohr to invite and fight for shirt?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 8:00pm On Feb 27, 2018
Well said, bro. Well said!

O pari

TheSuperNerd:

I truly understand your 180-degrees shift my good man. I do. I know you are bothered. I am too but I also have this deeper conviction within me that all will eventually go well if Rohr makes the right decisions be it bold and risky.

I just choose to believe as there is nothing much that can be done.... Maybe it is the shoulders if a young boy that may be our joker, as crazy as it sounds... I wanna just believe Rohr knows what he is doing. Nothing is officially decided yet.

Until then.... I choose to remain calm like the wakandan king, T'Challa wink
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:01pm On Feb 27, 2018
Brian idowu has been invited for the March friendlies. .

now it's now left for echiejile and aina for the other left back slot.. who is ut gonna be??

TIME WILL TELL..

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=335031386986194&substory_index=0&id=213559532466714
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 8:03pm On Feb 27, 2018
somehow:
In a 3:5:2 or 3:4:3 formation, e go sweet die to have both on the field of play.
exactly. The most open position for grab aside the goalkeeping area is the LB. Aina has not been convincing as a left back in the GWG, we have not see enough of Idowu as LB (though he did well has LWB) and for Echiejile, the less we talk about him the better.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 8:03pm On Feb 27, 2018
Bros, I no blame them o. Those 4 video clips were killas - they kinda poured water to all our hopes and dreams sha sad
Right now, I don't have any other options but to reactivate my prayer warriors for Mission Russia.

O pari

Icon4s:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:08pm On Feb 27, 2018
Carl Ikeme will be invited to do the kickoff with Nigeria in their friendly against England at Wembley in June - Gernot Rohr

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:23pm On Feb 27, 2018
Clean sheets in the NPFL

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 8:32pm On Feb 27, 2018
Uzohor was "singled out" because unlike Ezenwa, Akpeyi, and even Alampasu, Rohrs hasn't had a chance to work with him closely. However, since he showed promise in the friendly match, Rohr made a good decision by sending his assistant to give him a real tryout to determine whether he's the true deal. In addition, we don't have the resources to assign personal trainers to all the goalkeepers at the same time .... we only have one real goalkeeper trainer.

O pari

somehow:
Yes, you stated that which gave birth to my statement on why it should be on Uzoho alone when we have issues with all the goal keepers available because i initially thought the report expected from the GK trainer was on all the GKs which is to inform Rohr's decision when it comes to positioning the GKs. maybe i confused you with the way i wrote it?

What i am simply saying is "one GK shouldn't have been singled out since he's not the only one needing some brushing up, Alampasu is even there". it makes it look like "preferential treatment" by this action has been picked already and might make the rest or some of them give up already especially the Instagram Alampasu lol. well if Uzoho end up coming out good, then its a risk worth the stress.

And Yes, i don't read everything, once i check the headline and it doesn't interest me, i skip it, not peculiar to me, you might be reading everything but i doubt everyone here does.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 8:33pm On Feb 27, 2018
Great idea. Kudos again to Rohr!

O pari

tbaba1234:
Carl Ikeme will be invited to do the kickoff with Nigeria in their friendly against England at Wembley in June - Gernot Rohr

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 8:40pm On Feb 27, 2018
And this brings me back to the questions, why hasn't any of these goalkeepers been given a tryout with the Super Eagles? The way things work in Nigeria is bizarre. I heard that Ezenwa is not even the first choice goalkeeper in this team. Hence, if he isn't the best goalkeeper in his team, how in the world did he become the Super Eagles keeper?

Why haven't Alloy Agu, Salisu Yusuf, and the other home based SE coaches taken the time to monitor the national league and pick out the best two goalkeepers in NPFL? There's no doubt in my mind that Daniel Akpeyi and Ikechukwu Ezenwa are NOT the best goalkeepers in Nigeria.

O pari

tbaba1234:
Clean sheets in the NPFL

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 8:47pm On Feb 27, 2018
Icon79:
Uzohor was "singled out" because unlike Ezenwa, Akpeyi, and even Alampasu, Rohrs hasn't had a chance to work with him closely. However, since he showed promise in the friendly match, Rohr made a good decision by sending his assistant to give him a real tryout to determine whether he's the true deal. In addition, we don't have the resources to assign personal trainers to all the goalkeepers at the same time .... we only have one real goalkeeper trainer.

O pari

But another article just stated that he sent his assistant to go monitor/help Maduka in Germany. That makes it 2.

Anyways i pray we end up with the best from the lot by june.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 8:48pm On Feb 27, 2018
Is Ajiboye no longer with Plateau United?
tbaba1234:
Clean sheets in the NPFL

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 8:48pm On Feb 27, 2018
Na wetin i see i comment o sir.
realpoacher:

grin grin grin See finishing.... Chei! At bolded

Aaron Samuel and Feggor Ogude right now
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 8:52pm On Feb 27, 2018
Same difference. He hasn't watched Maduka closely either, so that's how he's sending somebody to monitor him. Unlike those two folks, Rohr already knows all the strength and weaknesses of Akpeyi, Ezenwa, and to some extent Alampasu. So I think he's making the right call here.

O pari

somehow:

But another article just stated that he sent his assistant to go monitor/help Maduka in Germany. That makes it 2.

Anyways i pray we end up with the best from the lot by june.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2908) (2909) (2910) (2911) (2912) (2913) (2914) ... (16405) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Christinu2 and 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.