Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,978 members, 7,873,144 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:43 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3061) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11989539 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3058) (3059) (3060) (3061) (3062) (3063) (3064) ... (16392) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 2:03pm On Mar 19, 2018
Kog45:
...just heard it but need to confirm from tbaba1234 may be it's true
if it is me, even am on crutches, I'll definitely attend this friendly cos it's going to be the last opportunity for some them to showcase theirselves... ( in respect to newbies like j.obi,ajayi )
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 2:03pm On Mar 19, 2018
somehow:
Oh God, this GK and the defense na insult to football! shocked shocked shocked

Speechless!
The entire team are an insult to football. that defence was wider than a bucket �

Not used to playing at night? perhaps that is the excuse that would be tabled soon.

See that keeper wey just dey fly before ball settle..... crap team....

Were they jet lagged? lol

I must ask all the questions cos I'm wondering what went wrong there. Not even a second of them attacking their hosts....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 2:14pm On Mar 19, 2018
krattoss:
if it is me, even am on crutches, I'll definitely attend this friendly cos it's going to be the last opportunity for some them to showcase theirselves... ( in respect to newbies like j.obi,ajayi )
True talk LAST OPPORTUNITY but i think injured players should stay out cos trio of Ebuhei, Joel Obi and Etebo failed fitness test in their clubs,hope they are fit before Friday.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 2:22pm On Mar 19, 2018
chrisooblog:
sarcasm doesn't suit u I repeat kc has scored 5 cup goals 4 in fa cup and 1 in league cup so stop misinforming the house

Yes you are right abraham hasn't regressed and it wasn't him who missed an open goal yesterday it was the post that was foolish enough not to move on time to accommodate abraham shot in its net

Hehehe

And you schooled him in the art of sarcasm.

you evul!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 2:28pm On Mar 19, 2018
Certitude:

For God sake, how do tackles not win championship. If an argument can be made for interceptions, then why not tackles. A good tackle would have prevented a good interception. It also returns possession to your team to do whatever you like with the ball... Though na scores we dey count at the end of the game but all these contributes to the final scoreline at the end of the day jo.

Factually a good tackle CAN NEVER prevent a good interception. I mean if you intercept the ball even before the player gets the pass then what's the essence of a tackle? It's only when you fail to intercept a pass that you depend on your ability to tackle outrightly. Also consider the fact that when a player makes a forward pass, he immediately starts moving in an attacking sense, now if he passes the ball for a one-two for example and you intercept it, the said player would have been making a run to go and get a reverse pass and this provides an open channel for you to exploit. But when a player is comfortably on the ball and is approaching you one on one, his teammates would be settled in their position looking out for loss of possession.

Now don't get this whole thing wrong Sir, of course tackles are important since interceptions won't always work. But Busquets is not a tackling god, he excels in interceptions and that's what makes him the best at what he does. Mikel too when he was a DMF was not exactly a tackling machine, he effectively plugged spaces and won back possession without making any tackle. Then you come back to what we have here, Ndidi-Onazi combo does not exactly work because both are more concerned with tackles instead of plugging spaces and making clean interceptions. Now I just gave you practical applications of the theories I just propounded and we know that when a theoritical dysfunction(such as non-disjunction or Trisomy 21) leads to a clinical disease(in this case Down's Syndrome) then it should be taken serious.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:32pm On Mar 19, 2018
tbaba1234:

I think, he should stay away from Mourinho.. He should move to Liverpool

I concur.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kentebemoney: 2:41pm On Mar 19, 2018
olu98:
back to my ghost/observe mode.
Come back here my friend angry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:44pm On Mar 19, 2018
eterisan:
yes klopp with his ghen ghen pressing or pep at city with his tika tika.... Ndidi needs a coach who will greatly improve him... Who else but those two.... He's next move is gonna be really critical in his development as a player.... One to watch out for.... Boss tbaba1234 what do you think.. One is allowed to dream Àbí..

Make Chelsea buy am!?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:58pm On Mar 19, 2018
tbaba1234:
I fear Leicester might demand too much for Ndidi..

That's a good one.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:05pm On Mar 19, 2018
Wasn't a close call? Funny.... Even Whoscored.com disagrees with this.

Icon79:
Ndidi had a massive game yesterday but he didn't play better than Kante. Ngolo Kante was the BEST player on the pitch yesterday. It wasn't even a close call.

O pari

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 3:05pm On Mar 19, 2018
Kog45:
...just heard it but waiting for tbaba1234 confirmation.
Over visa issues

https://www.kingfut.com/2018/03/19/junior-ajayi-nigeria-friendly/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:08pm On Mar 19, 2018
Really? So Ndidi scored higher than Kante on whoscored? Were they watching a different game?

And you wonder why I rarely put any stock on most of those pundits?

O pari

TheSuperNerd:
Wasn't a close call? Funny.... Even Whoscored.com disagrees with this.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:10pm On Mar 19, 2018
What do you mean by "not near Kante"? undecided

The game I watched yesterday? I guess even Whoscored.com saw the wrong game too to rate Ndidi ahead of Kante abi? Una too funny ooo

forgiveness:

Yes! Ndidi played better than Babayoko but he was not near Kante.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 3:12pm On Mar 19, 2018
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:13pm On Mar 19, 2018
Nope.... I think you guys saying Kante was miles ahead of Ndidi in that game are the ones who saw a different game... Or possibly your eyes were only just on Kante. Kante was massive for Chelsea and on a couple of occasions made beautiful runs from deep in midfield but Ndidi was also the octopus covering every blade of grass intercepting plays and winning balls for his side cleanly thru top class tackles..... He even started the move that led to Leicester's goal.... Ndidi topped Kante in that game despite Chelsea's win. So Whoscored.com don become crap now abi? grin

Icon79:
Really? So Ndidi scored higher than Kante on whoscored? Were they watching a different game?

And you wonder why I rarely put any stock on most of those pundits?

O pari

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 3:15pm On Mar 19, 2018
chrisooblog:
do we all remember this gem of a post from forgiveness this life sha �

Epic! No be him post am o! Na im alias....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:25pm On Mar 19, 2018
Croatia Coach Confirms Modric, Rakitic For Peru, Mexico Friendlies; Lovren Out
0 March 19, 2018 2:44 pm

Croatia head coach Zlatko Dalić has named his final squad that will play their friendly games against Peru on 23 March and Mexico on 27 March in Dallas.

The squad includes Real Madrid midfielder Luca Modric, Barcelona’s Ivan Rakitic, Inter Milan’s Ivan Perišić and Juventus Mario Mandžukić.

The team will be without Liverpool’s Dejan Lovren who misses out due to a foot injury, Besiktas loanee Matej Mitrović who misses out due to a hamstring injury, alongside Ivan Santini and Marin Leovac.

The squad:

Goalkeepers: Danijel Subašić (Monaco), Lovre Kalinić (Gent), Dominik Livaković (Dinamo Zagreb)

Defenders: Domagoj Vida (Besiktas), Vedran Ćorluka (Lokomotiv Moscow), Zoran Nižić (Hajduk), Josip Pivarić (Dynamo Kyiv), Ivan Strinić (Sampdoria), Šime Vrsaljko (Atletico Madrid), Tin Jedvaj (Bayer Leverkusen).

Midfielders: Milan Badelj (Fiorentina), Ivan Rakitić (Barcelona), Marcelo Brozović (Inter), Mateo Kovačić (Real Madrid), Marko Rog (Napoli), Mario Pašalić (Spartak Moscow), Filip Bradarić (Rijeka), Luka Modrić (Real Madrid).

Forwards: Ivan Perišić (Inter), Ante Rebić (Eintracht), Marko Pjaca (Schalke), Andrej Kramarić (Hoffenheim), Mario Mandžukić (Juventus), Duje Čop (Standard Liege), Nikola Kalinić (Milan)

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/croatia-coach-confirms-modric-rakitic-for-peru-mexico-friendlies-lovren-out/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by eterisan(m): 3:48pm On Mar 19, 2018
forgiveness:

Make Chelsea buy am!?
I nr sure say space de dere for am. ... Liverpool better.... If the rumours are true. ... The thing is Liverpool nor de win trophy.... Lolz... Liverpool fans will come for my head now.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 3:48pm On Mar 19, 2018
He will be dropped? remind me again, how many defenders do we currently have on the list that was submitted for the friendlies? need to know how you were able to know that Omeruo would be dropped when we have close to 10 defenders on the list.
tbaba1234:

What about recent trends? Does that qualify?

Which Centre Back has been dropped out of recent squads including the crucial qualifiers against Cameroon?

It is clear what the pecking order is, right now. Ofcourse, Omeruo can impress the coaches in the coming friendlies but as it stands right now. If any CB will drop out, he is likely to be the one.

Nothing is set in stone. Omeruo can impress enough to even be a starter in Russia. I am analyzing based on what is the current situation now.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:52pm On Mar 19, 2018
Icon79:
Definitely not a great pass by Nacho but you're right, Mahrez was at a greater fault for dilly dallying with the ball for too long. I mean, he still had plenty of time after receiving the ball to do something good with it but he decided to dilly dally. Unfortunately, the clueless British commentators would lay all the blame on Kelechi sad

O pari

As soon as Iheanacho was on the break, my heart cut (as Chelsea fan) grin but I was relieved as soon as Iheanacho put the ball behind Mahrez because Chelsea players were able to quickly recover and close in on Mahrez, and eventually crowded him like ants.

In that case,Mahrez option was either to stretch to the right or release the ball but he choosed to to do the Messi style. Hahahaha! Menh.... As a Chelsea fan, I was relieved. grin

I thank both of them anyway.

1. because Iheanacho pass killed the flow of the attack and prevented Leicester city from scoring. grin

2. Because Mahrez decision to dribble instead of passing the ball gifted the ball to Chelsea's players who eventually led to the goal. grin

I Congratulate both of em for a Job well done though I wished Iheanacho scored a consolation goal only. grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 3:56pm On Mar 19, 2018
inexperience on the part of the players and the coaching crew.

They were welcomed pretty well to international football.

@thread, menn, una too fast o, just 1 day of less of not posting here, the pages have skyrocketed.

Still trying to keep up. chei angry
daveP:
The entire team are an insult to football. that defence was wider than a bucket �

Not used to playing at night? perhaps that is the excuse that would be tabled soon.

See that keeper wey just dey fly before ball settle..... crap team....

Were they jet lagged? lol

I must ask all the questions cos I'm losting what went wrong there. Not even a second of them attacking their hosts....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 3:59pm On Mar 19, 2018
If Kalinic is striking for Croatia Vs Nigeria, our defenders gats be aware. cos the guy have a very crafty positioning.

I've watched couple of games of him in Milan Jersey and I must twale for him in that regard. Not to lethal, but good positioning.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 4:01pm On Mar 19, 2018
somehow:
inexperience on the part of the players and the coaching crew.

They were welcomed pretty well to international football.

@thread, menn, una too fast o, just 1 day of less of not posting here, the pages have skyrocketed.

Still trying to keep up. chei angry
Lol. if it passes 20pages, I skip every 3pages and read, then skip again.
but if less than 20,i must catch, especially if na argument wey no carry head.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:02pm On Mar 19, 2018
daveP:
If Kalinic is striking for Croatia Vs Nigeria, our defenders gats be aware. cos the guy have a very crafty positioning.

I've watched couple of games of him in Milan Jersey and I must twale for him in that regard. Not to lethal, but good positioning.

Was he part of the team that played Arsenal at the Europa league?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 4:05pm On Mar 19, 2018
Icon4s:

Was he part of the team that played Arsenal at the Europa league?
Yeah. Came on as a sub. He went deep as though he wasn't the 9. But in some moments of concentration loss, his first touch was a hard header that miss the post by a few inches. Touched the ball several other times inside the 18,and couldn't be dispossessed.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 4:09pm On Mar 19, 2018
daveP:
yeah. came on as a sub. his went deep as though he wasn't the 9. But in some moments of concentration loss, his first touch was a hard header that miss the post by a few inches. touched the ball several other times inside the 18,and couldn't be dispossessed.

the person i seem to fear more is actually perisic with those his marauding runs on the left flank
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:12pm On Mar 19, 2018
daveP:
yeah. came on as a sub. his went deep as though he wasn't the 9. But in some moments of concentration loss, his first touch was a hard header that miss the post by a few inches. touched the ball several other times inside the 18,and couldn't be dispossessed.

Na him you say make we dey fear?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 4:17pm On Mar 19, 2018
You did a wonderful job Sir Danycrusoe.

Sorry I admonished your eforts very late.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:20pm On Mar 19, 2018
Ezenwa in Eagles second batch out to Poland today

Goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa and some other officials including assistant coach Imama Amapakabo will fly out this night for a World Cup warm-up in Poland.

Ezenwa was in goal for Enyimba in a CAF Confederation Cup clash against Energie FC of Benin Republic in Calabar Sunday.

The first batch of officials flew out from Abuja on board Luftansa Sunday and they included coach Salisu Yusuf and team administrator Dayo Enebi.

The Super Eagles will take on fellow World Cup qualifiers Poland on Friday in Wroclaw as part of their preparations for the World cup in Russia in June.

They also face another World Cup-bound team Serbia in London four days later.

Source: http://googleweblight.com/i?u=http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2018/03/19/ezenwa-in-eagles-second-batch-out-to-poland-today/&hl=en-NG&tg=206&tk=1022093089814578888

Russia 2018 WC Countdown: 86 days 23 hours 39 mins to go
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:21pm On Mar 19, 2018
Thanks goodness say na Shehu or Ebuehi him go jam for dia... grin

asha80:

the person i seem to fear more is actually perisic with those his marauding runs on the left flank

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:24pm On Mar 19, 2018
eterisan:
I nr sure say space de dere for am. ... Liverpool better.... If the rumours are true. ... The thing is Liverpool nor de win trophy.... Lolz... Liverpool fans will come for my head now.

Wetin Babayoko dey add to the team?

Well, Liverpool better for now.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:24pm On Mar 19, 2018
forgiveness:

As soon as Iheanacho was on the break, my heart cut (as Chelsea fan) grin but I was relieved as soon as Iheanacho put the ball behind Mahrez because Chelsea players were able to quickly recover and close in on Mahrez, and eventually crowded him like ants.

In that case,Mahrez option was either to stretch to the right or release the ball but he choosed to to do the Messi style. Hahahaha! Menh.... As a Chelsea fan, I was relieved. grin

I thank both of them anyway.

1. because Iheanacho pass killed the flow of the attack and prevented Leicester city from scoring. grin

2. Because Mahrez decision to dribble instead of passing the ball gifted the ball to Chelsea's players who eventually led to the goal. grin

I Congratulate both of em for a Job well done though I wished Iheanacho scored a consolation goal only. grin

Bia this man!!! Just commot for hia.... Egbon take ya time... because una survive Leicester scare yesterday... angry

(1) (2) (3) ... (3058) (3059) (3060) (3061) (3062) (3063) (3064) ... (16392) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.